The Winds of Change

At last we have played some football and wonder of wonders a new wind of optimism seems to be blowing through the blogs after the most excruciating month of self-flagellation I can remember in 60 odd years following the Arsenal. From learning to read the match reports of Desmond Hackett : he of the Brown Bowler hat: on the back page of my fathers Daily Express, to watching Nubile young ladies sensationalise each and every action on Sky Sports News.

Incidentally we talk of fiddled expenses today, dear old Desmond used to bill the paper for a new Bowler every month, and was so wrapped in his own PR, he would, whenever he was at the airport arrange for a tannoy message to be put out calling him to take a phone call at the information desk, thereby making sure he was seen by his public. Eat your heart out Mourinho you were not the first special one, though in passing I must admit I would rather have met Georgie Thompson than him: Sorry I digress

In all that time never have I known such bitter recriminations over a season past and opportunities lost, as have characterised this one. But now the players are back on the field I do detect a change on-line, sure the press persist with their silly transfer roundabout, but among those that matter, the fans. There seems to be an acceptance that losing Cesc and Samir would be a blow but not a fatal one. We have the wherewithal to get by and move onwards and upwards, because losing them would cost someone a lot of money.

Watching a very calm Arsène being interviewed in Asia, this observer gets the distinct feeling that should the worst happen he is prepared and has his plan B in place, that the money as usual will not be wasted, his targets are identified. Gazidas has since that interview also gone on record to declare that the board is happy with the planning and the firm stance on Cesc and Samir in that they wish both to stay and are prepared to take the loss on Samir if they do.

Should this prove to be nothing but an aggressive marketing ploy however, it matters not, as the result of failing to hold onto them can only mean a significant cash inflow and despite the implacable stance of some seasoned fans that the board will not make this money available to AW, my belief is to the contrary given our financial position is so much more favourable than in seasons past.

If Cesc. does go, it could  well be the making of Samir, enabling him to play in the middle of the park for a year as he does for France,  unless of course the Arsenal  do decide to let the obscenely stupid city money lure him away.  Unlikely as that maybe before January, which is when Samir with the ball firmly in his court,will probably take stock and make his decision as a free agent whether he stays or goes.

In the meantime AW’s carefully scouted and identified generation of  new players designed to marry with the gifted young players we already have will begin to arrive and strengthen the squad.

Frimpong, Theo, Ramsey, TV back from Injury, hopefully Rio and a whole galaxy of others, will be added too, with new players with league, maybe even PL experience joining in the next month. Creating the kind of optimistic buzz around the Emirates we have not felt for some time.

Other old ‘uns like me will remember Harold Macmillan in years gone by saying a wind of change is blowing through Africa and by golly did it. That same wind is now I think about to hit the Emirates. Brought on by new players and a strengthened squad, a potent mix of youth, ambition, experience and desire among the existing players to put right the wrongs of yesterday and shove the often underserved criticisms of the simplistic consumers (how I love that description) who masquerade in dark corners as fans and pour their vitriol out into the blogosphere, down their throats. That is not to say all was sweetness and light in the camp, of course it wasn’t, nor was it beyond the compass of real fans to say we got it wrong, but we are the Arsenal and as in times past we will come again.

I happen to believe that this is the year and the gentle breeze rippling through the blogs could well become a hurricane of joy for the real fans and untold bragging rights for those that feel the need to have them.

Written by dandan

120 Responses to The Winds of Change

1. TotalArsenal says:

DD, Great post. Wonderfully positive and I cannot wait for that smooth, sweet wind of change to hit the Emirates this season 😛

2. Moses Watasa says:

3. Moses Watasa says:

Hmmmmnnnn. Winds of change indeed. It’s only at Arsenal FC where the Manager and Board “sign” players using their mouths. Ricardo Alvarez, Radamel Falcao, Romelu Lukaku, Stewart Downing, Gary Cahill, Chris Samba and lately Shay Given. All these stars have been “signed” with words from Ivan Gazidis and/or Arsene Wenger. It happens all the time every summer since 2005. Meanwhile, the gunners’ better players, tired of this “rubish” are looking for trophies away from the Emirates. There can’t be enough adjectives to describe this bunch of “wise men” running Arsenal FC.

4. London says:

Dandan you are this site’s white knight and today you returned in some style. I quite simply love reading your posts.

