WHO DOES YOUR SON SUPPORT?

In my last post, I let it be known that I was that most that unlikely of things a Gooner residing in a spud household. How did that happen? Well, bloody mindedness and if the truth is told, the love of a good argument, combined to lead me down the path to salvation. I was a Walthamstow boy – you would have thought a natural spud. The back page of the Daily Express had a leader writer named Desmond Hackett, who threatened to eat his hat (a brown bowler I believe) if the Arsenal should win a certain game? This they duly did.

Whether or not he kept his promise I know not, but the very thought of such a hilarious conclusion was enough to put a then 7 year old reprobate at odds with his family and on the road to Highbury, if not quite ruin.

Later I was to learn this was a routine expression of Hackett’s. At a time when sports reporters had tremendous influence over huge circulations their utterances were perceived by a far more innocent readership to be based on some kind of knowledge and truth. Oh that we could dare to think that today

The upshot of this deviation from the collective family wisdom was not viewed as it might have been by some, as treason, but rather that the boy had a mind of his own which should be encouraged and challenged. Thus began many happy years of verbal jousting. But more than that, it helped lay down the vocal skills which were to prove such a boon through my business life.

Eventually I had two sons of my own, one born in Manchester and the other near Liverpool. Thinking back to the benefits of my defections from the family cause, I decided that they should do the same. Thus one was encouraged to support City and the other Liverpool and still do today.

Saturday evenings and Sunday breakfast times in the years before Sky became a war zone, when all the matches were played at 3 o’clock on Saturdays. But the kids quickly learnt to hold their end up, when dealing with me and one another. Consequently the verbal attacks of opposition fans among their school friends proved no problem.

These days, as I have all the football channels, we still congregate here and watch our own local derbies and the emails and texts in between are still as sharp and pointed as ever they were.

In fact my youngest the Liverpool fan said this weekend, bugger, if you lot win the league and city come fourth I am turning my phone off and not coming round again

So my question to you all is. Who do your offspring support and why, and if it different to you, do you care?

By our  Guest Writer dandan

108 Responses to WHO DOES YOUR SON SUPPORT?

1. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all.
    Well Dandan, I exerted my fatherly position to insist both my boys are gooners, proud and true.
    Any other team was not an option. I’m also trying to convert my nephews to the true path of the blessed red & white, not easy when 2 of them have mank glory hunter from New Zealand as a dad.

2. Rasputin says:

Morning chary, dandan et al…..

My 3 kids are all gooners (my daughter is almost as obsessed as I am). I think the answer lies in ‘conditioning’. If your kids have it in them to be football supporters (a sad affliction), then whichever team they go to see first will generally be their’s for life – so I whisked mine down to Highbury at an early age and remember having to hold them up through most of the game so they could see the action.

3. charybdis1966 says:

Morning Raspers – I was lucky in that when my boys were little I was able to get tickets(at face value I hasten to add) for Highbury because I worked with Justin/Gavin Hoyte’s old man. They were excited that I could go to games(plus TH14 was a big pull on any youngster looking at a team to support)at that and couldn’t wait till their first game – it was a CL qualifier, against Dinamo Zagreb, I believe the 3rd ever game at the Grove. They were pretty keen gooners before that game but by then red and white ran through their veins.

4. Rasputin says:

Sad for David Beckham, it makes Theo’s place in the WC more assured. I personally think it would be good for Theo to go, unless, of course, he get’s injured…..

5. Rasputin says:

Hi chary,

Sadly I’m not as well connected as you. The silly thing is, although my kids are all staunch gooners, I argue with them more about Arsenal than anything else. The door slamming that took place every time the subject of selling Lazybayor was raised measured 7 on the richter scale … obviously I was the one that wanted rid of the slimeball….

6. Steve Hayes says:

Am all also in Walthamstow though my route to being a gooner even more obscure! As a 6 yr old boy I asked my old man the innnocent question ” Daddy why are there no teams from London?” I lived in Morecambe in Lancashire! Dad explained about all the teams however said the word “gunners” that intrigued that little boy who was into pirates so in 1970 another gooner was adopted. My son (22) lives in Carlisle also a gooner there, a lonely choice that it is. To cut a long story short have lived in Walthamstow over ten years but my 3 young daughters now are all goonered up!

