Arsenal Sign £30m Star – should have gone to Speculation Savers!

Not much has changed since I last tried to reign in the excesses of those supporters who denigrate our club because we have failed to sign Messi (OK I exaggerate – but they started it).

We had a seemingly well informed blogger (Dudulino) on yesterday who claims to have met Koscielny at the training ground. Apparently he will wear squad number 6. The announcement of his arrival will be made with full fanfare on AW’s return from the World Cup – I believe Dudulino, it is totally in line with the way the club is being run now and for the foreseeable future.

Shock Headline from The Sun “Arsenal eye £40m swoop for Italian Stars” – calm down dear, it’s only a commercial …… to attract readers to a gutter newspaper!

Let me put everyone’s mind at rest. We aren’t going to sign any £30m players – but that’s OK, we’ll still be the Arsenal. We are just a couple of years ahead of the way every other club is going to have to operate. For some (pool) that change may come too late.

In the same way as we showed the Premiership how to play football and introduced new training techniques at the start of Wenger’s era, so we are now showing them how a club MUST be run to ensure survival. Most Premiership clubs can only dream of having a stadium like the Emirates, let alone achieve it with manageable debt.

I am optimistic that Schwarzer is already on his way and we will sign a big right sided central defender – Mertesacker will do nicely. I’m not bothered about Joe Cole, we have players as good as him already. I think a player like Mertesacker could be the last piece in the jigsaw for next season and would raise the intriguing prospect of Vermaelen or Djourou being advanced into the defensive midfield role. We have been linked with Ozil for £20m today (yawn), obviously that would only be a possibility if Cesc leaves.

I’m no saint when it comes to my wish list. I’d love us to sign Torres, but more than that, I want us to continue on this path because I wouldn’t risk the stability of the club for anything, if we did, all the hard work of the last 5 years would be wasted.

I hope my light hearted approach (or should that be reproach?) hasn’t upset any of those who crave signings at any price. We are all gooners after all and even those of you who are foaming at the mouth due to our lack of transfer activity will keep supporting the Arsenal come what may.

Written by Rasp

179 Responses to Arsenal Sign £30m Star – should have gone to Speculation Savers!

1. London says:

Great stuff Rasp

A superb read.

2. London says:

Buy one get one free…….lol, what a great idea.

Morning London, thanks,

Sorry, I’ve just seen your comment to me on the end of yesterday’s post. I wasn’t shocked by ACLF listing LG rather than impressed that beneath all the BS, they are professional and appreciate the work put into running a successful site. I think they both add a lot of colour to Arsenal blogging.

4. London says:

The most interesting thing I read on a blog yesterday was in response to critisicm of the two players above: it went that if Arsenal had signed Muller and Freidrich before the world cup some would have moaned about the club’s lack of ambition. I thought that was a very clever way of looking at it…..I think it was Mayank.

5. London says:

Rasp

Fair enough…..and very true.

I agree London. How can anybody criticise Chamakh or Koscielny – they haven’t seen them play for the Arsenal? Whoever else we sign, we will have to bed in a new defensive partnership which is why I believe Kozzer was rushed into training before even being announced as a player.

7. mahmud says:

jaklah beli satu dapat satu,,,kedekut sungguh no

8. GunnerPete says:

Like it! although I was really hoping that quite a few of our squad would be sold / or swapped by now ie; Denilson, Traore, Almunia, even Diaby…this would make room for our stiffs who are easily as good right now. Its possible also that AW may shock everyone and go for a 3 centre back system of fast ball playing CN like Koscy , Vermi & Tasci ??This would also mean that Gibbs and Sagna would be incorporated into a solid midfield.

9. London says:

I am not sure I agree with the idea that he was rushed into training, I just think it is a case of the presentaion being ear marked to unfold after the World Cup.

10. malima says:

interesting if we cud buy a player of 30m

Hi GunnerPete,

Interesting idea, can you really see AW departing from 4:5:1 when it is trained into the players from ther colts upwards?

I reckon there will be quite a few departures before the transfer window closes, but Denilson won’t be among them (you must know that 🙂 )

12. charybdis1966 says:

Do what Mahmud ? I only got the bit about “players” or “player” there, what did the rest mean ?

13. kr says:

tv an dj (quite funny) seem both to be getting along fine in pre season training, plus i think the kos and tasci will be back up but will also play. tasci is meant to be coming to arenal apparently stuttgart are badly looking for a cb and they are in talks with arsenal (about tasci not one of our defenders)

14. Larry says:

I agree with you,but for Torres,I don’t think we need an injury prone player..Lets see what chamakh brings on the table.Besides we are not going to kill our kindergaten by buying big names while we can grow them.

Golie is a MUST sign for AW,if we are to go far next season.

15. London says:

Morning GunnerPete

3 centre backs……now that is what I call thought provoking.

16. Widdas says:

Is this shopping obsession a way to attract more female fans. Let the youth come through instead of buying warmed up take away.

17. Dorset Gooner says:

Absolute sense. I think it is a greater achievement to finish third having spent a fraction in the transfer market and have a fantastic stadium. Not everybody can win a trophy, there are only so many to go round! How hollow can a premiership title be when it’s been bought at over inflated fees and wages.
    It’s the way of the chav, we are not and never will be chavs. I am proud to say.

