Exploited gooners – the final fanshare straw? – written by charybdis1966

Written by charybdis1966

As the transfer window nears its end and we all sit and fret about who will be sauntering through the “in” door to supplement our rapidly diminishing squad are we unique in thinking we suffer especially during this time of the year?
Our transfers seem to be such protracted and painful transactions compared to other clubs, or so it seems to your humble scribe, as well as a significant proportion of the Gooner fan base at large.

Maybe it just seems this way because we cannot be objective when we look at our own transfers however the deciding factor in a majority of our transfers appears to be a relatively minor percentage of the transfer fee, as seems to be the case currently with Schwarzer. Of course a number of us will, and perhaps rightly so, say that we will never know the detail of the negotiations, yet it appears to have been the case so often in the past and continues to be so however our intransigence could well end up being self defeating if the gaping holes in our squad are not addressed.

Putting the idiosyncrasies of this case aside it’s palpably obvious that our buying policy has been to get what we want as cheap as possible to the detriment of assimilating new squad members into the squad in a timely fashion or when they are most needed. There’ll be few detractors to the argument that had we acquired Chamakh in January this year we would not have resorted to the lunacy of playing our Meerkat up front, largely on his own.

Hindsight is of course priceless, yet we can only wonder what would have happened to our final league position if our goals hadn’t dried up in the last third of the season if our new forward had arrived earlier.

The inconsistency of our valuation of players viz-a-viz our transfer policy is demonstrated by our sale of Toure/Greedybayor and our current attempt to buy Schwarzer – we overvalue as sellers and undervalue as buyers.

This seems to be prima facie evidence of the correct approach in a buyers/sellers market however if you continue to do this other players in the market, in this case other football clubs with players to buy and sell, will look upon us as skin flints and not just as tough negotiators but ones to be avoided in future.

It can be argued that during the period of financial frugality that has just finished, according to the “We are no long hampered in our spending” messages that come from the club and our manager, it was necessary to adopt this approach but does there seem to be any change this time round?

We were told we would buy early or very later, but how clever is the buying late strategy? What happens is the rest of the selling clubs know we are desperate for replacements in key positions, goal keeper, centre backs and possibly (thanks to our umpteenth injury) back-up defensive midfielder and therefore we can be held to ransom. Also the selling club won’t have time to get a replacement for a squad member who will normally not be surplus to requirements, unless he is part of the Middle Eastland’s exodus or the Real Madrid fire sale of last season’s now out of fashion galacticos, as the Specious one seeks to rebuild the team in his own glorious image.

So the belief arises amongst the disenchanted gooners that we scrimp and quibble about our buying prices and hold out for higher fees when we sell to the detriment of the squad’s integrity and ability to compete meaningfully.

These same fans feel further alienated by the fact that our ticket prices are amongst the highest in the Premier League but very little of that seems to go into investment in the on-field side of the club’s activities and I have to admit to feeling some sympathy to that view.

There is a perception that the club will use every avenue to exploit their fans loyalty by schemes such as having a plaque on a chair or on a paving slab outside the Armoury – fleecing the fans is what I’d call it. Does every club do this? Yes, to an extent but that doesn’t mean the Club can expect the fan base to continually dig deeper into their pockets and proceed with an unseemly haste to pay off the stadium debt early. I don’t propose to delve into the financial ramifications of the Highbury Square development, the “Mortgage” taken out for the stadium and all the other factors that have combined to give the impression to me that reducing and ultimately eliminating debt from our balance sheet is being given a higher priority than it should.

Why should this be the case? Perhaps because a company free of debt is going to be attractive to an investor and a club like Arsenal will, because of its fan base, in the short to medium term have healthy “revenue streams” as Gazidis is so keen to remind us. So are we being fattened up as a club like a turkey for Christmas for a wealthy investor to acquire and gain a return from? In the case of the Manks the Glazers method of gaining such a return was to put new debt on the club to fund their other investments(while drawing exorbitant remuneration for little in the way of executive duties, allegedly) while the ‘dippers Septic owners are holding out for a substantial profit from a new owner before they sell.

And who will have helped our club become so attractive for a predatory takeover?

Well you, the fans.

While Gazidis has no doubt achieved a number of positive things for the club he brings the Septics unique marketing know-how on how to exploit a brand and so his hand is no doubt behind the plaque on seats, named paving slabs and now the fan share idea. While it can be argued that all clubs offer similar services for me this is another attempt to extract more cash from a fan base with the not only the factually correct promise of “owning part of the club” you support, but the false claim that you can have an influence. In any commercial situation minority shareholders are pretty much ignored so someone who owns 1/100th of an ordinary share, as the Arsenal fanshare offers, will have an infinitesimal ability to make any difference to what the Kroenke’s, the Usmanovs or the Bracewell Smiths of the Arsenal world want to do with the club.

This is where the normal rules of business can’t apply – if this were a commercial situation we would have walked away from Arsenal a long time ago as they simply have not (in my humble opinion) given us value for money. However there is a unique “Brand loyalty” which ties all of us football fans, glory hunters aside, to our chosen team and it’s this important factor that has allowed Arsenal to become the cash rich, take-over friendly footballing beast that it now is.
While Club level and the Diamond club give healthy match day returns all will be rosy for the much sought after “Income streams” but continued failure on the pitch could mean the successful business types who populate them will no longer want to be associated with a team that consistently fails to produce success, and by “success” read “trophies.”

This transfer window was supposed to be different in terms of our ability to buy the necessary quality, and maybe convince our home sick, though honourable, captain that our manager is serious in his ambition for the club. The wider implications are that this could mean disillusionment amongst wider sections of the fan base may accelerate.

And while there remains eleven more days for this “ambition” to be demonstrated to me sufficiently for me to invest in the match day experience the signs are not encouraging.

I’ll always be a gooner but the economic reality we live in now means that failure in the transfer window this time will relegate me back to the ranks of the armchair fan as I can no longer justify the cost of the match day experience.

148 Responses to Exploited gooners – the final fanshare straw? – written by charybdis1966

1. SharkeySure says:

Boom? Lol

2. charybdis1966 says:

Hi S Sure – I just noticed the last line should have read “justify the cost of the matchday experience.”

3. SharkeySure says:

“fleecing the fans” Chary..??

Nothing that Arsenal offers is compulsory. Its not like gas or electricity is it..??

Very well written post (as all yours are) but very little of the content was to my liking.