5. evonne says:

Good morning Dandan,
    Your post has changed my mood today, I got up a grumpy old woman to reemerge as a clappy-happy old woman 🙂 I agree with you and I hope that we are both right. I have backed Arsenal to win the League this season and in view of your post I might increase the stake ….. Thank you Dandan, always pleasure to read your write-ups

6. Wonderman says:

Dandan, a post right up my street.

The wind started with a light breeze that informed Almunia, Randall and Bendtner, that their services were no longer required. Growing in strength ,Clichy was gently blown to Citeh in return for a few £Mil and Denilson back home to Brazil. Through the commencement of tangible preseason games it is true that bile and conjecture have been moderated not surprisingly by the wind turning to moderate,. It’s transformation to fresh, has bought fresh players in Gervinho, Miyiachi and Jenkinsion caressing the fans with a new feeling of expectation. I look forward to the next stage of Strong Breeze where our inherent brittleness is addressed as I am sure it will

7. spanishgooner says:

Dandan , a very sincere and heartfelt thank you . Common sense has priority here . What a pleasure to read . Roll on the season .

8. London says:

I’m guessing you enjoyed writing that Wonderman? Well, I enjoyed reading it.

9. Red Arse says:

Good Post, Dandan 🙂

I love your optimistic outlook and reading of the way things are working out.

In general, I like to think I have a similar disposition in that respect, but my views are somewhat more hard-edged.

For example, I do not detect a gentle breeze of optimism blowing thru’ the Arsenal blogs, but indeed the very opposite.

On this blog too there appears to be a dichotomy developing, with even stalwarts like the Rasper appearing to be very disappointed with the apparent lack of transfer activity and the contradictory comments of Gazidis and Wenger.

Even tho’ I do not think transfer activity (or its lack thereof) is particularly important, it is hard to gainsay the views expressed by our leader when he has been led to believe the club ‘would be very active in the market’.

Without wishing to split hairs, there are undoubtedly some weasel words or phrases bandied about by Gazidis, along the lines that AW has money to spend on world class players if they can improve the team. Frankly the caveat ‘if they can improve the team’ is farcical. Can anyone believe that a world class player could not or would not improve the team?

So in that respect who can not understand Rasp’s frustration, and that sentiment seems to be evident throughout the blog world?

We need you Double D, it helps to have your certainty and constancy in this unstable transfer period, and for that thank you! 🙂

10. Wonderman says:

London …spot on

11. goonermichael says:

Is the campbell transfer off? Very upbeat post by the way.

12. gunnern5 says:

This is copied directly from Arsenal.com

Ivan Gazidis says Arsenal have not yet finished their transfer activity this summer and have “substantial” funds to invest.

The Club’s Chief Executive Officer fully expects Arsène Wenger to add to the purchase of Carl Jenkinson and Gervinho. But, he commented, they would keep their targets under wraps.

“We still will be active in this window,” said Mr Gazidis. “We haven’t finished our business at all. We’re just not conducting it publicly; we’re working hard privately.

“I’m was out in Asia because I could be with Arsène for an extended period of time and think very, very carefully about strategy and targets.

“We understand where the weaknesses have been. Financially we’re in a strong position, we have resources to spend. We’re certainly not sitting there saying ‘let’s hold back on our resources’ for some reason, why would we?

“The resources are there. We’ve got a substantial amount of money that we can invest. The important thing for us, which can be frustrating, is not doing it only in response to a public clamour

13. Gooner In Exile says:

DanDan fantastic post.

Maybe as RA points out the breeze is not as strong as some of us would like.

For me I’m in the wait and see camp, I’m mostly enjoying being written off (again) by all the top pundits, and take solace in the fact that no one else has yet to secure more/better players than have left except maybe Sunderland.

Let’s not forget SAF hand has been forced by the retirement of VDS and Scholes to acquire new players. Liverpool are investing heavily in players who have never fulfilled their potential or lifted the results of the clubs they have been at.

I have heard complaints that Given was not signed, a 35 year old keeper with a dodgy shoulder and very few senior games in the last twelve months. Who has signed a 5 year contract at Villa. We simply would not have committed to that.

14. Red Arse says:

Here, here, GIE, 🙂

15. dandan says:

Morning all thank you for your kind coments

RA as usual you display your love of dissecting the words of others and as with all of us, it is coloured by the point from which you start. The term world class is one regularly used in football,indeed as you are aware with your attention to detail, more often than there are players deserving of it. By that definition a “world class player” would not necessarily improve the team if the person involved would not fit into the system we play or if his position was already filled by an existing world class player. For instance would we want someone purchased at great expense to take little jacks position.
    AS for Rasp, committed as he is, his stance appears to be one of conviction of what I would describe as a conspiracy among the top echelon, he might well be right, though I have to admit without being rude at being rather amused by the notion.

