Unshaken hand to broken leg – how Ramsey can win us the title

An extraordinary weekend of contrasts that reminded us all why we love football so much and how cruel a game it can be. Two days ago we were six points off the lead, hanging on to the front runners, sustained by a cocktail of faith, hope and comparisons with Usain Bolt. Charity wasn’t an issue, partly because we announced record profits while Portsmouth became the first top flight club to go into administration.
Now we are one big win away from the top, with the certainty that either Chelsea or Man U or both will drop points when they play each other. A draw in that game would likely see us one point from the top. Our ‘easy’ run in is a myth, but with odds now of 3/1 for Arsenal to win the title, we are not just back in the race but coming up on the rails.

The weekend started with the biggest question in sport – would Bridge and Terry shake hands? Resisting the temptation to offer his hand then humiliate Terry by holding it up to his nose and waggling it, Bridge piled on the mental pressure by eyeballing Terry then walking straight past. The significance become obvious when Terry, for the third match in a row, utterly choked and allowed Tevez to score. Chelsea crumbled in exactly the way that many pundits thought Arsenal would later in the day. Maybe a missed handshake could turn out to hit harder than a mistimed tackle.

The scenes of Carvalho with his head in his hands while Hilario flapped at the ball slowly rolling into the net were so reminiscent of Sol and Fabianski’s efforts against Porto that I started to wonder if the footballing gods had decided that a bit of role reversal would liven the weekend up. City’s 4-2 thumping of Chelsea, every bit as humiliating for the home fans as Chelsea’s visit to the Emirates, had me starting to believe.

By the time Gooners around the world settled down to the main event, faith and hope had been replaced by optimism, belief and fear that Stoke would trip us just as we were starting our sprint for home. Within 7 minutes the famous Stoke ’12th Man’ – I mean the towel, not the home fans – had conspired with some panicked defending to put us behind. And then the gods decided to make their move. Sol started shouting, Cesc clenched his fists and Song took his iPod out of his ears. Nikki B scored a sublime goal and we started to play like a team destined to be winners. London’s classic post is worth a second read just to enjoy the match again. What we had forgotten though, is that sometimes the gods demand a sacrifice, and so it came to pass.

Aaron Ramsey’s injury has been confirmed as a fracture to the tibia and fibula, which has been successfully operated on. The injury may be a little less complex than Dudu’s but will still keep him out for the rest of the season and likely much longer. Much was made of the contrition and distress of Ryan Shawcross as he left the pitch, but his track record (3 similar injuries to Arsenal and ex-Arsenal players in 3 years) suggests that there will be no redemption for Shawcross any time soon.

Again, on a day of contrasts, the ironies of football were highlighted by Shawcross’s elevation to the Englad squad a few hours after the game. Maybe if John Terry had broken Wayne Bridge’s leg rather than sleeping with his ex, he might still have the England captain’s job.

The spectre of Birmingham two years ago hovered over us, but this is a different team and a different time. This time the horror of the injury, instead of causing the team to choke, brought out the very best fighting spirit. For me the best moment of the match was when Cesc was jogging back past a ranting and gesticulating Pulis. Cesc held his finger to his mouth and told him to shush and that’s what every manager and every fan of every club is going to have to do when we storm our way to the top of the table and win the league.

On a weekend where even Craig Bellamy felt able to criticise a fellow professional’s off-field behaviour (‘we all know what  John Terry is like’), contrasts and role reversals were the order of the day. A missed handshake caused the league leaders to choke and a tragic injury allowed our young team to show what they are truly made of.

111 Responses to Unshaken hand to broken leg – how Ramsey can win us the title

The following comments were put on yesterdays post but they still very relevant so I’m moving them over

2. This comment from dandan

dandan Says:
    February 28, 2010 at 9:39 pm edit

Some additional thoughts I have also posted on ACLF but have enjoyed the discussions here today so thought I would leave these with you too.

Many of today’s excellent post and fair summations, expose and expertly clarify the problems the premier league in particular and English football in general faces today

In a world cup year we will be pitched against technically gifted foreign opponents with our own so called committed players. Hopefully our foreign coach will be able to curb the worst of our inbuilt excesses but should one fail and commit the kind of tackle and inflict the kind of subsequent injury visited upon Arsenal trio of unfortunates in recent times the ramifications for English football will be horrendous and doesn’t continence thinking about

It unfortunate that the megga money available to dimwits like Alladyce who in my view, started this up and at em philosophy, with the Neanderthals he laughingly called footballers at Bolton. ( You notice even he didn’t have the balls to call them players) Has resulted in a chain of equally talentless nonentities like Brown, Pullis and the demented Neil Warlord, Warlock hiding there brutishness behind a plethora of sports psychiatrist, computer analyst and the like.

