Time for Heroes

Just a short post today as we seem to be no further along with our new signings and if you believe the anti-Arsenal/Arsenal in crisis talk in the media we’re about to lose the bulk of our experience too.

There will be a group of players that we are familiar with and we need to get behind them from the start of the season.

We need them to be heroes next season as we missed having any from February onwards last season.

It’s time for the fans to have a few players who stand up consistently week in week out. We need a name to sing. We need a player or two we can rely on not just on the pitch but off the pitch too. A player who shows unwavering commitment to the club andΒ his teammates.

A player who wants to play for Arsenal.

It also looks like we need a new skipper, who should it be?

So friends, who will be our heroes and if Cesc goes or stays who should be our Captain Marvel?

Inspired by Gooner in Exile

86 Responses to Time for Heroes

1. HI all

Sorry that took so long to organise.

Thanks TA for your contribution too, can we save it for during the week please.

2. Message for Spectrum – one of your comments went into spam yesterday because you had attached a link, it sometimes does that. I tried to email you to explain but your address wasn’t recognised.

3. SUGA3 says:

morning peaches,

of course we need to get behind the team as a whole, but do you seriously expect anyone to get behind the No.15 and Bendtner, unless their egos come crashing down to earth and they at least start working hard?

4. SUGA3 says:

of course, there will be heroes out there, like Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Ramsey, Jack and RvP…

I think even AA has it in him to be one, but the rest of them?

I have quite a bit of hope for Vela and I know plenty of people will disagree with that πŸ˜‰

5. London says:

Well done GIE

If Cesc goes, and for the first time ever I am starting to get worried about this actually happening, I don’t believe Wenger will buy another midfielder. My guess is that he will reason that we still have so many in the form of Nasri who I feel certain will stay, Diaby who Wenger must still believe in or it would make no sense for him to still be at the club. Ramsey who we have all said is Cesc’s heir apparent, Arshavin can play there as he does for Russia and as he used to do for Zenit when he was regarded as brilliant, that’s before he got shunted out to the left wing where he has pretty much lost the will to play and, of course, last but not least there is Wilshere who is so precious and important to the club he has to play. Others might argue that Rosicky and Denilson could be on this list which has merit but it is hard to see either of them making a big enough step up to give them regular first team football.
    I must be the gloomiest blogger when it comes to expecting new signings, I don’t expect to see the defence reinforced, I don’t expect Cesc to be replaced, goal keeper Szczesny will still be in goal when they are scattering my ashes on the pitch……………but, on the bright side, I still maintain that we will sign Gervinho because I expect Bendtner to be transfered and that will leave us short in attack meaning a replacement must be found.

6. TotalArsenal says:

Hi GiE,

I hope we’ll get heroes throughout our spine:
    1. Szczesny: cocky, extravert, focussed and energetic – seems to get over mistakes quickly and has bags of talent
    2. TV – energetic, born leader, leads by example
    3. Song – made great progress last season, and will hopefully become the complete package next season, especially in 4-4-2. He’s got a great motor and great focus
    4. Jack: what a prospect. He has got to play in the middle of the pitch, masterminding attacks and help out defence as he never tires to do
    5. RvP: the last four months of the season have shown us again what a gret Arsenal player he is.
    6. Chamakh, Bendtner: if we start playing more in a 4-4-2, especially at home, either B or C, should get a proper chance to become a truly loved Arsenal player

Captain: has to be RvP, with TV as back up.

Hi London, it’s unusual for you to be more pessimistic than me. I agree that it is unlikely that AW will spend the money from Cesc on another central midfielder – but only if Nasri stays. Most of the midfielders we have been looking at play wide left too so there may be some truth in the AA rumour. I do believe he will buy a CB with the ‘Cesc fund’ and that he has some cunning rearrangement of the back 4 in mind. I’d be more than happy with Sz as No.1 and Fab 2 as back up, I also think the Gervinho deal is all but done, but it is entirely possible that Bendtner may not like the clubs that are coming in for him and will stay.

As to heroes, I agree with TA’s list but don’t think that Song has sufficient personality/arrogance to be hero material – but he’s a great player.

I’m 100% with him on captains, RvP (official) and TV at the back (unofficial)

8. Sid says:

Just got my season ticket after 10 years on the waiting list. Well happy! Shame I’m moving abroad in September…. All this negative media coverage is depressing. Is it really as bad as they say at the Arsenal? Hopefully the view from abroad will show more perspective.

9. Loh says:

Seems like it’s increasing likely tat we’ll be losing a few key players this year (nasri, fabregas n clichy). I have been waiting for some deadwood to go (almunia, squillaci, bendtner, rosicky n the worst of them all, denilson) but unfortunately there’s seems to be either no taker or for some reason wenger seems to still have some use for them.