18. JSP says:

Not much in the way of transfer activity anywhere at the moment, in fact we have looked quite active compared to other clubs!!!! there’s a first. Well other than Man City who are doing their best to ruin football just as Chelsea have tried to

19. Leo says:

I’m proud to be A GOONER!

20. shedzy says:

And your headline was designed to do what, exactly?!?!

I like the idea of 3 CBs, but i doubt it will happen – i’ve always liked that system actually, i think it encourages far more aggressive open attacking play, but it does require a decent DCM, and whilst I think Song is the nuts, I don’t think we have any backup; although maybe with some of the kids coming through (Nordveit, Ayling), PERHAPS we might have back up for DCM by playing one of those as CB and pushing Verm up the pitch a little – lets face it, he’s not exaxtly uncomfortable further up the pitch – he played up front in the closing minutes of many games last year.

As for the idiots who slate MC/LK before ever seeing them for the ARsenal – I wonder what they said when we signed TV last year….

21. SharkeySure says:

Widdas…..Lol

Dorset G. Thats the spirit. I don’t know what Arsenal means to some fans, to me its always meant ‘doing things properly’ to me.

Last game at Highbury. ‘I was there T-shirts’ for both home and away fans, in both colours! As I say ‘do things properly’ !!

Welcome Leo – good on yer fella 😛

Larry, Torres was only an example. He was amazing when fit last season, but we’ve got Chamakh now so we don’t need him.

23. SharkeySure says:

London – Mayank is a legend in my eyes, he’s been fighting the good fight ‘over there’ for a long time now.

I just don’t know how the likes of him, Rohan, and A have stuck it out for so long.

Patience of a saint – all 3 of them.

Hi shedzy,

There is a difference! The article that followed was designed to dispel myths not disseminate them, but thanks for reading.

25. London says:

“And your headline was designed to do what, exactly?!?!”

You tell him shedzy…..lol

Interesting thoughts on 3 CB’s hope you come back.

26. jm says:

spot on.

OK London, we’ll produce boring headlines to deter bloggers from coming to the site 🙄

I would add, that no-one makes a bean (actually the opposite) from AA unlike the owners of The Sun, it’s all done for the love of Arsenal.

28. BB says:

RE risk the stability of the club for anything..try this

Poor and happy or Rich and unhappy

29. Jack says:

Joe Cole is better than any player at Arsenal at the moment bar Fabregas, and plays his best football centrally anyway.

The Schwarzer move would be great.

Well done Rasp – how funny that some bloggers just don’t get the tongue in cheek thing 🙄

I think 3 centre-backs is a great plan – in fact an intelligent back four should always be prepared to play as a three and a roaming one – thinking about that we probably do that anyway just don’t have the personnel to execute it properly.

Welcome Jack, do you think Cole is better than Nasri and AA?

And no one wants to comment that Barca are practically insolvent. Amazing.

By the way on arse.com which gets updated every 3 months it still lists Gallas,Silvestre and Campbell in the squad.

How can they be in the squad if they are out of contract and have not renegotiated or have failed to do so.

33. zeki says:

Does this mean Denilson could be on his way out?
    Woohoo

34. charybdis1966 says:

Another good article explaining why many Gooners can’t get behind Ingerrland nowadays : http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1769

35. Morning kelsey – even if Barca are practically insolvent its not going to stop them being a club as you’ve already said the bank will bail them out.

If you want to write a post about it……… 😉

kelsey,

Write a post about it for us and you’ll get loads of comments.

37. charybdis1966 says:

Kelsey, I get the feeling that even though Tapalona would be relegated if they were a club in the Bundesliga or Championship for being as insolvent as they are, no catalan bank would want to pull the plug on them. The negative PR would be terminal for them.

snap peaches 😛

Morning Rasp,

I am fed up with Cole whoring himself to a number of clubs.Perhaps we should put in a cheeky bid for messi,give barca a taste of their own medicine, but we are gentlemen at Arsenal and don’t do things like that.

We are the media target, who try on a daily basis to rape and undermine our club.And on that point I would like to see gazidis be a bit more vocal instead of PHW.

40. Naija Dude says:

I’m proud t be a gooner! Buying every available player is a recipe to destoying football like the chavs and the clowns at Man City have embarked upon with their new found ill gotten wealth. Football is primarilly a sport but this idiots money-miss roads are doing their best to ruin this sport as we know it. Go Gooners go!

Morning kelsey, agreed.

I’m not as well informed as you and others on the financial stuff, but is it true that Barca still owe us money on previous transfers? Why would we sell a player to a club that doesn’t pay its bills?

42. Jack says:

When at his best, J Cole simply dominates matches, but he hasnt really been like that since 07/08.

He’s better than Nasri, whose to inconsistent and doesn’t do anything super special anywyay, and Arshavin’s a great player but never controls matches like Cole can.

I beleive he’s seriously underrated because of his injuries and the way he plays when he’s trying to get back into form.

not the bank peaches, but the government. The bank that fund Barcelona are a Savings Bank, and over here that is quite different to the High Street banks that we have in the UK, and they are offering over the odd rates to investors, never a good sign.

I know london lived over here some years ago, but things have changed dramatically and ALL savings banks are now regarded as high risk.

44. chary – thats a great read from the onlinegooner – I also remember feeling such pride when France won the World Cup in 1998 – thanks for putting it up

Rasp,

I believe we are still owed either 12 or 14 million for the henry and hleb deals.

That’s another thing that should be stopped.No downpayment and then pay off over 3 to 5 years.If a club can’t afford it then they shouldn’t get credit.

