Enter the Toffees

After a less than impressive showing in the 4th round of the FA Cup on Sunday the Arsenal host the Toffees at Ashburton Grove tonight in one of a seemingly interminable series of “must win” league fixtures. After two helpings of Yorkshire pudding the FA Cup will now allow us to sample some jellied eels at Brisbane Road.

Our opponents tonight are Everton, who’s club motto translates to “Nothing but the best is good enough” and their semi-official nick name is “The people’s club” as given to them by the present manager. David Moyes being another dour Scotsman in charge of a multi-league title winning north western club(Everton have been Champions of the old First Division nine times although in the Premier League their best finish has been 4th) – it would be interesting to learn just why they see themselves as “The people’s club”; I can only imagine it’s some slight on their red neighbours at Anfield for having a more international fan base.

Further in the past Everton have also been called the “School of Science” although the physical and bludgeoning style of play they adopted to win their last honour, the FA Cup in 1995, saw them given the tag “The dogs of war.”

Everton will be arriving in London on the back of a draw against the “Bus stop in Fulham” in their FA Cup tie (the day before our game against Huddersfield) where they were without their top scorer in Tim Cahill. Having been on Asia Cup duty on Sunday it is doubtful if he will play due to a combination of jet lag and fatigue which will probably rule him out. “The Bus stop in Fulham” team having been busy in spending cash in the January transfer window in such a manner as to make their Chief Exec’s claim on breaking even in the near future seem even more ludicrous than usual.

Cahill has scored 9 league goals this season, with the next highest number of league goals being 3, scored by Seamus Coleman, Mikel Arteta and ex-Leeds Jermaine Beckford. Cahill aside Everton’s strikers have failed to score consistently so one would expect them to continue to struggle in front of goal without their Australian spear head.

Aside from Cahill the Toffees will have no absent first teamers with the departure of Pienaar to the Stratford Wanderers being the only major change the opposition will have to make to their first XI from the return fixture.

Back then Arsenal prevailed with a 2-1 win in November, a victory which though hard fought was more comfortable than the score line suggests as the Everton goal was scored in the 89th minute.

In the league Everton have drawn their last two games and beaten the aforementioned Stratford Wanderers in the game before; they now sit 14th in the table, with an overall 5 wins, 12 draws and 6 losses in all league games. By way of comparison we are in 2nd place due to 14 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses.

An enforced change to Arsenal will be the loss of the Squid for one match due to his red card on Sunday; however it was highly likely that our current preferred centre back pairing would have started tonight anyway, namely Johan and Kozzer as the congestion in the top 3 spots of the Premier League allows us no leeway in terms of potentially dropped points.

On the assumption that Sagna is recovered from the concussion suffered in the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Ipswich last Tuesday I expect him to start tonight.

As one of the joint second highest scorers in Everton Coleman will be a threat down Everton’s right flank and it is for that reason Clichy should be recalled as Gibbs looked a tad rusty on Sunday and in any case Wenger should play his first choice left back.

Similarly Leighton Baines at left full back for Everton has rightly gained praise for his performances and we’ll need Sagna to be on form to nullify his attacking threat down our right flank.

Another midfield threat will be Jack Rodwell, similar in some ways to our own Jack Wilshere who I expect to line up against him as he is in fine form. Marouane Fellaini will use his considerable height and strength to snuff out as much of the attacking play coming from our midfield as he can so it’s important we send out our first choice XI, meaning a midfield of Cesc, Jack and Song with as front three of Robin, Theo or Arshavin (being brought in due to Nasri’s hamstring injury) and Bendtner.

Yet another potential sticking point in midfield will be the obdurate Heitinga who tops Everton’s yellow card count with 4, closely followed by Fellaini with 3 yellows and 1 red.

For the above reasons I expect us to line up as follows:

Subs: Almunia, Arshavin, Chamakh, Eboue, Gibbs, Denilson, Diaby

Inclusion of Denilson and/or Diaby in that mid field would seriously weaken our engine room in the face of a hard-working, although technically less gifted, Everton midfield.

Your humble scribe will be at the game behind the goal at the clock end shouting/cheering himself hoarse having lubricated the throat with the prerequisite quota of peronis at a bar in the vicinity of the stadium beforehand.

With hindsight it can be argued that a shade too much rotation took place on Sunday and we were slightly lucky to get through to the next round however I expect our first string to focus their minds on keeping up the pressure on the team, managed by our “friend” with the whiskey infused proboscis, that play in Salford.

169 Responses to Enter the Toffees

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

A comment

COYRRR

2. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Jellied eels 😦

3. MyArse says:

Sagna is the perfect answer for Rodwell.

