Big Night for Theo

Still feeling that warm glow from the fairy tale ending to the home tie? Me too. The Eduardo goal was the icing on an excellent cake. Think that we will achieve the same scintillating performance tonight? No? Me neither !

It’s not the warning signs emanating from Wenger’s press statements, nor is it the absence of Cesc, Song, Diaby, Arshavin and perhaps Denilson. No, it is the fact that a decent team like Shakhtar cannot possibly play so poorly at home. We overwhelmed Shakhtar at the Emirates with a performance of staggering efficiency and panache; with 4 goals coming from our midfield Donetsk were left bamboozled. Yet Shakhtar are a side dominating their League and will almost certainly accompany Arsenal into the final 16.

The Shakhtar coach has been entertaining the press with his opinion that Shakhtar were the equal of Arsenal at the Emirates. Apparently the main difference was the referee – we were clearly watching different games. Their recent record is excellent with only 2 defeats in 30 games (one to us) and 18 wins out of their last 20.

It was my fervent hope that Mr. Wenger would send out our first choice 11 with the aim of taking the three points, thus negating the need to use his first team in the remaining League ties, however a few of the team need a week off.

Wilshere is back, much to the delight of Mr Capello, and I expect to see Theo start alongside Bendtner. Rosicky will almost certainly play in what will be his 5th CL game against Shakhtar, having played them with both Dortmund and Sparta. Who plays alongside Jack and Mozart is anyone’s guess, but here is mine …

Fabianski

Sagna  Squillaci  Koscielny   Clichy

Eboue  Nasri  Wilshere  Rosicky

Walcott  Bendtner

It must be admitted that we do not travel well in Europe, particularly to the frozen East. The win in Belgrade was our first in some time. However, with the above team I believe we can get a result in Donetsk. We must continue our defensive solidarity and rely on Theo’s speed to create chances for the Dane. Mr Wenger has been talking up Walcott in the press, saying that he is ahead of TH14 at the same age, one can only hope he develops in the same manner. Games like tonight are made for Walcott, and his early season form suggests he is ready to step up to the plate and become the player we all so fervently wish him to be (if only to shut up Hansen). Nasri will once again have to show his new found brilliance. Can Eboue play as a midfield enforcer, does he have the discipline or will Mr Wenger use young Eastmond?

Donetsk has had a short but troubled history, established  in 1869, it has been overrun by both Communist Russia and Nazi Germany. Prior to World War 2 there was a large Jewish congregation which was murdered when a concentration camp opened outside the city. Following the war the city was rebuilt using forced labour from the surrounding Communist held countries during which thousands died of malnutrition. The city remains an almost even split of  Ukranians and ethnic Russians (wiki).

Can we win? This will be more difficult than the home leg. Will we win? Depends upon Theo

COYRRG

138 Responses to Big Night for Theo

1. pat says:

2-0 to the Theo…

2. charybdis1966 says:

A considered and even handed preview there Radders, cheers, a lot more even handed than I could ever be, but then I’m less balanced than you.
    I also think it will be a big night for Jack who will replace Cesc as our fulcrum – he will have to make us tick although I expect him to be aided and abetted by our little Wolfgang A. also.
    It was sickening to see the Spuds celebrate as disproportionately as only the Spuds can – it was only a group game FFS, you haven’t won the dam thing yet you deluded fools.
    Sadly I give it 48 hours till they release the DVD of it, the shameless, classless twunts.

3. Carlito11 says:

I know Chamakh needs a rest but I’d rather see him up front with Theo and Bentner than have Eboue in midfield- I think he takes so much pressure off the defence by just holding the ball in the attacking half. Do you think we might have one of Kozzer, Squid or JD at DM? Eastmond didn’t look ready for this level last week at the barcodes.

4. Ufunnylot says:

Only a gooner can come out with “a decent team like Shakhatar”.
    Since when was Shakhatar a decent team? Barcelona, Real, Inter, Shakhatar….!!!!
    Is this so when you beat them you can write another piece on how good you are?