46. charybdis1966 says:

Me too Peachy, and after DB10’s wonder goal against the Argies – I felt like saying “Now that’s a typical Arsenal player for you!” And his reaction and celebration after the goal – I can still feel the adrenalin rushing up inside me now, as it did then. A moment of historical genius.

47. JSP says:

Rasp, I’m better than AA!!!! And I’m next to useless…..AA is useless!!

48. tommystout says:

morning all.
    enjoyed your post rasp (including the title!)
    dudulino credible?? i hope so, we could do with an insider on this site. Only one thing, he was mentioning mertsaker as the german, i’m convinced its Tasci. If its proved right and Kosk’y gets the number 6 shirt then you must get dudu to write for arsenalarsenal!

49. London says:

Morning Sharkey

Mayank and Rohan seem like nice chaps, they make their points and don’t get too upset about things. “A” seems to love the combativeness of it all and being as sharp as he is he appears happy to stay. QoS does some fine work as well, her wit is razor sharp. A concerted effort to undermine Arsenal bothers me, I take it personally in the same way as I would if a spud criticised Arsenal over and over again. Not being welcome there anymore, the final straw seeming to be my suggestion that there was no evidence that Fabregas wants to leave; as a consequence sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don’t.

JSP,

You’re welcome on the site, but I can’t take you seriously – you’d have scored 5 goals against Liverpool presumably?

AA was injured/exhausted and played out of position for a lot of last season

51. London says:

Rasp

Off course, I liked the title, I was just joshing. Having written “Russian Royal Family killed so that Arsenal could win the CL” I am well aware that I am not in a position to be judgmental lol

52. tommystout says:

as for formations, i am perplexed at how arsene is gonna play RVP and chamach and arshavin, so the thought of 3 CH’s would be too much for me to get my head round. 😉
    anyway we have every player level through the club playing the same way, so i cant see him changing that much.

53. dkgooner says:

@kelsey: Looks like we are back to The Provident Day cards (for those old enough to remember)

Haha – my Dad used to have a stack of Kensitas coupons (now where did I put them?). 😀

Hi London,

I know 😛 . I struggle with my conscience when it comes to titles. We’ve had some really great stuff on here (chary’s post last week in particular) that have not had the exposure they deserve due to a ‘worthy’ title.

Have you seen how many hits that article of yours still gets? People are obviously googling something to do with the Russian royal family and up comes your post.

55. SharkeySure says:

Yeah QoS……how on earth did I forget her. She’s an absolute legend.

She once did a post entitled – A day in the life of the ‘Other Site’. It was the stuff of Legend, as it basically ripped the piss out of those bloggers there with OCD’s. Ie those who post exactly the same thing every single day.

It was posted mid morning on 26th May if my memory serves me right.

56. London says:

All I am going to say on the matter of Barcelona’s solvency is that I view their pleas of poverty as a cynical ploy to pay less for Cesc.

57. London says:

I saw it Sharkey

One of the best things I have ever read on an Arsenal blog.

58. tommystout says:

who thinks melo swap for clichy would be a good deal?

59. London says:

Rasp

That’s funny, people seriously trying to research the Russian Royal Family ending up reading my nonsense.

60. London says:

Morning Tommy

Me

61. Jay-Jay says:

Melo for Clichy wouldn’t be a good idea.

Clichy is still a class player and we shouldn’t have to loose him just to get Melo when I don’t think his price to buy outright would be enormous.

Hi Tommy,

That would be a decent swap. Apart from Gibbs and Traore, TV and Kozzer can both double as left backs.

63. tommystout says:

and bothelo is coming now. so we are sorted for left backs.
    the only thing with melo is that he’ll bring a few red cards with him…. but we do need that fight, nastiness back!
    i used to love it when paddy saw red and the team would galvanise and we would know that we were still going to win with 10 men!

64. JSP says:

Rasp, All AA wants is a move to Barcelona. No commitment and totally overrated if you ask me!!

65. JSP says:

BTW I can’t take anything you write seriously if you think AA is good for the Arsenal team

66. dandan says:

Morning all. Great post Rasp,
    Kelsey there is a radio programme at 5.30 each morning that talks about money, this morning they said that not only are Barca in trouble but so are the bank that underwrites them and the TV company that is paying them millions to broadcast there matches,and there is no guarantee that they will be able to fulfill the deal.
    Platini eat your heart out.

Oh and should JSP be TCP at any rate he needs to wash his mouth out. Fine then don’t come visiting what is obviously, even to the thickest of posters a very popular site mainly because of the quality of the writing led by Rasp

67. Danish Gooner says:

You conveniently forget that sugardaddies owning clubs dont exactly need to balance the booksmthey can simply write of all their debt like Roman did,how can we compete with that.

68. 26may1989 says:

Agree with you Rasp, AFC is very well run on fincances. Less so on the PR and contract management post-Dein but Ivan’s improved that side of things. Even the Chavs are showing signs of reining in their spending. Only City are really left as big spenders, and you have to wonder where they’re going to be when the Platini Regs on balanced finances kick in around 2012/2013 – unless they find a clever way around the Regs, to qualify for European competition, they’ll either have to ditch loads of expensive stars or they’ll win the Premiership only to have to watch others compete in the CL.

