Are there just too many Arsenal Sites?

Written by kelsey

The Internet has seen an explosion of football sites in a comparatively short space of time, and at the last count I see there are  a hundred or more just dedicated to The Arsenal.

This got me thinking, as I am of an age when if one grew up in and around North London, one either followed Arsenal or Spurs. Many families were, and are still divided in their loyalty to one club or the other. There was practically no televised football,  let alone endless replays, multitudes of pundits, video technology or mobile phones and generally one had to attend games. In the main there was honest banter between the two sets of fans and no real hatred. One could sit in a pub and discuss football in a civil manner.

With the arrival of the Internet and the domination of Sky TV over the last twenty years things have changed dramatically, and I put it to you, not always for the better.

On the plus side it has opened up a way for fans from all over the world to log on and express their views about all things (in our case) Arsenal. We all have our favorite blogs, and in most there is a hard core of faithful bloggers who post on a daily basis.

Some sites are welcoming to anyone, whilst others use expletives when one first steps in and tell you in no uncertain way to get lost if your view opposes that of the site.

Others (which is a real pet hate of mine) scream abuse at our players and fairly frequently at our manager when things don’t pan out as expected,or we lose a game,yet when we invariably bounce back with a resounding win,these people magically disappear.

If one was really honest with oneself, would you give some of the posters two minutes of your life if you actually met them face to face? I doubt you would. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some people try to justify their standpoint by suggesting that they are more intelligent than others, and therefore they are the “Football Managers” and the rest of us are complete idiots.

When you get sixty thousand people together in an environment one will always get differing cultures and different view points and reading some sites it gets rather racist or political that one forgets that the principal purpose is forgotten, that is to see the pros and cons of the team discussed on any given match day, but most importantly to support the club through thick and thin.

Of course it is a free world and everyone can do as they please. Many will disagree with me, but there are just too many Arsenal sites which are not carefully monitored and are only interested in the number of hits they receive.

Quality of post will always outweigh quantity.

This is my own opinion and does not represent everyone else’s feeling on this site.

119 Responses to Are there just too many Arsenal Sites?

Thanks kelsey for the post, I happen to think its a good thing that there are a lot of Arsenal blogs. It proves that we are an intelligent bunch of supporters who like to discuss our team endlessly 😉

2. Carlito11 says:

Hi Kelsey, a thoughtful post- not the rant I expected on a Friday login 🙂
    I can’t comment too much as I tend to only read this blog and arsenal.com otherwise going for the newspaper sites and bbc for my football fix. However, the ranted expletive soaked barbs you mention are prevalent all over the internet at the moment- from youtube to forums on all issues. What the kids like to call “haters”. In other spheres they wouldn’t dare spout this nonsense in the real world but I feel that in football the haters probably do say their piece out loud and the blogs could well contribute to some skewed views.
    The reason I always read this blog is because there is balance, humour and genuine support for the team. Long may it continue!

3. Evo in Oz says:

there are quite a lot arent there

Quality of post will outweigh quantity and this is a fine post Kelsey.

Interesting subject matter. I have 4 sites as favourites which I read on a regular basis, each delivers it’s own viewpoint, but this site is unquestionably the best 🙂

We have a policy not to discuss other sites (or at least criticise), which makes today’s post difficult to expand upon.

5. Morning Carlito

kelsey’s not around until later this morning.

In the two years that I’ve been blogging I’ve always felt that the sites I’ve enjoyed visiting have had a therapeutic effect, when we’re angry or just plain sad they give an opportunity to sound off rather than kick the cat and when we’re thrilled we get to share that feeling with others.

In addition there are many sites that are informative too not just there for discussion.

Carlito. I blame the parents

7. charybdis1966 says:

HI all, it does prove that there is a lot to talk about Arsenal-wise but I’m not sure all the blogs are purely going for hits.
    A lot of people write just to get things out of their system in a cathartic sort of way and I believe anyone has at least half a dozen things they’d like to post up about their team.
    Peachy – are you around before the Toon game ?