Frankly I think if the 3 key players do go, IMHO it’s really not the end of the world. In fact it might be a perfect opportunity for us to do the changes we need. Nasri had half a good season n failed to deliver when it matter. If it’s true a bidding war will push his value to Β£20 mil he can probably go esp since he is in his final year provided wenger reinvest the fund on the squad. Fabregas can go esp if his heart is already somewhere else. We don’t need a captain who is not 100% committed n focused on the club. Clichy can go provided we sign a quality replacement (baines or enrique) and NOT rely on gibbs who I think is just way to far from being ready to be a 1st choice LB for us.

If Fabregas does go, I see us returning to a 4-4-2. Wenger should go for benzema as the partner for RVP with charmarkh n gervinho as backup strikers. I seriously feel there is a good chance we can get benzema based on his current situation at RM. If we get gervinho n Alvarez in we will have a pretty strong squad. Alvarez may be not tested but will be a good squad player at least. Get a DM in like matuidi and 1 or 2 CB in like Cahill n Samba and we are good to go!

And if we do get another exciting winger that we are linked to (and by that I don’t mean downing) we should have a pretty solid team that is comparable to the invincible team.

Wenger so however need to move quick as this is a major change to the squad n players need time to gel.

All is not lost. If we gets our signing right, we could still be a strong team. I do hope wenger gets this summer right though else it will be a long hard season ahead n I’ll probably be one of those foreign fans flying into London to join all the fellow gonners shouting for his head esp if players are sold for big bucks n money is not reinvested into the team!! This is definitely wenger’s last chance to prove he still has in him the ability to lead this team to glory.

Hi Loh,

Your comment is longer than the post and I have to tell you, we would have been more than happy to publish it as a headline had you submitted it.

The points you make about a ‘complete shake-up’ are relevant and if we do lose the key players you list, we will find out once and for all exactly how conservative/stubborn AW is by the measures he takes to counteract the loss.

11. FWL says:

If Fabregas does go and Nasri stays, yes I don’t think we need a new midfielder to replace him. Instead, we should get a quality striker with the $$$ we got from him and revert back to a 4-4-2. We moved to a 4-5-1 for Fabregas as he is not suited for a 4-4-2 so if he goes, a 4-4-2 will be my choice of formation for the team.

Get a strong striker like Benzema, a DM to cover for Song and 2 good CB + a LB if clichy goes and we are good 2 go!

GK – Szcnesny / Fabianski
    LB – New LB (Baines or Enrique) / Gibbs as backup / Troure
    CB – TV / New CB (Cahill or Samba) / Koschieny n Djourou backup
    RB – Sagna / Eboue / Jenkinson
    DM – Song / New DM (Matuidi)
    RW – Walcott / Gervinho
    LW – Arshavin / Nasri / Alvarez (if he comes)
    AM – Wilshere / Alvarez / Ramsey / Nasri / Arshavin
    FWD – RVP / Benzema / Charmarkh n Gervinho as backup

Hi FWL, I agree with your sentiment regarding a top striker (Benzema?) but if, as looks likely, we are getting Gervinho, and with Vela staying, I cannot see AW buying another striker.

13. Loh says:

Thanks Rasp!!

I have been trying to get that out of my system for awhile. Just not sure how to submit it as a headline.

It is a complete shake-up which needs to be done early so the new players can develop some sort of connection with the team and each other.

That’s why I think a quick resolution is required and I am frankly (for the 1st time), getting very frustrated and disappointed with Wenger. Too long have we hope that we can turn things around only to be left frustrated by the team and Wenger’s stubborness to change.

Back in May, we hear Wenger’s seemingly keen to address this but 1 month plus has gone with nothing happening and now we hear of all this exodus of players without anyone coming in!

As i said, I m living in New Zealand currently but if Wenger doesn’t get things right and if I hear that there will be a gathering of fans outside the emirates shouting for him to step down, i’ll be keen to get on a plane n come make my thoughts heard as well!

14. harry says:

Time for heroes, time for players to stand up and be counted, max effort, clenched fists and drive…..

We as fans need to get behind them, i agree suga3 that some palyers make it hard to get behind them……

There is an element of they must earn respect and support, but I also feel that if we all got behind them all from the start of the season and gave unconditional support and helped to inspire them, just maybe, perhaps the proverbial penny would drop with some of the less favourites and the team would click.

Its hard who to judge who’ll will be heroes and captains until we see what moves in this TW wenger makes……

TA I can see why you have gone the way you have for Captain, but personally I would go the other way, TV as captain and Vice to RVP.

Never have and never will understand forwards as captains, it doesnt work for me and I want RVP to concentrate on his job.

TV will lead with a desire that will inspire the others, the other I would consider, if he stays, is Sagna.

The ones I look to next season are Wilshere and Walcott, big big seasons for both in many ways. Wilshere 2nd season is always harder and walcott is not a kid anymore, he has to make an impact nearly every game not 1 in 4, but we must use him in the right position and play the ball into space and not his feet…..