On signings, am not convinced by Mertesacker – from what I’ve seen he’s pretty error prone. I’d still prefer one of Cahill, Hangeland, Chiellini and Jagielka, though the latter two are likely to be unavailable/too expensive. I also like the idea of getting de Jong now that City have overfilled their DM ranks, and perhaps using Song for mixture of DM and CB duties.

Much as I like Clichy, I certainly agree the time may be ripe to bring Gibbs in and use Clichy to trade up in one of our weak areas.

The next few weeks will certainly be important for us……

69. SharkeySure says:

Whats the date for the Russian Royal family post…??? I missed that one….

Well said re exosure Rasp. One weekend an absolutely briliant poost by Raddy had only 10 comments !!

70. I’ll find it for you sharkey

71. London – you are so sneaky, you’re already in there 😆

72. Naija Dude says:

Hi All,

I enjoy reading all your comments as Arsenal brethren, but don’t you guys think Chiellini is a bit overrrated? I have seen the guy several times and he seem to be a master of mis-timed tackles and always looks in danger of getting a red card anytime. I just thot I could throw this up and see what your reactions will be in view of ’26 May1989’s comments

73. Here it is sharkey

In fact February was a very good month so if you get a chance to have a browse I’m sure you’ll enjoy it

dandan, Wake up to Money is the programme, and you have just confirmed what I said earlier.

75. London says:

Peaches

That one went over my head…..already in where?

76. Bob says:

I totally agree with you. The club is going in the right direction. So what we have not yet one a trophy for 5 years? We just need to be patient. I would rather win the cup with the way Arsene runs things than buy the cup like chelsea did.

77. London says:

Naija Dude

Completely agree: Cheilini is overrated but we are so thin at the back I would take his sister right now.

78. London says:

Peaches

Why am I sneaky, I don’t understand? Where am I already?

79. London – i went to find the ‘Russian Royal Family’ post for Sharkey and it said you were editing so I assumed you’d gone to find it for him too – if not I apologise, it must just have you editing permanantly 🙂

80. This just made me laugh, last night Peggysue played a free gig for itunes at the Round House with Kate Nash and my very old 24 year old said ‘I’d forgotten how young the Kate Nash fans were but it was ok – getting down with the kids, they were really nice to us, very supportive’ 😆

Hi 26may,

I agree on the PR – it’s all a bit syrupy, bordering on insulting the intelligence. That’s just the kind of club we’ve become, but the core principles are spot on.

I think Metersacker is a better option than Hangeland, and I do believe we were interested in Hangeland.

82. 26may1989 says:

@ Naija: Chiellini is certainly not perfect but I still think he’s a decent bet and would strengthen our back line. His tackle that resulted in RvP’s injury last season was a masterful piece of timing: absolutely clean challenge that stopped a shot on goal. Just unfortunate for us that it meant no RvP for most of the season.

But it’s academic anyway, Chiellini’s very unlikely to want to leave Juve and we’re very unlikely to pay the +€20m it would probably take to get him.

Danish Gooner,

I didn’t ‘conveniently forget’ about the sugardaddies, they have been discussed many times on here and the conclusion is not only that we can’t compete, but that we shouldn’t try. Let the likes of man city waste millions on players like Robinho, he takes their money and treats them with the contempt they deserve.

84. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening all

Nederlands to win World Cup, with RVP scoring a brace. Wow isn’t Wesley Sneijder on a roll.

Have we signed anyone yet?

85. London says:

Peaches

I would like to edit it now as I have just noticed a really annoying typo…….but I wasn’t editing it earlier……just a misunderstanding, no harm done.

86. 26may1989 says:

Afternoon Rasp. I just hope Arsene doesn’t stop with signing Koscielny, even if Sol re-signs. That would leave us with a CB team of Vermaelen, Djourou, Koscielny, Sol and Nordtveit, which would still be too risky:

Djourou: One of our injury prone players, who knows what shape he’ll be in next season? Plus his positional sense looks distinctly wayward to me.

Koscielny and Nordtveit: Untried, just one season each in top level football (Ligue 1 and Bundesliga respectively).

Sol: Who knows when his body is going to collapse?

So I’d certainly take Mertesacker, who’s big, experienced and playing in a now successful national side, I just don’t know if he’s the best option on the market.

87. London says:

Hi gg

Do you believe that Holland will win the World Cup or is it a case that you would like them to?

88. dandan says:

Yes it was that programme. Kelsey I just didnt want to name it on the blog.

Afternoon 26m,

You are correct of course. I think the difference the ‘small warchest’ will make is that we can buy players in the £10-15m bracket where there is an obvious gap, and the right side of central defence is where the weakness lies.

90. dandan says:

Surely I cant be the only one who is excited by these players coming in, knowing how good Arsene is at finding gems.
    What the hell has the price got to do with it Barca just sold a player at 10 million quid loss, does that make him less a player or just a bargain for the purchaser.
    Why are we judging players before they wear the shirt. Maybe one of them is the next PV4

91. chippy says:

Rasp,
    Im not sure everyone wants big name signings at over inflated fees but it would be nice if the club gave themselves a fighting chance,

Lets take last January for example we didnt have a fit centre forward and that didnt look like changing anytime soon,
    So after gaining 40mill in the summers transfer dealings youd think they would give themselves half a chance by buying a forward (especially as this was a make or break period when you looked at the fixtures)

But no what do they do play a 5″ 4 midget up top on his own and then after getting thumped they decide to bring back a half fit Bendter,

Wenger even stated we were in the Market for a Forward at this juncture some of the clubs decisions over the last year or two have been Bizzare, Dont even get me started on the goalkeeping situation, The most vital part of any side and weve tried to get by with what we have ,

Id also add admitting to only concentrating on 2 competitions out of 4 is pretty much telling the fanbase that your squad isnt either big enough or strong enough for a full season, The only way that can be rectified is by more bodies of quality.