8. lewis says:

Nice post mate, there is no doubt in my mind that so many of the sites are just looking for a hits. That’s what frustrates me the most, then they sit there sniping at anyone who marginally disagrees with them. G & P spring to mind if you know who they are.
    ANyway, keep up the good work, as always something enjoyable to read, when the chips are down we still have to support our team and not be a ‘superficial fan’ like so many others seem to be

9. charybdis1966 says:

Hi Radders, I think it’d be safe to name the sites you like without fear of retribution. But of course I’ll only do it if the blog guvnors say so !

10. Evo in Oz says:

hopefully pool and chavs smash the shizenhousen out of each other this weekend and it ends in a nil-nil draw with a few red cards

11. Hi Raddy

Maybe its sad to admit it but after certain bad results its difficult to enjoy life 😦

12. charybdis1966 says:

Evo – I always hope for outcome slike that, a nil nil draw is th eonly option preferrable to a defeat for both sides.

Naturally a plethora of straighy reds and season ending injuries would not go amiss either, say for Drogba, Essien, Anelka, Cech…and so on 🙂

However I’m hoping for a win for the ‘dippers as we really need the Chavs to start dropping points on a consistent basis.

13. Hi chary – yes it would be good to meet up for Peronis before the game, the aformentioned P said they’ll be drinking in the Rocket but I don’t know where that is – I’ll just have a check and get back to you.

I’m certain Peronis at 12.30 is not something my mother would be proud of – hope she’s not reading today 😳

Morning all,

Interesting post kelsey. I think that the balance of Arsenal related web sites is very good. If I am feeling negative, I ususally go to one of the more extreme sites and read what is being said (some of it pretty horible) and I am immediately reformed 😛 My defence mechanisms for the players, manager and club kick in and once again I can see things in perspective.

Both sides annoy me for differing reasons. On one hand there are those who appear to want us to fail so they can be proved correct and on the other there are the ‘thought police’ who see it is sacilege if you even dare to discuss something that they interpret as critical. Obviously the balance lies in the middle and I’d like to think that is the territory we inhabit.

15. Evo in Oz says:

yep a win for the dippers followed by a draw would be my no.1 and no.2 preferences

16. Hi Evo – nice to see you 🙂

We definitely want the chavs to drop points so a Pool win and a draw in Manchester would be fantastic.

17. charybdis1966 says:

So Raspers, is it ok to name a few other(than AA) blogs we like ?

18. Carlito11 says:

Hi Raddy, parents can’t police cyberspace though can they? I’m sure many parents would be happier for their kids to be louts in cyberspace than out there causing bovver like they used to in the old days! Just to re-iterate, the way the haters are dealt with here, being asked to elaborate on their views and build a coherent argument is about the best thing I’ve come across on any forum 🙂

19. Carlito11 says:

Morning Peaches- sorry :-~

20. Carlito11 says:

haven’t got the hang the emoticon keystrokes yet!

Rasp. I do the same !! When some 12 year old who knowledge of football comes from playing a computer game criticises the great Mr Wenger using 4 letter expletives, that my depression turns to anger which is a much healthier emotion!

OK Chary ….. you first …..

22. chary – The Rocket is on Holloway Road which is a bit of a schlap when arriving at Finsbury Pk so The Tavern may be preferable. The police are enforcing the no drinking in the street now 😦 so even The Auld Triangle is difficult to drink at.

23. I’ll go first shall I ……. Goonerholic and Arseblog are my other favourites

24. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah Peachy, I’m aiming for the Tavern for 12.15pm so I hope to see you there but I’ll have Chary major and Chary minor with me so I won’t be going OTT with the peroni’s.

Radders, I read Tim’s place(7amkickoff), LadyArse, Desigunners blog, Goonerholic and ,whisper it quietly, LG.
    Recently I’ve noticed this one called “A girl who loves the gunners” – a fresh look without the testosterone that seems to be necessary on some vitriolic sites.

Carlito. I was joking!

26. Evo in Oz says:

hi peaches, good to see you all too!

Arseblog. The King of blogs – he has such a wicked turn of phrase and makes me laugh out loud everyday

Goonerholic. Very well written

LG. For old times sake!

ACLF. Has some fine posts but is erratic

and then if there is time. 7am and Untold.

Then in the evening a dip into the sites you mention.

