How many Bendtners does it take to change a light bulb?

Why do it the easy way when you can do it the Arsenal way. This should have been a game in which Vik Akars’ responsibility was not only to organise the kit but to also supply the sun beds. That’s to say Almunia should have spent the afternoon lying back on a sun lounger, in the goal mouth, sipping a cocktail with a little umbrella sticking out. Vermaelen and Silvestre should have been doing no more than chatting around a barbeque on the eighteen yard line. All this going on while the forwards scored an amount of goals so high that it would have made the usual score-line of an Arsenal Ladies drubbing of the opposition seem like a low scoring affair. That’s what we deserved anyway, I reckon, after the high anxiety that we have had to suffer in recent games but oh no, some how we managed to give the absolutely useless Burnley a chance of getting something from the game. What has become clear from yesterday’s game is that if we are going to win something this season we are going to have to suffer for it.

This game should have been put to bed within the first fifteen minutes, chances falling to Fabrégas and, of course, Bendtner! Where do I start? One of those jokes springs to mind: how many Bendtners does it take to change a light bulb, although, with the obvious adjustment, making it: how many great crosses does Theo have to send in before Bendtner puts one away? We shall never know the answer, of course, because Wenger substituted him to spare further blushes.

As Bendtner made his way from the field my anger changed to sympathy, I am not sure if they showed it on telly but there was one very moving moment just after Bendtner had missed his eighth sitter to which in normal circumstances the fans would been at his throat but to my complete admiration they gave him a loud, heart felt rendition of “there is only one Nikki Bendtner.” The Dane was visible humbled by the support that was being shown and clasped his hands together and bowed his head as if to say thank you Japanese style. Irony of ironies was that as soon as he went off we didn’t seem to be half the threat.

Still we got there in the end, three points are three points are three points and with those little gems added to our tally we are nicely poised to spring to the top when the opportunity presents itself.

There is, of course, a new injury concern, there always is: Fabrégas limped off midway through the first half. Just a few moments earlier he had gone over to the bench to explain the problem and asked to be withdrawn; I can only imagine that they said to him: would you mind just popping back for a bit longer and putting us ahead — which he dutifully did. Nasri sent in an exquisite chip landing inch perfect in front of Fabrégas who calmly slotted it through the keeper’s legs and into the back of the net. That was the last kick of his game and he departed to his customary and always justified standing ovation.

Fabrégas’ departure was the cue for the Walcott and Nasri show to begin. Neither has played as well as they did in ages. Nasri was weaving his magic in the middle while Walcott ran rings around Burnley’s left back sending in perfectly weighted cross after cutback after cross and cutback for Bendtner to squander.

It is some distance from Burnley to London which should have given the visitors plenty of time to read the script which clearly stated that we would take three points easily from this game; unfortunately, they didn’t study it thoroughly as they should have because just after half time the cheeky monkeys went and scored and that definitely wasn’t in the script. This gave rise to more anxiety than we deserved, Walcott continued teeing them up for Nik who continued to miss them and then, as if fed up with his fine work being wasted, Theo picked the ball up on the right and rather than send in another cross to be wasted he danced past three Burnley defenders before curling a low left foot drive along the floor and into the corner leaving the goal keeper spread helpless on the floor.

Two one up and the whole ground including Burnley expected the flood gates to open but no matter how many chances were sent over to Nik he just couldn’t give us that all important two goal cushion which as we all know would have been the cue for the party to begin. Instead we had to suffer Burnley coming onto us fuelled by the outrageous notion that they might get something from the game.

Nails being chewed all over the ground I noticed Wenger go up to the Burnley manager and point to something in a book, I can only assume that he was pointing to the script, the one that said that we end up winning by a two goal margin, it had to be that because shortly after Arshavin put us all out of our misery by scoring the third; we finally got our cushion but with only seconds left there wasn’t enough time to stretch out and enjoy Vik Akers’ sun loungers.

