Sunny Times Are Here Again

In the course of Sundays blog discussion re the Toon debacle, a committed fan who unlike me, regularly attends games and who felt totally let down by what she saw as a capitulation by the team that day, advanced the opinion that I was too sunny in my acceptance of the team’s performance.

Now leaving aside the fact (if you will forgive the cliché) that I am viewed, rightly or wrongly, it matters not really, as a cup half full man, a Wenger apologist who can see no wrong with the great man and a purveyor of stories of times gone by.

It nevertheless seemed to me that despite the frenzied, put it in row “Z” defending we were practising. What actually undid us was: 1. A debatable penalty; 2 A nonsense Penalty; 3 A volley from outside the area that could just as easily have itself ended up back in row “Z. (remember Mr Rose at the Spuds anyone? and that cool Mr Rooney as a 16 yr old Evertonian perhaps.)

In the last two instances, that single strike was enough to sink us. This time we had three occasions when lady luck could have been a bit more generous, but it seems when shit happens, it happens big time as far as the Arsenal are concerned.

I mentioned during this discussion some famous dark days from yesteryear. Days when we really had come unstuck big time. Leeds, Swindon, Luton, West Ham all infamous days, burnt deep like  branding scars, on the souls of legions of Gooners of  varies ages,  and are now for ever enmeshed in the folk law of our club, that has elevated names such as Gus Ceaser, Don Rodgers and Sniffer Clarke, to infamy in the minds of those who like me were there.

Alongside these now will go the Courteous and diplomatic Mr Barton and poor old Diaby? Whose sending off for a half baked retaliation to a repeat performance, of the kind of tackle that has twice put him out of the game for long periods, (indeed at times we and he wondered would he ever come back, happily he has, but is now viewed with suspicion by a significant portion of our fans as not up for the job) has seen him castigated for being perceived as the catalyst for our so called capitulation.

Personally I felt the absence of the pace and height of DJ was more important as the game was switched by the Toon to an aerial bombardment, which we all know was a problem to us previously, but since the arrival of DJ and Chesney has been largely eradicated.

So sure it was dammed annoying to drop two points  from a position of such strength, was it the end of the world though? What were the net results? Well a draw and a closing of the gap on Man U.  whilst pulling further away from the newly enhanced Chelski. So hardly a disaster and city having played a game more are stuttering at best, should Tevez get injured what will happen to them?

With three home games to come we have a great chance to cement in the minds of the other title chasers the fact that we mean business. Agreed Stoke will be interesting, but we do not yet know which defensive personnel will be available to AW. Hopefully both DJ and Kos, will be fit in which case I see no problems.

Much is made of the Psychological importance of such let downs and the word momentum figures large in the populist presses reports. If this is true, what of the effect on the Mancs to losing to Wolves, invincible’s they aint, and our own loss of invulnerability by the true invincible’s, did indeed take a while to recover from, following Rooney’s dive. So maybe MU luck has run out and they are in for a tough time.

Our players no doubt are smouldering at the injustice of it all, the witch hunt of our magnificent Captain will also I think add fuel to the fire and far from damaging us Psychologically, will instead pull the team together and motivate them to take on the world and win.

So sunny yes I guess I am, why? well in football parlance: football as they say is a funny old game and this indeed, is a funny old season. Saturday was a game of two halves and I prefer to believe that the first half and the marvellous Wengerball that saw us 4 up in 27 minutes is what lies ahead of Arsenal the rest of the season.

In short, I smell sunny times ahead and trophies.

Written by dandan

120 Responses to Sunny Times Are Here Again

Time to lay down the weapons, the voodoo dolls of Phil Dowd and Lee Mason and remember that we’re 2nd in the league and we still have an excellent chance of winning it.

Better news is that as a team we could be learning to avoid International Football and further unecessary injuries and fatigue 😀

2. …… and because we’re in such a good place we’re just going to laugh at the suggestion that Cesc could be tempted to turn blue – ha ha ha Abramovitch you’re ‘aving a laugh surely 😛

3. tommystout says:

good morning peaches and excellent post DD.
    We are in a fab position and as the widget shows better off than last season.
    I have only just read yesterdays post which was a fascinating read as well as were all of the comments, special mention to Togba.
    The fact that Manu have chelsea to play twice as well as us and liverpool, this is our league to throw away. Was that what we were doing on saturday? maybe but if diaby is gonna react dont go half hearted – Paul Davis please!

