Have we ANY chance of winning at Bloomfield Rd?

This will be a positive post, so those of a cup half empty disposition, look away.

Firstly, we are on a long unbeaten run in the PL extending to almost four months. During that time we have conceded just 10 goals. Taking out the madness at St. James, we have conceded 6 in 12 PL games – hardly the stats of a dodgy defence.

Secondly, we have the best away record in the PL, amassing 26 points and losing only twice (MU & Chelsea).

Thirdly, this season we have beaten the PL Champions, the Champions of Spain (who are supposedly the best team of all time), and beaten a CL quarter finalist 5-1 (Shaktar).

We have done this despite a constantly full medical centre and without the services of our strongest CB. Which other team has suffered as we have? Down to our 3rd choice GK, 3rd choice DM, 4th choice CB.

Furthermore, we have a young player who had he continued his early season form would be a shoe-in for PL player of the Year, and we have an almost guaranteed winner of the Young Player of the Year.

Has all this good work been totally destroyed by the past few weeks very average performances? Some would say so, however at season’s start, had anyone offered me the position we are in early April, I would have taken it immediately. What is overlooked is that most Arsenal “fans” were predicting us failing to achieve Top 4 and that Spurs would be top North London club under the “genius of Harry.” In fact, most predicted a 6th place behind Liverpool. Sure the last month has been painful and in retrospect the B’ham CC game was a precursor for a difficult spell, but a true assessment of the season can only be made on May 23rd.

Onto today’s fixture. Everyone likes Blackpool (well, at least the football club!). The manager, the style of football, Charlie Adam, the David & Goliath theme etc etc. Well just for today, I say “Sod them”, we need the 3 points. Let them get the points they need to avoid relegation elsewhere because we are desperate for a confidence boosting win. A flukey 1-0 will do it, as long as it is accompanied by our usual 60+% possession.

Our injuries are as usual a major factor. This would be a good game for Theo to regain form and he awaits a fitness test. Song, Diaby, and Denilson are definitely out and there is a question mark over Sagna. Could Eboue get his final start in an Arsenal shirt (I hope it is final 🙂 )?

Could we repeat our home demolition of Blackpool? I doubt it, Blackpool lost a player early at the Grove and we were in a fine run of form. We can expect B’pool to fight all the way and with the return of their top scorer DJ Campbell will not be easy opposition, we will have to go toe to toe with them and hope Cesc and Nasri can create the chances to win all 3 points.

My team:

I really hope that should we not be winning at half-time, AW makes an early substitution. It worked at WBA, yet he didn’t repeat it with Blackburn which left us with only 10 minutes of all out attack. Chamakh and Bendtner should be on early if we are struggling.

Blackpool is best known as a holiday destination. I have been a few times (conferences!) and left shell-shocked. What is less known is that it is the birthplace of my fave bands at different times in my life. Starting with Graham Nash OBE of The Hollies and later the brilliant C,S & N, onto Maddy Prior of Steelye Span and Roy Harper, followed by Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, then Robert Smith and The Cure, Chris Lowe of Pet Shop Boys and more recently Nick McCarthy of Franz Ferdinand. Not too Metally, but for a small town, Blackpool has a fine musical heritage.

I made the fundamental mistake of predicting a win last weekend, I promise never to do so again.

COYRRG

Written by BigRaddy

164 Responses to Have we ANY chance of winning at Bloomfield Rd?

Lovely day to be in Blackpool I should think, I reckon our away supporters will be really looking forward to this one.

I too would like Blackpool to stay up, they have looked like they really enjoy their football and Ian Holloway gets them to play rather then hide behind a big bus.

We need to get back to winning ways, this slump is going on much too long. Come on Arsenal.

Morning,

Top post Raddy. I’m sick of going over our perceived failings with 20/20 hindsight, we must look forward. A victory is all we need and in some ways I’d be happier with a scrappy battle and winning ugly rather than a silky demolition. Either way, 3 points and a strong performance is required.

3. Evonne says:

Raddy – I am glad I waited for your post – brill! Thanks!
    Yeah, I like Blackpool and Ian Holloway too, but ‘sod them’ is right, we must win. BUT they must win too, so it could be another tough game.

Off I go, bees are waiting

4. SUGA3 says:

good, rousing post BR, since I am all-optimistic today, hope you don’t mind me reading? 😉

to be honest, today’s performance and result will tell us a lot more than just about our ability to play football…

mental strength, ‘bouncebackability’ and AW’s ability to motivate and all that is the question, no?

As usual well researched Raddy.
    It seems a lifetime ago that Theo scored a hattrick in the Home game.

Blackpool can only play one way and that should suit us, and I feel confident about today.i hate to say it but results didn’t go our way yesterday and there will be extra pressure on our Pet Shop boys, and our chairman’s comments should have been erased.

i have an ill wife today, an ill son and a mental daughter so exuse me for the rest of the day.

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening all

The game is live @ 10.30pm here so I’ll watch it. I’m deep into my footy so I haven’t been bothered with the footie. But I’m still some what in touch that I know a win tonight will keep PL dream alive.

Win both games in hand; beat man utd @ home & chavs do’em @ Old Cow Paddock, its advantage Arsenal.

