Leave the dog alone

Written by Camberwell Gooner

The final weekend before the Premier League kicks off is over, and all that separates us from competitive football is five long days of work (or daytime TV, depending on your current situation). We’re coming to the end of the Worst Pre-Season Ever (copyright), our squad is paper-thin with no real sign of reinforcements, and Rooney is not just a big-mouthed, balding granny shagger, he also believes that coming back from 2-0 down represents a “footballing lesson”.

Last season, Arsenal’s pitiful descent into the abyss of fourth place when second could have very realistically been achieved, is better than well documented. It’s been discussed, documented, dissected, deconstructed, denounced and, finally, flagellated to within an inch of its life and left to rot on the slagheap round the back of the old coal mine. Meanwhile, Arsenal are the naughty dog slinking back into the house, tail between its legs, after laying a steaming turd (last season’s performance) on the herbaceous borders in the back garden. And some fans have taken on the role of the fuming, green-fingered owner who has administered serial beatings to said hound with a rolled-up copy of the Sun, while others are the sympathetic wife defending Rover – even though this is the SIXTH time he’s done it.

So we’ll leave that smelly dog mess where it is, or better still, bury it so that it can nourish the azaleas…and I have no idea what the flowers represent. (Note to self: ease off the metaphor. It’s getting tired now.)

The Guardian’s season preview booklet thingy is out and for me this is the light at the end of the tunnel, the sign that the very silly season is almost over and we can all enjoy a good few months without its nonsense and our own repetitive navel-gazing. Some of the stats make for some interesting reading, so I did a very quick, extremely dirty and utterly unscientific comparison of Arsenal against other top clubs to see if I could glean anything of note, a sparkly diamond in the rough if you like. My eyebrows were raised more than once during my ‘research’ (and not in the disapproving, “Good God! What perfectly abominable behaviour!” sense, more in the, “I say! Corking stat old chap!” way).

I said myself that in the latter part of last season our attack became stale, slow and predictable – a bit like Old Twitchy’s speech patterns after too much ale, but I actually found that…….

We led the league in shot accuracy with 47.5%, followed closely by Liverpool with 47.2%, ranging down to the Spuds with 41.6%.

We also had the highest pass accuracy (83.7% compared to Liverpool with 77.2% and the others close to us around the 80% mark)

……but hit the woodwork more than anyone else (22 times, The Chavs running us very close with 21, then the others no more than 14 times). Which means we’re the most accurate shooters, but still need to be, er, more accurate.

Even though we scored more than most (72 times to be precise, and you’re probably not that bothered about the other clubs’ stats in this area…what’s that? You are? OK then. As we all know, the Spuds are constantly breathing down our necks and soon to replace us as the biggest club in North London, and they’re well on their way to doing this, scoring a whopping 55 league goals last term. Sorry Spuds, not even close. Now get back in your box. Thwack! *twats them with the Observer – no supplements removed*).

I’ve intentionally left out a lot of other figures as they don’t tell us anything we didn’t already know (and they’re kind of dull), but it’s not hard to see that we’re quite a bit better than the baying, pitchfork-wielding, firebrand-waving mob would have you believe. And before people start lighting Molotov cocktails and sharpening their gardening tools, would they please read my disclaimer below:

1. I don’t think we’re the best in the league.
  2. I know last season sucked ass over and over again.
  3. I agree we still need more signings.
  4. I’m just as worried as others are about our tough opening fixtures.
  5. I’m not a Wenger apologist.
  6. I do think the board have feet of clay.
  7. I do wonder how good Gazidis actually is.

BUT……….

We kick off on Saturday. It’s a new season. It’s the Barcodes away. And we owe them a hiding. Let’s all get behind the boys. We Are The Arsenal. Come on you reds.

138 Responses to Leave the dog alone

1. DM says:

Good post, totally with you on this. The new season is arriving and with it should be excitement. None of us can know just how well we’re going to perform but one thing we can all do is HOPE that we perform far-better than our critics our expecting. To be honest, we pretty much do that every season, so it’s not all that unlikely.

We all want another signing or two before the new season begins and that may yet become a reality, but even if it doesn’t there’s simply no point in having a defeatist attitude before we’ve even kicked off the new campaign.