5. charybdis1966 says:

So 2 defeats in 30 games means they are not a good side “UWinalot” – I’m guessing you are a Spud gloating about a win for against a Rafa violated side?
    So when is the DVD out by the way, have the DVD presses being working overtime last night in the N17 swamplands ?

6. fizagooner says:

whoever played tonight, i hope we can win..

Hi Ufunny etc etc,

If a pile of crap like totnum can beat Inter, then its fair to say that many of the lesser teams should be taken seriously. There is nothing wrong with paying an opponent respect, its putting out DVD’s for minor victories that makes a team look small……

8. charybdis1966 says:

Winalot seems like another spud who leaves a childish, randomn comment and scarpers off after it(a web version of “knock down ginger”, which figures as he is probably about 8 years old anyway); another internet saddo/gimp.
    Still the spuds seem to attract that kind of support.

Having far too many sad spud friends for my liking I’m being called upon to compliment them for their performance last night – why would you need a gooner to say ‘well done’ 🙄

10. 26may1989 says:

Nice write up as ever Radders, but that “frozen East” chestnut is a bit off the mark: the minimum temperature tonight in Donetsk is 8˚C, and London is further north than Donetsk.

2-1 to us tonight.

And Ufunnylot, well done for showing your footballing ignorance: Shaktar are not only reigning Ukrainian champions, they also won the UEFA Cup in 2009, beating Marseille, Spurs, CSKA Moscow, Dynamo Kyiv and Werder Bremen along the way. Oh and they beat a small team called Barcelona in that year’s CL group stages.

11. Thanks for the post Raddy, thats a fine team you’ve put out there – I would hope Chamakh’s on the plane but maybe JET will get a chance to play too.

I feel sorry for JET, he gets talked up on Arse.com and then doesn’t appear in enough games to really see where he’s at now.

Morning peaches,

Totnum are 10 years behind Arsenal. They are just building a new training ground to be completed a decade after Colney, if they build a new stadium that will also be 10 years behind the Emirates. They have fans who believe homophobia is OK and a punch up after the game is a good thing.

I can unashamedly say that Gareth Bale is a fantastic player and not feel as though I am not being a proper Arsenal suppporter. You try to get a spud fan to say anything good about an Arsenal player – they can’t do it because they don’t understand that if you know you are great you don’t have to prove it by denying quality in others.

I’m forgetting my manners, great post Raddy.

I see the mischievous press are trying to make it sound as though Dudu has been critical of us, I’m sure all he wants to do is to reassure their fans that he is 100% committed to Shakhtar after our demonstartion of love for him at the Emirates.

14. 26may1989 says:

Terrible result for Spurs last night, with Bale and Modric putting in excellent performances for the benefit of Barcelona. They’ll look great in the red and blue stripes.

Not a popular view amongst Gooners obviously, but I’m pleased Spurs did well last night, I’d much rather see them prosper than either Chelsea or United. Makes you think the upcoming North London is going to be a bit tastier than the League Cup game though.

15. Ufunnylot says:

” And Ufunnylot, well done for showing your footballing ignorance: Shaktar are not only reigning Ukrainian champions, they also won the UEFA Cup in 2009″

Admittedly that does give them a better European history than your sorry club.

Ukranian champions?
    Enlighten me, when did the Ukrain become a footballing power?

Sunderland beat bigger teams, doesn’t make them a great team really does it?

Like I said, build it up then tomorrow you can all congratulate each other on how well you done.

And Im not a spud, but you can smell your guts wrenching after their win last night.

16. bops says:

Eboue playing CM.. remember the last time that happened ?? yah thats right.. WBA at home.. Too many attacking players in the squad for my liking.. necessary to strike a balance.. maybe LJW and Sami can play together at CM with Rosicky in the hole.. COYRRG !!!!

Ufunny etc etc,

You are welcome on here as long as you keep it polite and respectful, but you will not be taken seriously unless you stop hiding and declare which team you support … I’m guessing chelski …. perhaps you’d like to enlighten us?

18. pat says:

Would like to see JET get a run out but would be more likely in the next CL game after we win this one…

19. 26may1989 says:

That’s a shame, turns out Ufunnylot isn’t that funny after all. Just a bit of a pillock.

