Are Arsenal hungry for success?

Right chaps, I’ve got some info that’s going to make your day. Have you ever worried about your testosterone levels? Well, I’ve been doing some research on all of your behalfs and there are some very simple ways for you to make sure you never have to worry ……….

What actually happened was, having been banging on about the perceived ‘lack of testosterone’ on show from our team I went delving into the depths of male hormones on the internet to see what I could discover.

Obviously, raised levels of testosterone and other performance enhancing hormones are detectable by testing but what if the reverse was happening to our players? I quickly dropped the idea that some sort of doping was going on although when you see how the team come out after half-time it would be easy to suggest that they’ve definitely had something slipped into their tea.

Red meat. How much Red Meat do our men get to eat?  Now I know that everything about red meat points to unhealthy diet but lack of fat affects concentration, something that we’ve long worried about with regards to some of our players.  Our chaps do lead a pretty healthy existence so why deprive them of the calories and the taste. Reduced fat is all very well if you have sedentary job but these guys burn up calories for a living and so I say give them meat.

Not wanting to bore the pants of you with too much science you’ll know that testosterone is useful for ensuring that you have a fulfilling sex-life, deep voices and hairy chests. Many of you already know the perils of having too much testosterone as that is responsible for hair loss in men.  Here’s a little test you can all do. Research has shown that women – who have low levels of testosterone, generally have their index finger the same size as their ring finger, whereas in men the ring finger will be longer than the index finger because they have higher levels. Have you all had a look?

Now, while it was great fun to think about the size of the fingers all the men I knew it wasn’t exactly the truth I was looking for. I don’t know enough about the strict eating regime that Arsene instills at the club but I do know that many of our chaps are bred to be lean so that they are quick. Maybe it’s only the girls that notice that some of our players physiques change dramatically during their time at the club but I feel that maybe the lean, low-fat approach is damaging to our fighting spirit on the pitch.

Seriously, this isn’t as mad as it sounds, research into the effects of testosterone and competitive behaviour suggests that testosterone increases competitiveness and risk taking and surely that’s some of what we’re missing. I’m not criticising the players here, maybe it’s not their fault entirely.

We know that Arsene’s new regime extended the playing careers of several players when he joined the club and I’m all for healthy eating but we have witnessed a dumbing down of assertiveness, tenacity and sheer bloody minded fighting spirit and something needs to be done to reverse this trend.

So, Arsene if you’re reading, Zinc is the most natural way to increase testosterone levels and can be found in oysters, beans, red meat, turkey, brown rice and cottage cheese. Do men even eat cottage cheese? Foods rich in vitamin A and B also bolster testosterone levels these include apples, pineapples and citrus fruits and spinach, carrots and red peppers, salmon is filled to the gills with it, eggs contain it and bananas have the added benefit of potassium which helps to produce testosterone.

Alternatively food parcels should be sent to The Arsenal Training Ground, London Colney, Hertfordshire.

Written by peachesgooner

110 Responses to Are Arsenal hungry for success?

Haha peaches, an entertaining post for a friday. I know that there is a serious point here, what should a manager value most in a player, stamina and pace or power and aggression?

Maybe players in different parts of the pitch should have different attributes? It is undeniable that diet has a significant level of performance and I’m sure AW has used the most up to date research to formulate his plan for the players, but it might just be that a side effect is a lowering in testosterone and therefore ‘attack’ when on the pitch.

Its an interesting question and not one that should be dismissed, sometimes we are lacking just 1% extra, who knows, a tweak in the dietary regime might just give that extra boost.

2. Red Arse says:

Peaches, you have bowled me over and thrown a new light on things for me!

My girlfriend meets the criteria you describe exactly; ‘testosterone is useful for ensuring that you have a fulfilling sex-life, deep voices and hairy chests’, I don’t mind her having the first two but the hairy chest has bugged me and now I know why!

So she has got to say goodbye to — ‘oysters, beans, red meat, turkey, brown rice and cottage cheese’ — well she can have the cottage cheese!!

Thank you Auntie Peaches! 🙂

3. Gooner in Exile says:

Very amusing, but may unfortunately be true. Whilst not red meat it does seem our younger players along with most other premiership players go the Nandos route for food…..my guess is high protein low carb diets, but perhaps it is the carbs our players are missing that burst of energy.