That means the Arsenal phone nymber could be

One nothing, one nothing, one nothing, one nothing, one nothing, one one 🙂

7. SUGA3 says:

hi gnarley, long time no see 😉

BR,
    Thanks. I really look forward to your pre-matchers. They never disappoint.
    A slightly over sunned Micky would like to ask Peaches if “thinking out loud to myself” is the same as talking to yourself?

9. Danish Gooner says:

We are in free fall and so are they so it could be very interesting but do remember if there is one team that can go from winning 5 or 6 against and opponent and then lose the reverse it is Arsenal(Brage,Shakhtar).

Danish,
    Samaritains 0800 505050

Yip, and I’ll do it again 🙂

Nasri out right. I do hate that. Any chance of a remarkable Theo recovery?
    I would start:
    …..RvP Cham
    ..AA Cesc Nasri
    …….JW
    …..Back 5

Getting the sun/beer in before the hateful 1:30 sunday ko.
    Sensible. Till later.

Hi Micky,

I can’t see Nasri playing wide right, its more likely he’ll put Bendtner out there. We must field an attacking side (do we have any other type?), anything less than 3 points today and our chance has gone.

Oh Evonne,
    You keep Bees?
    Just read two books on the extraordinary little fellas. Am thinking of finding/buying a swarm. Worried about the disease/disappearing syndrome.

Hi Rasp,
    I was looking at BR’s personnel, and with them AW would plonk him out right. His least effective position.

Rasp,
    How about my 11:28. Now that’s attacking.

Too much Pink Panther around. Will go outside. Bye.

19. Fletch says:

‘Taking out the madness at St. James,…’ lol. Unfortunately this is the real world! Tinting crap

Thanks for that enlightening comment Fletch, good luck on a site that wants to hear that kind of thing.

21. trueg00ner says:

Nice pòst, been reading for a while great blog!!

22. Gooner in Exile says:

Thanks Raddy for a great pre match as Lee usual

Looking forward to the game should be good footballing game.

I read that Olly has been showing his players videos of their promotion run in where they won 9 of 11, hopefully they remember today is one of the two they didn’t win 🙂

23. harry says:

great rousing post rads, lets get at em…..
    At pub with friends all man united!!!

Who saw news of world 40million for jack from city, lol, 40 wouldnt buy his boots……

Come on gooners………

24. goonermichael says:

I posted a comment but it won’t show up

25. Ooooooh we’ve got Jens starting as Almunia picked up a knee injury

26. micky – talking to myself, thinking to myself – yep you’re right same thing 🙂

27. Jens

Eboue Squidge Kos Clichy

Diaby Cesc Jack

Nasr Robin Arsh

28. Brigham says:

I have always had a strong feeling for Blackpool and always wanted them to do well and that is because my late Father was from the town and a fan of the club. He met my Mother, a north London girl and the rest is history as they say.

The other reason I have for liking the Tangerines is that the ship I served on during the Falklands War (HMS Penelope)was affiliated to the town and I also once had a pen friend there (although she became more than a pen friend for a short while!)

But today, my allegience is purely with Arsenal and I want us to demolish them good and proper (sorry Dad), but I hope Blackpool stay up at the end of the season.

COYRRG

Here we go.
    Can’t believe no-one thinks my formation is anything other than brilliant! Who needs a DM, lets skip and dance our way through to a resounding victory.
    COYRRG

1 nil, Diaby

31. Gooner in Exile says:

Well done to Eboue and Diaby two great goals playing clever football today.

Weathered the predictable high tempo start from Blackpool and a couple of moments of brilliance.

Hope that helps Abou kick on.

Great stuff, 2 nil, now let’s show the killer instinct, keep a clean sheet and bang in as many as we can, goal difference could well be important.

33. Gooner in Exile says:

Is it me or are we playing a much deeper line today?

34. Gooner in Exile says:

Note to Lee Mason when a player drops his shoulder into the opponents back that’s a foul!

Jack seems tired today, knock on head probably didn’t help but he’s been a little slack today compared to the standards his set himself this year.

A 100% efforting Diaby is a beautiful thing.

Terrific stuff. We could easily be 6 up at half time but for Very shabby finising and bad luck.

Have to say Blackpool are not palying well.

My two least favourite players score the goals and both are playing very well (apart from a silly booking for Diaby). Well done those men!

37. Evonne says:

Mickey – you and the Samaritans! Is this a real number?
    I don’t have bees yet, just the hives. I am an apprentice to a very experienced bee keeper, who is going to sell me some bees when I am ready.
    Don’t buy a swarm, you don’t know anything about the bees, plus they probably already have swarming tendencies.
    Get my email from Peaches and we’ll chat about it, otherwise Chas is going to go mad with me, hi Chas

38. Red Arse says:

Hi Guys, 🙂

Just popped in and am so pleased the poisonous presence is not on and my good friends are!!

Enjoying the game, and lil ol’ Ebouebum scored a cracker! 🙂

The defence still worries me but with another GK change, right back change and the Squidger I suppose that can’t be helped.

Should be 4:0 but I am not greedy. 🙂

39. Red Arse says:

Evonne, 🙂

You poor thing, hives can be very painful, so I am told! 🙂

When living in London, I was a Samaritan for 8 years. Not sure I could have helped Danish Gooner 😀

RA. Very subtle…

42. Gooner in Exile says:

People who have been asking for rollockings got their wish with RvP on Abou’s case for the kick away.

Mason really is a very very poor ref. Not for the booking but his standard of decisions and lack of clear signal. Linesmen have been spot on.