Hi chippy,

You’re right, the sensible ones like you, don’t want us to break the bank for glory signings. As I said in my last comment, hopefully the small warchest will allow us to plug the gaps, unlike, as you quite rightly point out, the last couple of years.

93. Great comment chippy – playing AA up front was a ridiculous decision IMHO, the club knew from November that we would be short ( 😳 no pun intended ) and yet stubbornly persisted without another striker.

I bet Thierry would have come for six months – have I mentioned that before 😳

There are sugar daddies and sugar daddies.what makes some think that ADUG want a return, these guys are wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan the main share owner apparently has many palaces, one of his palaces has 14 acres of lawns, those lawns are watered, the water is drawn from the sea, goes through a saline plant and is then sprayed on the lawns where it evaporates within 5 minutes hence the need to constantly water the grass, watering the grass alone costs approx £60k a week. Apparently he spends about 4 weeks a year at that palace, this guy blows £60k a week on watering grass at a palace he uses for 4 weeks, so £200k a week on Toure is nothing. He spent £91m on buying a 5% stake in Ferrari because he was “hoping” he could convince F1 to hold a Race in Abu Dhabi. The new FFP rules will mean he has to put in place a business plan or he risks City being excluded from Europe, but seriously these guys could spend £10bn’s on building SportsCity’s all over the world, all with City splattered all over them just so they could get City’s turnover upto the level needed to allow them to meet the revenue hurdles. There are no restrictions about owners investing in infra-structure and if all the sites are themed around City it’s classed as football related revenue, so expect to see City burger bars, City pizza palaces, City Casinos. Do I think it’s good for football, no I don’t, do I think that the money that has been in the game for last 18 years has been good for football, no I don’t, has the money in football been good for my club and many others,possibly, but do I recognise it has been very bad for other clubs – yes.

I hope we at Arsenal never ever follow this route, even if it only leaves a handful of clubs left in the PL.

dandan,

I’m excited! I think RvP has shown in this WC that he is not an out and out striker. His link-up play for Holland has been very good but his scoring opportunities have been limited because he seems to like to play deeper. If he can forge a partnership with Chamakh and AA, we will once again have a potent strike force.

96. chippy says:

Mate,
    Im not sure me and sensible fit in the same sentance im still paying for the excesses of the weekend 🙂

Yep im defo with you on that we have many many good players but we are just short in certain areas but those areas have been obvious for the past few seasons i just hope this season sees us finally fix them, Im still a bit worried tho as it seems more are going than coming, i just hope they are working on some deals under the radar !!

97. chippy says:

See all the short puns 🙂 That one wasnt intended !!

Peaches, Yes agree he would have been perfect for that period and it would also have given the Fans a lift before that big run of games,
    Id Basically have taken any fit centre forward would have been an improvement on what we had at the time, They didnt even need to buy anyone a loan deal would have done,

98. SharkeySure says:

Alright Chippy,

Have a quick read of London’s brilliant post about the Bolsheviks killing the Russians in respect of the 2 out of 4 competitions.

The link is above at 11:52

Some very good points made in there….

99. SharkeySure says:

London. That Bolshevik’s post was brilliant.

100. London says:

Hi Chippy

I wouldn’t want to get into a debate with you over the goal keeping situation because I share your frustration. But the striker thing at the time you were talking about is different to me.

In a nut shell, I believe that Wenger simply couldn’t find a striker available and certainly not one for only 40 mil. I still believe he tried and that was the reason he put out the message that he was in the market for a striker, if you were an agent of a striker that was looking for a move I suspect you would have taken notice of that. The secret hope of Wenger probably was that an agent of someone of David Villa’s ilk made themselves known. As it turned out they didn’t and we were left with having to play Arshavin as a centre forward.

Put simply, have you ever gone out shopping and not found what you wanted, forcing you to come home empty handed?………I have.

101. London says:

Very kind Sharkey.

102. chippy says:

Hi Sharkey, Hope all is well,
    Im just finishing my lunch so will have a read on my way home later,That London lad writes some good articles even if i dont agree with them all,
    Thanks for the heads up 🙂

Hey London,
    I couldnt dispute your take on the situation mine would be slightly different in that He would have known like the rest of the world that Chamakh was more than likely joining us in the summer meaning a new forward signing would be rendered irrelevant in only 6 months time so probably tried to snap one up on the cheap with a loan deal but when that didnt materialise he decided to make do with what we had,

Im not one for shopping trips 🙂

But if i go into a supermarket and they dont have my favourite washing powder but have a slighlty inferior one which will do the job i need it to do id happily buy that as in the long run it would give my clothes a better chance of looking and smelling nicer 😉

103. SharkeySure says:

Looks like a 1-1 draw on great analogies between London and Chippy.

I must admit I’m a ‘have to come home with something’ kinda guy….wifes not too hapy about that.

Lately I’ve brought home a busty brazilian, a fit skandi and a couple of strippers !!

104. chippy says:

Haha sounds like a Carlsberg weekend Sharkey 🙂

105. SharkeySure says:

Yeah Chippy, with a massive emphasis on the ‘If only’ bit !!