Didn’t Tony Adams used to have a Mars bar and can of coke before every game, something that always perplexed Arsene

I can’t hang around this morning but I’d add that if you look at Wilshere and Rooney (two of the most determined players in the prem) there is a considerable similarity in their structure.

I have googled the effects of testosterone on bone structure and found this…

Due to the action of testosterone, males develop these facial-bone features during puberty:

* A more prominent brow bone.
    * A heavier jaw.
    * More prominent chin.
    * Larger nose bone.

In short, they look a bit meaner because they are a bit meaner and if controlled, that extra level of determination makes them better players.

5. Morning Peachy/Raspers – interesting take on the dietary side of our lack of fighting spirit.
    What I have noticed is the lean-ness of our players means we are more susceptible to impact injuries, i.e. in any 50-50 our players tend to come off worse as we have less bulk to absorb the impact.
    However I hadn’t really considered the hormonal side of things, but it does remind me of something I read previously that men have a hormonal cycle as well, a time of the month where the testosterone levels dip and we become prone to spells of indecisiveness and lack of confidence.
    I often joke to co workers when I’ve made a boo-boo that it’s “my time of the month” – perhaps our players are exhibiting symptoms of what happens when women work closely together for long periods and their cycles start to coincide?
    Probably a way out idea, but I’m just running that idea up the flag pole.

6. king gooner says:

as dell boy would say..arsene needs to take them out for a slap up steak dinner on a regular basis that would put a bit meat on ’em…half the time a gust of wind would knock ’em over..&in the prem we’ve thugs & bullies like shawcross,barton,vidic etc you have to toughen up…

7. Evonne says:

Peaches, that must be best post I have read on this blog yet! Micky promised me a cracker from Peaches and he was spot on!
    AND you might be completely right. I have read somewhere about canteen at Colney Hatch and how the food served there is all healthy, balanced and nutritious. But nobody mentioned the male hormones. The team look very docile at times, a bit unnatural for a bunch of young males.
    And have you noticed how thin Arsene has become? Does he eat at the canteen too?

8. Evonne says:

Shubhamgoel27 – you are the one to talk about changing names?! What is that shubhamgoel?? Anyway, Szczesny is a beautiful name and means Lucky, why change it?

Peaches – did you check Nick’s fingers?

9. Anthony Timothy says:

If Arsenal hope to win the title,they have to start by beating Liverpool who are on a high after the 3-0
    demolition of MC. It won’t be easy but a win is a must.MU are due a draw/loss after seven consecutive wins.Law of averages will come in at some stage for the red faced. You can’t win every game.Similarly a person can’t be happy/fir evrey day.
    The gunners wwill have to take one game at a time.e will discuss the Spurs game if the gunners win.

10. Hi Evonne, I can answer that Shubham is a first name, and Goel is a surname, however for the changing aspect of your question, I don’t know.

Shubham, if you’re around I believe it’s customary to leave some sort of comment on the post when you post up a link. It’d be nice to hear your take on Peachy’s dietary view on our teams lack of tenacity.

11. Evonne says:

cheers Chary!

12. Evonne
    I’d just mentioned that in a sarcastic way as its quite difficult to spell.Nothing offensive mate

13. Shubham – just call him “Chesney” like everyone else does. Incidentally Evonnne is a very much a girl so she may be surprised by being called “mate” 🙂

14. Carlito11 says:

Don’t forget Brazil Nuts! Homeopathists recommend them for “male problems” a colleague confided in me. He went on to father twins!

15. Carlito, I was told to eat plenty of strawberries to aid/ promote, a-hem, “sustainability” although I fear we are wandering from the main point here.

16. Carlito11 says:

I’ve got that Friday feeling already- sorry for being flippant Peaches! It is an interesting take on the diet question and I think anyone would go for a bit more red meat in their diet.
    Flavour in food comes from 2 places- fat or sugar. “low fat” yogurt is brimful of sugar, and I would guess that Nando’s sauces probably are too. Let the players have a bit more fat in their diets- they can certainly run it off and it may add a mean streak too!

17. Carlito11 says:

Chary- 😀 Are you coming to the ground on Sunday? Probably a subject best dealt with awkwardly over a couple of pints 😉

18. Yeah, true Carlito, it’s best to relate the results of various remedies and natural enhancements in person and while pissed.

Sadly I’m not going on Sunday, but I’m planning to be there for the Villa game.

