Thank you George Graham & David O’Leary. True Gooners.

Let’s start back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The mere mention of Leeds was certain to cause fear in all but the hardest of Gooners. Leeds were as hard as their fans. Bremner, Giles, Charlton, Hunter etc  were without question the dirtiest side I have ever seen, but let there be no doubt, that side could play great football before they kicked two colours out of the opposition. However, Leeds reputation was even more fearful on the terraces. I recall walking down Avenell Rd sometime in the early ‘70s when the Leeds hooligans rushed through the street kicking children, punching women and beating up anyone foolish enough to wear red and white. It was terrifying and as a consequence I have always hated Leeds with a passion.

There is a need to say that the Leeds management did all they could to eradicate the hooligan element but no football fan was sorry to see Leeds slip down the leagues – it was karma.

We had a rivalry in those days. Leeds v Arsenal was a season highlight. Now, following the destruction of the club by infiltrated Gooners (thank you GG and David O’Leary for taking such sweet and delayed revenge), they are recovering from years of financial chaos and come to the Emirates for their first visit.

I should say now that I know nothing of the current Leeds team – we have no coverage of the Championship in Denmark. Sanchez Watt would appear to be injured which would be a great shame for the lad as AW gave him permission to play. Leeds had a fine run in last season’s FAC, beating Man Utd and drawing with the rabble down the road – they will come with high expectations and Arsenal can be sure of spirited opposition.

Arsenal are unlikely to play a full strength team and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Arsene make 9 changes from the Man City team.

My guess:

Bench: Fabianski  Ramsey Eastmond  Koscielny  Chamakh Clichy

The 3rd round of the FA Cup used to be such an exciting prospect but nowadays it is just an enjoyable interlude from the PL and CL. And yet …. Leeds at home does have a certain frisson to people of  “a certain age”

I hope we spank them …..

COYRRG

93 Responses to Thank you George Graham & David O’Leary. True Gooners.

Morning,

Thanks for another stylish pre-match Raddy.

I doubt AW will play as strong a team as you list. I hope he doesn’t play Cesc and starts with Ramsey. I reckon Eastmond will also start with Rosicky playing in AA’s position.

2. Tare says:

Well, different point of view;

I watched in Finnish TV Sniffer’s GOAL against Arse in Final 1972 and I never looked back. Reputation of Whites has always been manipulated by the London Press and it will go on if doubtful happens.

Tare

Thanks Raddy for a great read – love how GG and O’Leary have exacted revenge on 70’s Leeds 😉

I’m looking forward to giving Rambo a huge cheer and hope that whatever 2nd string AW puts out, they have enough to win today. I love the FA cup and now that we have the strongest squad in the Prem we should be competing for everything.

4. Arsenal *CL Winners 2011* says:

I hope Arsene plays his weakest team possible today and on Wednesday.There are two competitions that matter – the PL and the CL. The FA Cup and Carling Cup are irrelevant and I couldn’t care less if we lose today.

5. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting team Raddy.

Personally I’d like to see JET and Eastmond start, especially if about to go out on loan in JETs case.

We could also start Chamack? Is that why he didn’t play against City?

6. Lasse says:

Let`s face it, Leeds were the best team in England from 1968 – 1974 and the London Press have never acknowledged that. The description of Revie`s Super Leeds have always been “were without question the dirtiest side in english football” and then they could play some great football. Harvey, Reaney, Hunter, Charlton, Cooper, Giles, Bremner, E Gray, Lorimer, Clarke, Cooper were all top class footballers and should have won more trophies than they did.

7. SharkeySure says:

Szczesny, Eboue, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs, Denilson, Song, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh, Bendtner

Subs: Fabregas, Vela, Walcott, Ramsey, Clichy, Miquel, Fabianski

Much stronger team and bench than I expected.

Back at H/t

8. Irishgunner says:

Decent team by Wenger – Denilson and Song should allow TR7 and AA23 plenty of space.

I have tomorrow’s post covered – one of my rare contributions.

Thanks Irish, I’ll look forward to reading you description of our stylish victory 😛

The Leeds side of the 70’s was very good but they’d end up with 5 men on the pitch if they played in today’s game.

