Arsenal’s remaining season: what’s the point?

I’m writing this on the back of the Bate result with all the despondent reactions still ringing in my ears. Now I don’t want to sound like I’m high as a kite on false hopium, BUT, pre-season, and on the back of a new manager, most Arsenal fans were pretending to show a more mature and patient side with getting back to being a top four side as step one.

We are currently sitting in 5th, with just one point separating Utd in 4th and Chelsea just below us in 6th. Hardly a time to chuck in the towel.

Beyond the League (although this post is about the League), in the Europa most think we’ll get past Bate, and we recently beat the bookies favourite, Chelsea.

Ok, the remaining League fixtures:  much will be decided by how each of the 4th spot contenders perform against the lower sides as that’s the majority for each’s remaining games, however much will depend on encounters between us, so here they are:

ARSENAL

Man City a

MAN UTD
Liverpool h
Arsenal a
Man City h
Chelsea h

I haven’t included City or Pool because they are not in the race for 4th , although interestingly, City have only one fixture left against a top six side, while Pool have three.

I have included Totnum because they are more than capable of spectacular implosions.

Some of these could end up effectively being the classic six pointers.

Can we make it? Stranger things have happened.

mickydidit89

65 Responses to Arsenal’s remaining season: what’s the point?

1. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Were you expecting top 4 at the beginning of the season? I certainly wasn’t. People already seem to have forgotten the car crash that was last season and the dreadful performances we had to sit through. Now I’m not saying that Emery has been a revelation, and reading something remotely positive about him after that shambles on Thursday may be hard for some to swallow, but my hopes at the beginning of the season were to see some signs of improvement and I believe when he’s had a decent squad to choose from we have seen some very good performances. Chelsea at home, Spurs at home, Liverpool at home and Bournemouth away have been fine examples of team and tactical performances, whilst we also got to enjoy a long unbeaten run even if it was against some lowly opposition. Now it’s fair to say that performances have dropped a little recently, but assuming this is a mid season blip (most teams have them and we’ve witnessed them many times ourselves under our greatest ever manager) and things improve once we get Sok back in the line up and find an able understudy at RB, then therel could still be a lot of positives to take from this season regardless of if we finish top 4 or not.

Surely we all knew that this was going to be a long process under Emery or anybody else that was going to come in, and surely we didn’t expect us to go through the season without any blips or loss of form, so I despair sometimes when I read comments from people looking to throw the towel in already. I appreciate its few and far between on this site but elsewhere it’s rife, and I shudder at the prospect of Arsenal becoming a club who changes manager everytime we lose a couple of games.

Personally, I believe final judgement on the manager should come once he’s had an opportunity to bring in his own players, and more importantly, once he gets rid of the ones he feels he can’t work with or that don’t fit his vision, even if that does include the mercurial German.

Cheers, Micky.

Looking at the prem table, the current extreme despondency does seem fairly ludicrous.

In the past I’ve always tried to be upbeat especially after defeats. Now I’m just letting myself go with my gut reaction to both disappointments and big successes.

Everything seems different at the Club with Wenger gone and it seems like we’re in a sort of limbo, waiting to see how it all pans out. I find talk of Arsene coming back pretty ludicrous, though. It’s as if last season has been expunged from the memory.

That excellent result against Chelsea was on 19th January but some have been putting that down to the chavs having an appalling 2019 so far.

The red mancs need to hit the skids soon.

p.s. I added Man City at home to their fixtures 🙂

Thanks Micky, a breath of fresh air 🙂 … I’ve been staying away until some sanity returned. I shan’t comment on some of the ludicrous stuff over the last couple of days.

There is no point in looking backwards in terms of team progression. You’ve said it all in the post; 5th in the EPL, still in with a chance of winning the EL. AW was right, in terms of finance, CL football is the holy grail, and a more important trophy than winning the Carabao cup. We need the money to compete in the transfer market.

We still have 2 shots at qualifying for the CL. The only thing supporters can do is get behind the team and the manager, because as we know, negativity from the fans and in the media does affect matters on the pitch.