7. Rasputin says:

Welcome Steve, and congratulations on enlisting another 3 to the ‘Red Army’ – we’ll stop nothing short of world domination!

8. Rasputin is right that it’s conditioning. I had my 3 and 2 year olds saying Arsenal (or Ah-null) as one of their first words and one of the first things they could recognize was the crest. My 3 year old has 4 kits including this year’s full home strip and changes into them almost everyday when he gets home from school and dribbles back and forth throughout the house. His room has Arsenal sheets, curtains, a lamp, a rug, etc… but only because he’s begged me for his “Arsenal room” for almost a year. My 2 year old is just starting to come around. The kid is almost as maniacal as I am… AND I LOVE IT!!! But then again, I should… I created it. I just COULD NOT take the chance that one of my boys would end up supporting United, Spurs, or Chelsea… 😉

9. London says:

Morning All

Another great read DanDan

I have two sons 12 and 15 and remember many years ago the subject of them being gay came up, it was not a topic that was often discussed between me and Mrs London but with two boys and the real possibility, percentage wise, that one could turn out to be that way inclined it made its way into the conversation one evening. I think I surprised her by saying that if one or both were gay I would be a proud father and go on the gay pride marches with them, however, I made it clear then and there that if they were going to like a football team there is only one choice and supporting spuds would lead to banishment. One of the simplest things that gives me the greatest pleasure in life is being able to use the pronoun “WE” when I refer to our chances of winning the league this season 😉

10. will says:

unfortunately my 7 year old son is a man utd fan , this is probably due to the fact 90 percent of his class mates are so im putting it down to pier pressure .

11. sig says:

A few years ago I took my daughter (2 and a half at the time) to a training session at Highbury the summer that Viera left.
    A boy sitting to the left of us asked “mum… where’s Patrick?” – my daughter who was a very early talker leant over and said “Patrick’s gone to Juventus”

I have to say I was quite shocked to hear this myself… slightly proud but quite ashamed also.

I’ve tried to curb my obsessive Arsenal talk since then… and although my son (who is now 3) thinks whenever I go off to the Emirates it’s to play for Arsenal, I generally put him straight that I’m only watching this week.

12. charybdis1966 says:

I’ve changed jobs since then Raspers and am now working in a spud dominated department, but hey ho.
    I grew up in a rough part of Essex where you either supported West Ham or Arsenal and when some of the other boys in my class asked me who my team was I said I didn’t know and asked who the choice was. Oddly enough, being a veggy from birth, I thought my older sister wouldn’t approve of me supporting a team with “ham” in the name so the gooners it was, plus they were the choice of the majority in my class.

13. Rasputin says:

Hi AS,

You’re right, it’s actually our duty to have as many kids as possible to swell the ranks. I think the loo’s at the Emirates should sell red contraceptives that allow only gooner genes to pass through.

14. Rasputin says:

Hi sig,

I took my daughter to Highbury when she was about 5 and like you, I was a mixture of proud and embarrassed when she joined in with ‘the referee’s a wanker’, I consoled myself by the fact that she didn’t know what a wanker was……. she now knows it’s a collective noun for anyone who supports totnum.

I’m ashamed to say my son – 19 – is a manc, he was at an impressionable age in 1999 and unfortunately his Primary School teacher was also a manc and managed to recruit most of her class.

Hes very well read on all things Arsenal and I reckon hes a closet gooner. I’ve taken him to the Emirates a couple of times and hes done a very good job of appearing to be a well informed one of us.

I have 4 kids, 3 boys and a one girl.My daughter is Arsenal through and through but being in Madrid last year became a short term Atletico Madrid fan due to her meeting a few of the players at various night clubs ;).my youngest son is passionate about Arsenal. my eldest became a Spurs fan because i divorced his mother(who i actually met at highbury) and my eldest has no love for football what so ever.

All my dogs have arsenal coats and little scarves though they rarely wear them in this heat.

17. charybdis1966 says:

You have my deepest sympathies Peachy, I couldn’t bear the thought of any of my offspring having anything to do with that reprobate rabble from Old Toilet.

18. Rasputin says:

will, I think you and peaches need to submit your kids to the Priory for rehab 😉

19. London says:

Morning Peaches

Teachers like that should be reported to social services. I’m serious, they are a menace, there should be a list of teachers working in London who support manu, name and shame them, I say.

