A Cup Final Beckons ………….

Written by 26may1989

The important bit is that we are through to the League Cup semi-finals and now stand as favourites – it’s no longer a case of a good opportunity to win the trophy, it will now rank as a significant disappointment if we don’t lift the League Cup in March.

As for the quarter-final game against Wigan last night, that can be summarised in a few words: cold, one-sided and cold.

We faced very accommodating opponents, who never seriously got their game going and made life pretty easy for us. It helped that some of their best players, Rodallega, N’Zogbia, Gomez and Diame, weren’t in the starting line-up, and they included players from their ranks like Victor Moses and Ben Watson. In fact, both of those two didn’t do too badly, and Moses was unlucky to suffer a dislocated shoulder in the first half, prompting his replacement by Charles Insomnia, as the very classy Joe Kinnear once described his own player. But overall Wigan were poor on the night, and only had two meaningful attempts at goal all night, one of those coming in second half injury time.

As for our lot, as Wenger promised, a young but experienced side was fielded. Other than van Persie’s inclusion to assist in his recovery from injury, this was a genuine second string side. Wilshere and Koscielny could argue that they are first choice players at the moment, but none of the other starters could argue the same. That is not to downplay the ability of our starting side: the only starter who wasn’t a full international was Koscielny, but these were our back-up players. The formation was interesting, with three would-be strikers (van Persie, Walcott and Vela) playing in the AM roles behind Bendtner. In fact, it played more like a 4-1-4-1 (with Wilshere pushed up) than our usual 4-2-3-1, and with Wigan in such a passive mood, that made sense.

The performance was ok, nothing special, but more than sufficient to get the required result and provide a bit of entertainment along the way. It could easily have been 3, 4 or 5-0, especially given the various one-on-one chances that were missed. Vela was surprisingly culpable – he may not have convinced us that he will make the grade, and there is every chance he will be playing for a new side within a year, but one thing he has always done well is convert efficiently and stylishly when clear on goal. Not last night though. Van Persie carved open the Wigan defence with back heel passes to Vela, not once but twice, but the chances, along with a couple of others, were still missed.

Wilshere had an excellent game, as did the now convincing Johan Djourou, who won just about every header he went for, intercepted well and passed unfussily; he must now be ahead of Koscielny in the CB stakes.  That said, the Frenchman had a decent game as well, including some bursting runs forward.  Gibbs looked jittery at first but settled in and ended up having a good game. Szczesny didn’t have a lot to do but what there was he did well, including one very smart save in the first half. Vela, Bendtner and Walcott had typically mixed performances, but at least they got into good positions, and Walcott’s deliveries from corners were especially good, one of which led to our first goal, when the ball bounced off Wigan defender, Alcaraz, and flew into the net. Vela also got an assist on the evening, sending the ball across from the left wing midway through the second half for Nic Bendtner to bundle the ball home.

Van Persie’s performance was also uneven but overall seemed to be getting more into the groove of things, and clearly suited playing in the AM line well. Looks like it will be a few more games before he can really start hitting decent form though. Nasri and Eastmond came on around the 70 minute mark, and were ok, Nasri expertly rounding the keeper but then missing another of the one-on-one chances we had.

On the negative side, Denilson (a player I generally like) had a dreadful game, making mistake after mistake and giving up possession way too often. In a higher pressure game, that would have cost us. Eboué also played badly, though he is at least coming back from injury. I was annoyed at waiting until the 83rd minute before Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was brought on – how is he meant to prove himself with so few minutes on the pitch, especially when he played most of those few minutes as striker, which is not his best position?