It is a shame there are so many sites as I miss reading what could be very interesting and contrasting viewpoints, plus comments are spread around, and I lose old cyber friends from LG who have been banished and spread on the blog winds …… a blog diaspora

28. Carlito – there you go, chary’s made the plan, we’ll be at The Tavern for pre-match drinkies

Hi Raddy,

Of the two opposing factions, I find the thought police the more annoying. The other side is usually fuelled by ignorance, impatience and lack of appreciation, which although unpleasant, can be excused/accepted. The ones who think they occupy the intellectual high ground yet show their insecurity by refusing to allow debate on difficult subjects have no such defence.

Men and women have died to protect freedom of speech, I’m damned if I’ll allow someone to censor us because they don’t accept our right to debate all aspects of football/Arsenal.

30. charybdis1966 says:

Oh yes Radders, I forgot to mention Wrighty7’s blog – good for a quickie anytime.
    When Allgoonerdup was going that was a bit of a giggle too.

31. Red Arse says:

Nice Post Kelsey,

My response is that you can’t have too many Arsenal Blogs.

The laws of supply and demand will determine the numbers. One positive is that such a large number of blogs can cater for all tastes. If a Blog can attract other fans all well and good, if not it will be sayonara.

Speaking personally, I would not bother commenting if there were no Blogs out there that interested me. Some of the Blogs appeal, of course, to those who like to cuss and swear and launch insulting missiles at players, manager and club. They are not for me.

You also mention there are those who adopt a didactic approach when commenting, and think themselves superior to others. The self appointed “Football Managers”, I suppose.

Well I don’t know if I fall into that category, but part of the enjoyment for me is to learn from the knowledge and experience of others (I include you in this), and in turn I try to bring my own perspective, on certain issues, which I hope are of some interest to others.

But some “Football Managers” are indeed amazingly intolerant and frankly ignorant, and wish to impose their views on others by web bullying. I cannot comprehend their need to do this, and find it grossly distasteful.

Fortunately, any such Blogger on this site would get short shrift me thinks.

Again, Kelsey, interesting subject! 🙂

An example of Arseblog’s wonderful use of English….

From today’s post ” However, that doesn’t mean van Marwijk isn’t a stupendous benny who is not tied to a tree. Just wanted to make that bit clear. ”

😀

33. I thought we were the hub of the blog diaspora Raddy – maybe we should have a ‘Right to Return to Blogland’ charter

Arseblog No.1

ACLF has improved greatly. It has always had fantastic articles, but was let down by the pack instinct of some dominating regulars. I am pleased to see that it happens far less often these days.

LG is the 2nd biggest blogsite and by far the biggest in terms of comments because it is the natural home for the negatively minded. It is very successful and the owners are true supporters.

Goonerholic is also realy well written and has its own quirky way (virtual bar) which I don’t really get.

Chary. I was one of the first chaps on AllGooneredUp (must be about 5 years ago) and was very sad when Tommy hung up his keyboard. I wonder where he is now? There was a fine community on the site.

Having said all that, I think RockyLives produces articles of the most consistantly high standard of anyone in the Arsenal blog world.

That’s just favouritism Rasp !

As to LG. It has spawned many of the new sites by showing there is no need to tow the party line, and the authors are good chaps even if I disagree with the thrust of some of their posts

38. Evo in Oz says:

just listening to the arseblog arsecast now. very funny!

On second thoughts Raddy, everyone in our list of authors with the exception of myself, writes to the same exemplary standard 😆

40. I agree, LG has its own spirit and I know the authors are die-hard gooners.

Have to agree with Rasp too about Rocky’s posts ….. and yours Raddy of course 😛

41. Oh blimey, its turning into a love-in 😆

Where’s London?????????

42. 9jabred says:

i love Le Grove a lot but i also read AFCB n ACLF. There’s this one called Memoirs of a Gooner…CERTAINLY worth a read!

43. charybdis1966 says:

That’s the thing Radders, running a blog takes an inordinate amount of time and I struggle to make time available to write my odd piece for here or Tim’s place.

True Peaches – where is London? Hope he is well and happy.