19. Carlito11 says:

Peaches- I have tweeted Robert Fagg- the Arsenal Chef- for his take on your article. Could be interesting if he can tell us more about what he prepares and his take on red meat, zinc-rich foods etc…

20. Carlito11 says:

Stat lovers- check this site- gives you loads of opta stats on each match. Peaches, you’ll love it! http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/England-Premier-League
    Back later

I’m just back for a quick comment. Do any of you remember that it looked like we had a new Denilson at the start of the season? I commented a couple of times that he looked stronger in the tackle and more aggressive in his play. Is it possible that in the weeks away from Arsenal over the summer that his mum fed him up with some good wholesome food and that fuelled his testosterone levels? Within weeks of being back with the club he had returned to the ‘previous Denilson’.

If I was club manager and we were exhibiting a lack of fight, I’d be interested to know the testosterone levels of the players. The likes of Rooney, Cesc and Wilshere are obviously genetically disposed to high levels whereas other players may need a boost and perhaps diet could be one way.

Also, we get hold of some of these players at 15/16 just at a time when their bodies are developing, what if a lean diet in those years could produce a less powerful adult? Just a thought…….

22. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting Rasp should we not remember that Arsene also involved heavily at Clarefontaine would have fed the likes of PV4 and TH14 in formetary years.

One thing I remember Bentley saying when he went to Blackburn was it was the first tine he had used weights in training. But he was also kern to spout any rubbish about why he didn’t progress at Arsenal so maybe should be taken with a pinch of salt.

You may have hit the nail on the head, peaches.
    It’ll be interesting to see what the Arsenal chef has to say on the subject. I always thought Arsene seemed a bit lacking in testosterone until his taste in French music came to light.

By the way, I’ve heard that pumpkin seeds are good for prostate problems.

Oh yeah and I’ll be wearing gloves next time we meet up at the Tavern. 🙂

Where is Bentley now? I bet even his mum doesn’t care.

Has everyone seen the alleged new away kit?
    Jockeys in the N5 area are said to be very happy.

Has everyone seen the alleged new away kit?
    Jockeys in the N5 are are said to be well pleased.

wordpress is behaving strangely

Hi chas,

Sorry you were spammed – wordpress didn’t like the links for some reason?

Apologies for that mess. Is it the link that requires vetting or have I hit upon a banned word?

Thanks Rasp.

31. London says:

Hi Chas

It wasn’t a banned word that WordPress didn’t like it was that new Arsenal kit lol

32. London says:

Big steaks all round then, interesting post Peaches.

Apologies for more posting of random pics. Thought chary would like this. 🙂

Haha, London.

34. Old bacon face after a make over Chas, LOL.

35. So, Wenger’s confirmed Song and Johan in the squad for Sunday and Chesney likely to be also; I feel much better about taking on the ‘dippers on with those guys back.

Hi chary, I hope Song is on Song, because his last couple of performances have been below par by his standards.

37. Carlito11 says:

London- I reckon you are right and it’s the kit that is objectionable! Copying Wycombe’s kit just makes my heart sink…If we are going to copy other teams’ kits for our away strip- how about copying a great team like the “almost Barca” kit from 3 seasons ago? Note to Nike: Our away kit should be predominantly YELLOW- looks best with blue shorts but this season’s was no disaster…

38. Carlito11 says:

I love the fact that Arshavin says we’ll all look like jockeys in that kit! Is he talking about himself in the second person?

39. Yeah Raspers, although to be honest I don’t think Song’s presence is as vital on Sunday as it may be against, say, Stoke.
    I don’t think the ‘dippers are a physical side so our midget midfield should be able to deal with them if they show sufficient drive.
    So a midfield 3 of Jack, Cesc and Nasri with Robin, Arshavin and Theo up top. (The back 5 will probably be Eboue, Chesney, Johan, Kozzer and Clichy), what d’ya reckon Raspers ?

Yes, I’d be happy with that chary. I keep seeing signs that Theo is stepping up a level and then some clogger kicks him and he has a setback, but I do think he is a match winner and improving all the time.

41. Obviously we’d prefer Sagna in there but he is “a doubt” so we’ll have to see. My only concerns were about that age old quandary of whether it was better to try a 4-4-2 if we can’t breakdown the ‘dippers – say Bendy up top with Robin and a (diddy man)midfield 4 of Arsh, Jack, Cesc and Nasri.

42. London says:

Ahhh, there are signs that I might be able to make myself understood.