Anyone else think Smudger is laying on the weak defence a bit thick. Seems almost like he is a certain Sky news man showing clear support for broadcaster philosophy.

Hi RA,
    Diaby’s goal was a thing of great beauty. Wins the ball. Glides past another, delicate pass, makes 50 yds to finish off. Mind you, he is the loosest of loose cannons.

Evonne,
    Thanks. We will chat.

45. Red Arse says:

BR,

At least with Danish Gooner he comes on just says his woeful ‘Ides of March’ piece and buggers off. 🙂

I wish the other prat would do the same.

(Who could I mean) Ooer, Rasp/Peaches does that constitute abuse? 🙂

Hi Evonne, I could never get mad with you. 🙂

Oh Evonne,
    The number? No made up. Its probably a specialist chat line for all I know, but I’m sure Danish gets my drift. Poor lad.

48. Red Arse says:

Micky,

As you might have noticed Diablo Diaby is one of my favourites. Magical but lacking consistency so far this season. 🙂

BR not so subtle, I fear! 🙂

49. SUGA3 says:

RA,

you would like that, wouldn’t you?

good game, but why does Diaby give Mason an excuse?

50. Gooner in Exile says:

Oh well maybe Smudge was right… 😦

51. Gooner in Exile says:

See how the support of 20000 vocal fans can improve a performance!

52. SUGA3 says:

are you sure that motivation of fighting for the purpose of top flight survival has nothing to do with that?

53. Gooner in Exile says:

4th chance needed again for RvP.

Great move.

54. Gooner in Exile says:

Sorry Suga you’re right, anything to defend the silent majority at the Emirates

55. SUGA3 says:

GIE,

whenever I went to the game, I noticed one thing: it is really difficult to get the crowd going due to poor acoustics…

I reckon introducing singing sections all over the place would improve the atmosphere no end, all you need to do is add one more question to the ST or normal ticket booking form, no?

the question is: does the club want this to happen?

56. Gooner in Exile says:

Like the Barca game you mean…..or perhaps Everton home or even as demonstrated by Leeds fans. Nothing wrong with acoustics in fact ground is amazing when it’s noisy.

Problem has always been dispersal, which Is why I believe they should make North Bank and Clock End lower tiers free for alls rather than set seating. Fans would have to get in ground early like we used to on terraces to get a good spot and start making some noise.

Wouldn’t complain if they turned the bloody PA down too.

57. SUGA3 says:

GIE,

there are games when you don’t need encouragement, but there are some that are a bit more ‘low profile’ where the likes of you or me don’t need a nudge, but there are some that do 😉

the PA could actually be used to transmit singing from the Red Section all ober the place, making chanting easier to synchronise, but I am not sure if it is legal…

58. SUGA3 says:

Result!

let’s rejoice 😀

59. Gooner in Exile says:

No way Suga piped singing would make a mockery of the fans.

Anyway 3 points on the board 3 goals job done.

GiE,
    Its one in four on target. My calcs say that was the third!
    Great three points. Good luck to Blackpool. I hope they stay up. Children time.
    Back later.
    Oh, and we will win all our games. Oh yes.

61. Great result, bit squeaky for a while but hey ho ……

Any volunteers GiE for a match report?

62. SUGA3 says:

I guess that’s right, so singing sections it is…

it’s pretty easy to figure out how to do it to make it work…

63. I agree, singing sections all over the ground must be the way forward but I also really like GiE’s idea of lower tier north bank and clock end being standing, that would really create some noise.

64. SUGA3 says:

peaches,

I guess we could all chip in and post similar, or even the same article on the blogs on the same day?

and I mean ALL the blogs and get the AST interested whilst they are still friendly with Petey? 😆

Mmmm. Very interesting performance.

No English commentary thankfully.

Observations: We are a totally different side with a fit Cesc. He ran the game.

JW is getting to be Flamini with flair. Great game, never stopped running and always available for a pass.

For the rest …. 5/10.

The defence was being tornm part through the middle and that should never happen. Clichy was back to his Dozy period, Eboue played OK. The real problem was in the centre and Diaby must take some responsibilty for this. The CB’s were too far apart, so Diaby has to fill in – he didn’t, though as an attacker, he had a decent game.

We stepped up Theo came on, he really is a super player to have on the bench.

Nasri was hit & miss today. Should have had a hatrick as should RvP.

66. Red Arse says:

Pretty fair summary, Raddy.

We were like the parson’s nose; good in parts but there is still that worrying brittleness.

Every team we play seems to regroup at half time, and come out with that ‘get in their faces’ attitude, which means pushing, shoving and hacking. The referees never seem to give proper protection, and the tactic becomes v. effective.

GIE was saying the away support was good and I agree. What I particularly liked was the chant, sung with gusto, ‘Mad Jens is effing mental’! I may have misheard the ‘effing’. 🙂

67. SUGA3 says:

is it me or was Mason once again his inept self today?

not that I am complaining about Koscielny getting away with two penos, mind you 😉

I am not going to critise the defence, as we are used to it by now, but kos plays every game near to the mark.looking at the remaining fixtures I doubt we will play another team such as blackpool who only know how to attack, and their high line was their downfall time and time again.

Funny old game…Who would have thought lehmann would start and eboue and diaby would be amongst the goal scoresrs.