You yourself are often the first to challenge posters over their accuracy yet you question whether the club is active in the market, where is your proof they are not. Lack of purchases does not equate to lack of effort or even finance.There is still a month to go before any such opinion will be of any validity.

I accept that I am very pro Wenger but that does not mean my stance is not sometimes as hard as yours. But over the years in the words of the song have learned not to count the chips till the gambling done

Like many others I enjoy your input to our blog and your playing of the devils advocate amuses us as much as I am sure it does you.

Hi dandan,

Congratulations on a characteristically upbeat post with some very relevant points.

As far as subscribing to a conspiracy theory is concerned, if believing that many club statements are made for effect rather than education as to the true facts, then I’m guilty.

Gazidis talks a lot but actually says nothing concrete in his much touted statement and covers himself with the caveat that we don’t do our business in public – well the signing of Nasri, Chamakh, Koscielny and Gervinho were all done very much out in the open. Apart from the late panic buys, we haven’t made a covert signing since Sol Campbell the first time and that was for understandable reasons. There wasn’t a single statement of ‘fact’ by Gazidis that could be proved or disproved.

I say again and again – look at our recent history. Nothing has changed, this is an established pattern.

17. dandan says:

Hells bells, GIE i knew some were a bit down with the club, but isn’t jumping off a cliff a bit OTT cant we talk you out of it 🙂

RA on re reading my answer to your post, I see it comes over as a bit sever, it was not meant to be,but I am struggling greatly with the wordpress comment box, it is all over the place I think I will have to copy and paste from word in future 🙂

18. dandan says:

Rasp Thanks for that. Re disinformation. As G5 has highlighted it is written on the club website and will be available for judgement at end of next month.

Thanks again dandan. I know it is all in writing on arse.com. My point is that he doesn’t say anything that could be challenged if we don’t bring in any reinforcements – it’s PR waffle!

20. gunnern5 says:

Rasp;

Oh I see, you want us to buy into your point of view and believe that official statements from the Gazidis and Hill Wood are political and only for effect and contain no substance or truth.

I`m long in the tooth – but gullible I`m not.
    I prefer to read what is written on Arsenal.com and not the Red Tops.
    In the end result both may be off the mark but I believe the Arsenal site to be more realistic and quote club policy whereas the Red Tops print what ever wild story that can to create headlines and sell their media.

I maintain that Arsenal do not conduct their business in public and that their transfer targets only become known through the selling club or players agents – this is quite different than your inference that we do conduct our business in the open and our executive purposely mislead us……….

Imagine if that statement had not been delivered by the eloquent Mr Gazidis in his sharp suit but by someone with a lop-sided face, estuary accent and recurrent twitch – you wouldn’t believe a word of it 😆

GN5, I don’t get my information or form my opinions via the red tops either. I have never bought such a publication. My viewpoint is formed solely from analysis of the way our club does its business and my interpretation of its PR

23. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

As you will be aware, I will not shirk a vigorous debate and I am happy to explain or clarify my position when asked.

Firstly, what I will not permit is to be put in the position of defending something I did not say!

Your remark/question; “You yourself (RA) ? are often the first to challenge posters over their accuracy yet you question whether the club is active in the market, where is your proof they are not?”
    To which I would refer you to a comment I made this morning at 9:14, to Rasp;

— [Your cynicism is understandable in the face of our lack of spending over the last few years. But that is not really a fair comparison as AW has always made it clear that building and paying for the Stadium came first on the club’s priorities. — Chin up, all your dreams can still come true! –] and then;

Mu comment to you at 12:41 today;

— [Even tho’ I do not think transfer activity (or its lack thereof) is particularly important — to me.]

So your query as to where my proof is that we are not active in the transfer market is totally irrelevant.

To reprise my position; Personally, I do not think more transfer activity is particularly necessary, but if we did purchase new players it will be because AW deems it necessary. As I said to Rasp (again) there is still nearly 6 weeks to go in this window!

The comment about ‘world class players’ was in the context of agreeing with Rasp that Gazidis used ‘weasel words’ that seemed to leave him with a weak get out, if players were not bought.

