What does Gervinho bring to the team?

Above all I would say that we have finally found someone able to play the number nine role, this was demonstrated perfectly by his Ian Wrightesque finish against Cologne after wearing the glorious red and white shirt of Arsenal for just ten minutes. A sublime chip from Wilshere played inch perfect for The Gerv to run onto and slide powerfully past the on coming goal keeper.

It got better.

And just to show us that that was no fluke, ten minutes later he was in the right place at the right time: arriving at pace in Ian Wright territory, the six yard box, to stab home Theo’s slide rule pass.

Now that is what I call making an impression in the first ever forty five minutes for your new club.

Next up Boca Juniors: as soon as I saw the top three line-up of Arshavin, Rvp and Gervinho I thought, this is Wenger trying out what he hopes will be his best strike force.

The fluidity, the fluidity, it was all about the fluidity: Gervinho and Arshavin were swapping wings with more confidence than I have seen two Arsenal players do in years: Gervinho coming in from the right, no problem, Gervinho coming in from the left, still no problem, best demonstrated by the inch perfect pass played with his weaker left foot to the fast moving Van Persie who powered home for the first goal.

Happy, happy, happy.

On come NY Red Bulls, this time the fluidity went further than Arshavin and Gervinho switching wings as happened the day before. In this game we saw how The Gerv was capable of swapping so effectively with RvP that you could not even see the join. Think of the brilliant pass that Rosicky played for Gervinho to run onto creating a one on one with the keeper. This is an attacking star in the making: capable of being a number nine if needed or play on either wing. The Ivorian should have scored or played it square for Ramsey to slide home but hey, every player deserves a honey moon period and as you can tell from the tone of this post, The Gerv is in Hawaii with a garland of jasmine flowers around his neck.

The goals and the assists are the obvious stuff but the hidden gem was how he was able to bring out the best in RvP; he seemed to take the pressure off of the Dutchman. RvP didn’t have to force it; his play was more composed, more assured than I have ever seen it. The Boy Wonder’s headed goal against NYRB was class and so was the ball sent in by Rosicky who as Irish rightly pointed out was MOTM by some distance.

There has been so much talk about how RvP is not a natural number nine and that 4.3.3 doesn’t work for him, the most common solution put forward to remedy this has been to revert to 4.4.2, not one of us thought of the idea of finding someone that makes 4.3.3 work with RvP in it – brilliant in its simplicity.

Please excuse this bare faced adulation; it’s just that I am starting to get excited about the new season.

London

210 Responses to What does Gervinho bring to the team?

London,
    It is very hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with a word you say. Thanks.

I think its reasonable to ink The Gerv in as a definate starter which is fairly unbelievable considering his recent arrival.

3. Mik says:

anyone remembers how many (know it all) fans spoke about Gervinho being a totally underwhelming signing?

Mik,
    So so true
    I think they only ever imagine buying players they see on their playstations, on top of the mandatory minimum spend of £30m per player

Gervinho is a great signing,can play almost anywhere in our attack, a great asset a mini drogba. now let’s sort out the defence.

6. stuart says:

Arsene, If you don’t sign anyone else(lets hope that’s not the case) then at least sign the guy who wrote this post!
    thanks bro

Kelsey morning,
    Agreed. I believe we are now two players short of being able to challenge on all fronts.

Stuart,
    Not such a silly suggestion. Sticking London at DM and he would simply eat anyone who tried to get past 🙂

9. Gracium Nazombe says:

I like your analysis it flows as if am watching the game again and again

10. Dave says:

Answer: He brings the most ridiculous haircut I have ever seen. He is also too small for my liking. Not a player we needed. We have more pressing issues to resolve and Arsenal have failed to address them adequately in the timeframe needed. *Fail* Gazidis for letting Wenger pursue these whimsical little fellows at the cost of the changes that actually would make a difference. Gazidis out and a CEO who can manage Wenger in. Too late for 2011/12 however.

Gracium morning,
    I particularly like the Ian Wright analogies. The Gerv has that ability to be in the right place at the right time and also do the right thing at the right time. Not surprising he had the best assists total last season at Lille. I think Cesc maybe thinking “Ooo, here is someone really worth passing to”.

Dave,
    Is Messi too small as well?
    Just maybe we also buy the defender and DM we need, then how would you feel?

13. DM says:

Great post London. Gervinho certainly looks the real deal, I reckon him and Aguero will prove to be the signings of the summer – and considering Aguero cost.. what, 35-38m?.. not a bad bit of business that.

I gotta admit I am starting to worry about our defence. We really do need one additional CB if nothing else – the ability to play at DM would be good too but not essential as we can shift Koscielny to there if need be. Come on Arsene, I know there’s still time and all that but my nerves can’t take it anymore!

On a different note, as much as I already love this blog, if you wanna appreciate it a whole lot more just go reading some of the other, let’s say less-positive, ones *cough cough le-grove*. They do sometimes have a point, but man I can’t stand their negativity! Even if they’re proved right at the end of the season I’d still rather be posting my comments here with a bunch of nice guys, all hoping that The Future’s Bright. The Future’s Red and White. (trademark pending)

14. Barry Bethel says:

What a relief to read a positive opinion on Arsenal! I wish there are more like you. There are plenty of pessimistic fools out there who hang on every word of the negative media who hate Arsenal for having class. And Wenger for being intelligent and following his own mind. They read the Arsenal crib sheet before every report and come out with the same old crap.

Reasons to be cheerful: Wilshere, Van Persie, Ramsay, Gervinho, Nasri (yes), Vermalen, Frimpong and really so much more.

There are certain Arsenal fans who really need to examine their attitudes and beliefs about our club, we are quickly getting a reputation for constant moaning and bitching about our players and management not winning anything for the last 6 years and the press are having a field day with it, and the more it happens the more these moron fans believe the negativity and boo the players when they don’t win the emirates cup. This kind of thing is seriously damaging the club and the players and fans need to think about their reactions. We should be the 12th man and not a handicap to the players, Liverpool, Newcastle fans do this every week, we need to follow suit.

Whilst I am not happy about not winning anything I feel I can see the bigger picture and the club will still be a top club in 20 to 30 years time and this needs to be appreciated. I cannot say the same for many other clubs especially if sugar daddies get bored and withdraw.

So sick of people calling for Wenger’s head as we haven’t concluded our transfers at the begining of August, like Henry said in the program at the weekend be careful what you wish for people.

Look at the joy Gervinho plays with. Let’s celebrate it and see if the fans can transfer this on to some of the other players. Time for fans to live up to there side of the deal and celebrate their team and shout their support and believe in players.

Oh and you can disagree with Wenger, get frustrated etc but please maintain some perspective and get behind the team we all love and we might just get what we deserve. Trophies!!! 🙂

15. Dave says:

Micky, I would feel fine if we landed Jagielka and Cahill. But compared to them Gervinho is a luxury buy that we were not desperate for. Even with Gervinho in the team we will finish mid-table if we don’t sort out the defence. What worries me is that the current executives do not seem to be able to seal deals and the right purchases are slipping away. Heck maybe it’s even a case that the right players don’t want to join us. Messi is not ‘too small’ per se, nor is Gervinho. What I am saying is that buying yet another teeny weeny wriggly wiggly player will not make a blind bit of difference to our slide. It’s our circumstances that matter, not adding a good winger or striker for the sake of it.

16. Camberwell Gooner says:

Great piece London. Don’t wish to be a pedant but that Hawaiian garland round the neck thing is called a lei. (Don’t worry, the irony of ANY statement starting with, “I don’t wish to be a ….. but…” is not lost on me!)

Dave, congratulations on bringing the mood down in one fell swoop. The guy scores the only two goals we got against Cologne and he is “too small” and “not a player we needed.” That’s right, he was definitely surplus to requirements in that game. Bloody luxury player.