20. pat says:

will have to settle for Walcott tearing the place up I guess – man! he looks on fire doesnt he? found a football brain too (definately not Waddles one though).

Agree about Ebuoe – needs to be a wide RIGHT player if he is on the pitch.

21. charybdis1966 says:

I think Winalot has shown his pedigree(Chum) with his comments – I say bin the loser. Life is too short to waste time on saddos like him/it.

22. Neamman says:

Fab
    Sagna Kosigny Djourou Clichy
    Nasri Wiltshire Rosicky Lansbury
    Nic B Theo

I think we need to rest Squilli, hes played a lot the last 5-6 weeks. Also I rate a Dane to do better in the cold than an African.

23. gunnern5 says:

Good overview Raddy: I’m always nervous when we go to the smaller grounds – the fan support is fantastic and very intimidating. We’ve had mixed results over the years and this time around I fear the worst as Shaktar are smarting from the Emirates result and have something to prove to themselves and their fans. Let’s hope for an early goal to quieten down the crowd.

All that said it would be a coming of age for our team if we win and a real confidence boost to qualify for the last 16 after 4 games. But we never seem to take the easy route, do we?

24. Morning chary – generous as ever 🙂

25. charybdis1966 says:

Hey Peachy, I thought the dog food gag was a good one. 🙂

26. Red Arse says:

Morning Guys,

Really nice Post as usual BR. 🙂

Can I remind everyone, that we have to be careful about how we treat unfortunates like Uthingy.

He’s not been out long, you know, and sometimes forgets his medication.

27. charybdis1966 says:

Hello RedA – are those the meds that turn the frowns upside down?

28. Anyone fancy volunteering to write a match report for us for tomorrow – you overseas chaps have more time after the game, you’d just need to email it to us at arsenalnuts@live.co.uk and we can sort it in the morning 😀

29. 🙂 the dog food gag was indeed clever and funny

30. When’s the podcast chary?

31. charybdis1966 says:

Peachy, I have a feeling it’ll be next week as Tim’s still inviting contributors to leave monologues on his skype account.
    I’ll post up the link though, provided I end up sounding cool, sophisticated and urbane of course.

For some reason the cartoon of a woman wearing a big tin can labelled “Chum” (“She’s dressed up like a dog’s dinner”) came to mind when I saw Winalots comments.

Chary. Fine work this morning 🙂

Winalot. As to the power of Ukrainian football….

The last English team to play in Donetsk was the English National team in the WC qualifiers in 2009, where Ukraine won 1-0. They lost at Wembley thanks to a very late Terry goal.

Muppet ….

33. Red Arse says:

Following on from the brief discussion, yesterday, about Arsenal’s shareholding (well me talking to myself, really 🙂 ) and my final comment that “something will have to give”, I note, this morning, that a city report is saying Lady Nina’s agent is in serious talks with another shareholder, believed to be Stan “silent fart” Kroenke re the sale of her shares, worth about £128m.

Talk about prescient, eh? 🙂

34. Red Arse says:

BR,

The last time we played Shakhtar away, (2007?) we lost 3:0. 😦

35. Red Arse says:

Looking at all the team suggestions, I note that everyone seems to have consigned Vela to the waste bin.

I’m not too sure about that! 🙂

36. SharkeySure says:

Nice write up Mr Radders, although I don’t expect we’ll line up 4-4-2 !!

I wonder if tonight isn’t a night for a curveball and the throwing in of JET.

If Eastmond plays, I really hope that I actually notice him tonight.

37. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

If Eastmond plays, I’m going to start watching cricket.

Please don’t wish that upon me! 🙂

38. SharkeySure says:

Not so much the waste bin Red, but tonight doesn’t really look tailor made for him.

I’ll be happy to see ‘his chances’ being given to others now. He just doesn’t look ‘ready’ at the moment.

39. 26may1989 says:

RA, I don’t know why you’ve got such a downer on Eastmond, it seems at odds with your usual views. He’s young, inexperienced, is behind Coquelin and Frimpong for the DM role and, having grown up as a full back, is still growing into this different position. He may have had a mediocre last time out but in the past he’s put some good performances in.