I want more from Arshavin and Song who both dropped their levels…….I think song regressed last season compared to the one before. He wasnt bad but I expected more…..

Chamakh needs to believe in himself and drive at the goal and even have a shot occasionally……

The big plus will be having Ramsey from the start, against United he proved he could still do the business, he has an edge about him that will rub off on others….

Of the possible newbies, I expect alot from gervinho, I want samba but will settle for Cahill, baines at LB really would improve us, but who knows, in 6 weeks we will…………

Massive point in our history this summer, 125 years on from the Munition workers coming together to form our great club as Dial Square, this summer Wenger needs to reshape and develop us, rise from the ashes, reborn……..Forward……

15. Loh says:

Rasp, Vela staying…. another classic example of keeping heaps of deadwood! If he can’t even cement down a spot in the starting line-up of WBA, what chance does he has playing for a top team in the league.

Unfortunately, if Wenger has any thoughts of Vela featuring predominantly in the 1st team squad next season, that probably says it all in terms of how competitive we are hoping to be.

Vela can stay but I doubt he can be used as a striker. At best he is probably a squad player and a backup to Walcott n Gervinho whereby he may be useful when Gervinho is away for the ACN.

I am just shock that players like Almunia, Denilson and Bendtner are still here and Rosicky has come out saying Wenger still see him as an important player. They say he is kept coz he is good mate with Fabregas, but with Fabregas potentially going, can’t see why he should still be kept! Frankly, these players should be sold for any price we can get esp. Denilson and Almunia as I don’t really see any use for them anymore!

Loh,

You write very well and your concerns and aspirations are shared by many.

We are a very open site and to submit an article you simply go to the ‘Be our Guest’ tab at the top of the page and click on the link to email us your offering.

We may suggest some alterations or the addition of pictures and then come back to you before we publish it to make sure you are happy with the finished article.

There is no money involved – we do it for the love!

Loh,

Re your comment at 1:39, I addressed the same subject in an article on here a few days ago

18. TotalArsenal says:

Harry, are you still in your mankini? πŸ™„

I can also see your point re TV being captain. For me, the best position for a captain is in the centre of midfield, followed by defence and then attack. TV has an advantage on RvP in that respect. But, RvP is the bigger star, full of Arsenal passion, the young midfielders look up to him, great interpersonal skills (good balance between giving a bollocking and supporting players) and it would do him good to have the added responsibility. I somehow feel this would also make him less wild and injury-prone. Finally, in a 4-4-2 the front striker would need a lot of encouragement and support, whether this is Bendtner, Chamakh (my preference – far better first touch), or a newly bought striker (cannot see this happening – Gervinho is likely to become an attacking winger ‘Overmars/Pires’ style, not a striker).

Hello all.

I will make it brief.

Clichy and Fabregas out in the next two weeks.Gordon and Gervinho to come in.Flappy to go out on loan .nasri to stay, more to follow,

20. Thomad says:

1.We need a new manager with new ideas.Wenger has gone stale with his signing of young players and players on the cheap.The project has failed

2.We need to break the bank to buy QUALITY.Cesc and Nasri need to be replaced by quality and experience.Not 17 year olds who may be good in 5 years time

3.Clear out the deadwood there are 9 players at the club who are noy good enough to wear the shirt Almunia Fabianski Eboue Squillaci Denilson Diaby Rosicky Bendtner and Vela.They should never play for us again

4.Bring in an experienced keeper to help Szczesny who will be grat but not yet.Given is available get him.We need two commanding CB’s a DM who does just that defends.And a 20 goal a season striker

Hi kelsey,

Is Gordon to play in place of Cesc or Clichy πŸ˜†

We looked at Craig Gordon a couple of years ago before he went to Sunderland

22. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Loh, nice to see you on AA πŸ™‚

Re the likes of Denilson, Almunia, Rosicky etc not being sold, I am sure you realise the power is with the players as long as they have a contract. We cannot have it both ways, as without Cesc and Nasri being on contracts we would be really in trouble now. The dead wood (I hate this term, it is so disrespecful but understand why you use it) players also have ambitions and will not just sign up anywhere, even if they are promised to keep their current salary. But the transfer window has still almost 60 days to go, and the less sexy transfers usually happen at the last day of it. Best is to relax and do some breathing exercises in the meantime πŸ˜‰

AH Rasp.

Pure guess work by me, haven’t got a clue what is going on πŸ˜‰

24. Thomad says:

I am reading some of the comments with my mouth open.If Cesc stays If Nasri stays.Get real.They are gone.Did you read Nasri’s comment today.He wants to win titles.Wenger will not allow a player to go into the last year of his contract and leave on a free.Cesc and Clichy will be gone this week and Nasri is on his way to Manchester.Does anyone really believe Wenger will keep Nasri and lose out on Β£20m next summer

25. TotalArsenal says:

Thomad, nice to see you on AA πŸ™‚

Re your second point: what will you do with Jack, Rambo, Song and Diaby, if indeed Arsenal were to buy quality replacements for Cesc and Nasri (assuming for a moment that they would be allowed to leave)?