All this has to my eyes a touch of the mumbo jumbo used by Voodoo practitioners in other climes to make them feel invincible against the modern weapons of the foes they are pitted against. Doomed to failure but never the less capable of causing damage in the short term.

Will the Football authorities react, do they dare react, or would the outcry from the money men be so loud at the thought of their possible eviction from the gravy train that is the premier league. Cause these officials with their comfortable sinecures and large incomes to hide their heads in the sand again and carry on as is.

My guess is they would choose the latter, so talented players will continue to be kicked at will by these licensed assassins until, A Rooney, Gibbs, Gerrard or Lampard are taken out, then and only then maybe some thought be given to a better way

3. And this comment from rasputin

Rasputin Says:
    March 1, 2010 at 8:52 am edit

dandan,

Thanks for the above comment last night and sorry no-one was around to respond. You have made the point brilliantly. Without Rooney, our world cup hopes would be in tatters. Had Rooney been on the end of Shawcross’ tackle and suffered the same consequences, there would be a massive media-led campaign to stamp this ‘violence’ out of football. But because it was a 19 year old Welsh kid who plays for Arsenal and we’re a bunch of primadonna’s its OK because it’s a ‘man’s game’ …… sickening, neanderthal hypocrisy.

4. Rasputin says:

Excellent post Alfa,

I am more angry than I have ever been listening to the media defending ‘the physical approach’. I have put a new box in the right hand column naming and shaming the ‘professional pundits’ who condone violence on the pitch. I have populated it with my worst three offenders. Please let me have your candidates and I’m sure we will see a pattern emerge. Sad and bitter ex-players living in the past.

5. London says:

Morning All

Well, I won’t be offering a rebuttal to that post. I can see your first was just a marker; today’s not only hit the target it blew it out of the water, an excellent read, top, top drawer Alfa. I love the bit where you say and then Song took his Ipod out his ears…brilliant.

6. Irishgunner says:

Morning all,

Sorry I’ve been away, our internet is a bit funny at the moment.

Didn’t see the game but Peaches filled me in and I saw the tackle on the news.

All I can say is I hope Aaron gets better, can’t say anymore than what I said what happened Eduardo. The same question still arises though – why are Arsene and Arsenal the bad guys in this?

7. Rasputin says:

Hi Irish,

You’ve been missed 😛

It’s a mixture of reasons, but by far the greatest factor is jealousy and resentment borne of the knowledge that they are outclassed and outplayed by Arsenal.

8. Rasputin says:

Here’s a perfect example of the crap that’s being reported…….

…..Stoke midfielder Rory Delap believes the severity of the injury suffered by Aaron Ramsey saw Ryan Shawcross sent off on Saturday.

Referee Peter Walton initially appeared reluctant to punish the Potters ace, as the tackle lacked malice.

However, the England hopeful was dismissed after the match official saw the extent of the damage he had caused.

Delap thinks Walton’s thought process was wrong and feels injuries have to be accepted as part and parcel of football.

“The referee appeared to react to the seriousness of the incident rather than the actual tackle,” Delap said in the Daily Mirror.

“I said to him ‘Did you see it?’ and he said ‘I don’t think he meant it – but I’ve got to send him off.’

“I’ve been in a similar situation myself when Theo Walcott was injured from a challenge I made on him.

“I caught him but it was more a case of his pace and, well, my lack of it, I guess.

9. Alfa says:

Thanks London, and to Rasp for the pics.

10. Irishgunner says:

I’ll be on and off Rasp I’m afraid 😦

Its not got to do with Stoke, its the media and this idea that Arsenal move too fast and its our players fault…

I have just seen clips and stuff from the game and to be honest, despite him having broken Jeffers ankle before, I don’t bare any ill towards Shawcross.

I do think he is saddened at what happened unlike Taylor who seemed more than delighted than non-Birmingham fans now know his name.

I am confused as to why Arsene and Arsenal are once again being put at blame for this? It doesn’t matter that Shawcross is English imo, its the fact it was a non-important Welsh player whose leg he broke. The papers would be at him big time had he done it to Rooney or Gerrard or Lampard.

