Donetsk Forget To Mind The Gap In London As We Celebrate 6 Goals

“I don’t think I will celebrate,”  Eduardo.

True to his word, everyone’s favourite Crozilian didn’t even acknowledge his consolation strike, but how we celebrated. You guys behind the goal, I saw you, jumping up and down like it was an Arsenal goal, and the Nicklas Bendtner look-alike in the crowd I saw you too, holding that number 9 shirt proudly aloft, and we all heard the announcer acclaim the goal as if it had been scored a year ago. The standing ovation afterwards was just proper order for a player who didn’t get a real send-off, he has now. Yes, us being 5-0 up at the time helped the mood a lot, but be honest, how many shouted “yes” and punched the air when he scored? We all want the clean sheets but exceptions must be made, and this was one of those times. Its almost like a weight off our shoulders that we gave Dudu his dues.

Eduardo aside, last night’s game was very comfortable. The Ukrainian visitors should know that when you come to London you must mind the gap, not alone on the underground but those around the Emirates pitch. Give us enough gaps and we will punish you.

Donetsk are a far better side than what they showed last night. In the second half we saw they could pass the ball and press a lot better than what they did. Its almost as if they had decided before the game that they would lose here, give us the group, try and get something from us in Ukraine and go for second which they should get based on the evidence so far. Not a great plan and honestly a much harder match might have suited us with Manchester City coming up on Sunday. Not that we should have been ran into the ground, but it was almost a five-a-side training session at times and we rarely had to move out of second gear.

Apart from Eddie, the other opposition player to bring a smile to our face last night was Pyatov – what a shocking ‘keeper he is! His missed catch for Song’s goal even had van der Saar laughing, while my eyes may have deceived me, I thought I spied our Moroccan making a cup of tea after checking was he onside for our fifth.

It was good to see Fabregas and Walcott get a run out. Cesc’s touch was a bit off at times but that’s to be expected after his lay-off, hopefully it will be better by Sunday. It was also interesting to see Wenger play Walcott in the middle when he came on. He didn’t have much time, but on one occasion near the end in particular we saw how his speed has the potential to wreck havoc in the opposition defence.

We now have 9 points from 3 games, with 14 goals scored and only 2 against. A draw away in the next match should see us top the group and after that Wenger can bring out the kids and rest some key players.

Player Ratings:

Fabianski (7) – Didn’t have a whole load to do but made an excellent save at the start of the second half to keep the score at 2-0. Looks more solid in recent weeks.

Eboue (7) – Not too much defending to do, and concentrated on attack. Linked up well at times, but was wasteful on occasion.

Squillaci (7) – Again didn’t have much to do, but should have got out quicker to Eduardo to stop his shot.

Djourou (7) – Made a fine last ditch tackle in the second half and won us a penalty. Will be back on the bench once Vermaelen and possibly Koscielny return.

Clichy (6) – Bombed forward when he could and wasn’t overly troubled by the opposition. I do still worry about his positioning at times.

Song (8) – I thought Song had a great game last night. He won ball around midfield, tidied up, linked well and scored a goal.

Wilshere (9) – Played a central role even though Cesc was back and in the first half completed more passes than the Captain. Great vision, great positioning and great finish.

Rosicky (8) – Started well and his name kept popping up. Involved in defence and attack.

Fabregas (7) – Not at his sharpest but for me he did a fair share of defensive work when it was needed. Well taken penalty.

Nasri (9) – Brilliant once again. Played some superb passes and scored a great goal.

Chamakh (9) – I thought he would be a good signing. WRONG! He has been a great signing. Tremendous work-rate, pressures from the front, excellent hold up play and a cool as you like finish.

Subs

Denilson did well when he came on. Made some strong challenges.

Arshavin was given a breather by Wenger and played little more than a cameo. Got involved in some good link up play.

Walcott didn’t get a whole load of time and the game was well won but hopefully we’ll see more of him down the middle in weeks to come.

(It would be remiss of me not to mention the “situation” at Old Trafford. First Tevez, then Ronaldo and now Rooney – smells of a selling club to me!)

Written by Irishgunner

57 Responses to Donetsk Forget To Mind The Gap In London As We Celebrate 6 Goals

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Victoria Station?

2. damien says:

Strangely Chavski are out of the drama. I bet it will be only a few days before Abra says he wants Rooney!

3. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Victoria Concordia Crescit Station!

Top match report Irish.

