September 6th, a landmark day in Arsenal’s history – written by peachesgooner

Written by peachesgooner

On September 6th 1913 The Arsenal played their first game at their new ground – Highbury. It was a 2-1 win over Leicester Fosse.

Here’s a bit of history behind the move to Highbury. By the end of the 1912/13 season, Henry Norris who had recently taken charge of the club came to the conclusion that if the club wanted to grow they needed to move to a new ground. Highbury was chosen as it was close to an underground station. The proximity to the totts could have been a problem but nevertheless Norris went ahead and found the money for a 21 year lease on the ground at Highbury. All appeals by residents and other local clubs were quashed and the  mighty Arsenal was born.

The speed with which the site was organised and completed was amazing. Within four months the pitch was levelled and installed, a new grandstand was partly built and the terracing and turnstiles were ready for the first game.

Henry Norris’ next aim was to get Arsenal into the First Division, but his plans were thwarted by the onset of the First World War. The shenanigans involved in getting Arsenal promoted are a bit of a skeleton in the cupboard but suffice to say we were promoted to the First Division by a ballot at the expense of the spuds.

This history lesson came about because I was taking a look around Arse.com yesterday afternoon feeding my gooner habit – not the best place some would say, when I happened upon the History section. I was really impressed with how much  detailed information there is  available.

I discovered this important fact about September 6th 1913 looking at the page titled  On This Day In …… which gives an archive calender with a fact for every day in the year. Click here to see the page for yourself. Here are the first five entries:-

• 1. 1934…Arsenal recorded their biggest ever win over Liverpool, 8-1 at Highbury. Drake scored 3.
  • 2. 1893…Woolwich Arsenal played their first ever league game, a 2-2 draw with Newcastle United.
  • 3. 1904…Woolwich Arsenal played their first ever game in England’s top division, versus Newcastle.
  • 4. 1979…Arsenal recorded their biggest ever League Cup win, a 7-0 rout against Leeds United.
  • 5. 1970…Two George Armstrong goals beat Spurs 2-0. Arsenal lifted the ‘Double’ later that season.

Always nice to find something heartwarming like beating spuds. Obviously there are 30 days of facts and being a bit geeky I had to read them all and pass some on.  In September 1958 we had two 6-1 wins within four days over Bolton and Everton. Freddie Ljungberg was signed by Arsène Wenger on the 11th of September 1998 and scored on his debut nine days later in a 3-0 win over the mancs.

Ian Wright was signed by George Graham from Crystal Palace on the 23rd in 1991 and he scored on his debut on the 25th in a League cup game against Leicester. In 1993 he scored his 5th hat-trick in a 5-0 win against Huddersfield in the League Cup and on the 13th September 1997 he broke Cliff Basten’s goalscoring record with a hat-trick against Bolton.

It was lovely to discover that three of my favourite players of all time were born on various dates in September, David Seaman, Emmanuel Petit and Sol Campbell. But the fact that made me smile the most was the one listed for the 28th September 1996 Frenchman Arsène Wenger became the first foreign manager of Arsenal ……… and the rest is history.

55 Responses to September 6th, a landmark day in Arsenal’s history – written by peachesgooner

1. You can also join me to celebrate my birthday come 08.sep.this year and if need be add me to arsenalisation.

2. gunnern5 says:

Peaches: My maternal grandfather who drove a horse and cart delivering coal around Highbury attended the first game at Highbury.

He had nine sons all dedicated Arsenal fans, they had no other choice, you’d understand why if you had seen the size of the man.

He was born on Stavordale Road and his
    local was the Drayton Arms, which is now opposite to the visitors entrance at The Emirates.

He took me to my first game on November 22nd, 1947 when we beat Huddersfield 2-0

3. Peter Sowler says:

Nice to be reminded of the Leicester Fosse link to Arsenal and Highbury – I think the players changed in the local pub and someone injured was taken off in a wheel barrow. Is it true that Arsenal borrowed red shirts from Nottingham Forest? Also – I know it hurts but – how did Arsenal get into the first division around the time of WWI?

4. SharkeySure says:

Brilliant !!

5. SharkeySure says:

A big card and expensive gifts will soon be on their way to you Edgar !!

Do you have an Amazon wishlist..??

Morning Edgar, Happy Birthday.

Morning Peter, …. skullduggery!

Morning Sharkey

Morning peaches, thanks for the styllish history of September 🙂 , I’m going to lower the tone of the site tomorrow 🙄

I’d have carried on with my history studies if Arsenal were on the syllabus.