DM and Barry,
    Great stuff

18. Dave says:

Barry, some people are whining because they want instant gratification. Some because they can see a longer term risk to the entire heritage of the club. I do not call for Wenger’s head but I do call for Gazidis’ head, as he is clearly ineffecfive in managing Wenger. Wenger needs to be told the deliverables he has to attain, he needs to discuss with his CEO the means to attain those and then, provided the club facilitates those for him, that same CEO needs to address the success or failure in delivery. It would actually do no harm if the club set out in a charter for the supporters what those deliverables are. Then, once and for all, we can see if Wenger is taksed to win the title or just to finish in the top four. Anyone unhappy with that can then turn their guns in the correct direction, away from Wenger if the Board is only telling him to make fourth place. That is not good enough for The Arsenal and it’s those who have been coming along for decades who know that, better than the plastics.

Dave,
    I certainly agree with you about our prospects if we don’t strengthen defensively, but to disagree, I always think its good to buy if you end up with better than what you have. Agreed that the attack was never the priority, but there is time left to get in the reinforcements we need.
    On the bright side, The Gerv will ensure that the oppo are chasing an extra goal!

20. 26may1989 says:

Completely agree London, Commander Warf looks a tremendous addition, exactly what the doctor ordered for the front line.

But like Kelsey, I’m becoming bloody antsy about the defence. How have we got to August without signing a CB and possibly a DM? Very worrying.

26,
    Do you ever consider sleep as an option? You are unstoppable 🙂 You operate in all time zones.

22. Dave says:

Camberwell, the inadequate hierarchy of the club will delight in seeing people latch on to the final glimmers of fading hope if it allows them to keep papering over cracks which have turned into serious breaches threatening the entire foundations of the greatest institution in English football. Do not be fooled. Be concerned that the players we do need are not being landed. They are being missed, one by one. Something is very, very wrong at the moment and the transfer window only allows limited timeslots to make a difference. Gervinho will not make the difference that is needed to stop conceding stupid goals that cancel out anything he delivers.

Who the hell is “Commander Warf”?

24. Camberwell Gooner says:

Micky, are you sure the attack was never a priority (and btw I’m not saying the defence isn’t…)? imho it really badly needed a breath of fresh air. They really took their ineffectual, turgid, sideways passing to new depths in the last quarter of last season.

Watching them I sometimes thought, Barcelona-lite? You’re having a laugh. I could see none of that famous attacking verve that the team is capable of, it was all a bit S L O W.

25. Dave says:

Given how much the club refers to salaries influencing ins and outs I would very much like to have seen Rosicky (for example) offloaded before Gervinho was brought in. I would hate to see him stay and then anyone argue that the cash was not available for the salary that a Jagielka or Cahill was seeking. Rosicky in particular has a habit of looking ok in pre-season and then contributing nothing meaningful during the season. Indeed my heart sank when he was the first player to come out during the summer and stress his eagerness to stay at the club.

Camberwell,
    I spent fair portions of last season saying that the attack was in need of “thrust”, so I actually agree with you, however, the priority going into the window was always the defensive side. Gerv is icing on the cake but only if the defensive vulnerabilities are addressed.

This is building into a good early session on here, but I must do some work. Back later.

28. Barry Bethel says:

Dave, it’s fine to call for Gazidis’ head, but the point I am making is to that it is better to keep it on the blogs than in the stadium. A pessimistic atmosphere cannot help anyone.

I agree with you though, a lot of anger is pointed at Wenger and I am sure that the lack of signings over the last few year have been down to the board and not Wenger. But what is the point of supporting a club when all you can bring is a negativity? (I don’t mean you, or most of the commentators on this ray of sunshine blog). It’s a very basic question which most of the web literate Arsenal bloggers seem to have forgotten.

Yes we all know that Arsenal need to strengthen in defence. Do you really believe that Wenger does not? He will never publicly slag off his own players and we need to accept that this is a strength.

29. Camberwell Gooner says:

Dave, I can’t disagree with any of what you say. We DO need another CB and a DM definitely wouldn’t go amiss. I’m just as frustrated as you are about the lack of movement and that strong impression that not a lot has changed. All these pronouncements from Gazidis and Wenger about how “busy” we were going to be, and yet transfers still seem to proceed at a glacial piece – it’s seriously frustrating!

But do you really think we’re going down the pan? Is Rome falling down? I’m just not convinced it’s that bad.

30. Camberwell Gooner says:

“Glacial piece”?? I believe I meant “pace” =)

31. Red Arse says:

Well done, London, a Post that is almost a paeon of poetic love for the Gerv. What’s not to like? 🙂

32. Red Arse says:

26,

You need to front up. Micky almost got you with your Timelord ability to blog day or night around the clock.

I am left with the suspicion that “26” is leased out and that there are actually several of you, all lawyers in the firm of Frap, Snap and Diddly Doodle!

True? 🙂

33. Mik says:

there are too many people still blaming Wenger for the failed signings. But it is not him who leads the negotiations. Wenger is too educated to get out in the public and point fingers at someone else in his club. For all we know he might be burning inside because the board again let him down with the negotiations.

34. mr.mosh says:

GERV-PERSIE-COTT. THIS BOY IS GUNNER ROCK EM MAAD

35. Camberwell Gooner says:

Mosh, maybe they should be called “VanWalVinho”?

36. Red Arse says:

Dave,

I understand your concerns and they are perfectly reasonable and you are clearly not being negative for the sake of it.

My own view coincides with yours in many ways, in that AW and Gazidis did say at the end of last season that we would be busy in the (transfer) market, and early. Arsene also went on record to say we needed to strengthen the defence as we had let in too many goals from set pieces.

But where I disagree with you (well ‘disagree’ is too strong, I suppose, as neither of us have all the facts) is that there are some simple economic and commercial factors at play here.

Arsenal cannot simply go out, identify players and say “we’ll have the tall CB, that ugly DM and throw in your speedy left back while you are at it”, as if the transfer window was a proper market.

I have said this too many times before, but the ‘transfer market’ is misnamed. It is not a market at all. Clubs often do not want to sell, or do not need to sell, or will not sell to direct competitors. The only way to prise players away, in those circumstances, is to offer ridiculous ‘ransome sum’ bids, which, as with say Benzema, are of no interest to either the club or the player involved.

Even offering a disgustingly inflated bid for a player, of say £35m or £40m, the negotiations can rumble on for weeks — look how long the Citeh deal for Aguero took for example.

I could go on – but won’t – 🙂 but my point is that it takes two to tango, and it is not simply in Arsenal’s court as to who, when and for how much the transfer deals will be made.

By the by, it is often overlooked that Arsenal tried and failed to buy to big CB’s in Smalling and later Jones and although we (allegedly) matched Manyoo’s bid offer to their clubs, each of those players chose to go to Utd, leaving us with the same problem position.

Now that is a whole other thing!!

37. Camberwell Gooner says:

Red Arse, couldn’t have put it better. The sooner people realise that buying players is not as simple as a wave of a magic wand and the words “Newplayer reductum!” mumbled under the breath, the better.

P.S. No I’m not a Harry Potter geek, I had to check a list of spells to find that one!

Transfers are complicated affairs and how do the media know exactly what we bid for a player and then make out we lost ot because of a few quid. It just agitates many fans as they believe all these headlines written by a reporter or a source.
    I do have a concern in defence as personally for different reasons IMO we don’t have the quality to partner Vermaelen and we have not one but 4 keepers who are either no good, too nervous or too inexperienced and stats show that one Pole is not better than another.A commanding keeper has been on the agenda for a few seasons as i feel at the moment confidence could really dip with either of the Poles if they make a mistake.It shouldn’t be ignored as it is worth several points in a season.

