So far so good. Part 1. The Defence – written by BigRaddy

Written by BigRaddy

The Interlull (tm Arseblogger) allows assessment of the season so far,  and despite the paucity of games, we have much to discuss.

I would like to start with our esteemed manager. Apart from the GK blip, Wenger has been very good with 3 top class signings in close season. In my opinion the biggest signing of the summer (or of any summer) was the renewal of Mr. Wenger’s contract. To agree such a long contract (4 years) at his age shows an enormous commitment by a 60+ year old and the level of his love of the club.

It should be remembered that AW could have gone to any club in the World and yet has chosen to stay; for all their wealth and glory neither Barca nor Real Madrid have managed to co-erce him away. Ask yourself this, had AW chosen to take the France manager’s position that he was offered, would France have so badly under-performed and would we be one of the top 6 teams in the World (we currently rank 4th in UEFA’s listings)?

In the games so far we have seen nothing new where substitutions are concerned. At Anfield, 2 subs on 60 mins and RvP on at 76 –  Blackpool 3 subs within 3 minutes on the hour, and Blackburn, 3 subs , two through injury/tiredness and one to give Jack a runaround as he was annoying AW by playing with his gameboy.  I have to say that I have been infuriated in the past with AW’s subs but this season he has changed things when the need has arisen. Taking off two attacking MF’s and replacing them with Vela and RvP at Liverpool was a very positive move and one which eventually brought results.

Mr. Wenger’s tactics have been spot on as well. The first half at Anfield was the template for what we have seen since, the classic Wengerball of possession, changes of pace, overlapping fullbacks and a high defence.

Almunia. Too much has been written about him, but in my opinion he has played as he always does, pulling of some fine saves but being inconsistent on crosses. The Liverpool game encapsulated Almunia – great saves followed by coming for crosses he had no chance of catching and in my opinion a mistake for Liverpool’s goal – I hate to see a GK beaten at his near post, no matter how hard the shot is. That said, he played a blinder at Ewood, and he is our GK.

The new signings are always under the microscope and I believe we have much to be grateful for. Koscielny’s baptism at Anfield was always going to be difficult, yet he passed with flying colours looking confident and comfortable, linking well with TV and covering Sagna when he attacked. The sending off was extremely harsh, though his first yellow for a full bloodied tackle was a delight to see. He is clearly a tough man, to come back after that dreadful tackle by Cole (as deserving a red card as any we will see this season) shows a determination to succeed at his new club. How he would have fared against a fully fit Torres remains to be seen. He wasn’t bullied by Blackburn and more than held his own with the aerial attacks, but he got badly turned by Hadj Diouf (spit spit) for Blackburn’s goal.  One mistake in two games for a newbie is very acceptable.

The signing of Squillaci is very good. I cannot recall seeing him play, but the stats are very impressive. A man with huge experience, played in a CL final and a regular International. I believe he will be the first choice CB ahead of Koscielny in the big games. We have definitely strengthened in the centre of defence, by replacing the creaking limbs of Swiss Phil, WG and Sol with younger players with top flight experience.

Our two full backs have had differing starts. Sagna is in great form, both in attack and defence. One could say that he went missing for Blackburn’s goal but if he is to be an attacking threat (particularly with Theo going central), he is reliant on coverage from others. His is an awkward position because of Theo’s attacking skills outweighing his defensive abilities. How does Sagna choose when to go forward? As he is such a potent weapon both in adding numbers on the right side of attack and in allowing Theo to move centrally , his choices have to be perfect. The space behind him has to be filled by Song or Diaby, and he is dependant upon their awareness of Sagna’s forays.

Clichy has been criticised  for his continuing poor form and many call for the emergence of Gibbs, but I think he needs more games to re-establish himself as one of the world’s top left backs. He has been turned too often for comfort and his distribution has been poor, in particular his crossing.  However,class will out and Clichy is a class performer. Some of his interplay with with Arshavin is excellent as they become an effective team, I love to see Gael with the ball at his feet in a tight situation and with AA in front of him – they contrive to play almost magical football in turning defence into attack. It is also interesting to note that Blackburn were a non-existent threat down our left.

Vermaelen. Excellent as always. What a find this guy is, already the rock upon which our defence is built. Hard as nails, athletic and a fine reader of the game.  The Blackburn game was the test to see if we had learnt to defend continual long balls and he led the defence in a manner the great TA would have been proud of. The signing of Squillaci has extinguished my fears should  TV  get a long -term injury, at last we have decent cover for this wonderful defender.