4. Red Arse says:

What a rip roaring, rootin’ tootin’ read! 🙂

The clever use of syntax, the erudition and the whole upbeat, glass half full attitude this could be Rasp at his winsome best! Love it!! 🙂

5. christian says:

I don’t think any of the penalties were debatable to be honest, we just went to crap after the sending off. Newcastle showed a lot of heart to come back, and to be fair we let them. however the nightmare that was a visit to st james is completly overshadowed the fact that we’re still in good step. com’on you gunners, lets get some silverware

6. Gooner in Exile says:

Cheers Dandan, like you I think we are holding all the cards for our success, it’s a shame that some of those cards are marked by officials and opposition players.

My only concern is history repeating itself, last season we had the easier run in, and we found a way to make it hard.

The Carling Cup final will be the most important game this squad play this season, failure to bring home the silverware could destroy the spirit in the camp and allow the media to finish the murder they have been plotting for the last week or two.

We need a fit squad, we can’t afford a costly injury now like we received against Barca last season.

Time to decide EPL or CL what do we want to win, we surely can’t win both, and the FA Cup….well if we win the CC it’ll be a reserve competition from here on in if we want to win either of the big two.

7. Slice says:

Seems to me that some fans are the type that are fallible in relationships but never look close to home. The reason this is always happening to us is down to the manager and the players not luck/ decisions etc. That feeds a self pitiful attitude and hinders any winning mentality. I’m sick of Wenger saying we lost focus, we invited pressure, we started slowly or without determination. WHO’S FAULT IS THAT??!!! It’s unbelievable that he can say that week in week out and not receive any sort of comeback for it. Invite pressure? How about not bring Eboue on for Walcott then mate. I backed Wenger for years but this rhetoric is be becoming ancient and laughable and an insult to the majority of Arsenal fans. His refusal to look at cover for song and Johan, well, less than a week after the window closed has cost us 2 points. Why has no one mentioned that?! What more will it cost us. Imagine the priceless boost psychologically that his refusal to look at back up for those positions, even loanees, has already given Stoke, let alone barca, and then those Birmingham mugs

8. con says:

another arsenal site complaining and totaly forgetting to mention the Leon Best disallowed goal….the second pen made up for that.

9. Red Arse says:

Con,

Neither did we mention the disallowed Van Persie goal.

The only one complaining this morning is you, it seems.

10. bops says:

🙂 nice.. lets sure hope so..

11. Smith14 says:

Slice,

Firstly, I’m pretty sure Wenger and the players are looking close to home. Wenger will be picking over the bones of this and the players will try to learn the lesson. What would you rather, Wenger keeps it behind closed doors or comes out to the press and declares that half the team were rubbish and it’s all their fault? The latter would hardly enhance togetherness and confidence.

Secondly, you say that Wengers rhetoric is an insult to the majority of Arsenal fans. Which majority is it you’re talking about? The people who visit internet sites to spew out anger because the team didn’t win or the 60000 fans that go to games and sing the managers name week in week out? I think if you look at it closely, there is a vocal group on the net that want to blame Wenger for everything but the majority of real fans would be firmly on his side.

Finally, I doubt very much that Wenger refused to look for cover for Djourou or Song, more that he didn’t find anyone worth the money. Gary Cahill was quoterd in excess of £20m. Ok he’s good but he’s not that good. The players we needed were not avaialble so what do you do then? It’s so easy to demand signings, regardless of whether the players you need are avaialble. I’ve said many times, the players who would enhance our team generally play for rival clubs anyway. There isn’t a bottomless pit of top class defenders and midfielders just sitting around waiting to be picked up. Theo ther top manager who didn’t sign anyone was Ferguson, quoting that there was no value ion the market. Personally, I’d trust Wenger and Ferguson over the people who spent millions on panic buys.