Lasse. Well, I got 9 out of 11 of the team correct!

That Leeds were a decent team is undisputed but which team won the only Double between 69 – 74?

I’m not sure I’d have played Eboue – we don’t need him getting injured.

Dull start from both teams. Leeds going route 1, and our passing game not working ….. yet

AA should have hit it 10 yards earlier.

Nice save from Chesney

I like the look of that team Sharkey. I might have been tempted to give Song a rest (but I guess he’ll get that for the Ipswich game) but otherwise this is a very strong (mostly) second 11.

I guess you have to be of a certain age to really feel the frisson of playing Leeds. I must confess to having some admiration for their ’70s side (my Dad was Johnny Giles’s cousin, so I think he had a soft spot for them which no doubt influenced me). But I have some good memories of going to away wins at Elland Road (and of being there for Limpar’s great goal in the FA Cup in ’91) – running the gauntlet of the Leeds ‘smash yer face in fans’ and the equally unpleasant ‘smash yer face in’ West Yorkshire police.

Mind you, I also have the bad memory of being there for the midweek defeat to O’Leary’s side which ended our title hopes in (’99?).

Right here we go…

COYRRG

Ah yes RL. That was the day Nutty got injured and Leeds scored at the near post where he would have been (was Vivas the sub?)

Is it just me, or is Bendy just never going to make it as a first teamer? He is just half a second too slow, and his touch isn’t good enough.

It will be a miracle if we end up without at least one injury. The Leeds players keep making ‘Championship tackles’. Our players are jumping out of tackles to avoid follow through injury although Chamakh wasn’t that lucky.

What a complete pile of crap. Goal.com is one of the worst sites for getting hits at the expense of the truth

Actually don’t click on the link, we don’t want to give the morons any more hits for publishing this rubbish.

19. Gooner in Exile says:

Good game of football so far. Seems like a pretty good balance to the team.

Like to see one of the central midfielders push on a little bit.

20. Irishgunner says:

Djourou has been our best player for me. I’m a bit excited about Vermaelen coming back and them being our first choice CB pairing – could be exciting.

Gibbs, Denilson doing well. Arshavin looks bored. Some nice passes from Rosicky but not as influential as Nasri or Cesc would be.

Nice if Rambo would come on at half time for Song. He’d be eager to do well.

They have been one or two very dodgy tackles by Leeds but they have made some good last ditch tackles, but then we’ve been slow.

21. SharkeySure says:

I think you’re right Raddy. Definitely Vivas at fault, and guaranteed that Nutty would have prevented it.

I really liked Vivas as a player.

Like you I can’t remember if Nutty was injured before or during the game.

22. SharkeySure says:

Rasp, I think Nik B should only play thru the middle where he can be a handful. With his lack of acceleration, leaving the centre or playing on the wings does him no favours.

His touch has been really awful so far.

From the first half I can only praise Djourou…he’s been tremendous. Everyone else has huffed and puffed a bit but just not shown the quality that we expect from Arsenal players.

I’m sure we’ll step it up 2nd half.

23. SharkeySure says:

I an Songs biggest fan, but he looks a little lost today. Well not lost, but uncertain, or unsure of his role.

He revels in playing with Jack and Cesc, and today our MF 3 seems to lack fluidity and the interchanging of position that we normally see.

24. Gooner in Exile says:

In fairness to Nik B he did show some quick feet creating half a yard for himself in the area, but generally looks weak out on the touchline.

25. Red Arse says:

You are so upbeat, no one seems as disappointed as I am with the performance so far. We must do better in the second half!

Bendy has confirmed he has lead boots and no control coupled with the speed of a tortoise.

Rasp, sorry but I would not be sorry to see the back of Eboue.

I am going to will the ball into the net!!

I really don’t know what’s happened to Song so far – he’s like the Song of 4 years ago.

27. Irishgunner says:

Make some changes Arsene FFS.

Silly from Denilson.

The question is whether AW will take the FAC seriosly and put on Cesc and TW.