In any case, your specious comment about Jack, seems to ignore many other positions in the team that could clearly be improved by the purchase of world class players. GK, CB, Mid-field and Forwards. Plenty of scope there.
    But, in any event, my comment was aimed at the disingenuous phrases used by Gazidis regarding transfers — not by any wish or desire of mine to buy any such player.

I was complimentary to you regarding your attitude and your Post and I see no reason to alter that view.

I am also happy to debate with you on any comment I have made, but, please, don’t invent arguments about things I have not said, or attribute to me views which are inaccurate or are simply not my position.

Last point GN5, I completely agree that our club should not conduct its business in the open, but when we are committed to buying a player it always seems to get out even if by the agents or from the selling club.

Ergo – we were trying to sign Joel Campbell but that may have fallen through, we have not entered into any negotiations to buy Cahill, we did consider Samba last January – these are my conclusions.

The statement that we are not seeking to replace Clichy is the main reason for my sceptical view of our transfer activity.

25. dandan says:

Gordon Bennett RA, we could go on all day like that, my typing skills are not in your class, so I will leave it there. apart from saying you missed my point re Jack, but never mind. Sorry if you feel aggrieved.

26. dandan says:

Rasp could it be that either in AW’s Opinion, Gibbs or Traore could do the job or he is staying under the radar with negotiations for someone else.

27. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

As I have indicated previously, I am not as downhearted vis a viz transfer activity as you, but I DO agree with you that the communications emanating from Arsenal do leave a lot to be desired.

For example: (Not verbatim, but the sense is there):

AW or Gazidis; Money is available and we will be active and early in the market.
    This has not really been backed up by evidence. This may be because of a reluctance of other clubs to sell or ridiculous high fees demanded.
    AW: (at the beginning of June). It is evident to me that the defence has not performed well at set pieces and we need to shore it up.
    In the event we sold Clichy and AW says he will not replace him (As you have been banging on about 🙂 ).

There are other examples, but the above has and does cause dissatisfaction in those fans who took the comments at face value!

28. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

This has nothing to do with typing skills, but your lengthy comment accusing me of something i did not say.

A simple apology would have sufficed.

dandan @ 2:52, I hope it’s the latter of your two options and it is a smokescreen for acquiring a more experienced LB

30. goonermichael says:

The Campbell transfer is definitely off.

RA, thanks, you have highlighted some of my concerns.

I didn’t want to contaminate dandan’s wonderfully positive post with my rather unwelcome views but my name was mentioned and I just wanted to clarify my standpoint.

That’s a shame gm, it was a gamble, but he looked to be an exciting prospect and a player who would have featured in the first 11 at some point.

33. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

The minute I heard the comments his father/agent was allegedly making I felt he was going to be more trouble than he was worth — AKA Anelka and his brother.

Positive/unwelcome; rose tinted/realistic, two sides of the same coin and therefore equally valid. 🙂

34. Red Arse says:

GM,

I have on more than one occasion that SAF and the manure crowd follow Arsenal around and like to step in at the last moment to snaffle our prospective signings; Ronaldo, Smalling, Jones etc.

The rumour is that the ‘other’ club vying for Campbell is —- guess who? —– Manure!

35. Red Arse says:

[The missing verb in the first sentence above @ 4:02, is “claimed”. Sorry about that].

Rasper, please convey to Evonne my apologies, but I am disappearing for a while. (she likes to know these things) 🙂
    I have better things to do than be sniped at when I am trying to help and support you when you are feeling a bit down!
    Not that you are not worth it! 🙂

Ta ra

36. Gooner In Exile says:

DanDan…..fear not it is not despondency with Arsenal that is forcing me to jump off cliffs…instead a man has asked his friends to join him as he tries to escape his impending marriage.

Fine positive read dandan and I happen to agree whole heartedly.

Rasp
    You make your points with your usual eloquence and brevity. I don’t know if you’re wrong but I suspect you are, and here’s my reasoning:
    Statements about transfers in previous years, particularly the first few after the stadium move, probably were mostly an exercise in PR aimed at both us (the fans ) so we would keep buying season tickets and at the wider footballing world so we would not look weak and/or skint.

However, I think what’s different about Gazidis’s comments this year is that the context has changed. Last season ended with a barrage of criticism of the players, the manager, the Board and the club as a whole. There were punch-ups between supporters, there was a demo outside the ground and widespread anger about the ticket price hike.

