Sing up for the Arsenal – L’pool today

It seems an eternity ago that Reina scored an own goal following a Chamakh header in the 90th minute to gain our first point of the season. It was to be a pre-cursor to the season  – Arsenal have all the play, the opposition score a superb goal (without question Ngog best PL goal) and we have a player (Koscielny) sent off by an insane referee.  Liverpool went on to have a dreadful few months and looked in deep trouble until the return of King Kenny.

Much water has flowed since those days. January gave Liverpool an belated Xmas gift when they swapped a misfiring Torres for two fine young attackers. I fear for our CB’s today because Liverpool have once again  formidable attacking options. Carroll has terrorised us before and scored at the Grove this season, Suarez looks a fine player and Kuyt has found his scoring boots. Thankfully they remain shaky at the back and are suffering from a minor injury crisis. No Gerrard is a plus but Meireles has improved enormously and against Man City Liverpool’s midfield totally dominated.

If Liverpool play the same expansive game at the Grove as they played at the weekend, this will be a terrific game. With only Sagna definitely out we have almost a full squad to choose from and AW will be racking his brain to sort out who starts. Should he play Diaby in light of Carrol’s height? Should he play Bendtner to take advantage of Liverpool’s frailties? In my opinion, No, to both 🙂  We must play our game and see how Liverpool cope.

My team:

I expect a tight game, much will depend upon us stifling the supply to the front men. A concentrated Song is essential as Blackpool exploited us through the middle thanks to Diaby’s poor positioning  – he isn’t a DM and it showed. As ever Theo’s pace will be a big threat and more of the long balls from Cesc to RvP would be good – he is sure to score from one of them.

Let us hope for a strong referee to curb the excesses of the mad Carragher  (I used to have a dog that had Mad Carragher’s Disease – it got put down soon after the diagnosis).

Should we win today the League is still on, the confidence gained will boost the side ahead of the trip to the Lane, and renewed belief will build in the Grove. To those who are lucky enough to have tickets, please make some noise and show the team the support they deserve. This game could be tight and nerves may fray, don’t take it out on the players – start singing and then sing some more.

You can will the team to victory.

Remember 26/5/1989.

Today be the 12th man ……

COYRRG

Written by BigRaddy

A message from peaches

My very beautiful number 1 daughter Rachel is running the London Marathon today on behalf of the National Autistic Society. As a family we have a lot to thank the NAS for as my youngest was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, a condition on the Autistic spectrum, when he was just four years old. We spent years battling the education system to get him support and learning how to teach him to be a sociable young man. The information that the NAS was able to pass on to us was invaluable. There is a much better understanding of all Autistic Spectrum disorders now and that is due to the gathering of information by this extremely hardworking worthwhile organisation.

We’ve flagged up a couple of charitable causes in the last few weeks but if you feel you would like to support Rachel and her Marathon Run for the National Autistic Society you can go to her giving page here. The Marathon Run is a pretty mega thing to decide to do and I’m immensely proud of her, even more so because she said it was fine for me to go to football on Sunday. What a girl huh!

Only, last night she hoped I would be at the finish and so I’ve given my ticket to Rasp for the game but hope to catch up with the second half at The Tollington on my way home.

76 Responses to Sing up for the Arsenal – L’pool today

1. mark reed says:

well said our away fans are second to none in the singing dept.Wish i could say the same for the home fans. Come on get up and shout and sing you did it in the barca match do it again 12TH MAN!

2. Gooner In Exile says:

We don’t have to worry about Andy Carroll as I have put him in my Fantasy League side this week and that is sure to result in a non score for the young man.

We need the crowd today more than ever this season. Big games are where big players need to shine, Song needs to be disciplined alongside Jack while Cesc, Theo, Samir and RvP should be allowed to roam free up front move the old legs of Carragher around, and threaten the young Flanagan.

Assuming the midfield of Liverpool is Meireles, Spearing and Lucas we should have more than enough to out muscle them. Suarez is a threat tho so we will need the back four to hold back their attacking tendencies.

Hi GiE,

I shall be at the game today and I shall be taking particular note of our defensive formation when the fullbacks go bombing forward. I have said before that I think our high % of possession works against us when it doesn’t result in goals. We slowly commit more and more players forward and compress play high up which makes us even more vulnerable to the counter.

4. Evonne says:

GIE – pheeeewww…tenk God for that, I was seriously scared of Carrol

The Scoucers have arrived – I have seen a few old cars on the side of A110 and dodgy looking individuals in the bushes with their pants down

5. Gooner In Exile says:

“The Scoucers have arrived – I have seen a few old cars on the side of A110 and dodgy looking individuals in the bushes with their pants dow”

After what you told me and Carlito about your activities in the woods/bushes I’d keep quiet 😀

Its very quiet here today, everyone enjoying the sun?