Shame that.

106. irishgunner says:

Afternoon all.

Just on the wishlist Rasp – right now I’d pick Schweinsteiger, what a player. I expect him to be MOTM tonight.

Hi irish,

Yes, I’m a big Schweinsteiger fan too. I hope he is MotM and the Germans get another four goals. I believe their Polish striker needs just one more goal to beat/break Ronaldo’s WC goalscoring record.

I have noticed we have received several visits from an FC Lorient site today (follow the link below) My french is not great but it appears that they are a very decent bunch of supporters who are sad to lose Kozzer but wish him all the best ….

109. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon Maire,

I’m with you there Raspers – I want Cesc to stay benched tonight and the Krauts to wipe the floor with Del Bosque’s lot.
    A 4-0 drubbing like they meted out to the Argies would go down nicely tonight just to se the look on those retard barc c**ts,; and I’m looking at you Pique, Xavi and Busquets!

110. irishgunner says:

Evening Rasp – Yep Klose just needs one to get level. And while he was born in Poland, he is of ethic German heritage. So one of those who was born in Poland but was always German. Good player, Klose.

Chary – you forgot Puyol….

111. charybdis1966 says:

Oh yes Maire, Puyol with his dumb 1970’s prog-rock/Michael Bolton hairstyle.
    Good call on Schweinstieger – I did read a rumour somewhere that we were after him inquite a big way.
    I’d much rather him then Ozil(who was virtually anonymous against the Argies)

112. irishgunner says:

Schweinsteiger over Ozil for me too – good age at 25, and he has become a midfield general, what we need. He defends and attacks.

“I hate Arsenal, I hate A. Wenger, and I do not like Mr. Chamakh but I still wish him good luck there”

” pissed you release the best defender in the club’s history after a short season. Another one who will find the France team jersey with another that our …

I do not blame the club to accept such a sum but hey, I do not see how we will be able to progress as fast, dropping our best player”

He must be good 😀

OK irish, your french translation is better than mine 😉 perhaps they weren’t so generous in their comments – still, it sounds like he’s quite a find.

114. irishgunner says:

Google Translate Rasp 😉

It is unusual for a supporter to describe a CB as “our best player”, that accolade is usually saved for strikers/midfielders

116. irishgunner says:

Yep, but having a season like Vermaelen did for us puts the defenders right up there, even if one ships a lot of goals.

117. London says:

Rasp

Did you see the name check AA got on their site. It seems like they already had a name for him “Kos”.

À la suite de ce billet du site “Arsenal Arsenal”, deux personnes témoignent avoir vu Kos’ à l’entrainement avec la Réserve d’Arsenal.
    Parmi ces commentaires, on lit un nouveau surnom pour Kos’ : Kozzer.
    Autre information : Il pourrait bien porter le numéro 6.
    Son transfert sera officialisé au retour d’Arsène Wenger.

Good research London – we’ve gone global 😆

119. London says:

In the context above, does anyone know what “ce billet” means?

120. irishgunner says:

Its official – on the arsenal.com website

121. irishgunner says:

Billet – is a ticket, so I think “the ticket”

Actually London,

Since you’re multi-lingual, had you considered leaving a comment on their site? – something to the effect that we’re sorry they’re losing a great player but his talents will be much appreciated at the Emirates 😛

123. irishgunner says:

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of defender Laurent Koscielny from French Ligue 1 side Lorient on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Twenty-four year-old Koscielny, who is predominantly a central defender, made 40 appearances in all competitions during his season with Lorient in the 2009/2010 campaign.

Before joining the north-west French club Lorient in 2009, Koscielny also played for En Avant Guingcamp and Tours in France, where in 2009 he was voted Best Player in Ligue 2 for the 2008/2009 season by his fellow professionals – the UNFP (National Union of Professional Footballers in France).

Although born in France, uncapped Koscielny, who helped Lorient to seventh place in the French league championship last season, would also qualify to represent the Poland national team as a result of his family roots.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Koscielny is a central defender with great ability who performed extremely well last season for Lorient. We identified him as a very strong centre half, who has made big progress very quickly. He has shown he is mentally strong, he’s a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad.”

New Arsenal player Koscielny said: “I’m very excited to be joining Arsenal. They are one of the biggest teams in Europe with many great players. I’m really looking forward to playing in the English Premier League and the Champions League with my new club. Also, in Arsène Wenger, Arsenal has one of the best managers in the world and I can’t wait to work with him and do my best for the Arsenal supporters.”

Koscielny, who will wear the number 6 shirt, is scheduled to make his first appearance at Emirates Stadium over the weekend of Friday 31st July and Saturday 1st August, when Arsenal compete with AC Milan, Celtic and Olympique Lyonnais for the Emirates Cup 2010. For further information, click here.

124. irishgunner says:

Okay maybe its doesn’t mean “the ticket” in the above context. I should have listened more in French class…

125. irishgunner says:

” Transfer details:Long-term contract for an undisclosed fee” 😆 quelle surprise!!!

126. London says:

So, Dudulinho’s credibility is sky high, he also said we were going to sign Mertesacker, it’s double or nothing Dudu, good luck.

127. irishgunner says:

Seriously….

Geoff said on Le Grove yesterday that Koscielny would get the number 6 and young guns had it up on their blog that he was training with the youth team and first teamers back at training – I wouldn’t call a rehash, credible.