We have a difficult qualifier in the CL with RVP and nasri suspended and who knows about cesc and quite a few difficult games this month.
    Apart from nasri and fabregas I would like to see the other issues to have been dealt with by now, not 11 days before the season starts.

39. Dave says:

Camberwell, we only have to look at Spurs to see that failure to make top four relegates you to another tier in terms of what you can fix the following summer. As we are close to falling out of the top four yes I do think there is a clear and present threat to the empire.

Red Arse, the problem you are explaining quite clearly is that when it is obvious a buyer has a desperate need the price goes up in the case of that buyer. The seed was sown here for Arsenal some time ago. That’s part of why I always worry ahead of a few others generally. Today’s problems are not so disastrous if you survive from them and adapt from what you learned.

sorry RA, whist i was typing you covered my initial point.

Dave,

as you mention Spurs i often ander how they can only have half the reported annual wage bill that we do, though petty cash, i.e. millions in brown envelopes are not accounted for 😉

42. Dave says:

Kelsey, I would not be surprised at all to see us unveil an experienced ‘keeper. There is some reason WS did not get the #1 shirt and I don’t believe that reason to be Almunia or Fabianski.

43. Dave says:

Kelsey, isn’t Twitchy’s appearance in the dock due to happen soon? At least that should put a smile on our faces.

44. John says:

I think the first choice three will be Gervinho, RVP and Walcott.

45. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, 🙂

We are singing from the same song sheet again!

Your point about the wages/salaries paid to players is a case in point. We are often told we ‘missed’ getting a player, or a player wants to leave (Cole, Nasri) because we refused to pay them the going rate.

Then AW gets ridiculed because we supposedly cannot off-load players like Denilson and Bendy, because their salaries are too high.

Those who choose to be negative don’t have to be logical as well, it seems.

Go figure!

46. Camberwell Gooner says:

That’s true Dave, if The Unthinkable happened it may well precipitate a bit of a downward spiral. Players would be even less inclined to sign for us if we were only in the Europa. However! I like my eggs sunny side up and think that even with one defensive addition we will be a different proposition next season.

47. Dave says:

Camberwell, then we agree we need that one signing at least.

Dave,

originally it was meant to be in the first week of July i believe for a pultry sum of £4000.00 but it was postponed for some reason.

Sorry London as usual i forgot to acknowledge your article.

49. Camberwell Gooner says:

Dave – emphatically!

John – that could well be the case. And if it is, where does it leave the Meerkat? Hopefully, stepping up his game to compete with Fivehead and playing like a demon (think his first half season with us). This excites me.

Dave,

I don’t worry anymore as i am in my sixth decade of supporting Arsenal,but a quick look round blogsworld is that the expectation is can we finish in a CL position, nothing more.

I have a little contact at the club as others know and there is something going on since the beginning of the year that hasn’t come out.Player power has something to do with it and if we start the season with a team that is not unified together it does not bode well.

51. Vinay says:

What he brings is a more direct approach which is what we need, as long as he doesnt burn out or get injured he could be a handful for sure.August will test him for sure.

Top post London, I believe I described the Gerv as quick, strong and direct before we signed him and so far he has lived up to that description. His acquisition has strengthened the attack, but as everyone is saying – we need to/must strengthen the defence if we are serious about challenging on several fronts next season.

Latest news.
    cesc is on the pitch playing in the open day training session but photo shoot cancelled (due to rain)

54. Thats some spy you’ve got kelsey 🙂 How are you?

Harry is at the Training day – his eldest son was scheduled to meet the players.

hi peaches I am fine.going into hospital for a little op soon.

56. Dave says:

Kelsey, I am assuming you mean something not connected with Las Vegas?

Strange my comment vanished anyway, if you mean Chamakh the answer is no.That happened before he signed for us and he has an injunction out,or did you mean something else.

58. Dave says:

I just remembered that nonsense getting press around January and nothing ever coming from it. I assumed you meant something else owing to the player power comment. Intriguing, though there are a few obvious roads to go down, although I would hate to even contemplate the players agreeing to run down their contracts if Arsenal didn’t buy. that’s the kind of dangerous thought you could plant coupled with Nasri, RvP and Walcott all getting close to the end of the current deals.

Dave,

it’s not fair to take this any further as most will think i have made it up which i haven’t,but it will all come out in the wash.
    What i will say is that kroenke via someone is putting pressure on Wenger for the first time since he joined the club.

60. Dave says:

Glad to hear it.

61. For anyone who’s interested you can watch footage of the training session on the Arsenal Player.

Cesc the only player not photographed in the new kit today.

62. I’ll let Harry tell us all the inside goss later.

Great post, London.
    Uplifting and exciting.

Commander Worf comment made me laugh.

Some bits from Members’ day on Arsenal Player.

What a surprise peaches 😉

My only gripe is that it is barca we could get at least 45/50 million from another club and if nasri walks there is another alleged 22 million down the swanee.not like Arsenal who put financial stability first.

That is more than we would earn with a half decent CL run.

65. I agree kelsey that we’re going to lose out by letting Cesc go to Barca both financially and by weakening the team, he’s definitely going with AW’s blessing – if he goes that is 🙂

66. They could have photographed him anyway, whether he’s going or not ………….

There is always carlos but he may go to bolton as part of the deal for cahill if it happens 🙂

68. Dave says:

The simple fact is that if we signed Jagielka and Cahill and they gelled we could have the best CB pairing in the country. That’s got to be worth the spend if they are up for the move. Then I don’t really care how many Gervinhos and Rosickys we keep. Championships are won at the back. Mourinho showed that when his approach moved the game away from the 1996-2004 Wenger style.

69. London says:

Vermaelen is better than Jagielka and Koscielny is better than Cahill. And before you say he isn’t ask yourself how many times you have been to the Reebok to actually see him play.

70. London says:

Mourinho showed what can be done with a budget of £150 million. It was that kind financial dopping that moved the game away from 1996-2004. Wake up.

71. Mark Magwaga says:

It brings pleasure to read an article writte In such a Manner. My makes me feel was Personaly there. Ever since Henry,Pires,Edu, Ljumberg,viera,the dream team 5 seasons Ago happened Its been a Struggle to get a player who has fluidity as Gev has. When On form Arshavin,Theo,Rvp gets hurt we lacked who to finish, now we need add just one more Player in The striing Force so that COMPETITION & CONSISTENCY IS ACHIEVED Even during God Forbid Injuries knocking in. If we also Have a strong Midfield as the Likes of Dream team Power House Viera, Parlour,Deschamp,wiltod and Edu we could be more dangerous for we would have attacking and defending midfielders both supplying and defending the ball so well, we neednt have lethal strikers weak midfield and overworked defence.Bring samba to the squad am sure the likes of Rosiscky would rove freely alongside Nasri Wilshire with confidence and have one player equally as good as is Fabrigas,song, we need another defender and this has been our undoing for the last 5 seasons containing the opposition we became so porous and no defence really was made of soulcampbel marshaled days we saw any one approach the goal post we counted a goal we need confidence it can be managed as was the time of Ashly Cole being a substitute add another vaemerlen and a quality keeper lets get the silverware cups! Wenger I knew you can prove me wrong by adding experience in defence and midfield see if it works for us two or three more quality as we the fans help scout and spot and you choose too from professional technical and gelling perspective we will be settled, buy skilled mass for defence as there is plenty place in your tag price its about time sir Prof wenger am glad my patience is finaly being rewarded those pouncing foxes with tenacity now need shit their mouths as for the players who wanna go it is well let them for unstable minds destabilise a good player such as the powerful strikers in Tevez&now the flamboyant wonder star in Berbatov thanx

72. 26may1989 says:

Red Buttocks

Re your 10:40am, which is tres 🙂 , I like the idea of franchising myself out, I’ll look into it. Until then, insomnia is my only means to global domination…..