Yes – our doubters may be proved right.
    Yes – our defence may be just as leaky as a year ago
    Yes – our midfield may not survive cope without the possible loss of Cesc and/or Nasri
    But you know what, these are all mights and maybes. We may also prove everyone wrong. Surely as supporters our role is at the very least to hope for the best things. I don’t believe every Arsenal supporter automatically has to get on board and say they agree with everything that happens when they actually don’t – air your views, that’s fine. But at the end of the day, the new season beckons and the time for all that is over, now it’s time to sit back, watch and, most of all, support.

2. harry says:

Nice article Camberwell Gooner, I echo most of your sentiments in that, we should all just now get behind the team and support, it does help as GIE was saying in his article…….

I dont agree that the Squad is paperthin………That would suggest we need about 4 or 5 more signings…….?

We need 1 or 2 only, A CB and a Striker…….Thats not paperthin

A great mixture of stuff and humour.
    Thinking for a split second only, and pondering our fourth place, I am working on a new theory, and it is not so much about prioritizing competitions, rather whether we should effectively only enter one. Mmmmm

4. Gooner In Exile says:

Camberwell that is one helluva post….top work.

Harry,
    I would argue we need two assuming we keep Cesc to compete for fourth which is fine by me. I have a problem with 1 or 2 as well as competing on four fronts.
    Bin the CC for a kick off I say.

6. Dan says:

We WILL get a CB, I’m 95% sure of it, so I’m feeling quite confident in our starting XI. However, I think too many of our players are injury prone.. vermaelen, RVP, diaby, fabregas, walcott to name a few. When the injuries start to hit is when we really struggle and I must say I don’t have too much confidence in our second XI… especially in defense and up front.

7. Surrey Gunner says:

Thank you for this refreshing post it pretty upbeat. I found the seven qualifiers (particularly number seven) was a pretty good summary of how I feel about the coming season. I think what really hurt about last season is what could have been, what should have been and what could have happened if we had a stronger squad.

I still feel very angry about Cesc (if he ever ever says that his heart is at Arsenal or Arsenal supporters are the best in the world. I will. I’m not sure what I’ll do, but……..).

As you rightly say the thing we need to focus on Newcastle understand our strengths and for the players to focus and build a resilient team spirit. As for the board that i tell them a secret we need experienced, robust and gutsy central defenders, you need to cough up now.

8. The cabbie says:

Camberwell Gooner ,Camberwell is that not south of the river ,go support Millwall ,because you dont support Arsenal

The cabbie,

I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion – I suggest you read the article again.

From your comment it is unclear whether you are in the ‘no criticism is allowed camp’ or the ‘we’re a disaster, Wenger out’ brigade.

Either way, Camberwell Gooner makes the point very clearly that whichever way you feel, support the Arsenal – and that’s what he does passionately so please don’t suggest he ‘go support Milwall’

10. Red Arse says:

CamberwellG,

Excellently well written. Amusing ‘doggy’ allegory in summing up the end to last season, but jauntily positive in the outlook for the the coming season. What’s not to like? 🙂

11. Camberwell Gooner says:

Rasp, you’re right. I always make my “pints” very clearly indeed! 🙂

Thanks all for the support.

Cabbie, please check your facts. I do support Arsenal as I’ve made abundantly clear. The only non-supporter on here is you.

😛 CG, I’ve edited myself – and I owe you a point – sorry pint, for providing such an excellent post even though it seems to have gone over the head of some!

13. Camberwell Gooner says:

I’ll take you up on that Rasp. Whether it’s a pint or a point.

14. Crispen says:

Great article…… and let CESC go his 15 games a season can be replaced…

15. Saravanan says:

Again a KId… wow jenkinson now chamberlain or whatever….14 M Euro for chamberlain is very soar to read, when 17M Euro could have brought us cahill,jagielka or even 6M euro for mertesacker. why chamberlain when you have walcott,miyachi,rosicky,gervinho,arshavin,lansbury,ramsey or even unsold eboue could be used as attacking winger(hoping nasri leaves). Somebody say to wenger he is really out of his minds.

16. HateTheMancs says:

Camberwell – excellent post, very funny, accurate and balanced. Only ever so slightly biased 🙂 You must be a Gunner 🙂

*twats them with the Observer – no supplements removed* – whom? cabbie?