Player ratings:

Almunia: no complaints, a tidy game; had to deal with a few long range speculative efforts which he handled well, his distribution was noticeably better. 7

Eboue: not one single bit of play acting; he obviously read Friday’s post and decided to buck his ideas up, a very thoughtful performance today, impressive. 7

Silvestre: he’s not great, we know that but bearing in mind all the injuries we have I still say thank goodness we have him. 5.5

Vermaelen: he is so much part of the furniture that I am starting to struggle to remember what life was like without him. Had to work extra hard to cover for Silvestre’s lack of pace which he did in his usual brilliant way. 8

Clichy: was back to his best last week against Stoke and carried on where he left off. I feel secure having him around again. 7.5

Denilson: got better as the game went on, made himself available at the right time and in the right place. 6

Fabrégas: we can only hope that he is not out for any longer than it takes to buy a Mars bar from the shops and when I think about it even that is too long. The Master. 8

Rosicky: a tidy game, starting to give the impression that he really cares again, less flicks and tricks and more determined passing and shooting. 7

Walcott: by contrast to the dire Wes Brown, Eboue was a superb partner. Confidence led to a level of quality that we haven’t seen in his play, I was going to say ages but I should probably say ever, well done Theo. 8.5

Bendtner: he was so wasteful I just had to laugh in the end. 5

Nasri: man of the match today; this Frenchman is no winger. 9

By London

100 Responses to How many Bendtners does it take to change a light bulb?

1. London says:

Morning All

I hope you find this entertaining, I will be back later.

2. ian says:

YOU HAVE NO GOAL-SCORING BRAIN, BENDTNER

before I go into details all credits to chris waddle for the motivation he had on theo… hope he can now do it to all arsenal players and we’ll surely win the league…

• YOU HAVE NO DEFENSIVE BRAIN, DENILSON

• YOU HAVE NO GOALKEEPING BRAIN, ALMUNIA & FABIANSKI

• YOU HAVE NO RECOVERING BRAIN, RVP

come on arsenal!!

3. Harry Barracuda says:

His cocktail should have had one of those little plastic monkeys as well. And a stick with a cocktail cherry and a piece of pineapple on it.

4. mrooos says:

There certainly is only ONE Nicklas Bendtner – Ive been saying for ages this lad shouldnt even be a footballer. He has nothing in his game that is good at all. Lets hope Chamahk can come in and be better than this pillock. When is RVP back? He could have cost us on Saturday. And lets be honest, its not the 1st time.

5. chris says:

ian – you have no brain.

6. Rasputin says:

Morning London,

Congratulations on a brave post! You caught me out with the timing, but I’ve done my bit now.

In defense of Bendtner, he got in excellent positions to be able to miss those chances and so we can say that everything is in place except the final product. If he can finish for us as he does for Denmark, he’d be able to put in the lightbulb every second attempt.

I agree about Clichy. Back to his very best.

Nasri was superb and to be fair, he and Tomas stepped up a gear when Cesc went off and fulfilled the playmaker role betwen them excellently.

7. MerseyGooner says:

I agree that the ‘squeaky bum’ part of the season is going to separate the men from the boys, and without RVP we remain a little culpable up top. Bendtner reminds me a bit of a young Niall Quinn who received more than his fair share of criticism from the Gooner faithful when he broke in to the team during the latter part of Don Howe’s time as manager.

Remember though, he still did a decent job when Alan Smith got injured in the run in of 88-89, and while acknowledge that Bendtner may end up plying his trade elsewhere, if we do win anything this season his excellent goal against Stoke will have been crucial.

Belieeeevvvveeee

8. Mayank says:

Nik is the exact opposite of Berba ( a player I used to like). While Berba doesn’t have the balls or conviction to get into good positions he’s got a superb first touch and finish, Nik is Nik. Although he has age on his side. Yesterday both showed why they’re useless.

9. blob says:

Oh how we laughed when chavski spent 24 million on Drogba and he couln’t hit a barn door at first…..not so funny now he bangs them in each match! Someone else said “Ive been saying for ages this lad shouldnt even be a footballer”, to that person I say just maybe he will score one more goal in his career before you get rid of him, say its a winner next week against Hull. We win the league oh I’m sure you will celebrate. Bendtner keeps getting in the right place. He will score loads of goals but not for Arsenal cos mroos has had him sold.