Ratings:

Szczesny 7

Eboué 4

Djourou 8

Koscielny 7

Gibbs 7

Denilson 4

Wilshere 8 (Eastmond 6)

Walcott 6

van Persie 6 (Nasri 6)

Vela 6

Bendtner 6 (Emmanuel-Thomas n/a)

A word about the weather: did I mention it was bloody cold last night? It wasn’t an evening for anyone to enjoy playing football, so some of the disjointed and low-key performances on both sides can perhaps be forgiven a little. The fact there were players from countries like Saudi Arabia, Ivory Coast, Mexico, Brazil and Honduras on the pitch and in the occasional blizzards underlines the point. But the conditions also made it tough to be a spectator yesterday, so a bit of entertainment was essential. Some of that came from younger members of our own number, with three or four making it onto the pitch late in the game for a pretty tame (the less kind would say lame) pitch invasion. Luckily, our own Captain Marvell, the Reverend Emmanuel Eboué, was on hand to do his peace broker bit and save some running for clearly unenthusiastic stewards, who were expected to charge around to quell the high-jinks. I just hope the club isn’t so humourless as to ban the kids in question, who clearly had a great time doing mock goal celebrations in front of the North Bank.

So, all in all, the performance was fine. Obviously it didn’t match what our friends in East London managed against a strong United side (got to love that), but we go into the League Cup semis confidently and with the real prospect of picking up the trophy in March.

87 Responses to A Cup Final Beckons ………….

Morning,

Excellent match report 26may. The emergence of Chamakh as ‘target man’ means that RvP will presumably have to fill the DB/No.10 role and I thought he did pretty well last night. This may mean that Cesc will play deeper to accommdate RvP. There is no doubt that Cesc’s defensive game is way better than van Persie’s. Maybe Robin will have to satisfy himself with being part of the squad rotation system as I think Chamakh is an important cog and should be a starter in the big games.

2. Carlito11 says:

Well pleased with the result and some of the performances yesterday! A much more balanced and constructive match report than some of the whingers on other blogs! Great to see RvP back being creative. JW showed an excellent all-round game- I think he felt a bit inspired by the Clasico the night before! CV’s game was full of effort and that’s all I wanted from him- a sense that he really wants to play for us and be a success. Big JD was pretty good and any shakeyness at the back can be attributed to the formation in my view. Top marks to Wenger for sensing Wigan would not pose much threat and playing so many attacking players- a clean sheet too!

3. Carlito11 says:

And how good did Nasri look when he came on? A rolls royce of a player. He just looked a class apart with his vision and movement, The next Zidane? I’m starting to believe it now!

Morning Carlito,

I agree about Nasri. The opposition will start to target him for ‘special attention’ as they have Cesc, so I hope he is resilient. He is a no-nonsense type of player apart from going down quite easily sometimes to gain free kicks so I expect he will have the temperament to deal with it. The no-handshake incident shows he is strong willed.

5. Carlito11 says:

I’m far happier than I have any right to be after a fizzy cup victory against Wigan at home. Watching Nasri, JW, CV and RvP trying to play the beautiful game make me happy 🙂

How times change. The spud fans are now calling it the ‘Mickey Mouse Cup’ and will consider they’ve had their most successful season if they get into the CL next year, whilst we may celebrate a victory in the CC as our best season for six years.

7. afc says:

I love nasri. I dislike bentner denilson wallcott and eboue, I just am not really seeing there quality

Very good write up 26/5. So much better than most of today’s newspapers.

I agree about the poor display from Denilson and it is hard to explain. He has been getting pitch time and yet hasn’t kicked on. I had high hopes for him and look forward to a major improvement. The same cannot be said of JW who appears to be the real deal – I love that he is clearly proud to wear the shirt. One of his passes to put in Vela was world class., as were some of RvP’s.

But where to play RvP? Who gets dropped? Surely not Chamakh or AA, nor Song, JW, CF/TR or Nasri. At present I do not see a solution 🙂

Morning Raddy,

I made the same observation about RvP. I have to congratulate you on being right about Djourou. As you know, I had my doubts, but he has convinced me and I’d be happy to see him starting the big games as a first choice CB.

10. bruce says:

Big Raddy… this is a positive dilemma 🙂

Bruce. You are right !!

Rasp. Thanks. I have always been impressed with JD’s ability with the ball at his feet and in the air, my only concerns were in regard to his positional sense. Those fears remain but it is possible to teach him and experience helps.

13. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Johan got an 8 I see. 🙂

14. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, a great pair of results last night, the defeat of old bacon faces rabble brought me almost as much as our perfunctory win against the Latics.
    Didn’t whiskey breath look like a dementia-care-in –the-community case in his dumb looking woolly hat last night?

He thought he could play his reserves/youth like we do and get away with it; perhaps we are finally seeing that the Manks squad depth isn’t all that.

It’s also great to see their ”unbeaten in all competitions” record go down the crapper.
    Ha-de-ha har !

JD’s success rate at winning headers is high, but he can be slow on the turn so it makes sense to have an experienced defender like Squillaci alongside him – or as often the case, behind him to clean up if he doesn’t win a challenge. With the absence of TV, JD and Squillaci would be my first choice CBs.

16. Tim says:

I thought Theo had a better game than both Bendtner and Vela, whose finishing left a lot to be desired. Anyhow, given the conditions, the result was all-important, so a job well done!

17. GunnerPete says:

Good report. I now think that with the squad we have that AW can afford to sell a few players who are standing in the way of better youngsters. Denilson, Diaby, Eboue, and Almunia are are worth a few bob, and the money for them could buy a world class goal poacher & CB. I for one would like to see Nordveit at right back. He played brilliantly early season and nothing Eboue has done since has proved any better. I also think that AW should now think of a back line of

Sagna ,Squillaci, Djourou and Gibbs.

Mid Four of… Theo, Kossy,Song, Wilshire

Front two…. Chamahk & Nasri

Subs: Gibbs, Chesney, Nordveit, Rosicky, RVP, Arsharvin.

Play this team at Manure and we will win. In fact play this team any game and we will win.

I believe the last 6 games with Cesc has highlighted two things (A) when we are without him our team is faster and more direct and (B) that when he plays his heart is not in it unless we are slautering someone. As for Clichy, its is only my opinion but I think his defensive work is appalling and he has cost us dearly this season.

Interesting stuff GP,

I agree Nordveit was very impressive in pre-season. He’s strong, quick and positionally aware, but can also deliver a cross. Diaby is a distraction in as much as his occassional brilliance makes you want to persist in the hope he can become consistant, but I don’t think with the squad we have we cnn afford a player who tends to let us down when it matters. I’d have to include an on-form AA in the starting line up because he can change a game.

19. 26may1989 says:

Chary, “dementia-care-in –the-community case”: harsh but funny!

I really do think RvP shouldn’t be used as an out-and-out striker in our current formation, it doesn’t suit him or the team as a whole. Playing the withdrawn striker/central AM position definitely looks good, and he can also work well off the flanks (as he does for Holland). I see our optimum midfield and attack being Song, Wilshere, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie and Chamakh. But that leaves so many on the side, one that didn’t get a mention is Ramsey.

I too am a Djourou convert. His positional play used to be erratic but over the last number of games, he has shown real consistency and solidity. He wasn’t tested to any great extent yesterday but did show that his good form has been maintained, even while being benched once in a while.

And thanks for the kind comments.

GunnerPete. Interesting comment.I disagree almost in it’s entirety!

The point I DO agree with are the sale of Almunia and maybe Denilson at season’s end when Ramsey will be ready. The replacement of Eboue by Nordvelt is highly unlikely, though as an RB backup, why not try him?

As to the Cesc point. IMO Cesc is the best player in the PL (alongside Tevez). I cannot accept your opinion that his heart isn’t with AFC – where is your evidence?? Cesc himself has said that he is not in best form but to suggest we are better without him is in my opinion errant nonsense.

As to your team, upon what do you base playing Kosc in midfield? (And Gibbs on the bench as well as on the field – ok I know what you meant)

But as I say, it is an interesting comment and raises good talking points.

21. charybdis1966 says:

26May – interesting what you say about Djourou, me, Raspers and Peachy were sitting together watching him in the pre season friendly at Underhill and we all thought he looked too ponderous on the ball and had a tendency to dwell on it in dangerous positions.
    Obviously he’s kicked on now and for the teams who play a lot of route one stuff I’d pair him up with Kozzer/Verminator as our first choice CB pairing.
    I would say the Squid would be back up for Kozzer or to be used when the opposition are less threatening.