If the midfield is made up of three players and one of them is Song then I say that he is all the defensive midfield we should need therefore the other two should be attacking and potentially goal scoring midfielders such as Nasri and Cesc; I would also include Arshavin in this because, in my opinion, he has lost his spark due to having been forced to play out on the wing for too long but that is another story.
    Where was I, ah yes, the midfield, the problem is that a midfield of Wilshere, Nasri and Cesc is not defensive enough there is no way that Wilshere can shield the defence on his own. So then we have to introduce the idea of Song, Wilshere and Cesc which weakens us in the goal scoring department. Sunderland, West Brom, Blackburn, all the same problem, lack of goals.
    The last time our midfield looked a formidable unit was when Ramsey was scoring goals; back then, we had Song, Cesc and the Welshman.
    What am I trying to say: Wilshere has become more important to the club than Wenger; he has to play every week whether he is suited or not and most of the time, in my opinion, he is not. Wilshere is not strong enough to shield the defence on his own and he is not a goal scorer.
    So, can we put him on the bench along with the all important youth development system and win the league for a change?

43. London, if we had an on form song then yes, he would be sufficient defensive cover on his own but as he is been a bit poor lately I’m a little concerned he could fail to keep up with the dippers, who won’t park the bus and will attack.

Jack shouldn’t have to do all the defensive work yet I feel he does have sufficient vision to not just limit himself to shielding the back 4, he does have some play-making capabilities.

London, I get the feeling you are not a fan of Jack, fair enough, but I think he’s on the way to being world class, but it is annoying how he needs to be played so much.

He’s just a boy and needs a breather.

44. London says:

Hi Chary

I agree with much of what you say, I certainly share your concerns over Song’s fitness but if he plays we should assume that he is fit and as I said when playing he should be all the defensive shield we need.
    As for Wilshere I am a huge fan but I hate the way certain players seem to have to be played when an obvious alternative would be so much better.
    Wenger did exactly the same thing with Walcott the season Eduardo broke his leg. People will remember the goals he scored against Birmingham, Liverpool etc but for most of the time it was like playing with 10 men as he was simply out of his depth.
    The result of Wenger having to play Walcott cost us the league in my opinion and I fear the same thing could happen this season; our lack of goals is partly down to Wenger having to play Wilshere rather than the more obvious Song, Cesc, Nasri combo.
    There have been times when Song has been injured and we had a situation in which Wilshere has had to play (as usual) but as he cannot shield the defence on his own Wenger has had to introduce Denilson to help him but this doesn’t help because we then have two non goal scoring defensive midfielders. In these situations we might as well play with Denilson, Cesc and Nasri one defensive MF and two goal scoring midfielders but people would sell there mothers before admitting that sometimes Denilson is more useful than Wilshere.
    One last comment on this subject: if anyone cares to reply to this please don’t tell me that Jack is the future, I am not stupid I already know that, it is this season I want us to win the league.

45. Plenty to ponder there, London.

Assuming we stick to a 4-3-3 would a middle 3 of Cesc-Song-Jack with a front 3 of Nasri-Arsh-Robin have the correct balance of defensive and offensive qualities?

I have to admit my memory of Theo’s overuse in 2008-09 is a little cloudy but was it not forced on Wenger a bit by a typical Robin injury break?

You’re right to point out our goal threat needs to be bolstered and defence is not really our strength as we can rarely hold out for 1 nil wins anymore(the home game against Pullis’ plonkers is the only one that springs to mind), to put it mildly.

Putting it more forcefully, it seems a 3 goal cushion(Toon aside, that was a freak assisted by a Dowd horror show) is the only way to guarantee a nerve free victory.

46. London says:

Chary

I must admit that your team looks good but I think that Diaby in place of Wilshere would make it even better.
    Wilshere has some defensive skills but very few attacking skills.
    Diaby has some defensive skills but by contrast he does have some attacking skills; in short, Diaby is more likely to score than Wilshere and that fact alone gives him the edge for me.

Hi guys, just jumping in here. I don’t know what Song’s instructions as to the formation are, but he has consistently played in front of Jack so the idea of him being the defensive midfield is shot out of the water. I watched hm closely at the last game in relation to Jack and he seemed a bit lost.

Maybe AW believes that in the same way as Theo needs to learn his trade out wide, maybe he thinks LJ needs to start as a DM before moving forward. In both cases, this would seem to stifle the player’s natural instincts.