10. Joe_@** says:

bendtner really need to work hard on his finishing. to be fair, he was particularly made to look bad because of his other strengths such as having the striker’s instinct to be at the right place in the right time & timing his run well. didn’t he saved us from the game against stoke heading in a cross, the kind of goal that we almost never score? if his finishing improves (if ever)he would be one of the top marksmen (then again, it is a big if)

11. arsenal passion says:

No wonder we only managed three goals yesterday that’s because we have forgotten how to play with a stricker. If Bendtner was awful, than his replacement Eduardo is a disaster.

12. Alfa says:

Morning London. I like your post but you are wrong about Bendtner in one respect – he was worth more than a 5 yesterday. He consistently wins the ball in the air upfront, made a mockery of the Burnley defence who never got near him and makes a significant defensive contribution as well. He has the quality to be able to score; he is inconsistent because he is still young.

Any striker who can get in the positions he does, has the fitness, presence and the spirit he shows everytime he plays and has demonstrated he has the basic skills will be a good striker, maybe a great one.

13. hagos mesfin says:

the chance of bentder was not good at that moment
    but nasri i admire him too

Morning all and to be fair to London it is not easy to write a post after such a game.There were positives and negatives.

Is nic really too young or as with so many other players this season he has had a stop start campaign and therefore the final touch is not consistent.I will agee with you that it was a strange decision to take him off, as he was contributing a lot to the game, and after he was subbed we went on the back foot.
    Theo grew with confidence b,however we were playing a team with the worst away record in the premiership.
    I am more concerned about Eduardo than bedntner, he just isn’t the same player he was and I see no improvement in him.

With regards to conceding yet again, if you look carefully at the league table the average goals against at home by all teams is 15, exactly ours and that is a concern.

It raises the stress levels being an Arsenal supporter,we just have difficulty finishing teams off.
    Nasri was man of the match for me, and I feel confident that Cesc was only taken off as a precaution,but the game against Porto will be a real test as the score stands as it is.

Also Eboue is really raising his game, yet Diaby doesn’t look comfortable when defending(he actually collided with Almunia,who subsequently dropped the ball.)Again no real communication.

Denilson does nothing for me and never stamped his authority against a poor side.
    Anyway apart from his basin bowl haircut,Arshavin has a hell of a shot on him, and I am pleased he got back to his scoring ways.

15. josh says:

Your article is accurate and fair. However I was so disappointed that Bendtner missed so many chances to score! I really hope he will be more accurate in his goal scoring attempts for the next return leg with Porto. Arsenal cannot afford to miss this kind of ‘golden’ chances. To be fair, Walcott seemed a little pressured and affected from Waddle’s recent criticism but he overcame that to his credit and scored a goal. With that important goal I think he has regained his confidence. Yes, Clichy is also getting back his form as well. Arshavin made a good comeback with a third goal. Three important points and that’s is good!

16. Alfa says:

kesley, re Nik, stop/start season or young, it amounts to the same thing – he doesn’t have that week in week out regular playing time to turn his touch into an instinctive thing.

Don’t feel sorry for London, he’s had harder posts to write than that one 😉

17. Alfa says:

Sunday Times quotes Wenger saying, “There is a chance for Van Persie to be back mid-April.”

Best news of the day 🙂

18. Akintola says:

Nick is just unlucky on saturday game he’s always in good position

19. Stav says:

Although no one can deny Bendy had a complete mare in front of goal he did actually link play quite well and held the ball up pretty well throughout. He got himself in the right positions to score and we looked crap when he went off. I hope he does well for Arsenal.

20. RobM says:

“Ive been saying for ages this lad shouldnt even be a footballer. He has nothing in his game that is good at all.”

So you know more than our own manager and coaching staff AND Denmark’s manager and coaches too? Wow. How ever does your head fit through the door. Have you phoned Nik’s national team manager to tell him not to bother selecting the guy yet and have his goals stricken from the record? If so, what did he say?

The guy is still young and you’re writing him off already. Disgraceful. Tell me, how old was Ian Wright when he started to make his breakthrough into top tier football?

Welcome to all who have joined Arsenal Arsenal for the first time today. Please come back, your contribution is valued.