What has happened to Chamakh? Just a few weeks ago he looked so good and today he looks lost.

29. dandan says:

Leeds oh Boy they were hard games. Gary Sprake was absolutely terrified of Bobby Gould corners were always great fun. Sprake spent more time watching Gouldy than the ball.
    Johnny Giles arguably one of the hardest players I have seen, but a real player none the less.

Hunter versus Storey Oh dear me that would give a modern Ref a heart attack.

Hard matches but good times until their a section of fans started to emulate them. They were evil and rightly despised throughout the country.

Clear penalty on NB.

Arshavin is having a terrible game

31. Neamman says:

Come on my little and large. Theo an Nic save us!!!

32. Irishgunner says:

Great cameo by Theo.

As bad as Nikki B’s touch was at least he kept trying, as for Arshavin 🙄

33. dandan says:

BR It has been evident for some time that AA should be on his way. Theo terrified them, We needed a replay like a centipede needs foot-rot.

34. SharkeySure says:

Some players really did themselves no favours today !!!

Nik B lives for good crosses doesn’t he..??

Big Johan. Masterful, absolutely masterful !! Wot a player.

35. dandan says:

How many headers did Nikki waste.

36. Gooner in Exile says:

Well done to the lads for the fight back…Leeds approach to the game put City and Mancini’s tactics to shame.

Do you think we can get Vic Akers to put a piece of elastic between Denilsons socks so he can’t stick his legs out so much?

Again tho we may have rolled over last season and felt sorry for ourselves but we put up a fight today.

Lots of empty seats for a sold out game which was disappointing.

37. SharkeySure says:

Got to be happy to still be in the Cup after the poor display by so many today, not that any of us would have wanted a replay of course.

What I saw today was players who are clearly not good enough for AFC first team.

We were playing with half a team.

Bendtner, Eboue, Arshavin, Squillaci, Rosicky, Chamakh were poor, and in the case of AA, Chamakh and Eboue, very poor.

Even Song was lacklustre today.

Once again we saw how important Fabregas is to the team

Still we lucked a draw and are still “in the hat”.

39. SharkeySure says:

Respectfully disagree with you there GiE. During the game I thought Leeds had offered way more than City ever did. They sat back once they’d scored which is fair do’s in my book.

I also felt that no Leeds players time wasted too much, even at 0-1. City on Weds were rolling over and feigning injury at every half opportunity.

Agree re the fight shown though. Commendable.

40. dandan says:

Maybe that performance will convince AW to make a few changes. Our finishing was woeful and their GK on song, our midfield passing far to casual.

All in all we did not cover ourselves with glory.

Fantastic save at the end by Schmeichel from Denilson. I was sure he has scored

42. Red Arse says:

BR,

This is no surprise; but I could not agree with you more.

How can such a brilliant manager not see the truth in what you say??

43. Red Arse says:

I’ll be back tomorrow.

It is not wise to say too much after a game like that!

Huge relief we are still in with a shout. The last 10 minutes was excellent, lots of effort, but the dross before that ….?

44. Irishgunner says:

What we did see today was TWO very good young keepers.

I agree Irish.

I wonder what’s going on with Chamakh. I wouldn’t think he was subbed because he was tired. I may have to try to look up some vids of him playing with Bordeaux because he really doesn’t play like a striker except when he’s in the box for headers. For me, a striker is a player who looks to get away a shot whenever he’s in possession in or around the box. Apart from his lack of aerial ability, I’d say Theo has more striker’s instincts than Chamakh.

Anyway, we live to fight again 🙂 Every game we learn a bit more about our players – even if it is the conclusions that Raddy has drawn (none of which I disagree with!).

47. Gooner in Exile says:

I think we’re singing from the same songsheet Sharkey, i meant put City to shame in the fact that they played with the complete opposite mentality

It was an enjoyable game to watch.

I think some are being a little harsh on the team, with some better finishing by Arshavin and Bendtner we could have been at least 2-0 up before their penalty, and yet again a few individual moments of sloppiness let us down…i’m looking at you Deni! I like Denilson and I’m one of his biggest apologists but he really must do better in that position in our own area. Fair on the lad he nearly clinched it for us at the end.