Cut the boy some slack!

Anyway, cricket’s ace, at least I’m hoping it will be this winter.

40. SharkeySure says:

Nothing but nothing could drive me to watch cricket !!!

I’m really on the fence re Eastmond. I just expect to notice every Arsenal player contibuting to wins (and even losses!!). I barely noticed he was there last week, and likewise a few other times when he’s turned out for us.

41. SharkeySure says:

Came across this at work just now:

BRADI_4_1/4_05/04/16

I don’t know why I bothered to post it either …

Cricket is Ace.

SS. May I respectfully say that I believe the days of being able to describe an AFC set up as being 4-4-2 or 5-3-1-1 or 4-3-3 are all but over. Our team is so flexible e.g. where does Songinho play in a 4-1-4-1 ? I could go on but this is tailor made for a longer post (not be me!!).

With our FB’s playing so far forward and Nasri playing as supplementary striker, I would say we play 4-2-4, but even then I am not sure…..

43. SharkeySure says:

May I respctfully reply as follows:

Fair do’s I do see where you’re comng from, but the basic team selection seems to support the starting position of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.

I completely agree that once we have kicked off then its anybodys guess.

On 1st Nov at 10.32am over on the ‘other site’, there was a link to a brilliant video that had great examples of how our central 3 rotated and alternated against West Ham.

44. Red Arse says:

26,

Sorry about the delay in reply.

You have a point about me being down on Eastmond, although it was intended, this time, as a mock comment, linked with a disparaging remark about cricket (which I actually like), but I am sure it is now becoming boring.

Anyway, I will button my lip about him from now on. Sorry! 🙂

Match day. Yum yum, my favourite.
    BigRaddy can post the team whichever way he likes, but even 1-2-7-1 is actually 4-4-2 in disguise.

Sharkey,
    “BRADI_4_1/4_05/04/16”?????

RA,
    Stan Kroenke is very much in the driving seat, me thinks. Apart from Lady Nina’s shares, poor old Danny Fiszman is very unwell and I am sure will sell his remaining shares, and consider that he has already sold some to Stan, shows where he would like future control to lie.

Right, off to find this vid you mentioned, Sharkey.

Sharkey, no squid, no cricket…a picture is forming!

48. Red Arse says:

You are right Micky, about Fizman and Kroenke.

The one person I have a little sympathy for in all this is Peter Hill Wood.

He is a pompous old buffoon, but consider; he sold his 45% (?) shareholding to David Dein for less than half a million pounds, with a snide comment that Dein was simply tying up capital, with no hope of return.

Dein then sold a chunk of his holding to Fizman, made £78m for himself, and another £150m (potentially) for Fizman.

That’s a lot of dosh to “throw away”. Lack of judgement by our great chairperson?

Nice write up Raddy but I remain cautious about tonight, and though not directly related the spuds winning last night puts more pressure on me personally, even though i am only watching.
    Arshavin gets a lot of stick from some supporters but he is the only player to have played all 10 league games, so the rest will do him good.

I can’t see theo starting,as I think we will be pretty defensive at least at the start,which is not Wenger’s way, but if we could win,as you say we can put this competition to bed until the Spring.

Yes they do have a good home record but even allowing for the fact that we saw them playing away,i don’t rate them very highly.
    nasri needs to conduct things with mozart though I feel Chamakh may play the lone striker role,but at the moment it is all guess work.

A friend of mine has a son who works for Fiszman,mainly looking after his boat/ship near cannes and he told me that Fiszman has cancelled all trips away from his home in Switzerland,as you most probably know he is terminally ill and can’t travel anymore.

51. SharkeySure says:

“but even 1-2-7-1 is actually 4-4-2 in disguise” – lol

RA,
    Bad business from Mr Hillwoody indeed. What I will say for the Hillwood family in general, is that they established the Arsenal Way of conducting affairs, and steered a very steady ship while all around were exhibiting some fairly chavesque tendencies. I think there may be a lot of respectful cooling off as a result of Danny Fiszman’s health. He holds around the same (16%) as Lady Nina.