In that context I do not believe the club are stupid enough to raise expectations about transfers and not follow through. I feel very confident that reinforcements will come in and that at least one will be a ‘big name’.

As for the LB position, it may be possible that’s AW thinks Gibbs is ready. Based on what I saw of him last year he seemed a long way from ready but I guess I’ll trust Arsene if he chooses him. However, none of us knows how Traore has progressed after a year of playing in Serie A so he may be the answer. And AW has even hinted that Verm could play there – which may in turn be a hint that we’re going to sign a Cahill/Samba type who would play CB alongside Kozzer or JD. In short, with any of those options we may – and I stress may – be stronger than we were with Clichy, with his lack of assists or goals and his penchant for slip-ups at vital moments in defence.

Aha, a ‘Lemming Do’ as oppposed to a ‘Stag Do’ 😕

Wonderman
    Loved your “wind” comment – but I think you missed a trick. Surely the wind that blew Clichy up to Manchester must have been a Gael Force one…?

Thanks Rocky,

We are linked with Samba again today (but not by the most reputable source) . Traore has been playing as a left midfielder and I believe started his career off as such – so he may appeal to AW’s attacking instincts, which would be a shame because what we want first and foremost is someone who can defend.

I agree that if TV is destined to be LB, we must be buying a new CB.

41. evonne says:

RA @4:08 – ha ha ha, you got it, I am a nosey parker, as any woman should be 🙂 Take care of yourself xx

42. evonne says:

Adebayor to Tottenham? Lovely thought, we could continue hating him

A back line of, say, Verm-Kozzer-Samba-Sagna would have steel and height.

44. gunnern5 says:

While we are talking about wind………………

It was an old lady’s 90th birthday party, but since she was so old all she could really do was sit on a chair. halfway through the party, she started leaning to the left, so her neice put a pillow on her left side to keep her up. later on she started leaning to her right, so her nephew put a pillow on her right to keep her up. later still she started leaning forwards, so her granddaughter put a pillow on her lap to keep her up.
    soon after, her son came. “how’s it going mum?’ he asked.
    “ok,” said the old lady, “but they won’t let me fart.”

an old lady went to the doctor and said to him, “i keep doing all these really big farts but they are silent and don’t smell. in fact i’ve done three since i got here but you probaly didn’t even notice.”
    the doctor prescribed her some pills and told her to come back in a week when she had finished them.
    a week later the old lady came back and complained to the doctor that her farts, though still silent, smelled terrible.
    “good,” said the doctor. “now that we’ve got your sinuses cleared up, let’s work on your hearing.

Gn5 🙂

46. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rocky, you are cooking with gas again: ‘Gael Force’, quite brilliant 😛 Loved your former comment @5.01 as well: it sounds both hopeful and plausible, and fits well with DD’s post!

RA/DD, or should I say AA’s Socrates and Plato. Come on, you guys are always singing of the same hymm sheet. Reading back, it just seems to me a misunderstanding and nothing else. You should try to shake cyber hands, or just sleep a night over it. AA without Socrates and Plato’s wisdom would not be the same 🙂

47. Red Arse says:

TA,

Just watching the Murdoch grilling and the comedian giving Rupert M a plate of glosh in the face. Wow!

There is no problem between Dandan and myself — as you say just a misunderstanding. I respect Dandan and his viewpoint and have said so before. 🙂

I’m taking a break just to give everyone a rest from the yankee doodle dandy is all.

Rocky, your proposed back four will do just fine for me 🙂

49. dandan says:

Hi TA. I have no intention of leaving my friend, I was honestly shocked at RA reaction as my reply bore him no malice at all and was it seems misunderstood.

Hopefully he will return in good form later.

After today reaction perhaps I should be known as “Dante” as the inferno it seems was however unintentional of my making 🙂

50. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

I hope to be back and debating with you again. Misunderstandings happen all the time! 🙂

At least the Rasper seems to be back to his usual equilibrium. 🙂

Transfers WILL come Rasp!!

51. TotalArsenal says:

RA, fair enough 🙂 Hope to see you back soon mate. Take it easy.

DD, what about DanDante, sounds even better?! Your post is brilliant, I just think misunderstandings occur easily when we blog, as we cannot see each other faces, hear intonations, etc etc 🙄

RA, dandan,

I may at times become frustrated with the Arsenal hierarchy, but I try never to transmit that to my fellow bloggers. A constructive exchange of differing opinions is the best form of debate.