I only hope that our players stop going down looking for a free kick and just get on with it. It’s more than likely nowadays that the ref. will NOT give us free kicks and penalties, so I would like to see more of our players getting stuck in and playing to the whistle, instead of falling over and looking forlornly as the opposition waltz off with the ball while the ref. waves play on!

4. MyArse says:

Did I say Rodwell? I meant the perfect answer for Mr Baines!!

5. London says:

Good read Chary.

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I reckon Denilson will start 😉

7. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Finally, some nice positive words involving an Australian on Arsenal blog land. Well done chary 🙂

Denilson is injured

9. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Is he? 😀

10. Carlito11 says:

Still suffering from vertigo when he fell over in the box on Sunday 😉

11. MyArse says:

I hope Diaby does not start as that midfield three play very well together. Also, I would like to see Arshavin start with Theo brought on at 70mins when Everton’s legs are tired. I reckon Arshavin’s earned a start.

We should play Theo van ArshGas tonight as that has to be our strongest attacking line-up for Barca.

The big mystery is what has happened to Chamakh? He doesn’t seem interested in even attempting to score with his feet (only his head). He generally plays with his back to goal and returns most passes back to the player he receives the ball from. Obviously his problem is mental, his confidence seems shot to pieces. Can anyone trace this back to a particular game or incident?

13. Red Arse says:

Nice change of pace and style with that Post CharyB. I liked it 🙂

And no mention of being a bit flat with no new players to spice things up. If there are no further injuries to our CB’s, Arsene will be proved right. I hope! 🙂

Forgetting my manners, super post chary. I’ll buy you a pre-match beer if we link up tonight.

15. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Rasp

Could Chamakh have gone off the boil since NB52 became fit again? Just a thought 😉

16. dandan says:

Nice one Chary, but if you are buying??? forget the eels I will have a pie and mash please.

Will be another park the bus do I think, so Walcott will need his skates on tonight. An early goal would be handy as this mob keep going untill the end.

Expect to win but may not be easy.

17. Smith14 says:

I would imagine Walcott will play right wing tonight, partly to peg back Baines like he did Cole when we played “the bus stop in Fulham”.

That would leave Arshavin on the left as rumour has it Rosicky is unwell.

18. MyArse says:

Chamakh’s best asset is his head. We’re not giving him enough/accurate crosses as we are ‘The walk the ball into the net Arsenal’ and he is not that type of player. His confidence will come back when we help him do what he does best.

19. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Can I ask you all who are attending, in between scoffing down the jellied eels, pie & mash, could you sing a few songs? The home fans sounds like a tennis crowd.

20. dandan says:

Rasp… Re your addition to yesterdays post this morning, look at the list of Loanee’s I put on there earlier, expect a Wenger summer sale, and a number of those guys to join the squad, the rest and some existing squad members to go. Excluding of coarse those working for work permits passports

Thanks chary for the pre-match post. I hope the cup games haven’t left Arsene confused as to which players are in the ‘A’ team – I don’t want to see Diaby starting but we know how Arsene loves him. I think Arshavin will start on the left though, unless his sprint to deny Huddersfield on Sunday has left him a bit short for tonight.

No Nasri, very sad 😦

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Is Aaron Ramsay injured?

23. 26may1989 says:

@Gnarley: My folks are just in to Sydney and texted me to say it’s a sunny 36 degrees C. Why should I be positive about Oz when I’m freezing my knackers off???!

Ramsey’s on loan at Cardiff till the end of Feb.

Chary,
    Great well researched and thinked out post. Only objection is the Peroni penchant. Get on the Guinness.

Rasp,
    Chamakh is entirely the wrong type of player for us as a first choice striker. An excellent sub though. He never was much good on the ground, and we flight into the box less balls than anyone else by a country mile. People rattle on about his link up player, but hey, he’s meant to be a striker! Can’t help thinking that Bendy would be much better than MC if played central.

Nice post and nice team, Chary.
    Hope it’s the team Wenger picks.

Cheers me up every time, Chas!!!

28. Red Arse says:

There was a bit of a nonsensical talk on the radio this morning about VAT and transfers.

During the course of the row it was obvious neither party knew whether or not player transfers fell within the scope of VAT. (It does for trfrs within the UK and may be subject to the reverse charge rules within the EU).

This is symptomatic of the hot air that is expended, by some, on every issue irrespective of whether they know the facts or not.

The cognoscenti on AA will know that “if” the £50m for Torres was net of VAT, there would be an additional £10m VAT payable on top. However, much or all of that would be recoverable from HMRC (dependent on the value of exempt supplies made by Chelsea), and so the ridiculous argument I heard as to the “real” cost of the transfer was just that …… ridiculous!