20. BigZee says:

My dad starting supporting Arsenal because of billy wright, he brought my two sisters and i up as gooners, taking us to games when ever he could. My eldest sister eduacated her husband to be a gooner, as did my youngest sister eduacate her now husband. They both have girls who are also both gooners. My Mum is a gooner, educated by my father. Me, well I have two sons both taken to highbury aged 5 for thier first games then sat down an told, you can support anybody you like but you’ll have to fund that yourself, Arsenal and i will help you all the way. Needless to say they are both gooners through and through. As for my wife, well you cant educate she made her own mind up and now becasue of her two boys, she supports arsenal. We have 4 home season tickets, 3 away season tickets, numerous silver memberships and of course, 4 junior gunners. Its Family you turncoat. But hey, good on you for choosing the right life. ARSENAL

Actually you see far more women,ladiesor whatever the apt description is at games these days than you did some 30+ years ago.Maybe Sky and generally more telivised matches has attracted them, though I think some look at a players looks rather than ability 🙂

22. charybdis1966 says:

In that case Kelsey, I can’t understand why Man Shitty don’t have more women supporters when their ranks are full of players with film star looks such as Tevez, Lescott, Kompany, Ireland etc..

Can you imagine if Rooney played for a glamorous side like arsenal and had a complete makeover he would be very marketable. mind you it would have to be an extreme makeover.

nice one chary.

25. charybdis1966 says:

No Kelsy – he’d need plastic surgery. And probably head amputation.

26. 😳 kelsey, how could you say that 😳

My best story is how I became a gooner amongst a family of spuds. My grandparents lived in South Tottenham and my uncle and cousins are spuds. As a very young girl I lived in Stoke Newington and then we moved to Southgate in north London.

I arrived at my new Primary School aged 6 and was given to a little boy to be looked after. On the 2nd day he asked me if I was a Spurs or Arsenal supporter and I knew my uncle was spurs so to be different I said Arsenal – he gave me a kiss and said thats the right team. I told my mum who said I had to find out why it was important.

The next day I asked him why and he told me his dad played for Arsenal. His dad was Dennis Evans who had captained the Gunners in the late ’50’s.

27. Rasputin says:

Hi BigZee,

Billy Wright used to come into my business with Joy Beverley, he was a true gent. I think you take the prize so far for ‘most arsenalized family’

28. Rasputin says:

I take on board the RooneysnotGeorgeClooney banter, but if he played for us we’d be 10 points clear at the top of the prem by now.

29. Gooner247 says:

My little man supports the Arsenal although he’s only turned 1 i’m sure he’ll follow the right path, just contemplating whether or not to bring him to fulham last game of the season, where he might have the chance to whitness our first trophey in 5 yrs

30. dandy says:

well i have a 15 year old his chelsea y because of a playstation the boy was a gunner took him to new york started playin the game on playstation n saw chelsea is phyiscal n tha how he started to support them

31. tommystout says:

Hey everybody!
    When I was a young un I lacked a little guidance with footy teams as my dad was solely into pigeons and horse racing, what’s a lad to do. As a Yorkshire man it’s a little odd to be an arsenal fan and that developed from watching my first game of footy round at a mate’s house as a 10 year old. He was supporting Utd so I opposed with my support for the other team playing in yellow. It was the 79 cup final, from that day I couldn’t escape the clutches of gooneritus!
    I won’t let my boy’s affliction with football support be left to the gods and some random day! My 2 lads are 2 and 5, a little young but they’ve done the arsenal romper and all that, I tried to get them involved in TV matches but I know the big hook is gonna be their first emirates trip with Dad, till then I’ll keep bribing them.
    Anyway Collymore has riled me today with his sudden support for Bendtner and berating arsenal fans for not getting behind him. Huh…. Where’s this come from? I thought the majority thought of him as a good player with room to develop and one for the future. If anything it was the media who got on Bendtner’s back questioning his suitability to wear an arsenal shirt. If Collymore wants to defend super Nik he should question his muppet side kicks!

32. Rasputin says:

Hi Gooner247,

That Fulham game sold out very quickly … I think we’re all hoping the same thing. I reckon it will come down to the wire. It could be one of those games where we’re all wearing headphones because our fate could be determined by games being played elsewhere. The biggest roar could be when chelsea concede in the 90th minute and we win the title.

