Honours beckon and Hearn earns

Not been a good week has it? Losing a Wembley Final, losing Cesc, losing Walcott, losing Van Persie, seeing our super new goalkeeping wonderkid make his first serious mistake, and having people who have no interest in football call take the rise. No, all in all it has been a crap week.

But within this settimana terribili we fought and gained 3 points against tough opposition, and tonight we will continue our hunt for the 3 remaining trophies. The Bookies have us at 5 to 2 on not to win a trophy, which must be worth a flutter.

Between us and a trophy stand Man Utd; should we win tonight, United away are our next FAC fixture, and we will win tonight. Make no mistake. Orient will put up a fight but our lads will be looking to return to winning ways and I expect us to do so in style.

The defence almost picks itself assuming Mr Wenger will gve another start to Miquel who had a fine debut. Hopefully Ramsey is available to start, he will receive a fine welcome home.

We looked toothless at Brisbane Rd. The Chamakh/Bendter frontline has yet to click, and playing Nik wide right is bringing neither him nor the team any benefit. Once again, I am left questioning the decisions to send so many players on loan. Vela would  surely have started tonight, instead Arshavin or Nasri will have to start in order to give us some width and pace. We have to give Wilshere a rest – he has been giving is all for too long and surely we have enough in midfield to create a win without him. This team is going to be a case of Hobson’s choice.

My team?

Probably not what AW will go for (I expect him to leave Ramsey on the bench and play Song/Rosicky) and I am unable to get into the Arsenal website to check the injury status of Diaby.

Orient gave us a fright in East London, though to be honest we totally controlled the game and they scored with virtually their only opportunity. Will they be able to do the same on our home turf? I think it highly unlikely and our B team have some work to do to improve our image of them. Some are playing for their Arsenal careers.

Much has been written about the lack of enthusiasm from the Arsenal section of the Wembley crowd, I expect a subdued atmosphere tonight and quite a few empty seats. It is up to the team to return the feelgood factor and I am sure they will – it is time to put the smile back on Arsene’s face.

We have been charitable to a close neighbour, allowing them the opportunity to garner some much needed cash and have a week of glory. Orient have had their Cup Final and got the result they needed – we had ours and didn’t. Arsenal need to get back to winning ways,and tonight  will be the start of another winning run of games

Continuing our heavy metal theme. I have it on good authority that Mick Box guitarist with Uriah Heep, and Phil Collen, lead guitarist of Def Leppard were from Leyton but then so was pianist Bobby Crush (only known to the older readers!)

p.s. This was written prior to Chelsea’s win last night. Had I written it this morning the opening of the post may well have been more upbeat. Such is the wonder of football!

COYRRG

Written by BigRaddy

158 Responses to Honours beckon and Hearn earns

GIE God bedring.

I think tonight’s team will be dissimilar to Sunderland. With a big run of games and the league being a clear priority AW will rotate extensively (IMO)

Though Chamakh and Bendtner need game time to bed in, if we were to play just the one upfront my choice would be Chamakh – he has shown he has the talent and we will need him firing for the run-in. Especially as a 3 week out for RvP is invariably 3 months

2. London says:

Ahhh, there is something very reassuring about a BR pre-match.
    I think it will be a very tight, low scoring game tonight with the good guys scraping through.
    It seems to many that Ramsey is ineligible for tonight which I suspect is true and certainly is a shame.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Rosicky will start, Wenger needs to accelerate his rehabilitation on the off chance that Fàbregas is not fit for the Barça game but if I was a betting man I would put my house on Cesc being available to play in his home town.

London. Wish I had known that before I selected my team ! You are right about TR, pitchtime is essential. He is one of those I suspect is playing for his Arsenal future.

I disagree about the scoreline. I think we will win handsomely

Morning,

Thanks for another stylish pre-match Raddy, I see you went for ‘Hearns earns’ and resisted references to potting balls and playing on the green baize at the Emirates 🙂

I was talking about Uriah Heep on here last week although I see that RA and Rocky are more Shakespeare than Dickens.

As to the game and future challenges. I think its a shame that we are looking to Rosicky as a Cesc stand-in when it should really be Diaby in terms of his age and development. I really want to see him boss the midfiled for us one day and make his size count. I shall be watching him closely tonight and in the hope he doesn’t have the characteristic lapses in concentration.

5. Carlito11 says:

Morning BR- thanks for the great briefing. I agree with London that we won’t put many past the Os tonight but I hope I’m wrong! A number of people who are apparently in “the know” have told me Wenger won’t risk Nasri tonight as the sole survivor of our best front 4, we’ll need him for the league.
    On a completely separate note- I have just discovered that my regular match buddy isn’t coming tonight and I therefore have a spare. Is anyone interested?