Football is full of this sort of misinformed, snarling “discusions”! 😦

29. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Thanx 26th, though I thought he had been @ Forest & now back. Oh well. Since I stopped reading Newsnow, I’m not as much in the loop 😛

When is Mr Frimpong back in circulation?

Morning/evening RA/GG.

32. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky, Gnarley 🙂

33. dandan says:

G9 Re your question the other day, yes I still read the Aussie papers, my heart goes out to those poor buggers sitting waiting for the cyclones to hit, having been in a couple of hurricanes and Cyclones I know whats comming.

As far as the cricket is concerned will be glad when the phony war is over and we can get on with the real business of the world cup, then we will see. Just hope Brett Lee can keep it together you need him.

dandan,
    Not a cricket person at all, but isn’t the one day stuff a bit like rounders?

Ooops, looks like I have moved over to the dark side!

36. Carlito11 says:

Micky- frimpnog told Twitter last week that he’s 4 weeks from training

Talking of rounders, I have to go to New York for a week on business at the end of feb. Never been before. Should I try and take in a game of baseball? Don’t know the seasons.

Carlito,
    That’s medium warm news, but thanks anyway.

Righty ho, offski.

Testing

Sorry, really glooming up the site. My technical department are on it!

42. Geoff Strong says:

Micky, Went to New York on business some years back, would recommend a return trip on the Staten Island ferry, great(and very cheap)way to see the the skyline coming in from the sea.

43. London says:

I spent six hours travelling by train to Devon yesterday having been reassured by Chas that if I make the journey that Nigella would sit on my, I think he said, lap…..didn’t happen, very disappointing. Chas your credibility has plummeted in these parts.

44. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I am a big NY Yankees (baseball) fan. The season starts around April, so you might be a bit early.

I am also a big NY Giants (American football) fan but the Superbowl is next weekend, so you are a bit late for the football.

Never mind, you will love New York! 🙂

Geoff/RA,
    Thanks. I have some contacts there, but as I said have never been. Was thinking of trawling locations from some of my favourite films (Grand Central ), but the Staten Island Ferry sounds great. Thanks Geoff. I will dfinately do it. Rasp, if the trip is successful, there will be many more so will definately go to a Yankees Game. Again, many movie connections. Thanks both.

Ah ha, got rid of the truffle!

47. Red Arse says:

Micky,

There is a little open air restaurant just inside the entrance to Grand Central station. The coffee and food are fine but (better) it gives you a great view of all the comings and goings on the concourse.

Don’t forget to look at all the shops in the concourse too!

48. Red Arse says:

By the way Micky, do you think Rasp is my alter ego? Your 11:21. 🙂

Sorry RA. There is only ever one RedArse.
    Now off for a while.

50. 26may1989 says:

Micky, there’s always (ice) hockey or basketball – both the NHL and NBA regular seasons are getting to their climactic points. A trip to Madison Square Gardens for a Rangers or Knicks game would be fun.

RA/26,
    Brilliant ideas. Thanks.

52. 26may1989 says:

Am just jealous Micky – anyone who can’t enjoy New York is dead to me.

53. dandan says:

Micky Grand Central is an amazing place, Also Go to Maxies on Times Square a must visit for all proper Gooners Great Kosher Deli,LOL Steaks to die for Micky, wife dreams about their chopped liver Sandwiches and the cheescake!!!! she is drooling over the memory as I type

54. London says:

Hi Micky

If there is an Arsenal game on while you are in NYC I recommend Nevada Smiths (they always have every game) which is on 3rd and 11th but Google it.

As for tourist duty, go up the Rockafella Centre (no queue) to get the view rather than the Empire State (big queue) and buy a ticket for a couple of bucks more that allows you to go up again at night. There is a boat that goes round Manhattan called the Circle Line it takes three hours, very enjoyable if you have three hours to kill and want to get the size perspective of the island.

Food, this is tricky with you but go to the oyster bar in Grand Central Station (a foodie must) the natives and the clams are good with a cold glass of white of course. The menu will look good but by European standards you might find what arrives disappointing, your call on that part. Ah, I just remembered unless you simply try the clam chowder, that works.

Anyway I am sure you will have a good time.

55. charybdis1966 says:

Hi guys, cheers for all the kind words for the post and sorry I haven’t been around earlier – boring work meeting to sit through.

Gnarley – I have kind words for another Aussie, Dudley Simpson, talented composer who provided the iconic music score for my current non Arsenal viewing, Blakes 7.

MDi89 – I like my beer unlike my music – not heavy !

Chas – it has to be the team, we can’t muck around in the league.
    Raspers/Peachy, will catch up with you pre match, do you think one of you can give me the name of the pub?