Incidentally, did you see that Totnum have just signed a new striker ……… Grabatelli

18. Camberwell Gooner says:

Mancs, seeing as cabbie is probably a Sp*d, he’s definitely included.

CG, we could have got you many more hits for you by spicing up the title, but it would have attracted more numpties too.

That’s the trouble with wit, it ensnares the hard of thinking.

20. Camberwell Gooner says:

Plus my open letter to the OED ended up on the cutting room floor 🙂

Sorry CG, I was unaware – did peaches make some changes?

22. Camberwell Gooner says:

No worries Rasp – I’m new to this blogging lark and happy to defer to those who’ve been doing it a lot longer than me 🙂 🙂

23. 26may1989 says:

Was that a cabbie asking directions to Camberwell? The Knowledge ain’t what it used to be.

24. HateTheMancs says:

26 – NOTHING is what it used to be

25. WiganGooner says:

Great read Camberwell, there was something for everyone in there.

Certainly agree with you and I believe in all of this almost Emo, self-harming negativity surrounding Arsenal it is difficult for many fans to see the potential of our squad.

I think we have a midfield, forward combination that can really set the league alight. I just want one more defender to ensure Squillaci never pulls on the red and white again. I used to defend the guy as he used to be a decent player a few years back, not world-shatteringly good, but a solid player but he is so bereft of confidence now he’s a liability.

WG

Afternoon WG,

What is your assessment of Scott Dann as a defender, and where would you expect him to featrure in our CB pecking order?

27. oz gunner says:

@ CG

very well written article,thoroughly enjoyed it.

@ Rasp

surely he’d be 4th choice behind djourou. i haven’t seen all the much of him but i do know he caused us a few problems and didn’t give RVP an inch. What is his speed like does anyone know?

28. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

Scott Dan is 24 y.o. and 6′ 2″ tall. Previously played for Walsall and Coventry City, and he is relatively cheap at £6m – £10m, but is he worth that? Don’t know.

Never noticed him playing frankly, so not an eye catcher, but you never know.

Born in Liverpuddle so if they firm up their interest he will probably want to join them.

What happened to our interest in Subotic and Mertsecker, let alone Cahill or Samba? Too expensive, perhaps?

29. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp, RA

Scott Dann is a decent defender, he’s got potential. His build is a mix of Vermaelen and Koscielny, he’s a bit slight, but he’s tall and strong.

I wouldn’t say he would get in front of either of the above, but I think he’d be an asset as 3rd/4th choice. He certainly has time on his side and a move to a big club is due.

Interestingly, it seems Blackburn are closing in on a centre back from Leicester, perhaps they are getting him in and then we’ll sign Samba? That’s my thought.

WG

30. oz gunner says:

its reported that liverpool will indeed pip us for his signature (no great lose there though in my opinion). I think wegner is too frugol to buy cahill when he knows next season he can snap him up for free, the real question is though could we get him if city or chelsea come in offering ridiculous wages?!

Samba would be a good buy for those games where we don’t want to be pushed around, and his leadership abilities would be great to have. As for mertsecker i would love to see the big 6’6 german international play for us. Hes in the last year of his contract so with the reported 6 million asking fee he would be a steal. Yes he lacks pace but hes a monster and pretty good on the ball. Not to mention his latest interview which pretty much says “come and buy me”

31. oz gunner says:

@ WG

but wouldn’t they just be bringing him in to partner samba and replace jones?

Thanks WG, oz g,

I thought there was a question mark over Samba’s fitness – something about a chronic knee problem?

Afternoon RA, thanks for the info.

I would still prefer Cahill as an out and out CB or Jagielka if we wanted a multipositional defender.

34. WiganGooner says:

@ Oz Gunner

The problem with Mertesacker is that he’s had a rather poor season, coming off the back of that would Arsene gamble on him when he’s said he wants someone with Premier League experience?

WG

….. they do say that if a CB is any good, you don’t notice him. Rather like keepers, they usually get publicity when they muck up.

36. oz gunner says:

the one thing that helps arsenal is that bolton are in desperate need of a striker (they lost two. one returning from a loan and one for free so no money gained), so like everton they need to sell before they can buy. So arsene might just be playing hard ball until one of them cracks.