6. pat says:

I too want Diaby to have a blinder – he is due! I really want Diaby to succeed as he has the ability – he needs to just produce it consistently – as Rasp said his concentration (and not getting injured) is key…

7. pat says:

What does everyone make of Thierry talking about wanting to “come home” to Arsenal? Prob not much happening since he is contracted to 2014, but if you could you would have him back in a flash wouldnt u?

8. 26may1989 says:

Thanks Raddy.

I’m sure you’re right that we’ll see the B team tonight – I hope so. And it’s up to them to step on and despatch Orient without much fuss. Which I think they will, I expect a boring two or three goal win tonight. The players’ confidence will have been lifted by last night’s result. But we need them to start well this evening, to show they can get over Sunday’s massive disappointment.

Diaby doesn’t appear on the arse.com injury list, so would seem he’s available. And is it clear why Ramsey wouldn’t be available? He didn’t play in the FA Cup for either Forest or Cardiff, so is not cup tied. I hope he is available, and hope he starts this eve, it’d give a nice lift to everyone there.

Don’t agree with you on loaning of players – Vela clearly needed a chance at regular first team action in order to remind himself that he’s a talented player. He wouldn’t have got that with us, and therefore would have continued to be useless for our cause. And Lansbury and JET also need to continue their development, given that they are coming up to that break-through stage. We’ve got the resources, some of the players just haven’t done what they can do.

Morning pat,

I would assume that TH means returning to Arsenal in some capacity other than as a player – I believe he has expressed this wish many times before and it is testament to the ‘family atmosphere’ at the club that so many ex-players still support the Arsenal.

10. 26may1989 says:

Pat

Thierry is a god, with a guaranteed place in the Arsenal panthenon, but I wouldn’t want him back as a player. He’s done on that front. Who knows if he has what it takes as a coach. Love him to bits, but he’ll always be a bit of an egomaniac, and that might not work that well in bringing on young players. Perhaps some sort of woolly ambassadorial, Bobby Charlton style role? He’ll always be greeted as a returning hero, and it’s always nice to see him saying good things about us, but I don’t really see much of a role for him in any official sense.

11. Gooner in Exile says:

Haven’t we been here before? We should win certainly whether we will or not is down to the players AW picks.

I hope it is a stronger line up than shown above.

As I said at the tail end of yesterday’s post lack of fitness is concerning with some of the squad. Not so long ago it looked like we had one of the stronger benches in the PL, now it looks decidedly bare with so many out on loan.

I’d play strongest midfield/attack possible with a view to getting the job done early.

Also I think the players that are so low after Brum need to get it out of their system before Sunderland. Orient are less industrial than most lower league sides so I would not be too worried about injuries from the tackle.

12. dandan says:

Good read BR. Ramsey cannot be considered for this match as he was at another club when this round was first played. He will be available for the next round.
    We should win comfortably with a mixed side.

Going back to last night wouldn’t Chelsea new boy David Luiz have looked good in an Arsenal shirt I believe he will be a big big player.

But the league is now in our own hands, we win all our games we win the league, lets see how we handle that.

13. Anthony Tan says:

Don’t be surprised if LO park the bus. Then the gunners go crazy indulging in passing all over the pitch.Once a pass is misplaced/intercepted it will be the cue for LO to launch a hit and run. Goal in the gunners net.
    The gunners go crazy in their search for the equalizer nand with a high dl,the attack breaks down.
    LO launched a counter strike and then goal.
    Soon the ref blows for ft.
    Such a scenario is possible.
    The gunners make the mot passes in the epl and even in front of the box,they want to pass which,in my opinion,is plain stupid.Why not have fewer passes and more shots at goal.
    I am no soccer expert. But I know if you use less effort to score,why not?Who the hell is going to cheer all the pattern weaving passes.

14. Red Arse says:

Good pre match Raddy and it is clear you are a polyglot, as your Italian settimana terribili certainly trumps my latin annus horribili! 🙂

I heard somewhere that Song is carrying an injury.

Rasper, I thought Uriah Heep was an ex-referee! 🙂

Anyway, I cannot associate you in my mind with one of Dickens’ most weirdly horrible characters. You are too much of a gentleman!! 🙂

Morning dandan,

That Luiz looks like an amazing player. He can play in virtually any position, never stops running, has excellent technique, he’s big and strong and plays with a smile on his face – and he’s Brazillian. He is just the sort of player we could do with.

Morning RA, you’re getting him confused him cofused with indigestion pills 😛

AnthonyTan. Welcome.

It s a difficult balance between our tippy tappy play and the faster approach of say MU. Our problem is that teams defend in deep against us as we play such a high line of defence.