22. 26may1989 says:

GunnerPete, I agree Nordtveit looked good but it was only pre-season, so we don’t have much to go on really. We have to rely on Wenger’s judgment from watching training every day to know when he’s ready.

As for sales, hold on there! Yes, Diaby and Almunia can be safely shipped out (it would be good for them too). But Denilson is a better player than many give him credit for, and is certainly an important element in the squad. I admit I’ve got a soft spot for Eboué and his role as team mascot as well, but in pure playing terms he’s also useful, and not only at RB but also when we need something a bit more robust at RM.

Sales will be a theme next summer I reckon though. It will be crunch time re Clichy, who I think should be sold to allow Gibbs in and to allow Clichy to rediscover his defensive mojo elsewhere. One or both of Vela and Bendtner may also well be calling time on their Arsenal careers.

The challenge in all this will be avoiding destabilising the squad. But that comes with the territory when you have so many talented youngsters and few opportunities for even established players to shine.

Thanks for post 26 May.
    Frankly, I think my medication is too strong, as I thought last night was absolutely brilliant. RVP adds such a physical dimension to that No10 role that Cesc simply cannot offer. Also, he adds the much needed thrust I keep on about, in that his default setting is “Towards Goal”. To put this into perspective, look at Utd’s second teamers. You can take this next bit as positive or a criticism, but I think Theo, Denilson, Bendy and Eboue are just that. Very capable second teamers.

Here’s my all new strongest line up:

……Fab
    Sag TV JD Gibbs
    …Song JW
    Nas RVP AA
    …..Cham

RVP and Cesc between them could play every game between now and the end of the season.

24. 26may1989 says:

Have to agree with Raddy about some of GunnerPete’s points on Cesc. When you think of games like the home leg vs Barca last season, can you really say he isn’t up for the fight? As I’ve said before, I do think he deserves more criticism than he sometimes gets but that shouldn’t obscure the fact that he is a fantastically talented player (and to be honest, our only truly and consistently world class talent). There is no-one in England who can play the game like an NFL quarterback the way he does.

I think it should be possible for everyone to be dropped or benched, Fabregas included, but if (when) he goes, and despite the amazing talents we have in the likes of Nasri, Wilshere and Ramsey, I’ll be gutted.

Chary:“dementia-care-in –the-community case”: underatated but funny!

sorry understated

27. charybdis1966 says:

He looked completely hapless last night MDi89 – he seemed more suited to sitting in a bath chair underneath a tartan blanket.
    I’d like to think the Whammers have triggered off a decline in the Manks fortunes this season but I fear that’s wishful thinking.

Another positive for me was Vela. I have never seen a role for him other than in a 4-4-2, but last night, I changed that view. I know he missed two chances, but firstly he was making the right run to be there in the first place, and secondly, I would put the misses down to lack of confidence and nerves. The poor bloke knows he is the last chance saloon. Also, his passing had vision and accuracy. For me, he is now the natural understudy to AA.

Chary,
    The Mancs have a very fragile squad, so they will need more luck than most with injuries. While you are here, are you and BR still going to the game on saturday, if so, I will send my mobile into Peaches, and hopefully she can forward it.

30. charybdis1966 says:

Yup MDi89 – I’m going, aiming to get there by 2pm(hopefully earlier if trains don’t play up).
    I don’t know where Peachy/Raspers/Radders are going to meet up though, I usually go to the Tavern on Blackstock Road.

31. Hi chary, micky – I’m just about to email you

Chary,
    I’ll be there. No doubt get info from the others later. I will email my mobile no. to Rasp/Peaches. Look forward to meeting you.

33. charybdis1966 says:

Cool Peachy/MDi89 – we’ll need to be well lagered up as the way we’ve been playing at home lately we won’t know what to expect and we need our nerves calmed!