RAsp. You are at the very pinnacle of post writing excellence. In the words of the lamentable Andy Gray “Take a bow my son”

45. gunnern5 says:

Nice one Kelsey. Even as a nipper growing up around the ground reliable news about football was hard to obtain. Family discussions were invariably emotional opinions and rarely informed knowledge – but they were great “discussions” none the less.

We got most of our information from good old BBC radio, at 5:00pm on a Saturday we all crowded around the radio to listen to the days results – great memories.

Newspapers gave us a more colourful viewpoint and of course printed league tables and future schedules. The opinion columns were a joy to read and when we won
    I would read them over and over again – trying to visualize the game – imagining myself scoring the goals.

The 1st televised game was The FA Charity Shield game at Highbury on September 6th 1938, but frankly who knew anything about television, and nobody had TV’s anyway, and how could it possibly work? Well now we know the answer but it was not until 1955 that our family had a TV.

Thank goodness for TV as it transformed and enriched our game. It has turned it into a worldwide extravaganza that is enjoyed by millions.

Now we have the internet, who would have thought that football on TV would become old fashioned – well it will in the form that we recognize. Internet streaming soon become the norm. we are already using it and the more usage it gets the better it will become, quality wise.

Which beings me back to internet sites, Arsenal in particular. Growing up in the technology industry I’ve used the internet pretty much since it’s inception and I’ve participated in “discussion” forums for the best part of 20 years.

My gripe is not about the character of the sites or the fact that they go after hits – after all they have to compete and who said you have to be honest to compete?

My gripe is about the character of the posters/bloggers. I have a very thick skin and take pretty much everything in my stride but some of the remarks can only be made from behind a keyboard and would never be made face to face. These type of people are the cowards of this world and they use the internet to bully people that they never could on a one on one basis. Even more cowardly are the editors on the sites that allow these types of folks to dominate their forums.

I don’t believe in censorship but I do believe in moderated editing.

Thankfully this site exhibits common sense moderation – long may it last.

Gooner5. I love your memoirs, they take me back to my childhood and totally forgotten events.

I can still hum the beginning notes to the BBC football roundup radio programme, the sound of that brass band excites me 50 years later! Living in London and being the oldest son, it was my duty to go to the local newsagent and buy the Saturday evening paper which arrived at @6p.m.There was always the same group of wizened old (to me) men and young kids sent out by their Dad’s and we discussed Arsenal and Spurs. I would wander home taking in all the reports and scores from around the grounds. Happy and innocent days!

Anyone know the name of the theme music?

47. charybdis1966 says:

“Out of the blue” by Hubert Bath, some film composer chappy, apparently Radders.

48. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

You are a mine of info’. 🙂

49. charybdis1966 says:

I’m quite into some film composers RedA – John Williams(NOT the spanish/acoustic guitarist but the “Jaws” music guy), Jerry Goldsmith and Stu Phillips for example.

50. Red Arse says:

I have often heard comments, (usually derogatory) about “hits”.

What is the definition of a Blog hit and why is it deemed so important or so derisory, depending on viewpoint?

51. Red Arse says:

You prove my point CharyB, a veritable gold mine of info’, musical and otherwise. Good on you! 🙂

52. gunnern5 says:

Big Raddy;

Talking about memories how about…

Have a go – Wilfred Pickles

Much binding in the marsh – Kenneth Horne & Richard Murdoch.

The Archers

Mr’s Dale’s diary

Music while you work

Pick of the pops

Desert island discs

Hancock’s half hour

The Goon show

Dick Barton special agent

Then came a revolution in the form of…

Wonderful Radio London & Radio Caroline.

RA,

Hits are only important to some blogs for three reasons:

1. Revenue – if they carry adverts

2. Ego – if they value hits above veracity.

3. The wish to see a good article reach the maximum possible readership.

54. Carlito11 says:

Peaches- I’m not there for the barcodes- prior engagement this time! I’d love to meet up with you guys beforehand in the future for some quality banter!

55. Pat says:

I don’t think its possible to have too many Arsenal sites. Especially when you think how many Gooners there are all over the world….
    There is a great site called justarsenalblogs.com, which will give you the headlines from an incredible 66 Arsenal blogs. Its a great place to find out the new ones that seem to appear every day!
    How come you are not on there????