London. I so enjoy your writing ….. another excellent match review. Amusing, insightful and honest.

I was so happy and proud that the fans gave that response to Nik. Very different to the way Eboue was treated last season, and we saw how much Nik appreciated it. Of course, the bias radio/TV commentators lied and said he was booed off!!

I was disappointed with Denilson. He has obviously been studying the play of our previous Brazilian DM.

Perhaps Gilberto Silva gives lectures on “How to be an Invisible Wall”, because I saw Denilson’s name in the line up but not his presence on the pitch!!

As London rightly pointed out, Nasri, Diaby and TR were able to take over the mantle of Cesc’s creativity.

Someone complained on a blog that we have no replacement for Cesc. I replied that one cannot replace a genius with one player, but the combination of our 3 MF’s worked a treat yesterday.

And had the incredibly inept Wolves forwards not missed 2 open goals, we would be a point ahed of the Mancs. MU must be the luckiest team in World football.

Happy Birthday Raddy

Its possible there was some booing of Nik as that it often the case BUT there were also enough supporters standing applauding him as he left the field.

He got into great positions to score and how sad for him that he didn’t come away with at least the match ball. We used to say Ade needed 5 chances to score 1 so theres nothing new about squandering chances.

This team is creative and not all goal scoring opportunities become goals. Yesterday we could have had 7 upwards on another day maybe we will.

24. London says:

Morning again everyone

I have just read through all the comments, very interesting and I think I agree with Rasputin (this has got to stop) in as much that Bendtner had to be in the right position at the right time in order to miss the opportunities. It should be recognised that yesterday he did both of these extremely well with alarming regularity.

25. London says:

I didn’t hear a single person booo him.

Happy Birthday BR

Morning Peaches

26. I agree with you Raddy about not being able to replace Cesc with one player – Nasri has really impressed me the last couple of games and he and Rosicky were running the show when Cesc went off.

Theo was my man of the match for the spirit he showed yesterday – possibly a little too romantic of me – and for the goal he scored. Nasri was definitely one of the best players too.

Nasri was my MoM. He was superb showing why we paid so much for him. And he is still a very young man – I predict a big future.

Thanks for the good wishes 🙂

29. London – I don’t agree with the 5 for Nikki. Maybe he should have 2 scores – one for scoring and one for contribution to the team effort 🙂

Eboue and Theo are a great partnership on the right, Eboue has the heart and pace to try to keep up with Theo, I really enjoyed watching them together. I hope that happens again………and well done to Eboue, no dramatics all game.

30. chaf says:

Good morning everyone.

Good read London, and so early.

How many Bendtner’s does it take to change a light bulb?

Thats the trouble with young footballers they are always worried about other things, he should stop worrying about the light bulbs and concentrate on football. He will be a good footballer in his own time, if he wasn’t there to miss, we would be right to worry, and in the end he was trying too hard.

He will get it right soon. Apparently when he did change the light bulb, they spotted John Terry in the corner with someone’s wife.

31. chaf says:

Happy birthday BR

32. London says:

Morning Chaf

Yes, very early, I have been up all night being ill. But I still got a post out.

Peaches

If a surgeon operated on five people and all died due to the fact that he didn’t do his job properly would we still complement the surgeon on his effort? Bendtner may be a good boy who loves his mum but he didn’t do his job properly yesterday and for that reason I gave him a low score.

33. Rasputin says:

Morning London, peaches, many happy returns Raddy 😉

London, that is the best match report of the game on the net – congratulations.

Nik wasn’t booed. I’m absolutely sure that had it not been for Ramsey’s injury last week and our current situation, a certain sector would have booed him, but the collective feeling that nothing must detract from our quest for the title ensured he got a standing ovation – even though for some it may have been ‘ironic’.

Bendtner’s misses weren’t significant. Unfortunately the miss that was crucial was the sitter that Wolves missed that should have taken 2 points off manure.

Fine avatar Chaf

35. 😦 Sorry to hear you’re not well London, your dedication to duty is to be commended 😳

Good point rasp about the bunker mentality and collective feeling of getting behind the team – its that kind of spirit that creates a cauldron in the ground.