A vital 3 points but I have to say Arshavin was never in the game and is woefully out of form, and was right to be subbed.

Cesc… one of his best games since he came back from injury and he is still the greatest at sliciing a defence open with his vision.

5/10 for the others is a bit harsh. The game could have ended 3-6, but we have a week’s rest and role on liverpool.

69. Hi kelsey – I agree that Kos always seems to be very close to doing something seriously bad but he works so hard.

I was giving Diaby a tongue lashing for losing the ball seconds before he scored 🙂

Agree that Arshavin was pretty anonymous but he has to play against Liverpool. Theo had a look of real meanness on his face today – I reckon he was pretty focussed when he came on.

On today’s form, I would not start Arshavin for L’pool. Theo looks hungry and Nasri is better on the left.

If I were AW I would be a worried man and desperate for the return of Djourou. Squillaci seems to be out of his depth and the thought of Suarez and Carroll v Squil/Kos is frightening.

Peaches,
    Only here for a moment, but why does AA have to play against Pool. Nasri left, Theo right, makes good sense to me.

72. SUGA3 says:

Sky News reporting Stan Kroenke is in “advanced talks” to assume full control of Arsenal…

we should thank God Almighty for Usmanov, as with the share he has it is impossible for Kroenke to leverage the club with debt Glazer style!

73. Red Arse says:

Suga3,

Was that on the Sky TV? There’s nothing on their website.

74. goonermichael says:

SUGA
    Usmanov can go fuck himself. Leverage buyouts have been banned so that can’t happen and Kroenke has never done one anyway.

How was the game I’ve just got in?

GM,
    Agree with you on Usmanov.

GM. Entertaining. We hammered them first half, came under pressure in the 2nd during which Kos could have given away 2 pens, then a brilliant breakaway goal with some superb skill from both Diaby and Fab.

I enjoyed it, and we won because I am wearing my new Arsenal shirt

77. SharkeySure says:

Afternoon all,
    just finshed watching it on delay.

Wot a scary scary period we had in that game at 2-1.

Still 3pts is 3pts, and I thought Diaby put in a very decent shift today. I said last week that he could have made the difference against B’burn.

His hunger and driving run for the fist goal was exactly what we were missing last week.

Back in a bit

78. SUGA3 says:

a few people gave that update on LG and as I googled it, there are a few Twitter updates…

probably got that from TV, not sure!

gm,

takeovers maybe, but not ‘remortgaging’ after it’s done – Usmanov needs to give consent for the latter, given that he owns nearly 30%

no need to be emotional, Jabba is the same kind of businessman as any other!

pecunia non olet, you know?

Neither of the Billionaires are football men which Abramovich clearly is.

At least Kroenke has sporting links and doesn’t look like Deputy Dawg (and doesn’t take out injunctions against Blogsites)

80. goonermichael says:

Thanks Raddy
    I had to go out as it was our host’s birthday so we had sushi on a rooftop restaurant. Hopefully it will be repeated on one of the channels here. I’m going back tomorrow but I’ve decided to live here. So I’ll be back.

81. goonermichael says:

SUGA
    If you believe that you’ll believe anything. Usmanov is a word that I’m not supposed to say on here. Football is an emotional subject isn’t it?

looks like my info was correct. kroenke will buy fizman’s and lady nina’s shares which brings him up to about 58%

83. Evonne says:

Red Arse – careful, I scratch the table when the claws come out….

84. 26may1989 says:

Got to love this site, which other football blog would include a discussion on bee-keeping?!

I haven’t seen much of today’s game, will catch up tonight, but a relief to see them get back to winning. Just need to keep that going. Lovely to see Diaby score at the end of a move he started. I maintain he’s way too inconsistent to keep, but he has real ability. Loved Eboue’s goal too, more shooting like that from across the team and we wouldn’t struggle to win games we should win.

Have just seen Bobby Pires bombing down the wing (ok, waddling down the wing) at the end of the Villa v Newcastle game. Takes you back.

And a word about Raddy’s typically excellent prematch write-up: surely it should have read “Not too Metally, AND THEREFORE for a small town, Blackpool has a fine musical heritage”!

85. SUGA3 says:

gm,

I think you are just being opinionated and a bit prejudiced…

football is an emotional subject, business is not 😉

what makes you think Jabba would be any more likely to sell us down the river than Kroenke? it’s business, he would want for his business to do well…

86. Evonne says:

Usmanov has more money than Abramovitch; Abramovitch wasn’t a football fan until he bought Chelsea; Kroenke sees buying Arsenal a business venture with returns, Usmanov probably as money laundering mechanism.
    Me prefers the Uzbek

87. Evonne says:

Hi 26may! I am the guilty one, again. But I am more or less house-bound, so this is my window to the world. And yes, occassionally I abuse it, soz 😦 But I get a fair bit of abuse back, especially when you are not around

88. SUGA3 says:

Evonne,

and knowing what the Russians/ex Soviets with money are like (and you probably have the idea like I do, don’t you?), he would make RA look like a tramp!

26. Thanks for the kind words. Actually I am not a Metal fan but I do like the theatrics of it. The nearest I get to metal is early AC/Dc and the odd stadium rock track.

Evonne. I do not really care which of them buys the club as long as they respect the values and traditions of Arsenal. The question is “why should they?”

90. 26may1989 says:

Nothing to feel guilty about there Evonne, just tickled me to read!