Micky

I’m rubbish at embedding pics on AA, but here’s a link to the good Klingon, Lieutenant Commander Worf (apols for earlier misspelling): http://ds9.trekcore.com/castcrew/pages/worf.html.

73. 26may1989 says:

And now I’ve just seen Chas posted a Worf link at 1.11pm – too slow, 26, too slow. I should get more sleep…..

@London 1.33pm: I agree, but would you agree that Jagielka is better than Koscielny (at least right now, while Kos continues to develop)? I wasn’t 100% with the idea of Jagielka at first but have come round to it: he’s technically better than Samba, has PL nous unlike Mertesacker (who I also think is pretty error-prone) and is more adaptable than Cahill. And Jagielka is also more reliable, at the moment, than either Djourou or Koscielny. But whoever we get in, we need a quality recruit to come in, simple as that.

All of that said, I do think Gervinho is going to make a big difference. He will give much more mobility and incision to the attacking line.

74. 26may1989 says:

And by the way London, I take your point about none of us really knowing enough about candidates for a new CB, since we don’t see these guys play week in, week out. But if we stuck to that line, we wouldn’t get into any speculation at all, and would just trust the management come what may. Where would be the fun in that??!

75. Dave says:

London, Mourinho changed the dynamics of our league by winning titles on the back of clean sheets and a 4-1-4-1 formation. Seeing this is why Wenger switched to 4-5-1 after nearly a decade nailing his flag to the 4-4-2 mast. Drogba was a great signing, as was Essien (although he turned out too injury prone), but don’t be deceived that they were the signings that changed things. That was done at the back by bringing in Carvalho and moving Gallas to left-back. He never quite fixed right-back, but Ferreira ws not so bad as to stop Carvalho, Terry and Gallas proving impenetrable. Note that it is no coincidence that Chelsea’s own slide (minor by comparison) started after Cole displaced Gallas. It is defence that wins things as long as you have some sort of moderately competent top flight attack (note that United got by with Cole and Yorke, who wer hardly world class in their own right).

76. Dave says:

p.s. Defensive midfielders like Makelele and Keane also played a huge part. Need I also mention the Vieira years? But one problem at a time – Arsenal seem to have enough difficulty addressing the CB issue in itself.

77. Mohamed Zubairu says:

We need to understand that our defense is already stronger than last season. TV5 was out for last season. We now have kyle Batrley in the team who we hope will move Squillaci down the pecking order and give JD and Koscielny good competition. In the DM, we now have Frimpong. He drew very strong commendation from Requelme – a man who knows something about football. I have a feeling that he shall be the revelation of this season lilke Wilshire was for the last. We are still expecting some activities in the transfer market and more so if there are departures.
    What eve happens, we shall be challenging for trophies at the end of the season to the consternation of doubters.

78. 26may1989 says:

Mohamed, agreed re Vermaelen. But good as Bartley and Frimpong might become, we need a much stronger foundation at the back, and that means experience. Wenger recognised the need to strengthen in defence at the start of the summer, the disappointment and worry is that it still hasn’t happened, with the season about to begin.

Sad to see a footballer, Japanese international Naoki Matsuda, died after collapsing on the pitch. Only 34. Too early for anyone to die.

79. London says:

I would be very happy if we signed Jagielka but I don’t see him as an automatic first choice over Koscielny.

Nice positive post London. Gerv has certainly shown early promise – let’s hope it bears fruit.

I’m curious about your comment that “Vermaelen is better than Jagielka and Koscielny is better than Cahill”.

Not least because Verm and Kozzer have both been part of a defence that has looked very vulnerable for the last two seasons (admittedly they have not played together very much).

As you rightly say, we don’t watch the likes of Cahill and Jags week-in week-out the way we watch our boys. I probably only saw them about six or seven times each last year on the TV so it’s impossible to make as informed a judgement… but my feeling is that Cahill, in particular, would strengthen our defence, partly because of the extra height he offers. But also because he has always looked a good defender to me.

Am I right in surmising that your comment about Verm and Kozzer versus Jags and Cahill means that you don’t think that solving our defensive issues is simply a matter of personnel?

If that’s the case I probably agree with you.

(Probably, because the longer I follow football the harder it is to be certain about anything!).

81. London says:

So Dave, nothing to do with having a budget of 150 million?

82. London says:

Rocky

Last two seasons?

One of the most encouraging things I’ve heard this close season was the comment from (Arshavin, I think) that the squad were working on playing more of a pressing game this year (ie, more pressure on our opponents when they have the ball).

When we played that way last year (vs Chelsea and ManU at home) we had some of our best performances of the year.

84. London says:

That’s to mean Vermaelen and Kosceilny…..last two seasons?

I have to leave so I am unable to answer your point in detail.

Well, at the end of both of the last two seasons AW has said that many of our problems stemmed from our defensive vulnerability.

Verm played pretty much all of the season before last and Kozzer played most of last season, so they are both implicated in what AW deems to have been poor defensive performances.

Maybe their partnership together would solve the problem, but that remains to be seen.

86. 26may1989 says:

And when we’ve seen Barca in the last two seasons, done well, a pressing game is fantastic. Done badly, it’ll just look like Duracell bunnies chasing the ball around, wasting energy. But I agree with Rocky, it was good to read that Arshavin quote.

London
    My comment was “Verm and Kozzer have both been part of a defence that has looked very vulnerable for the last two seasons (admittedly they have not played together very much)”.

Is that wrong? How?

88. oz gunner says:

@ Dave

I don’t care if gerv has a pink afro, the boy can play, and as camberwell stated he gives that something extra. Which was definently needed as i feel we were getting a bit stale and predictable.

Fair call on the defence front. However i still think regardless of who we buy it comes down to defensive coaching. I think the zone set up for corners is a great step forward (lack of height still may be a problem) but keown hit the nail on the head. I would like to see jags simply because hes a bulldog, and thats what we need more of. Its why ive always thought a player like parker would fit in so well (because he would bleed for the cause, and passion is a wonderful thing). I always wanted to see lorik cana play for the mighty gunners ever since flamini left (yes he was a flop for sunderland but in the right team and gentle ‘pull your head in’ from wegner and he would of been a hit).

Great post London

Cheers for the positive feedback RA and GiE

89. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

sorry i have to disagree with you on that one (respectfully of course). Was verm not partnering up with big sol, while silvestre was playing LB when the big decline happened?! I do think the majority of fans think of verm as the messiah (generally happens when someone is away for so long. Yeck i thought rosicky was going to come back as pires 2.0). However he was very good, and kozza was very good when not with squidge so i feel with improved tactics these are the two we are looking for.

I wonder if the pressure heaped onto djourou at the end of last season has dented his confidence (coming back not being 100% ect), because he does seem a shadow of his former (middle of season) self.

Rocky,

There is nothing wrong with your comment.

I imagine that if London was to reply it would be very similar to your 2:37 except he might have said Kos didn’t play the season before last and Verm didn’t play last season.

I just had a quick look and could only see 2 competitive games Liverpool (A) and Blackburn (A) where they played together. Can it really be so few? This means that it is, most definitely, a budding partnership and no-one knows how successful it might be. (I suppose the same could be said of Jagielka and Cahill 🙂 )

91. Dave says:

Oz, I agree completely about the coaching point. I think few today believe we have adequate defensive coaching under Wenger. I also suspect the likes of Don Howe would support some of my earlier comments about silverware being won at the back.