56. gunnern5 says:

Red Arse; This may be an over simplification but a hit is recorded when we enter a site.
    The more sophisticated sites record hits every time you click onto something else on the site.
    Sponsers/advertisers pay per hit on their ad,or the site – so many sites don’t filter out derisory bloggers as it would reduce their income. Derisory bloggers also tend to attract a lot of responses thus further increasing revenue.

I hope I’m not telling you something that you already know?

57. Neamman says:

Actually I only read this and Gunning hawk.

58. Red Arse says:

Rasp, GN5,

Thanks for the info, re hits. I did not know any of it, GN5, but now I understand why some sites seem besotted by “hits”.

Thank you both. 🙂

59. Red Arse says:

Having digested “hits”, that explains why controversial/racy headlines for articles sometimes appear on Newsnow, where there is a sponsor/advertiser involved.

Equally, the more outrageous, bilious comments filtered by some sites, (moderation) are tolerated by others to stop the perpetrators going elsewhere!

Yeuk! 😦

60. Thanks for the heads up Pat, I’ve just sent you an email 😉

61. Pat says:

Okay, you are added!
    And I’ve replied….. my pleasure!

RvP. With a little time for reflection…

1. It is not RvP who picks the Dutch team.
    2. A few days training with his Dutch mates will do no harm at all
    3. He needs match time and a friendly SHOULD be safer than the PL.
    4. Is it AW’s place to stop any of his players representing their country which ought to be the highpoint of their careers?

63. Pat says:

It was in a friendly EXACTLY a year ago that Chiellini destroyed Van Persie’s ankle!

64. Raddy – I think you’re being far too generous there. Should Ramsey been called up to play in a friendly for Wales in a couple of weeks how would you feel about that?

65. gunnern5 says:

It’s high time that the national teams paid the players wages on international duty and carried insurance that would compensate clubs in the case of injury.

This would make them think twice about playing unfit players and make them far more responsible.

What other business would allow it’s employee’s to leave their place of work when they are needed by the business – and still have to page their wages?

The rules are archaic and need to be aligned to current circumstances.

Internationals should be played only during a break in league play – having said that I recognize that causes organizational nightmares – but something needs to give.

66. Red Arse says:

BR,

Don’t agree on that one.

AW is not trying to stop RVP or anyone else playing for his country, he is concerned that he is not fit enough to play for anyone yet.

If he is not fully recovered or not fully fit he is more likely to suffer a setback. Who loses out then? Not Holland.

67. Carlito11 says:

Gunnern5- I’m pretty sure the national teams do pay compensation when a player is injured- but it’s not really about the wages being paid to injured players is it? We want him safe and sound for our title push and especially on Boxing Day!

68. Carlito11 says:

BR- I quite like your take on RvP- made me stop and think 🙂

G5. I agree about the financial responsibility of the national FA’s.

I suppose we should be thankful that we have no Brazilian !st teamers. They get dragged all over the world for “show games”.

Peaches. I would be proud that we have signed such a wonderful talent!

Despite my non-interest in the England team, I still maintain that having an International in the side is an honour to the club. The International mix of players at the Emirates has changed the way we view the International scene. To me the country comes first and to see the way MU have blatantly stopped their players from attending national duty is a disgrace. To be injured on the Weds and play for your club on the weekend should result in a 4 game club and a year’s international ban to the player.

A controversial and old fashioned viewpoint I know.

70. charybdis1966 says:

I’ve just found out that in the last 12 months, Robin van Persie has played 370 minutes for Arsenal and 821 minutes for the Netherlands.

This makes me wonder just how much of a crock he is, compared to say Rosicky, Darren Anderton and , lately, Cesc.

RA. What difference is it if RvP is playing for Holland or getting a kicking at Wolves/Stoke etc ?

I appreciate your argument but if he is fit enough to play for AFC reserves then he should be playing for his country. The controversy arises when he is NOT fit enough – in that case surely RvP himself should refuse, after all Marjwick will still pick him when he recovers – there are no Dutch forwards with his quality

Chary. Chocolate legs….