6. SharkeySure says:

Afternoon all.

I’m on family duty, well til 3.55 anyway.

I’m really unsure of how Liverpool will approach this game, or what choices they actually have considering their injury list.

I’m hoping for an open game, that will suit us more than them.

7. Evonne says:

I am on dog-sitting duty. Peaches and my son went to collect our brave little beauty from the marathon!

GIE – it took me a while to understand what you meant about my bush activities! OMG, I forgot I told you! BTW, I cannot do it anymore there, some homeless guys moved in 😦

8. SharkeySure says:

Do what, where ?

Beans, spill, now !

9. Gooner in Exile says:

Sharkey – It’s something I’m sure only a few Peroni liberated from Evonnes secrets. And I wouldnt like to divulge on a public forum.

10. SharkeySure says:

I thin you’ve got my email address somewhere GiE !!

In other news, Sz starts, and Walcott is in for the Meerkat. I guess they’re the only changes, as the BBC has not listed the full side yet.

I’m really hoping to see Big Yoyo

Ah… nice to see that Raddy’s still with us even when he isn’t, even you know what I mean.

He talked about Carroll terrorising us in the past but when we played the Geordies at our place I seem to remember that they had only one chance on goal in the whole game – and that would have been an easy save if Fabianski had not stupidly committed himself by running out for a cross he could never reach. If he’d stayed on his line the ball would have looped into his arms.

I feel we’re going to see a good performance from the lads today and – sticking my neck out – a good win: 3-1, with goals from RvP, Theo and Cesc.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Eboue, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Diaby, Wilshere, Walcott, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie. Subs: Lehmann, Song, Squillaci, Arshavin, Gibbs, Chamakh, Bendtner.

so song is on the bench, and good afternoon to one and all and the e mail has finally arrived 😉

13. SharkeySure says:

All out attack. Thats great news !!!

14. Gooner in Exile says:

Arsenal we normally do things with class. Gunnersaurus involved in minutes silence not classy. 😦

15. Gooner in Exile says:

Damn we need a striker….one who will attack the six yard box.

16. SharkeySure says:

I had the same thought GiE !!

17. Evonne says:

something wrong with the stats on Sky – possession Arsenal 13% Liverpool 22% ???

18. SharkeySure says:

You’re stealing all my lines today giE. I came on to write exactly the same thing. A proper goal poacher could have three tap-ins already.

I always thought 1st forward went near post, 2nd went penalty spot. RVP is our 1st forward, and is always waiting for a cut back. If he goes in early, he takes defenders with him, and any cut back runs to our 2nd striker or midfielder.

We’re playing quite well though, but you really do need to score whilst on top.

19. SharkeySure says:

Teenage left back comes on, 1 minute later Walcott gets ball, moves infield AWAY from teenage LB, instead of testing him before any cover arrives.

Nasri’s had a cracking half.

20. Gooner in Exile says:

Think it’s been good in general Wilshere not sure of himself alongside Diaby like last week.

Cesc trying stuff and looking good, few too many flicks from RvP but we need to take risks so one will come off.

Eboues had great half full of running and some clever passes. Theo being double/treble teamed so needs to be quicker moving ball to free men.

It’s easy from the armchair tho.

21. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

When they show the %’s it is for the ball in the area.

So, if Arsenal have 22% possession of the ball in or around the ‘Pool box they show that in the ‘Pool box.

The reverse is true, with ‘Pool having 13% of the ball in or around the Arsenal box, and the 65% general play either side of the halfway line.

That’s how I saw it. 🙂

22. Red Arse says:

Seems like a re-run of so many home games this season.

Not playing badly, but static in their penalty area. We just do not look like scoring. 😦

23. SharkeySure says:

Speechless !!!

Absolutely speechless

24. Gooner in Exile says:

Note to Alex Song when the ball is bouncing at your feet with a minute to go kick the thing as far up the pitch as possible…play like a defensive midfielder for once in your life!

25. SharkeySure says:

Speechless

26. Red Arse says:

Odd that. Mariner gives 8 minutes added on time, then plays 12 minutes.

Bastard!

27. Gooner in Exile says:

You can’t fathom that Sharkey players have to take responsibility when they have a job to do.

28. SharkeySure says:

Complete comedy of errors, one after another.