3 games. Two goals conceded. We look tight and secure and the communication appears to have improved. The only negative is no defender has scored yet.

7/10

88 Responses to So far so good. Part 1. The Defence – written by BigRaddy

A good assessment Raddy of what we’ve seen so far from the defence – although the last 20 minutes against Blackburn were scary, it only felt scary from an historical point of view not from what was actually happening in the game. Blackburn were mounting a bombardment but we were dealing with it. Simples

2. Rob says:

The worry with Clichy is a worrying tendency not to know where his man is. You can forgive any defender the occasional mistake, or being beaten by a winger, but when you look at the Blackburn game, he doesn’t look round to see where M Diouf is once and if by his age he hasn’t learnt you have to do that then the worry is he never will.

3. gunnern5 says:

Well thought out assessment Raddy. The worst we’ve done so far is to “only” get a point at Anfield, which in day’s past would have been considered a great point.

I’m with Peaches on the last 20 minutes of a game. A typical scenario is we are a goal up after missing countless opportunities and my heart is in my mouth waiting for a fluke goal to take away 2 points.

I like the new defense and up until the past few day’s injury news I was happy with the offense.

I would recommend that we ban Kelsey from making any predictions about our players health or injuries – his crystal ball is way to clear for my liking.

4. Andy Mack says:

Good review.

5. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening all

Goal keeper Adam Federici has signed with Reading. He played in goals for Australia in its 1-2 win over Poland. Fabianski didn’t get a gig.

Federici will be hot, hot, hot, so Le Scrooge should send some one to have a look at him. Don’t wait till he turns 37.

New Socceroos coach Holger Osieck, was impressed by the work of Federici with the gloves.

“We can be happy to have two goalkeeper of extra class. Mark [Schwarzer] showed it in the first game against Switzerland and Adam showed it with a fantastic game tonight,” he said.

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oh & top review BR

7. London says:

First class post BR

A very enjoyable read.

Is there anymore news on Walcott about?

8. London says:

BR

What is that 7/10 at the bottom of your post? Is it your rating of the defence so far?

9. London says:

Can someone tell me who is “Le Scrouge”?

10. charybdis1966 says:

London, it’s an appellation for Wenger and his miserly transfer ways.

11. SharkeySure says:

Great read that Mr Radders.

“first yellow for a full bloodied tackle was a delight to see” – brilliant.

He studded someone elses groin against B’burn as well I think. Kozzer the Nutcracker..??

12. SharkeySure says:

Well said Rob 10.18

Absolutely shocking example of ball watching from Clichy on that goal. It wasn’t even a high speed event that might allow for it. He was stationery in the box awaiting Dioufs cross. No excuse for not looking around, none whatsoever!

13. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Le Scrooge is the collective penny pinching Arsenal management who are very careful with The Clubs money.

Morning,

Great post Raddy. We should approach every league game as if it’s the decider to win the title, so I’m hoping there is no post international break malaise in our performance against Bolton.

I already have confidence in kozzer (more than Clichy 😦 ). Is it right that Diaby played a full game for France but has now been sidelined with injury for Saturday?

15. SharkeySure says:

I’ll be back later….

Reading about one ****ing injury after another is absolutely killing me !!

16. Red Arse says:

Enjoyed your post, as ever Big Raddy.

I have to disagree with one or two comments about Clichy, although a minor point.

I recorded the Blackburn game and far from not looking when they were attacking, Clichy glanced over his shoulder two or three times at the Blackbum player.

He then took root and allowed the man to run around behind him to score easily. What particularly got my goat was that he remained rooted, while the Blackbums ran off celebrating and yelled at the defence as if it was someone else’s fault! Not good. 😦

17. dandan says:

Morning all, great post Raddy very reassuring.we are on our way, its going to be a super season
    GG I have visited your magnificent country a number of times and been struck by the optimism and good humour of Australians in general. It therefore comes as quite a surprise to find you generally negative about the wonderful club you rightly support given the financial chaos that assails our main rivals.

18. Someone said something earlier – though it could have been on the other post – about having an ‘injury window’ down the side-bar – if you look to the right of this comment you should see the feed that comes from Arsenal.com. They usually have an article running about injuries 😦 😦

19. London says:

Clichy…Innocent?