Briefly today,
    On the RvP issue, I am afraid I am losing patience, not with the man personally, but with the lack of a consistent Persie contribution to the cause. I suppose the real issue with him, as opposed to other persistent crocks, is that we all know how much we miss him. Look at last season alone. How we missed a striker! I am getting cross, and am only so far from making comments about his stupid Tintin style hair, something I never did with Perry Groves!

Kelsey,
    Great post. Thanks. My take is that some sites are more “five pints of lager top now mate” and others are more “two glasses of hairy red Rioja when you have a moment”.

Micky What would you do? Sell him in January?

76. gunnern5 says:

Carlito 11. I recognize that it’s not about the money, at least for the top clubs. I only make that suggestion in the vain hope it would make the countries more responsible.

77. Carlito11 says:

BR- would anyone buy him with his injury record? (not that I want him sold- at all)

Carlito. IMO he would flourish in a less physical league (Italy/Spain) so the answer would be Yes.

Imagine how frustrated he must be 😦

Afternoon all.

The headline of my post was actually a question not an opinion, but thanks for all the comments.

Maybe I look at more sites than some on here, but there are several that lay dormant for weeks even months.

I bit my lip as to the sites that didn’t appeal to me,but I must add that there are very few who manage to put out a quality headline post on a daily basis.Not an easy thing to do,I may add.

RVP averages about 20 games a season over the last 4 years though the last two have been less. If you consider we play beteen 50 to 60 games a season, it’s about one in three but what is more relevant is that he is always injured when we most need him.

I know BR is a big fan of bedntner but is he really good enough to be a first choice striker.

Vela is a favorite of peaches 😉 but again gets limited chances in starting for the first team, so what conclusion do we draw from that.

82. Red Arse says:

BR,

It seems we agree after all. 🙂

I think anyone called up for his country should be proud to do so, if fit. Your view is not at all controversial or old fashioned. It is a decent man’s perspective.

The final para of my comment at 2:35, shows I was referring to his physical condition, which I strongly suspect is AW’s concern too.

He should definitely not play for anyone, even the reserves, if he is not fit, because an unfit player risks a severe setback, as we have seen all to frequently at Arsenal.

(Personally I would sell him, if we received a substantial offer, and immediately reinvest the sale proceeds). His injury problems have gone on for far too long now.

83. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I was determined not to be drawn on the Bendy question, but I am weak willed, so here goes. (after commenting about a certain young midfielder, I should know better). 🙂

Nick Bendy: Pro’s; Tall, strong, very confident.

84. Red Arse says:

Continued: Bendy;

Cons: Can’t trap the ball, plays on the wing, (a la Thierry, who he is definitely not), and can’t dribble. 🙂

85. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, Bendtner is a constant liability he’s slow and has lead feet, we see occasional glimpses of what might be but nothing comes to fruition.

I’ve been an ongoing supporter of Eboue, as a squad player, but after his miserable display on Wednesday he has proved me to be wrong.

Vela is a strange one to assess but it’s clear that he’s not a starter and he only seems to excel in coming off of the bench when we hold a big lead.

Rosicky, when given the chance to lead the team invariably fails, I think he is now best suited to cameo appearances and will be traded at the end of the season.

I make it sound like I’m down on the team but I’m not really down – more disappointed in the lack luster performances – especially from Bendtner.

We need to be firing on all cylinders and we have failed to do that on a consistent basis. If we fail to win trophies this season I think many if the current squad will be traded and AW will bring in some seasoned players.

RA,

so in other words…….

Hi gunnern5,

I think a lot was highlighted mid week as to how much we miss a fully fit Cesc.Every good team has to have a midfield general, and he was sorely missed.

It may not have changed the result,but on a number of occasions the whole team seem to have an off day as opposed to one or two individuals.

Nevertheless we are second in the league and my only gripe is that we seem to keep players far too long who are forever injured.

Hello All. Great idea for a post Kelsey.
    And thankyou Rasp for your extremely generous words – although the truth, of course, is that AA is blessed with a whole stable of excellent writers.
    Indeed, that’s how I found myself here.
    When I have time I look through a lot of different Arsenal sites, but over the years I have grown tired of the following:
    * People who use abuse instead of argument.
    * People with poor grammar (I know this sounds snooty, but bad grammar makes stuff really hard to read. I have no problem with people leaving badly-written comments, but if you set yourself up to be the AUTHOR of a blog you should at least be able to use passable English).
    * Spurious stories about how we’re in for “£15m-rated striker” etc.