Happy Birthday Edgar

Peter it looks like there was a small amount of bribery and corruption that went on to ensure Arsenal were promoted to the First Division – I’m whispering the next bit as we are still the only club to have maintained First Division status by never having qualified through the play-offs – shhhhh don’t tell any spuds 😉

8. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, echos of one of my posts from a while back there Peachy : https://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/transitions-resolutions-%e2%80%93-from-highbury-to-ashburton-grove/#comment-19164

Good pics though – and a better title ! 🙂

Fine piece of research Peaches.

So 97 years residing in Islington.

& 50 years since Sp*rs won the League 😀

10. Peter Sowler says:

I’m a City fan so nice to hear an honest response – whatever happened to Kerra Gilbert who was with us for a season? Lot of us thought he would end up here.

Hi Peter and welcome,

Poor Gilbert has been blighted by injury. He looks/looked a good prospect comparable to Kieran Gibbs. He was on loan with ‘The Posh’ from January this year.

12. Hi Peter – Kerrea Gilbert is still on our books and currently on loan at Cardiff City.

Is he peaches? I’m reading that he has been released by the club. Perhaps someone would like to clarify Gilbert’s wherabouts for us.

14. Ooops I’ve just seen that you’ve already outed him rasp – according to the site he’s still on the books 😦

15. You’re right rasp, he’s been released and has no fixed abode at the moment.

What a shame, that must be due to his injury record – he had the makings of a fine player.

17. dandan says:

Afternoon all, super post Peaches, Looks like I have got you all looking at days gone by.

Talking of days gone by I am amused to see blog sites claiming the Rooney fiasco as an exclusive, Some Exclusive Kelsey told me about it weeks ago.

18. Martin says:

Equally important – 6th September 1968 I was born, a life long Arsenal fan

19. gunnern5 says:

Martin: My son was also born on Sept 6th but in 1975.

We watch many games together, he has his own business designing and installing home theatres. His basement has been turned into a showroom with a 102″ by 62″ screen – what a joy it is to watch games in HD with surround sound – next best thing to being there – until he gets 3DHD.

G5. Can we all come over?? I will bring some Carlsberg, schnapps and smoked herring….

21. gnarleygeorge9 says:

September 6th 2010

The day that blog war broke out, again 😉

What is it about Internationals week & full moons that make people act crazy 😈

Nice piece of history peaches. I’m a better Gooner for it.

22. gnarleygeorge9 says:

The oldest football club in the world is………?

23. gunnern5 says:

BR: Anytime he also has a dart board and full size snooker table oh! and a nicely stocked bar he has a very nice 18 year old The MaCallan. It’s odd but The Macallan doesn’t last in my house I think it’s the high evaporation rate when I open a bottle ???

As an aside my son is the youngest art player in Canada to shoot a perfect game. It was the opening day of youth darts
    in 1988 (I used to coach darts and football) he was 13 years old. The official kids game was 301 straight in double out, he shot 180, 60, 11, double bull.

He’s authenticated as the youngest in Canada but we got no response from the Guinness Book of World Records when we sent in the record and inquired about the World record..

24. charybdis1966 says:

Gnarley – I think it’s Sheffield Wedensday – or is it Cray Wanderers ? (done without the benefit of Google)

25. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Gn5

You need to get outside a bit more 😎

26. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Actually, I just checked chary

27. gunnern5 says:

garnley: I’m outside as I write it’s 9:06am and I’m sitting on my deck having a cup of tea.

28. charybdis1966 says:

Well I got the Sheffield bit right(ish) Gnarley, not sure where the Cray Wanderers came from though!

29. gunnern5 says:

I see that Rooney has been dipping his wick into the wrong holes – now I guess we know why they are called away games.

What is it with these England players, poor old Fabio must be pulling his hair out, he tried to pull out Rooney’s but backed off as he didn’t know where it had been.

30. charybdis1966 says:

Nice one centurion(N5). 🙂

31. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Well enjoy GN5. Twinings English Breakfast no doubt 😛

I wonder if Mrs. Rooney plays away when hubby is on his travels ….. I hope so.

33. gunnern5 says:

charybdis: According to Wikipedia it’s Sheffield FC.

Their webb site states that they were formed on Oct 10, 1857 and are recognized by both the FA and FIFA as the oldest club.

They play in the Northern Premier League Division One South.

34. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Its 11.22pm here, but before I head off, I must admit to having a laugh @ how Arjen Robben reckons Hotshit are now equal to The Arsenal 😆

35. gunnern5 says:

Big Raddy: I hope she scores more than he does.