In desperation, I think I watched the Blackburn game 4 times from start to finish, the last time I concentrated on Clichy and their equaliser and I still cannot see how so many can blame him so harshly. Clichy is not one of my special players who I tend to defend no matter what but it seems to me that he did the right thing by getting back as quick as he did and he did arrive into the danger area before M Diouf. Once there I think he would have needed eyes in the back of his head to have been able to know exactly where M Diouf was at every second, especially when you bare in mind that it was necessary to follow what El Hadji Diouf was doing. Unfortunately, I have wiped the recording or I would go and watch it again, although, thinking about it maybe it is a good idea that it has gone after so many viewings.

20. gnarleygeorge9 says:

dan dan

What are you on about? People who know me know how much of a wag I am. I refer to The Arsenal as le Scrooge & I’m acused of being negative. Fuck what next, I’m racist.

And as for calling it “your magnificent country”, I’m surprised actually, after the amount of shit you throw @ me in putting Australia down.

21. gunnern5 says:

gnarley: Ouch!! you sound just like me.

22. truegooner says:

Hanky for GG9!!!

23. gnarleygeorge9 says:

gn5

well that makes 2 of us then 🙂 but I don’t have a tele as big as yours 😯

24. Red Arse says:

Gnarley,

I think you and dandan are on the same side. Things can get lost in the writing. 🙂

25. gnarleygeorge9 says:

The scary bloke you call squidgy. Sorry to disappoint you but he aint scary. This bloke here would pick him up & spin him on his finger

true gunner

get stuffed

26. gunnern5 says:

gnarley: It’s my son’s TV the biggest I have is 52″.

You should start again with dandan he sounds like a really good sort of person to me – and he knows a whole lot about the gunners.

27. gunnern5 says:

gnarley: There you go again – now you’ve made trurgooner cry!

28. gnarleygeorge9 says:

gn5

Yep you are probably right.

Hanky for GG9. You’d put knots in yours true gunner & stick it of your head. What a bloody fashion statement that is hey 😆

29. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Cheers Gn5

Off to see the Mrs

30. London says:

Why do people think it is acceptable to be insulting about Arsenal on an Arsenal blog and then act suprised or offended when Arsenal supporters question it. Calling Wenger Le Scrouge is insulting and I for one find it offensive. If that is the way people see Wenger, so be it but I don’t and I will continue to question it.

31. gunnern5 says:

London: To ask who is ” Le Scrouge” is strange at best.

Every Arsenal supporter knows the answer and to suggest that it’s insulting is equally odd – after all, would it be insulting to call him a scrooge or a tight wad or overly cautious with our money?

32. Red Arse says:

Thing is London, you are right, in one sense, but there is another way to look at it.

My friends occasionally use pejorative terms to describe me and my supposed parsimonious attitude towards buying a round! Unbelievable, I know! 😉

But it is meant in good humour and I respond in kind.

If a stranger or some one ill disposed towards me said it I woulf quickly take umbrage and a certain tension would arise.

I think Gnarley’s comment was of the former kind because he is a gooner. It is a pity that he and Dandan, another good guy, seemed to be at loggerheads but it was probably a misunderstanding.

Your reputation as a balanced and well liked co-owner of the site is a given, so I hope you understand I do not intend to be confrontational, but to rationalise an unusual falling out between two nice people. 😉

33. London says:

Ha ha ha Wenger gets a bonus for not spending money…..isn’t it funny? No it fucking well is not funny, it is down right offensive and I hate with a passion the anti Arsenal vermin that started the rumour and the people who perpetuate it are not that much better.

34. London says:

G5

There is nothing strange about asking who Le Scrouge it is called clarification it avoids confusion.

If you agree with this anti Arsenal line good luck to you…I dont.

35. SharkeySure says:

That issue of Arsene’s ‘bonus’ is complete bollox. At the risk of breaking the rules, I’ll say the following

Only two days ago (?) the perpetrator of that insidious shite declared that his Q+A question would be to ask whether or not it was actually true.

This is after he has been spouting it as gospel for nearly two years !!

36. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

I think I know who you are referring to, but this contemptible and disgusting drivel should be treated with the disdain it deserves and we should not give it anymore publicity!

Don’t forget there is even worse poison that comes from the same/similar sources. Yeuk! 😦

37. gunnern5 says:

London: There simply could not be a more pro Wenger supporter than me and I see it as nothing more than an inoffensive nickname.

How can you possibly call it anti Arsenal?

You may co-own the site but to rebuke bloggers for using a soft nickname is going to far.