Sharkey,
    Thanks for that. Good little video.

54. SharkeySure says:

MIDI – I was just surprised that it was all knocked together so quickly.

Take a peek at a website called Zonal Marking, . net I think, thats a lot more of the same sort of analyis. No vids but very very informative.

55. 26may1989 says:

RA, no worries, I find it reassuring that even you can have a blind spot! Makes me feel much more comfortable with my own, less reasonable prejudices!

56. gunnern5 says:

Micky89: The last time that I tallied the shares up these were the numbers.

Kroenke 18656 shares 29.98%
    Usmanov 16488 shares 26.50%
    Fiszman 10001 shares 16.07%
    Lady N 9893 shares 15.90%
    Hill W 400 shares .64%
    Lord H 53 shares .09%
    Friar 47 shares .08%
    Sir C 40 shares .06%
    1200 others 6641 shares 10.67%

From what I have read whoever gains 18666 (30%) shares has to make an offer for the remaining shares.

57. Red Arse says:

GN5,

So;
    If Kroenke made a bid, he would have Fizman’s, Lady Nina’s and the minnows shares; 30 + 16 + 16 + 11 = 73%, assuming Usmanove did not sell his 27%.

If Usmanov made a bid, he would have 27 + 11 + 16 = 52%, assuming neither Kroenke nor Fizman sold their shares.

Either way could give a controlling interest in AFC Holdings.

A lot of assumptions there though.

** Lady Nina is reported to be pissed off with Fizman/Kroenke for kicking her off the Board of Directors. More likely to side with Usmanov?

** Fizman is unlikely to decline an offer from Usmanov if that was the only offer in town, given the state of his health.

** The minnows are most likely to be swallowed up by whichever bid hits them first.

** The biggest assumption is that either Usmanov or Kroenke, having lost any bid battle, would still be prepared to retain their shareholding, and have an awful lot of dosh tied up in what would effectively be unsaleable shares and no say in the running of the company. Tricky!

However it goes, the outcome would be very unsatisfactory, unless one or the other of Kroenke or Usmanov was offered enough to make them bow out with a nice profit.

guner5,
    We like someone with a title, don’t we!
    You are right about having to make an offer, but it doesn’t have to be accepted, and I think that therein lies a problem. Perhaps neither Stan or Usmanov are interested in more shares without gaining control, whch means they would need both Lady Nina’s and Fiszman’s shares, unless of course one or other was willing to flog to the other. As I was saying before, it would be grossly incensitive to be hounding Fiszman at this time.

59. David Dein must be hovering somewhere – he’d love to get back into the club.

60. Anyone fancy volunteering to write a match report for us for tomorrow – you overseas chaps have more time after the game, you’d just need to email it to us at arsenalnuts@live.co.uk and we can sort it in the morning 😀

RA,
    You may well be right about Lady N being pissed off, but she does have the well being of the club at heart and may simply not be willing to sell to Usmanov. I also don’t think you can count on any, let alone all, of the minnows selling up. I gather that Blackstone, negotiating for Lady N, are in talks with a third party. Personally, I hope its not Usmanov.

Peaches,
    I doubt that we will see DD back. He is rich and busy, but who knows.

Peaches,
    I am not volunteering. Looks like I will only see the first half (negotiations yet to be concluded), and that would mean reporting blindfolded on the second half. It would, however, allow me to put much Micky Spin and Swerve into the report. So, on second thoughts….

My last point on all this takeover saga is that we simply do not need some ego crazed lunatic at the helm simply because he has great pots of cash. Happily, we are one of the few clubs for whom that is true.

64. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Who can tell what will happen. Don’t forget, Lady Nina received these shares from her husband’s estate, and she has made no secret of the fact she knows sod all about football.

She clearly wants to sell and has been trying to find a buyer for about a year now. She will go with whomever makes a bis.

I don’t really know why you say she might not sell to Usmanov because she has the club’s interests at heart?
    Is he any worse/better than Kroenke? How can you tell?