No offence

4. Bernard says:

What a miserable blogger. With that attitude, the sooner you let an Arsenal supporter have your seat, the better.

Have to agree with Sharkey’s every word I am afriad chary.Can’t agree with you.

6. Kudos says:

Bernard stfu and keep watching us from that boozer on the moody sports channel.

7. Diamindave says:

If this were a business you would walk away from one of the top four clubs in the UK and the top 16 clubs (probably top 8) in Europe.
    Remind me not to use you as my broker

It also looks highly probable that we won’t see either Cesc or RVP starting tomorrow according to the boss.He says he doesn’t want to rush them back.

9. charybdis1966 says:

It’s only the way I see it guys, although I was hoping I could be convinced of the error of my ways and I was looking at it all wrong.
    Bernard’s obviously come closest to achieving that, LOL. 🙂

10. charybdis1966 says:

DiamondDave – if I was a broker giving you such a poor return on your investment I’d expect you to walk away, and rightly so.

11. Jenkinson says:

A very long moan with misconceptions about what share ownwership entails. Who knows if you fear that we are just being fattened up for a takeover proves to be right, you might have been able to have made a profit on your shares.
    Why don’t you just cough up and shut up?

Morning all,

Contentious post chary 😉

I must admit, when I heard about the fanshare idea I felt we should give it our full support and nothing I’ve read since has really changed that view. Feeling that we own a small piece of the club is more of an emotional reaction than expecting to have any meaningful influence on the way things are done.

On another note, when are we ever going to get some god luck? Arguably, two of the best performers in pre-season are out for lengthy periods; Nasri a month and Frimpong for the season. After previously thinking we have riches in midfield, and with an obviously unfit AA, we now will have to hope those who are left can stay injury free.

14. dandan says:

A very well constructed post, although totally misguided in my opinion, Companies will not walk away as long we play Wengerball, its the match day experience for their punters they are interested in. Sunderland sold bricks on their new stadium 15 years ago, The price of the ticket is for entertainment not winning. New players will arrive before season end. I could go on, I really don’t think Chary without being rude, that I have ever seen a serious post on here that I so disagree with.

Superbly written post as always Chary. Your writing always enlightens.

To some extent I agree with the thrust of your argument particularly the effect AW’s parsimony will have upon our Captain’s view of his future.

A couple of high profile signings excites not just the fans. When Sagna etc signed they walked into a dressing room with multiple WC winners and 2 or 3 of the best players in the world (I accept Fab is class but he is still a boy). We need to re-create that awe.

16. charybdis1966 says:

Jenkinson, I believe this blog allows everyone to share their views so if you’d like me to shut up you are welcome to explain, in a post of your own, just why my view of fanshare in the context of all the other revenue raising ideas is so wrong.
    As I said earlier I posted this to show my take on the way the fans money/support is being used with the view that it was slightly pessimistic but the positive gooners would come on board to prove me wrong.
    Silly me, all I get is the odd personal insult and nothing especially illuminating.

Excellent.

17. Grant says:

A wealthy investor is more likely to be interested in an enterprise whose revenues and profits can be enhanced. If they’ve already been maximised all he is buying is a revenue stream for which the maintenence costs are not only extremely high but subject to inflationary pressures which are difficult to control. Such as supporters claiming arguing over a few million here or there isn’t worth bothering with. But every £1m over spent on transfer is probably 2 or 3 fewer kids you can put through the academy – maybe £10,000 a week off the wages you can pay two of our top players making it harder to keep them. It’s easy from the comfort of an armchair to dismiss these sums as insignificant just as its easier to support the team from the comfort of an armchair – and let’s face it, if your support is conditional on the winning of trophies that’s probably the best place for you.

18. Kudos says:

We will be bought out buy the Russian!

19. SharkeySure says:

The old saying is that ‘you pays yer monery and makes yer choice’.

I think first off, you choose whether or not to spend your money.

Its like when clubs are slated for releasing new kits too often. Big deal, just don’t buy them. ‘Aah but you know – the kids demand them’. Not in my house they can”t/don’t.

I do agree that football fans are not normal customers, but I wholly disagree that fans are financially beholden to any football club.

Fans emigrate (boa suerte RockyL) and their love for the Arse burns as brightly as ever, up at all hours towatch games. There’seven a guy flies in for home games from Chicago ! On the other hand you have ST holders who miss a fair few games, even though they’ve already paid their money for them. There’s peope buying the more expensive tickets then moaning about the cost. Thats choice

The guy in Kenya who took his own life over an Arsenal loss, was probably not the sharpest tool in the box, but was a pretty diehard fan. I can’t imagine he ever spent more than a tenner a year on the Arse

20. charybdis1966 says:

Well done Radders, you’ve actually taken the time to read the post and see what I’m driving at instead of just dismissing it as a moan.
    Grant, my support is unconditional and going to Barnet pre seasons, reserve games and members day t in the last two years on top of a dozen first team games is hardly the mark of an “armchair fan”, but hey ho people who don’t know will make such fatuous remarks.
    But turning to the likely behaviour of whoever makes a takeover bid, I’ll admit to not knowing the detail I was flagging up what I think is a possibility and a more informed take is welcome.

Welcome Grant,

Thanks for the well conceived comment.

This is not aimed at you in particular, but as someone who has been to games with chary, I should just nip in the bud the idea that he is an armchair supporter. He devotes a lot of his time and energy to supporting the club.

22. dandan says:

Sharky your last para was a bit of a fierce pun, no laughing matter really but quite superb

23. Jimlls Brain says:

The notion that Fanshare is a bad idea in the current climate of the Premier League is nonsense. Even if it doesn’t achieve the 25% target in order to influence the board (which is actually highly likely considering dividends will be pumped back into buying more shares), it stops a potential owner from sweeping up loose shares potentially required for a takeover, by locking them in a trust. Having to deal with a trust on whatever level also makes the proposition of owning the club in order to exploit it less attractive, and therefore less likely that we become a Man United or Liverpool.

24. charybdis1966 says:

I read that the maximum that could be allocated to fanshare was a 20% share J Brain? In any case if it does make a take over less likely then it’s all well and good, but by then surely a compulsory offer can be made by a majority shareholder?
    My main gripe with fanshare is that on top of all the other ways by which the club makes maximum effort to extract funds from fans this seemed a tad cynical when viewed in the context of the clubs miserly approach to squad investment.

It’s all about opinions,and one bond we have is that we all support the same club, some by attendance others not.

However,as I have said before, paying the highest prices to watch our team,does not equate to winning trophies.