11. Rasputin says:

Morning Alfa,

My pleasure. You’re article is superb. The definition of the term ‘break a leg’ is ‘good luck to you’, so as you correctly conclude, Aaron will play a huge part in our motivation to win the premiership.

12. Irishgunner says:

Stan Collymore – He beats women, do you really expect civil behaviour from this moron?

13. Rasputin says:

Hi Irish,

Yes exactly – that’s what dandan and I had said earlier. How many more injuries do we have to suffer before something is done? Theo’s recent injury was perpetrated by a defender trying to ‘let him know he is there’ or ‘slow him down a bit’

14. charybdis1966 says:

Morning al, I still feel a little sick after the events of Saturday evening. Of course we feel elated that we are still in the hunt for the title but deflated by yet another potentially career-ending leg break on our players, as we know the 3rd in 4 years. My post of last Monday feels sadly prophetic, the media/hacks/ex-players all share some part of the blame for the trail of broken limbs we have accumulated, as they say that it’s ok to rough us up because we “don’t like it up them.”
    I listened to about 2 minutes of Talkshite this morning (against my better judgement) and predictably we had a long list of callers spouting the standard clap trap about “so you want us to make football a non contact sport now” and “It’s a man’s game” – how is indulging in cowardly, snide tackles form the side and behinds many and brave?
    It’s nothing but cowardly – what next, will these same people say it’s brave to hit women or children?

15. Rasputin says:

That’s why he is top of my list Irish.

16. charybdis1966 says:

* “…side and behind manly and brave?”

17. Rasputin says:

Hi chary,

I completely agree. I have a post prepared on this subject. I am not going to feel inclined to support England in the ‘friendly’ this week, because it is the English/British attitude that condones practises that are against the rules of football.

18. UpUrArse says:

In cases like this I don’t feel the suspension is long enough, the player who gets injured by this sort of challenge suffers much more than the player who commits the offence. The offender should be suspended for as long as it takes the injured player to recover. Obviously this can’t happen in every case but when it is obvious that the offender has intentionally injured another player it should be enforced. Maybe something like this would deter the Pulis’, Allardice’s and Brown’s kick them policy.

19. tommystout says:

Good morning all.
    Thank you for a great read Alfa, i’m still angry and i’ve had to turn talksport off this morning, alan brazil is spouting his usual anti wenger gaff.
    The media started all of this, maybe they can have something to do with ending this vile way of competing against Arsenal. I have a little hope after hearing Darren Lewis (Mirror) fighting our corner this morning backing Martin Samuel’s (Mail) take on (coincidence or not). We need more of these characters to get their point across to stamp this out of the game. Best we mortals can do is turn off that damned radio station and keep blogging.. I love this site!

20. Irishgunner says:

I must be off again folks.

Hope to catch up again during the week.

Best wishes to our Welsh Rambo.

21. charybdis1966 says:

Hello Raspers, teams like Brazil & Spain haven’t won world Cups recently by resorting to this approach, and while the English press/fans idolise and condone this type of play I can’t see the trophyless run ending anytime soon.

22. Rasputin says:

Morning UUA,

Maybe the club whose player causes the injury should pay the wages and medical costs for the injured player until they return to the pitch … that would make these thugs very unpopular with their own management and might even dissuade them from signing ‘non-footballers’ in the first place.

Alfa, terrific post and daddan great comments.(are you actually older than me ;).

With regards to TalkSport they obviously thrive on controvesy, and I remember distinctly when Henry was in his prime,Adrian Durham advocating that the only way to stop Henry was to break his leg.That more or less sums up this scum station.

24. UpUrArse says:

Morning Rasp,

The FA need to make some kind of action against these types of teams/managers/players. With the 50% tax issue the prem is already going to have trouble attracting the very biggest names. Why would the technically gifted want to come to these shores when they see horrific injuries like this being inflicted. Don’t get me wrong, bad tackles happen everywhere and I’m sure La Liga has its fair share of players who like to get stuck in, but I do feel most clubs there have the philosophy of playing attractive and technical football.

25. Mayank says:

Man’s game eh?
    About as manly as snatching a woman’s purse on the subway.