Just emailed.
    Chary,
    Lager?? I had you down as a Creme de Menthe kind of guy. Must be the Gravatar/avatar (whatever they are called). Never judge a book by its cover, I guess.
    Work calls.

My God, you have probably got me down as a pint of Night Nurse type!!!

Great report 26 – the best I’ve read.

There were lots of positives from last night’s game (even thought Wigan weren’t offering much). Theo and Vela showed lots of threat and the finishing will come with more game time.

JD, as many have said, was very good and Kozzer occasionally showed great speed to recover when turned by their attacks.

Finally, I thought Gibbs had an excellent game and was close to being our MoTM.

37. charybdis1966 says:

I’d have no idea MDi89 – I’m rubbish at guessing what type of drinker people may be. Looking at the forecast though, perhaps we should all be Ovaltiney’s on Saturday.

My plane has been cancelled but assuming Gatwick is open tomorrow, I will meet y’all in a pub near the ground.

My normal tipple is a double vodka and ribena with a creme de menthe chaser.

I have taken a Peroni or two with you Chary. You are definitely not a c.de m. man 😉

40. charybdis1966 says:

LOL Radders, you just can’t beat a Peroni to get you “up for it” and ready to match the oppo support although Fulham aren’t really a team to dislike, it’s just their manager who is a bit disagreeable.

By the way 26/5. How was the weather last night?

42. He’s a braver man than me – so to speak – I woosed out of going but only cos I live out in’t country now and was worried I wouldn’t get home.

43. 26may1989 says:

It was cold Raddy. Really cold. Apologies, I should have mentioned that in the write-up…..

44. Red Arse says:

26,

I did not see the match and the papers this morning were pretty apathetic about our performance.

Your excellent report put a different perspective on things and cheered me up. 🙂

My farrago of players to definitely keep/sell are;

KEEPERS: DJ, Diaby, Vela

SELLERS: Almunia, Clichy, Eboue, Bendy, Theo, EASTMOND.

I know, I know ….. I’m like a broken record. But at least I am consistent! 🙂

45. Red Arse says:

By the way, 26, was it cold by any chance? 🙂

You obviously weren’t wearing those special furry underpants so beloved of the legal eagles. 🙂

46. 26may1989 says:

Do you know what Red Arse, it was pretty chilly last night. Enough to give you, well, a red arse.

And how the hell did you know about my underpants? Injunction will be in the post……

47. 26may1989 says:

And on your suggestions for the next Prem bring and buy sale, Diaby out, Eboue, Bendy, Eastmond and Theo stay. Can’t believe you’ve even suggested Theo to be shown the door! And I know you’ve got a thing about Eastmond, but the kid has played what, six or seven games including as sub? Time for that slack to be cut methinks.

48. 26may1989 says:

As others will have seen on newsnow, the jobsworths at the club have shown their colours re the kids who ran onto the pitch and are saying they will start the process of getting banning orders from the courts: http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/arsenal_to_ban_wigan_pitch_invaders_despite_their_age_1_742953.

Come on, Ivan, time to get a grip. Ban them for the rest of the season if you must, but leave the court proceedings out.

It pisses me off, when they want to flog stuff to us, the club and football authorities all go on about the passion we feel. But when it comes to the real thing, they have stewards telling us to sit down, they book players who celebrate with the crowd too much, they ban flags and ban fans from attending for the sake of a bit of innocuous misbehaviour. Sheesh.

Steady on boys – who announced the fire sale?

Apart from Almunia, who is clearly out of sorts with the club, I wouldn’t flog any of them unless we bought a top notch player and one or more of our lot became surplus to requirements.

Diaby still hints at the possibility of being a top player.

Denilson (not my favourite because of the way he switches off when the opposition have the ball) can still put in a tidy shift.

Clichy and Eboue – keep ’em for the squad as back-up FBs.

Theo – come on – he was tearing sides apart at the start of the season and just hasn’t had a proper run of games since he got injured.

Eastmond – Redders, he’s only 19 and AW clearly sees something in him. Who knows how good he’ll be when he’s 21? I remember people writing off Song when he started getting some first team games but now I keep reading comments about how we’ll be screwed if he gets injured.