Djourou was great, Theo made a big impact as you would expect against a tired Championship full back, fantastic save by Scezny from Becchio, but his kicking appears a little fluffy at times, all in all he commands his box and looks imposing. Gibbs was tireless getting forward and good in the tackle.

I think some of the players who looked poor today look better when fitting into the first team, rather than starting with others who have not had a lot of football lately.

We didn’t look like losing for 60minutes and it looked only a matter of time before we scored and then we conceded a penalty and had to fight to get back, which they did eventually.

48. Irishgunner says:

Chamakh was never brought in as an out and out striker. We knew from his time at Bordeaux that he missed a lot of sitters and hasn’t a great goal to game ratio. What he does offer is headed goals, and he is an out ball, very strong and works very hard.

49. Gooner in Exile says:

Just saw about our anticipated signing of Hazard (maybe at end of the season) who else is up for a swap deal for Arshavin before January is out?

50. SharkeySure says:

GiE. Apologies…just read your comment again… with both eyes open this time !!!

GIE. That would be good and will give AA an opportunity to have a swansong in Russia

Ooops…. what I meant was that we buy Hazard and sell AA to CSKA or Zenit

53. London says:

Djourou: man of the match by some distance; the man oozed class.

Song was under instructions to play the DM role: just hold the fort, don’t wear yourself out and when we are ahead you will be replaced by Ramsey. The problem was that we were not ahead so he had to be replaced by Fàbregas in the hope of redressing the balance. But it is interesting to see people’s reaction when he plays the bog standard DM role, the one that many have been crying out for him to return to, all of a sudden I sense those same people are starting to realise the value of his more attack minded role?

There is nothing wrong with Chamakh; Wenger knows he is fine the problem is Bendtner: my guess is that Wenger feels he needs a run of games hence the Dane stayed on and the Moroccan went off.

I had the pleasure of Peaches sitting behind me today accompanied by Rasp’s charming daughter…….we toned the swearing down, best really.

54. London says:

Good post as ever BR

The frustration with Arshavin has moved up from groans to collective loud shouts of you lazy b. Pick your own words you know what I mean. Personally I thought he played perfectly well today.

Well, that was a great game for our ‘First Team’. I don’t think any of the starting 11 v Chelsea, Brum and Man City will be worried about their places.

But that said, I don’t think the performance was as bad as some people seem to be saying. We weren’t fluid, but then this is a team that doesn’t normally play together, full of players who don’t get regular games and therefore don’t get to improve their form (look how it has been with Cesc, Theo and RvP taking time to rediscover their touch after a lay-off). With that in mind, I’m happy with a replay because it, along with the two CC semis, gives our second string a chance to get some form going.

This explains why our so-called Carling Cup team in recent years has performed better than our ‘second string’ in League and FA Cup games. The ‘CC team’ is our youth team who play together all the time. The ‘Second String’ is made up mostly of bench warmers and irregular starters.

I think it’s a bit harsh to expect them to play with the same fluidity as the First Team.

London. I admire your positivity but must respectfully disagree. AA cannot be accused of lack of effort but he can of lack of quality. From the easy one on one with the GK to a consistent inability to control the ball (very unlike AA) he had a stinker.

As you say JD was MoTM for us. Another fine performance

I know Arsh had a stinker but I hate to see the crowd getting on the back of one of our players like that.

RL. Fair points, particularly about the replay

RL. Me too, do they think it will encourage the player?

60. Gooner in Exile says:

London, reckon you could be right regarding Arshavin, he is annoying me at the moment but when he took the ball with his head (not scared of a head high foot coming towards him) and then played in Walcott I am reminded of how good he can be. (and scratching my head in dismay even more)

It also seems when he gets the ball he is either in a rush to get rid of it or holds on to it too long and is forever giving away possession, like you say his confidence is low and everything he tries is not coming good and it is probably effecting him more, he needs one good game and I’m sure we will all get behind him again.