33. Gooner247 says:

I know it sold out, luckily I’ve got my tickets sorted

34. Livers says:

Morning all… did Phil Brown get sacked?

35. Rasputin says:

Morning Livers,

I’ve just read the report, but can’t verify it as true.

36. well i have 3 daughters and a son, and all of them just love gunners, my son never misses any of the games and in the evening he would tell to his sisters, i was surprised of the knowledge they have about gunners, they all are gunners for life and hope they family one day will be. i am a proud gunner father to the bone

37. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers, the BBC have confirmed Tango has been put on gardening leave, so yes it does seem the curse of the manager who crosses Wenger continues – Brown, Hughes, Pardew.

38. Rasputin says:

Rightly so nasser, thank you for your comment.

39. Rasputin says:

Couldn’t happen to a nicer chap chary 😛

40. It’s all down to my dad. Allegedly my first game was Tony Adams’s comeback for the reserves after his spell in prison. I went to a few games after that but the first I vividly remember is his first testimonial at Highbury. That same season my Dad got me a season ticket and I’ve been going to every game ever since.

As for any potential children of mine. If they were stupid enough to even consider supporting another club especially the spuds, chavs or manure they’d get it beaten out of them and be forced to watch video after video of the 49 run!

41. dandan says:

Smiles and wonders, Did the womens institute sort out the Hull chairmans wife,

42. dandan says:

Thanks for your many responses, as a matter interest my two sons both have lads under two and there is no doubt that they will be brainwashed to follow their dads team, seems I failed as a dad somewhere

43. Rasputin says:

Hi dandan,

Thanks for the excellent post – it’s attracted responses from some great new bloggers.

Not many will mourn the loss of Phil Brown to the premiership.

44. Rasputin says:

Nicely understated RRnR 😆

Another excellent day in gotham city… sun is shining, arsenal press on for the title… phil brown tin-tacked.

46. Livers says:

Ok, I don’t have kids at present but will say my Dad tried to take me Millwall as a kid which I do remember…. waterlogged pitch in a 1-0 win v Carlisle in 79….

Thankfully, my Uncle from my Mothers side got win and took me to Arsenal…..the rest is history thank god 🙂

47. London says:

Southgate Royalty anyone?

48. Rasputin says:

I used to go to the Royalty and the Totnum Royal on occassion. The Nightingale on Green Lanes was good for bands as was the Brecknock.

49. charybdis1966 says:

I was going to reply “No, Thurrock riff-raff” to your 12.15, London. Good job I didn’t.

Neill Warnock for the Hull job, christ he has already had a week at QPR

I was reading a referee saying it was illegal that the lines from the Rugby league game had not been removed before our game with Hull, can anyone confirm that or

did they think Ade still played for us and they were kept to guide him on the offside rule 🙂

52. Brigham says:

My father was a Blackpool fan, which is no surprise as that is where he was from. My mum and gran lived in north London and of course I chose Arsenal as my team way back in the late 60’s.

My wife is a gooner as is my only son. One of my three daughters is a Spud, no idea why, but she obviously gets plenty of stick from the rest of the family.

Great subject DanDan and very well written post.

I became a Gooner for the same reason – I am a contrary bugger and have always supported the underdog.

My Dad was a Spud and took me to many of the games in their double season. I found the Spud mentality very difficult, all that gloating and pride. Whereas my Uncle took to to a night game at Highbury v Stoke, who had Stanley Matthews playing in his final season – I think he about 45 at the time – which makes a mockery of Weger’s one year policy over 30 !! The general level of desperation and lack of hope was central to my persona at the time, and I became a Gooner for Life 🙂 Hallelujuah

54. dandan says:

I think Raddy you and I have much in common.

oh by the way, nice idea for a post dandan, as I said the other day nostalgia, memories etc.

56. Rasputin says:

Hi kelsey – further fuel for your speculation regarding Gallas’ ‘injury’ ……

……Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted last week that he is unsure if William Gallas was talking with other clubs amidst reports that the 32 year old met with Roma officials last week. Gallas, who is currently on the sidelines with a calf strain, is out of contract in June, and with less than 6 months remaining on his current deal with Arsenal, is free to talk to other clubs. Wenger admitted, “William is free to speak to other clubs but this information is difficult to check as to whether or not it’s true.”