As far as the fanshare, i think rasp summed it up perfectly.

One game in, and the team is somewhat depleted and that for the moment concerns me more than any potential signings.Arshavin has been carrying one injury or another for a season, Nic wasn’t fit,yet played in the WC.Frimsong and Nasri (last season) were injured in training matches.Denilson and Diaby and Song have picked up injuries in the close season,and as I said earlier Wenger has stated that RVP and Cesc are not quite ready.

Our training methods more than adding to the squad should be the priority.

26. Wyn Mills says:

I will never understand why people get abusive whenever a bloggist is honest enough to give their own opinion. No-one is asking you to agree, but at least formulate a reasoned response, not just mutter ‘shut up’, or the stock lame rant ‘give your seat up for a real fan’. Chary makes some decent points and surely many of you will be wondering why we are leaving our negotiations to the last moment and haggling over the odd 500,000k when there are much greater potential prizes at stake? We are not talking silly money for an experienced keeper like Schwarzer, yet you would think we were being asked to spend £20m on the guy, such has been the protracted nature of this transfer. In the context of what we are spending on untested youngsters at the moment this fee is tiny. And why are we being so intransigent with the over 30 one year contract rule? That immediately puts a great swathe of the market virtually out of reach. At some point we supporters, like Cesc, have to ask questions, because with Wenger there is history. And as fans we are entitled to more than just silence or platitudes.

27. Grant says:

Why the sensitivity about being an armchair supporter? Many of them are as committed as any others but lack the financial resources or the logistical possibility to attend matches. In chary’s case he is the one imposing the condition that if his transfer window expectations aren’t met he isn’t going anymore. He can’t claim his support is unconditional while simultaneously attaching conditions to it.
    “I’ll always be a gooner but the economic reality we live in now means that failure in the transfer window this time will relegate me back to the ranks of the armchair fan as I can no longer justify the match day experience.”

28. charybdis1966 says:

Sorry Dandan, just seen your 9:54 – it’s ok to disagree mate, I’m not expecting widespread agreement, hell I’ve got involved in blog flame wars with manks, Stoke fans and spuds so I’m not so sensitive.
    I suppose a strong reaction against is better than indifference !

29. SharkeySure says:

DanDan, I saw it coming as I was writing it, but wasn’t sure if I should avoid it.

Feel free to add ‘Boom Boom’ in your own mind each time you recall/read it though.

*Unsure if I should add a smiley here*

Jeez this is hard work….

30. charybdis1966 says:

To precis Grant – I’ll be a supporter I just won’t attend matches as much as I currently do.
    I’m going to the Blackpool game on Saturday, I take it you are ?

31. dandan says:

I was under the impression that fanshare was the brainchild of the supporters trust, which was then given the clubs blessing. So I cannot see the link you make with squad investment.

In passing my preference for fan share would have been to recall a tranche of shares and reissue ten times as many shares in there place valued at 10% of the value thus allowing you to own a share for your investment not a piece of one.

32. Jimlls Brain says:

I’ll bring it down to an even more basic level. Fanshare is neither the idea or property of Arsenal Holdings PLC; it merely has the backing of the club, much to the surprise of many commentators on the situation. How you can blame the club for this is ridiculous. Fanshare is the brainchild of The Arsenal Trust which I can assure you is batting for the same side as you and me mate. I think it’s important that you understand the importance of Fanshare. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 17 years and am both pleased and proud that this situation has arisen.

33. Danny says:

Top post, agree with everything you’ve said. I’ve had a season ticket for 25 years but this season have leased it out as I’m sick and tired of the lack of ambition by our club. I do wonder if the club are aware of the fast growing unrest of the fans, the joke of our transfer policy in my opinion has cost us at least two prem titles in the last five years and I, like thousands of others are no longer willing to fund whatever agenda they have.

34. charybdis1966 says:

Dandan/J Brain – a flyer promoting Fanshare arrived with my membership pack for this season, so I naturally assumed it was at the clubs volition.

Hi Wyn Mills and welcome,

Thanks for the excellent comment, it is good to have a new blogger who understands the site for once. Everyone who writes on here is committed to Arseanl, but it would be pointless and very boring if we agreed all the time.

Grant, thanks for coming back. Chary has gone to far flung reserve games just to watch a new young player and then written a report for the site so the description of him as an armchair supporter is way off the mark. He loves the club as much as you and me.

36. charybdis1966 says:

Danny cheers for that; you summed up why there is a significant proportion of the fanbase that feels the way my post suggest.
    A season ticket holder of 25 years is hardly armchair, eh ?

37. Grant says:

So not an unconditional supporter then – that’s fair enough. First home game of the season – I’ll be there but how will you know if I am or not? You make any claim on a blog. Best stick to discussing that which can be verified. None of us have any idea how much or how little effort has been put into signing players this summer. They can fall apart for any number of reasons not all of which are directly related to the headline transfer fee.

38. Jimlls Brain says:

Chary; you have to understand that Fanshare is acting independently in order to try and claim a slice of the club for the likes of you and me. It is a small miracle that they endorsed it, but I can see the mistake. Looking forward to Saturday, and I agree with you about our transfer policies 100%.

39. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers, hear, hear to what you say about Wyn Mills(and top comment there sir) – I don’t expect universal agreement but I would like constructive and reasoned argument to debunk or prove my points.

40. Grant says:

A season ticket holder who leases his ticket out because he’s ‘sick and tired’ of the club’s policies as opposed to giving it up and not letting one of the many on the waiting list take it up? I wonder what we should make of that?

41. SharkeySure says:

Armchair …yawn. ST 25 years …yawn. Not missed a match home or away for 50 years….yawn. I live in Canada, Denmark, Chicago, have no job and twelve kids, I run a Bangladeshi sweatshop and a Calcutta call centre…yawn. I’m too busy with my work at Ryan Air’s customer satisfaction dept …yawn.

How do any of the above add or subtract to the weight of any opinions on here..??

Maybe I don’t attend enough games to understand ..??

42. Jimlls Brain says:

PS. I hate those membership packs. I give them to my nephews before I even open them. They should stop wasting money on stuff like that and put it into the transfer pool. What on earth was wrong with sending us a new book of tickets every year?

Well done chary your post has brought out good comments from both sides of the fence. The idea that one could feel so dejected about the way things are being handled at the club that you don’t fancy going to games is not a new one. Season Ticket holders of all clubs feel that this is the ultimate power that they hold – empty seats are a real indictment of how supporters are feeling.