Seeing as we have a really good chance of winning the Prem this season, and that we are loads of points ahead of a direct attacking team like Chelsea who have Drogba, Anelka and Torrres – I will take our attacking style as the way to go forward.

AT,

I take your point, but if you look back at the Barca game you can see that we do have the ability to play the other way. Barca were guilty of the tippy tappy football and we hit them twice at pace on the break. In some ways, too much possession works against us as we can only attack at pace when the opposition is committed to attacking us.

19. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Uriah Rennie will be mortified that you think he is a pill(ock). 🙂

Dandan, even tho’ I am an acountant, I am somewhat perplexed by the parsimonious attitude of Arsenal’s hierarchy in their financial purchasing policy.

What I mean is that I totally agree with you regarding Luiz and think he is already a class act and will only get better.

He cost £23 million and has already had a marked effect on his club. Whereas we have bought Kosser and 30 year old Squidger who have not set the footballing world alight, yet between them cost us approximately £15 million (?).

The better deal (including sell on value) has got to be Luiz, and the £8 million difference could easily have been made good by ensuring our winning the EPL or the CL or both.

Arsenal sometimes seem to be concerned more about the cost of a player to the club, and not the value of the player to the club.

RA. I have a feeling his wages may well have been a stumbling block. One could equally ask why MU didn’t sign Luiz as they have a desperate need for a ball playing CB to take over from the aged and injury prone Ferdinand.

21. dandan says:

RA your maths are difficult to fault, the only better solution would have been to buy the two we did, and give the 8 million to me. This of course would have had the effect of allowing me to purchase a box big enough for all our AA regulars, so we would all have won. 🙂
    Though I shudder at the thought of my bar bill

22. Geoff Strong says:

Hi all,

Just got my laptop back from the pc doctor, couldn’t get any internet access 😦 Just finished catching up, some very good posts and comments as usual.

With regard to tonight, would like to see an old fashioned 4 4 2 with Chamakh and Bendy playing centrally like Radford/Kennedy. I cannot see Nasri starting, so without our playmakers it would be a good oppurtunity to try a plan B.

23. dandan says:

Rasp anyone who would kick the Mancs enough to reduce red nose to apoplexy has got to be worth the money, especially as the guy can also play.

24. goonermichael says:

bobby crush lol

25. goonermichael says:

don’t the mancs get upset when the lose. fucking whingers

26. goonermichael says:

Is there anyway I can block anr from coming up on newsnow? I’m glad the sun isn’t on it anymore

27. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

I was probably over simplifying to make a point re Luiz, but you are correct in wondering why Manure did not try for him. (they might have, of course?)

My impression is that, in the same way we do not try to compete with MU when they are interested in a player, (Smalling, Ronaldo, Van Nistlebum etc) they in turn do not compete when the Chavs are interested in someone like Luiz.

Hence, having beaten us with a last minute raid to beat us for Smalling, they probably feel he is their future. On last night’s performance they could be right.

28. goonermichael says:

the mancs are skint that’s probably why they didn’t bid 20+m for Luiz. Smalling cost them the game as much as kozzer cost us the cup

29. Red Arse says:

GM,

I think Manu will be out buying players in the summer again. Fergie is not Arsene and will insist they add to their debt burden, if necessary, he doesn’t give a monkey’s where the transfer dosh comes from.

I don’t give a stuff about Manu, of course, and I am glad Chelsea won, but I think Smalling was hard done by last night. A bad refereeing decision to give a penalty when he had nowhere to go. Perceptions eh? :-),

30. goonermichael says:

It was a nailed on penalty. If yous stick your foot out the player will go over it. I think the mancs were showed up for the rubbish they are. Vidic could have gone off long before. Giggs has resorted to kicking people.

31. goonermichael says:

Red Arse
    They should have bought a midfielder last summer or evn jan but they didn’t. I think they are skint until they become an arab club

RA. Interesting.

IMO it was a clear penalty and the ref agreed with me 🙂

GM. To keep going on with Scholes and Giggs is indicative of their financial plight, Scholes running out f steam was the difference between the 2 halves last night. They will, buy in summer

33. gunnern5 says:

Personally I got over the CC loss as soon as the game was over, no need to blame team selection or individual players – it was just a fluke.

I feel for Orient as IMHO they will feel the backlash of the loss and tonight’s score may embarrass them.

Considering the way the league has gone this season I find it quite incredible that with 11 games left it’s in our hands to win the EPL.
    Win 11 on the trot and it’s our title; it’s a tall order but at least we have a shot and only Man U have the same possibility.
    I just wish I had more confidence in our second string, it’s their time to raise their personal bars and to over achieve. Even as I write the words and visualize the players that will be filling in – my confidence gets even lower.