12. con says:

RVP was half a yard OFFSIDE.
    Best was a yard and a half ONSIDE.
    There is a big difference.

“Our players no doubt are smouldering at the injustice of it all” – I still cant see the injustice?

13. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Fair points dandan. We drew, the chavs lost & so did united.

Before the game I was a little bit dubious about winning & certainly had manure & chavs down for 3 points each. As it turned out the net result was a 1 point gain for The Arsenal.

14. Geoff Strong says:

Smith14, Good point regarding Ferguson not buying, he must have been looking for a centre back too, proving your point that were either not available or over-valued.

United without Ferdinand or Vidic are very vulnerable.

15. gnarleygeorge9 says:

con

How long do you think you will keep Best before you have to sell him like carroll to pay the bills. I guess you lot will always have that sinking feeling after that nano second of joy like Saturday.

Admit it mate, Newcastle are a small club. It must be sad having to have your grand dad be the one to tells stories of past glories 😆

16. tommystout says:

well said GG9

17. Smith14 says:

Con,

Fair enough, I think RVP was offside and that Best was onside however the injustice we saw was with the referee. The first pen was soft and the second scandalous. There is still no justification for why Nolan was still on the pitch after head locking Szczsney.

You can say we’re moaning and rely on a decision that went against you but you cant deny that the ref was inconsistent.

18. Geoff Strong says:

Good post Dandan, I too “smell sunny times ahead and trophies”

19. goonermichael says:

con says:
    February 8, 2011 at 10:33 am
    RVP was half a yard OFFSIDE.
    Best was a yard and a half ONSIDE.
    There is a big difference.

Con
    I agree tha RVP was offside and you were denied a goal that should have stood. However nolan should have been off. 10 against 10 we may not have crumbled so easy.

20. goonermichael says:

con
    the linesman that didn’t give your goal gave the 2nd pen and was staning next to nolan when he should have gone off. barton doesn’t look so hard when he’s shitting himself because a big black man has him by the neck does he? He should stick to using trainees as ashtrays. wanker

21. Geoff Strong says:

My final word on the Newcastle game. Forget the harsh penalty decisions and offside incidents, the game changed with the sending off of Diaby and the failure to send Nolan off. If the referee had been consistent and sent Nolan off, when the score was 4-1, none of the other incidents would have occurred.

22. liam says:

Van Persies goal was offside the replays showed that and Bests was not the replays showed that. Newcastle’s second penalty was a penalty I was sat behind the linesman who gave it and who flagged immediately for the offence. Rosisky pushed Williamson in the back when he was in mid air about to head the ball back across the area. Dowd got both penalties right. If your interested in the views of a fan whose club pulled in 51,500 fans on saturday yet haven’t won the title since the mid 1920’s, The FA Cup since the mid 1950’s and any major trophy since 1969 I will tell you. Wenger despite his foibles is a god send to any club he has steered you through a very difficult situation moving from Highbury. He has stopped you from running up debts unecessarily and he has consistantly got it right selling players like Henry and Lundberg at the right time and nurturing the Wiltshires of this world. True he is a tad myopic and stubborn, you need an experienced keeper and centre back and tough tackling central midfielder who can play a bit but how can you criticise him. Why buy in the window when all the goods arent yet on display.We would have given our right arms for such a manager. A Dynasty takes time to build but can be destroyed overnight. He will win things again for you. However I would suggest that Fabregas will not be the miss you think he will be when he goes in the summer. Ramsay if he recovers will become a huge player for you in future. Fabregas does not have the right attributes to be your captain he was partly responsible for your demise in the second half. His indiscipline and wingeing allowed us to get back into the game as it spread to the rest of your players.

23. Carlito11 says:

Cheers Dandan! I’ll raise my half-full glass to yours! I fully agree with your sunny outlook this morning and it goes nicely with the view out the window! It will take more than an generally sunny outlook to heal the chillblains and frostbite scars caused by the Newcastle result but the reassuring warmth of your prose is definitely helping!