I do a fair amount of business in the CIS, and have dealt with oligarch types quite a lot. I have an idea what it takes to become rich in places like Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, and it ain’t pretty. I’ve not come across Usmanov directly but I do know someone who was advising on a deal involving Usmanov, and my friend said Usmanov is dodgy and not someone he’d recommend dealing with unless it was essential.

Yes, Abramovich is genuinely into football, but how many oligarch-type owners are like that? Would I want my beloved Arsenal to become beholden to one of his ilk? Not in a thousand years, both morally and for the sake of the club. If there has to be a majority owner of the club (and personally I’d be happy to stick with what we’ve got), I’d much prefer Stan Kroenke, who has to operate in a far more transparent business environment, meaning you get what you see with him.

91. SUGA3 says:

BR,

AC/DC? I’m a big fan, been to their concert in Prague and the most recent one at Wemberlee!

check out the vids on YT, look for the ones submitted by subtyrant, not facing the stage, but top quality!

92. Red Arse says:

And what have I done to upset the beautiful, clawed Evonne? 🙂

Suga, I think you have insulted me, except I did not understand your comment. I suppose it is best I do not ask.

A Tramp? A low down bum? Well I’m 17 stone and 6’4″ so can’t be that, surely? 🙂

93. Red Arse says:

With approx 60% of the shares, I think the Kroenke bid for the whole shebang is a done deal.

However, when it comes to a choice between Usmanov and Kroenke I would rather have neither.

Kroenke has no love of Arsenal and this is a business deal, plain and simple. Once he reaches 90% of the shares, (Logic says Usmanov will sell), the remaining 10% of the shareholders will have to sell.

The next step is the company will become a ‘close’ private company and reporting requirements, financial and otherwise, is minimal. We will know bugger all that has not been filtered thru’ the Kroenke PR machine.

I am guessing, of course, but I bet I am not far wrong.

94. SUGA3 says:

Red Arse,

sorry dude, it was the Russian RA (Abramovitch) I was talking about 😆

he is a few times richer than Roman and it would be a matter of ambition to upstage him to look the part back at home!

95. SUGA3 says:

spare a thought for Danny F. tho…

96. 26may1989 says:

First things first, Arse, once Kroenke goes past the 30% threshold he has to make an offer to buy out the remaining shareholders at the highest price per share he’s paid in the last year (if I remember rightly, am not a corporate lawyer). But the othe other shareholders aren’t bound to accept that offer. True, being a minority shareholder would be less sttractive when there’s one shareholder with +50%, but Usmanov has always said he wants to have negative control, i.e. have 25% of the shares to stop special resolutions. The fact he said that worried me, as it made clear that he has zero interest in developing the club, but in the context of a Kroenke purchase of the Bracewell shares, it does suggest Usmanov may hold onto his stake for quite a while yet, meaning Kroenke could be a long way fro the 90% threshold.

97. Red Arse says:

I will have Abramovich him for impersonation!

RA is my trade mark, although he would make me look like a tramp financially.

In a way, sorting out the ownership will be beneficial in the long term. Oddly enough I wrote about this only last week.

My only hope is that Kroenke will want to release funds for player purchases.

In addition, there will be a clear statement about what Arsene Wenger’s success criteria will be, although AW might go too, once the deals are finalised.

By the way, Suga, there is no problem regarding constructive criticisms of the club, the manager or the players.

There is no argument that your views are as valid as anyone else’s, but ‘constructive criticism’ is the key phrase. Then there will be no animosity.

Hope you agree. 🙂

98. SUGA3 says:

RA,

I do agree, I am just loud like that, you would know if you met me 😉

I may sometimes sound like I am going OTT, but that’s just hyperbole and most of that stuff is in jest…

peace!

99. Harry says:

Lol Peaches, “Any volunteers GiE for a match report?”

And since then he hasnt been seen!!

100. Red Arse says:

2 *13,

As I said, I am only guessing.

But I have been on both sides of the buying/selling teams.

Once SK has achieved his initial goal of a 60% stakeholding, Usmanov will know (be advised by people like me) that the game is up.

He will have no control, no likelihood of achieving control and will be stuck with a minority stakeholding that no other bugger will want to buy at anything like the premium he paid for his hares.

Kroenke has waited a year so that the highest value he bought at will have fallen. Usmanov has to get out while Kroenke has to pay him the same price as offerred to Lady Nina and Danny Fizman.

It’s just business, my boy! 🙂

Let’s wait and see.

101. Red Arse says:

Two qualifications to the above. hares = shares … don’t want to set any running.

‘On both sides of the buying/selling teams’ = not the Arsenal shareholders’ squabble, of course. 🙂

102. Harry says:

My thoughts:

1. Great result, better performance…
    2. Some decisions went for us Some didnt, arguementively whose were the real key ones, although Kozzers’ was a penalty…
    3. Lehmann instilled some confidence, although I want Woijech back soonest…
    4. Squillaci had a very good game, for all his knockers, the lad has stuck in there.
    5. Eboues goal was quality, the other two were good goals as well.
    6. Fabregas did look better today and Nasri looked back to his sharpest.
    7. Clichy had one of his “Total Liability Momements” why does he dwell on the ball like that..? Really could have cost us dear..
    8. Away from home, we play with more freedom…
    9. Blackpool fans showed how a crowd can really get behind a team (Although I understand your comment suga that they are fighting for survival) it undoubtedly was the way the crowd got behind them that inspired that fightback.
    10. Now we must beat Liverpool and Spurs…..Then see where we are….