I have the location but I’d like the actual name if possible.

56. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ok its bed time, I’ve got an early start. The game comes on Fox 2 @ 6.30am.

2-1. I reckon Sheeps Head & RVP to score. There could be a 3rd, & if so AA23 to seal it. Adios amigos.

57. London says:

Night, night gnarley

58. Carlito – whats the pub called opposite the big white letters at Drayton Park – you told me the other day 😉

59. gnarleygeorge9 says:

chary

🙂

3-1 is my updated scoreline

60. Gooner in Exile says:

First up cracking post Chary, although you now have me worried thinking of Fellaini and Cahill, and the possible damage that Heitinga could do to the remaining 3 of the TheoVan Nasregas combo.

I too think we should probably use Arsh out on the left tonight, Theo on the right. When the game is won, we can bring on NB or Chamack to get more game time.

@RedArse, are you really surprised that pundits don’t know what they’re talking about re VAT on Transfers. Personally I don’t see the point in VAT on players as like you say eventually the HMRC is no better off and there has been a merry go round of money (and paperwork) in the meantime. RR: exempt sales surely Torres cost is specifically for Standard/Zero Rated sales, unless PL prize money and such are VAT Exempt?

@Rasp I put Chamack’s dip in form down to being physically tired, he probably played a lot more games than expected in the first half of the season, expect he is getting a rest, and needs some games to get back to his best.

61. London says:

Ah yes that is what I was going to say.

Rasp

You can trace the last time that Chamakh was regarded as playing well to the game when RVP first returned. All was well with the Moroccan, enter the Boy Wonder and Chamakh has never put in a reassured performance since. Make of it what you will.

62. Carlito11 says:

Peaches/ Chary- is the pub not called “Drayton Park”? It’s not the one I meant when we were chatting on Sunday Peaches, but I think it’s the one opposite the big ARSENAL letters…

63. charybdis1966 says:

OK, Peaches/Carlitto – Peachy has my mobile so I’ll find you guys in the end.

G’night Gnarley.

64. Carlito11 says:

I think we’ll spank the Toffees tonight. RvP and the rest of the A team will just be too fluid for Everton. I’m going for 4-0 if Sz starts or 4-1 if Jose plays!

65. Geoff Strong says:

Billy Joel’s “Goodnight Saigon” just came up on my ipod, the following verse could have been written for the Arsenal :

“Remember Charlie, remember Baker
    They left their childhood on every acre
    And who was wrong? And who was right, right, right, right?
    It didn’t matter in the thick of the fight”

Any other songs that have unintentional Arsenal references ?

66. charybdis1966 says:

Anyone else laugh at Spuds being labelled “insulting and disrespectful” for their last minute bid for Charlie Adam ?

What a bunch of mugs they are, no class whatsoever.

At least in a few years they won’t be our neighbours anymore and the only NLD we’ll have will be if we meet Barnet in the FA Cup.

67. 26may1989 says:

Chary, it was amusing to hear Harry bleat on about how great a player Charlie Adam is – I think he’s just got a compulsive desire to be interviewed by Sky Sports while sitting in his car at the training ground in Chigwell, or wherever Spurs personnel run to when they want to escape N17. If he actually thought Adam was that good, why didn’t he go for him when Rangers offloaded him for £500k? Dickhead.

68. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I am not too keen on boring the arses of all non accountants on AA, so I will limit my response to your 12:09 as follows.

First, I do not want to fall into my own bear trap as I know nothing of Chelsea’s income streams, so with that proviso;

— Where a football club, which is registered for VAT, receives exempt income known as “Outputs” (e.g. rental income from a building where the option to elect to tax has not been taken), it is said to be partially exempt.

In effect this means that the club will not be allowed to recover all the VAT “inputs” it incurs on related expenditure.

other examples of exempt outputs (Income) might be perimeter advertising, hire of facilities, letting of property (where the option to tax has not been taken) etc.

So, (for example) if the exempt outputs to which taxable inputs are directly related comprises 2% of the total outputs, the club would only be able to recover 98% of the input VAT. (et seq).

The result is that the effect on VAT recoverability is likely to be negligible, if any.

My original point still holds, whether the VAT incurred is in addition to the £50m for Torres, it would have little effect as most or all of the input VAT (Chelsea) would be recoverable.

For Liverpool, the output VAT charged on the sale of Torres (say £10m) is due to HMRC subject to the deduction of directly attributable input VAT.

If there was another player included as a makeweight the “bartering” rule applies.

I think that is probably more than enough! 🙂 Sorry I mentioned it now! 🙂

69. 26may1989 says:

Good one RA, it’s the way you tell them!