When I stumbled across Arsenal Arsenal I was struck by the intelligent tone of the comments (and the welcoming approach of the regulars). I just started reading it daily and posting the occasional comment (which was always responded to by other posters). Now, it’s my first stop in the Arsenal blogosphere every day (followed by Arseblog, of course).

By the way, the first Arsenal site I ever came across was Arseweb. What ever happened to that?

90. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

You are v. naughty. 🙂

There I was, trying hard to be diplomatic, (a virtue that does not come easily to me) and you say “in other words”.

O.K.then. I try to think which of the “big” clubs would sign him and I cannot believe he would get a look in at Chelsea, Manure, Barcelona, Real Madrid ….. need I go on?

He is a willing trier and therefore pleases some in the crowd, but that is all he will ever be. While he plays for us, he will get my support, but if Arsene asks for my advice, “sell – no sell”, I hope his missus has bought him a nice Louis Vuitton travel bag. 🙂

Now you have got me in trouble with Bendy lovers. 🙂 (so to speak! 🙂

91. Carlito11 says:

Apropos of nothing- did anyone else think carlos vela looked a shambles when he came on at shaktar? He looked like he’d been dragged out of a bordello still stinking of tequila and poontang! (apologies to the ladies)

RA,

I think the days off the old “centre forward” are gone, and the only real out and out striker at the moment is Drogba.

Chamakh loks an exciting prospect.No doubt about his heading ability and nimble feet for a tall man, but yet to see a real pile driver from him,but he fits into the system that we play.
    Nic has a poor first touch, but can strike a ball well and is OK at heading, but he tends to drift out on the wing so often(most probably on instructions).
    This often infuriates me when he is the only tall player on the field.

Carlito,
    I watched Vela a number of times over here when he played for Osasuna,and as I said previously AW obviously either doesn’t rate him good enough for an automatic start or just is biding his time with him.

Yet when he plays for Mexico he nearly always impresses.

How many impact subs can we have ?

94. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I think Newcastle have a very good throwback in Andy Carrol (?) as a fine strong old fashioned centre forward.

He seems to be a bit unruly off the pitch, but he is everything that Bendy is not, on the pitch.

To sum up; he is energetic, quick, uses his size to devastating effect, excellent in the air and has good anticipation. I like him and would swap for Bendy any day.

RA,

dandan said the same thing as you.

I have to revert to type. Nik has played very little this season (2 full games and 3 ten mins sub apps) and has already scored twice and set up others.

He is a work in progress …. and if AW trusts him so do I

97. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I agree with Rasp that you write very well, and what’s more, you are in v. good company as you say. Like you it was what attracted me to the site.

Thing is, I comfort myself in the presence of such excellence, by recalling the adage that it is the grit in the oyster that makes the pearl. You see I do have a purpose (or is that a porpoise) in blog life! 🙂

Just as well I have retired from “writing”, the pressure of being surrounded by such doyens would be too great! 🙂

98. Red Arse says:

BR,

The M25 in Herts is a work in progress, but I would not want it to play for Arsenal. (Have to admit AW has not sought my advice, yet, and I wonder why?) 🙂

Kelsey, that Dandan has got a cheek copying me, before I even said it! 🙂

99. gunnern5 says:

Rocklives: I understand your desire for the use of correct grammar, and I also know you are not picking on anybody in particular, but not all of us are blessed with degrees in English.

I have no qualm’s in sharing with you that I “escaped” from my bomb site of a school in 1950 when I was 13 and never went back to school again. Everything that I know and have learned is from good old fashioned on the job training.

I am awed by the grammatical excellence of many of our posters and I’m content in the knowledge that for me to be that good is just a wish and a hope.

So I’m happy to be a non judgmental reader.

However the use of broken English, or internet language, really tee’s me off.

100. Charybdis1966 says:

Ok off to start Diwali festivities now and Happy Diwali to those in Bharat and elsewhere also celebrating. Maybe catch you at the tavern on Sunday Peachy.