I share your view that the reception for Eduardo and the celebration of his goal showed what a great club we are and demonstrated that if sometimes our supporters are not the most vocal, they are the most appreciative and fair minded.

I thought Fabianski had a good game and must continue as our No.1. Djourou did very well and is growing in confidence. There were a couple of errors, but he is a fantastic 4th choice CB and may well earn promotion up the pecking order if he continues like this.

Clichy is becoming a major concern for me. If you viewed the shape of the team on the pitch, EE was mostly in the perfect position for a RB whereas Clichy goes marauding forward and leaves gaping holes defensively. I hope he will concentrate on his primary duty against citeh.

A few thoughts from the game.The Ukrainian league bares no comparison to top flight football in the PL Nevertheless a compact display by all our boys but a special mention for Wilshere,Nasri and Chamakh and Song.I have been an advocate that the more Jack plays,even at his tender age,the better he will become.That 90th minute red card was unnecessary and hopefully he will learn, and we will miss him over the next 3 games.He is a feisty player,but that is what we need.I believe if a player is in form,and young it does no harm to play him twice a week.Cesc couldn’t have asked for a better warm up than the 60 minutes he had,and Nasri is becoming an immense player.Fantastic reaction for Eduardo,a real gentleman,other could learn a lot from him.Vela playing in the reserves in the afternoon,confirms that he doesn’t feature in AW’s long term plans.A big test awaits at City and then we might get a better insight as to how the team will progress.Finally looking at some of the teams that have qualified for the CL the gap in class with the top teams is vast, and maybe the rules should be changed to make the group stage a knockout,though detrimental to gate money and TV rights.We just play too much football in England.
    ————————————————–

My take on the Rooney story.It’s all about cash.He will go to City and Adebayor will go to whoever pays him the most,regardless of which club or which country it is.

6. Sam says:

Let’s not be too carried away by the scoreline. The opposition maybe big fish in a small pond ie like Celtic/Rangers.I hope the gunners will respond in like manner against MC. In Tevez they have a player who can run at defenders .
    Messi caused chaos and the same with Rooney/Drogba when they played against the gunners.Everton showed how to stifle Torres and in the process showed how goals can be scored from outside the box.The gunners,imo,tend to eleborate outside these areas and as a result were punished when the attack broke down.
    For the gunners to show they are are a credible force,they must put out a statement of intent iebeat MC.A draw still leaves unanswered questions.

Hi Sam,

I agree with what you say. Clichy in particular will have to be disciplined. I was really impressed with the way Jack stuck to his task – he sat in front of the back four and orchestrated the game, he will be a big miss against citeh.

8. Tim says:

I’m happy it wasn’t too tough a game last night. With City playing on Thursday night, our boys will be well rested at this time of the season where we’re facing two games every week until deep into November.

Loved the class reaction by the Emirates crowd to Eduardo’s goal. A proper send-off.

I’d like to echo Irish’s observation about Denilson making some strong challenges – he does seem to have filled out and become a more powerful player than last season which is a vital improvement if he wants to be a top midfielder.

10. SharkeySure says:

Quality write up that Irish….

It was very heartwarming to see Eddies reception when he came on. The reaction to his goal wil be talked about for many years to come…and what a great goal it was as well

11. Red Arse says:

Hi Irish,

loved the Post and your summary. Did you see me waving to you from behind the “North Bank” goal? 🙂

I also agree with your player assessments, except for Chammy. Don’t misunderstand me though. I am very happy with him and I think he will get better and better. But if we call all our ducklings swans, there is nowhere for them to go! 🙂

I enjoyed your “cup of team” description re Chammy’s goal, I actually saw him look across to the linesman first, before taking on the shot, which actually he nearly mucked up. 🙂

12. Red Arse says:

“team” should be tea …. obviously, which is what I am going to get! 🙂

13. 26may1989 says:

Lovely write-up Irish, thanks.

One measure of Arsenal’s dominance last night was how long it was before Fabianski touched the ball with his hands in open play: the 42nd minute by my reckoning.

Shakhtar were much better after half time, when the quick footed Douglas Costa came on and when they played a more pressing game.

I agree Clichy wasn’t great but a lot of his worst positional play came late in the game, when we were well ahead and when he was apparently obsessed with trying to score. But as I said in the summer, I do think Wenger should seriously think of moving Clichy on at the end of this season, as Gibbs is ready and probably the better defender.