Where will the income from the fanshare be heading? To further line the pockets of the board or into the coffers of the club?

44. jena says:

if the money is not going into buying players who can win us trophies , why bother about this fanshare…whats the point really.
    I dont understand why we cant sign cheap players, players who no other top club want. Its not like Mancity CChelsea or Barcelona are bidding Schwarzr or Squilaci. Why were they not bought a long time ago?? IS our club on auto pilot??

This fanshare seems to be a diversion target at the fans – to divert them from the real issue at hand..which is buying the players tp strengthen the squad.

45. charybdis1966 says:

That’s quite easy in my case Grant, I’ll be writing a match report with photos on Saturdays game for another site, but yes I agree who attends is neither here nor there.
    The way I see it our transfers in are as protracted and long winded as our transfers out are not. The haggling over minor amounts just makes us look cheap and sordid, for a supposedly rich club I don’t know why a lot of our recent transfers seem to be such a struggle.

46. Jimlls Brain says:

If you want something to blog and moan about, talk about ticket exchange. Last year I had about fifteen people sitting next to me in what is supposed to be a season ticket. The club has done this not for our convenience, but to encourage as many different people through the gates every season in order to spend on merchandise and food. I remember the days where I used to say hello to about 30 people around me; now it’s nearer five.

47. Jimlls Brain says:

I wish people would stop misunderstanding who owns Fanshare…. Chary; you set a real ignorance ball rolling here.

48. Grant – I can verify that chary will be there, you can too if you want to meet up with us.

49. dandan says:

In truth our problem is not the clubs transfer dealings, but the machination’s of the Media, agents and fellow players all feeding us crap in their endless quest to earn themselves a few extra bob, whether it be in the interest of the player or not.
    Surely it is time we said “bollocks” to them all and waited for the window to close. Then and only then will we know where we are.
    I bet Fulham wish they had waited before parting with good readies for poor old Senderos.

50. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Peachy, I was just feeling a little low and wanted to be cheered up by people telling me how I’d gotten it all wrong!
    Still, the thought of a score draw at Shite Hart Lane on Wednesday will make me smile. 🙂

51. bergkampisgod says:

Chary

Your view of the fanshare is wrong because it came from the shareholders trust not the club. It will for the fans not the club, no money from this goes to the club.

If you actually looked around at the positives the different fan groups are trying rather than just dishing up the same moans all the time you too might feel that we are better placed than other other club in the UK maybe even Europe to come out of this economic downturn and new rules on financial management.

52. Wyn Mills says:

Thanks for the welcome Rasp. Agree about the importance of differences of opinion. I don’t always agree with what is said on many blogs but I have to say it irritates me when you can’t have a good debate about the rights and wrongs of your club without someone somewhere questioning your loyalty or attitude. We can surely disagree without it descending to that level of sniping.

53. London says:

Tomorrow, I will excitedly make my way to the ground, I will not buy a plaque, a brick, a share, a scarf or even a hot dog; I will take my seat and as the boys appear wearing the glorious red and white I will, as usual, get goose bumps; I will watch the game enjoying every second while subconsciously being aware of just how lucky I am to be an Arsenal supporter.

54. charybdis1966 says:

BisGod – I’ve said earlier in the comments why I thought AFC were responsible for Fanshare.
    Good choice of name BTW – DB10 is far and away my most revered player of all time.

55. emve says:

morning,
    undoubtedly a well written post, but some of the arguments I cannot understand.

Chary, could you explain why running the club in a financially sound way – that is, paying the debts off and increasing the ‘revenue streams’ (what a terrible phrase) – is a way of preparing the arsenal for a take-over by some fat cat? You seem to suggest that we should keep a high level of debt and low levels of income to make the club uninteresting. To me this does not seem to make sense, both from a logical point of view and also empirically as all the clubs that are rumoured to be taken over soon or in the not so distant future (Blackburn, Liverpool, maybe even manure) are deep in the brown stuff financially.

I also do not understand your take on transfers. as far as I am aware it is a long-standing principle of AW not to pay over the odds as this will hurt the club (and his previous clubs) in the long run. I know it is tempting to pay, say, £4m for schwarzer to seal the deal quickly but this comes at a price as any other club would bum-rape us big time in the future. they could point out that we shelled out 4 mil for a guy close to retirement and justifiably ask for some more – just look at what happens to chelsea, manshitty or even manure who constantly seem to smash transfer records. while there is arguably need for some extra bodies in defence, desperation (in the form of bids that are too high) might solve a short term problem but might also create a long-term problem in that any future transfer will be more costly. I think there is some method in what AW is doing even though supporters might not always agree with it. I therefore do not agree with your assessment that just because the move to the ems has been done and the debt levels go down we should start paying over the odds.

56. charybdis1966 says:

As will I London, but I couldn’t buy a hot dog anyway unless it was a veggie one.

57. Danny says:

Hardly armchair, no. Arsenal is my life wether I go or not. Perhaps it’s my age(44), but I don’t get the same buzz from the ‘new’ fanbase of the Emirates as I did at Highbury. I absolutely idolised Arsene, but for me he has become reactionary(and slow at that)rather than pro-active. For a club that’s in such a healthy state the PR is awful, the fans need to feel excited by the club not depressed. Our way of dealing with transfers has become embarrassing.

58. SharkeySure says:

Wyn….this really is a site with practically zero abuse. You can see now I hope that the mild abuse you saw earlier is pretty isolated, and never reciprocated.

59. dandan says:

I remember the days when I could do that London with great affection and wish you and all your fellow ticket holders a magic season.
    In the meantime I will make do with TV computer and Radio to continue to get my Arsenal fix ( cant say Highbury high any more) and will refuse to feel any less committed than any of you current attendees

60. Jimlls Brain – so who owns fanshare and where will the money be going?

61. charybdis1966 says:

Emve, if a company has less debt on its books it is more attractive to an investor.
    Income streams from supporters are only guaranteed long term if people are happy with on field performance and new supporters are enticed into watching us for a combination of attractive play AND competing for trophies. If you fail to invest in the squad in numbers and quality surely our allure to undecided supporters will wane? Put another way, having large net profits year on year are not enough on their own if capital investment isn’t undertaken to guard the viability of the core business, i.e. the playing side of the club.