Liverpool on the attack and we had people practically jogging back. Why on earth didn’t we at least have two banks of four.

Obviously I would have taken the win that way or any way, but I’m really not convinced that we actually deserved one.

RVP was pretty awful today. Back to his slowing everything down worst !!

29. Gooner in Exile says:

Can’t blame the ref for that RA he had to add a minute for goal and it took a good minute to sort out the wall for free kick.

Why don’t they clear their lines!!!

30. SharkeySure says:

Agreed Red Arse, but to be fair to the ref, he has to let them take the free kick, and follow that passage of play to a point of no danger. Had Eboue simply shepherded Lucas/Kuyt? out of the box then he has the chance to blow

31. SharkeySure says:

Back in a bit, gone to find my kids

32. Gooner in Exile says:

Agreed on RvP Sharkey, thought him and Cesc were both poor compared to what they are capable of.

In these games you need your best players to show up and they didn’t.

33. Red Arse says:

Is it me or is there any justification for having a prat like Redknap on as a pundit.

Talk about one eyed biased comments. Actually that’s nothing — just wait until he tells us how great his dad is on Wednesday.

Frankly, I am usually an optimist, and look for the plusses, but we were just not good enough today. Slow, pedestrian, and lacking in guile.

The only way we looked like scoring was with a penalty. Then having got one ……….

GIE and Sharkey are right. How immature not to fall back into two banks of four, and play out the last minute or two with all out defence. Naive.

34. SharkeySure says:

Sz defends Kuyts shot. Then Sz almost hurries to kick the ball upfield. I’d have happily seen him kick it straight out for a GK at the other end.

When Pool get the ball back, Bentdner is miles from Eboue, both Fab and Sammi are practically in the centre circle.

Robinson punts it upfield and Kuyt has time and space to knock the ball back to another black shirt. We should not have had a plyer more than 30yds from our goal, with the exception of say the Meerkat, if RVP goes to defend the left side in front of Clichy.

35. pravin says:

Terrible terrible defending right at the death. I think we were gifted the penalty but gave a stupid one away when a hack out of the box would have been better. Sometimes I think we lack the guile to see out tough matches and make the wise decisions at the right time. Sigh! Much improved performance though, compared to the previous home games. Diaby was great I think!

But then again…such a waste.

36. SharkeySure says:

Preventing the opposition from scoring when you have no desire or need to score yourslves is fairly straightforward.

Hence we find that teams like B’burn and S’land get a point at te Emirares but can lose heavily to other teams around them, as they open up in search of goals.

We’ve watched Liverpool play for 98mins with a formation that leaves almost zero space. Al we had to do was copy that for 90secs, and we didn’t even try to do it, let alone succeed at it.

If we don’t get a new (defensive) coach/asst mgr in, I’m really not sure how this is ever gonna change. Its been happening all season.

The new coach, should teach the WHOLE TEAM a new concept of defensive awareness, individual responsibilities, and accountability.

37. Red Arse says:

Sharkey, agreed.

But realistically we could do with new tactics and a different type of forward.

This sideways, wing to wing passing has been discussed on here ad nauseam, but it is still going on, game after game. This leaves our attack/midfield stretched across the field with (maybe) one in the penalty area.

Sadly, as an Arsene man, I am beginning to think he is not responding appropriately to what is obvious to the humble observer. 😦

38. Evonne says:

That cretin Eboue, sorry guys, I don’t like insulting anyone, but he deserves it. What the feck was he doing??

39. Gooner in Exile says:

And that’s the problem Evonne it’s a team game and the performance was not his fault, and the TEAM failed to defend properly at the end, or play well enough to make possession count.

RvP failed to attack the 6 yard box on at least three occasions first half.

40. Gooner in Exile says:

And to be fair to Eboue he is only looking at the ball whilst Lucas steps in front and applies brakes to buy a penalty for his team.

41. Evonne says:

GIE – no, I don’t buy it, soz. He was the most experienced player in the team, he should have known better. The last minute there was sheer panic amongst the players and he panicked too, he’s a muppet

42. harry says:

On train back home, deflated and truly gutted, shambolic and that was just the AA attendance at the tavern, dont start me on the match………
    6pts behind 18 to play for, unlikely now, just wish they were all away games…..

43. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I think we all would agree that Lucas ‘bought’ the penalty by going over so easily. That’s ‘professional’ football.

Eboue was gullible, (unprofessional) for going anywhere near him when he was running away from goal. 10 seconds later and the whistle would have blown.

Eboue made the killer mistake, but the whole team was culpable, as you said.