I can’t imagine Tevez is very pleased at the idea of Ronney following him to the Wastelands and potentially competing with his out-and-out striker role again. As Kelsey says, it’s just money at play – there’s every chance Wazza will extract a huge new contract and stay at United.

14. Neamman says:

I didnt see the game, it wasnt on here in China, thank God I will be in Thailand in the middle of November. In my bar I decide which game will be shown!!! I am very happy to read good things about Djourou, an experienced international.. I think he can be great for us.
    This weekend is huge.. we HAVE to beat a Top 4 team convincingly!!
    My thoughts on Rooney… he must be nuts.. where can he be a bigger team than MU??? ..much as I hate them.. If i were RM or barca I wouldnt touch him given his history with MU and Everton

15. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all – pleasant surprise to literally bump into Peachy and Raspers cpming out of the stadium after the game.
    So dam cold we could see us all freezing solid as we stood there.

16. charybdis1966 says:

If sanyones interested I’ve written up the match over on Tim’s site: http://www.7amkickoff.com/2010/man-at-the-match-charyits-all-about-eddy/

17. Hey chary, if you fancy some transatlantic blogging I’ve left you a comment in the states 😉

18. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah, seen it Peachy. Good game to see, but a shocking journey in.

19. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I bumped into your post on 7am, not realising it was a good old American site. 🙂

I wrote a Post for Highbury house and it reflected your view, but from the North bank perspective.

Mine was longer! 😉

20. charybdis1966 says:

Oh right RedA – mine was about 1350 words or so, have you got a link for yours?

21. Red Arse says:

To dopey to understand links CharyB.

It’s your mate Rico’s site on Highbury House. 🙂

22. charybdis1966 says:

I googled Highbury house and got a foody’s site with “Rad hapenings” on it. I’ll trawl a bit deeper RedA.

23. Red Arse says:

I posted a bit late, so you can find it on Newsnow at 10:30 this morning.

If anyone asked me about AA, I would have the same problem. How do i find links to AA for instance.

I know it’s dopey but there you go. Sums me up! 🙂

Nice post Irish. A good representation of the game.

Anyone thinking that we will hammer MC needs their bumps feeling. If we leave with a point, we will have done very well,.

We need to win our games against lesser opposition and get draws or wins against our direct rivals away from home, but as with Chelsea I expect a hard working , competitive performance at MC.

25. Red Arse says:

Hi BR,

I think you are right, it’s going to be tough for us, and psychologically it would be bad for us to lose, in the long term.

26. Red Arse says:

Well, while I await some response, any response, from any one, can I tell you that I am looking at the most fantastic gibbous moon.

I cannot help but compare it to the louring clouds that were extant last night, as I set out for the game.

Given the choice, even with the foreknowledge it is the precursor of a frosty night, with the certainty of scraping the car windscreen tomorrow, I would always choose this moon phase. 🙂

27. rockylives says:

Blimey RA – are you channelling Wordsworth?

28. Red Arse says:

Sorry, guys, (well anyone unfortunate enough to have read the above), on reading that on my screen, (I have temporarily given up on touch typing), I realise that it looks pretentious.

Bum! I will never have screen cred! 😦

29. Red Arse says:

Yeah, Rocky.

It’s why I have tried touch typing to stop waxing like a pillock.

I’m going to sod off with my tail between my legs, and try to communicate properly on the morrow. 🙂

RA. You abound with screen cred.

I don’t accept losing at MC will have a detrimental psychological effect, I hope it fired up the boys to do better next time.

But as we will win up in the frozen North, we will never find out …

Off to watch FCK take a hammering at the Nou Camp.

And desperately hoping Totts get a nasty beating in Milan and their plane home gets a 10 hour delay

RA,
    Its a waxing gibbous to be exact, and they are very bad news indeed for us warewolves.

33. Red Arse says:

Thanks BR, you have lifted my spirits, the hope that the Spudoes could get a hammering in Milan has suddenly made life worthwhile!! 🙂

Nite BR, and anyone else out there! 🙂

34. Red Arse says:

Micky, yaay, someone else who talks “gibbous”! I am not a solo weirdo, after all! 🙂

Gulp! Not that I meant you are the same as me, Micky. 🙂

Nite all.

Arsenal sounding off five, Rooneygate and Spurs about to get hammered. Life is very sweet. Apart from the full moon being three days away of course.