70. charybdis1966 says:

Twitchy does like the attention a heck of a lot 26May. Maybe it’s the lure of show biz that he gets from his son that does it to him.
    I bet he wears make up before his press conferences.
    He is, as you say, a dickhead.

71. harry says:

totally agree aa23 must start, he needs the managers vote tonight with nasri out, if doesnt start, he will be gutted.
    I might manage to be able to meet up with you guys before the game as well, which would be good. Can rasp / peaches email me a contact number and i’ll call you to see where you are meeting up.
    On train@mo rushing to get home from london to get to london!!!!mad……

Massive game tonight, 3 pts or bust, pace tempo, and committment required and a loud crowd……

72. Harry – I’ve emailed you a mobile no

73. Red Arse says:

I think he would have been happy with a fixed “no”, Peaches! 🙂

74. London says:

My prediction is 2-1 to the good guys and an upset at Old Trafford.

75. 26may1989 says:

On a personal note re tonight’s game, Everton was the first team I supported. Which in 1970s North London was a fairly eccentric choice, but I grew up in a non-football house and there was a lad at my school who had moved down from Merseyside and had a Toffees shirt. That greatly impressed me, so I decided that was my team too.

And so it was for one season, until I realised Everton was at the end of the known universe and I probably wouldn’t ever go there (I was wrong on that one). So I looked into the local teams: Spurs and Arsenal. I was born round the corner from the Arse, so that was my team. Turned out to be a crap choice for most of the 80s, when I started to go to games, but have never seriously regretted my choice.

However, I hold onto the memory of my one season as a Toffee, aged six. But I still want us to stuff them this eve!

As Harry says, massive game tonight. But then they all are now aren’t they?

76. charybdis1966 says:

Ok, off now, see some of you chaps at the game.

Tootle pip.

77. Red Arse says:

Thanks for the appreciation of my VAT comment.

I had to go and lie down (again) as I realised I would normally have charged the Chavs and Pool £400 each for that. 🙂

I’m surprised you did not remonstrate with me for not pointing out that HMRC are right, in principle, to insist on complete VAT charging/documentation by both clubs.

Because, of course, if Pool’s Vat inputs were less than their Torres Vat outputs, the difference would be properly payable to HMRC. 🙂 Thank you, I think! 🙂

78. Red Arse says:

My 4:10 was addressed to 26 ….. who else? 🙂

79. Red Arse says:

Bye CharyB,

Enjoy the game! 🙂

London,

You got there before me. Tonight is going to be a close thing at the Ems with the good guys scraping it, but I too believe that Manu’s undeserved unbeaten run will be terminated by Villa tonight.

81. 26may1989 says:

A little titbit for you: in all comps, we’re on our longest run of games without scoring 4 goals or more since 1 Nov 2008 to 16 Feb 2009 (22 games), now on 15 games since beating Villa on 27 Nov.

82. Carlito11 says:

Good titbit that 26M- I stand by my predictions of earlier ;-)Off to the ground now- COYRRG!

83. SharkeySure says:

Good informative post Chary !! Cheers.

Its the Meerkat at LW for me though.

YOU never quite knowwhat you;re gonna get from Evertonon any given day, but with them busting their guts on Sat, I’m going for 3-0

84. 26may1989 says:

Here’s a trivia challenge I just failed on: name the 11 players who have won the PL and are the only players of their nationality to have done so.

(There’s at least one potential addition to the 11 quoted to me, so it may actually be 12.)

85. Red Arse says:

26,

That’s hard!

Slater; Wreh, Kuzack, Park Ji Sung, Yorke, Luzhny,
    Schmeikel, Berbatov, Essien, Gudjohnson, Forlan,
    Manninger.

Probably bollox! 🙂

86. 26may1989 says:

You cheated RA, typical accountant!

87. Gooner in Exile says:

Never apologise about getting all accountant like on here RA, I share your profession.

With the Exempt VAT I thought it was only the general inputs (ie those that can’t be split/attributed to one income stream or an other) I would have assumed Letting etc would not be dependent on football). However it’s all semantics as Arsenal fans we will never have to worry about our VAT burden on player transfers.

East Anglian Railways have me behind schedule already 😦

88. 26may1989 says:

I have to retract RA, you are a trivia god – in fact, there were just 11 (I said Stepanovs for 2002, but unsurprisingly, he didn’t play enough games to get a PL winner’s medal). You got all 11 in your 12 names, but Slater wasn’t the only Aussie (Bosnich being the other).

All hail RA.

89. London says:

It always makes me chuckle (in an endearing way) when people confess to earlier transgressions “Forgive me Father but I supported Everton for one season when I was eight” Say ten Arsène Wengers and five Lady Ninas and don’t bloody well do it again (said in Irish accent).
    26 you got away lightly the amount of confessions to spud parentage on this site is scary. Lol.
    I’m off to the game.