103. Red Arse says:

Couldn’t disagree with much of that Harry. 🙂

You are right about Clichy and his ‘moments’. His thought process seems to be; ‘ball at my feet ….. don’t know what to do ….. oops thar she blows …. Merde, zut alors!’.

104. SharkeySure says:

Mickey:
    “Danish,
    Samaritains 0800 505050”

🙂

105. Harry says:

Red Arse: Lol “Merde Zut alors”

I think I was shouting something more stronger, I couldnt (but could) believe what he was doing, why oh why, he has done that too many times for me…

106. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m here briefly in between jobs the wife is making me do. I’ve made my excuses to Peaches.

As for ownership struggle …….. Shizzle would have hoped this could have been left til Summer.

I assume the AST will keep their shares and what about the Fanshare scheme launched last year. So many questions so few answers as of yet.

Yes Clichy had a dense mo
    Net but I thought he made some very good challenges at times and was committed going forward.

Thought Diaby showed glimpses of how he could be really good given some mental strength and drive. His physique and skill should give him a chance of being an all time great of the game rather than the odd flash.

Off now for more chores see you all on the morrow

107. Gooner in Exile says:

mo Net = moment

Sorry iPhone predictor strikes again

108. SharkeySure says:

I agree Harry, I loved seeing Lehmann in our goal today. He just exudes authority, and he really seems to instruct and organise those in front of him.

Wilshere really was immense today. He really makes a mockery of those who laugh at Wenger’s talk of players promoted from junior teams being ‘like a new signing’ How some loved to laugh and take the pis out f that phrase.

Take a look at Wilhere, Sz and Djourou. Who’s laughing now..??

Very good point SS. Add in Kos and we really have a huge input of new and high quality talent.

Today was such an important win. Another draw and the season would have totally unravelled leaving all the good work done pre – Brum to be lost in the ensuing acrimony.

As I said in the post, a flukey 1-0 would have done, instead we saw the lads in top form in the first half.

D.D. is coming home…watch this space.

GIE. I cannot understand why they didn’t wait until season’s end.

kelsey. I am sure you are right but could he be as effective as before in this world of insane spending ?

BR

I think he will oversee things for kroenke and take some pressure off Wenger, but i may be way off the mark.

You are right,today’s win was absolutely vital.

everyone is being ill in our house so i better sign off until tomorrow.

115. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

If you mean Kroenke’s bid, I suspect Danny Fizman’s health may have had something to do with it.

Sort out his estate while he can, maybe?

116. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, 🙂

Sorry to hear about the family illness.

See you tomorrow.

And you broke the news about Arsenal! Ace. 🙂

117. Don’t catch anything kelsey – and I hope you’re right about DD, my spy knows nothing by the way – useless woman 😉

118. RA – I think you’re right that this has been driven by Fizzman’s health – pretty rubbish timing ….. what with season ticket renewals and all

Sad that Fizman should be so sick. He has made an enormous contribution to making our Club into one of the best in the World.

120. SharkeySure says:

Raddy 8.09. I really love Kos and his aggresive all action style. I think he could go on to be one of the greats at this beloved club of ours.

However, whilst I accept he is still learning, his penchant for diving in to tackles in his own box does concern me a little. I just would have expected him to learn from his mistakes a little quicker.

Overall though, for £6-7m GBP he looks an absolute steal, and I love him to bits. “Only one season of top flight football, and that was in France”..Lol.

Is Luiz really worth 3 Kozzers…?? Is he even a better player on a one for one basis…??

121. SharkeySure says:

Wallace & Gromit – Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Top quality for all ages. Those with kids too old to watch it, watch it for yourselves.

Ps. I know thats a little bit random and a little bit off topic, but Evonne and Mickey digressed earlier to beekeeping, so why not.

Ps2. Evonne. We only abused (teased?) you as we really thought we’d seen the last of 2*12+2, and that you were the villain of the piece ! I’m so glad that we can trust you again 😉

122. Rohan says:

Luiz makes rash tackles as much as Kozzer does if not more. He’s given away a few penalties as well.

People just rate him very highly because he’s enthusiastic and all blood-and thunder.

123. SharkeySure says:

Hola Ro-han mi amigo….

Oh and cos he’s got big hair, and he cost Chelsea around 26m in a players plus cash deal.

Oh and as far as some Arsenal ‘fans’ are concerned, because he hasn’t been signed by Arsene Wenger. Well that’s how it seems to me anyway.

We seem to be picking up a few ‘asylum seekers from the asylum’ (?) over here at AA these days. What gives..??

SS. Not sure. All we can do is keep insisting upon intelligent blogging and moderate the one liners

125. London says:

Asylum seekers, top drawer Sharkey. I wonder if Danish got through on that number or did he simply just jump, time will tell. Funny idea though Micky.
    Good Post BR as ever and lastly thank you Blackpool, thank you for allowing us to lift our much needed spirits.
    I can breath again, I don’t know about you but I feel like I have been in hell for the last couple of weeks.

126. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Like i’ve always said. Diaby plays well when he has hair 😉

127. gnarleygeorge9 says:

……Diaby goes from box to box when he’s got the lox.