4. LBG says:

The Arsenal 4th, (Manure and Chelski 5th and 6th), AND Europa Cup Winners. COYG.

FGG
    Was I “expecting top 4 at the beginning of the season?”…no, but it was a realistic step 1 objective

Early season glimpses of Torreira, Guendouzi and an optimistic looking partnership between Sok and Holding elevated this optimism

Injuries have taken their toll on the defence (and attack in the case of Bell), but the reappearance of Kos gives me hope that with Sok on the mend we can have enough at the back

6. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

I always find that what I see and read on Sky or in the press is the extreme reaction, whilst Twitter is how the mentally unstable would react. One defeat and people want to disband the club and start again!

In terms of over reaction, I think it goes something like:

Stoners – Reality – Newspapers – Sky – Daily Mail – Talksport – Twitter

Chas

I too have read comments about us beating a poor Chav side, but the point is they are one of only two competitors for the 4th spot, so I feel to see the relavence of their case.

Rasp

Agree

9. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

To have any chance we definitely need Sok and Kos to stay fit. Chelsea aren’t great at the moment and United have picked up some important injuries (plus a couple of defeats to PSG should damage confidence) so we still have hope, but I think we play some mid table sides away which seems to be our downfall at the moment so that needs to change quickly. Gut-feeling is we aren’t good enough yet.

I’d be amazed if we came 4th.
    It would definitely have to be seen as a rip-roaring success of a season.

11. fatgingergooner says:

Everton, Watford, Wolves, Leicester and Burnley to play. All games we could drop points in given our current mental block away from home.

I agree with you both, Chas and FGG, that given our away form it doesn’t look good at the moment, but, the league table speaks for itself

Twitter – haha.

ha ha indeed. He’s brilliant

In the very early internet days, I remember a superb MUFC spoof website. It was soon after the Glazier takeover, and the site was set up to give the appearance of a happy US fan, new to soccerball, and his love and passion for the Utd “franchise” 🙂

15. fredie says:

Its all hopeless just as later Wenger days. Emery keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. the 22 games unbeaten run that was pure luck and even though Arsenal was winning theses games they were not convincing wins to instill fear in other opponents

16. allezkev says:

I thought that Fulham (a) was quite convincing, coming back against an on form Liverpool (h) showed fighting qualities we hadn’t seen for a long long time. Tottenham (h) was a rollercoaster, but we fought back again, so pure luck, hmm, not sure about that?

Good morning.

Just to be clear.

My comments on the last Bate game were about what I consider to be our worst game ever, it’s a topic that will obviously, and quite rightly did, draw counter views.

The last line of my headline post on the 13th on Bate game was –

“I expect us to win – but then again we are the 2018/19 version of Arsenal so –?”

That is still how I still feel about the current Arsenal – they are an unknown quantity. An enigma which starts at the executive level, who are silent, and ends up on the playing field, I’m simply mystified as to where we are going.

I have supported Arsenal through thick and very thin and nothing will ever change my level of love or support for the club.

Emery needs and should be given the time needed to put his stamp on the team – but he needs to tread a lot harder.

The only hope we have left is to win the Europa League and get a backdoor entry into the CL, without the CL money we face an uphill battle to compete in the PL.

Latest Odds To Win Europa League make us joint 2nd favourites – which I find to be a very generous rating,

Chelsea: 4-1

Napoli: 6-1

Arsenal: 6-1

Inter: 10-1

Sevilla: 12-1

Valencia 20-1

GN5

So the 1 point we are behind Man U in 4th is too big a mountain to climb?

Obviously not, so even if we aren’t confident of doing so, finishing 4th isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, surely?

Chas these are our remaining PL fixtures.

In the reverse fixtures against these teams this season our record was – W7, D4, L1. The only loss being to Southampton.

The back to back games against Spurs and United will be the critical fixtures winning both would send positive vibrations through the organization and re-energize the fans. Our last eight games should all be winnable.