37. oz gunner says:

@ WG

that is true it would be a gamble due to the lack of PL experience, and the settling time. However i’m an optimist and i’d like to think he’d settle in like vermaelen or luiz. Safety or money saved? wegner does like a cheapie

38. WiganGooner says:

@Rasp

I don’t know about the knee problem, but the last thing we need is another crock. However he has played between 35 and 40 games every season over the last 4 years.

That’s not too bad, certainly better than some in our current squad and as a backup/rotational purchase I’d go for it.

WG

39. WiganGooner says:

@Oz

David Luiz is stunning at attacking corners but I didn’t rate him as an excellent defender last season. I thought he did ok, certainly scored some critical goals, but defending I thought he was a bit off the pace, to be expected.

I do expect great things from him this season though.

WG

40. 26may1989 says:

Like many, I’ve not noticed Scott Dann much, he’s certainly not what I had in mind when the campaign to reinforce the defence began. But I do recall last summer reading the comments of a particularly knowledgeable French pundit, who was asked to comment on our signing of then-unknown Laurent Koscielny. He said even for aficionados of French football it was an incredible signing, a real bolt from the blue, for Koscielny to be picked up by a club of Arsenal’s stature (remember, Arsenal are still respected in France, even if not in England or amongst many Arsenal fans). And he then likened it to Arsenal signing someone as obscure as Scott Dann. And now here we are….

Nice article by the way Camberwell, thanks. I reckon we’ll beat the Geordies by a couple at the weekend.

41. oz gunner says:

@ WG

your definently right on the attacking and critical goals side of things, his defensive game is questionable due to his inexperience. For instance the game against manure where he should of been sent off. But hey anyone who clobbers into rooney and hernandez deserves a round of applause not a card

42. WiganGooner says:

@Oz

Completely agree, though naturally I don’t condone any violence towards any player 😛

WG

43. oz gunner says:

@ WG

nor do i, but a whack in the gob doesn’t hurt for to long and i’m not going to say i didn’t enjoy diabys karate kick to terrys head haha.

44. London says:

A very entertaining post CG with some very interesting pints, I’ll drink to that.

45. By the way Breaking News:

Cesc will sign for Barca on Weekend, €30m +€5m Variables +€5m Cesc Wages

Oh hang on its from Guillerme Ballague…….as you were

46. Red Arse says:

OK, bit quiet on here today, so I thought I would stir things up a bit! 🙂

My girl friend, well one of them, has ‘phoned me to say that the Spanish sportscasters are full of the ‘news’ that Barca have today offered Arsenal £30m plus add ons, spread over 4 years, of £5m making a total of £35m for Cesc — which is £5m less than last year???.
    Less certain is that Cesc, in addition, will forego £4m or £5m of the money he would normally be entitled to under his contract for NOT asking for a transfer! (What bollox is that?)

Great jubilation over there that Arsenal will accept because they are in a bind with Cesc having gone all moody. (I’m not sure about that!).

Anyway, we will know pretty, pretty, pretty soon!

So, if that is so, with other reports declaring that Nasri’s transfer seems a foregone conclusion (who knows?), Arsene will have to wave the magic wand.

Let’s say that both Cesc and Nasri both go (I know London – you will eat your hat or my shorts whatever – but let’s just say for the sake of argument that will happen), so what are we left with?

Out: Clichy? Gone.– Nasri ? Gone-ish. — Cesc? Even more gone-ish.

Ins: Forget the kids. Gerv; Oxbow, Jenks.

Result to date? Not a good swap, is it?

Arsene promised us last week he hoped to sign not just a quality player, but a super quality player.
    He has to come up with someone special in that case, Wossa Mata? – and not just Scott Dan.

Please Arsene – go do the biz – I could not stand another session of rabid, cruel comments — and I might have to take a sabbatical until it blows over. —— The bollox I will !! 🙂

47. WiganGooner says:

I think Arsene accepted he’d possibly lose Cesc this summer at the end of last season. He knew he couldn’t lost him for less than 35million as we’d be a laughing stock.

What he didn’t bank on was Nasri pulling a fast one.

I am very interested in who he will get to replace them both. My gut tells me it won’t be anyone we expect, personally I doubt he will replace them at all.