62. Grant says:

The viability of the core business depends on its ability to compete for the major trophies on a consistent basis. Overspending (beyond that which makes financial sense) in order to increase your chances in one season at the risk of reducing your chances in subsequent seasons doesn’t increase the viability of the core business. The best chance of winning a trophy is to be able to compete on a sustained basis. That is what offers the best chance of success.

63. emve says:

Chary, I can see your point on revenue from supporters, although I do not share your view that attraction to a team is directly related to spending on the squad, although, reading le grove for fun now and then, suggests that there are many who believe that big spending is the only way to improve and to attract supporters…
    but to come to the point of attraction for a wealthy investor, how do you explain the apparent ‘scramble’ for liverpool in recent weeks? this seems to suggest that a healthy financial state and no debt are not significant factors in take over decisions…

64. Davos says:

Hi Charybdis,

Quite an interesting read but I’m not sure you really understand the key concepts. Neither paying down debt or the Fanshare scheme would make the club more attractive to someone wishing to make a takeover for the club.

Any businessman wishing to take over Arsenal would not be put off by the fact that there was £200m of debt on the balance sheet. He would know that it sensible levels of debt is an efficient way of running a business. If there was £200m less debt on the balance sheet, he would just have to pay £200m more to buy the club, it makes no difference.

The fanshare scheme is an idea to buy shares. Any shares that are bought is not cash that goes to the club, it just goes to the person selling the share. This will not make the club any more or less attractive to a potential bidder

D

65. Wyn Mills says:

emve, Schwarzer has at least another 2-3 years at top level. Goalkeepers usually get better as they get older, not worse. £4m is what Fulham have quoted but it seems to me we are not even meeting them half way at £3m. This isn’t much for a keeper of his experience and ability.

I don’t think this is setting a precedent as I believe we already have a reputation as pretty sharp transfer operators. What I hope we don’t do is try to take advantage of a player wanting to leave a club, as illustrated by Barcelona’s shenanigans this summer.

On top of all this in both the keeper and CB cases we are leaving things to the last moment when there will be no time for the selling club to bring in a replacement.

66. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

For what it is worth, I think there is a lot more guts for someone like you to put up a post to be shot at, than is shown by someone who wants to deliver a killer punchline comment, which is usually either stupid or bollocks.

I admire your forthright style. 🙂

I do understand what you are saying, and there are undoubtedly fans out there who agree with you and some who won’t.

But in truth, all you are doing, as I see it, is offering up a position for debate. There can never be a right or wrong with something as emotively personal as supporting your football club.

Good on you! 🙂

67. Wyn Mills says:

Sharkey, yes I can see that as the discussion has progressed the level of debate has also advanced. i appreciate as a newbie I may not appreciate the existing dynamics at work.

68. charybdis1966 says:

Cheers RedA – I saw a leitmotiv in the way things were beginning to show themselves to me, the transfer policy, the plaques, the bricks, the fanshare which I wanted to bring up for debate.
    The club as an entity is an organic being which you cannot evaluate objectively, which is why so much of what we debate is opinion based and therefore does sadly become a bit too personal at times. We all love the club and I’m loathe to denounce a fellow gooner for having a different opinion as long as he/she articulates.
    Davos – I saw the reduction in debt as being an attraction for an investor(a new owner will think “why should I pay for the stadium, I just want the revenues from match days and TV”) while the fanshare was a separate issue for me, I saw it as being a little cynical and slightly misleading. Again, my opinion only but it doesn’t mean I’m a lesser supporter than one who holds the opposite view.

69. Red Arse says:

Sharkeysure,

Don’t scare off Wyn by telling him of the usual lunchtime appearance of Frothing Inarticulate Loon. 🙂

70. Wyn Mills says:

RA, old enough now to know there’s always a “Frothing Inarticulate Loon” attached to every blog.

71. Red Arse says:

Davos,

Your explanation is spot on, and while I am sure you did not mean to be rude, it might have been better to leave out the comment about understanding.

CharyB as a committed gooner offered an explanation of what he meant, which seems reasonable to me. 🙂

72. Red Arse says:

Just kidding Wyn,

I’ve enjoyed your contributions this a.m. 🙂

73. Davos says:

Hi guys,

I absolutely meant to offence at all, sometimes comments written on these boards can come across as critical when they’re not meant that way at all (probably due to the fact that some of the boards are full of so much unnecesary vitriol). Please accept my apologies if it came across in the wrong way. I just wanted to politely (hopefully) point out what I saw as a flaw in the argument.
    However, I fully agree that we can all be truly committed Gooners (why would we all go to Match after match ever since we were young if we weren’t committed)and just have a difference of opinion about issues surrounding the club. I have had a similar disagreement with my best mate who is very pro the fanshae scheme, whereas I have my concerns, and I said to him that i didn’t think he’d fully understood the system too. However, that was said face to face where he could tell that my tone wasn’t aggressive.

In any case, we’ll all be singing the same tune on Saturday afternoon, and that’s the beauty of being true fans.

D

74. charybdis1966 says:

That’s the spirit Davos, as was said earlier I was offering up an opinion for debate and I think it’s right that we can question the way the club is being run. We all want whatever will help us to progress as a club and because we express our desire for the club differently as gooners we show we can live with that variation of opinions.
    As you say, we look forward to a trouncing of the new boys tomorrow, although they appear to be quite likeable opponents when you compare them to the Stokes, Birmingham and Blackburns of this world.

75. SharkeySure says:

Well played Davos.

I love this blog !

76. dandan says:

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside all people.

He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves that dwell inside each and everyone of us.

“One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute, and then asked his grandfather:

“Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied: “The one you feed.”

77. charybdis1966 says:

Dandan, that reminds of a line from one of my favourite sitcoms:
    A guy whose had his confidence eroded by a domineering and hateful mother doesn’t believe a positive thinking type of woman who says that “love is all around you”, he says “Is it hiding behind the loathing and rejection?”

78. London says:

And Dandan’s 12:01 is the reason I like this site so much……..that comment makes me feel as close as it gets to a Dennis Bergkamp goal.

79. charybdis1966 says:

London, I reckon my previous comment is like watching a Fabianski ricket ?

80. gunnerN5 says:

Chary: I’ve read your piece and every other post today and for the most part I find it most depressing.

I accept that blogs are all about ones personal views but unfortunately few if any of the posts seem to have any factual base. This means that emotion rules and actual real knowledge is secondary or unimportant.

In supporting Arsenal I have never involved myself in guessing games about why things are the way they are. I, like the vast majority of us, have NO inside knowledge to support a valid argument, therefore it just ends up being, well or poorly, phrased words on paper.