90. Red Arse says:

26,

Your obeisance is noted! 🙂 I worked out there were only 4 teams who had won the EPL, discounted the English, Welsh and Irish players and guessed!!!

Manninger and Forlan were !inspired! guesses!!

GIE, I guessed you were a fellow figure fiddler! 🙂

99% of the rest of the population know sod all about VAT law and could care less.

While admitting I know bugger all about Chelsea’s finances, I was trying to keep my explanations to a minimum without allowing a certain lawyer to jump on me!!! 🙂

Imagine footy journalists getting their knickers in a twist over something they know nothing about! 🙂

91. 26may1989 says:

“Say ten Arsène Wengers and five Lady Ninas”, superb! Enjoy London.

92. Red Arse says:

26,

Thinking about it, I don’t think Bosnich qualified for a medal. Reinstate Slater you devil! 🙂

93. 26may1989 says:

Can’t find better authority than Wiki right now to rebut you RA, but two pages there say you’re wrong, and Mark “Where’s my charlie” Bosnich did get a medal in the United squad of 1999-2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_players_with_a_Premier_League_winner's_medal and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bosnich.

So there.

And no, I haven’t just edited those pages, how dare you suggest such a thing.

Any way, I’m off, hopefully the Arse, Sunderland and Villa win this eve. And Vela scores a hattrick for the Baggies.

94. Red Arse says:

Oh alright 26. I hope the same as you! 🙂

Leeds, Ipswich and Huddersfield are ok, but Everton in the league, now I am excited. Level 4.

Rosicky to start? Can it be true?

Bloody Cinders here at home alone again, while all you ugly brothers are at the sodding ball!

98. Irishgunner says:

My man is back 🙂

C’mon Mozart, show ’em what your made of.

99. Irishgunner says:

I’ll keep you company MIDI 😉

100. SharkeySure says:

I’m gobsmacked that Rosicky starts…I really am.

No offence Irish !

Ah the Belle of the Ball has arrived. Not you Sharkey!

102. Irishgunner says:

Ha ha so am I actually cos he has been very off form of late.

103. SharkeySure says:

It aint the fucking key that it touches an Arsenal defender. As soon as Coleman plays the ball he’s offside !!!

104. Irishgunner says:

Sharkey – Your problem there is expecting the officials to know their jobs…

105. 26may1989 says:

I couldn’t be there tonight but a couple of quotes from the BBC re the Everton goal:

“Everton goal: It’s a shocker, an absolute shocker. Everton lead, but Louis Saha is a good yard offside when Seamus Coleman puts him through to flash home a fine finish into the corner. Referee Lee Mason gives the goal, consults his assistant Stephen Child, and stands by his decision. Arsenal are livid.”

“Chief football writer Phil McNulty at the Emirates: ‘Pandemonium at The Emirates and understandably so. Everton take the lead through Louis Saha but the striker was yards offside. The crowd’s reaction prompted consultation between the officials but the goal stands. Everton must beware here because Arsenal’s fans – understandably angry – are now applying pressure over every decision.'”

106. SharkeySure says:

Ref goes over here’s whats happened, and still gives a goal. WTF

107. 26may1989 says:

We need some foreign referees and linos, English ones are crap.

108. SharkeySure says:

*hears*

I simply CANNOT believe we wont win this. Sorry Irish, but it has to be Ros off and AA on. Or should that be Bendy!!

110. 26may1989 says:

Is Rosicky playing badly?

Is he playing, more like!!!!

i told you he was shot,months ago.

has this ref ever heard of the advantage rule

goooaaaaaaallllll

COME ON YOU REDS

GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOaaaaaaaaaaaaal again

116. Irishgunner says:

CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAMMONE

COME ON YOU REDS
    Well it worked last time!!

bendtner for number 3

yeesssssssss fantastic

I am so so happy. Absolutely brilliant

121. gnarleygeorge9 says:

The Bloody Beauty!!!!!! or

Chamone 🙂

122. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Good ol’ G & D

Well done to the Little Russian. Thanx comrad 😈

123. gnarleygeorge9 says:

…….& the home fans sounded sensational.

Substitutes were all excellent. Great fight back from a horrible start. Confidence boosting goal for AA. Can Diaby make a difference for the rest of the season? I think so.

125. gnarleygeorge9 says:

We’re gooner win the League! We’re gooner win the League!

koschelny’s goal was an exact replica of last week. well done lads but what cost injury wise.

127. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Hope Electric Yellow’s thigh injury isn’t too bad otherwise I’m going to have a great day @ work. I love days like this 😆

Yo Micky

Gnarley,
    Have a breakfast beer on me. In fact let me get a blog round in. Where’s the bloomin’ landlord when you need him?

129. Irishgunner says:

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMONE

😀

Electric Yellow, as you call him, has turned the wattage up. Nice and bright!

131. dandan says:

I didnt say it but I thought a very bad word about the ref LOL

You must be a saint to have thought only one bad, dandan 🙂

133. SharkeySure says:

I hate that very same bad word DD and generally try my hardest to avoid it. I had a few over the last 90mins. My blood was boiling at one point.

I was so stunned by the corruptness at every turn of this ref.

Rodwell’s non card for stopping Fabs breakaway was pretty incredible. Even the one eyed dope Tony Gale wanted a card for that one.

134. dandan says:

LOL Micky, aint gonna admit to nuffink

135. SharkeySure says:

I had a quick peek at the other site. Every time an Arsenal player hit the deck (Song, Sagna, DJ etc) out came the stonemason’s with their little hammers and chisels carving out an epitaph for Arsenes headstone. Lol

Wot an asylum !!

136. dandan says:

Good game for a neutral, painfull for us Thomas needs a rest AA looked sharp and the goal will do him the world of good

We are 11 points ahead of the spuds, arry wont be appy

137. SharkeySure says:

Great fightback tonight from the Good Guys.

I thought Kozzer was immense tonight (AGAIN!!!), I smell a first French cap coming up, now that its no longer about your star sign or mums middle name.

Pressing Everton and crowding Fellaini worked a treat tonight. Likewise moving Arshavin infield when Nik B came on.

Well played Arsene, well played boys!!

138. dandan says:

Evidently Moys is far from happy, will be interesting to hear him in a minute

139. SharkeySure says:

Agreed DD, you could see the signs with Arshavin over the last ten days or so. I was astonished that he didn’t start, but I guess Arsene figured that he’d be better utilised in the later stages.

140. SharkeySure says:

I hope they ask Moyes if he’d still think it was a valid goal at his end.

141. dandan says:

Moyes is mad as hell, says Cesc should have been sent off in the tunnel for what he said about the ref at half time

142. SharkeySure says:

About the ref, not to the ref..??

Talk about clutching at straws !!

143. SharkeySure says:

Got to share this cracker with you guys:

Keyser says:
    February 1, 2011 at 21:46
    F***ing doom addicts, itching, scratching themselves all over, shivering waiting for another hit.

Brilliant. I always used to confuse Kelsey and Keyser over there

Winning is very good. MoM Kos, but my secret piece of optimism for the season is about Diaby.
    Have to say nite all.

145. dandan says:

To the Ref it seems. He also said the goal was well offside. But the game changed in the tunnel?? I cant see where he is comming from. If the ref gave a penalty maybe, but what the heck we won

146. SharkeySure says:

Sagna prob ran him close MIDI, or should I just say also played very well.

In fact it was one of those nights where no-one in red had me groaning. Diaby occasionally looked sluggish or a little sloppy, but not too much. He’ll be fine

147. Gooner in Exile says:

Mason was crap from 1st minute to last.

The goal was an atrocious decision, naughty boys in charge of video replay tonight who allowed the goal to be replayed in the ground, bedlam!!!!

But it wasn’t like Mason got any better gave 2 minutes injury time in the first half despite Howard taking forever to take goal kicks and Artera taking a breather on his arse every time he was touched.

Still bad decisions and non bookings in the second half despite Wilshere being booked for the most innocuous challenge in the early stages.

Somehow Mason found 5 minutes injury time at the end. Moyes should wind his neck in if he thinks anything Cesc said changed his mind.

Great fightback against 12 men, GET IN.

148. Evening all

Just in from a really rocking Emirates, that ref had better watch his back on the way out – he was atrocious!!!!!!

149. Anyone fancy the match report?

150. SharkeySure says:

Peaches, I don’t give him much chance of surviving if he’s got that blind linesmen as a lookout !!

151. Carlito11 says:

Cracking game! If the ref was nobbled it went against whoever allegedly bribed him because the crowd got on his back and were absolutely tremendous! Top fighting win!

152. 🙂 good point Sharkey, the place went mad when Everton scored – Cesc was doing his nut. Mind you we’d been nicely warmed up after the ref gave Jack a yellow in the 5th minute just after some guy had laid him out and he retaliated 😀

Thats the spirit 😆

153. Gooner in Exile says:

I would offer to write match report but I’m afraid I won’t be able to contain expletives if I have to write about the ref!!

And the second excuse is I’ll be home past midnight. Could have been a much worse journey tho.