The minnows don’t really count I’m afraid. Should either Kroenke or Usmanov reach the magic 90% shareholding mark, the compulsory sale/purhase provisions of the Companies Act 2006, (City Rules) will apply.

RA,
    Sadly, I must go out. I actually came a little unstuck on this issue on another site as I can’t say what I know personally about one or two of the key players. I must stress that I know bugger all about finances and the rules of engagement. The tragedy of the whole thing is that I am very happy with the way things are. Sadly, money speaks, and it is worrying when matters are out of our control (the fans), particularly when it concerns the one you love!
    Back later.

66. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I will probably not be here when you get back, so I will leave this note for you.

Your knowledge of some of the key players is 100% greater than mine, as I know bugger all. I am more than happy to accept your word on this. 🙂

My conjectures on this matter are just that — conjectures — nothing more. It is not my area of speciality.

Now if it’s tax advice that you are after ……. 🙂

67. Thanks Micky – hope your negotiations are successful but you’re right half a game and your own spin might not do the job – could be interesting though 😉

What time is kick-off? I have a nagging suspicion it is not the normal 20.45 CET

69. Red Arse says:

BR,

It’s scheduled for 7:45 UK, according to Sky.

Build up on Sky starts at 6:00 UK time.

Back,
    Oh but Peaches, I have already done the second half write up!

Usual time BR.

RA,
    If you are stil here, let me further stress that I have absolutely no idea what the final outcome will be. So I am in the speculating/hoping zone as well.

73. Red Arse says:

Micky,

As I said last night while talking to myself about AFC’s potential takeover, “something has got to give”.

One way or the other the club will eventually be owned by one guy, and whatever happens after that, who knows.

I don’t much like any of the principals involved frankly, but what I/we think doesn’t count unfortunately.

RA,
    Only start worrying when you find that you are talking to yourself out loud!
    Incidently, Kroenke also owns 50% of a company called something like “Arsenal Broadband” which is where a large part of increased future revenues are supposed to be. I am also not entirely sure that in the short term at any rate, the club will necessarily fall into single ownership, particularly if they start to pay out dividends.

Peaches,
    The second half of my report begins: “It was a dark and stormy night, as the men from North London emerged from the depths of the gloomy tunnel..”. There are more ways than one to write a match report!

76. Save it Micky – you’ll need it one day 😉

77. Raddy there was a great debate on our 2nd favourite site this morning about the k.o. time as their post caused much confusion by intimating that it was an early one – its definitely 7.45 our time.

I don’t believe it, RvP has been announced for the Holand squad. It’s about time we grew some nuts and told RvP and the Holland coach that he will not be available until he’s proved his fitness and played several games for us.

Thanks.

RA. I agree, we will have a single owner in the future, and IMO it makes little difference which one. Clearly AFC want the American having welcomed him so openly

Damn right Rasp. Each time he plays for them they mess him up for 3 months. It is time to put a stop to it.

Mr Wenger should respectfully tell them to “Flikker Op”

Peaches. I thought that Eastern games start earlier, maybe because Rubin kicked off at 6 CET.

Team announced. Same as mine apart from Eastmond instead of Sagna with Eboue playing RB, and JD not Kos which is a strange decision (IMO)

Rasp,
    Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t Arsene get on the blower to the Dutch and simply pretend that RvP is injured!!!

Peaches,
    I am always here when you need me. I have three match reports all ready. One for hot weather, one cold and something really special for rain.
    Back for kick off.

I see i have been made redundant so I will write a post on le groan full of swear words even if we win by 6.

Joking apart the thought of Djorou with Eboue up his arsenal does not give me confidence,but what do I know.

kelsey,

If you’re offering to write a match report, we gratefully accept 😛

It’s OK Rasp, i have been approached by The Northampton Evening Echo for this game only.

87. Irishgunner says:

Evening all

Shakhtar Donetsk coach Mircea Lucescu on the chance to avenge his side’s drubbing by Arsenal at the Emirates: “I hope that in this game we will have valid and neutral refereeing. The mistakes of the referee in favour of Arsenal were clearly visible. The third goal was not a penalty, the players pulled shirts together – and it should have been a red card for a hard Jack Wilshere tackle. We have been waiting impatiently to play Arsenal at home. That final score in London was not fair.”