Bendy – would keep him also, but only if he’s happy to be a back-up striker.

I don’t see Bendy, Diaby, Eboue, Clichy, Vela, Eastmond, Almunia as being in our ideal first team, but they’re all part of what makes our squad the strongest in the EPL. Just look at what happened to ManUre’s second string last night (and they had Giggs, Fletcher and a couple of other first teamers playing too).

Finally, Redders if you had been there last night you would be writing as Blue Arse today I imagine.

50. Red Arse says:

Sorry to upset you guys. I was just following on from the general comments above.

Simply don’t know how a certain player’s name got into my sellers list. 🙂
    I feel just as strongly about the merits of Diaby, as you seem to over the hidden merits of “x”, so perhaps you could cut him a little slack too?

Anyway, AW said he would not buy in Jan unless he lost a few. That was my clear out suggestion for helping him decide to buy. Just an opinion.

RL. 5.09 Agree with all your points.

Diaby is only sellable because we have such a plethora of talent in his position. I see him as developing into a superb player assuming he can avoid injury. Sadly that does not seem to be the case, but his performances alongside Nasri both for France and Arsenal show that in a Cesc-less world, he has a major role to play.

I think we keep all but Almunia until the dust settles in the summer.

52. 26may1989 says:

Not to worry RA, always fun to shoot the breeze on these things – it’s not like our opinions ultimately make a blind bit of difference. (Why is a “bit of difference” blind by the way?)

Diaby has talent, no doubt. But he’s had enough opportunities, and it seems clear he can’t maintain the very high standards he can reach. In fact, when he’s not on top, top form, he’s usually a liability. Plus we have zillions of midfielders. Hence I’m happy for him to be moved on.

By the way, a while ago I said I’d bear you in mind if I have a spare for a home game. Well, I have a spare for the Stoke game on 18 Dec – might you be intersted in nabbing it?

Thanks to closure of Gatwick Airport I cannot get over for the Fulham game. However,snow willing, I will be over for Partizan next Weds if anyone is around for a winter warmer or two.

54. Red Arse says:

26,

It is just my luck, I would normally bite your hand off and happily buy a spare off you, but I am on my travels from the 15th December to 22nd December!! 😦

I would also have liked the opportunity to discuss all matters Arsenal with you.

Hopefully, I might have a ticket for Jan to end Feb from a relative who is going back to America for a time.

Thank you so much for your kind offer, it is very much appreciated. You are a gentleman!!

Not upset Redders – In fact I really enjoyed thinking through the questions you posed about some of our lot.
    I have sat in the pub countless times saying we should get rid of Eboue or Denilson or Song or Almunia or Clichy (even, whisper it, towards the end of their times with us I wanted us to offload TH14 and Super Red Fred).
    By highlighting those players you have hit on the ones about whom most of us have a question mark and I don’t any of us would put them in our first choice 11. Thinking about it, the difference is consistency. Denilson, Song, Theo can be outstanding on their day, but their day doesn’t come round often enough.

56. Red Arse says:

RL,

I consider you a friend, and there are many others on AA, and I never take umbrage.

I am only too pleased you all tolerate my tongue in cheek comments and whacko humour so well. 🙂

Evening AA’ers,
    BR, damn shame I won’t meet you on saturday. Slightly keeping my fingers crossed the West Country doesn’t get snowed. If it does, I may be joining in the fun on weds instead.

On the subject of the to-get-ridders, I go along with Diaby, and here’s why. Despite having bundles of talent and the potential to be truly great, I think he simply does not want it enough. It is not unheard of. I may have mentioned before that I know someone who was an England Rugby player until a year or so ago, and the man actually states privately that he couldn’t care less about the game. It is simply something that has always come easily and is an easy means to an end. I think Diaby comes into this catergory. The main difference being, that Diaby already has plenty to live off.

Do I detect the scent of fresh bread?

No. Incredible really, given my acute sense of smell. Long hot bath for this one.
    We are going to win things this season, and that feels very good. Yes, thingsss!