TA
    Socrates and Plato – quality.

That must make me and Rasp Bluebottle and Eccles

54. London says:

I am very alarmed that Guardiola has personally articulated that he would like Cesc to be part of the Barça squad next season. I think I secretly harboured hopes that Barça would see that he was unnecessary but my hopes of him staying are fading. One thing seems sure and that is that he will remain injured until the close of the transfer window.

55. London says:

You never saw that.

No offense Rasp 😀

London
    Saw what?

58. TotalArsenal says:

Rocky, I have never seen you or Rasp, but from the blogging I think you are more like Starsky & Hutch 😆

59. London says:

Nothing Rocky.

Looks like you are going to be right about Cesc leaving.

None taken Rocky, but I would have preferred to be Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin – or Starsky and Hutch if you’ve become transatlantic 😆

61. dandan says:

Rasp as far as I am concerned you are consistently you, committed to and desperate for the team to do well and feel the so called slings and arrows more acutely than some of us.

Hopefully this will be the year that they meet your aspirations and lift the moral of Arsenal fans worldwide

Haha TA – you got there before me 😛

Bags I’m the blond good looking one…..

Thanks dandan – you must remember Napoleon and Illya, or were you more of a John Steed fan?

I once had supper with the original Avengers glamour girl, Cathy Gale, later to star as Pussy Galore in a Bond Movie – Honor Blackman.

66. dandan says:

The man from Uncle was always re-enacted by the Cricket club members at 8.0clock on a Thursday night in the local pub in the winter or the cricket club bar whenever if it was open

OK I’m off now as no-one wants to reminisce with me – catch up later.

68. dandan says:

Did she teach you any holds Rasp

69. dandan says:

man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown ostrich behind him. The waitress asks them for their orders. The man says, “A hamburger, fries and a coke,” and turns to the ostrich, “What’s yours?”

“I’ll have the same,” says the ostrich.

A short time later the waitress returns with the order. “That will be $9.40 please.” The man reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact change for payment.

The next day, the man and the ostrich come again and the man says, “A hamburger, fries and a coke.”

The ostrich says, “I’ll have the same.”

Again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact change. This becomes routine until the two enter again. “The usual asks the waitress?”

“No, this is Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato and a salad,” says the man.

“Same,” says the ostrich.

Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, “That will be $32.62.” Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket and places it on the table.

The waitress cannot hold back her curiosity any longer. “Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change in your pocket every time?”

“Well,” says the man, “several years ago I was cleaning the attic and found an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie appeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I would just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of money would always be there.”

“That’s brilliant!” says the waitress. “Most people would ask for a million dollars or something, but you’ll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!”

“That’s right…Whether it’s a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there,” says the man.

The waitress asks, “What’s with the ostrich?”

The man sighs, pauses and answers, “My second wish was for a tall chick with a big ass and long legs who agrees with everything I say..”

70. TotalArsenal says:

The gRasp DanDan 🙂 Am jealous of you Rasp! Have you got any more claim to fames?

71. TotalArsenal says:

Meant claims to fame

72. TotalArsenal says:

DanDante 😛

73. goonermichael says:

Being taught holds by Honor Blackman. What a lovely thought.

74. 26may1989 says:

Evening everyone.

Typically fine post from DanteDante.

I love the upbeat tone, which reflects some of my more mellow feelings since Wenger made it clear we wouldn’t sell Nasri this summer.

But the summer remains one of the circles of footballing hell for me. I do trust decisions like promoting Gibbs and recruiting Jenkinson and Gervinho. But this summer is already a disappointment to me – after the players’ destruction of our season in March and April, Wenger absolutely had to do what he has never done before, go into the market hard and early, especially in our key weak areas (CB and forward). Neither is in place yet. It also would’ve been nice to have the Cesc position dealt with quite early but I accept that’s harder to control.

I remain hopeful in a sort of que sera sera way, but I’m also fearful that the failure to act early this summer will badly affect our 2011-12. To that extent, I think I’m with Rasp.

RA, how about them Blue Jays??!

75. harry says:

Just home and still work to do, but such a post deserves praise…

Dandan,

Truly sublime and articulated in a fashion not too dissimilar to how the mercurial bergkamp cushioned a pass through a thickett of juve defenders to freddie or how he mesmerised Newcastle with his deft flick and turn around a bemused greek statue, before slotting home….