By the way I find it extremely offensive for any bolgger to include the word f***ing in any post, there are hundreds of other words to use that are far more expressive.

Just an old geezer’s opinion.

Hi London,

The ‘bonus allegation’ has never been levelled by anyone on here as far as I am aware.

One man’s insult is another’s banter – depending on your view of the attitude of the person who delivers it. I’d like to think everything on here is banter except when an abusive blogger comes on and we collectively deal with the situation.

I had thought that the tension over the summer would subside once the transfer window had closed but I can sense that there is still a lot pent up anger on both sides, exasperated no doubt by the interlull.

39. London says:

G5

This is a football blog not a knitting circle.

Just the opinion of someone who finds insulting Arsenal offensive.

40. London says:

G5

And by the way I do not co-own this site, I am no more than a regular, the same as you.

41. dandan says:

Hells bells, what have I started GG, I definitely take umbrage at the suggestion I have ever had a go at your country it is a great place. I don’t know where you are based but I have seen a lot of Oz.
    Now when it comes to your press and your cricket team it is a different matter.
    But the interesting thing is by the time we get to the MCG come boxing day,you will so far behind that your papers will fighting each other to shove Pontings cap up his backside,Begging Shane to come out of retirement No Warny no chance.
    If it wasn’t such a bloody horrible flight we would have come and watched that one.
    AS for the Le Scrouge title in my eyes that puts Le Boss in the same Category as Le Sulk and that aint on.
    Thanks for the support in my absence guys, been at a 2yr olds birthday party what fun.

42. SharkeySure says:

London,

I’m with GN5 on the swearing or asterisks…I’ve done it twice on here to my recollectiion, once for injuries (today) and once for no GK (I think?).

For what its worth, I don’t think derisory nicknames (however mild they might be) for our own players is on. Likewise sarcastic comments such as TrueGooners.

Those will be my only words on this topic

43. Red Arse says:

London,

Your 4:48; I appear to have misunderstood comments between you and Peaches yesterday or the day before, where co-ownership/co-authorship was discussed.

That was my fault and not GN5’s. 😦

Can I suggest we draw a line under this tiff now please, because there can be no winners if the tit for tat continues. 🙂

This site is too good to allow a little tension to spoil it. 🙂

44. Being a girl I should probably stay out of this as I’ve never really understood the testosterone fuelled way you chaps can get under each other’s skin.

‘Le Scrooge’ is not a contemptable nickname IMO – its how it is, they would prefer not to spend the money hey ho there’s nothing we can do about it. Some find it a problem others don’t.

I prefer not to have to wince when reading colourful language and asterisks are fine in my book but sometimes the fury is just too much to bear and though I don’t think I would resort to using swearwords thats probably because I’m a lady. There again so is irish and she’s awfully good at coming out with them.

Different strokes for different folks – we deal with the antagonists as a group but we shouldn’t insult each other ever.

Pink rules OK 🙂

45. Red Arse says:

I’m with you Peaches! There are enough baddies elsewhere to fall out with! 🙂

Nighty night …… (well, evening, evening doesn’t sound the same). 🙂

Thanks for rallying round guys 🙂

The issue of ownership is not one I like to define as we are trying to be as all-inclusive as possible. We aim to offer an alternative to sites whose owners have a particular standpoint that they want to promote. We haven’t yet asked anyone to do less, but are constantly encouraging as many as possible to get involved.

If you want a definition of the ‘we’ in question, then I would say it is down to each individual to decide how much they want to be involved.

47. SharkeySure says:

“Nighty night” was a brilliant comedy on BBC3 a couple of years ago.

Sit through a whole episode (22mins?) even if its a struggle to start off.

48. gunnern5 says:

London: I will treat your comments at4:37 with the contempt they deserve.

Some bloggers on Arsenal Arsenal know me from other sites and they can tell you that I am an unabashed supporter of AW and our club. Because of this I attract a lot abusive attacks but I’m thick skinned and fully prepared to take the abuse (sometimes to my detriment) to support my viewpoint.

So far as the knitting club comment is concerned – I use the needles to stick in my voodoo dolls of posters that get on my nerves.

With that I draw my line under the subject

49. London says:

There is a post in drafts if you need one, it doesn’t have a title, go ahead a choose one should you wish to use it.

If not, no probs,I will just post it in comments.

London,

Thanks that’s brilliant, we must publish it. Tomorrow we are putting up the 2nd half of Raddy’s early season review and we have an offering from ArseChicago for Friday. The weekend will be taken up with pre-match and post-match reports so I’m hoping you won’t mind if we keep it until next week as it has a timeless quality.