BR – back to an earlier point: you’re right about that Leeds game. Nutty got fouled and had to go off. Nelson Vivas came on for him with about 15 minutes to go and was out of position for their goal (hard to blame him, the famous Back Four had a psychic understanding of each other’s position).

Before the game there was a lot of press speculation about whether O’Leary’s Leeds would take it easy to allow his old club an easy ride to the title. Instead they played out of their skins (although we were still really unlucky to lose. They would never have scored if Nutty had stayed on. And Kaba Diarra got about 10 shots on target, all of which were saved, hit a defender or hit the woodwork).

62. Red Arse says:

It must be tomorrow already! 🙂

Had to come back to say that the boo-ing of AA was disgraceful.

He was having an off game, but the baying of the crowd only made matters worse.

The fans reaction, caused by frustration with the team performance, was negative and disloyal to someone who on his day can score or make priceless goals for us.

I cringed for him because the more the abuse, the worse he became. That’s not on! 😦

Been watching Kyle Bartley play for Sheff Utd. He is having a good game and looks a decent prospect

64. Irishgunner says:

Post is in drafts.

Sunderland knocked out at home by Notts County.

65. London says:

When was Arshavin booed?

66. Irishgunner says:

It was more massive sighs and I’m sure expletives than boos.

People looked very very upset with AA on the TV shots

London,

Playing the DM role doesn’t make a player more likely to misplace simple passes which is what Song did a couple of times and set them up right in front of our back four. When he realised he was being subbed, he was visibly relieved. Either he just had a bad day at the office or for some reason he wasn’t happy to play – maybe tired?

69. ryandanielwood says:

I’m no boo boy myself, but big Nic was very very wasteful today, I didn’t see a lot come off for AA but in his case, a real shining performance is always around the corner for him I’m sure. Maybe with the drive and progress of the team’s bid for some glory this year, any 2-3 match slumps are criticised more severely?

As for the transfer talk, I think I’d be quite perplexed if AA was sold over Nic, or at least before!

I love to get behind the entire team, but like any fan it’s difficult not have your favourite players and formations, the Van-nas-regas force is one in particular I think we achieve the maximum we can within 90 minutes.

Fair play to the boys today, they were set back and the response to make it right was as instant as the response from the bench to enable it.

You couldn’t hear AA being booed on the TV. I’d hoped the days of booing our own players are over. Most supporters at the Emirates must know we are being accused of lacking passion, surely that is enough to motivate the crowd. I know of 2 or 3 in particular (mentioning no names 😛 ) at the game today who were singing their hearts out.

71. London – it was lovely to meet up with you again and sorry if us girlies cramped your style 😉 Nice to meet Benwell and Alfa and wife too.

Certainly didn’t hear any booing of AA, as Irish says probably more ‘massive sighs’

Whether he was booed or not, his play was sub-standard today.

During the 95 minutes there was perhaps 10 minutes at most of Wengerball. Our passes were often behind the man, our offensive heading was dire, crosses were lacking pace and accuracy, we struggled for pace until Theo came on and got outfought in the attacking areas.

There was no lack of effort just a lack of cohesion which as RL says needs pitch time. We live to fight on…

73. Statics says:

I believe fabregas ‘shout’ after he scored the penalty reveal how frustated he istowards the lack of support from the fans.

How can somebody declared themselves as the Arsenal fans when the only things they did was cursing and swearing to their own players?

BTW. Fairplay to Leeds upon a fine performance. Had they left with a win it would have been well deserved.

They have some fine players, in particular in midfield. Once again O’Brien showed what a fine CB he is.

75. Irishgunner says:

Oh FFS Theo.

Saw some tweets on twitter saying he has admitted he was willing to go down easy to get the penalty. Don’t say stuff like that Theo 🙄

76. Irishgunner says:

Speaking after the game Walcott said: “I thought [Dowd] did give the penalty to be honest. I just want to apologise to the managers, I actually dived trying to win the penalty.
    “I said to one of their players would you have done it if it was the last few minutes and he said he I probably would have done it.
    “I’m not the sort of player to do it, I own up to that and I apologise for that. It’s one of those things that I don’t like to see in my game. I’ve heard some people say if you feel just a slight touch you should go down so it can work both ways.
    “I’m not happy with myself for doing that but I’m happy that we got the draw in the end. [Alex Bruce] was fine about it. Whether he knew if it was a penalty I don’t know but I said sorry I’m trying to win the game. I had a little bit of a laugh and a joke with the referee afterwards saying that’s the first dive I’ve ever done can you tell?”