26. TotalArsenal says:

Thomad, why do you think you are more ‘real’ than other bloggers? Maybe you are just more gullible: believe all the gossip a bit too much? πŸ˜‰

27. Loh says:

TotalArsenal and Rasp, thanks for the comments and updates! Glad I found a place where I can let my 2 cents worth known! =)

Re the comment of “dead wood”… I used to hate that term too as I felt we should be behind our players and some of them (Rosicky and Almunia especially) are once players which I held with high regards. It is unfortunate that their career had taken a dive (esp. Rosicky who has shown so much promise until his injuries problems). Unfortunately, it has come to a time where it’s time for them to move on. I will take back what i said about them being “dead woods”.

However, I couldn’t feel the same about Denilson esp. after his comments re him being a winner and all. Just felt that he is just to egoistic and not walking the talk. So will be good riddance to see him gone.

I am on the fence re bendtner as I did remember him for some vital goals he scored but still couldn’t forget about the glorious chance he missed in the Barca tie that would have potentially put us through to the next round!

Do agree with the player power issue. Unfortunately we can’t do much esp. with players happy to sit around n get a big fat cheque not doing anything.

I guess this just goes to show how bad these signings are to the point there is practically no other remotely bigger teams wanting them! =(

28. oz gunner says:

Love the banter and debate on this website.great to see a site that isnt 100% doom and gloom.

The thing that frustrates me the most (other than denilson still being in the squad) is the rate at which we get business done. We have a rough start to the year so I would of thought bringing in players quickly so they get a chance to gel in the preseason would be a priority. I just don’t want it to be another drawn out affair with talks over nasri and cesc taking up wegners time,when additions and team tactics are greatly needed.

I agree with what others have said about not needing a midfield replacement if cesc goes (ideally I would of prefered cesc stay for a year longer so wilshere and ramsey get a bit more experience). I’m hoping lansbury takes the step up like wilshere did because he looked great in the under 21s when coming off the bench. As for those wanting another DM,i don’t think its needed as frimpong is ready for those games song needs a rest (hopefully I never see eastmond there again,with frimpong and francis looking far better than him). What are others thought on kozza for DM? I think he could make a real fist of it, if other Cbs are brought in reducing his playing time.

Is there anymore news on ryos work permit?

Definently vermaelan as captain for me,he has that fire and passion that so many others in the team seem to be missing!

29. evonne says:

Chas – I have just come back, it was good, thank you

30. oz gunner says:

@ loh

Agree with you on the denilson front,those comments were ridiculous. A winner doesn’t job around the pitch kicking the ball sideways at every opportunity.how did we go from viera to gilberto to flamini and then to him?!

Bendtner is a tricky one,he has loads of potential,but I think the over confidence is more of a hinderance to his development,as he already thinks hes the bees knees,instead of pulling his head in and working on his flaws.Bendtner and chamma would definently flourish in a 442

31. harry says:

TA, I removed it, right up the old crack started rubbing…….lol….

Thomad, until their gone officially, you always hold out hope, vieira once famously emptied his locker and said goodbye, he then stayed 2 more seasons!!

I do believe that we will lose one of Fab or Nasri, I believe cesc will go and nasri will sign a 2year extension with an agreement about been allowed to leave at some stage if he wants……

TA, I agree about a midfielder been captain, but unless we bring someone in, none of ours cut it quite yet, although ramsey is welsh captain, he aint a regular yet for us, will be….its too early for Jack.

If Nasri stays, after all this poor PR, he cant be captain for me.

So it must be TV………

32. TotalArsenal says:

Loh, oz G, maybe it is not as straightforward with Denilson as it seems.

I believe he worked hard to become a regular at Arsenal, but has finally realised he is not going to make it. It is one of the hardest lessons to learn in your (working) life, especially in topsport, to realise that (younger) others are better than you and have surpassed you. It sucks. To keep up his own moral and self-believe, he might have said something to protect his pride. I can understand that.

Yet, all is not lost for him. He should go on loan to Bolton or Everton or so, work his socks off and prove all of us wrong. At Arsenal, I don’t think he will not get a similar chance.

33. jjgsol says:

All this talk about Fab going. We do not need to sell him and barca will not come up with enough money to tempt us.

In any event, they don’t really need him. Does anyone think that he will replace Xavi, Inniesta and Messi in the short term.

If they buy him, he will sit on the bench most of the time,. He knows that, they know that and AW knows that.

I sould not be surprised if they are not using him as a smoke screen for someone else..

Β£35m for him, do me a favour? That will buy one leg.

Nasri can go, if he wants, but does he really want?