WG

48. SharkeySure says:

CG-Brilliant post!

49. Right I have just listened to Footballistically Arsenal to see whether I was right to write it off after only a few episodes, turns out I was…

Have just heard someone make the following arguments about Cesc and Nasri and buying a Centre Back.

Exhibit A: “Why doesn’t he just go and spend whatever it takes to get a Centre Back?”

Exhibit B:”Why are we potentially letting one of our best players (Nasri) go for free next year, Wenger is supposed to be watching the money?”

Don’t get it really don’t get it, in Exhibit A he is damned for watching the clubs money, in Exhibit B he is damned for not watching the clubs money. Same bloke said both things!

50. gunnern5 says:

Rsap;

Hold on a minute. You say, that , they say, if a CB is any good you don’t notice him?

I give you, Rio, Vidic, Adams, Keown, Bould,Terry………. to name but a few, who were, and are certainly noticed.

In point of fact I cannot even bring to mind any really great CB’s that go unnoticed, as they are generally the center of the activity.

51. True GN5, the only position I think best unnoticed is probably DM….I give you Silva

52. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I am no longer surprised by anything I hear, however ridiculous!

Transfer Tavern is reporting that Arsenal have at last got a CB blah blah, for only £6m, and have almost reached agreement with the player.

They then finish with — all that remains is for Arsenal to make a bid — what rubbish is that? Seriously?

53. gunnern5 says:

GIE;

So true, we only really noticed Gilberto when he was gone……… and then we miised him – really badly

54. RA

I stayed with the podcast for about 20minutes but seriously I now have a headache listening to so much crap. As London always asks…

“Have you got anything Positive to say”

They started trying to be positive about Gervinho and then complained about his hair using for some reason swearing whilst he did it, at that level of footballing analysis I switched off.

GN5,

You’ll see that I said ‘they do say’ – this was a quote from a pundit I heard when discussing the possibility of Scott Dann. If the defenders are doing a good job, they snuff out the danger before the opposition are in a shooting position, it is the last ditch tackles that get CB’s noticed for the positives – so I understand both arguments.

56. dandan says:

have just been told by my son that it is all over twitter that Cesc has gone for 35 million + 4 mil from Cesc. will wait with interest to see if it appears anywhere else. 🙂

57. HI all – I’ve taken my builder’s boots off and just caught up with the comments. How is everyone, seems like ages since I’ve found the time to blog 😉

It will be very sad to lose both Cesc and Nasri in one fell swoop, I hope AW can manage and like I said last night I think it’s pretty appalling for one of our ‘first names on the team sheet’ to be moving to a close rival but I don’t know what AW could have done to keep Nasri. His new contract surely should have been sorted last summer.

58. WiganGooner says:

@DanDan, if that’s the final figures then I am more than happy with that, thank you Cesc, you’ve played some awesome football, but your over-played, battered husk is no longer mine.

🙂

WG

59. Anyway, I’m going to be away next week and Wigan Gooner has agreed to my request to help out with the admin but I have to do a bit of nagging first.

Posts – if possible i would like to go away knowing that he and Rasp won’t have sleepless nights about posts turning up, so would like to pin down volunteers early. We’re going to need

Tuesday – a pre-match for the Udinese game
    Wednesday – match report
    Thursday – something
    Friday – something
    Saturday – a pre-match for the Liverpool game – Raddy might be back for this one
    Sunday – match report
    Monday – will be a Rocky post
    Tuesday – something

Volunteers step forward please 🙂

60. WiganGooner says:

I will write a post in case of emergency 🙂

Thanks for the invite Peaches, it’s my pleasure.

WG

Yep, looks like Cesc is gone – it shouldn’t come as a surprise but I’m still gutted.

It’s a done deal.Started in Feb announced tomorrow.The most open secret of the year.
    Peaches you asked me something the other day about sending me an e mail.I replied yes,but not a word.

63. London says:

I don’t see no fat lady.

Are we basing this story on what the BBC have said?

“Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas on the verge of Barcelona move”

Because I reckon that is based on what the Barcelona mouth piece (El Mundo Deportivo) published about an hour ago.

Cesc to move by Sunday…….

And wait for it……….the reason for this revelation is based of something that Hill-Wood said LAST WEEK.

Chinese whispers.