36. gnarleygeorge9 says:

A 12-1 scoreline might create an overconfidence in the players for the fixtures to come. Little Nicky 😈 will certainly be wanting to convert his chances next time round which all goes well for another 3 points in our quest.

Its getting so close now I can almost taste it 😛

37. gnarleygeorge9 says:

😳 Evening all

Many Happy Returns, Raddy.

Another year older and deeper in debt.

39. chaf says:

BR – Taken on the last visit to Highbury. It’s never been the same since! For me anyway…

40. chaf says:

By the way BR – Your picture I had in black and white, about 6 x 4, from the shop in 1967/68…

41. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Is it BR’s birthday, congrats to you. You’ll get your present in May.

42. Rasputin says:

Morning/evening gg, hi kelsey,

Wilshere showed good technique with his goal for Bolton yesterday. I think it was a shrewd move to send him up there because he is a feisty player and quite likes mixing it so maybe he can get the nasty stuff out of his system with them. He reminds me a bit of a young Joe Cole.

43. some real knuckle heads have joined the cast this morning i see.

good… a bit of sport never did anybody any harm.

44. Rasputin says:

Morning SH,

Poor old London’s not well so he put the post up very early which attracts the overseas bloggers. I don’t mind them giving their opinions, we’ve got nothing to be scared of. We won’t descend to name calling but rather try to persuade them otherwise – the trouble is that they seldom hang around to debate their views.

45. Hi gnarley – have I missed you again? I’m looking forward to the game where we can all be relaxed for the last half an hour – yesterday was extremely stressful …..

46. Actually I remember that those kind of games are really boring – you know the scenario 4-0 up with 30 minutes to go and nothing happening. Theres something about sitting on the edge of my seat until the bitter end that I really enjoy.

47. hi rasp, oh i see.. the link would have gone up on newsnow early doors for us but the right time for them.

makes sense.

my view on bendtner was posted for all to read last night, in the comments.

on a final note… i love a striker who has that natural instinct to somehow always been in the right place at the right time in order to put himself in the frame to bang the goals in.

nikki b is one of those type of natural strikers, we know he can be lethal.. he has a 1 in 2 record at international level.. and scored very regualrly for us in the youth&reserves.. also he banged them in for brum on loan.

give him just a little more time.. he will be exactly the striker we need, his link up play is awesome, phsically he can only get stronger.. at 20 drogba was a puny 11 stone wimp playing 3rd division footy in france.

i applaud all the gooners that gave nikki b the ovation when he was subbed, that will only drive him to succeed for us.

and he will.

48. peaches – narcassistic

we were on the streams on here… i had to switch it off at 2-1 when burnley had the skier from the corner..

49. Rasputin says:

Agreed SH,

Did you see that Theo was pointing to his wrist after he scored as he ran to the bench. I think the message was ‘give me time’. I didn’t see who he embraced when he got to the sideline, but it was obviously someone who he thought had supported him.

50. Rasputin says:

Almunia flapped badly at that corner. He came but didn’t claim. We were lucky. That could have been title hopes over. Still, every team needs a slice of luck along the way to win the prem.

51. yeah i was wondering what that theo celebration was all about.. “what time is it” seemed to be what he was shouting…

could be about some dressing prank involving a broken watch imvho.

52. Rasputin says:

I like the fact that Theo looked pretty angry and focused (not a touch on Rooney in the England game though) and he had a bit of handbags when he had to jump out of the tackle or get injured. I also thought that Cesc should get high praise for going straight to the ref – he obviously said something like ‘look, we’re all sensitive to those types of challenges after last week’. The ref actually handled it well by giving a lecture instead of handing out the cards.

53. Mayank says:

Arseblog has a pic of it Rasp.

54. Rasputin says:

Thanks Mayank, I’ll have a look……

55. dandan says:

Morning all, Happy birthday BR, fine post London, hope you soon feel better

So poor old Nik had a bad day at the office, it happens to the best of them. He will be back he has the talent as has Walcott. Thought yesterday was just the kind of run out Theo needed he will frighten the pants off Porto on Tuesday

As one of Eboue’s biggest detractors I was delighted with his no nonsense performance, not one dive or hissy fit,no asking the ref to book someone, all in all a solid contribution, great,keep playing like that and his name will be on the team sheet every week.