26. Rasputin says:

I agree UUA, as I said earlier, it will probably take an injury to Rooney or Gerrard pre world cup to force them into action. It will cost Arsenal well over £1m in terms of wages and medical bills to get Ramsey back on the pitch. The finances of the premiership are in chaos, so I’d definitely bring in some financial penalties because that would seem to be the most effective way of forcing clubs to comply with what after all are the rules of football.

And another thing.Can someone explain to me as Portsmouth go into administration and are already relegated,why do they get 16 million for the next two seasons,as a parchute payment.

Football is not a business,whatever anyone says, or at the best it is a business with it’s own rules.

28. kelsey – the point of the parachute payement is to help keep clubs that drop off from the riches of premierhsip tv money in existence!!

they set up on huge wages to keep players and attract players once they get into the premier league..

so naturally, when they go down… holding on to cost base of the premier league.. but with the woeful tv cash from the football league… they would all go bust very quickly.

it makes sense.

29. London says:

In order for the EPL to come into existence it needed the agreement of every team. In the late division 1 there were two clubs that were going to be relegated and so they had to be offered an incentive to vote for the proposal……as SFH says it makes sense.

30. Alfa says:

Kelsey, Tommys, thanks. Talksport only do it to wind us up and keep us listening to the ads or texting in to the auctions.

The FA won’t do anything that financially penalises the top clubs, whether for injuries or relegations. Relegation may be the best thing for Portsmouth, although not for their staff many of whom will lose their jobs probably. If they clear out the players who are overpaid and come to an agreement with creditors, they can rebuild with lower costs and no more hidden debts. The fans will get their club back. Avram Grant seems a decent enough manager – if he sticks with them they could be challenging near the top of the Championship and still know that they have been FA Cup winners recently.

31. Rasputin says:

The team that ‘arry assembled to win them that FA cup and the ridiculously high wages that he negotiated (what was in it for him?) is the main reason Pompey are in trouble. That was about the most expensive FA cup win of all time. Arry’s face should be at the centre of every dartboard in Portsmouth.

32. Rasputin says:

… oh, and then he did them a favour by buying all their best players for totnum for a fraction of what they were worth … Kranjcar for £2m???

33. MoW says:

great post alfa.

the league will boil down to whether our strikers can hit title winning form.

it’s all about bendtner, eduardo and arshavin for me.

we need at least one of them to hit a purple patch. the rest of the side is more or less capable of seeing us home, if we avoid further injuries.

but we need goals. clinical goals.

frankly i am big time pissed off with arshavin.

when did he last score a goal for arsenal? derby at home? how many MONTHS ago was that?

that is just NOT GOOD ENOUGH. c’mon arshavin. wake up, mate!

Alfa. Excellent post. The standard of writing on AA is superb and puts many a journalist to shame.

Great point this,,,, “Maybe if John Terry had broken Wayne Bridge’s leg rather than sleeping with his ex, he might still have the England captain’s job.”

35. charybdis1966 says:

MoW – I can remember the Arsh scored against Bolton at home, Jan 20th this year, about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

MoW . Bendtner: 2 in 2. I am happy with that. Let’s hop he keeps it up!

Rasp. Please don’t start me in ‘Arry!!

37. London says:

The 5’4″ Russian Dynamo is just having a rest, drinking energy juices and will be back raring to go.

Did you notice just how more effectual Bendtner was when Eduardo came on? The Great Dane is so much more happy playing the traditional number 10 rather than the number 9.

Talksport employ total plums because their aim is to infuriate people enough to phone in.

The reason they focus on Arsenal is because there are more AFC fans in London than other teams.

Take some advice: Stop listening

Good spot London

40. charybdis1966 says:

I forgot to say Alfa, well crafted post mate. I had the kernel of another idea for a post last night but what you said pretty much took the wind out of my sails.
    Bravo.

41. Alfa says:

Hi all and thanks for the comments. Chary, your point about the England team not winning playing like this is a good one. Did Bobby Moore ever break anyone’s leg? He wasn’t a softie.

42. MoW says:

what am i talking about derby! muppet. yes, arshavin scored vs bolton. but was it really this side of xmas?

not happy with his goal return, or contribution to the team. it’s somewhat less than i expected.

happy for nik and his 2 goals. i hope this is the start of a purple patch. any shit one season wonder striker can go on a run, we’ve seen it many times before. ours are talented.

if one of the three can bag 10 goals we’ll be massively in with a shout of one of the BIG TWO.