24. Carlito11 says:

Liam- top comment that and I enjoyed this line “Why buy in the window when all the goods arent yet on display.” in particular! Thanks for your defence of our manager from a “neutral” perspective. I think it chimes well with the majority of regular posters on this site

25. GunnerPete says:

Nice sweet article based I feel on what you got up to last night and not on the facts of the situation. If as I have been reading, Djourou is out for a long period the you can wipe the sunny smile off your face right now because reality is about to arrive.

I dont know where you and other sites have been for 6 years? I for one and thousands of other Gunners have aired serious doubts about Arsene’s big flaw ie; he cannot (A) understand defence at all (B) He cannot see/feel a great defender (C) He cannot organise a defence and (D) He is too stubborn to accept help from ex top Gunners like George Graham who built the greatest defence in history from nothing.

I will say it one last time, what I said in a mail to AW himself in 2005 …”you will not win a thing again unless you buy a stock of young British born defenders, as per GG” Now I feel like a profit!!

Sadly like many others who are sick to the core with being right about this, I read that not only do we not have our number one CB Vermaelen (nearly a season) but we have now lost the only other quality player Djuorou. Without him we would be about 7th in the table. As forecasted by many others too…Arsene has ..AGAIN left us short by not buying quality backups when it was so obviously needed and we will face Barca twice / and several top PL clubs with the worst two players since Cygan & Stepanovs…and who bought them ?

Finally, how come all the smaller clubs in the PL can bring through CB talent like Cahill, Johnson, Lescott, Ferdinand, Terry, Jones, and many more and the Great Arsenal end up with the above shower?

Two weeks ago I was so impressed with the Djourou led defence that I was confident AFC would win the CC, FA cup and possibly the league…..I also thought we would give Barca a game this time. Now I will be chuffed to bits to get a cup anywhere , and expect a Squillacci led defence to fall apart in Spain.

.#3 written by GunnerPete

26. Carlito11 says:

Liam- I will take you up on the Fabregas comments. There is no difference between Fabregas’s attitude at the moment and the way Roy Keane and John Terry try to influence the ref but because he’s a “short foreign type” he is characterised as a whinger. You may not like it- but he’s just trying to do his job and I think he’s doing it better by the game

27. con says:

I admit the second pen was abit soft but I wouldn’t blame the linesman for it. The fool you want to blame is Rosisky. You can’t guide a player in midair with two outstretched arms and expect to get away with it. In real time it looked a push. Players should not give the officals the chance to make a mistake.

28. Smith14 says:

Gunner Pete,

You clearly don’t realise the fatal flaw in your argument. You argue that Wenger can’t spot a defender but then say if Djouorou and Vermaelen were fit we’d be ok. Who signed those two?

Equally, Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure, backbone of the invincible team, who signed them? England internationals Ashley Cole and Keiran Gibbs? Matthew Upson even.

Get your facts straight before you go off the deep end.

29. Carlito11 says:

GP- if Wenger cannot “see/feel” a great defender- how do you account for the signings of Gallas, Kolo, TV and Djourou? I happen to think Kozzer has what it takes too. You are right that this has been an issue at times- we often debate defensive drilling and GG’s methods- but Djourou has come in a made a big difference and our goals against column is only a couple of goals different from the other top 4 sides

30. wenger23 says:

lets be fair though van persie’s goal was offside and theres wasnt so in fairness theres should have stood our shouldn’t and they got that made up to them with the soft pena decision

31. Wonderman says:

My cup is always half full as well Dandan. Very good read and still plenty to play for !!!

@Gunner Pete is it inconceivable that in two weeks time you could change your mind again ?? I dont understand your ‘British born’ defenders statement, defendng has nothing to do with your passport mate

32. Geoff Strong says:

GunnerPete, I understand your frustration but part of your argument is contradictory. You state that Arsene cannot see/feel a great defender and yet you go on to praise Djourou and Vermaelen, both bought by Arsene.

How many more players do you add to your squad in case of injury, we are only allowed a 25 man squad. To lose both Vermaelen and Djourou (as it seems we might) at the same time is unfortunate and may cost us.