We are pretty close. Does anyone think that AW will rip the whole apart and start again? I doubt it.

A couple of purchases is all that we need. If Clichy goes, then no problem. Let him make his costly mistakes for Citeh.

Let us all calm down please.

Pleased it wasn’t a let down, Evonne. πŸ™‚

35. Alfa says:

Hey everyone, I’m making my annual appearance πŸ™‚ .

I’d like to know where Gazides is in all of this. Arsenal are under sustained attack from other big clubs trying to either buy or unsettle our best players. (Chelsea after Theo is the latest rumour, true or not). It’s about time that he stepped up and took the burden of the commercial side of the club so that Arsene can concentrate on making a team out of what is left.

Like I said last year, where are the rumours that we are trying to buy Messi, Bale or Tevez?

There is more to being a CEO than putting up the season ticket prices.

Oh, I fixed the NewsNow logo.

Alfa

36. Afternoon all, nice job on tidying up a quick ramble Peaches πŸ˜€

For me the heroes for me next year should be TV, Jack, RvP and Szczesney, that is the spine of the team, and they need to make sure they are pulling0 all together around them.

For me we keep Kozzer in the middle with TV, JD and Bartley covering when necessary. Sagna at RB obviously, and perhaps Gibbs or maybe a newbie at LB.

Midfield starts Jack, Song and Nasri.

Wide Theo and hopefully Ryo

With RvP up top.

Now regarding Captain my question is why not Jack, quick reminder for you all, Adams was given captaincy at 21 as was Cesc, Jack has broken previous “youngest” records for League and European appearances, what is not to say he can’t break the captaincy record either?

At times last year he was organising and directing (not towards the end when we could all see him physically tire) at 19 he should not have had the most starts.

Now just to quickly deal with the thorny issue of the dead wood.

Appearances Start + sub during the collapse (after CC final) (out of eleven):

Almunia……….2+0
    Fabianski…….0+0
    Eboue…………2+2
    Squillaci………4+1
    Denilson……..2+0
    Diaby………….5+0
    Rosicky……….0+2
    Bendtner……..1+6
    Vela……………0+0

Players rumoured to be leaving or free from such stinging criticism appearances in same period:

Song………….6+1
    RvP……………10+0
    Fabregas……4+0
    Wilshere…….10+1
    Ramsey……..5+2
    Nasri…………9+0
    Clichy………..8+0
    Sagna……….9+0
    Walcott………7+2

But of course it is all the fault of the first set of players right? Average appearances (incl Substitute of) 3, combined of 27.

The superstars played 74 games combined, average of 8.

I can’t work out why the squad players take the most stinging criticism…..I really struggle to see why it was all their fault.

37. evonne says:

Hi GiE – I would have Gennaro Gattuso any day. I know he is too old, but that’s exactly who we need – a defensive midfielder that would scare not only the opposition and the refs, but also anybody on or off the pitch

38. Loh, on Bendtners chance against Barca, he had been on the pitch for little over 10 minutes and it was his first touch.

We have a little running rule on here that RvP always score with his fourth shot on target….so to criticise NikB for that touch is I think harsh.

Other than that most of what you say I have a great deal of empathy for.

39. Evonne imagine the N London Derby with Gattuso involved, there could be a return to the 20 man brawl as Gattuso goes for Jordan again…bring it on!

40. GiE – your point about the squad players taking the blame when it clearly wasn’t their fault is a double-edged sword IMO ……….. if the squad players were able to be utulised more – ie were better players that could come on and do a job when the superstars began to tire then that is what would have happened.

There were hardly any games where our bench held any kind of force and so the superstars just had to keep going.

In addition players like Nik who could make a change were either not given enough time or played out of position.

The squad players don’t take the blame for the failure of last season but if they were better quality they would have been more useful.

41. Agreed Peaches it is, but I just wanted to put out my frustrations with the constant criticism on these players.

Our starting eleven of the past made it a lot easier for these squad players to come on and be part of a winning side as the job was done so often within 50-70 minutes, and rests could be given to Thiery, Bobby and Paddy, players like Wiltord, Cygan, and Grimandi could be part of the winning appearance when the game had little left in it.

Squad players are not all their for impact substitutions, the first eleven have a lot to answer for still for last seasons collapse……

42. Sidcup Reds says:

Wenger’s got to go.
    The season starts next month and not only have we failed to get rid of the dross which is Almunia, Bentner, Eboue, Rosicky, Song, Diaby, Clichy, Arshavin & Squillaci we have also bought no enforcements. For God’s sake, Man U have bought 3, Sunderland 6 players so what’s holding us up? This is scandalous. On top of this our decent players see we are not srenghening and want to move. Who can blame them. Sack Wenger now!