43. charybdis1966 says:

Yes MoW – I was there and it was the Bolton match delayed because of the snow on the 6th January. Our Meerkat has scored 9 so far this season – so if he finishes in the high teens for goals scored I’ll be happy.

44. Alfa says:

London, Bendtner and Eduardo have always played well together right from the start. Curious thing, they just seem to gel. Little and Large 🙂

45. London says:

Mow

“what am i talking about derby! muppet”

I am having trouble making sense of this. Is English your second language?

46. Rasputin says:

London,

I think MoW was calling himself a ‘muppet’ for forgetting AA’s goal against Bolton 😉

47. London says:

Ahhh, I’m glad I kept calm.

48. charybdis1966 says:

If he was calling me one, I’d like to be Animal , the one on the drums, he was my fave muppet. 🙂

49. London says:

Nice one Chary 😉

50. Rasputin says:

Sometimes it’s more like Statler and Waldorf (the 2 old guys up in the balcony on the Muppets) on here 😆

51. MoW says:

yes, that’s right rasputin.

i was confusing myself with his goal against stoke, when i think he played his first start though the centre and took a nice strikers goal under pressure.

i was made up then.

however, unlike RVP, he didn’t ever grow into the central role. despite having a run. and now he’s back shifted on the left.

52. Rasputin says:

I’m a fan of AA’s MoW (hence my gravatar) I don’t think he likes playing the central role. As you know, he is refreshingly honest (perhaps too honest) in his statements. He said that he couldn’t compete for high crosses (Sagna!) up against 6ft 3 in defenders.

He has a degree of genius that can create a goal out of nothing and he has got some important goals for us since he joined. I also think he works hard defensively contrary to what is often said about him.

53. MoW says:

i am also a big fan. we need players and personalities like him.

but i can’t honestly put my hand on my heart and say say i am happy with his contribution. he’s not performing like one of the best players in the league.

if he gave more goals and won more matches it would make a massive difference to our title hopes.

54. charybdis1966 says:

I see the Spud Lennon is out for a further 6 weeks, so by that reckoning he’ll be back just in time to face us at Shite Hart Lane – but he may miss that game or at the very least he’ll be ring rusty.

55. dandan says:

Kelsey, When I see the comments in the press from Journo’s and pundits alike and realise just how out of sync with such claptrap I am. I do begin to think I must be older than everybody.

Or at least living in a parallel universe, where respect and honesty still mean something unlike the pages of so many papers and blogs. That have ranted and raved that it was basically Arsenals players faults they got injured, cos they are far to quick and skillful for there own good.

Yes I probably am Kelsey but I am given to believe that something I wrote recently, will be published on here soon and all will be revealed. LOL

56. charybdis1966 says:

Why Dandan, will you publish it in Aramaic ? 🙂

57. dandan says:

@Chary

Interesting you should choose a semitic language as my wife is of that persuasion…. LOL

58. why is shawcross getting more sympathy from thr wider media… than ramsey?

incredible!!

59. charybdis1966 says:

It’s one of the few old languages I know Dandan; I could have said Sanskrit I suppose, which would be more fitting to me BTW, and as I’m 43 thats quite ancient!

60. charybdis1966 says:

SFH – I’m not surprised at that – we had it all before with Dan Smith and then Martin Taylor, in fact Wenger alluded to the fact that this would happen in his post match interview.

61. SharkeySure says:

Afternoon All

Great post Alfa….and well said Raddy – I agree, every post on here is well written and balanced.

Wot a weekend ‘eh…..

On Arse.com you can leave message to Rambo, I won’t actually post the link here for one reason or another.

62. i blame pulis, 100%

shawcross is just not a very good player.

anybody remember pulis as a player?

i saw him play in a bournemouth side in the early 90s, jamie redknapp was also playing… and i can still recall pulis being the dirtiest, filthiest, aggresive footballer i have seen play.

he was out for GBH.. football meant nothing to him… he was lunging in 2 footed all over the shop.

is there any wonder one of his young, impressionalble pups.. has followed orders and gone out pumped by his manager to “get stuck in” and subsequently has broken bones left right centre.

pulis is the devil.

63. London says:

Do we have anyone with medical knowledge? What did Nasri break to be out for only three months? Do we know if there is a great difference between him and Ramsey?

No idea London.

Perhaps Nasri fractured as opposed to broke his leg.