My money is still on him leaving and Nasri staying.

London, you’ll be eating your underwear soon if you carry on like this. He’s gone, believe it!

65. London – open a nice bottle of red and settle down for the evening 😉

kelsey – I promise I will when I get the chance.

66. Well the Twitter rumour started with Guillerme Ballague, but he did say it was done deal 3 weeks ago, oh and last summer.

Lets face it he’s going to get it right one week.

This is the same Balague who said Viera to Madrid was done deal in 2006 before he signed for Inter.

At the same time he confirmed:
    Alves to Liverpool
    Torres to United

See he is not always so spot on with his info but he talks with such an air of certainty he manages to get booked by all radio stations and tv shows to talk about it. Clever fella that Ballague

I knew either Cesc or Nasri were gone as soon as we announced the arrival of the Ox

68. Fantastic post CG. If nasri does go I won’t have any fond thoughts of him one bit. I was going to abuse him but I’ll wait just in case. In fact even if he stays and runs down his contract I’ll still dislike him. Does having OC and Myaichi mean we’ll play 442 sometimes? I don’t understand the tactics.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

I must admit i can’t help be a little excited by the arrival of Ox and the decision to allow Ryo to stay and the arrival of Gervinho.

Remember we weren’t just susceptible at the back it also appeared we had become predictable going forward.

Fresh faces in our line up or coming off the bench will set fresh problems for the oppositions. All three have pace they are all relatively tall.

Maybe AW is reverting to big strong and quick philosophy from a few years back.

70. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting GM on 4-4-2

We probably have more options in that formation.

71. London says:

It’s true he is clever………but he is also an Anglo Saxon expletive.

Hi GiE, I agree the offensive prospects are exciting – although if I were Theo or Chamakh, I may be worried about how much time I’ll spend on the bench this coming season.

73. London says:

I can’t see AOC or Mariachi playing in anything other than the CC and a bit of the FA cup.

74. London says:

Both Walcott and Chamakh make brilliant subs though. I mean really really good.

75. London says:

“Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas on verge of signing for Barcelona” (Telegraph)

Guess the date: this summer? Last summer? The summer before that?

I agree Walcott would be a great impact sub – but Chamakh? I’d rather put Diaby up front.

77. London says:

Rasp

Picture the situation in which the opposition have parked the bus and we cannot get past, we are playing our usual 4.3.3 but no joy. What do you do? Answer, bring Chamakh on and change to 4.4.2.

78. London says:

I will give you an indication of how desperate El Mundo Deportivo are, I mean apart from dragging up something that Hill-Wood was supposed to have said last week and by the way there is a picture of Hill-Wood photo-shopped to give the appearance of him sitting next to Rossel (the Barça president) in the stands of one game or another this is what people do in Spain to indicate that a deal is in the offing……….it is an embarrassing photo-shopped picture you muppets.
    But this is not the most embarrassing part, they have an interview on their front page with Arshavin and the head line says “I will never go to Real Madrid”…..No kidding Sherlock……….how ridiculous is that.

79. I think he’ll use Miyaich London. I don’t know anything about the other one.

80. London says:

GM

When, you mean in the league?

81. harry says:

Lol, GIE I am thinking of starting up an Appreciation page for Ballague on Facebook, do you want to be administrator?

Your right though, he throws his hooks out there and all the stations get snared, one day he’ll be right…..

Some Gooner was on talkshite tonight, “Its a shambles, what does wenger do, I am handing in my season ticket, blah blah” what a complete mug…….

I am actually quite positive about the situation now and I just want The spanish transfer spoofer to be right for once, lets clear the decks and as chamakh said go and get Gourcuff, pay 30million….or whatever, pick up mata as well and hey presto……

If even we just get a CB in I will be happy to go with what we have for now……..

Through thick and thin, ups and downs, come rain or shine, I will love my gooners……..

Believe in Wenger, for a time yet……!!

82. Yes London. I think he’ll use him against weaker teams (as a sub). He’s been doing really well in the Dutch league.

83. London says:

Yeah, fair enough GM I can see that.

As a sub, eh? Like on really wet days then.

And a brief bonsoir from him.
    Are there any linking type sources on where Nic B may end up?

86. Gooner In Exile says:

London the Arshavin quote comes from an interview he gave to the Standard I think?