48. London, while it’s true Diaby has more goal threat than Jack I have to say that he is far too inconsistent to be trusted to perform on a regular basis.

I have to come clean and admit that when it comes to Diaby I get irrationally annoyed and want him out of the squad.

The dopey look on his face when he headed the own goal that put the mancs ahead at Old Cow Paddock last season sealed his fate in my eyes.

There’s no doubting he has ability and potential, it’s just he lacks discipline and focus.

49. Gooner in Exile says:

I’ll add tuppence here ….. Song is not disciplined enough to play DM midfield on his own. He cannot resist a forward run at which point you are relying on Cesc or Samir to fill in if that is our central three. Which in my opinion is not going to happen.

Therefore you have to play two deep, which if Cesc was willing surely would be the best position for him.

It all comes down to the system of play Jack is our best player in the role of linking up, between defence and attacking midfield.

I think Rasp may be right about learning his trade because everything I saw of Wilshere before this season was an attacking exciting player. But credit him that he has not looked out of place playing deeper.

Our (in my opinion) strongest midfield to start against Pool are:

Wilshere Song

Nasri. Cesc. Arshavin

Bringing Theo on as sun with pace to burn late on.

If Cesc/Nasri/Arsh switch and manoeuvre themselves around the pitch they should have more than enough quality with RvP as a fulcrum to trouble any back 4 whilst Jack and Song should be capable of picking up loose balls and keeping Liverpool penned in.

But this requires Song to be disciplined and our fullbacks not to over commit leaving easy out wide balls.

50. Gooner in Exile says:

That’s a typically inept headline from a garbage paper.

The story doesn’t say that at all. It says what we all know, the way the club has run hasn’t changed and that Arsene isn’t expecting Kroenke to spend £80million on a player, or to invest cash for him to spend.

51. Hi all

Sorry to leave you to ponder my post without me but I’ve had masses to do today. Although written slightly tongue in cheek I have to admit to being quite obsessed by what’s eating our players and why there seems to be such a lack of fight sometimes.

One of the things I had to do this morning was visit my solicitor who unfortunately is a mank. When I told him about my post he shook his head and said sagely “The problem lies with your manager” and there I was defending AW to my solictor who was charging me for the pleasure!!!!!

Interesting discussion between London and chary ….

52. I agree with Rasp that Song has played in front of Jack more than behind him and can only assume that that is a tactic but I agree with London that we shouldn’t need two players to protect the back four …………. that’s a waste of a man.

Ooooooh even though we love Song maybe we need a new DM 🙄

53. While I’m on my own I’ll just leave a little nudge to say we don’t have a post for tomorrow 😦

54. Evonne says:

Peaches – sorry to hear you are obsessed with the healthy foods issues 🙂
    Your article has brought something else to memory – several years ago, about 10 I think, Arsenal could not get out of the group stages in CL. And then there was a theory that our players’ eyes were unaccustmed to the lights at some European stadium. It was investigated, some changes were made to the lighting at Highbury and bingo, the problem was gone.
    Sometimes it is as simple as as that! A good dinner or a certain type of penicylin 🙂

Evening all.

Unusual post peaches and i was always told that a healthy mixed and varied diet was good for you.

men only: cashew nuts are good for the prostate.

I have some more news from my source. 🙂

56. Gooner in Exile says:

More often than not our midfield is not protecting a back four it’s normally protecting a back two as our full backs are committed forward

metamusil 😉

58. You must be on a retainer the amount of times you plug the metamusil 😉

59. Well said GiE @5.13, I’d just typed that when the phone rang 😀

Is it necessary for both full backs to be involved in an attack, can’t they take it in turns and one of them fill in so that we have at least three at the back.

60. Hi Evonne – of course the penicylin 🙂 How are you, do you have 2 dogs this afternoon?

61. kelsey – are you going to share your news with us?

Come on kelsey – spill the beans!

63. SharkeySure says:

Cracking idea Peaches, I’ve sent jerk chicken, some yam and banana, and fried dumplings. If its good enough for Usain Bolt and the Jamaican Olympic team its good enough for our boys.

For those who have yet to send their food parcels, add ‘Bell Lane’ to your address, and the postcode is AL2 1DR.

64. London says:

I thought it was so obvious that Song often plays ahead of Wilshere I didn’t bother making the point. This, to me, just proves that one of the more defensive minded midfielders (of which Song and Wilshere both are) is being wasted.