44. Red Arse says:

Harry,

I feel for you.

It was bad enough watching on the TV, the joy at the last minute penalty goal giving us the three points, and then the horror show of giving a stupid penalty away, and with it throwing 2 points we desperately need.

But travelling home after those sort of games always seems ten times worse.

Did we really deserve to win ?Liverpol are a much improved side yet no gerrard, suarez quite ineffectual, carroll limped through after twenty minutes, carracher goes off and still they defend resutely with a pair of kids as full backs.only once did we threaten reina via rvp, tipy tappy always the same.this is no surprise to me as we have been inconsistent all season and we only play one way. ffs shoot,shoot a bit more.
    cesc still looks to me that he wants away, and although disappointed not unexpected.no leadership, no mental strength to get over that last hurdle.
    sure, we are a great team to watch but so often fail when we have to win. i dread the spurs game.

sorry that’s how i see it, but my support is as before, but it is getting increasingly frustrating.

we desperately need an out an out striker.

46. SharkeySure says:

Agreed Kelsey.

Man A outside box passes ball to man Bin box, and man A runs into box. Millions watching worldwide know that man B is going to give the ball back to man A. Occasionally we need to feint the return pass and take on the shot, or even just shoot without a feint. We only seem to feint to shoot to open up space for a pass.

On one occasion Nasri was in front of goal with mnost of the goal to shoot at as the ball came across his path. Instead he rolled the ball onto a man (Walcott?) who then had a tighter angle to shoot from. He attempted a cross into a very crowded area, with no success.

47. SharkeySure says:

Re Red Arse questioning the timing earlier. I’m now of the thought that we scored, and it seems that time was added on for our celebrations. Pool score and we had 5-10secs before the whistle went. Odd??

48. Carlito11 says:

Media lockdown for me. I will say this though: we should change the club motto to “Snatching draws from the jaws of victory”. Only one thing left to do this season and that’s right the wrong of the NLD home defeat this Wednesday. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

49. Gooner in Exile says:

I don’t have a problem with the pass and move it created one GT edged chance for RvP who instead of driving low and hard chipped into Reinas (who being a good keeper stood tall) body.

We had some success in the first half picking holes in defence but too many times the ball rolled harmlessly across the box because we had no one attacking the near post. We had the opportunity to be 2 up if players had got on the end of those balls.

At half time Liverpool had time to regather/reorganise and deny the space that was there in the first half. If one player had taken a gamble they would have had to attack more because they would have been a goal down.

We made poor decisions all over the park today, the players need to take responsibility and for once I hoped Wenger would come out and give them hell in an interview. As some need a rocket now especially the big names who think they are good enough to win things elsewhere, until they show something here they won’t be wanted elsewhere.

50. Gooner In Exile says:

GT = gilt

51. goonermichael says:

We’ve basically given a very poor man utd side the title. Even after we scored I was expecting a drama.

52. Gooner In Exile says:

I couldn’t watch our penalty, and I couldn’t watch the free kick, when my wife said it had missed I looked up and Eboue was clattering into Lucas.

I preferred keeping my jumper over my head!

53. goonermichael says:

There is something wrong at our club. The players we have should win these type of games. We dominated them. We are too shot shy and when we fizz balls across the goal line there is never anyone there. The mancs seem to score tap ins from 2 feet all the time.

54. goonermichael says:

Although EE made a mistake it’s unfair to blame him.

Half way home from the match!
    Peaches,
    Sorry for the phone messages, left early so did not read the post to know you were not there.
    Bugger Harry and Rasp, could have met up. Went to what used to be the Plimsol afterwards. Easy to get a drink and wait for crowds to go. Recommended.
    Posted this comment yesterday:
    “We need a striker, and a very very expensive one”.

56. Gooner in Exile says:

What bugs me more than anything is looking at the PL table and three of the four games that came before today.

I always had us down for needing a point against each Liverpool, Spuds and Man U.

I had not factored drawing with Blackburn, Sunderland and WBA. Those 6 points lost would have seen us level on points with ManUre tonight with everything to play for.

We were scupperred by officials (and injuries) against Sunderland but the other two are inexcusable.

Yet again people will question our defence but yet again it was our failure to create against two banks of four that is most frustrating.

57. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oh dear 😉

The way Arsenal capitulated the PL Title in that 90 minutes + 10 minutes of injury time has done it 4 me. Arsene Wenger has made me want to “walk” away from all things Arsenal until he has left the building.

You may all still believe in him & his boy Cesc, but I don’t anymore.

George Graham forever!!!!!!