33. wenger23 says:

i believe gunner pete is partially right when you look at foreign defenders they read the game better than british and tend to play there way out of trouble were as british players tend to be more physical and are more likely to clear the ball if they are in trouble

34. Smith14 says:

Geoff Strong,

Very good point about squad sizes too. We can’t have it both ways. Wenger has bought through scores of young players over the years directly as a result of not flooding the squad with expensive signings season after season. If we signed a £20m defender (even though I don’t think there’s anyone avaialbe worth that) it would hold back Djourou and Koscielny or just fill a spot on the bench with massive wages. You have to draw a line somewhere, you can’t have 5 centre backs just in case.

35. liam says:

Carlitto I love watching Fabregas as a player he is instinctively one step ahead of his peers in and out of possession. My disappointment with him was in his attitude as a leader of men when we were playing well. He didn’t show the leadership qualities of an Adams. He needed to get his team mates to focus and not to panic. Granted the volume of sound from us must have been daunting when we sensed that the game was still there and consequently would have made matters harder but with Barcelona away on the horizon he needs to learn from this. In a funny way this result has helped both our sides. I can’t see Arsenal doing that again in a hurry and we restored a bit of pride and self belief and our supporters are re-energised after overcoming yet another blow this time from the loss of Carroll.

36. Smith14 says:

Liam,

You may be right that this result will galvanise both sides. Just promise us that you’ll put in the same effort when you play Chelsea, United and City (if you haven’t already?).

37. tommystout says:

sounds like JD’s injury isn’t going to be as bad as somme people are reporting.

38. dandan says:

Morning all glad some of you enjoyed my Post. GunnerPete I am afraid your argument falls apart in the first line as I wrote the piece on Sunday Evening and submitted it Monday morning.LOL
    As for wiping the smile, I also believe in the saying cometh the hour, cometh the man…… if JD is out, we will cope.
    We have a talented squad and apart from Barca the next few matches are not to onerous.

39. Brigham says:

Another good article DD and also some fair and decent comments from Liam the Magpie.

Now, whilst it is very easy for any of us Gooners to apportion blame to the referee and his linos, I think its our players and manager who need to take a long hard look at themselves. Yes, Dowd and his assistants made mistakes (one of them in our favour with Best goal disallowed), but at 4-0 up, we should have had the minerals to see it through. At times our defending is woeful, but as soon as Djourou went off, our defensive acumen went with him. That coupled with the sending off of Diaby seemed to deflate the team.

Wenger also made yet another big mistake with his substitutions and this is becoming a recurring trend.

The players have a few days to sort themselves out and get ready for the visit of Wolves, who will be well up for it following their defeat of the Mancs. We need some steel in the middle on Saturday and nothing other than a convincing win will do.

Onwards and upwards, we are The Arsenal COYRRG

Hi dandan,

Thanks for a characteristically upbeat post. I’m sorry I shan’t be about much today to join in the debate but it has already inspired some very good comments.

41. dandan says:

Gunner Pete, Queried how I spent last evening so I thought I would let you all in on the secret.

Last night I was sitting on the sofa watching TV when I heard my wife’s voice from the kitchen.

“What would you like for dinner my Love? Chicken, beef or fish?”

I said, “Thank you, I’ll have chicken.”

She replied “You’re having soup, asshole. I was talking to the cat.”

42. Red Arse says:

This has been a really good blog morning.

It started with Dandan’s excellent Post and was then followed up with some fascinating comments too.

In particular, Smithy and Carlito, regular AA stalwarts, have been on top form and so too has Liam the Magpie.

Keep it up lads! 🙂 (No pun intended)

43. Red Arse says:

Dandan, 🙂 🙂

44. Geoff Strong says:

GunnerPete, For the past 6 years I have seen the whole landscape of football change, starting with the arrival of the Russian at Chelski. I have seen a football club that had the vision to accept that they could no longer compete in the transfer and wage market with the mega rich clubs. A club that put a plan into action, building a new stadium with the increased revenue that provides, building a team with a high percentage of players brought through from a young age (English or foreign) coached in the Arsenal way.

A club with the vision to put these players on long term contracts, thus increasing their transfer values should any think the grass is greener elsewhere. Look at United and Chelsea, they need to start replacing players, who because of their age, will give them little or no return in the market.