You see when I watch and support my team I put my business brain on hold.

Arsenal means way more to me than trying to second guess what our manager is doing, why we spend so little, why we charge so much for tickets, who is sitting next to me, am I getting value for my money, why did we get into Highbury Square, the benefit of Fanshare —- or trying to seem smart at the expense of our board or our manager.

You see football is a sport that in order to survive and thrive has to be run as a business, and from the outside looking in it would appear the Arsenal management team are doing a 1st class job, It’s so easy, and naive, to pick on certain things like transfer policy and nit pick but we have no bloody idea of what we are offering or what is being countered – so I prefer to leave it to our chosen experts.

My 63 years of support for the Arsenal cannot be described as cerebral – I support with my heart, my soul and my gut. I would just love to have the adrenalin rush I used to get from walking down Avenell Road to the ground, hearing the noises from in the ground the roars, the sighs…….

At 73 years old I still NEVER miss a game, even though these days it’s on TV or the internet- but I still get goose bumps and can imagine I’m standing under the clock again……

Supporting Arsenal is a joy – why make it less?

81. SharkeySure says:

I’ll second that London.

DanDan that post resonates so strongly with me. In that same vein, I’ve barely used the word ‘hate’ in the last 10 years, and I certainly don’t use it randomly anymore.

God only knows how some people use certain much stronger words so freely, in relation to any and everything.

Feed your good wolf….brilliant !

82. SharkeySure says:

Well said Gunner5.

Please tell me that you’ve watched ‘A Night at the Emirates’ on Youtube. Its brilliant.

83. charybdis1966 says:

That’s ok N5, I felt quite depressed when I proof read it after I wrote it!
    I do agree that supporting a club is not an analytical choice, it is one from the heart and as a lot of what I gave my view on, as I said in the piece, was based on situations to which I’d never have the background detail. It was my perception of how things appeared to me and I appreciate your as always articulate response.
    It’s also true that a club exists in a business environment and to an extent must act accordingly, however the very fact that supporters are tied into the club for life means that it can’t be treated purely as a business.

84. Frothing Inarticulate Loon says:

Afternoon All, espevially to you Red Arse, or have I missed you …again !!

Also, a hearty welcome to Wyn. I believe you’ve been expecting me..?? 😉

85. London says:

Gunner5, Sharkey is right if you haven’t already seen ‘A Night at the Emirates’ on YouTube give it a look, it is worth the effort.

86. dandan says:

Sharkey it is what I tell my grandchildren,N5 thank you for those wise words.
    Last night I watched the pool with my youngest son a pool fan, half time he said to me Dad I hope we win something this year, but more than anything its so good to feel there is a decent man at the helm again.
    Winning they say is a habit,so it maybe. But loving your club is inbuilt.

87. tommystout says:

good morning everyone
    looks like djourou is short for tomorrow

88. tommystout says:

thank god we are playing blackpool, looks like song will go CB

Sharkey & GunnerN5,

The video ‘A night at the Emirates’ is available on this site. Click the ‘Video Library tab’ at the top of the page and I beleive it is the first. It is still the most evocative piece of Arsenal film I have ever seen – congratulations to the supporter responsible.

90. Red Arse says:

Hi FIL,

What would lunch time be without you my friend? 🙂

91. Frothing Inarticulate Loon says:

Don’t ask a loon like me, tough questions like that Red.

Is it philosophical, hypothetical, or a hospital..?? Its your call.

Nite

I’m not one to write players off too soon, but we really have to lower our expectations of Djourou. Squillaci (if he arrives) will slot straight in as first choice back-up for CB.

93. Kudos says:

Grant …. You’re the exact arsenal supporter I hate… Do you want to buy my season ticket off me???
    I could give you 10’s of 30-40 yr ok’d arsenal dans willing to let you gave their season ticket……no go back down the boozer and watch our games on some fidget channel voicing. Your in arsene we trust bullshit!

94. SharkeySure says:

Cheers Rasp, I thought it was on here somewhere.

Its really spine tingling stuff !! It just needs the smell of the burger vans (ie exhaust fumes and burgers) to be added.

Hi Sharkey,

Yes, I get quite emotional every time I watch it 😉

96. SharkeySure says:

Sounds like you’re feeding the wrong wolf Kudos.

Lighten up

97. fatgingergooner says:

got to agree with the frustrations regarding Wengers refusal to spend a penny more than the other club is willing to accept. seems to take an age for Arsenal to agree transfer fees as Wenger will up his bid slowly but surely until he lands on the exact price the other club is willing to accept, or so it seems.

didnt really read any more as it looks far too wordy and serious for my levels of IQ and attention span!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope to God that we sign Schwarzer and Squillaci before the end of the window. not sure if they are the answer, but it might give some whinging gooners something to talk about other than our failure to buy players!

Hi FGG,

Schwarzer and Squillaci will significantly strengthen the squad in it’s areas of weakness and so will be a very good thing since we’re not going to buy Vidic and Reina 😛

99. Red Arse says:

I have just read the Nabarro and Slaughter and May’s report about the fanshare scheme.

Arsenal are the instigators of the scheme administered by the brokers Equiniti, allowing fans to purchase 100th of a share by buying multiples monthly of £100 or £1,000.

Looks like CharyB was right, again! 🙂

100. London says:

Hi Rasp

We could just as easily raise our expectations for Djourou’s involvement in the forthcoming season. The glass is half full or the glass is half empty.

101. Red Arse says:

Sorry a small typo. Should read from £10 to £1,000 per month, with a minimum purchase of £100.

Hi London,

Do you agree with me that if we sign Squillaci, Djourou will be pushed down the pecking order to 4th choice. I know you like him and want him to do well, but I watched him closely in the pre-season matches and he lacked disciplne and positional awareness. I accept these are the things that a young player can develop, but if you add his injury record and lack of aggression it doesn’t make a great prospect.

One thing I loved about kozzer against pool was his steely determination and clenched jaw, he wasn’t going to let anyone get past him, I believe all great CB’s have to hard bastards (on the field any way)

103. tommystout says:

Rasp – is squillaci left side or right side centre back?

I believe he’s right sided but couldn’t be 100% sure tommy. He certainly has plenty of experience and that is no bad thing.

105. CescGod says:

Can I grab your attention and point you to my new blog, with your help I can make a real go of it! Cheers 🙂

106. gunnerN5 says:

Sharkey/Rasp; I just watched “A night at the Emirates” from the video library- thanks for the thought.