Now if we sign Mertesacker I will change my view and apologise but until then he is only repeating what other blogs have reported. Now if he came HERE before the blogs had posted it would be a different story.

128. London says:

Irish

There was a subtle difference: Dudulinho said he saw Koscielny personally training and being the polite blog that we are we gave him the benifit of the doubt.

Young guns had the story 24 hours before Le Grove rehashed it.

129. London says:

Irish, Rasp

You are going to love this one: how do you say “This blog” in French?

130. London says:

“Ce billet”

131. irishgunner says:

I’m just a massive cynic London 😉 I am willing to go along with Mertesacker signing though – but would AW fork out £10mil on Koscielny for him to be a bench player?

Cette blog????

132. irishgunner says:

Oh right, scrap the end of my last reply 😀

133. irishgunner says:

Must be off – catch ye tomorrow.

Enjoy the game tonight – hope its a good game at the very least.

Priceless London,

Shame the Germans are without Müller tonight, he’s some player and will be a big loss. I shall be watchinmg Mertesacker closely

What happened to hangeland 😉

I think the meaning is he’s the dogs b******s. (Just the ticket)

You have to read that barca haven’t payed their players wages last month,the whole story is on the BBC football website. It is madness.

137. London says:

I think we will really get to see what Mertesacker is all about tonight. By watching how he copes with the super quick skills of Spain’s diminutive players (dwarves) we will know all we need to.

138. London says:

Hi Kelsey

I have just read that……I might have to change my mind about Barcelona’s solvency. The place to find out exactly what this is all about is in Marca (Real’s mouth piece) they will be taking the piss out of the Catalans something rotten.

torres dropped to the bench.(official)

it’s alright, i am used to being ignored.

Ah, evening London.

141. London says:

So, Cesc will be playing.

142. London says:

Are you still having a 40 degree heatwave down there?

yes we do, and the humidity is the real killer.

That article has been repeated on a number of web sites about Barca. it just doesn’t make sense the more you read it.

145. London says:

I have just read that it is Pedro for Torres, no Cesc unless Alonso is injured.

Spanish pundit Guillem Balague on BBC Radio 5 Live:

“Fernando Torres will be on the bench for Spain tonight and Pedro will start.”

Also cofirmed on skysports. maybe the little shoulder injury cesc picked up is still bothering him, at least to play 90 or a possible 120 minutes.

147. London says:

I like Spain, the country, too much not to want them to win and against the Germans of all people it is not a difficult decision; that said, I think the Germans will win and go on to beat Holland.

148. London says:

Kelsey

That article concludes with Rosell’s calculations that they have 78 milion to spend on transfers…….hardly broke then?

London,

I agree hardly broke but why haven’t they paid their players wages.

I have to be behind Spain, not for the obvious reasons that you may think, but because for very personal reasons I could never support the Germans.

150. dandan says:

Real cat and mouse stuff, but spain like us need some height up front. Still wouldnt like to call it but think germany are just ahead

151. dandan says:

Great second half Spain worthy winners.

152. SharkeySure says:

Poor Germans. Undone by a set piece, bloody zonal marking!

C’mon Holland!

I have developed a deep dislike for Spainish football (not the country) so I am with you SS, I really hope Holland teach them some humility on Sunday.

154. […] Arsenal Sign £30m Star – should have gone to Speculation Savers! Not much has changed since I last tried to reign in the excesses of those supporters who denigrate our club because we […] […]

155. Ronan K says:

Really good read. This blog os very cool. I don’t agree about Torres though. I think he is poor. I think he always has been poor. He’s like Gerrard, when it comes off it’s great but he has nothing when he’s not 100%.
    He can’t come back and play football like RVP can. I’ll stick with Robin ta very much.

156. GhostFace says:

Good Post Rasp

You make youre arguments and state them clearly.

I dont understand this myth that if we spend 30m on a player we will all of a sudden be on the verge of instability. That is just absolutely ridiculous. Nobody is saying we should make a habbit of it. But Seeing as Arsenal form a habbit of buying players 1 or 2 at a time during a tranfer window then 1 or 2 30m long term quality signings will improve us far better than the basement signings of Silvestre.

Still you make youre points but Cant agree with it.

First it was we are saving so we can have the power to spend like the big clubs now that we do have cash we are ahead of the pack and the big clubs would have to spend like us.

Thats never going to happn.

157. GhostFace says:

All the money in the World and we buy a nobody who’s played most of his football in the 2nd tier of french football.

And just how many clubs would be looking to copy that sort of blue print for success?

Because it is a successful blue print right?

158. Leon says:

I definitely agree that a club should live within it’s means – a fact born out with Barcelona having to take out a loan to pay their player wages. It is a compliment to Arsenal that you have clubs claiming they want to follow the Arsenal way – we have money to buy a 30 million player but that guarantees nothing – just look at Berbatov, Aquilani, Santa Cruz, Adebayor and Lescott to show you that.

159. Gordon says:

That was a super read.

160. ktexs says:

ok great idea aersenal sinig two pleyers
    but now go to the store buy this name

plz.
    thomas miuller
    merter sooker
    ozill

161. terry says:

if i had an oppourtunity i would sell denielson, diaby, traore and send eddy on loan….

would get MELO after the world cup would not cost more than 10-12m,

SESSEGAN(hard working player can play attacking mid or def mid)- apparently he wants to leave france….