UMMM, heard this somewhere before.

Irish.

long time no hear 😉

by the way for those who know dandan,he is back home but has a few personal things to sort out and will be back on the blog ASAP.

90. Irishgunner says:

It has Kelsey – how are you?

Lets hope we have a good evening’s entertainment.

As for the comments – excuses by the manager who got hammered.

91. Irishgunner says:

Sexy captain we have 🙂

Irish,
    Tony Adams is back?

93. Irishgunner says:

😆 Micky

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Theo through the middle
    Theo through the middle
    la la la la
    la la la la

96. kelsey – its all yours, sorry I’ve been out have you emailed me 😉

97. Theirry would be proud of that.

As I know Rasp is out I can say that he has always said that Theo shouldn’t bother to go up to defend corners but hovver around the half way line to pick up a ball that comes out from the corner and look what happens!!!!!!!!

Brilliant, just brilliant, cool as you like 😀

I think fab has got a new pair of hands,and Eboue is awful.Did you see nasri on the goal line covering for eboue.

99. Irishgunner says:

Arsenal in can’t defend high balls shocker

eboue’s fault as i predicted

And Eastmond. The lad is totally out of his depth, cannot protect the backline and is contributing nothing

Big game for Eastmond,perhaps a wrong choice.

I have to say nic is not really match fit,wouldn’t be surprised to see him come off at half time,hopefully followed by eboue

104. Irishgunner says:

We could do with waking up

Well, I thought clichy was playing well, but….eastmond got caught again he was 5 yards behind Eduardo.

It would be too easy for me to say AGAIN..give Gibbs a run!!!

Who’s on the bench. PV4 by any chance?

Dreadful half from our boys.

Very poor …. Eastmond, Clichy, Eboue.

Poor. Nik, TR, JD

OK Theo, Fab2, Jack, Squid, Nasri

Yet their keeper is crap.We need to attack them more.

Too frantic, not enough control. Lack of understanding in the middle.

111. Mid-field definitely not in control of this game.

Clichy must learn to hoof the ball out when he’s in a position of danger, thats was a ridiculous ball to have nicked off his toes.

112. kelsey – is that a yes???????

113. Irishgunner says:

Jens Lehmann is a legend – he’s so serious but hilariously funny

Jamie Redknapp is a fucking knob

114. I hope Arsene has a bloody good shout at half time.

115. Yes Irish defintiely a knob

And Son of a Knob

peaches, not tomorrow as i have a post for friday as arranged.

118. So you do kelsey, so you do

What has happened to Smudger? That was in no way a penalty yet he makes out we were lucky.

I am so disappointed that he has become anti-AFC after such a fine career with us. Maybe he is still peed off about Wrighty

JET on. Fairplay AW. Give the kids a throw

121. Irishgunner says:

Not the end of the world. Just beat Partizan at home.

Really really silly.

Two defensive errors and 20 minutes of lax play cost us the tie. We totally dominated the second half but the shots lacked accuracy and power,

Eastmond was a failed experiment, Vela is a damp squib and Eboue is just not good enough. Nik was anonymous but didn’t have a single ball into an area where he could attack.

Fairplay to the Shaktar defence, they did their jobs well and kept us at bay.

Three points from the next home game and tonight will be a distant memory.

Just got in and seen the goals. I can’t comment on the game as a whole, but I have just seen a typical Clichy mistake – will that boy never learn? I think he has had his chance and repeatedly makes the same schoolboy mistakes – what if he had done that in the CL final?

124. Hi Rasp – Shakhtar defended man for man which was not the case at The Emirates a couple of weeks ago …… Eboue lunged to give away the free kick and Clichy – well as you said, how many times have we seen Clichy being clever in defence and it cost us.

AW was suitably pee’d off I reckon.

125. Irish is doing a match report 🙂

126. Frothing Inarticulate Loon says:

Bendtner was awful tonight, hardly controlled a ball, won hardly anything in the air. He was totally dominated by the SD Cb’s !!! He worked hard, but just needed to be a bit cuter with some of hios position under high balls or when receiving balls.