I am stunned at Wlacott’s naivety. Wenger will be furious

78. London says:

OK, so Arshavin wasn’t booed.

There were loud sighs and a few loud exasperated FFSs.

My point was that the sighs have now evolved into vocal exasperation.

Peaches

It was nice to see you again and you certainly didn’t cramp anyone’s style…..I never swear…..ever lol

79. London says:

Hi Irish

Did he say that on telly?

I certainly heard it on the radio London. The stupid thing is that there was contact and so the penalty was merited.

81. Irishgunner says:

London – It was played on talksport of all places.

Rasp – He was talking about the first one that wasn’t given for offside. I remember him going over to Bruce after it and laughing a bit.

82. Gooner in Exile says:

Theo’s commenting on the non penalty isn’t he? The tackle by Bruce wasn’t given.

The one we did get he tried to stay on his feet, so I don’t know if I have much problem with what he said. Altho won’t help “always cheating” taunts.

Leeds being given a whole end showed what is missing from the Grove a bank of fans willing to sing, the sound didn’t seem to disappear in to the ether.

Perhaps we shouldpetition the club to give us free for all ticketing in lower tier at least to allow fans to gather together.

Hi GiE,

A pal of mine recently sat in the lower area behind the goal next to the away fans for the chav game and he (along with everyone else) stood up and sang throughout the game without being hassled by stewards. Obviously the stwewards can’t force the away fans to sit down as being banned from the Emirates isn’t a threat to them. It’s interesting that that leniency extends to the adjacent home fans.

84. Gooner in Exile says:

Free for all as in not being allocated a seat not free as in cost

85. How come the away supporters are allowed to stand throughout the game – health and safety issues don’t apply to them?

The Red Action area seemed to be standing too but not able to generate as much noise or maybe as Rasp says the noise doesn’t travel as from where I sit I can see lots of scarf waving but not hear much noise.

86. gnarleygeorge9 says:

London

I guess all the euphoria from 2 days ago has slipped back into the stock standard moan about things not being quite right 😆

9 changes to the starting 11, but the scapegoat is Arshavin again. What sort of momentum/team gelling is bult from making a total of 24 changes in 3 games that have not been lost.

As for sunny GG9. I am taking the positive out of this last ditch stay of execution from the FA Cup. The Arsenal will go all the way & win it & do the Carling Cup double. Watch this space 😎

87. gnarleygeorge9 says:

cricket 😆 we r over it, its time you all got over Ashburton Grove Stadium (I refuse to use the other name).

There used to be a saying start a movement eat a prune, but in the case of an apparent sterile sounding Ashburton Grove, all those members who sub let out their tickets for convenience sake, you are partly to blame. Get your arses back on your seats & make a noise. See, the solution is quite simple really 😀 Either support your team or offload your season ticket to someone who whats to go each week.

88. gnarleygeorge9 says:

…….& wants to make a noise!

89. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Now whats that I hear you say? What would GG9 know? I have read the comments made by Gooners for some time now about the problems @ home games.

My solutions have been posted, either take them on board, or don’t. You know I’m right 😛

“its time you all got over Ashburton Grove”
    “Either support your team or offload your season”
    Gnarley,
    Have you been on the cheap cider for the past 48 hours?

So yesterday’s game was the first this season I have not seen. Scanned some reports, and although tempted to make comments on individuals, I feel its fair to resist.
    However, I can comment on our fixture pile up. We are not going to win all four. Also, good though that we are, brittle and fragile( both mentally and physically) is also something that we are.
    I am not sure Arsene has quite mastered the rotation system.

92. New Post ………..

93. Looking around…

I like to surf in various places on the internet, regularly I will just go to Stumble Upon and read and check stuff out…