65. Rasputin says:

I think the Ramsey injury is much more akin to Eduardo’s. Nasri’s was a fracture that didn’t completely break the bone. I think the nature of the break (a clean break is best)and the soft tissue damage are relevant to the length of recovery time.

Whatever it is Rasp. We will not see Ramsey again before Xmas.

What a shame, he really was progressing at an alarming rate, and would have been a first team starter after Summer.

But at least we have Denilson as cover…..

67. dandan says:

Ramsey’s is a compound fracture.IE both bones broken so one cannot act as a strong support to the other both must mend.

68. tommystout says:

effin el, adrian durham is backing up wenger….
    yes i’m still listening to talkshite. wish there was an alternative

69. tommystout says:

i thought nasri’s was hairline london

70. Alfa says:

tommys, maybe we should start our own internet radio station…

Thanks for the response about the parachute payment, but I still feel it is absurd.(Not the response, but the payments)

Going back to leg breaks, every individual will react differentl,speaking of mental state.

How was Eduardo feeling when he came on, and I mentioned yesterday Patrick Barclay made a good observation that Eduardo didn’t follow through with his leg when he should or could have scored.I wish him well,but I have my doubts if he will ever be as influential as we hoped he would be. his fitness levels must be back but maybe he will never be mentally sharp again.

Probably right about Eduardo Kelsey. But let us hope that if he can get a run of games, he will return to form.

I wish I had been given a parachute payment when I left UK !

Raddy,

Nice one 😉 I hear it’s on ice.

74. London says:

When Eduardo missed that goal scoring opportunity I didn’t put it down a fear of following through due to his horrendous accident, I put it down to the fact that he is crap with his right foot……left footed people notice these things. (Meaning he should have used his right, rather than his left. This is an addition.)

London I am left footed and left handed, honest 😉

76. London says:

I always dreamed of being Liam Brady when I was a kid. I am not sure if he is left handed as well. I am left footed and right handed like Van Persie.

77. London says:

Re the arrival of Chamakh: a few people have asked what will happen to Van Persie? It seems obvious to me that, when fit, he is the only player guaranteed to be in the starting line up in attack the rest of them: Chamakh, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott and Vela are going to have to fight it out amongst themselves for the right to take up the other two places. All good healthy competition if you ask me.

78. dandan says:

London are you based abroad.

79. kelsey

i cite maradona’s leg break as a 23 yr old in 1983..

he certainly proved 3 years later, in mexico, that it did not hold him back.

ramsey is a tough charachter mentally and physically.. he will be back.

80. and the eduardo miss.. i’m sure he did strike it with his left boot?

SH,

I thought he struck it with his left as well, I think London thought it was his right.

82. and just to throw my hat into the ring

i am left handed and right footed.

83. London says:

Eduardo did strike it with his left, what I was trying to say is that if he had hit it with his right, which he should have done, we would have been two up ten minutes earlier. The commentators were trying to suggest that he didn’t follow through because he was concerned about getting injured, nonsense; he’s just crap with his right foot and because of that he made a pig’s ear of it with his left.

84. London says:

Dandan

I am in London and from London, the reason I chose, what has turned out to be a bit of an unfriendly name, is because about three years ago I had the good fortune to spend a summer in Barcelona, while there and missing all things Arsenal I found the blogs, then, being an opinionated so and so I couldn’t resist putting my tupence worth in but I needed a name, so, being in Barcelona but coming from London I chose our capital……I slightly regret it because it is hard to shorten and make more friendly but hey ho…..

85. Evening guys – I’m only right handed I’m afraid, I haven’t got a clue whether I’m left or right footed.

I have got this to say on Eduardos lack of getting back into his stride – as his injury was ankle and leg wouldn’t that make him feel more vulnerable in the tackle compaired to a leg-break.

86. London says:

Evening Peaches

I certainly hope that Ramsey’s injury is no where near as bad as Eduardo’s.

87. London says:

Dandan

By the way, what made you ask if I was based abroad?

88. London says:

In my match report I wrote that I didn’t think Shawcross’ tackle was intentional as I thought both Eduado’s and Diaby’s were…..I have looked at the thing again and I realise I was being way too generous, I am now convinced that the thug was trying to take both the ball and the man….disgusting.

89. Hi London – as I remember Eduardos injury was so severe that if action hadn’t been taken by Lewin immediately there was a fear that he would lose his foot so yes I agree that Ramseys injury is hopefully not as bad.