Like you I get frustrated with the manager, particularly in the use of substitutes, but I believe in the Arsenal vision, and pray for Arsenal and football that it succeeds.

45. Wonderman says:

I second that Geof Strong !!!!

46. Red Arse says:

I too second that Geoff. Well said! 🙂

47. Carlito11 says:

RA- when are you going to get yourself a gravatar? Could I suggest the following which is in no way intended as an insult btw! http://www.fustercluck.org/misc/baboon_presenting_ass2.jpg

48. Red Arse says:

Carlito, 🙂

That’s a red faced man with a long nose I take it? 🙂

I might consider an appropriate gravatar, depending on how things go in the next couple of weeks.
    Without making a soap opera of it, I am off to another consultant tomorrow, and have other things on my mind! 😦

49. dandan says:

Wishes RA the best of luck.

50. Gooner in Exile says:

GP-as others have said Djourou, Vermaelen, Toure, Gallas, I’ll add mr consistent Sagna, gone now Lauren, also Clichy to an extent. Koscielny is going to be great.

Count his failings – Cygan and Senderos (altho I still think he was attacked by so many of the doom mongers it stifled him at a very young age)

51. Carlito11 says:

RA- sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll be on the mend soon! GIE I’d like to add Igors Stepanovs in there too! Just for a laugh 😀

52. Carlito11 says:

And just going back to the GG years- I don’t think Steve Morrow or Andy Linaghan would be up to much in the current game- no better than the squid I’d contend

53. Red Arse says:

Thanks guys,

The best therapy is reading AA and putting in my pennyworth. 🙂

Thing is, so many basically committed Gooners allow their disappointment to become bitter and unfounded recrimination against our Boss.

All they need to do is read Magpie Liam’s comment, above, to get an unbiased, pragmatic outsider’s assessment of AW’s undoubtedly brilliant service to AFC.

54. Red Arse says:

Carlito,

I have heard both Alan Smith and Frank McLintock, separately, say that it was wonderful to play for successful Arsenal teams in their respective eras, but both admitted they could not have successfully competed, either as individuals or as teams, against any of Arsene’s teams.

That is from a great forward and a great defender from the Bertie Mee and GG eras. Says it all really! 🙂

55. Carlito11 says:

RA- I think the 91-93 vintage would have taken most of our teams from the last 4 years on sheer determination and Wrighty springing the offside trap! But this year with our reforged steel?

56. Gooner in Exile says:

Oh to be critical of AW is not a sin by the way, it’s just a little foolish.

No other manager could have brought us the Champions League for the last few years with the financial restrictions in place.

There is a reason teams managed by British managers playing with British steel are mid table, do we really want the likes of Fat Sam, Pulis etc taking our club back 15 years?

57. London says:

Good read Dandan

58. London says:

It’s interesting how people seem to be divided into two camps between Diaby and Djourou as to who was the more significant loss.

There is no doubt in my mind that is was Diaby; not only did we loose a valuable part of our defensive sheild we lost the all important abilty to attack.

Great read dandan
    On balance I feel positive as well. Despite setbacks like Saturday’s, I think there’s an upward trend in our performance and in what we’re capable of.
    We’re not the finished article yet (which is why we’re still vulnerable to the occasional collapse) but I genuinely think the team is beginning to learn from these problems.
    Of course, it will help if JD’s injury is not as serious as first thought and if Verm gets back soon.

Quick visit,
    dandan, great work. Thanks.
    I must say, despite being like you a half full chap, I do get bouts of Lutonitis and even feel somewhat Spudly when things are really really bad, but certainly I do not come close after an away point at Newcastle, whatever the circs.
    Some fantastic comments here today. Great stuff for the voyeur.
    Bye.

61. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan, Rocky, 🙂

It is a moot point as to whether it was the loss of Diaby or of JoDu which had the biggest impact on the team on Saturday.

What is not contestable is that the loss of either of our physically imposing players would have hurt, but to lose both was, as it turned out, catastrophic.

Sadly, the reorganisation of the team following Diaby’s sending off, and the quality of the replacements were simply not up to snuff.