154. harry says:

On train on the way home, fully satisfied after arsenal fought back against a filthy cheating everton fully supported and aided by Lee not fit to ref Mason and his sidekicks steve wonder and ray charles….
    Great to meet rasp, peaches, carlito and chary……..

155. OK, I’m going to bed, maybe the fairies will bring me a match report 😉

156. Wonderman says:

Just got back from the game. That has got to be the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen !!!!

157. 26may1989 says:

Have just watched the game. Don’t let anyone say that was anything other than offside. Under Law 11, a player is offside if he “gains an advantage” from being in an offside position. “Gaining an advantage” is explained in the FIFA handbook as including “playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position”. There is even a diagram (diagram 12 on page 107 of the Handbook) that fits the position Caldwell, Saha and Koscielny were in perfectly.

I don’t blame Lee Mason for the specific decision, he had to rely on his linesman, but the linesman could not have been more wrong. It was 100%, nailed on offside, and they simply shouldn’t make that mistake when a player is two yards offside.

For anyone who actually wants to check this, here’s a link: http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/LOTG201011.ashx/LOTG201011.pdf

As for the rest of Mason’s performance, absolutely woeful. Playing an advantage? No, won’t bother with that. Booking Arsenal players for minor fouls? Yup. Not booking Everton players for cynically stopping an attack? Nope. Missing a number of fouls on Arsenal players? Sure.

But a great, gutsy performance from the boys tonight, the stuff we can feed off for a while. Everton played very well and beating them took a lot.

Am worried re Song though, hope that injury isn’t serious.

158. Gooner in Exile says:

Just home from the match. Treated Norwich Train St to a rendition of “He’s five foot four”.

Such a great finish I was right behind the line of it, exquisite. Hopefully he’ll kick on.

And we even went a bit 4-4-2 when NikB came on.

159. Gooner in Exile says:

Anyone else think ‘Arry might be a little peeved that Levy hasn’t let him bankrupt them.

Talk about clutching at straws, Forlan, Aguero, Chatlie Adam, Phil Neville and now Rossi (who they allegedly offered £35million for). Someone better tell ‘Arry to look over to the Grove and see how you keep a side in CL football whilst financing a new stadium, oh well just the one season then ‘Arry, enjoy it and we’ll expect to see you waving goodbye to Spuds when exactly? My bet is September/October 2011.

Re Song’s injury

“He cannot walk. I don’t know what he has got. He was kicked, I think it was by Koscielny, he knocks out everybody in our team. So we have to see how he responds to that in the next days, but he cannot walk at the moment.” Wenger said..

Though unfortunate a rather amusing comment.

Carlito has offered to write a match report but it will be a bit later than usual.

Hi kelsey – seems like kosser is a bit of a thug then, takes the pressure off Diaby 😉

162. Gooner in Exile says:

Looked like a dead leg from where we were. Tried to run it off. The biggest worry would be bone bruising.

I personally think it was one of the Everton players, they were masters of the dark arts yesterday, especially Heiringa and Fellaini.

Morning GiE,

I agree. I thought Everton were dirty last night, particularly the systematic fouling of Cesc by the whole team. They were clever in the way they shared out the yellows by taking it in turns to kick him.

The ref did not punish a blatant foul on Jack early on and then carded LJ straight away when he stupidly sought retribution. LJ has to control himself, but if the ref had made the right decision in the first place Wilshere would not have been carded.

164. Wonderman says:

Morning all,

I am dumbfounded as to how Lee Mason gets to be a premier league ref in the first place never mind remain one. I think I counted 8 or 9 yellow cards last night and it was never that sort of game. Everton always give you a stern test home and away but I would never call them dirty. But his refusal to allow the advantage of possession after a foul on several occasions only served to help the opposition’s intention of breaking up our tempo.

Saha may as well have been standing next to Chesney he was that far offside. The atmosphere was great last night though

165. Wonderman says:

Hi Rasp

I dont think they were dirty last night, but as you said, I think the ref was not fair in his treatment of fouls and that inflamed the atmosphere. There was no elbows or achilles snapping tackles, no cynical stamping or off the ball incidents. What was amusing was the evaporation of their time wasting when they went behind

166. Hi Wonderman – do you sit in the North Bank? We were over the other side but the North Bank crowd alerted us to the fact that Howard was suddenly racing to put the ball down for goal kicks 🙂

Wonderman, I find it very hard to be fair-minded after what I witnessed last night – but you’re probably correct.

I have moaned aboiut the systematic fouling of Cesc before and it riles me. As a result Cesc is gaining a reputation as being a dirty player, all as a result (IMO) of refs not protecting him by simply applying the rules of the game.

New post ….

169. internetradio…

[…]Enter the Toffees « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…