Evening Raddy, London, Sharkey et al,

Fate is a very fickle phenomenon. Last season we were pinning all our hopes on the leadership qualities of Sol Campbell – who would have thought that Mad Jens would come to our aid this year?

I thought he did well today. He had safe hands in the air whilst still scaring the ***t out of me when he tried to play football on the ground. You gotta love the guy.

129. SharkeySure says:

“moderate the (juvenile?)one liners ”

Yep, agreed.

That D******n thing was just plain b****y stupid. I was worried it might be c****gious. I r***ly hope it ain’t. 😉

No genuine offence intended Suga3, and I did tell you to your face at the time *frown*?

130. SharkeySure says:

Et tu R**p at 10.09 ??

On that note (flat one?)

Night all

131. SharkeySure says:

Oops, quality one liner that GG9. Thats the sort we’re after.

Right deffo off now.

132. SharkeySure says:

Ok, very last one, seeing as you keep drawing me back in and I forgot my manners on entry (no excuse me Miss?. No not like that !!).

Cracking pre mach Raddersm even if I didn’t read it until around 6pm, and AFTER I’d watched the game on a 2hr delay.

Oh and, best wishes to Danish, or deepest sympathies to his family !!

133. Gooner in Exile says:

Mad Jens had me worried twice, could have easily seen him booked or worse for the Blackpool goal.

And in about the first five minutes when he appeared to bring his studs down a bit quick on the Blackpool player underneath him.

Was Almunia really injured physically? Or was it psychological. Whatever the reason if he is now not available can we bring in another emergency loan as back up.

134. Harry says:

Well sorry I have been absent tonight, I got clobbered by Peaches the raven haired warrior princess for the Match report because GIE was too busy ironing his wife’s socks…..

Wont be around much tomorrow during the day, I hope you all like the match report and its upto the high standards of AA, short notice again….sigh…..

135. Guys, you don’t know the promises I’ve had to make to Harry in order to get a match report for us to publish tomorrow 😳

Surfice to say, he’s a star 😀

136. Harry says:

Peaches you do know that opening line sounds so wrong, lol……

137. Gooner in Exile says:

I felt bad there for about two seconds until I saw ironing wife’s socks! 😀

She’s had me digging , edging and spreading. And apparently the hottest day of the year also included indoors jobs that I should have done over winter.

It’s all repayment for being allowed to watch the Arse at a moments notice and allowing me to spend our money on supporting the boys.

138. 26may1989 says:

Have caught up re the game today. Overall, I thought it was decent, a hell of a lot better than we’ve seen for a while. It was great to see much of the attacking verve return, keep that going in the remaining seven games, and we’ll have a chance.

But we did manage to give Blackpool plenty of openings. I didn’t see a whole lot of defensive cover from the midfield. In particular, Diaby, who was in Song’s position, should have been all over that. And the other four midfielders probably should have done more too.

139. goonermichael says:

Just saw the goals on 101. All three were good goals. Pleased for EE. I’ve always liked him. not rated him though). I’ll be so happy if Kroenke takes over and not that fat bastard uzbek. Billionaires can’t throw money at clubs anymore anyway.

140. Evonne says:

Kroenke’s eminent takeover is all over the news today. The only positive on the story is Kelsey’s spin that DD might be coming back to moderate between board, Stan and AW. Other than that, it’s pants 😦 Yankee owned….grrrrhh. But maybe it sounds better than Uzbeki owned?

141. Evonne says:

Sharkey – oh yeah? So the GIE’s public character assassination of his poor wife is fine, but my bees are painful??
    Oh no, now GIE is going to pull a stat that he his virtual wife beating takes only 11.8% of his time spent on this blog, whereas mine is 99% on virtual bollox 🙂

142. goonermichael says:

Evonne
    I hope the Kroenke story is true. I don’t want usmanov

143. Evonne says:

GM – me neither, but he is much, much richer than Stan. Also, he has the eastern european/asian chip on the shoulder and would try to prove himself against Roman and the sheiks.

144. goonermichael says:

Uefa have already brought in rules to stop billionaires throwing money at football clubs. He’s not as rich as the Arabs as far as I’m aware. Whatever the realists say to justify him he is so obviously dodgy. I could imagine some fans trying to justify Hitler taking the club over if they thought we’d win trophies.

morning gm and evonne.

it is true gm and by my calculations kroenke will have to borrow and thus we will remain in debt.
    arsenal are worth in total share value about 900/950 million and his wealth is estimated at 2.7 billion not including his wife’s estimated worth via Walmart .

its official he has taken over the club with just over 62.9% see sky news.
    reports vary as to the worth of th club between 750 to 900 million. he has stated he will endeavour to take full control of the club.

147. Gooner in Exile says:

From Beeb website:

The statement to the stock exchange said: “The offer will not be funded by way of any debt finance (banks loans, payment in kind loans or other debt or quasi-debt interest bearing obligations) for which the payment of interest on, repayment of or security for any liability (contingent or otherwise) will depend on the business of Arsenal.”

So that’s ok then. He only has to make offer to buy remaining shares so perhaps they figure certain bodies won’t sell….AST? Plus fanshares. It also appears that Kroenke was behind fanshare so hopefully he still is. In my view Stan is probably the best of the two but it does not fill me with joy.

Apparently he has agreed £11k for Bracewell-Smiths and Fiszmans shares, and the offer will mean if he gets 100% all the shares will be worth £724m (he owns 29% already) so to not need to borrow is still a possibility.