Poistive thoughts already bring back positive memories…….

76. dandan says:

Thanks again guys for your kindness, its funny I worry that my ramblings from days of yor, will bore you busy guys with your crowded lives.

77. TotalArsenal says:

DanDante, I am not one of those at the moment. I am time rich and cash ok for now, so a happy man 🙂

Dandan
    My life is crazy busy right now – all the more reason why I like reading your posts.
    There are some insights that can only be reached through long perspective.

79. TotalArsenal says:

What’s your profesional background / what do you do RL?

I work as a TV producer in America TA. Before that I was a journo – hence my frustration with hacks who lower the standards of my former profession.
    What about you?

81. dandan says:

To change the subject guys have any of you watched the Murdoch hearings. Do you as I do find it frightening as to how little management know how or indeed knowledge of how company structures work those MP’s have. Point scoring, sabre rattling, pathetic self promotion all on view. But understanding of the corporate world or animal totally missing or has the business world changed that much since I retired

Haven’t seen it yet DD but I hear the custard pie was entertaining…

83. dandan says:

Murdoch’s young wife was a sight to behold she gave the silly bugger a right hander.

84. TotalArsenal says:

RL, WOW 😛 that explains the ease with which you put together your posts as well as your passion for fighting the redtops!

My background is in Human Resources and Change Management, predominantly in the transport business. I am currently enjoying a sabbatical after taking redundancy.

Optimism is a rare and precious commodity at the moment, DanDare. Thank you for sharing yours.

86. dandan says:

His attacker, not her husband 🙂

87. dandan says:

Chas it is a sad fact that I remember the original Eagle Comic from whence came Dan Dare

88. TotalArsenal says:

DD, have recorded Channel4 news, which I hope to watch a bit later. I did not expect much to come out of this today, I guess the main purpose is to humiliate Murdoch and co :rol:

89. dandan says:

Chas my wife was an HR manager and as such is great at laying down the law, you should see the written warnings I have got 🙂

There’s a great range of professions here on AA.
    Lawyers, accountants, at least one other journo, photographers, business managers and all sorts.
    When the balloon goes up we should all get together – we’d have a decent chance of forming a functioning society!

DD
    I hope she never rationalized you..,

I used to get Eagle every week. Then it got merged with Lion and became ‘Lion & Eagle’ – but Dan Dare carried on.

93. TotalArsenal says:

RL, good thought. However, if the balloon goes up we probably need bricklayers, carpenters, butchers, farmers, bakers, soldiers, oh yeah… and a hair stylist 😛

94. dandan says:

If that was their aim, they failed, self interest buggered them, although Murdoch looked old and came across as tired

I have no doubt they will try to recall them, but the judges enquiry will have more direction and empathy. these guys by and large were out of there depth

Like this Dandan? 🙂

96. dandan says:

Bugger Chas where did you get my portrait from LOL

Haha
    Good point TA
    Perhaps we all represent professions that can only flourish when a functioning society is actually up and running.
    Until then we’re digging latrines!

98. dandan says:

Can I run the local football team 🙂

99. dandan says:

Time for bed Gnite

Deal DD
    Are you retired?
    What did you do before?

101. TotalArsenal says:

DanDan, it sounds a bit to me like the quarterly company council meetings I had to attend together with the MD over the last ten years. The council reps would be often out of their depth, but still felt a need to put the boot in. The only way I got through them was by ignoring them, doodling and thinking about the last Arsenal game. 😆

102. TotalArsenal says:

Yep Rocky, it would be latrines for us, but we would still be talking eloquently about the Arse: they cannot take away that from us haha.

Got to go my friends.
    Catch you all tomorrow.

104. TotalArsenal says:

DD, RL, I am off to bed as well. Take care.

105. evonne says:

Dandan @ 10:16 – 🙂 🙂

Rocky @ 10:47 – we are your friends!!

TA @10:21 – the Polaks will be back then

Dandan – I think Murdoch and co knew perfectly well what was going on in their company, they are simply economical with the truth

I wish the transfer window was shut last night…that would mean Cesc and Samir, and NicB …. I’m dreaming

106. London says:

I promise you that no matter how long you have been watching football you have never seen anything like this, there is taking the piss and there is this.

107. dandan says:

London Better than Cesc’s backheel me thinks 🙂

108. Gooner In Exile says:

London I bet there are a few stars thinking “why didn’t I think of that”. Pure class.