I could never get used to sitting at a game – standing under the clock swaying up and down, side to side was an experience all of it’s own.

My brother in law, a Liverpool supporter, used to get me into Anfield when Arsenal were playing. On one occasion we stood in the Kop – and what an experience!!

I couldn’t hide the fact that I was an Arsenal supporter but the banter back and forth was very friendly.

107. Hi Red Arse – do you have a link for that report about the fanshare? Can you share it?

108. Wyn Mills says:

I thought RA was joking. There really is an Inarticulate Loon on the site!
    Pleased to meet you. 🙂

109. charybdis1966 says:

Don’t forget the Frothing part of his name Wyn.
    Raspers, I’m glad to see Kozzer has that determnination in him, the one word that sums up Djouruo to me is “ponderous” – he has to be no better than 3rd or 4th choice, behind Kozzer and the new(hopefully) CB coming in.

110. ArseChicago says:

From what I can tell in poring over Arsenal’s financial statements every six months, the club is not necessarily prepaying the mortgage of the Emirates. Really there’s no need given the long-term, low interest nature of the loan. And with the Highbury development debt now fully paid off, the cash going to the balance sheet will continue to grow at an astonishing clip. The club continues to repeat that there is no intention of the ownership taking dividends from earnings and the club continues to say that it will re-invest its profits into the club. This investment has been in the areas of “Arsenalization” and in signing its players to long-term contracts. The former I see as investment, the latter I see as normal course of football operations. Whether or not you sign up players to long-term contracts, you’re going to be paying a certain amount of athletes money next year to play football for the club. And the next year, the year after that, etc.

I think much of the frustration of supporters like Chary stems from the seemingly purposeless nature of this growing cash pile. It’s kind of like your friend asking to borrow money from you, simply to put it in the bank. If Arsenal’s owners aren’t going to take dividends, or prepay the Emirates mortgage, or actually spend the money on transfers, then what is the point of having 100+MM pounds of cash on the balance sheet? If we’re waiting for the transfer market to cool off, I’m afraid that won’t be happening anytime soon. So in the meantime, why not reduce ticket prices by 10%? Why not have the club make 40MM in profits, not 50MM? It’s high time for the club to get much more specific about what it intends to do with the supporters contributions. Supporters aren’t naive to think it doesn’t cost money to run a successful football club. But management needs to at least try and not look exploitative of the fact that for most supporters, the money they shell out in support of the club is of secondary concern to said supporters. So in summary, I understand the frustration of supporters like Chary. If the club’s intent is to just build a growing pile of cash, maybe have it grow at a slower rate than what it is now. Particularly if there are no plans to ever have a net transfer spend of more than a few million pounds in any one season.

111. charybdis1966 says:

Welcome A Chicago(I’ll try not to think of Mayor Daley now) and you’ve obviously taken the time to digest what I was trying to say.
    On their own each point I make doesn’t prove fans are being bled dry but it’s more an accumulation of things that pushes me to that view.
    Good points raised on the relative rate of decrease in debt to cash stock piling also.

112. Red Arse says:

Excellent review of the known financial position ArseChicago.

Really interesting summary of the options available to AFC.

113. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

You see there are two of out there that love you! 😳

114. ArseChicago says:

Can I just say, too, that if what the reports say are true (always a big caveat), if Wenger offered 2MM the first time for Schwarzer, and 2MM the second time for Schwarzer, a small part of me is starting to wonder if he’s gone a bit mad. So we’re valuing Schwarzer at 500,000 more than what we’re apparently getting for Jay Simpson? I love you, Arsene, but that’s a real headscratcher.

115. charybdis1966 says:

That’s 2 more than in real life Red A 😦

116. charybdis1966 says:

A Chicago – that’s one of the points I made – overvaluing our players for sale and undervaluing other teams players we want to buy. It baffles me too.

117. Red Arse says:

What, CharyB? I tought this was real life. Damn.

Let me tell you something to cheer you up.

A man and his wife were desperate to have a boy child, but had almost given up hope. Let’s try one last time the husband said.

To their delight, the wife became pregnant but had the ugliest baby boy the world had ever seen.

“He cannot possibly be mine”, said the husband, “I have two of the most beautiful young daughters imaginable. Have you been fooling around behind my back”.

His wife looked him in the eye and said sweetly, “not this time”! 😉

118. Red Arse says:

Thing is though, Arsechicago, the valuations are arived at by a willing buyer and a willing seller.

In the case of Schwarzer, one or the other is clearly not willing. Your question is apt, who has the greater need? Can I suggest Arsenal’s.

119. charybdis1966 says:

Good one Red A.

The problem with the Schwarzer case is that I’m sure Mark “Cock sandwich” Hughes is happy to put his grudge above a players desire to leave – he’s that bloody minded and vindictive.

120. London says:

Did anyone see the interview with Hughs on Sky? He said that we have made the same offer of 2 mil that was made in May which is understandable since the regime has changed and the offer of the same amount is a way of restarting negotiations with the new powers that be……anyway the interesting thing he said was that Schwarzer has not trained……this I read to mean that he his doing an Anelka…..sell me or I am not playing.

I am now 70/30 that this will happen.

121. ArseChicago says:

I agree about the willingness of the seller, but it’s kind of silly to offer the same amount that you apparently offered the first time. I guess if Arsene’s the Godfather, then Hughes wakes up with a horse’s head in his bed prior to selling us Schwarzer for 200,000. But as for player valuation, in isolation, Schwarzer might be worth 1 or 2MM. But in the context of his improving the GK situation at a club like Arsenal, Schwarzer’s value is higher than normal given that his improvement of the club could make a large difference monetarily. Schwarzer going to, say, West Ham? Not so much. The question is, what is the opportunity cost for Arsenal by not improving the GK situation as it stands? Apparently, Wenger doesn’t believe that getting a GK that gives the club a more meaningful chance of winning the Premiership is worth more than 2MM.

122. SharkeySure says:

Ordinarily I’d disagree ArseC, but thi shas dragged on fopr so long, that I think we just need to do something to seal the deal. Whether its to offer another 0.5m or a young player on loan, pref Mark Randall !

123. London says:

Rasp

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I like every other Arsenal supporter let out the collective sigh of relief when at Anfield after thirty minutes Kozzer flung himself head first to stop an attack at which point we all new we had a fighter.

As for Scillaci if he is better than Kozzer then let him play.