If only we could avoid injuries,
    if only……………

34. gunnern5 says:

BR, I agree that Scholes and Giggs are over the hill but what a credit they have been to football. Giggs goal in the FA Cup semi final at Highbury still gives me the willies.

35. goonermichael says:

gunnern5 says:
    March 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

It was lucky gunnerm 🙂

…. and it wouldn’t have mattered if DB had buried the penalty in the last few minutes of normal time 😦

37. Carlito11 says:

RA/ DD- we signed OUR Luiz last year in the shape of Tommy Vermaelen- same kind of all action player with a great touch for £13m less. Also has good resale IF he returns to fitness. In my opinion a fair better comparison than with Squid/Kozzer anyway

38. dandan says:

I don’t suppose Dennis has ever forgiven himself.He was such a perfectionist, AW said in interview last week DB10 was the most skillful player he has ever seen.

39. Gooner in Exile says:

See another of our youngsters Gavin Hoyte has done his cruciate 😦

40. Red Arse says:

Hi Carlito,

TV and Luiz are both excellent.

But that was not my point, with respect.
    Arsene felt the need to buy additional centre backs, and chose to buy Kosser and the Squidge and not someone like Luiz.

My point was that it could, in value terms, have been more beneficial to have bought one excellent player like Luiz than two cheaper but inferior players.

If you don’t agree that is fine.

41. gunnern5 says:

Rasp,

What if PV had not given the ball away, what if Seaman had not come off of his line, what if Alumnia had covered his near post, what if Szczesney had covered the ball………….. what if cont’d.

42. London says:

RA

In response to your 10:58

The accidental assumption I think that people make is to assume that if we had been prepared to pay 23 million and matched the wages the chavs were offering we would have been able to buy Luis — we wouldn’t have — quite simply because the chavs would have offered 24 and had we matched that they would have offered 25 and so on. As an accountant I am sure you understand the financial restrictions we are under where as the chavs seem to have very few if any at all.
    The same is true of manu, they may want to go on a spending spree in the summer but will they get the players they want with man city just waiting to outbid and embarrass them and by doing so demonstrating just who is the real financial power house in Manchester now.
    The upshot is that we have to go the Koscielny route and they have to go the Smalling route.

Hi dandan, I know, it was very un-Bergkamp-like. We can forgive him for all the ‘Wonderland’ performances he produced over the years. Like TH, I hope he can play some part in the club in the future.

44. Red Arse says:

London,

I already made the point that we will not compete with Manu, (Smalling) nor will Manu, in turn, compete with Chelsea for players, (Luiz), for financial reasons.

You appear to be agreeing with that.

Having made that proviso, I was suggesting that, leaving aside the financial issues, we seem too often to look at costs and not values when buying players.

I tried to demonstrate that by suggesting the additional cost of buying someone like Luiz, would be offset by the additional income engendered by the increased likelihood of winning either or both of the EPL or the CL with him in the side.

As I said to Carlito, if you do not agree with me or do not understand my posit it is no biggie.

45. Brigham says:

@ Gunnern 5

That wonder goal by Giggs in the FA Cup semi of 1999 was actually scored at VILLA PARK, not Highbury. Not wanting to split hairs of course! 🙂

46. Red Arse says:

Got to go and see someone now, so cannot stay to argue anymore, not that I could be bothered frankly, so hopefully see you tomorrow.

47. Gooner in Exile says:

Red Arse, i agree with your figures.

But the one thing you appear to overlook is that for the difference of £8m we got 2 players, whereas Chelsea put all their £23m eggs in one basket. And lord knows we need as many players as possible with our injury luck.

48. Red Arse says:

Before I go,

I am sure that you know I was paraphrasing Oscar Wilde’s quote; He is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

So I am not claiming credit for that! 🙂

49. Carlito11 says:

RA- I’m not in complete disagreement with you- Luiz looks like the best find at CB for a long time and could be compared with Rio’s 30m move to OldToilet. I see where you are coming from with regard to value and cost and of course would love to see the player on yesterday’s form in Red and White! So no biggie whatsoever 🙂

50. Carlito11 says:

My contacts have failed me in terms of finding someone to sit with me at the ground tonight- can I tempt anyone here? I’ve got a few meetings now but back at 4pm. Harry/ Rasp/ Rocky are we still having a pre-match pow wow somewhere? Is the Arsenal Tavern cool? What time?

51. Red Arse says:

GIE,

At the risk of being late for my appointment, 🙂 I had to pop back to respond to you.

I bought a really good watch three months ago although I could have bought two “OK-ish” watches for the same money.