Hope Fab’s walk off is just a precaution, we will need him and Sol on Tues.

Thanks again Peaches for the stream you gave us yesterday a great two quids worth.

Hull next week could be a sticky one, Mr Brown will no doubt pump his kickers up, in the manner of his mentor Fat Sam. Having seen the teams reaction to Foxes tackle on Theo yesterday, would not be surprised to see a major blow up, should someone get whacked, next week, more suspensions and injuries we don’t need, so hope we can keep the lid on it.

56. Rasputin says:

Hi dandan,

I agree, the Hull game is one of the biggest banana skins in the run in. I think they’ve taken points off most of the top teams at home and will no doubt be physical in their approach.

The way the ref dealt with the incident yesterday shows that the referees will also be more aware of dangerous tackles against us after Ramsey’s assault.

If we are to be champions, Hull away should pose no real problems.

I predict another hammering for that deeply unpleasant team managed by an even more unpleasant man.

COYRRG

58. many happy returns, BR

59. spuds away will be a very tough game, a draw wont be the worst of results.

60. London says:

Spuds away three point banker 😉

61. depends on the context.

62. the manure chelski game is a beauty for gooners… been thinking about the best result for us…

and it does not matter, whatever the result it will be a good day for us.

they draw…. we make up 2 points on both

either one wins… we make up 3 points on the loser

wonderful.

63. A Gunner 4 ever says:

I wanna thank every one for this post and comment, at least everyone is entitle to his/her own opinion lol
    Well i start by thanking Mr Fantastic the fabulous young man who never seems to be lacking form And i’m praying that God heal him to came and win FC porto for us on tuesday
    i also commend Samir and tomas for their good spirit taking over from the captian, for theo,and Gael, they are wonderful i hope they can keep going like this and finally, and most seriously we should beg silvester to retire from football cos next season should be a good season for us with chamalk or zidan alongside RVP up front and the magic of fabulous we are gonna be unstopable.

64. Rasputin says:

Hi A Gunner 4 ever,

Welcome to AA and thanks for your comment.

I think Chamakh is probably a done deal. We’ve been linked with Zidan quite a bit over the last year, but he added a couple of million to his value when he scored that great goal against England. If we’ve got Chamakh, we wouldn’t need Zidan as well unless we’re going to let a striker go.

I wonder if Vela will be off in the summer as he doesn’t seem to get much opportunity in the first team.

65. rasp, the mexico international thing is killing vela.

he gets back injured or late to be considered for the squad.

but wenger talked him up a lot when rvp got injured.

no chance he sells him this year… he has massive potential, until he gets a good run, he will be kept on, i think wenger only sells them when he relaised they wont reach the next stage of development.

a case in point being aliadiere.

66. Rasputin says:

Hi SH,

It looks in that case that Vela will have to wait for the injuries to mount (I pray it doesn’t happen) to get his chance of a run of games in the first team. I can’t see a player of his quality and ambition being happy with the CC and the odd appearance in the prem off the bench. Probably Rosicky’s fitness and form has reduced his chances.

67. he has had an awful season littered with stop start injury, similar to theo, missing a lot of pre-season because of getting injured with mexcio did not help his cause.

he has come back injured again this week and on friday.

lets hope he has a good world cup and then he can force his way into the reckoning for next season.

i like him a lot, he has a lot of class with the way he finishes.

68. Rasputin says:

I agree, I’m a big fan of Vela’s. He could teach Nik and RvP a thing or two about composed finishing. He’s also officially the 2nd fastest player in the side behind Theo and ahead of Traore.

69. London says:

hmmm….2nd….and ahead of Traore…that’s an interesting fact.

Vela will have to wait. We cannot let quality players leave so young, unless they aren’t good enough and Vela looks the bees knees.

Our forward line of Vela, Nik & Theo will be together for a long time. Even RvP is still a young man of 26.

If Wenger can keep he players, the future is very rosy

Did you know (!) that RvP has missed more games than he has played for Arsenal – he averages just 20 games a season.