36. gunnern5 says:

gnarley: As a natter of fact it’s Tetley’s.

37. charybdis1966 says:

N5 – she could hardly score less than Shrek has been – on field that is.

38. SharkeySure says:

GunnerN5 – “until he gets 3DHD”

You’ll have to watch it with your boots on !!

39. gunnern5 says:

Sharkey: It’s funny you should say that because my son keeps telling me that he’s going to tie legs down – as I’m always shooting for the team.

40. SharkeySure says:

I took my 7 yr old daughter to see Alice in Wonderland in 3d, and I was almost reaching above my head for butterflies.

I make your son right though – 3D close up of John Terry’s face..?? Yep, I’d need holding back or tying down!

Otherwise it’d be like when that ‘golden opportunity’ presented itself to Diaby in the Carling Cup Final.

41. chippy says:

Peaches,
    Sorry for that comment but that was a lovely piece- I can safely say ive never seen that image of the old girl and its a treat, Where is that from id like to get hold of one?

Thanks in Advance

42. chippy says:

Soz that should read “Sorry for the late comment” 🙂 Bad day !!

43. gunnern5 says:

chippy: That picture and more can be found at Arsenal.com – Highbury picture gallery.

44. chippy says:

gunnern5,
    Many thanks, Ive been thinking about getting a load of Canvases made showing the old girl through the years- to put on the wall,

Hi chippy,

I can email you the pic – is it the black and white one of the stadium you require? Let me know if its for reproduction and I will make it high res for you.

46. chippy says:

Rasp,
    Your a diamond Yes please kind sir, The old one of the stadium would be fantastic, And if any of the readers on here would like a print out A4 or A3 just email me and ill post some out, Im afraid the overseas ones would cost me a bit to much !!

No worries chippy, I’ll do it this evening

48. Chippy says:

Thanks Rasp,
    Much Appreciated, it will be the first of my canvases !!!!

49. Irishgunner says:

Nice read Peaches.

Just a quick pop in and out 🙂

50. London says:

“I’ve been thinking about getting a load of Canvases made showing the old girl through the years- to put on the wall”,……

I remind people that when Freddie was at Arsenal he was not gay and should not be referred to as the old girl, a little more sensitivity, I think, don’t you?

51. Chippy says:

London,
    🙂 very good !!!

52. London says:

I’m thinking of taking up smack as an alternative past time. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I am convinced that the withdrawal symptoms can’t possibly be worse. In fact, if you think about it smack is more readily available, ok you have to make regular trips to Kings Cross but hey you save on fares as you don’t have to go the extra distance on the picadilly line to get the more addictive drug dressed up in Red & White…….aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I hate International breaks

53. rockylives says:

Lovely read Peaches. Been on my travels again so it’s been nice to catch up by reading the last few days posts and comments all at a sitting. A bit like getting a box set of the Sopranos.
    Let’s try and earmark Oct 22nd for another special – it was on that day in 1949 that a certain Alphonse and Louise Wenger produced a little boy and decided to name him Arsene…

New post ……

55. Tony Attwood says:

Can I be rude enough to expand on what you have written, and offer a little correction as well?

The move to Highbury wasn’t quite planned as you said – in that when Norris issued the new shares in Woolwich Arsenal in the summer of 1910 he had already failed in his plan to merge the club with Fulham. His second plan had been to move Woolwich Arsenal to Craven Cottage, and the League had indicated they had no objections to that move (although Chelsea did).

But the deal that gave Norris the shares incorporated an agreement that he would not move the club for two years, but that then, if he had not taken the club into profit he would be able to move.

In fact he held off for three years. The issue was not, as is often said, the poor crowds at Plumstead (Woolwich Arsenal got average crowds for the first division) but the changes that were happening to the armaments factory. The move of the torpedo factory to the Clyde in 1910 boded ill, and Norris was watching the employment situation as much as anything.

On the issue of the promotion, this is absolutely not something to be afraid of or to talk of as a skeleton in the cupboard. It is only seen like this because of the way Tottenham has written history.

I won’t take up your space with a long re-write of what actually happened, but the whole story is in the Corruption section of the Woolwich Arsenal site http://www.blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/corruption/ which has a link to “Arsenal’s fixed promotion”.

And if I may, finally, could I add that the whole story of Norris’ takeover of Arsenal is in my book “Making the Arsenal” (www.woolwicharsenal.co.uk) Cheeky I know, but it is the only book in print about Arsenal 100 years ago.