I did not need two watches, and was happy with my choice. It all depends on your personal philosophy I suppose, which is why it is no big deal if others do not agree with me. 🙂

52. London says:

RA

I like to think I fully understood your suggestion that had we spent larger sums of money on players like Luis we would have been more likely to have offset the additional cost from the added income that winning the EPL or the CL would have brought in. My point is that no matter how much we might want that ilk of player and no matter how much money we offer we will not get them because they are such a rare commodity that we would always be outbid by Chelsea, Man City and Man U.
    And that is without stating the most obvious point that if buying players like Luis won clubs the CL then Chelsea should have won it for the last ten years.
    Please don’t think that this comment is in any way borne out of frustration to you, it is not, I simply use a football blog like this to debate interesting football matters.

53. Red Arse says:

London,

You realise that when the Doc tells me off for being late that I am going to blame you! 🙂

I enjoy debating with you and hope we will continue to agree and disagree over various footie matters.

My concern about “understanding” was clumsily put. I meant you may not have understood because of an inability on my part to properly explain myself.

I meant it when I said it was no biggie. I would rather withdraw my comment than to fall out with you, Carlito or GIE over a passing thought. 🙂

Gone now!!

54. London says:

RA

I would prefer you keep your comment up there and enjoy the debate.

Hope it goes well at the Docs

55. Hi all

Great pre-match Raddy, I’m really looking forward to tonight. Someone suggested 4-4-2 for tonight with Chamakh and Nik up front but we know Arsene isn’t going to do that!!!!!

Its fair to say that we don’t want to risk Nasri or Arsh and so we’re now looking a little thin on the ground.

If Rosicky and Diaby want to be Gunners next season then they have to play well tonight surely.

Nik will be fine either up front or wide right its Chamakh that I worry about but I’m not alone there.

56. 26may1989 says:

Gunnern5’s post at 12.05pm is excellent, both on the positives (“Win 11 on the trot and it’s our title” – the simplicity of that statement sent a shiver down my spine) and the negatives re the B team players’ underperformances.

For once, I do query something the magnificent Red Arse said: no-one knows precisely what we agreed to pay for Koscielny and Squillaci of course, but the figures I saw knocking around at the time were something like £4.5m for Squillaci and £8.5m for Koscielny. Luiz looks fantastic but a cool £10m more than the price of two defenders seems a significant difference to me.

Also, remember the situation we were in at CB last summer: with Gallas, Silvestre and Campbell all leaving, and with Djourou in a right old state with injuries (and doubts about his abilities), there was only Vermaelen to count on. It was critical to get two CBs in, and a number of us were arguing for three.

Just popping in to say hello to all. Flat out at work today but hope to see some of you tonight.

It was nice to see ManU lift our spirits, just like they did after the 4-4 at Newcastle.

58. London says:

That certainly is a good comment from GN5 at 12:05. I share his concern over the ability of the B team in fact I am starting to worry that Wenger my throw tonight to the wolves for the good of the League.

59. London says:

4.4.2 makes a great deal of sense, should have been that on Sunday as well.

60. Hello all – am I being a bit of a wind up merchant if I say perhaps it’s better if we get dumped out of the FA Cup tonight(rather than cave in to the FA United at Old Cow Paddock in the next round) so we can concentrate on our next 11 “Cup finals” and not stretch our squad ?
    I’m not saying I agree with that premise, I’m just running it up the flag pole to see if anyone salutes it.
    Similarly the Champions League – do we de-prioritise that for the Premier League also ?

Chary. Similarly, one could say that we would be better off losing at Camp Nou as we are unlikely to win the CL, and have covered ourselves in glory by beating Barca at home. Losing in the next round would be more painful and add at least 2 games to our season ….. oops just read your final sentence 😦

I don’t subscribe to either proposal. We can and will win all in front of us …..

62. I agree with Raddy, we’ll certainly come unstuck if we start prioritizing one competition over another – we’ve got a squad for goodness sake, they have to prove their worth.

63. Yeah Peachy, I wasn’t particularly convinced by the de prioritising argument myself.
    Radders – and thanks for your considered and insightful preview and I’m liking the recurring HM motif. Phil Collen was the only Londoner in the Sheffield based Def Leppard, I think he replaced one of their main songwriters from the original line up who was a bit of a disruptive influence – rock ‘n roll bands eh ? Always full of artistes with “differences of musical opinion” .
    It’s a shame their other guitarist, Steve Clarke, couldn’t overcome his alcohol addiction and he died so young, in his early 30’s I think?