Have you had a listen to talk sport this evening – I couldn’t help myself, needed to do a bit of shouting at the radio while I was out driving.

How is it possible to blame the challenge on AW and Arsenal and our divine football?

90. London says:

I did listen to it on the way to pick up my children, they purposely take opposite sides regardless of the subject. I never take what they say seriously.

91. London says:

I’m off now, see you tomorrow,

92. charybdis1966 says:

If there’s anyone still around I’m either footed(prefer left for accuracy and right for power) and sort of ambidexterous – I can certainly write with either hand, but bat(cricket) and bowl right handed but play guitar(badly) left handed.

93. talkSPORT really know how to milk it

they appeal to the lowest common denominator… white van man, sun reading, ex hooligan, drop out, 5 pints and a curry then give the missus a smack.

as suggested above… funny how every single show they have 2 presenters who ALWAYS take an opposite view 😆

dear oh dear

Chary. May I suggest you play guitar right handed…. we can’t all be Hendrix!

95. dandan says:

Stringfellow that was a very accurate portrait of me @10.45 have you been reading my mail LOL

96. dandan says:

oops 11,45 sorry

97. dandan says:

London I dont know I felt I had read a comment that had sparked that thought but having checked back cant find it.

dandad are you old school like me. First match Feb.1958.

Abramovich has had enough.All the players are going on a wage cap, and the bonus is that they can screw each others wives/girlfriends. First man,based on results,that goes through the whole squad becomes captain. simples.

100. tommystout says:

Morning all, anyone got PS3?

101. charybdis1966 says:

Morning TommyS, no but my sons are keen on getting one, they’re bored of their Wii already.

102. tommystout says:

i ask cos the whole network was down yesterday, but don’t let that put you off its a marvellous piece of kit, even for Dads like us!
    My sons still into Wii, but a couple of years and they’ll be impinging on my time!

103. dandan says:

Kelsey, yes my first visit to Highbury was also 1958.

104. tommystout says:

God’ Talksport wound me yesterday.
    Bob Wilson was excellent on it though, he wouldnt take any shite from them

105. charybdis1966 says:

I think the major selling point for them, TommyS, is to be able to play against their cousins in Kent and Oslo via the remote access type of facility a PS3 allows. I think they will ultimately get it but it’s just a question of when.

106. London says:

I am going to have to get my Dad to do a post on the 1949 FA Cup final. It always brings a smile to his face when he reminisces about how Arsenal beat Liverpool 2-0 with both Leslie and Dennis Compton playing.

107. tommystout says:

that would be a good one London, get it done!

London,

1950 Cup Fiunal not 1949.

109. TheWiseMaster says:

Days later and I am left to lick my wounds in Lanzarote – there are worse places I guess lol

Ramsey´s horrific injury and Shawcross´s redemption continue to dominate the back pages

Two articles I read today were of particular interest
    Mike Dennis (self confessed Stoke hater)in the Express stated that he had been asked to comment on the tackle by Sky and had gone to the studio ready to throw Shawcross to the Wolves (what a good journalist he is!). He then was shown the slowmo of the tackle and was able to state afterwards that Shawcross´s tackle would not even have merited a yellow card but for the injury. Shawcross had set hiself to clear the ball fairly and Ramsey´s momentum took him into the collision – and no I am not blaming Ramsey!

Next up was the Guardian who today did a piece on the subject of ´Are Arsenal targets for illegal fouls´ – or something like that. In the course of the article they published a league table of fouls per game committed against Arsenal over the past two seasons and surprise surprise; which team had commited the least fouls against Arsenal – it had to be Stoke of course!

I saw mention of Shawcross´s earlier indiscretions. One I do remember last season was on Adebyour when Shawcross slid him over the touchline. Wind the tape back and you will see Adebyour commit a foul for which I believe he escaped punishment – that was clearly retribution

I won´t go on but the evidence against Shawcross and Stoke just doesn´t stand up to examination. Mr Wenger is understandably upset but if Arsenal are to achieve the hights they deserve then he has to focus on the future and how best to achieve his goals. That future should imho include the addition of one or two Viera types who would give the team the balance it surely still lacks. Song looked the part last Saturday and I thought Eboue was excellent.

Arsenal showed great strength of character to recover but they will need even more of those qualities over the next couple of months

Good luck and see you next season

110. I got this website from my friend who shared with me on the topic of
    this web site and at the moment this time I am browsing
    this web site and reading very informative content at this time.