As for the Murdoch enquiry I listened to most of yesterday. Some of the questions asked of Junior and Senior were ludicrous in the extreme. I guess they were trying to get a picture of blame/knowledge. That said they showed a real lack of understanding of chain of command within a big corporation. It felt like the MPs trying to show some power. The foam pie incident was out of order.

Brooks, or Wade as she was then, has a lot more relevance to the enquiry but she still seems to be protecting her own backside and the Committee had such a strange flow of questions that any real Lawyer/Investigator would laugh at.

All that being said, yesterday made for a very funny day on Twitter.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

Tevez deal is off Corinthians have pulled out, wonder if Coty will still make moves for Aguero.

Does seem they are now trying to comply with FFP, I bet the sponsorship deal with Etihad barely covered wages.

dandan,
    Really superb post.
    I simply cannot wait to board the train for the first game. I have ridiculously high expectations for the Ramsey/JW axis.
    I really hope that for the sake of football these Fair Play rules are enforced. I have so much to say, but for some reason I run out of space on this wordpress reply box. Right now I am typing blind. I blame my dongle.

111. dandan says:

Thanks Mickey very kind of you

No Mate I am having the same problem with word press and I use a desktop.So its not your dingle dangle

Morning Rasp,
    Saw your comment yesterday putting me in the “gone silent” camp. Actually, I am on two weeks holiday and have seriously restricted internet time. The bloody connection operates on a dongle in one small area of the garden far from a power socket and the machine has a battery life of two hours. Work takes one hour 50 mins leaving precious little AA time. Not what I had planned.
    Arsenalwise. Nothing could ever dampen my enthusiasm. Yes I was concerned for AW last season, but that is because I was genuinely concerned for his well being. I also believe that we fell short of what was possible in the last two seasons, but more than anything it is because I judge AW by his own unbelievably high standards. I always have and always will go into every new season believing anything is possible. I am an optimist. The realist Micky tends to remain in the world of work and there he should stay.
    I don’t think we played either our transfer or tactical cards right last season. Naturally all that could change this season. We certainly have the tools for the job. We were two players short in my view and also my opinion only this had nothing to do with net spend, more to do with a juggling of personnel.
    As discussed on here last night, a global financial balloon is about to go up, and at least a well managed Arsenal will be in place to survive and keep us all together.

113. 26may1989 says:

Re that backheel pen, I know it’s a pisstake but I still like the guy’s chutzpah, even if it was already 6-2 when he took it. I don’t see why the taker got booked for it, though I can sort of understand why his coach hauled the guy off.

From my own very low level performances, I remember a few occasions when much more skilful opponents started showboating to extreme lengths. My response was to take the first chance to put them on the ground. But I wouldn’t want to stop exhibitionist types showing what they can do. Anyway, what the bleedin he’ll was that keeper doing? Sap.

Re the Screws International hearing, what a bunch of wooly, wide eyed weeds most of those MPs were. In their failure to ask pointed questions focused on the issues about how the culture that led to hacking could have grown without not only the knowledge of Murdochs, Brooks et al, but their encouragement, the Murdochs and Brooks were able to run the show. At least the guy with the foam “pie” got his point across.

Completely agree with Micky re Financial Fair Play Regs – UEFA need to use the City/Etihad stadium rights deal to show they are not mugs. Else the whole thing will fall apart.

Morning Micky,

Apologies if I misinterpretted your feelings.

It seems I stand alone in being deeply troubled by our approach to the transfer market. Unlike those who profess similar feelings on other sites I am not dreaming of the day I can say ‘I told you so’,

115. johnny says:

hello all,

could someone tell me if they have heard anything about us signing frank ribery from munich. My friend just text me that we are in advanved talks. But nothing on news now. i trust my friend he is not a bull shitter. Also he is not an inside man or anything he sells cars ha ha. he is a geek when it comes to footie though. And how old is ribery theses days?? thanks

New post……..

Hi johnny, sorry no info here… please feel free to re-post your comment on today’s post

117. evonne says:

Guys, quick question about the phone hacking – did the Met ‘just’ provided the numbers or did they assist in physical breaking into phones?

118. TotalArsenal says:

Johnny, he is 28. A bit old for a Arsene signing, and a bit dear I reckon as well. But pigs might fly 😆

119. Led Lightbar says:

Led Lightbar…

[…]The Winds of Change « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

120. interim management southeast asia