HANGERLAND- would not be very expensive as he is 29 yrs , tall, strong, amazing in the air, good tackler, leader….. we could give him a 3yr deal and by then bartlety would be ready to step into the first team….

what do u think?????

162. anyik francis says:

the signing of laurient is very good. wenger should go for a better keeper now and the EPL title will be ours

163. London says:

What is going on this morning, has someone given this site’s web address to a mental hospital or a spud site?

164. I moved that unsavoury comment to the spam box London if thats what you’re referring to 😦

165. London – did you put a comment on the FC Lorient site?

166. London says:

Ghost Face

You should know better by now. Let’s go through some of the nobodies that Wenger has bought. Vermaelen, Sagna, Eduardo, Ramsey, Anelka, Henry oh and I think there was a player from Senegal….can’t remembers his name though he was playing for a second division French club two seasons before he joined us. The point is you do not even have a clue how good Koscielny is and yet you are slagging off the club you claim to support for buying him. You are exactly the kind of person that would have said if we had bought either Odzil, Muller or Freidrich before the world cup that Arsenal were showing no ambition. If Odzil had played for his country “Turkey” we would have all still been in the dark about him so did it ever cross your mind that it might just be possible that both Chamakh and Koscielny are both equally capable of making just as big an impression on the world stage if they had taken up German nationality?

Morning London,

The post received another 2,000 hits overnight and that brought in some new bloggers from overseas, with ‘interesting views’

168. London says:

Peaches

Not me on the Lorient site.

169. London says:

Morning Rasp

Just when you think you understand how a blog works things like that happen to throw you back into confussion. Those silly comments don’t really bother me they are quite good sport really.

Yes London,

I get the impression that to some imbeciles, blogging is like ‘knock down charlie’, they put on a stupid or insulting remark and then go and hide behind a bush to see what reaction they get.

171. shedzy says:

1) Mertesacker – there is a reason why his name sounds like a french-german interpretation of ‘sack of shit’ – if we sign him, he will be our new stepanovs/cygan, which doesnt make me feel comfortable as we’ll probably sign him; no idea why tacsi isn’t in south africa given that Per is poor

2) Melo for Clichy???? – i’d rather sign Joey Barton. Or Steve Morrow. Or Gus Caesar.

3) Barca not having any money, and yet being able to spend what they want – well, come on las, we’ve known this for a long time; Platini wants clubs to ‘live wihin their means’ if they are NOT from Spain or italy, and if they are, he doesnt care…..

172. charybdis1966 says:

Shedzy – bangon re. your point 3) Platinin is so obsessed witrh his personal agenda all reason and logic goes out of the window when it comes to consistency and fairness.

shedzy,

Point 3 is spot on, the other 2 are a matter of opinion. Mertesacker didn’t look great last night but he has put in some impressive performances and Melo would definitely add some steel to our midfield.

174. London says:

I didn’t think Mertescaker was that bad last night, I made a point of taking notice every time he touched the ball and the thing that impressed me the most was how inteligently he cleared or played the ball out…..every single pass found its man.

New post……

176. clockendjim says:

I watched Djourou play the defensive midfield role in the reserves when he was making his comeback after injury and he looked very comfortable there. He says that is his preferred position and I think he could do the same job as Alex Song, maybe even better. It’s worth a try, but does mean we really need to sign another CB and I think Mertesacker is just the monster we have been lacking in defence – just try to bully him about Bolton, Blackburn etc.
    Just got to emphasise that all this will be a waste of time if we do not sign a world class goalkeeper. Schwarzer would be short-term but do the job nicely for 2/3 years.

177. Yann says:

@Rasp, @Irish, @London
    Hi,

I’m the guy who linked AA from fclorient.net forum.

About “billet”, London get close to it. In a blog context, it’s synonymous of “article” or “post”. 😉

About Laurent Koscielny, I remind you some key figures (2009/2010 “Ligue 1” season) :
    Matches played : 35 ; Starts : 35 ; Minutes played 3115′ ;
    Shots : 9 ; Shots on goal : 5 ; Goals : 3 ;
    Assists : 0 ;
    Fouls committed : 39 ; Fouls against him : 32
    Yellow card : 3 ; Red Card : 0 (1 during cup after a controversial foul committed against Chamack)
    Average Per Match :
    Played Balls: 36
    Earned Balls : 18.5 (#1 amongst all french league players that season)
    Lost Balls : 10
    Passes : 28 ; Achieved passes : 22
    (source : Official stats downloadable at http://www.lfp.fr/ligue1/lireArticle.asp?idArticle=16534 )

About his nickname : IMO french are less creative than brits. Commonly we just shorten name if it sounds good. Thus, we nicknamed him Kos’
    I read here that some of you use “Kozzer”. Is there a special reason for such a nickname ?

Lorient’s fans mostly share the analysis published by Bleacher Report
    Sure, Lorient’s fan are sad to see him leave. He was almost their favorite player (#1 is kevin Gameiro, second best striker of french league). On the other hand, we are proud he joins a team such as Arsenal.

178. Damian says:

Wenger has had no money 15M a year last 5 and as he has said with that budged he could not win but he could hold us top 4 last 16+ CL this is the first year he has had any money and the most needed situation is the back & a GK anyone that doubts this just think if we had any money would of Wenger brought in Silvestre on a free

179. elliptical trainers…

Arsenal Sign £30m Star – should have gone to Speculation Savers! « Arsenal Arsenal…