101. Red Arse says:

See you CharyB,

You must tell me more of what the Diwali festivities consist of, when you get a chance.

Enjoy the game too. 🙂

102. Red Arse says:

GN5,

Like Rocky, you write extremely well, as I said above, and you communicate as well anyone else on this site, and certainly far better than me! 🙂

When’s your next Post? 🙂

Gn5 – I couldn’t care less about run-of-the-mill spelling mistakes, split infinitives, typos etc. But I hate it when a blog article (not the comments that follow it) makes no sense or is impossible to follow. It doesn’t mean that I think the writer is a bad person (and I acknowledge that it takes some courage to write articles for other people to shoot down), it’s just that they are not achieving anything. Their argument is not coming across and it’s wasted time for anyone trying to decipher it.

All the regular writers of posts and comments on this site write clearly and well (as is the case with many other sites). But I have noticed a few newer ones recently where the author would be better off sticking to the day job.

Redders – you’re being a bit self-deprecating methinks. You’ve given me more laugh-out-loud moments on here than anyone in the last few weeks.

I don’t always reply (usually ducking in and out while I’m at work) but they are appreciated.

105. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

That’s kind of you. 🙂

Trouble is I have to concentrate on not writing nerdy words that no one understands (or so I have been frequently told). 🙂 Makes writing a bit of a pain, which is why I have stopped! 😦

You might think that is a self exculpatory excuse, because really I am just v. lazy! 🙂

106. Red Arse says:

I think it is time to boldly go, or to swiftly hop it, leaving split infinitives in my wake! 🙂

Tomorrow, guys.

I love nerdy words.
    So yeah, I think you’re just lazy! Get writing!

108. I love nerdy words RA – I’m always amazed that an unusual word trips off the keyboard into someones comment – don’t stop, please

The only unusual words I know are latin names of plants and they rarely manage to impress 😦

109. Still no London then …… what have we done? 😦

110. dandan says:

Just emailed you peaches

111. gunnern5 says:

Red Arse: You are being far too humble , your blogs are great.

Rocky: I understand the point you are making. Some blogs look as though they have been screened through interpretation software.

rohan, I am sorry your comment got deleted it was a glitch by dandan

GN5 – ‘interpretation software’ – funny.

114. allezkev says:

Seeing this site for the first time, felt like i was listening to a lot of pals talking Arsenal in the pub, it was great. Especially the memories of gunnern5, he must have seen the 47/48 and 52/53 title winning seasons, lucky fellow. Kelsey i think you set a very civilised tone on this site, i’ll certainly be back.

The internet is an educational tool like no other, we have the opportunity to learn from each other in a way previously unimagined (apart from Douglas Adams RIP).

If I don’t understand a word there are very simple aids at the bottom of my Mac Dock to assist me.

And today’s is “self exculpatory” …. Thanks RA

116. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Yes kelsey, you are bang on with respect to blog world. In my earlier daze involved with blog commenting I attempted to be as respectful to others as my up bringing had raught me, but, my upbringing was in the years before a cyber world that is characterised by a number of nasty types hidden behind a shroud that make them untouchable physically, so in time I became hardened to World of Blog.

Yes kelsey, there are some posters whom I wouldn’t give two minutes of my life to if I actually met them face to face. I’d give them a quick left & right jab to the nose & gut/gutless before they hit the ground 😈

Fortunately, over time I managed to find, in the main, the good ol’boys & girls here @ Arsenal-Arsenal.

kelsey, one thing you mention, though, that does have me questioning you, re

“In the main there was honest banter between the two sets of fans and no real hatred. One could sit in a pub and discuss football in a civil manner.”

If Hotshit had those horrid steel crowd controlling barriers around Shite Hart Lane, & The Arsenal didn’t, coz, as it was explained to me by The Club one sunny 1983 Summers day, while sitting on the North Bank Terrace with my mate Bazz admiring the place I’d only ever seen on tele,

“If you treat people like animals, they will behave like animals”.

Anyway, in a long winded way, I hope you get my gist.

Big game this weekend v Geordies. So in the spirit of that famous gooner who frequented the North Bank all those years ago, COYRRR

Theres a NEW POST