43. evonne says:

GiE- yeah! I am all for it πŸ™‚ the problem with Gennaro is that you are never too sure whom he is looking at, so both Diaby and Denilson would be on their best behaviour πŸ™‚

44. Sidcup, how exactly are we supposed to sell your list if they don’t want to leave?

ManU have indeed bought three, one teenager, one young goalkeeper, and a player who whilst has been good in stages can have a flakey temperament. Are those the kind of players you are looking for Arsene to sign? If so he already has one in the bag (Jenkinson) so another 20something and a inconsistent player will make you happy?

As for Sunderland again are any of the players they have bought ones we are interested in? Point being much easier to do deals at that end of the market.

45. Clearly Sidcup there was no point putting Chelsea in your list as they have signed……oh thats right less than us.

Lets go through the league:
    Sunderland – 6
    Norwich – 4
    Man Utd – 3
    Newcastle – 3
    Wolves – 2
    WBA – 2 (free transfers both)
    Bolton – 1 (free transfer)
    Liverpool – 1 (Henderson Β£20m)
    Swansea – 1
    Tottenham – 1 (40 year old keeper on a free)
    Arsenal – 1 (Jenkinson) (+ 2 youngsters)
    Aston Villa – 0
    Blackburn Rovers – 0
    Chelsea – 0
    Everton – 0
    Fulham – 0
    ManCity – 0
    QPR – 0
    Stoke – 0
    Wigan – 0

So of our nearest rivals only Man Utd have signed more players…..but of course we are so slow to act in the market, Chelsea didn’t win anything last season either remember….but no its us who are really bad at transfers.

46. TotalArsenal says:

GiE πŸ™‚

47. evonne says:

Sidcup Reds – ha ha ha, I know you are pulling my leg πŸ™‚ Scandalous, sack Wenger, oooohhh, you made my weekend πŸ™‚

48. TotalArsenal says:

Hello E vonne Beethoven opera lover, how are you today? πŸ˜†

evonne, got yourself a new boyfriend then πŸ˜‰

I think the Mail should publish all the players that want to stay, would make life much easier.

50. evonne says:

Hiya Total – I do not like opera, morbid stuff in foreign languages

Kelsey – new boyfriend?? I told you I am not inclined ‘that way’ or the other way πŸ™‚ How are things with you, are you ok?

51. RealtyBytes says:

So many of the comments ring true about the state of affairs at Arsenal. It was clearly up to the individual players to bring their best efforts game in and game out. Many players did so RVP, SKZ, JW, BS but many did not such as SN, AA, GC.

Reality, it is up to the Manager to create the environment to enable the players can consistently deliver their best efforts. Reward those who do and demand more from those that do not. If they continue to underperform they should see their playing time reduced, be replaced by more consisent players and released if results are not produced. THIS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MANAGER.

If the players lack of performance is due to being played out of position it once again IS THE MANAGERS FAULT. If the player cannot handle the requirements of the different positions then he should be replaced on the team by a player who can play the required position. This action should be done in a timely mannar and once again IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MANAGER.

If a player is overpaid by the team for the contribution he is making to the team once again IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MANAGER. The situation is obviously awkward but it needs to be addressed in a timely mannar rather than ignored and allowed to become a major problem. A MANAGEMENT ISSUE.

If the team requires experienced players to be added to the roster that will address obvious team deficiencies once again IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MANAGER to address with the highest sense of urgency possible. If the MANAGER does not address the requirement and the team continues to lose key matches due to the same problems IT IS A MANAGEMENT ISSUE.

If key members of the team become frustrated with a team issue, to the point where they go PUBLIC with the issue through the media, it is CLEARLY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MANAGER. The MANAGER must manage the dressing room and ensure that team issues are addressed before frustrations become public knwoledge. The MANAGER cannot procrastinate in addressing the identified issues or COMMIT PUBLICALLY to a course of action to address the problems and then FAIL TO DO SO. This undercuts the trust relationship between the MANAGER and the PLAYERS, creates increased frustration and worse, can demotivates the player(s) to the point where their commitment to the team and their play is affected. THIS OCCURRED THE LAST FEW MONTHS OF THE SEASON. MANY PLAYERS GAVE UP ON THE MANAGER.

OBVIOUSLY, our MANAGER has failed to deal with many of the team issues and has created a dressing room full of frustration and outright anger which has led to a PLAYER REBELLION. The height of frustration comes from working so hard to produce results but seeing the same old mistakes made by the same people occur time and time again. MANAGEMENT for whatever reason, refused to listen to the pleas of individual players to address the problems and finally they had enough. Players rebel and refuse to take it any more. THEY WANTED OUT AND MANY OPENLY BEGAN TO SAY SO..

This is where ARSENAL is at the moment, in the midst of a player rebellion. I do not know if Arsene and the Board of Directors have sufficient time this summer to resolve the serious issues the team now faces. What is apparent is that the team faces a summer of turmoil and that painful and unpopular changes will take place before team stability is restored at some point in the future.