Eboue. I’ve never rated him that highly defensively, but today he was poor even by his own low standards. Offered next to nothing going forwards either.

Eastmond wasn’t too bad, just a little out of his depth.

Whats new to say about Clichy..??

At least we made a game of it second half.

One last thing, how good did Eduardo look tonight. Such an intelligent and talented footballer. A real joy to watch hom play tonight…shame it was against us !

Nite all !!

127. SharkeySure says:

He’s quite articulate for a Loon isn’t he ?? 😉

128. gunnern5 says:

Just got home after watching the game and then trying to enjoy dinner – some hope after watching that dross.

To me our best players were Fabianski and Squibs. The worst were Eboue, Clichy and wait for it WALCOTT he was atrocious after a stunning goal he was totally useless and squandered the best chances we had; I honestly cannot remember him doing anything right after his goal.

Eboue was a joke and I was calling for him to be subbed after 21 minutes.

Clichy once again tried to be clever when all he had to do was put the ball in touch – when on when will he learn — we know the answer don’t we — NEVER!.

Oh yea – where the hell was Captain Sicky ? and what a wonderful contribution from club foot Nik.

If I sound bitter, it’s not surprising.

129. barumgooner says:

Morning all. IMO only Nasri, Jack and Fab2 contributed anything near to a decent performance last night. The 2 cbs had moments of both good and bad. Both fbs were poor. Niks touch was awful and after the goal Theo was selfish and wasteful. Didnt really notice Rosicky apart from moaning at Theo and Eastmond was a bit like a lamb to the slaughter. The whole game had a feel of un-importance to it from the off. AW fielded a weak side so as to rest a few and not risk unnecessary injuries and to be fair he was probably right, It shouldn’t actually do us too much harm, just not fun to watch ( or indeed play in I should imagine.

Morning,
    Only saw first half+15 mins, however I am not concerned. We will pick up the additional point we may need.
    You pick a team like that, and immediately you send a message to BOTH teams.
    Sharkey pointed me towards an interesting video yesterday of how our midfield works. Rotational triangular stuff. Well our mid last night had no understanding whatsoever, quite apart from the fact that Eastmond and Wilshere have a combined age of four. I think.
    Rotating players is fine, but virtually a whole team. However they train, you are not going to achieve the fluency.
    So its no panic at this end. Well, apart from the lack of cover at right back.
    Actually my biggest concern this morning is Rasp’s news that RvP has been called up by the Dutch. Really quite annoyed about that.

It speaks volume when despite conceding 2 goals Fabianski was our most composed player on the pitch,followed By Wilshere,though he tired in the last 20 minutes .Even allowing for injuries,Wenger got it wrong and should have either started with Sagna & Koscienlny or at least subbed the dreadful Eboue and the inexperienced Eastmond.As for Clichy, how many more times is he going to get caught whilst defending.Vela,bedntner are damp squids,and for all his general play,Rosicky has lost his shooting boots,just the occasional stab.The game showed how much we miss Cesc,and unfortunately Nasri couldn’t generate momentum in midfield.Theo took his goal well, but it didn’t drive him on .Are Schaktar that good, or did we just not perform on the night,and instead of putting the CL to bed we have a tricky period of games with Braga away up next.A familiar feeling,we always make it difficult for ourselves.Ironically,Eduardo took both goals over the 2 legs better than our forwards could have done.

Sorry Micky, I saw it differently to you.

K,
    I am not sure we do see it differently, other than you sound a little more cheesed off. Still needing a point is a pain, I agree, but Braga away and Prague home. That is, if we do need a point, which I doubt.

Ok, not so good.
    Thought Braga and Prague drew last night. Wrong. We do need more points.

134. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, MDi89 – Prague ? Do you mean Partizan Belgrade ?

Theres a NEW POST

136. Ufunnylot says:

Theo the one trick pony. Your manager is funny coming out with Theo being at Henry’s level.
    Henry could change a game, all Theo can do is run, maybe he should enter the olympics instead.
    Good night though, very enjoyable to watch.