You can argue that Song and Wilshere complement each other and if we were top of the league you would be right but we are not, our problem is that we are not scoring enough goals…Sunderland, West Brom, Blackburn.

And so I am trying to say that one of our midfield positions is being wasted with a defensive minded player rather than utilising a more important goal scoring midfielder.

Song play the Fabregas role…..now you’ve lost me. 🙂

66. Harry says:

Peaches: Great post but I am still recovering from the fact you did a post, the raven haired warrior princess failed to snare someone?

Interesting take on steaks, more red meat all round for the fans as well me thinks……

Sunday we need the stadium to rock like never before, we have a slim chance but it can be done, lets hope the fans dont let the team down……….

It’ll be great to have Chez back in goal, gives me much more confidence…..

My Team for Sunday:

Chez

Eboue Squillaci Koz Clichy

Diaby Wilshere

Nasri Fabregas Arshavin

Van Persie

Subs:
    Walcott, Bendtner, Chamster, Gibbs, Djourou, Song and Jens………

3-1…

Robin’s video on twitter showing him limbering up for Sunday

68. Evonne says:

Kelsey!!!!!!! Tell….

69. Evonne says:

Hiya Peaches – told R about your article and we both agreed you should write a book. About Arsenal?

Yes, 2 dogs, your grandson chewed a brand new, never worn shoe. Do you think he lacks something in his diet?

70. London says:

Harry

Is Sagna definitely out for Sunday’s game?

Evening all.
    Missed all the fun
    Peaches, love it, and I think you are onto something. Every season I think Denilson will do a Flamini, and every season he gets thinner and weaker.
    On the DM issue. I don’t believe we have one. Frimpong maybe. Song is not, and although Denilson could be, I don’t think he ever will be in the English League.

London,

Your @ 7:21 …. ‘Song is not nimble or skilful enough to play the Fabregas role and Wilshere is not strong enough to be the defensive shield for ninety minutes.’….

….so why are they being asked to play in those positions when many would agree with your comment – they should swap!

I agree with London on the goal shortage. Certainly we lack the killer goal. For me Diaby should start sunday, and attack attack attack it must be. I don’t fancy Kos and Squil up against Carroll one bit. Might JD make it? Certainly Jens/Chesney will help in the air at the back.

Rasp Hi,
    I don’t know whether Song lacks the discilpline to stay put, or if Arsene encourages the elastic little triangles that too often leave the wrong guy deep when the attack breaks down.

75. London says:

Rasp

Song and Wilshere do exactly as you say…..they swap, they alternate.

But one of them is superfluous and Song can act as a defensive shield for ninety minutes where as Wilshere on his own cannot.

This is not a view I expect to win, I am after all arguing against Wenger; he will continue playing Wilshere no matter what but I fear if we do not find a way of scoring more goals we will not win the league.

Its a mystery to me micky. IMO Song has not been as effective in the team this season as last and I put that down to the advanced role he often finds himself in. Sure he’s scored a few goals, but he has also looked lost at times and given the ball away more than when he played deeper. It is one of the questions I would love to ask Arsene. I’m sure he’d have a good answer but to me it seems like madness. I just hope the answer wouldn’t be that Alex wanted to play higher up the pitch.

London,
    I happen to agree, but the problem remains that Song rarely stays put, and is not a great DM, so I reckon AW settles for the trio that interchanges and sticks with JW as well as Song because they both have “some” defensive qualities.

78. barumgooner says:

Hello all. I think it’s fair to say that AW doesn’t want a holding midfielder but an attacking midfield who take turns coming back. In itself not a bad idea but sadly it fails because as a unit we dont seem to cover each other, at times we all go charging forward looking for glory and when it breaks down nobody has been left behind to help out and win back the ball so immediately the defence is under pressure. I do think that Jack is not the powerhouse to do the holding role for 90mins but is clever enough to share the role with Song and sit when he goes forward…maybe ?

79. barumgooner says:

I would also say that the lack of goals imo isn’t so much affected by the midfield but by the attack. A lone striker will only work with quality wide men, the little Russian continues to disappoint and if Walcott doesn’t play we really are flat and easy to defend against. Over the years we have been truly blessed with attacking players on the left side but at the moment we haven’t got one. Sell AA and pay whatever it takes to get Young and we will be complete. But maybe thats just me ?