Arsenal are a high profile team in a very competitive sport. Other teams will certainly attempt to improve their own team fortunes at the expense of Arsenal. They will entice key Arsenal players to leave the fold at every opportunity and are now actively doing so.

You should also note recruiting for ARSENAL is now very difficult. The very best players will not be interested in joining Arsenal while the team is in such severe turmoil. It would not be beneficial to their career development.The only players we may be able to attract would be those interested only in the financial gains they can make by agreeing to join a team in such desperate straights.
    These players will be inconsistent performers at best.

ALL of the problems, like it or not, are attributable directly to mistakes made by our MANAGEMENT.

Hi RealtyBytes, that’s quite a forceful post – is it a product of the pressure of the wall to wall press condemnation of our transfer activity or more of a long standing conviction?

I don’t think AW would disagree with your conclusions – just the route by which you have arrived at them. He has taken the responsibility whilst offering justification for his decisions and actions.

53. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Realtyb, what an impressive comment: you really took the time for this one πŸ™‚

I agree with you on a number of MANAGEMENT issues and that Wenger has got his work cut out over the next few months. But a player rebellion? A couple of players are vying for a better contract and the media are desperate for scraps in a footballless summer… πŸ˜† Fabregas is a completely different story. What is your evidence?

54. evonne says:

‘Club in a severe turmoil’ …I’m off to watch some telly, cannot take it anymore

55. dandan says:

Evening all, Having read this lot I am glad I was out with the grand kids. GIE you are one top man, I would make you captain.

Will be interesting to compare GIE’s recruitment list each Sunday as we move through the window if he would be so kind.

Kelsey get off the fence and give em all what for πŸ™‚

56. London says:

Sometimes it feels like pushing water up hill.

57. London says:

Squad players, squad players, squad players.

Did Wenger buy Rosicky with a view that he would be a squad player, I don’t think so? Did Wenger buy Vela with a view of him being a squad player, I also don’t think so. The same is true of Denilson who was raved about when he first arrived and set the CC alight with some fine performances and some great goals.
    Wenger doesn’t go out his way to buy squad players he buys players who he hopes will be good enough to play for the first team week in and week out. The glaringly obvious fact is that not every player is going to succeed as well as another. This is the reason we still have those players not because Wenger purposely went out his way to buy “squad players”.
    There is an exception and that is forth choice CB. This is a role in which the player must be prepared to join the club on the understanding that he may spend the whole season on the bench, any one with half a brain will realise that this role will only attract a certain player, hence the arrival of Squillachi and before that Silvestre.
    I put this idea forward before and got a response of, well if Barcelona can have players like Macherano as back up way can’t we. Firstly Macherano is not forth choice and if anyone saw how desperate Tevez was to get to a Spanish speaking country you should realise the same is true of Macherano and his wife.

58. goonermichael says:

Rumours on the web and in the press are a bit different to an onslought from other clubs. (in response to en earlier comment) Is’t it funny how “deadwood” has become an Arsenal blog catchphrase.

Hello Everyone
    Well, I pop off for a couple of weeks holiday and come back to find that you’ve let half the first team hand in transfer requests while I’ve been away.

Seriously though, I have been enjoying catching up with the posts – some real crackers recently.

The “RvP to join exodus” story is the clearest example yet of a totally made-up Fleet Street special. The story has no quotes (not even anything attributed to a ‘close friend’ or a ‘source at the club’). You can just picture the sports editor wondering what to fill his pages with and saying “I know, let’s run a piece saying van Persie will be off unless Wenger strengthens the team. Everyone will believe it cos we all know that half their team are trying to leave.”

I’m quite glad I’ve been away with all this unsubstantiated doom-mongering in the press going on.

60. Alfa says:

Hi goonermichael, that might have been my comment you referred to. I’m not the only person who thinks that AW has been made to carry the whole weight of the club and that is a big part of why his vision hasn’t quite come together. I didn’t say “deadwood” though. I’m in the positive camp, always support the players and the manager even if they all have off days at times.

In terms of a captain, I think I would choose Nasri, until we have a replacement for Tony Adams in the back four.

61. Gooner in Exile says:

πŸ˜€ Rocky I’m sure you can produce a masterpiece, “Bale to cross Seven Sisters Road”? Maybe it’ll make Wednesdays redtop and be in BBC gossip column by Thursday

62. London says:

What, We are signing Bale?

63. London says:

They are going to be very upset in N17.

64. London says:

Will he be replacing Clichy?

65. goonermichael says:

The truth is Alfa that we don’t know if the red or blue mancs want/think they can get Nasri. The robin story is a prime example of the press making stuff up. We also now have AA and Theo wanting out. It’s all a bit pathetic really. football writers are generally lazy scum.

I’ll write the headline……. ‘Totnum star Bales out Arsenal left back’ πŸ™„

Hi Rocky, nice to have you back.