51. gunnern5 says:

If you want to read a real hatchet job on Arsenal and Arsene then read Mark Holmes article in Teamtalk.

I’ve posted my response but it may be to ripe (truthful) for them to post.

52. London says:

Makes sense Rasp.

There’s no comment from you shown on that site GN5, it doesn’t appear they censor – or are you using a pseudonym?

54. gunnern5 says:

Rasp: It just appeared.

OK, I can see it GN5

56. London says:

Does anyone know the reason why spuds don’t feature in the reserves fixture list but manu do?

57. Neamman says:

For Gods sake… why the handbags?? Lets talk Arsenal and reserve our venom for the spuds, MU, Celtic and many other garbage teams!!!

He he. just threw Celtic in for a laugh!! A born and bred Londoner but I have Irish roots so I support Rangers as well!!!!

just joking guys …. before I get lots of messages calling me an Orange scumbag!!!

58. 26may1989 says:

London, I think the Twitcher withdrew Spurs from the Reserve League on the basis that they would arrange one-off fixtures instead. Sounds like a decidedly dumb thing to do. Didn’t his chum Joe Kinnear do something similar in his glorious stint at Newcastle?

59. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Oh dear 😉

60. London says:

So many injuries, so early in the season must surely lead to the finger of blame being pointed at the coaching methods and the coaching staff. Most guilty must be Pat Rice to whom we must ask: what did you do to prevent these injuries?

61. gnarleygeorge9 says:

You know the point I was making was about having a look @ Adam Federici, the Australian goalkeeper. But all London & dan dan saw was le Scrooge. The discussion or accusation resulting from my offering was about how negative I am about Arsenal, & how disgraceful it is that I show no respect to Arsene Wenger.

You blokes need to loosen up a bit; get a sense of humour; have a laugh. Afterall, its only a game of football for Gods sake.

“You are my Arsenal, my only Arsenal, you make me happy when skies are grey”. Stop, theres the problem, your skies are always grey 😆

62. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Dare I say it on here, but some of you suffer from post le Grove syndrome. Well for the record I admire Arsene Wenger. His tenure has taken The Club to a level that has been born from sacrificing results. Spurs can’t get there, Liverpoo are not able, & chelsea will not either. That Emirates Stadium is something that sticks the rigid digit fair in the opos face, and some. And there is where the jealousy lies with the English press, & collymores of the world.

As for those who choose to slag Arsene Wenger off coz he is a man of principle, I’m not one of them. I can’t see whats wrong with using s pseudonym like Le Scrooge. The guy is tight with his/Arsenal’s money.

Morning all:

I beg you to read this article by Terence McGovern. it sums up everything I feel exactly.

64. dandan says:

Morning all. Sorry London I find great difficulty with equating anything that Pat Rice may or may not have done, being in any way linked to Theo being kicked whilst moving at full speed in an England Game.

Nasri’s injury is the normal wear and tear all footballers get and his op was preventative medicine so to speak for the season ahead.

Rvp is a delicate flower and as such will for ever be our sick note in and out of the side, more a tragedy for him than us. Is it not reasonable to assume, that if there were ways to prevent this, that his specialist would have put them forward and the club adopted them.We should surely be grateful for what we can get from him in what is obviously going to be a shortened and painful career.

Bendy I know nothing about and time will tell just how bad he is.

Pat Rice has served the club well man and boy and is the important bridge between the dressing room and AW.

AW meanwhile has his own trusty coaching,conditioning, fitness and medical specialist working as a team, again how is Pat to blame for any shortcomings, if indeed there are any shortcoming in those areas. Particularily as all planning however detailed goes out the window when your ankle cops an opponent’s boot when moving at full speed as Theo’s did this week.

Let refs tighten up on the bad tackle and we would perhaps have more “luck” on the injury front, although the crop we have at present with the obvious exception of Aaron’s meeting with Mr Shawcross were as I have said before just normal football injuries.

We are not alone in this the spuds are rife with injuries, Rodwell is out for 6 weeks as is Arab cities new Italian CF. Whilst Man utd have a whole crop with at least one defender facing enforced retirement and one who has been out for two years.

Lets just hope ours stay short term, as most of them Bendy excluded, probably are.

Perhaps the high speed, high tech. modern game and the grip between the synthetically enhanced fibre/grass pitches and the blade boots they now wear has something to do with it, I don’t know.