64. Just realised I haven’t nagged for a match report, anyone volunteering 🙂

65. Gooner in Exile says:

I don’t agree with de prioritising now either, if we do get dumped out by Barca, we will play Man U 4 days before they face Marseille, Fergie would have big decisions to make in terms of the team he would put out.

If anything I am wishing we hadn’t bothered with Carling Cup 😉

Chary. Leppard were not a lucky band to be in !!

Perhaps I should write a literary connection to all our opponents, but rock n’roll is my specialist subject. I was in a team that came second in the whole of England in a music quiz during the early ’90’s. We got beaten by a Radio 1 team and I still think it was a fix. The quiz took place over 6 months with regional rounds and ended with a final at the Shaw Theatre in front of an audience. We got 3k for coming second (1st received 5k).

Here is why I think it was a fix……. (sorry another dull BR reminiscence) ….. one of the questions was this….

There is the sound of a motorcycle exhaust at the beginning of Leader of the Pack by the Shangri-Las. Who owned the motorbike? The Radio 1 team knew the answer!!

Peaches – you may wish to spam this comment as it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with The Arsenal !

67. Red Arse says:

Back 🙂 just in time for another quiz.

Wasn’t the sound of the motorbike taken from the Harley owned by a sound engineer making the recording?

(Tests/biopsies OK, just a day for a small op as an out patient and all should be well! 🙂 I promise not to mention health issues again) 🙂

RA. Hope you looked that up or that you were in the Radio 1 team!

Good to hear all went well for you today.

69. Charybdis1966 says:

That does sound like a fix, Radders, who owned the bike ?! I could understand asking what type of bike but really asking who owned it.

70. Red Arse says:

Was that right Raddy?

(I had two friends who popped in to see me on my return, and one thought he knew this from his own quiz team, (probably pinched it off you guys) 🙂 but he was not sure).

RA. It was the correct answer 🙂

Fortunately we lost by 3 questions otherwise there could have been a row – my team were all from my staff and they liked a ruck.

72. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

You probably saw there was no name mentioned above. 🙂

My friend just ‘phoned with a link you might like to check out. All the info is there apparently!

73. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

My friend tells me all the info is on the link below, including the actual name of the engineer, aswell as the name of the mystery piano player who was on the recording too. [Billy Joel]

http//www.history-of-rock.com/shangria-las.htm

As a rock n roll man you may already have this! 🙂

74. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

I seem to be uable to post at the mo’ so this is my last attempt.

Answers to the questions (including the actual names) is on the link; http://www.history-of-rock.com/shangria-las/htm Billy Joel was the mystery piano player! 🙂

75. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

I cannot post the link info, (AA/Wordpress is throwing me out) but after the usual, http// and www. , if you type “history of rock” (joined by hyphens – ) and then followed by .com/shangria-las.htm you should see all.

Good luck. 🙂

76. Carlito11 says:

Not sure if lot have picked up on this but the ref tonight is none other than Lee (free) Mason! Could be a lively atmosphere after all!

77. Gooner in Exile says:

Bloody hell Carlito way to spoil my dinner!

He was an absolute see you next Tuesday against Everton, expect nothing! Altho on the plus side he normally only favours Northern teams so he will just be peed off to be in London so maybe he will be equally shite to both sides

Give the man a break. He will be looking favourably upon us after his dire work last time.

I am more concerned about him sending off one of our boys. We have enough problems as it is

79. dandan says:

according to twitter Connor Henderson and Miguel are playing tonight though I suspect Connor will warm the bench

80. dandan says:

Something to put Sunday behind us and go forward

81. Gooner in Exile says:

BR Surely we can afford a red card for Rosicky with 2 minutes to go 🙂

82. ryandanielwood says:

Lee Mason

The man refs like he’s taken a spray of mace, to the face.

I’m a poet, and unfortunately I worked really hard thinking that one up so that you all would know it.

🙂

83. SharkeySure says:

Evening All, still no team news..?

84. dandan says:

Coonor, bendy and denilson are all in

85. dandan says:

Almunia, Eboue, Squillaci, Miquel, Gibbs, Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, Rosicky, Henderson, Chamakh

86. goonermichael says:

That’s a carling cup team

87. goonermichael says:

Who’s on the bench? I can’t find it myself

88. dandan says:

Subs: Szczesny, Sagna, Nasri, Wilshere, Djourou, Clichy, Arshavin

89. Gooner in Exile says:

Strange strange side, how we feeling now?