61. Sorry Micky – I was out the back 😉

It would be interesting to know if there are footballers that don’t really care about the game – I’m sure most of us reckon it must be a dream come true to be playing in the Premiership especially for one of the top clubs.

I’m sure when its going well for the player and the club everything slots into place. Saturdays fabulous display by Jack, Samir and Arsh is an example of that.

Out back in this weather, in the dark with the axeman on the loose.
    Without doubt there prem footballers who, how do we say this, take things a little easier than others.

63. For sure Micky and those are the ones we should shed IMHO

Sorry Peaches,
    Disjointed. Phone calls to make. See you saturday if we don’t cross swords before.
    Nite.

65. See you then then 🙂

See you then then then…

67. You, you’re not going to be there, what’s wrong with Luton or Stansted?

68. 26may1989 says:

RA, no worries re the ticket, next time!

Micky, interesting point re your rugby playing mate. Sports fans (me included) are a deluded bunch, we assume that the objects of our obsession feel the same way about the game as we do. Some do, no doubt, but there must be plenty who have similar feelings about football to your mate’s feelings about rugby.

Mathieu Assou-Ekotto was admirably candid a while ago, when he said he was in football to earn money, no more, no less. Should we feel disappointed about attitudes like that? Maybe, but much of it stems from the illusions we labour under.

Villa have just gone out of the League Cup thanks to a crappy, deflected, late winner from Zigic.

69. Arsenal

West Ham

Ipswich

Birmingham

70. 26may1989 says:

Bloody hell, looking at the sides that remain, I’m really becoming worried that about complacency. Two Prem relegation battlers plus one Championship struggler managed by a psychopath who’d love to get one over us for old time’s sake.

71. I’ve just heard from an Ipswich supporter that we’ve got them eeeeeeeek

72. charybdis1966 says:

Has the draw been made for the Fizzy Cup already Peachy ?

73. Hi chary, yes it was after tonights games, I haven’t seen it just got a msg from a friend.

74. charybdis1966 says:

Whaaaaa? I thought they’d wheel out Saint & Greavsie for SkySports on Saturday lunchtime or something.

I’ve googled it and various twitters are saying that too.

75. 26may1989 says:

Yup, Ipswich it is. But we get the home leg second, so that’s worked out well.

76. charybdis1966 says:

Now the Daily (Hate) Mail have flagged it up, we are away for the first leg so it’s the better way round to be playing at home for the 2nd leg…..assuming our home form has picked up by then.

77. Irishgunner says:

Ipswich in the fizzy cup – probably the worst draw to be honest although be good to stuff Keane for old times sake – bring back PV04 and Keown for one night only

78. charybdis1966 says:

Hi Maire – and the preferred draw in MHO- hopefully West Ham and Brum will kick the sh** out of each other and get all their decent players banned when we face them in the final.

I’ve sent you out a FB request BTW, and to Peachy.

I have to get some Gooners in my FB list. 🙂

79. SharkeySure says:

I love this site !!

Yep thats it…read all of todays comments and have nowt else to add !!!

Nite all. 😉

80. Irishgunner says:

Evening Chary,

I just reckon we have to win this now – West Ham in the final would be nice – they’ll fuck it up 🙂

I’ve not got a request on my page, are you sure it was me ha ha

81. Irishgunner says:

Hello and Goodnight Sharkey 😀

82. charybdis1966 says:

I’m quite sure it’s you Maire – there’s lady ga ga on your interests and a tag line for AA also.

I sent it last night so maybe it’s in the bottom of your notifications list.

83. Irishgunner says:

Ha ha must be me – “Brady 7”

Try it again because I’ve none in my notifications.

84. Irishgunner says:

I think I just found you???

85. charybdis1966 says:

Yup, that’s me – just check out the TV and music interests aside from things Arsenalish interests.
    Anyhoo nite all.

86. Irishgunner says:

Woohoo 🙂

Must go to sleep myself – hiding under my duvet away from the cold, laters all.

Theres a New Post …..