68. evonne says:

Welcome back Rocky

69. London – I understand what you’re saying and I didn’t ever think that AW went out of his way to buy squad players – obviously not.

The disappointing thing is that the players that have been relegated to squad players ie Rosicky, Denilson are in that position because they weren’t good enough to keep a first team place and this season we’ll find out whether any of our younger players that were out on loan could have done a better job.

Hindsight is brilliant πŸ™‚

70. Hi Rocky – hope you had a good hol, welcome back πŸ˜€

71. TotalArsenal says:

Bale is indeed coming to us for Β£20m + Rosicky in exchange (who will replace Modric who is going to Inter).

72. TotalArsenal says:

Good to see you back Rocky πŸ™‚ You have missed absolutely nothing on the transfer front: good timing.

73. oz gunner says:

Surely common sense prevails in regards to the ridiculous articles linking every arsenal player leaving. Next itl be wegners dog and the pitch staff want out and are on their way to man city.

Has there been anymore news on ryo getting a permit?

74. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, looks like there is still no visa for Ryo at the moment and it is unsure whether he will return on loan to Feyenoord next season (they are keen to try out some of their own youngsters apparently)

75. oz gunner says:

we haven’t been very lucky on the permit front have we. i hope he gets into the international team soon so the process is speeded up

76. oz gunner says:

is anyone else on here worried about clichy going to one of our rivals? He may be error prone on the odd occassion but on top form he is one of the best in europe, i mean we were all saying Cashley who? In a team that has a winger who actually tracks back and does’t require him to send in crosses he will be a very good player. I just hope its all media speculation because he is needed, especially when gibbs isn’t ready (let alone his injury problems).

77. Gooner in Exile says:

Oz I’m of a similar opinion to you, a City friend asked me for strengths and weaknesses, and all I could say in summation was that he has regularly been caught out of position and in possession, but a more disciplined player in front of him would help him.

78. oz gunner says:

A few years ago he did force ronaldo to change wings as he was getting no joy out of clichy, not to mention he was named in the EPL team of the season. If we got someone like baines our attack would be more potent, as his assists and set pieces would help, but defensively he is not as good as clichy. So by playing AA in front we could be worse off down the left. Worst case scenario if he does go I just hope we get someone as reliable as sagna, because he is immense down the right defensively. Clichy would be a great acquisition for man city, i’d much rather sell him for less to a team abroad

79. Gooner in Exile says:

Just ordered a double espresso with two extra shots. Only excuse waking at 3:15 and been driving since 4.

I’ve run out of decent podcasts so it’s TalkShite this morning. Thankfully they’re Haye bashing at the moment.

Oh and Cesc flies in for training today but hopes its only a short trip……ALLEGEDLY (altho they didn’t see that).

Here’s a thought though, we were privy to some info about an unsettled camp last season via a blog regular which specified from memory a unease with Cesc about him not being popular. Using twitter as a barometer I’d say closest players were Jack, RvP and Cesc. What if Samirs going because Cesc isn’t? Clichy too for that matter? Saying that I’ve also seen Nas and Cesc joking about pre match but I thought why not put it out there it’s as strong a story as anything writers by the mediots.

80. Gooner in Exile says:

Writers=written more espresso please nurse.

81. evonne says:

Morning GiE – easy lad, you’ll give yourself a heart attack with all that junk!!

And what if both Cesc and Samir stay – what does that mean?? Mark Twain had famously written : ‘I’ve lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened’ πŸ™‚

82. London says:

Have I got this right, does the pre-season training start today?

83. Gooner in Exile says:

It does indeed London for players injured at end of last season and loanees returning.

Morning all.

GIE,,

I am pro Wenger but accept his faults,his stubborness in playing below par players and especially playing them out of position.

Many sites are screaming for Wenger to be sacked,but I take the view because of his loyalty he is covering up for the BoD.none of us know how much money is available for quality players and thanks initially to Chelsea and now City we have absolutely no chance of signing any player they may want.
    There is definitely unrest in the camp,most probably caused by earnings, as many think they are far better than they are,but basically it is a team game not a team filled with superstars.(Take England as a good example of highly paid prima donnas,performing to an abysmal standard as basically it s club before country,i.e. wages rule all.)
    Thos e who want Wenger out and say in theory it would happen the first thing a new man would want to know is about funds for transfers, and I honestly don’t believe that things would be any different .The board have a strategy to have financial stability first and foremost at least for the time being.
    my main conern is that i feel that some of the players have lost respect for their manager and that could be a very dangerous outcome to pre season build up and next season.

Hi kelsey,

Re: your last sentence – I alluded to the same thing in my post the other day….

……”The aura of ArsΓ¨ne Wenger’s managerial brilliance borne from the days of the Invincibles is wearing thin.”

I agree that the perception by many of AW has changed from a winner to a stylish loser. It is unrerasonable to have expected any more than he has achieved in recent years given the constraints he has had to work under.

New post ……….