It is interesting to note that there has been a sea change in the perception of the worth of JoDu as a player, especially amongst the denizens on another blogsite.
    Where once he was seen as almost criminally inept, naive and error prone, he is now seen as of major importance in our defensive line up and superb in the air.

How fickle! 🙂

62. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky,

Glad you enjoyed my toe wriggler test. Weird eh? 🙂

Morning Redders (well, it is over here anyway) 🙂
    You’re so right about the sea change in how Big Johan is perceived. I suspect that a few months ago GunnerPete would have had him on his list of useless defenders signed by AW. Now we’re relying on his knee to save our season.

micky
    “I do get bouts of Lutonitis and even feel somewhat Spudly when things are really really bad” 🙂

Btw Redders
    I also tried the toe-wiggler/hand waggler.
    The other diners looked very worried.

65. tommystout says:

sounds like JD is only a bad bruising and out for a week!!!
    Good news.
    Hi Rocky fab read yesterday!

Cheers tommy
    Where did you hear the JD news? That’s excellent if true.

67. Carlito11 says:

Just read that the Swiss FA have confirmed it’s only bruising and he’ll only be out for a week. Excellent news!

68. Twitter has gone absolutely berserk with the news about Djourou ………. I hope its true

69. dandan says:

Gray and Keys to host new 2 hr show from monday on talksport

70. Red Arse says:

Hi tommy, 🙂

Rocky, — I usually challenge someone to try the toe wriggler-finger swingler at a party after the booze has been flowing for a while!

Everyone usually joins in and it goes from snorts of derision, to groans of frustration and thence to gales of laughter. And it’s great to see the ladies doing it after a couple of glasses of wine. 🙂

71. dandan!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought we were having a sunny day 🙄

72. Geoff Strong says:

Dandan, put your money on Stewart Robson to replace Andy Gray on Sky, they are starting to use him as an analyst following his tactical insights spot on Arsenal TV.

73. tommystout says:

hi Red & everyone else who have arived.
    yep it terrible news about gray and keys on Talksnide radio, time to take carlitos advice and boycott, 2 more furgusonerettes is too much for even me to handle.

74. tommystout says:

and yes geoff, i think that would be a great call by sky on stewart robson he knows his stuff, just a shame that he isnt completely biased towards us.

75. tommystout says:

🙂

76. tommystout says:

whats your handle on twitter Peaches???

77. Do you realise don’t you that this time next week we’re going to be playing Barcelona tomorrow 😛

78. tommystout says:

oh found you anyways.

79. peachesgooner with a small ‘p’ otherwise you get Peaches Geldorf – similar I know 😳

80. Carlito11 says:

Peaches 🙂 Can’t wait! Really shouldn’t be getting excited already theres internationals and another game first! Who are we playing again? 😉

81. It must be my age I just can’t get into publishing my private thoughts – fun watching everyone else though 🙂

Are you following me?

82. Carlito11 says:

Just found you too Peaches…

83. Wolves on Saturday, are you going to meet up with us, we’ll have Irishgunner in tow 😛

84. tommystout says:

yep just added you peaches, added irish too, but you never see her on here anymore…

85. Carlito11 says:

I’m not actually coming to the next one- Barca and the Cup Final are my two other definite games this month- yet to decide on Stoke- the missus has had to put up with a LOT of footie since we got back from honeymoon!

86. True, Carlito, very true 🙂

tommy – Irish has a proper job now and can’t blog in the day 😦 she tries to get on as much as she can though.

very good piece there dandan, though i can’t quite be so optimistic as you as i pay my doctor annually twice the cost of a season ticket at the grove.
    what will happen to vela now the manager who loaned him has got the sack.

key,gray and durham, a marriage made in heaven.

can anyone understand daglish when he speaks ?

88. goonermichael says:

Hi Peaches
    Being a half full person with the great news abou JD I think we will win the league. 🙂

89. goonermichael says:

Hi Kelsey
    How much more anti Arsenal will talkshite be now?

90. Poor Carlos, left stranded at West Brom 😦

How are you kelsey?