As for Jagielka, well, put simply, in my view he is the best defender we faced last season. Domestically anyway. I always felt it was probably too good to be true when we were linked with him. Signings like Bergkamp and Campbell, the real feelgood certainty signings, just don’t come out way anymore.

92. Red Arse says:

Hi Oz, 🙂

The introduction of zonal marking, which you commented on, is perhaps AW’s answer to the defensive weakness he mentioned.
    I am still concerned about the lack of height in the defence, but in Bartley, Jenkinson and Traore that could be fixed — the season after next. Too soon for them this coming season.

Hi Rocky, 🙂 I suspect there maybe a key nuance in the comments made between you and London.
    You are talking about the appearances of Verm and Kosser (individually) over the last two seasons, London is thinking you are referring to them as a pair.

Hi to you too, 26, 🙂 how is the esteemed youngest partner in Dodson and Fogg getting on? 🙂

93. WiganGooner says:

@Oz, Dave

Re: Defensive coaching.

Not being party to the training ground hijinks, but seeing a bit of Arsenal in pre-season we appear to be marking differently and dealing with set-pieces differently.

Whilst this new system is bedding in, would that not constitute defensive coaching? Certainly a change in system must show that defensively the coaches and the players are trying to fix the issue?

With Zonal Marking you are attacking space not jumping against a player and with that in mind it is rarely about size or weight, but timing and spring. Therefore I suspect we will defend better this season.

WG

94. WiganGooner says:

@RA…

Like minds? 😛

95. oz gunner says:

@ Dave

I definently agree with you on playing against jags. Was it me or do teams defences kick it up a notch when playing us?! i mean even leeds and birmingham looked great when playing against us (falls under my theory that every goalkeeper plays their best game against us, look at green, el habsi, given (so many times), foster, even carson).

I was always impressed when playing toon and seeing steven taylor. He always looked impenitrable (he even quelled arshavin in his first season. firstly by flattening him twice just to let him know he was in for a tough day at the office), and even scored a rocket verm-like strike to salvage a draw. However injuries and a broken jaw from thug carrol have left him in no mans land. My point is that jags is so much similar in that he is as tough as nails and will give it his all every game just to help the cause.

I hope it becomes a reality by the end of the window

96. Red Arse says:

Hi WG, 🙂

That’s uncanny that we should both repond to Oz’s comment at the same time, and in the same way!

Now 26 will have to admit I’m not just a baseball supporting Yank!! 🙂

97. WiganGooner says:

RA … does he have to admit it 😛 ….. even a broken clock is right twice a day 😛

heheheheh 😀

98. oz gunner says:

@ RA

afternoon, agreed! very excited to see bartley definently one for the future. A friend of mine who supports the rangers always had rave reviews about him.

@ WG

i agree the zonal marking will definently help, no longer should we be letting in goals from corners where a player is a metre from the goal line. Yes it does seem like arsene has the team trying new things, for me its to early to tell, but as far as im concerned these issues needed addressing a long time ago. I feel that and injuries at key stages have cost us a few titles. I don’t know what goes on behind the seens but why did it take so long when everyone has been saying it for years.

Jagielka couldn’t do much about this….

I am not at all convinced that kozzer is the best we could do with.Admitedly first season looked shaky but progressed throughout the season but is always liable to give away silly free kicks or pens.not sure if he is clumsy or just adjusting or not quite there yet.I am not writing him off just yet but think we could do better.

Hello Oz
    I think Verm is excellent and I think Kozzer is shaping up to be a top, top defender (with the potential to play DM too). Djourou looked fantastic at times last year (killed Drogba when we beat Chelsea at home) but also looked terrible at times, so the jury’s out on him as far as I’m concerned.

Verm and Kozzer may form a brilliant defensive partnership but if we can get in another really top defender who also adds experience (Cahill and Jags both come into this category) I think we will be stronger in the league this year.

That said… Redders’ and Wiggy’s comments about zonal marking may actually be the most relevant in this whole debate. The ‘famous Arsenal back four’ used to employ zonal defence and, as Wiggy says, the fact that we are changing our system shows that there is some defensive coaching going on, contrary to what many of the nay-sayers would have us believe.

102. oz gunner says:

@ Chas

good call great goal by sagna. You just have to love the bloke don’t you?! hes commited, best hairdo going around and as reliable as the day is long.

@ Kelsey

Fair call, i think hes still learning his trade (having come into the game at such a late age), but his progression from three years ago til now has been immense. In saying that yes i think we could do better, but a bit better for 17million + is a big call

Chas, Redders
    Thankyou for explaining London’s question given that the man himself has departed for a while. I can see now he thought I was under the impression that Kozzer had played with us for two years, not one. My memory’s bad but it ain’t that bad 🙂

I tried to make my point clear by adding the line “(admittedly they have not played together very much)” but I understand the confusion.

As you have correctly pointed out, I was simply making the point that our defence has been wobbly for the last two years and both Verm and Kozzer have played their parts during that period.

104. oz gunner says:

so Rocky has declared it RA and WG are winners of the debate. I’d like to file an appeal on the grounds that two people who know there stuff vs one oz is unfair. REMATCH…in 5 years time when i’m a little wiser

105. Red Arse says:

Hi Chas, 🙂

Great links and Vids — thanks. You really are a whizz!

(Not that I know what I am talking about — obviously!! 🙂

106. Red Arse says:

Oz,

You would win your appeal. WG and myself were both responding to your original comment, so the clear winner is ………… Oz!! 🙂

oz 🙂
    No winners or losers here, just different opinions. As I said earlier, the older I get the less sure I am about anything!

108. Red Arse says:

WG,

Re: your 3:18. You cheeky dude. I will have to put you on my blacklist along with 26, if you are not careful! 🙂

Redders
    So if 26 is a junior partner in the legal firm of Widget, Fidget and Digit, what’s the name of your accountancy practice?

As far as I can see the big accountancy firms like to have initials in their names – like KPMG, Chantry Vellacott DFK and BDP Stoy Hayward.

How about Rouge Derriere AFC??

110. oz gunner says:

haha too kind RA.

@ Rocky

Hopefully one thing your sure about is arsenal winning the league this year! I’m confident!

Enjoy the rest of your day fellow gooners,and once again great topic starter London

Amen to that Oz

Does this mean you’re going to bed now?

But it’s still morning here in Canada?

112. oz gunner says:

Sure am Rocky. The work/uni double did a number on me today.

Haha i’m sure i’ll be up with the night owls in several hours time.

113. Oh no…looks like Jack might have been underplaying his injury:

According to KeiththeGooner:

Confirmed photo of Jack Wilshere with his leg in a special protective boot. 9 months out I reckon

moby.to/qrqlqi

RA,

“My problem when you put them up is that I have to switch from my 64 bit IE9 to the 34 bit because the 64 is not compatible or software supported.
    (Not that I know what I am talking about — obviously!! ”

Me neither! Surely 64 should be better than 34? 🙂

hahahahahahaah GIE…..you had me worried you barsteward.

116. goonermichael says:

Great post and one that I agree with totally.

117. goonermichael says:

That had me going a bit,

118. Red Arse says:

Thanks Chas,

I had not seen that info link before. They describe another way of doing what I currently do to solve the problem.

My laptop works with both Win 7-64 bit and Win 7-32 bit architecture.

The 64 bit is much more powerful and handles a lot of stuff very efficiently, so that is my default. But when it comes to Vids and certain other software which requires Adobe Flash to run them I have a problem because Adobe have not yet released a software release that supports the 64 bit.

So, all I have to do is come out of the 64 bit and run the IE9 32 bit instead and everything is AOK.
    Trouble is, instead of IE9, I sometimes use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and one is 32 bit and the other 64 bit, so it can become a pain, especially when I am trying to keep up to date with AA as well as my ‘proper’ work.