I do IMHO opinion know it ain’t the ultra loyal Pat Rice’s fault.

65. dandan says:

Well crafted and sensible endorsement of the “absolutely bleeding obvious” there Kelsey, thanks for that,

66. London says:

Morning Dandan.

I was being sarcastic, the things Pat Rice gets blamed for are ridiculous……its raining here, get rid of Pat Rice.

67. London says:

Morning/Evening GG

We know you love Arsenal, its just that some of us are uncomfortable with what we regard as creeping negativity. I am not trying to change your view of things, call Wenger all the names under the sun but please don’t be surprised when some of us defend him.

I think we have found a balance, so long as you can cope with my defence of Wenger I can cope with your attempts to undermine him.

68. gnarleygeorge9 says:

London

Thankyou

I do not wish to undermine Arsene Wenger, He & his assistants are the people who won’t spend. I’m just stating the bleeding obvious. Like The England cricket team historically are Australia’s bunnies.

69. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I have had a gut full of the vile crap that is spewed out over & over again @ a manager who has The Arsenal @ heart.

Off subject, if any of you have a long term subscription for the Sky Sports/Movies or any other combination,you will have noticed the monthly cost has again risen.
    In my case from 38.00 to 53.00 GBP in the last 5 years for the Sky Sports package.

If you phone them up and threaten to leave, they will offer you at least 25% off your monthly subscription for the next 12 months.

Obviously this applies only to those who pay a DD through a UK bank account.

71. London says:

GG9

I think perhaps the thing that you are not realising is that to some of us it is not “bleeding obvious” at all. Only when people fail to take into consideration the effects of moving ground and the recession could anyone arrive at the idea that the management are reluctant to spend and this isn’t even attempting to explain the effects of Chelsea and Man City’s influx of money. All of which brings us to the same place again, you can continue to criticise Arsenal and I will continue to defend them.

Morning all,

I have removed the ‘I Told You So’ tab from the top of the page as it was only a bit of fun, but I am considering replacing it with an ‘I’m Having The Last Word’ tab 😆

73. London says:

I blame Pat Rice.

Haha London, there is an old saying in business …’when times are hard, sack the cleaner’.

I think the problem people have with PR is that they think he is employed as assistant manager as opposed to Arsène’s assistant. I think PR is happy with his role in the club, and the club are happy with PR’s contribution. Arsène is too single minded to have an assistant manager in the traditional sense.

75. dandan says:

You got no chance Rasp there are at least two female contibuters to this blog. 🙂

76. London says:

Very good explanation, I hadn’t thought about that before: Arsene’s assistant rather than Assistant Manager, makes complete sense.

I blame Margaret Thatcher ….

Some fine comments this morning, especially from you chaps who get up at dawn. Could it be “old man’s bladder”?

78. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I get the message London, its your blog old fella.

Now whats happening down @ Tigerland…………….. 😀

79. dandan says:

London…. the Australian fella, just called our cricketers bunnies, gawd elp em when Broad and Co get among em, they sure as hell gonna wanna go waltzing off to the outback, cos Ned kelly’s boys got more chance of pinching our little urn and they dun im in years ago.

Then of course we got the mighty Swanny, Ausies worst nightmare, No Warny no chance 🙂 🙂

Houllier at Aston Villa? I like the man, he is intelligent, erudite and brings a sense of calm similar to our manager.

I would really like to see a young English manager get a job at a big club. Are Harry & Fat Sam the best we have? Because at some time Arsenal will be forced into replacing AW and I would like it to be an upcoming English manager as opposed to a high profile gadfly like Jose or Sven

81. London says:

Rasp

Can you please replace the “I told You So” section above with one that says “This is not London’s blog”

😉 London

New Post …

83. London says:

I love cricket, I just don’t know enough about it to join in the banter……although, no Warney????

GG. The majority of Aussie wins took place between ’88 and ’05 which sits very nicely with AFC’s reign at the top.

I could stomach a hollow Aussie victory on fixed pitches if this is a winning year for the Arsenal

ignore me, I don’t care.

86. Neamman says:

They have tried some young england managers recently but with little luck, boothroyd, Ince, Pearse spring to mind..there must be others. I also want english managers but if they cannot succeed at smaller EPL clubs..who will risk them at a big one. for example..howe at Bournemouth looks a great prospect but would we want him at emirates??

87. […] So Far So Good Part 1. The Defence […]