80. Gooner in Exile says:

Ashley Young could be the answer Barum is he a bit big time charlie for Arsene

Barum,
    AA is great when he is really up for it, but wide left no. Maybe one day someone will buy him and stick him just behind a big fast, strong striker and we will see the real AA. My head says he does not have the right attitude to expoit his obvious talent. I will never forget after Cesc came on second half (Villa?) scored one, made one and then went off again, that AA said “that” was how he would like to play!

AA is top when everything is just right for him. Games are simply too long long for his liking!
    My problem is that I just love the little fella.

83. Evonne says:

Micky – yes, that could be a problem as the little fella is married with children

Cripes, if I drink much more of this Night Nurse I will do a Gnarley!

85. Evonne says:

Peaches – you really got me going now! You could write a book called ‘The Barren Years’ and publish it when we start winning doubles again. Keep saving the one liners from Red Arse, pictures from Chas and all the wisdom from others – then just put it in a cover, bingo! We would all buy a copy

Nite Evonne,
    One more sip and out. Must get fit for sunday. Big game!

87. barumgooner says:

Maybe GIE. Those types dont really fit with us do they. I didnt realise he was like that though. Dont get me wrong I do like AA but would really love another freddie or Bobby….or overmars or limpar or…sorry dreaming again

88. barumgooner says:

or Brian Marwood. Couldn’t remember his name just now.

89. Hi all

Harry – you cheeky thing, thats one beer deducted 😉 Did you not think the subject was worthy of a post? What if Zinc is the answer???? You guys just don’t take me seriously do you ….. 🙄

London – I definitely think you’re right, I think playing Song and Jack is a farce just like playing Song and Denilson – what’s the point?

The thing is, all the criticisms of Arsenes tactics and players not pulling their weight might be academic if they had steak a couple of times a week!!!!!

90. Barum – we’re all guilty of hankering after players from the past but the fact is we have a first eleven of really skillful players what we don’t have are eleven players with ‘edge’ actually we probably only need 4 or 5 nutters but we don’t even have that 😦

haha, Stephen Fry has just said on QI that gladiators have been found to be strict vegans from evidence taken from their bones and teeth showing a very low zinc content.

92. Oh no, thats blown that theory out the water, do you think he read my post?

93. Obviously they had access to cottage cheese 😀

94. barumgooner says:

Like it Peaches. Buy some nutters. Seriously though we need one true leader on the pitch and a couple in the coaching staff who can instill the belief and attitude missing at the moment.

95. Ah but, gladiators were slaves, they chose gladiatorial combat as a way to avoid poverty – they were fed by their masters and so it doesn’t really blow the theory out of the water as they had little choice in their food consumption.

96. Harry says:

LOl, Peaches……I’ll have some zinc tonight and get my wifes opinion in the morning !!!

Think he must have read your post, peaches. 🙂

He also said that they ate ash ( I think he said ash) as it was thought to help build muscle.

98. Maybe thats the problem, Arsene is feeding our boys the wrong sort of ash 🙄

Harry 🙂

Morning all.

Sorry I didn’t get back last night.

I understand that there is still a major uncertainty that Cesc will still be with us next season.A delegation(whatever that means) had a meeting in Barcelona on Thursday and Friday, specifically to see if a fee could be arranged,but Arsenal want the money up front.
    Now if this is correct and Cesc stays, as I think Barca can’t at this time raise the funds,we have a captain who inwardly may not be committed to the Arsenal.

Time wil tell, but this will not go away.

Good morning Kelsy,
    Oh here we go again! TH and PV summers all over again with our Cesc.

Kelsey,
    Do you happen to know whether there was any mileage in the Cesc and Real Madrid noises last week?

Hi mickey,

No I don’t but I would think that very unlikely.

One thought occurred to me is that Barca are currently the best club team in the world and can that be maintained, together with having cash flow problems, and Cesc may have missed the boat, so to speak.

Kelsey,
    Given their (Barca) cash flow problems, would they want to lash out an enormous fee for Cesc? Do they need him, and if they don’t, where does that leave him?

To answer my own question, I suspect Arsenal should definately ship out any player whose heart is not with us, which only leaves the installment option.

Installment/cash/player deal.

Paper run. Back in a bit.

107. Evonne says:

Morning all – Peaches and Chas – don’t listen to anything Stephen bloody Fry says, the man is seriously deluded

Cesc’s interview in yesterday’s metro – he’s staying put, end of.

M1 still shut, if the flyover is damaged, the Scousers will not make it tomorrow 🙂

There’s a New Post