It’s on the links on the right.

It is an interview where he confirms he wants to continue being an Arsenal player. Surprised they didn’t pick the other quote which says sonething like “I admire Barca”. AA23 provides straight and often hunorous answers to questions, he rubbished all reports of moving on so I guess that’s why the media don’t interview him much.

I still love that he said we would look like Jockeys in our away kit this year because of our lack of height.

What really pisses me off about the way this last part of the saga is reported as done deal.

If it’s a done deal why do we have to wait til the weekend for the announcement what’s the deal? It’s not like Arsenal have anything to gain, a quick look at the fan reaction will show the majority of misguided fools wishing for his departure.

We are certainly better equipped to go 4-4-2 with the new additions, and even more so if Cesc goes, but I see absolutely no evidence to suggest that Arsene will go that way other than total emergency shit fan hitting situations.

I shall go quietly…

89. Don’t forget your nanny goat 🙂

90. herbi77 says:

Anyone watch germany-brazil friendly? I wish we could have gotze in our team (to replace cesc and/or nasri), so young so talented.

Oh no, there are reports that Ramsey has limped off with a calf strain in the friendly against Australia.

What complete morons were responsible for organising friendly internationals 3 days before the Premier league campaign starts? I appreciate it is for all nations, but most european clubs are just starting their new season.

92. harry says:

And arshavin has limped off for russia as well……..Oh well thats AOC and Ryo starting then……..

93. London says:

Nasri played for France and came out unscathed so we have options.

Song, Wilshere, Nasri

Song, Wilshere, Rosicky

We will be alright.

94. harry says:

I was watching France, Marvin Martin looks talented player who could do a job for us…….

95. London says:

So it is Gerv, Rvp and Walcott up front.

96. London says:

How was you able to watch the France game Harry?

97. London says:

Gervinho is getting a lot of praise for his contribution in the Ivory Coast’s win against Isreal in Geneva.

No he wasn’t injured is the answer.

98. Harry says:

London it was on ESPN……..

Good to know we have one player not injured……….phew

99. oz gunner says:

stupidest idea ever playing internationals so close to the season opener. Money hungry Fifa thats all it is.

If nasri and cesc go i would love to see wegner pull a rabbit out of the hat and pip manure by signing wesley (ridiculous i know due to his extreme wages). Just something to say “nasri and cesc piss off we can replace you easily and you won’t be missed”

I don’t see where nasri will fit in at man city to be honest. They always line up defensively with the likes of barry, de jong, and yaya. Then its silva (better than nasri in my opinion and a great purchase), and 2 strikers

100. oz gunner says:

Saw the highlights of the brazil v germany game and as someone mentioned earlier i would love to see gotze in the lineup at arsenal. He is definently a star in the making, ozil who? oh and Schweinsteiger

Late in today – work busy.
    Great fun post CG. I love looking at the stats with a positive frame of mind – there’s as much to be positive about as there is to be downcast for the new season.

Dunno really, just woke up thinking this might work:
    Gerv RvP Theo
    . AA
    …..Schweinsteiger Song
    Gibbs Verm Cahill Sagna
    ………………Sz
    There is a damn good reason it won’t and that is Arsene won’t play AA in that role. As for Steiger, I really think we could do with a genuine leader. I know he doesn’t score many (he has loads of assist) but he is a very experienced International and occasional captain.

103. Gooner In Exile says:

Playing Szcz up front and three in goal is certainly unconventional

You know it makes sense GiE!
    Pissis me off. I had such a nice tidy formation woth AA neatly in the middle and then it looks all crapola.
    Anyway. Where are you on everything, Nas and Cesc off?

105. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning Micky,

Don’t get too disheartened I thought AA23 at sweeper was good idea

On Nasri and Cesc when I see them signing a contract or wearing a shirt standing next to their new manager I’ll accept it.

Question is if we believe that rumour are we also believing Cahill – Squillaci swap deal rumour?

106. evonne says:

Morning – Micky likes to be different 🙂 And who knows, Voytek is certainly mad enough to give it a go

So, Cesc is gone, I am beginning to paint blue stripes on his pictures…I am sad, so very sad….I knew it was coming, so why can’t I stop crying 😦

107. Gooner In Exile says:

After AW came out and said Nasri stays no matter what he would look weak if he then sells him.