It’s not a big deal, and is worth it to see what you put up to look at!

I still don’t have a clue what I am talking about, so don’t try that at home, kids!! 🙂

Anyway, thanks again for your help. 🙂

Redders, Chas
    What on earth are you two on about?

RA,
    What are you on about with your IE9’s?
    I thought you were a Sony Operator like myself. A land where everything works.
    GiE,
    Where do you find these links. Keith The Gooner!!

I’m a computer Luddite.

So, Stan The Man is in town. Something is brewing. Lets face it, I doubt he wants his pic floating around for bad news.

123. Ok have now read through all the comments and the post itself. I did post a comment earlier when being dragged round shops and trying to look interested.

Somehow the comment didn’t get through.

First up nice post London, The Gerv is definitely the excitement needed going into the new season, I would have to agree with some earlier comments that in fact our attacking predictability from February caused our title challenge to unravel as much as the defensive errors. In my view draws against Sunderland and Blackburn at home were the start of the end of our challenge, defensive mistakes cost us after that but those draws were at times when we could have leapfrogged Man U with wins but the attack fell short.

The other big plus from Emirates Cup was TR7, I think he is one of the players in the squad who has the necessary tools to fill Cescs boots. And with last season being his first full season back after the long injury lay off perhaps with a full preseason under his belt he may just be the answer. Thought he was very good with his passing and seeing runs that I wasn’t spotting at home so thats always a good thing….add some goals and we may be on to something.

Regarding the defence I am probably along with London, I personally think that Kozzer and Verm are as good if not better than Cahill and Jagielka, and I don’t see the need to spend over £20m on either of them they are simply not good enough. That doesn’t mean I think we’re strong enough at the back its just I’m not sure i believe either of the potential signings or Samba are that much better. If we’re going to sign someone I’d prefer it to be a world class talent rather than a good PL talent.

With Koscielny I was critical of him at the start of the season, he was prone to diving in, even at Christmas he allowed Wigan to come in to the box before waggling a leg. But come February and the lad came of age and was our most consistent defender for the remaining weeks of the season.

Here’s a little stat about last season in the EPL:

Centre back pairings starting and playing at least 45 minutes
    Squidge and Djourou= P5 W5 D0 L0 AvgGC 0.4
    Kozzer and Squidge= P13 W4 D4 L5 AvgGC 1.46
    Djourou and Kozzer= P14 W7 D5 L2 AvgGC 1.07

I’ve excluded Vermaelen as it seems unfair to judge him on 4 games and he only played twice with the same partner the opening two games of the season as mentioned earlier.

Salut Rocky

125. Frimpong has tweeted that he has today been promoted to the First team so thats nice i suppose.

I hope you’ve collared Harry for a post about Members Day Peaches..

Very informative comment as usual GiE
    So Squid and JD is our best CB pairing!!

I think your points about Jags, Cahill and Samba are strong, although I still think one of them would add strength to our challenge. Whether the money is worth it is hard to tell in this weird market.

127. Oh and what i forgot to say which I had posted earlier, Barry Bethel loved your first comment at 10:05, there are plenty here who agree with you regarding positivity.

Whoa, JD and Squidg only played 5 times together. Stats can be very misleading. Squidge was also in the pairing that lost 5!!

Micky
    I was being flippant 🙂
    I don’t seriously think our best pairing is Squid and JD!

Like you say – interesting that Stan’s in town. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they announced a press conference for tomorrow…

In fact the only conclusion you can really draw from those stats is that the best pairing is…drum roll:
    JD and JD !!

131. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I must remember to trot out the Squidge/Djourou stat the next time a pointless argument arises regarding the best CB pairings.

I can almost hear the gnashing of teeth. 🙂 Nice one.

I’m with you on Samba/Cahill/Jag not being that great.
    It’s almost like some fans want to buy someone – anyone – whatever the cost – but just so long as we buy someone.

They do not fill me with any great buzz or excitement. I would prefer someone like Kjaer, for example, tall, skilfull, young — or anyone, as you say who is, or will become, world class.
    But I am realistic enough to know that will, most likely, not be possible, in which case I would be happy to stick with what we have got, and just improve the coaching drill!

Let’s face it, Adams, Bouldy and Keown were brilliant, but only one of them could be called world class and he was often called a “donkey” by nearly all non-Arsenal fans!

I know Rocky, I am not being terribly serious myself.
    Re Stan: he’s a busy chap, so I can’t see him being here for no reason or for very long. Glad to see that he’s ridden into town though. Kick some butt or whatever.

“If we’re going to sign someone I’d prefer it to be a world class talent….”

Anyone in particular, GIE?

134. Red Arse says:

As well as Ping Pong, Lansbury, Myaichi and Afobe have been included in the first team squad.

Not sure about Bartley tho’.

RA,
    I remember enough donkey noises coming from home support at one point. Agree with you over the aforementioned trio. Why are no clubs after Subotic?

I’ve never seen Kjaer or Subotic play. Are they what we need?

137. VCC says:

Late onto the debate here all. Have read all the comments about our defence and no one has mentioned the fact we will be better off without calamity Clichy. IMO he became a liability, lacked concentration, got caught asleep far too many times and whilst athletic going forward could not cross a “T” let alone a ball. If we were to get Cahill, that would give us a top line defence, with four more than adequate replacements/back ups. Sagna/Jenkinson….Vermaelen/Bartley…..Cahill/Koscielny…..Gibbs/Traore.
    I’m looking forward to seeing how Traore will perform after his loan to Juventus. A little inside info/birdie tells me Juventus wanted to buy him but he refused and wanted to prove himself at The Arsenal. Maybe that was a factor in Wenger letting Clichy go (?) Anyhow I conclude with the fact that I think we should get Cahill or Jagyelka(?) and that would be sufficient for Wenger to win at least one piece of silverware this coming season.

138. California Gooner says:

A bit of a side note, has anyone else seen the highlights of the Costa Rica- Australia U20 game? Joel Campbell scored two goals that Samuel Eto’o would be proud of. His nickname, “La Pantera” seems well suited — his balance is phenomenal. Anyhow, I am very excited about Afobe and Gervinho will be huge… but while another striker is not what we need, I’m still hoping we get this kid as well. He is definitely worth a punt.

Hello VCC and Hello CG
    Nice to see you both back here

VCC
    I have a lot of time for Clichy as a man and a professional but, yes, I agree he had become worryingly prone to making unfortunate slip-ups at the most inconvenient times. And his assist stats were terrible.

CG
    The Campbell thing seems to be back on the cards, if you believe some of what’s being reported (which is a stretch, I know). I haven’t seen him, but maybe he would be a good acquisition.

140. California Gooner says:

Rocky, check out 101greatgoals… it’s only highlights and it’s only youtube, but there is something incredibly graceful about how this guy moves…

141. London says:

If the interest in Campbell turns out to be false then the man’s agent deserves to win the agent of the year award, if there is such a thing, for elevating the profile of a complete unknown Costa Rican to a name talked about throughout Europe. Remarkable promotion.

142. Chas, as always I will leave that to the experts, i simply don’t watch enough football outside the PL to choose a Centre Back, I had not heard of Gervinho, Vermaelen etc etc until we signed them and they all worked out quite well.

But I guess what i’m saying if we are not buying a centre back as good as Vidic, Pique etc then why are we bothering? If Cahill and Jagielka are that good why is no one else bothering with them, Spurs could do with at least one new CB, so could Chelsea and possibly City.

143. So if we are getting Campbell would we guess that the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal is off?