The question is, whilst the former Arsenal captain has had an excellent season in North London, is Wenger right to stick to his principles apropos contract extensions for players over 30? To recruit a player of Gallas’ quality would cost millions in transfer fees and wages, and so arguably it would be cheaper and more beneficial to the team if Gallas was given the contract he wanted. However, Wenger could take the opportunity to revamp Arsenal’s defence, with a younger, less injury prone player this summer.

Hi rasp.

I hate to be right. Wenger should tie him down now on a two year deal,or if not have a ready experienced player waiting in the wings to be signed.

58. i think the Sakho rumours will start again this summer… would love to see him sign for us.

59. dvotee says:

I have 3 children. All 3 of them are Arsenal through and through (much to my liking of course)

The 2 youngest are with my current girlfriend and her family is Tottenham so it’s great banter when we get together, for instance grandad will take my sons scarf off him, throw it on the floor and stamp on it so he ends up having a fight with gramps.

It’s all in good fun.

I would like to add that them all being ‘gooners’ was nothing to do with me, in no way did I lead any of them and it was their own decision 😉 ahermmmm

60. Rasputin says:

Top man dvotee, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of gentle parental coersion!

61. Rasputin says:

Hi SH,

How much do you think Sakho would cost? Presumably manure will also be in the market for a top class defender.

62. Franchise says:

I have no kids

this is unfair

bye!!

63. Rasputin says:

Do you want instruction on how to go about it Franchise? 😉

64. Franchise says:

I do Rasp I need a host

Perhaps the Chavs as well. Carvalho is getting on a bit (same age as WG) and they have only Alex as sub. (and what a sub!).

Good CB’s are easier to find than CF’s IMO. I would look at Dawson – and ask Sol to have a word 🙂 Seriously, at 26 he is the perfect age.

66. Franchise says:

i would get a sense of satisfaction and achievement if i know i won the battle for which team my son supports over the mother that carried him for 9 months and breast fed him for however long i permitted 8)

67. Rasputin says:

😆 Franchise

68. we are looking at circa 10M for sakho

he will be a beast, has the air of a prime lillian thuram about him.

69. dawson, br?

the one at the spuds? or the one at hull?

both are sub-standard imo.

Poor Fran. I have told you …. you would be a babe magnet over here, and I can assure you summer here is a veritable smørgasbord of feminine delight (God , i sound like Our Friend InThailand!)

My Spud mates rave about Dawson. They say he is an essential part of the reason they are in 4th. Him and Modric.

72. Rasputin says:

If we paid £13m for TV we should be prepared to fork out £10m for Sakho, but I wouldn’t mind betting that the boss will feel he needs to sell a player or two to balance the books.

73. Franchise says:

Raddy I like the sound of babe and magnet 😀 ill think about it for a while

74. Franchise says:

ok im coming over

75. sizing europe in to 9/2 now

hope some took the 7’s a couple of weeks back.

2.05 tommorow, chelters.

😉

76. London says:

P&R

Do you have a post yet for tomorrow? If not I have something that may work.

I have put one in London, but it is not time sensitive and could be used at anytime.

That I did SH.

Let’s hope I owe you a Peroni, seeing as we are quits!

78. London says:

Nice one BR

It sounds like they are not desperate and so I will work on mine a bit longer.

I am really saddened by the Beckham news. Others may say that he is totally egocentric, but to me his application and desire to represent his country is fantastic.

If anyone should have been England Captain for the WC, it should be Becks. A far better role model than Terry, Gerrard, Rio or Lamps.

80. dandan says:

Well said Raddy, personally I think he is a great roll model for kids

However, today’s other news filled me with glee.

Despite being offended by the ease that Manager’s are sacked, Tangoman has had it coming. There is no need for his vitriol in the PL, we have Allardyce for that. What with him and Sparky gone, the League is a better place.

82. London says:

I don’t like Becham at all, Londoners supporting manu just doesn’t sit well with me but what I do find ridiculous is the criticism he receives for trying to manage his career in a professional manner, am I the only one who remembers George Best and how he wasted his golden opportunity.