71. it’s such a shame that stat about rvp.. imagine what a player he could already be if he did not get injured so often.

van basten used to rave about him as the next duch master when he was at PSV as a teenager.. and he never overstates feelings on a whim.

72. hope the cup draw pairs the yids and the money launderers.

73. pompey v villa would be a nice semi.

74. Pay your 2 quids.. and settle down to watch a mighty top of the table clash in ligue 1 tonight.

ko 8pm bordeaux v montpellier.

i shall be tuning in to see how our new striker, chamakh, copes with playing a real pressure laden match against top opposition.

well worth tuning in.

Thanks for the info SH.

Happy days…..

I am quite concerned about the Porto game.Some may say I am being negative,but even with the away goal, can we win win 1-0.Keeping a clean sheet is a major concern and no team has ever turned over an away defeat in the first leg. 2-1 with extra time and then nick it (pardon the pun) is the best I can think of.

77. London says:

Hi Kelsey

I don’t think you are being negative, I think you are being normal. Tuesday is a big game, we as you say are one nil down but equally we are far from out of it…….should be a cracker.

78. porto are dangerous

1-0 is my prediction, we need to play a tight game and not allow them that elusive away goal.

tbf, i am worried aswell, 3 years to the day almost… that bleeding alex header for psv.

was sat right behind in the upper tier… still blame gilberto for that exit… there was no need to give the corner away.

79. London says:

And by the way Kelsey I forgot to thank you for your understanding words this morning. It was a harder post to write than probably most realised. If I was too critical of Bendtner I would have upset half the people and if I had been too sympathetic the reality of the game would have been missed. I opted for a bit of humour it an attempt to dilute the criticism that needed to be stated. I probably ended up pleasing very few.

80. London says:

Hi SFH

PSV at home, the last ever TH14 game for the good guys. EVER

81. London says:

Are you watching that French game? How is our new striker doing?

82. he is having a rough time… his partner got subbed off after they got a defender sent off in the first half.

seems very pacey and for such a skinny looking fella, he holds off challenges quite well.

83. London says:

I reckon there is going to be goals galore, I don’t think either team can defend well enough to keep it down to a 1-0.

84. BANG

the new boy scores 😆

85. London says:

Very pacey…I like that. I saw him against the Greeks recently and was impressed by his passing game. I didn’t notice his speed which is a great plus. Then when I think about it passing and speed — Wenger all over it.

86. London says:

Passing, speed and a goal scorer, we will have to start thinking about a song for him already 😉

87. London says:

See you later SFH, enjoy the rest of the game.

88. fuck me

he is aweseom 2-0 chamakh

wonder goal

89. ken says:

Morons that berate Bendtner are the SAME morons that berated Alex Song two years ago – and were actually Booing Diaby earlier this season.

So for every two-bob muppet on here slagging Bendtner off – F*** Off you plastic fan because when he scores against Porto on Tuesday you’ll be singing his name.

90. Benwell says:

Good post London about summed it up, it was a shame the low hard crosses stopped fizzing in when Ed and AK were on, they must have been sitting on the bench thinking we can fill our boots here.

We should beat Porto as we do have the away goal, they are at full strength so they say but we should still be too good for them as long as we don’t chuck an early one in. We should go for the high tempo approach as they certainly won’t be able to cope with that for 90 mins but we will be susceptable to the counter, hopefully we will be out of sight by then!

91. London says:

Totally agree Ken

Is there any particular reason that you felt the need to post that comment here?

92. London says:

Hi Benwell

I am always confident in the CL, see you Tuesday.

93. Rasputin says:

Hi ken,

Thanks for your comment. Those you criticise are new guests on the site and do not reflect the view of AA. We allow them on in the same way as we welcome your comment. We only ask that people keep it reasonably polite and try to be a little more constructive than simply name calling.

94. very well said, rasp.

95. London says:

Don’t you just hate man united? Just a random thought that crossed my mind. Lol

96. charybdis1966 says:

Too true London- that’s a subject for an Iliad-type post I could construct if I had the will power and determination you regular writers here have.

There is a NEW POST

Morning chary you could do your Iliad type post on the mancs in several parts if you like 🙂