144. harry671 says:

Interesting London, gervinho looked Sharp at members day. But not as Sharp as bendtner…..

harry,

would you kindly clear something up.Peaches said you attended today and Cesc played but wasn’t in the squad photo shoot, yet I have read that it was postponed due to rain,and did nasri play. Thanks

146. London says:

Hi Harry

For me Gervinho makes the system work that is not to say that he is better than Bendtner its just that Nicki cannot play on either wing and he is not that fast to play the kind of number nine I personally think that we have been crying out for.

But tell us more about members day, what’s the gossip..

I agree with London that The Gerv is going to make a real impact up front.

Unfortunately I think that Chamakh is not suited to the Premiership. I’d much rather keep Nik and let Chamakh go.

I watched him closely at the Emirates Cup. He calls for the ball urgently when he knows he can’t receive it, he moves into positions that keep him away from the danger area (anywhere he can score from) he acts like a brick wall and just gives the ball straight back to whoever passes it to him and then runs off at a tangent – in short he has no balls. Yes at the start of last season he was attacking the ball with his head, but I haven’t once seen him take a touch and have a decent shot. He plays with his back to goal yet never attempts to turn a defender. He does not offer anywhere near enough to be called a striker and we have enough players who can fulfill the other attacking roles.

148. I’m just texting Harry to see if he wants to chat about members day now or write a post for tomorrow ………….

149. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp there’s not too much to disagree with there.

Can only hope he rediscovers what he had at the start of last season.

150. ……….. Friday is Rant day Rasp 😆

151. London says:

I agree that Bendtner is better that Chamakh but Nikki knows now that first team football is even further away than last season for him at Arsenal whereas Chamakh I would imagine is just grateful for being given the distant hope of first team football.

152. Does anyone remember when Raddy said he’d be back?

I’m gearing up for ‘peaches full nagging mode’ – swishing my raven locks as I type 🙂 Gonna need a pre-match and a match report next weekend – yippeeeeeeeee 😀

Rasp
    Why do you think he’s lost his way?
    He had cojones at the start of last season then seemed to mislay them somewhere.

I don’t really buy the superinjunction business, but something happened to him because he has been a shadow of the man who started so promisingly and whom AW courted for so long.

I don’t know Rocky, but all I can say is that he strikes me as a marginal figure. He doesn’t seem to interact well with the other players. I think he may just be suffering from Reyes -itis.

Rasp
    Your assessment of his performance was damning but worryingly convincing. I just hope that when it comes to using live rounds he remembers the form he had last autumn.

I agree Rocky, but even last Autumn he was pretty one dimensional. To be a striker you should at least have a decent shot in your locker.

I agree with London, he will be firmly behind Gervinho in the pecking order. I’d rather see Theo playing centrally than Chamakh. I’m afraid I have lost patience with him.

Arsenal should be past the stage where we have to wait a few seasons in the hope that a player eventually comes good.

Can’t disagree Rasp.

158. Gooner In Exile says:

Speaking of waiting for players to come good interesting discussion on FiveLive the other night about Scouting and things. Think it’s still on iplayer. They interviewed Pulis, Allardyce and Martinez and a few scouts.

It was good programme. General consensus was mid table and newly promoted clubs need instantly performing players whereas bigger clubs can wait a bit longer.

I guess this holds considering the likes of Nani, Anderson at United.

I do agree though that we need a few more immediate impact players rather than prospects. We have plenty of prospects at the club already and it’s difficult enough for them to progress without adding more players to the mix like Campbell and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

159. SharkeySure says:

Aloha London !!

Quality.

🙂

160. SharkeySure says:

Chamakh’s loss of form was as dramatic as I have ever seen in a player.

For two months he was showing RVP exactly how to lead the line in a 4-3-3. He got a few goals for himself, even though he still looked a bit shot shy in that period.

Then around Christmas(?) he;d not scored for a while and Arsene made comments about him being tired, and we’ve seen absolutely nothing of the old Chamakh since then.

He doesn’t seem to be trying too hard to shake off his malaise either. When he does get a chance either in the cups or as a sub, he barely causes a ripple. He certainly doesn’t play like aman on a mission to discover his old form, or bag a goal or two.

161. This can’t be real can it?

Peter_Hill_Wood Peter Hill Wood
    by LeGrove
    @legrove Arsenal fans should be seen and not heard!

162. SharkeySure says:

Not really stopping, but have to quickly agree with Rasp. Nik B over Chamakh, 100%

Nik B always plays with desire. His catalogue of missed chances against Blackburn last season,when a less confident player (thats you Marouane !) would have gone into hiding after missing the first 2 or 3. Four days later he hits a hat trick in the CL.

Night all

163. Sorry, that was on twitter

164. 26may1989 says:

Don’t know if anyone saw this interview with Terry Brown, the manager of AFC Wimbledon, in The Guardian today:

His views on the craziness of football finances at the top levels are on the button, and the focus on the link between the fans who own the club and the players and the club is inspirational I particularly liked this bit: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/03/terry-burton-afc-wimbledon.

“[Brown] is adamant finances should be organised in only one way. ‘We run at a profit, I can’t see how you run a club any other way,’ he says. ‘Look at the top of the Premier League and the Championship: they’re the four richest clubs. Look at the top of every single league – look at Crawley [Town, the Conference champions]. The average football fan has changed, they’re success driven. They demand it. They don’t mind when a chairman says: “We’re going to go for it this year”. But actually they’re putting the club in major jeopardy.

‘We’re not going into debt. People could accuse Erik and our board of having no ambition. Well, there’s a difference between no ambition, common sense and debt. The whole country’s in debt. The whole world’s in debt. The ridiculous state of football is that the most successful teams in the world, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United, are bucket-loads in debt.

‘How can that be a model for everyone? The fact that the Spanish banks can’t foreclose because they daren’t. That’s hardly a business model, is it? That’s pathetic. And the fans don’t say let’s get out of the red and into the black. They go: “Let’s buy him”.’

165. Jamie says:

Members day, met Keown, Parlour and Walcott sat in director box.

Went to British beer festival at Earls Court, hammered. Organising work pub crawl tomorrow. Ouch.

In the words of a wise man on the site, come on you rip roaring Gunners

166. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches it’s bollox to put it politely here’s @PHWs info:

Likes: Money, Profit, Giving press conferences, living in 1946, Arsene Wenger, Money
    Dislikes: Arsenal fans, Trophies,
    Donations more than welcome!

26 nice article

167. Gooner In Exile says:

Some tweets saying Bartley has signed season long loan at Rangers? Nothing on Arsenal.com

Is dandan away at the moment?

169. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Can anyone give me a reason why Kyle Bartley is re-signed, with much “song & dance” coming from The Club, then he is immediately sent back out on loan, while they keep Sébastien Squillaci who we all know is not up to it “anymore”.

Now I am starting to get geared up for the start of the season like any Arsenal loving fan, but sometimes I just shake my head in amazement at some of the decision making from within Arsenal 😉

170. 26may1989 says:

Squillaci’s not good enough to get regular pitch time, we all know that.

Bartley’s not ready and needs to continue his development, while he and the club have his contractual future clarified with a new contract. Makes sense.

I just hope the loan is a sign that finally, later than it should have happened, we’re going to sign a bloody CB. If it isn’t, ……….

171. Gooner In Exile says:

Just makes me feel like Bartley has been given new deal to insure fair value when sold after advertising his wares in SPL.

Would really like to understand the clubs loan policy. Frimpong needs match time too (as well as sharpening for PL responsibility) as do various others why not loan them out too.

If we don’t sign a centre back we’re using Miquel in CC and FA Cup surely he’d benefit from a season loan somewhere. And we could have had Bartley available.