The AST holds 3% of shares and there is another 9% of shares held by small holders (probably fans) so I doubt they would sell as it’s likely the shares are not there for financial gain but to own a bit of the club they support.

David Dein should be a good move as he has the clubs history in mind but the custodians felt he was dragging the club down a rocky road when he left so are his beliefs as pure as we hope?

I don’t want my club to lose what it has in bundles…..CLASS!

Finally I read that Man City are going to offer £40million for Wilshere and £100k per week wages (allegedly double current)……..ok it might be pure speculation and a non story but City seem to play the Barca game if unsettling players.

148. Gooner in Exile says:

The £900 mill valuation comes from adding debt £147m onto his agreed takeover valuation £724m

Thanks for the detailed report GIE.

My understanding is that these negotiations have been going on for over 8 weeks and hopefully Arsenal will ensure that everything is above board and no further debt is involved, and though we appear to be losing our heritage(is that the right word) the Arsenal principles will remain the same.
    I would like to know what Wenger is thinking, as he is bound to be interviewed but will give nothing away i am sure.

Would this have happened if fizman was well ?

Morning all,
    Given the inevitability of some kind of takeover, I am at least happy that our owner is a sports fan, and there appears a certain transparency surrounding his business affairs. On a more superficial note, most people like to be liked, and he will have noticed the hatred directed towards his countrymen at Utd, so I imagine he has thought very carefully indeed about being wrapped up in the very Englishness that is top flight soccerball.
    I’m ok with it, and will be very happy when I know for sure that he is not going to leverage the club.
    I am also very happy that we are right back in the hunt for the League.

151. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting question Kelsey, you’d have to think not, but with Bracewell-Smiths shares there for the taking for the last couple of years it has probably only ever been a matter of time.

Ok recommended cash offer statement (from Arsenal club website:

“Today KSE, UK, INC. (“KSE”) has announced an Offer for Arsenal Holdings PLC.

As part of the Offer KSE, which is a company owned by existing Arsenal Director Stan Kroenke, has committed to continue to operate the Club in line with our existing self-sustaining business model.

Mr Kroenke has a proven track record of successful long-term investment in sport and has confirmed that he has asked the existing Board to remain in place. This includes Mr Peter Hill-Wood as Chairman. Mr Kroenke is also fully supportive of Manager Arsène Wenger whom he has stated is a wonderful manager.

KSE has also stated that the offer will not be funded by debt finance secured against the Club. These confirmations are outlined in full in the press release, which is available here. [Insert link]

The Independent Directors of Arsenal comprising of Mr Hill-Wood, Ivan Gazidis, Ken Friar, Sir Chips Keswick and Lord Harris of Peckham have considered these confirmations as well as the Offer price and, having received advice from an independent adviser, Rothschild, are recommending that shareholders accept the Offer.”

Someone more skilled in corporate finance might want to have a read and deconstruct it for the rest of us: http://tinyurl.com/62fbyhu

There is talk of a Loan Note alternative.

152. Gooner in Exile says:

Micky it really seems that there will be no debt, having read up on Loan Notes it is purely a mechanism to stop owners of existing shares having a CGT burden, instead taking a loan note in KSE.

Now we just need to hope Usmanov does not stand in the way of the full hog to prevent the club going forward out of spite. I hope he takes his money.

Seems like we have exciting/worrying times ahead depending on how you feel about the takeover.

Anyone who feels they can break down the official statements into absorbable chunks please step forward.

Can anyone recall how much Usamov paid for his shares?

I believe this can only be good for AFC. Kroenke has a good track record (as far as I am aware) in the Sports arena.Reading his Wiki biog I guess we can expect an improved Arsenal TV but little else.

Can’t see him going out and buying a Torres, primarily because he is not interested in “soccer”. Though his vocal support of AW is encouraging.

Furthermore, I am very disturbed that our new owner has a Sweepover and Moustache. It is not a good look.

156. It was reported that David Dein received £75m for his shares when he sold them to Usmanov

Oh BR,
    He may just buy us a “please love me” pressie!

158. I’ve heard he has a fine collection of electric guitars Raddy does that make up for the sweepover?

159. Gooner in Exile says:

Thats right Peaches which meant £8.5 k per share roughly so at least Usmanov will make £3k profit on half of the shares he has acquired.

Now you mention it, the sweepover and tash is indeed very worrying, and I was doing so well with all this takeover business!

When Mad Jens took out that Blackpool player just before their goal, was I alone in having an instant “Paris Moment”?

AST have a meeting tonight with gazidis tonight. Timing is interesting.

163. Red Arse says:

Hi Guys, Just thinking out loud. 🙂

We obviously still do not know the full extent of the deal to acquire the shares of danny Fizman and Lady Nana.

The reported shares acquired by Kroenke, so far, amount to 63%.

The acquisition of Usmanov’s 27%, (I have already explained why he will sell), would bring the shares acquired to 90%, at which time the remaining shareholders could be forced to sell their shareholdings, giving Kroenke 100% ownership.

The total shares of Arsenal Holdings PLC = 62,000, if you take a mean of the shares already bought, and allow for the expected current share purchase price of between £11,500 and £12,000 (reports vary), say £11,750 that would value the company at £729,000,000.

Usmanov’s 27% would bring him approximately (£729m/100*27) = £197m.