GiE,
    Have not heard that rumour. Subotic and Steiger are my preferred options but I appear alone on both fronts. Cahill was my compromise.
    Evonne,
    Cheer up. If Cesc is a gonna, then find a bright side. Far better to have eleven whose first choice is to wear our colours. Second, brilliant though he is, how much better to have someone both to freshen things up and who can play 35+ games.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

Anyone else worried games aren’t selling out that quickly? Still tickets available for Swansea.

GiE,
    Have not heard that Nasri will stay bit either. I need to get out! Still not convinced he is the man to fill the Cesc role though.

GiE,
    Can I assume these are for Red Members only, and if so, how long is the waiting list?

112. Gooner In Exile says:

Tickets are currently available for Red and Silver Members.

There’s no waiting list for Red Members as far as I’m aware.

113. evonne says:

Micky – I’m a red member, you can always borrow the number

Help,
    Just been on Arsenal.com to join Red Member. Q: how many tickets from the exchange can you buy per member for a game?

Evonne,
    That is so kind, thank you.
    Trouble is, although I have always got a ticket for any game I want (I only make it to about six a season) pressure is really mounting for this season. I already want 2 for Pool and 4 for Swansea.

116. Gooner In Exile says:

1 seat per member Micky.

The Lite membership works out cheaper but you don’t get a membership pack….no biggy…. but you do get all the other perks.

GiE,
    Thanks. Is it legal for 10 yr olds to be members? Serious question.
    I am getting the Debit Card out as we speak.

118. evonne says:

Micky – ask Peaches for my email and I will send you my number

119. Gooner In Exile says:

At 10 they can be JGs, but only get reduced rate in FamEnc seating. But I’m guessing you’ll possibly be lending the card to entertain adults if that’s the case I don’t see why club would object.

GiE,
    In the spirit of Evonne, I will only lend them to AA’ers!

I wish I could stay and be sad with you all but the builder’s boots are calling and I have to complete a garden today.

Micky – sign up for a couple of Red Memberships but be aware that if your card hasn’t arrived you won’t be able to get in. I have a Red membership too so use mine and Evonnes for any purchases you want to make until your card comes. I’ll email you.

122. Gonna need a post for tomorrow folks – a black screen is a real possibility but anyone fancy putting together a celebration of Cesc

123. Just a quick hello to all, off for my Scandinavian sojourn for some R & R, sadly with the family, but it’s better than nothing.

When I’m back we’ll have played 3 games and hopefully won them all.

Farvel – se dere alle senere. Kom deg Gunners!

Ok, Micky and his mysterious sidekick are members. It only took 50 mins as opposed to 2 months to get an gravatar, so I am much cleverer than I used to be.
    Thanks for kind offers Evonne and Peaches, and I will still take up your offer when I need more than two tickets.

Chary,
    Pack the fat cheque book for the beers!
    Have a great time, and we know you love your family, so behave!

126. Cheers MDi89…….toodle pip all. 🙂

That’s a bit previous Peaches,
    The bloke has not gone yet, and if he does it means he would rather be playing for someone else, so I will immediately hate him.

128. Have a great hol chary 😉

Micky – did you hate Thierry and Paddy when they moved? Cashly, Anelka and Hleb I can understand but Cesc was/is always going to go to Barcelona whatever happened at Arsenal. Can’t stay for the fallout from that one ………………… 😉

129. evonne says:

chary – enjoy your hols xx

Hello everybody.
    I know I shouldn’t, but I quite like this…

131. evonne says:

chas!!!! oh….it is very good, but now I am sobbing uncontrollably….too much for one rainy morning

evonne,

Apologies if you’re being serious.
    I could never ever cry about football. It just isn’t that important.

133. WiganGooner says:

Morning all,

New post 🙂

WG
    P.S. check me out being all admin.. 🙂

Morning all,

WG I was just about to publish today’s post but I see you are in there. We normally time it for about 9:30.

Haha WG, you got there before me 😛

136. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp,

Sorry mate, I wasn’t sure whether I was needed to step in today so I just went for it 🙂

WG

No worries, I’m glad you did…

138. ponds…

Leave the dog alone « Arsenal Arsenal…