Now, that is a strange side, full of MF’s and very little width

Much will depend on Diaby’s creativity

evening all.

where’s peaches, i am logged into liveonfooty with her and the sub has run out, so i am f*****

women aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

94. goonermichael says:

thanks

95. Evonne says:

Leave my mate Peaches alone! CONOR HENDERSON???????????!!!!
    Did any of you guys pick him for tonight:)

96. Irishgunner says:

Am I too late to talk about this cricket lark? 😆

Interesting line-up but might work out. The youngsters should be keen to prove themselves and won’t feel the pressure of the older players.

thanks gm. 🙂

98. goonermichael says:

One of my client’s brother is the O’s keeper. They’ve got 22 coming down from liverpool. I hope they go home well pised off.

99. dandan says:

Carrol midfielder for the orient is spud Loanee against Henderson one of our reserves should be interesting

100. goonermichael says:

pleasure Kelsey

101. Evonne says:

oyoyo yo yoy, I’d much rather AW picked more experienced squad…In PL we are hoping the Manure should drop more points, other than that it is out of our hands. FA Cup is different – we can defo win it

my son got 4 tickets from clients, best seats just behind the players,he’s the good looking one with a girlfriend with long ginger hair (yes i know)

103. Gooner in Exile says:

There’s no cricket being played Irish it has been washed into the Bermuda Triangle along with Sundays final 😉

104. dandan says:

Evening Kelsey you are sounding chipper

105. goonermichael says:

Evonne
    It is totally in our hands. If we win all our games we’d be champions

106. Gooner in Exile says:

Evonne PL is now in our hands

107. Irishgunner says:

😆 GIE – They were trying to explain the rules of cricket on Irish radio today but it all got lost when we beat England. Nobody really knew what was going on expect we beat England at a game they are good at 😆

108. goonermichael says:

Chamakh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

109. Gooner in Exile says:

2,3 and 4 now please.

Diaby is already annoying me….

110. goonermichael says:

We lost to Ireland in the cricket. how funny

111. Gooner in Exile says:

Are we playing 4-4-2!!!???!!!

Bendtner seems to be in box a lot

112. goonermichael says:

lot’s of empty seats. It’s supposed to be sold out

113. Gooner in Exile says:

Give Diaby til half time and he’ll be off injured.

This woeful performance too many missed passes, too many sideways and backwards too.

114. goonermichael says:

lovely jubbly

115. Gooner in Exile says:

Was thinking same GoonerM really pisses me off as I would have gone if they were available a week ago and I could have organised trains etc 😦

eboue….what a player.

117. Gooner in Exile says:

Now that is a great finish.

118. goonermichael says:

I’d like to really spank them

119. goonermichael says:

7 nil I reckon

120. Gooner in Exile says:

We are probably playing worse than we did at Brisbane Road …… go figure.

Diaby anonymous when he should be conducting the game, think his head is well and truly gone. Such a shame all that talent is going to go to waste due the neanderthals of the PL.

Like to see more of Henderson but distribution to him has been poor.

This is the kind of game to really scrutinise who has the desire, at the moment NikB, Rosicky and Chamack showing why they are used more often than Deni, Eboue and Diaby in big games. They are still playing like it’s a PL match while those 3 are trying to coast.

121. dandan says:

GIE think you are very hard on diaby, see Manuel Almunia went walkabout again, nothing new there then

122. goonermichael says:

I’m not a big diaby fan but he’s not exactly having a blinder

123. goonermichael says:

that comment was before he missed

124. Gooner in Exile says:

DanDan I just wish for his sake and mine he hadn’t suffered so many injuries.

I know he has got everything to be a big big player for us. But it seems psychologically he is fragile.

125. dandan says:

According to the ESPN commentator his stats say all Diabys passes were completed, worry not about the miss give him credit fot getting there,

126. Gooner in Exile says:

Job done….well played…..I suppose….and a goal for Clichy!!!!

127. dandan says:

GIE how long does it take you from the Emirates to Kings Cross after a game

Well that was very nice. In every area we played well – no-one was exceptional and no-one poor.

Great to see the front two score 4 goals, and Nik’s hatrick was great. All 3 goals taken very well and the penalty was superb.

129. goonermichael says:

I just read RVP is out for at least 6 weeks. Is that true? Anyone heard anything?

130. goonermichael says:

The spanish defender looks a good player.

131. goonermichael says:

I’m off see you tomorrow

132. 26may1989 says:

A few things while on the train home:

1. Red Arse, excellent to see you had good news from the docs, am delighted for you.

2. Irish, very funny to see you bigging up the cricket! Congrats to the celts, excellent performance.

3. A “what the doctor ordered” performance from the boys tonight. That, coupled with United losing, should put us in good stead to recover from Sunday. Liked Henderson and Miquel tonight, and chuffed to see Bendy bag a bunch.

133. SharkeySure says:

Just finished watchn it as live.