83. dandan says:

No London you are not. I will make a little bet with you, when Becks retires he will get a knighthood

So do I Dandan. He proves that hard work pays. Perhaps not the greatest footballer in terms of skill but who can forget the freekick v Greece.

Just for that he deserves his place in history.

Closer to home Charlie Nicholas. I remember his first game at Highbury and all the hype – booze, coke and birds finished him.

But …… 🙂

87. Hi all

Thanks Raddy for doing a post. London you can work on yours for another day 🙂

I don’t understand football supporters not accepting Beckhams work-rate and what he brings to a team. No-one has managed to hone a talent for dead-ball situations like him. He could still creat a goal scoring opportunity coming on for 20 minutes – no-one else can.

88. chaf says:

Another good post dandan. You’re getting prolific.

I have one son and he had no chance. I married into a family of Spuds, and it was the day after Anfield in 1989. Reception at Martin Chivers Hotel. What a fantastic start to a marriage. Unfortunately I got a red card after a few years, no foul play though, and I kept the son who was born in 1991.

His first photo was wrinkled, and red and white,[that was his head] but he also had a hat and scarf on, and I took the photo home and slept withit.
    His first game was to be placed[with his hat and scarf] he looked good, even at 8 days old.
    His first visit to Highbury was the day Ian Wright beat the then goal scoring record.
    He is called Charlie [His second name], but his real first name is Alex, which was good as well, and he has grown up, now 19, and goes more than me. He is biased, bloody minded and tunneled vision when it comes to Arsenal. It takes the pressure off of me really….
    For the record my Dad was a North Banker in the 30’s [or whatever it was then] but never took me, I went as a kid with mates in 1967, for forty years or more….

What a blessing Chaf. You lucky man.

90. chaf says:

Placed in front of the telly, when Merse scored 1-0 at Anfield (again)…

91. dandan – rasp has tarted up your pic a bit so I’m going to try to put it in. Are you happy with the black and white one or do you want a colour one like Raddys if I can find one?

92. chaf says:

Hello BR

Yes, I am lucky. The first thing he said today was, “That wanker’s been sacked”

Peaches. SH found on yesterday…..

Mine supports Brøndby!

95. Great story Chaf

My youngest daughter fell in love with Emmanuel Petit that very night when Wrighty beat the goal scoring record. He was presented at a family party and oooh aaah he was like an adonis – my spud girlfriends were dead jeolous that we had player that looked like that 😳

96. dandan says:

I am happy with whatever causes you the least problems, Peachy

97. dandan says:

Chaf I was at Anfield with my Liverpool son that night, it was the day Dalglish resigned, the Arsenal fans greeted the teams with a massed chorus of “wheres your Kenny gone” My son to be fair laughed as did all the pool supporters round us

98. chaf says:

dandan

The night before my wedding I was at a football reunion dinner and dance, (incidentally at Martin Chivers Hotel as well) the only time I took my headphones off was to say a speech. It must’ve been fantastic up there. I did watch the game on video when I got in. So it was a great buzz getting up in the morning, being champions, and going off to get married later that day.

And yes, I did have ‘CHAMPS’ written on the base of my shoes, which caused a bit of a stir in the church when I knelt down…

99. I know supporting other clubs is a very fickle business but can I say that I think we should all be rooting for Liverpool to find some form because the Premiership is going to be decided by the teams that can battle against the mancs and the chavs and Liverpool are one that can cause them to drop points.

100. chaf says:

I don’t think they need the support at the moment…

I have realised that I am in Italy for both CL quarter finals. I can only blame myself…..

But if we draw Inter Milan, I can go to the game at the San Siro !!!

Forza Nerazzurri si puo battere Il Chavs

102. chaf says:

With garlic bread and a beer

103. nothing wrong with it at all, peaches

as per my post today

and my post tommorow

support whoever helps the Arsenal cause 🙂

There is a NEW POST

105. Grannygooner says:

BigZee’s mum here. Just a few more details my son omitted
    1 My Grandfather and his brother worked at Woolwich
    Arsenal in Dial Square around the time the club was formed. He was naturally an Arsenal supporter.
    2 My youngest daughter is that fanatical her daughter was concieved to be born out of season and attended her 1st match at the Emirates 17 days after she was born.
    3 My daughter goes to all the games home and away leaving me holding the baby.