Re Djourou, it’s true I did not see the preseason but what I did see did not leave Kozzer covered in glory and yet when he was really needed he was there to be counted; Djourou deserves the same faith until proved otherwise.

It is going to be hard for Djourou not to have a better season than last and it is from this stand point that I am coming from.

124. London says:

It’s not really silly to make the same offer. If you offered $10,000 for a car to a person who you thought was the owner only to find out it was somebody elses…..what offer would you make to the real owner?

Hughs was not the manager in May now he is……make the same opening offer.

Coming on here late from the Americas it’s always a treat to read the blog and the ensuing banter.
    Today’s back-and-forth has been a particularly brilliant example of why this is such an excellent site. Lots of good, honest disagreement, lots of humour and plenty of people ready to shoot down the sort of abusive idiots who make most blog discussions unreadable.
    If one were to liken the blogosphere to the world of education, this site is Oxbridge in a sea of pikey comprehensives.

As for your post Chary, I enjoyed the read and you set out your argument well, although I incline towards thinking that the way our club is run financially is a model for others to follow and will sustain us long after the sugar daddies have got bored and taken their billions elsewhere.
    I share your frustration that it sometimes SEEMS as if we miss out on signings for the sake of relatively small amounts of money, but I highlight the word ‘seems’ because we don’t really know, and much of what’s reported in the press is absolute bollocks.

127. charybdis1966 says:

I like the sound of that R Lives, “the Oxbridge of blogs.”

Cool.

128. dandan says:

Where does that leave me Rocky I live half way between Cambridge and Wisbech the spiritual home of many pikeys.

129. Red Arse says:

Rockylives,

What a nice thing to say, but there are a couple of things I feel I need to come out and say.

First, we do actually have our own tame “bovver boy” named Frothing Inarticulate Loon, who has been known to drag the site down. 🙂

And second, I am a NY Yankees fan who is insufferable at the mo’! 😉

130. Red Arse says:

Arsechicago,

I take your point about the opportunity costs of delaying and perhaps failing to agree adeal.

Not clinching the signing of a centre forward in the Jan trfr window could have cost not just the title but another few million in “prize” money which may well more than paid for a new purchase.

I think though that there is bad blood between Hughes and Arsenal, and Fayed is not much better. 😦

131. dandan says:

Interestingly Traore,s Transfer has fallen down over his personel terms,it is said he is on 12k a week at Arsenal and Benfica offered half that.

Dandan, since the blogosphere-as-education concept is metaphorical, your physical location is irrelevant.
    Consider yourself fully entitled to the gown and mortar board.

And Red, I’m not a big baseball fan but I spent a few years in LA and have a soft spot for the Dodgers, who aren’t having such a good year.

133. dandan says:

What has Al Fayed got against Arsenal, I can understand Sparkies petulance but am not aware of a Fayed problem

I don’t really buy the Sparkie grudge thing. It’s just business. If he can line up Shay Given and, by playing hardball, get an extra million from us for the Aussie, he’ll do it. I don’t think there’s anything personal.

135. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I promise not to bore you with MLB stuff, except to say that ESPN has given us saturation coverage of most American sports and the Yankees last night were immense. 🙂

(memo to self; enough of that).

136. charybdis1966 says:

That’s ok RedA – me and Raspers often go on about cricket, a sport you probably find as unfathomable as I find baseball. Is it the one where you say “Win one for the gipper?”

137. dandan says:

Chary England have lost 5 wickets for 16 runs since tea, we are deep in the dudu mate

138. Red Arse says:

Sadly CharyB,

I have a checkered family background and am at home with both English and American sports. (Family in both countries and a mis-spent youth in both, so to speak). 🙂

Loves my cricket! 😉 England currently doing a dying swan; 210 for 7.

139. Red Arse says:

Sorry, make that 210 for 8 ….. bugger!

140. charybdis1966 says:

Oh right Red A, but the England scorecard is looking rather sorry now.

141. SharkeySure says:

“Oxbridge in a sea of pikey comprehensives” – so true.

I love this site !

Just a thought for the end of the day …. it’s interesting how little vitriol is being directed at Gallas by Arsenal fans for taking the spud’s money. I guess it is a reflection of the fact that we always knew he was a mercenary, and he may be the third CB they have who is a long term crock so actually it’s quite amusing.

Sol, in comparison, must be categorised similarly but was a much more passionate mercenary who had served us through some exceptional years. It does beg the question – should any player whose first loyalty is to his wages ever be appointed captain?

143. desigunner says:

You’ve raised some important points, albeit not to my liking. In that sense I’m in the same boat as Sharkey. And just like he said, no offence.

Firstly, I’m not convinced buying a player is as easy as giving an increased offer. For instance, if we went in with 4 mn for Scwarzer what prevents Fulham from hoping for 6? In a way supporters have assumed, perhaps based on the media opinion, that we can get the man with a million or so more. Arsene has been doing this for years now, and quite successfully I’d say. I prefer to trust his judgment on whether an offer is right or not.

I could present a similar counter view about Chamakh. How do we know he would have been allowed to go in Jan when Bordeaux were having a good run in the Champions League? And we had a pre-season to help him settle with the team. How do we know he would have fitted in right away in Jan? Once again it’s just an assumption that he would have and we would have done much better. I can’t prove the contrary opinion either but when both sides don’t have conclusive evidence shouldn’t we trust the greatest manager Arsenal has ever had?

I could give counter arguments for other points but it would get very long. I like your post because it doesn’t get abusive and pretentious. You’ve a right to criticize and you’ve done it with respect. In the same vein, I guess we’ll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on your points 🙂

Thanks for your thoughts desigunner,

If you’d like to write a piece expanding on your slant on transfers we’d be happy to put it up on the site as a headline one day. We have a post for monday giving another view on football transfers.

One thing is for sure, next week will be all about transfers with the fervour rising each day that passes and we don’t sign a keeper or CB.

145. charybdis1966 says:

No worries Des, I don’t expect agreement just reasoned debate and while I express my doubts it doesn’t diminish my attachment, now 35 years long, to the Arse any the less.
    For player transfers we’ll never know for sure what exactly goes on behind the scenes, it’s mainly conjecture and matters of personal perception – and therein lies the fun in blogging.
    Looking forward to tomorrow with our boys to put on a dam good show in front of me in the what will be the north bank.
    To be specific I’ll be by the corner flag to the right as you look at the north bank, six rows back.
    What joy it’ll be to see Cesc 4 in our new home strip for the first time.

Footy today and a NEW POST