Nothing spectacular tonight, we seemed happy passing it around wioth no real purpose, and the O’s seemedhappy enough defending a 0-1 lead !!

Three great finishes from our Striking Viking, and I really hope he gives a lift home to Chamakh, so he can explain to our shot shy Moroccan that hunger and desire will generate chances and bring goals.

Chamakh played well, but he has to WANT to score, and he is simply too happy to lay off nearly every ball thats played to him. Defenders get so tight to him as they know he’ll never try to turn them. Mix it up a bit please Marouane, we need you over the coming weeks.

134. SharkeySure says:

I thought Diaby did well tonight, enough so to have me questioning why (if fit?) he didn’t play instead of Tomas at the weekend.

Night all

135. SharkeySure says:

Congrats from me too Red, hardly read a comment for 2 days, so missed it, wherever it is.

136. London says:

Hi Sharkey

Good point about Chamakh needing to want to score, right on the nose that one.

137. Need a match report chaps, anyone fancy rustling one up quickly ………

138. Gooner in Exile says:

DanDan if coming back to Norwich I go via Liverpool St, which is about 30-45 mins walk and bus.

Went back to Kings X the other night after Stoke took about 45 mins to get to Finsbury Park tube!!

Great night tonight. A comfortable win, a Bendy hat trick and, best of all, I got to meet Rasp and Peaches. A real pleasure to finally get to know such fine people in the flesh!

140. gunnern5 says:

I have no wish to take the gloss off of the win but get a grip chaps this was against Leyton DisOriented.

141. gunnern5 says:

However I will be in Wonderland if we beat Sunderland………..

142. gnarleygeorge9 says:

G5

Are you lecturing? 😆

Morning all.

Job well done.Had a lousy stream (peaches read above please) and then listened to the second half on the radio and Keown gave a few interesting comments which I agree with.

Eboue is absolutely useless and no one will convince me otherwise.

Chamakh worries me.His goal barely reached the net.He has a powder puff shot, and either lacks confidence to shoot or can’t or turns his back to goal on the edge of the penalty area,looking to get rid of it as quickly as possible.That is not how a striker should play.He comes across as a bit of a pansy to me 🙂

144. Gooner in Exile says:

I suppose if we compare last nights performance to ManUtds second string performance against Crawley we’d have to conclude our second string was better. So quarter finals will be interesting 🙂

145. dandan says:

Thanks for the info GIE. that 45 min trek to kings cross is the main reason why I don’t go to the Emirates, living about the same distance out as you do, but being not as young or fit, I had hoped it would improve as we bedded in at our new home but obviously not.
    Kelsey I agree with you that EE is our real weak link, A spare right back is crucial to us. Was pleased to see Diaby off after an hour that probably means he will play against Sunderland his height is an asset too.

Did anybody hear Pat Nevin commenting on the old firm Derby last night, he said how well the Arsenal Loanee Kyle Bartley played,saying if Arsenal need a good centre half they should look at talent closer to home. So Kyle plus Miguel, who I like the look of, bodes well for the future again

What has Chris Smalling been up to, rumours he has been a naughty boy?

146. Morning

Does anyone have time to put a few words together about last nights game please.

Here’s a few words: 😉

Mental Strength. 🙂

Sorry Peaches – heading off to the airport now. Great seeing you last night.

150. Gooner in Exile says:

I could do it peaches it will be very few words tho.

Let me go boot up the mac

151. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Foxsports.com.au’s best England jokes

Q. What would Glenn McGrath be if he was English?
    A. An all-rounder.

Q. What’s the English version of a hat-trick?
    A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. What advantage do Kevin Pietersen and Jonathan Trott have over the rest of their teammates?
    A. At least they can say they’re not really English.

Q. Why don’t English fielders need pre-tour travel injections?
    A. Because they never catch anything.

Q. What do you call a Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
    A. A bowler.

Q. What do Matt Prior and Michael Jackson have in common?
    A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason.

Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed by English batsmen?
    A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. What is the definition of optimism?
    A. An England batsman putting on sunscreen before going out to bat.

152. Gooner in Exile says:

DanDan my parents only do the weekend games, they tend to walk from Kings X pre match. I think they get bus back from H&I which is a lot quicker exit.

The hold up to get to Finsbury Park is a joke I’m sure we used to be able to cross the road without being held up by police before. Altho that’s probably my Rose tinted glasses

153. Gooner in Exile says:

Fairplay GG9.

How we let Ireland chase down 300+ runs is a cock up of titianic proportions!

154. Harsh Gnarley, but funny.
    Hope you’re alright, I’ll be at the Grove for the Sunderland game – fully bladdered, just to settle my nerves you understand.

155. Thanks to GoonerinExile for rescuing us this morning