Gnarley
    It’s obvious!
    AW is sending him away because he doesn’t want him learning off Squillaci 🙂

173. oz gunner says:

I would of thought bartley would stay and miquel would go on loan. I’m along with 26 on this one as i hope it means a CB will be signed

174. oz gunner says:

I just don’t understand squidge. He used to be a reliable no-nonsense defender, but ever since he came to us hes declined at a rate of knots! I thought he’d come back this season a bit stronger and some more confidence but his pre-season suggests hes getting worse! is he one of those players who trains great but can’t deliver on the pitch?

Hello Oz
    It must be tomorrow for you. It’s still yesterday for me 🙂

Actually Oz, I am not as anti Squillaci as most fans. When he had a steady run in the team early in the season he did OK. Then was drafted in from time to time and was often let down by our general crap defending as a team.

I’m not saying he’s TA6 reborn, but I don’t think he deserves the vitriol that’s been poured on him.

177. oz gunner says:

haha that is. What is the time difference in canada? its 8 in the morning here.

Interesting comments relating to chamahk. The jury appears out on him and i agree he went from a great signing who started so well, to nothing in a matter of matches. Bendtner copped alot of flack for his miss against Barca in the second leg, but would Chamahk even get in that position to score? He was getting hit from pillar to post at the start of the season, maybe he doesn’t like the rough stuff and has gone into hiding.

178. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

I agree he doesn’t deserve it, no player does from their own fans (oh except denilson). He appears to suffer badly when teams play the long ball over the top, as he often looks when nervous. Which is a problem when we play such a high lone. Not to mention when he gets caught out of position his lack of speed exposes him. Gallas didn’t had alot of speed towards the latter stages of his career but it was his experience and postioning that saved him alot.

Oz
    As I write it’s 8.30pm in Toronto.

What are you studying?

181. oz gunner says:

Nearly completed my Bachelor of Science (major in Human Biology and Nutrition), doing extra study in forensics at the moment. Completed a diploma in sport and fitness before that.

Is George St. Pierre Canadas favourite son?

I’m a Pom Oz
    Only moved to Canada a year ago.
    I thought Canada’s favourite son was Justin Bieber 🙂

Gnarley
    Love the new pic.

184. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Cheers Rocky. Its the Andy Warhol style Charlie George pic 😎

185. gnarleygeorge9 says:

GiE

Frimpong, Ping Pong, Table tennis, whatever his name is 😉 I thought he looked ok against Boca until 2-0 up, then the entire 11 on the pitch looked disinterested.

186. Gooner In Exile says:

Agreed Gnarley I like Frimpong…it’s just he seems to have been fast tracked without loans. Not sure he needs one but there seems to be an inconsistency in our policy.

Oz, Rocky unfortunately it appears we fans are getting quite good at choosing scapegoats the last couple of seasons.

Oz makes a good point about NikB I have so often heard his touch criticised for that chance against Barca but people seem to forget two things….his age and the fact it was his first touch after coming on as sub. Not many players in the game would have made that stick.

187. 26may1989 says:

Hi Exile

An inconsistency? Is there, or even should there be, a policy on loaning out young players? Surely, each player should be assessed individually, and by looking at the what the squad needs and what it offers the youngster at that time.

I’m a defender of Bendtner but there isn’t much excuse for his fluffing that chance against Barca. Compare that with his epic off-the-bench to score instantly moment against Spurs.

Agree completely re scapegoats – yet another indictment of us, the fans.

188. WiganGooner says:

Morning all,

Emmanuel “The Hunter” Frimpong is a good player, I’ve seen him quite a bit at youth level and I like him…he’s a bit in the flamini mould, very mobile, tough tackling, tempo setting player.

He knows his limits and he loves to get stuck in and tackle the opposition and win the ball back. He is nowhere near the finished article, but he’s a tough little guy and I rate him very highly.

As someone who’s played his position and role, I see all the good movement he does, his starting position is very good. He reads the game well and snuffs out attacks with the minimum of fuss.

He will impress in the CC this season.

Lansbury I really rate, I love his passion and his work-rate. He’s definitely a Ray Parlour type and I think we’ve missed someone like him. I’d like to see him on the bench regularly and coming on to shore up games in a Box-to-box role.

I think they are good promotions and show “the future is bright, the future is red and white” (appropriate credit given to the creator of that :D)

WG

189. Gooner In Exile says:

26 that’s why I said “seems” I have no idea if there’s a policy.

Kelsey your link to that Daily Mail article is one angle, here’s the Independents angle far less melodramatic and not much in the way of “it is believed”

The Mail says Kroenkes arrival is due to rectifying the position whereas Indie says he came for the monthly Board meeting.

190. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Kelsey

“Barca continued to woo Fabregas with the midfielder’s international team-mate Andres Iniesta saying: ‘We have said it many times before. We would be thrilled with his arrival.
    ‘We are speaking about one of the best, but it all depends on the two clubs as well as the player’s wishes.’

Well, we have said it many times before too, pay the correct fee you tight arse, bully boy voyeurs. If we are talking about “one of the best” then surely they should splash the right cash.

If Arsenal lets Cesc go for less than the said fee, then it sends out the wrong message IMo

191. 26may1989 says:

Fair enough Exile, catch you later, off to a mind-numbing meeting….

Gie/gnarley,

Believe what you like this can’t go on indefinitely.Barca met the board when fiszman was alive in early february and it needs hitting on the head once and foreall,not exactly ideal preparation 9 days before the season starts.
    cesc could buy himself out, barca are near our valation then take away one year’s salary.
    it is not just befitting that the captain of a great club lkie Arsenal justs says nothing or do anything and it destabilses the club, some players and a proportion of the fans.
    Sometimes in businessit’s better to take a small loss and move on.i believe Kroenke is taking a firmer interest in this.

193. WiganGooner says:

@GiE, Gnarley, Kelsey

To be honest I’m glad Kroenke is weighing in on this one. If ever the support needed to see Kroenke getting involved this is the time.

Kroenke is a businessman and he won’t take any bullying from Barca, but is keen enough to know when to get rid of a player for the benefit of the team.

I look forward to a swift resolution to the Cesc situation, one way or another.

WG

194. Evonne says:

WG, Kelsey – don’t we all? Every time my phone rings I dread that someone wants to tell me Cesc is gone. Yeah, that’s right, I am less worried about my family and friends, than about Cesc leaving at present

195. WiganGooner says:

@Evonne

If it calms you at all, I believe Kroenke’s first major action and indeed interaction with the supporters will follow this Cesc fiasco.

Whether he ensures Cesc stays, or goes, I think Kroenke will talk to us and tell us what his ambitions are.

I just have a feeling about it.

WG

196. gnarleygeorge9 says:

evonne

Ring! Ring! Hi there, Cesc is gone.

197. Evonne says:

kelsey – are you around? it is urgent

Morning all,

Sorry for the late start … my computer’s completely fox’n’ducked,

Here’s Harry’s post without the pics 😦

Apologies Harry, the technology is just not working for me today – very frustrating 👿

199. Evonne says:

…or Dandan?? Peaches is in crisis and needs someone to put the New Post out, it is in the Drafts. Masterpiece from Harry

200. Red Arse says:

I am somewhat disappointed that Afobe has gone out on loan to Shef Wed.
    If our players get loaned out it should be to a higher echelon club who play football.
    Actually, over the years, the majority of loanees seem to get the boot on their return to Arsenal — more recently, Randall, JET, Coquelin (?), Watt(?). Jack is a bit of an exception.

Please continue all discussion on the new post …….

202. terrible nicknames…

[…]What does Gervinho bring to the team? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

203. al3ab says:

al3ab…

[…]What does Gervinho bring to the team? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

204. dojave says:

dojave…

[…]What does Gervinho bring to the team? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

205. info promo says:

info promo…

[…]What does Gervinho bring to the team? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…