GiE Hi,
    The way you say that we fail to break down the two banks of four rather implies some bus parking, however, on numerous occasions yesterday we break against a single bank of four. Then stop and wait for the second bank to arrive. For me, that bit is the most frustrating.
    Oh, and the substitutions, oh dear. We need a win, so we bring on Bendy and stick him wide!!!

59. Gooner in Exile says:

I know Micky that has been endemic over last few weeks both slowing play and bringing NikB on to waste him out wide.

If Cesc can’t/won’t play in a four I have to ask if we should keep him. I am beginning to think the same of RvP who for me is not a striker, for me, he just doesn’t have the instinctiveness of a born goalscorer to lead the line on his own.

We have built a team round these two if we could get £80m for the pair I’d take it (maybe even £70m) as long as it’s all available to Arsene to spend and he uses it to pick up three/four squad strengtheners.

Hleb has apparently said he wants a return to Arsenal (a shame we ever lost him).

Well done to Jack Wilshere for his PFA Young Player award, I can’t understand if Bale qualified for both why if he wins the big title he doesnt win the young player too? Is it two votes? And are players allowed to vote for the same player in both awards?

PFA team of the year:

Nani (Man Utd)
    Nasri (Arsenal)
    Wilshere (Arsenal)
    Bale (Tottenham)

Tevez (Man City)
    Berbatov (Man Utd)

Let me ask you all a question.

Did cesc look like a leader on the pitch yesterday,his talent is in no doubt, but the drive from a captain in a must win game to me just wasn’t there.

Some will say he is still worried about his hamstring problem, but that is not an excuse.

Many of us have said before that the natural talent and ability of many players is drummed out of them to fit into our system of extreme close passing especially near the box instead of taking the direct route.
    The title is gone, and one win in seven in all competitions doesn’t bode well for the remaining fixtures,of which none are easy.

GiE,
    Wow. Honestly, I heard exactly those conversations about Cesc (heart with us) and RvP (lone striker) three times on tube between Finbury Park and Waterloo. I 100% agree.

Kelsey,
    Agree. I am terrified of the game on weds. Spurs have everything to play for. Absolutely dreading it.

Off to meeting, then long drive home. Till tonight my lovelies.

65. Gooner in Exile says:

Courtesy of ArsenalGent on twitter…made me giggle….

“You put your Wenger in, your Wenger out, Wenger in, Wenger out, shake it all about. You do the Wenger squabble and you turn around…

That’s what Twitter’s all about. Oi! Oh, we do the Wenger cokey, oh we do the Wenger cokey, oh, we do the Wenger oh I’m off to bloody bed.”

66. Gooner in Exile says:

Kelsey I don’t buy the drumming talent out argument.

Surely the manager creates an environment in which the flair players can play their game (witness the play of Bould, Adams, Dixon and Winterburn on his arrival) I fear that he has overegged the pudding and wonder whether we have too many flair players and not enough driving force players.

GIE,

well Rosicky and Arshavin are good examples and even RVP to an extent,and Fabregas.

I agree that we have too many flair players,but they are becomming clones of each other.

68. goonermichael says:

I don’t think Cesc is a leader. He’s not in the new Nike kit pictures by the way. I know for a fact that they shot Jack, AA, Song and Theo, It may not mean anything but I think AA is staying. We’ve actually gone backwards points wise since last season. I fear for us next season when some others strengthen.

Our problems stem from our training techniques. Hlebitis infected our play 5 years ago and it continues to blunt our attacking play.

I agree with GiE, RvP is not a centre forward and Cesc is not indispensable. Our possession is 90% pointless, we panic when under pressure and we no longer have the excuse of youth. We couldn’t hold on to 1 goal yesterday, 2 goals against the spuds or even even 4 goals against toon.

70. Evonne says:

Morning Rasp, are you better today? You looked very down after the game yesterday 😦

Morning Evonne, to be honest, this is about as low as I have felt in the Arsene era.

Listening to the supporters on the way from the ground and on the train, there was a common theme. It wasn’t laced with expletives or the rantings of ‘spoilt new fans’, but the resigned words of mature supporters asking the question, is it time AW moved on?…….

72. Evonne says:

Rasp – was there booing at the end of the game?

I didn’t hear any booing, but a lot of fans left early. I was near red action section and the ‘north bank’ and the singing was great. The 1 minutes silence was observed impeccably.

74. Evonne says:

Rasp – chin up, we going to smash Tottenham on Wednesday 🙂

There’s a New Post

76. oklahoma sooners apparel…

[…]Sing up for the Arsenal – L’pool today « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…