Knowing your waxings and your wanings is moon speak, and knowing your moons is essential stuff to the lobster freak, that’ll be me, and there is only one thing I like more than lobster, and that is a free lobster. Full moons, big tides, better hunting!

37. rockylives says:

I like your poetic turn of phrase Redders. More please. But I was wrong to suggest you were channeling Wordsworth. On reading it again (and enjoying it again) it feels more like Seamus Heaney.

On to matters footballistical, I happen to think our team needs to beat one of Chavski, ManIOU and Citeh to get them believing they can win the league this year. Citeh is looming and it feels like a big, big fixture. A point would be fine if the performance is OK, but if we take 3 pts up there it will do a lot for our belief. A defeat, and I fear that our fragile self confidence will be dented further.

38. Irishgunner says:

Evening all,

Glad you agree with me on Denilson Rasp, he did make some strong tackles last night, of course the key is for him to do it in the big games.

Clichy’s positioning has been off for some time, not just in the game last night near the end, I love the guy but he’s not the player he used to be when he burst onto the scene. Hopefully he can find that form, if not young Gibbs won’t hold back in trying to take the spot.

Rocky,
    I only sort of agree. Of course three points would do wonders for many reasons, and as you say one point on the back of a good performance would be fine. It is the “fragile self confidence” that I’m not so sure about. To my mind the WBA result was over confidence, even outright arrogance, from everyone at the club. Players, manager as well as the fans. I do not know one fan that genuinely thought we would not win by three clear goals.
    I could not agree more about Gibbs.

Why do I start blogging when I’m about to start cooking.
    Sorry, and goodnight. I’m an Inter fan tonight. Ciao.

41. Irishgunner says:

😆 @ the spuds

42. rockylives says:

Spuds – hahahahahahahahahaha

43. SharkeySure says:

Spuds – Oh dear.

Now for an Italian pilots strike which as I know to my cost are a regular occurrence.

Come on Inter, another 3 in the 2nd half please

45. gnarleygeorge9 says:

You know the thing that gets under my skin a bit about the Bale hat-trick is that he is now flourishing on the world stage, but his fellow country man Ramsay is still sitting it out 😉

Should we buy Bale? (mainly to annoy the Spuds).

47. gnarleygeorge9 says:

He’s a good player 😉 Maybe go after him once spuds finish outa the top 4, & fail in the CL. Bale will have the taste for the big stage by then, so The Arsenal would appeal to him 😛

48. Neamman says:

After last year we need a good result against a serious rival. A draw will do but if we are to win the PL we need to start beating MC, Chelsea, MU etc especially as the first two already have a lead on us.
    Bale is developing into a great player, would love to have him with us but just cant see it happening, unles we do some sort of swap and give them some serious talent back.
    Lets all recognise the GREAT job Walter Smith has done with Rangers in the CL. In a tough group they are unbeaten and, with just a little luck, could make it into the top 2, unlikely as it seems.

49. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Neamman

Yep with you on Rangers. Go Go Gers.

Maybe a straight swap Denilson for Bale 🙂

Bale could develop into quite a good player once he gets that awful shirt off his back. In a decent team he may develop enough to get a bench seat at THOF, but we would need to loan him out to a crap team like Hull or Brentford first 😉

It is typical of the press bigging up Spud’s injury time performance against a team that had humiliated them in the first half and then just relaxed.Imagine if that had been Arsenal. The headlines would all have been about how we aren’t good enough and how our defence is total rubbish. We are expected to walk a difficult group and they get plaudits for losing.

But I wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂

51. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening BR

Yes, spuds do seem to get lovey dovey treatment from the English press.

Whats happened to London and dumb dumb 😳 I mean dan dan?

London I promise not to use the term le Scrooge on here. From now on I will refer to The Boss as Le mon ami with Scottish tendencies when it come to spending money.

And to all those Scottish out there, my kin come from Fort William so don’t think I’m taking the piss.

Hi GG.

Think we can win in Manchester?

53. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Yes, I reckon Arsenal can cause an upset.

How times have changed when the prospect of us beating citeh would be an ‘upset’, but I know what you mean gg.

It appears that Arsenal, totnum and manure will be fighting over the remaining 2 places in the top 4 and pool will fail to even get into the Europa League.

55. charybdis1966 says:

So Raspers, you have Shitty down as being top 2 for sure ?
    What happpens when Shitty’s owner gets caught on CCTV murdering his servant, will he get extradited ?

Theres a NEW POST