91. Hi gm – you should come on at the same time as gnarley, he loves JD too, he’s usually around early in the morning or late in the evening. He’ll be so happy to wake up to that news 😛

92. Gooner in Exile says:

Did no one see JDs tweet yesterday, he said he took a knock on the knee, to me that was good news or a serious understatement on his part.

It is amazing how he has come of age this season and I think this is what most heavy critics fail to realise with the talent at Arsrnal, two years ago you would hear people criticise Song, now he is another who cannot be replaced.

Before we jump to slate our players we would do well to check their birth certificates, not every player can come through like Cesc and Wilshere and look the part at 17/18, some need time to develop and grow up.

hi gm and peaches and all.
    don’t ask silly questions peaches. 😉

94. Have to ask kelsey – its in my nature 🙂

Go on Peaches, give us your private thoughts… 🙂

i don’t know if you know that durham supports peterborough and their chairman is on the run from the spanish police having closed down a huge estate agency over night here in marbella.

rocky, i know most of them 😉

I would think the new West Brom boss will be delighted to have Carlito on his roster.
    (Carlito the player that is, not our newlywed).

Kelsey
    Lucky man

100. Carlito11 says:

Just seen this: Capello on Wilshere: “I hope the option will be for him to stay in front of the back four, like a centre-back.” This can’t just be a lost in translation thing can it? What has the man been watching?

101. London says:

Hi Kelsey

After Liverpool’s win on Sunday many of the pundits were saying how much of an important role Steve Clark played, I have trying to work out what kind of role he was playing but you just made me realise that his job is to decode what the hell Dalglish says.

102. Slice says:

Smith:

Please don’t categorise those who are voicing frustration as other than ‘real fans’. It’s insulting, patronising and naive. I don’t need to go into my history of following The Arsenal around the country and Europe for the last 20 years.

Thanks

103. Re-arranged Stoke fixture re-arranged again to Wednesday 23rd February

104. Carlito11 says:

Slice, I think you have a right to feel aggreived but I think all Smith was trying to say is that the majority of fans at the stadium back Wenger and that can be seen and heard at every game. In cyberspace it can sometimes seem that the majority of fans want Wenger out and this dichotomy is perplexing. Mention of “real fans” is unnecessary as we all have different definitions that tend towards our own positions 😉

105. London says:

Slice

I mean this politely, would you tell us what your frustrations are?

106. Carlito11 says:

London- see 10.07

107. Carlito11 says:

How are you at predicting England results London 😉

108. dandan says:

London one of my favourite memories sitting among the Liverpool fans with my son, for the first match after Kenny left. Liverpool ran out to “you’l never walk alone” as the sounds faded away, the whole Arsenal section broke into “Where’s your Kenny gone”, even the Liverpool supporters around us laughed and clapped them

109. London says:

Hi Dandan

It’s moments like that that make being a football supporter so special.

Carlito

I am English but I don’t follow it that closely.

110. Geoff Strong says:

Another great chant from Arsenal fans was at Liverpool after they failed to qualify for the Champions League…

“Thursday night, channel 5”

Tomorrow Walcott and Wilshere will be playing 400m from my home, so I thought “forget your principles, go and support the AFC lads”. Walked up to the ground and was told that the Danish areas of the ground are sold out and there are only tickets in the England end. Fine I say, lovely to spend some time with my countrymen (even that awful band), but no! I cannot buy tickets for an England away game outside of England!!

Such is the fear foreigners have of English hooligans.

I blame Leeds.

Are there any Liverpool players who have been transferred to Arsenal as opposed to the other way round?

113. Gooner in Exile says:

Not that I can recall BR, they’re a good place for our spent players. 😀

Morning all,
    BR,
    “I blame Leeds”. I say put all the blame at Liverpool’s door.

Sooo, yaaaawn, International Day.
    Exactly how many of our fine young men are at injury risk level 10 tonight?

116. Gooner in Exile says:

I see Stoke match has been moved to Feb 23rd to allow for FA Cup against the O’s to be played on Sunday before. Another giant killing hole for the TV boys then

GIE. Just a few days after the Barca win. We will need the break to come down to earth

There’s a New Post

119. solar screens for windows…

[…]Sunny Times Are Here Again « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…