I would normally be very confident but our last 3 Pl games plus our loss to Bate were not in the least bit inspiring, and if we are honest with ourselves the early unbeaten run was blessed by some very fortunate results .

So my feelings are not based on what could be but more on where we are currently.

Southampton h
    Bournemouth h
    Tottenham a
    Manchester U h
    Wolves a
    Newcastle h
    Everton a
    Watford a
    Crystal Palace h
    Leicester a
    Brighton h
    Burnley a

I would love to be wrong.

So that’s a ‘yes’ then. 😊

I am underwhelmed with our performances and therefore lack confidence in our ability to gain a top four position.

I gave up on wishing and hoping long ago.

Have Sunday off chaps, there is one in drafts 🙂

23. Aaron says:

The Arsenal are not getting 4th, and that is looking at reality with a glass half full perspective.
    The Arsenal will be fortunate to make the Europa semi’s, if fortune looks on them kindly.
    The Arsenal have no D!
    Now, repeat that to yourselves a few more times.
    Cold hard facts- look at the goals against column and show me where in Arsenal’s history have they have achieved a top 4 with conceding that many goals.

The Arsenal defense is a sieve. When Holding and Bel went out, my hopes for a top 4 placing evaporated on the spot.

On the other side of things, the Ozil saga is a circus. His PR hacks have stirred up the hornets nest, by metaphorically beating (Berkamps) Ozil’s chest and claiming to be part of the something more elusive, fitting in with a group or tribe called Arsenal, but the mobs that follow him on those platforms do not want to hear any rational discussion about what Mesut should be doing and what is right for the club.
    I will defer to others ideas and opinions on how Emery take the club in current form and magically create a team that tightens up the squad to play enough defense to squeak by and “get in through the out door.”

Hey GN5

If I really concentrate on being gloomy about our 4th spot chances, I run into an inconvenient truth ie the facts

Reality is, we’ve lost and drawn pretty much identical numbers of games as Utd and Chelsea, while both have more fixtures remaining against top six sides than we do

Of course I agree we’ve been pants to watch on many occasions, but both Utd and Chav fans must be thinking the same about their own teams

We have 12 games remaining to be less pants than them 🙂

Aaron

Sok and Kos could easily help plug holes in our defence. Easily.

In through the back door it may well have to be 🙂

Anyone else? 🙂

Good Afternoon Boys.

1. Like: Micky’s Post – always languid, and nice to read.

2. Like: the genteel way AA’ers chat, even when they disagree, one with t’other. (mostly 😜)

3. Don’t like: Certain fans who on blogs or on twitter seem to behave as if they hate everything about the club.

4. Don’t like: Certain fans who turn on other fans simply because they do not sing to the same hymn sheet.

5. It is OK to be puzzled/disappointed or even angry at tactical decisions, team selections, or the supposed lack of money for transfers, etc, but perhaps a little less public outrage or virtue signalling and a little more decorum would not go amiss.

6. I call myself a fan, and have been since I was a child, but I seem to be out of step, so perhaps it is getting near time that I joined the likes of Terry, Rocky (and too many others to mention) in moving on. 😞

[One consolation was our kids beating the Spuds U23s 0 : 4 away!!] There is hope yet. ✌️

I agree with you Micky — so don’t hit me!! 😜

Oh do stop the drama queen quitting stuff RA, although I’d imagine you’d look simply divine in a tiara 🙂

My advice: cull the blogs/twitter accounts that vext you

30. LBG says:

Mesut only interested in complete move in Summer. Apparently declined loan to PSG, and doesn’t want loan at end of season as “settled” in London. Will stick if no permanent move possible.

The players really are in the drivers seat LBG. The Bosman ruling changed the balance of power from the owner to the player.

Stay with us RA we enjoy your company.

Well funny you say that, Micky, but …. and I do not mean to be vituperative, or anything 😳 … the title of your Post refers to ‘Arsenal’s remaining season’, sounds like me bemoaning the last remaining chocolate biscuit in the packet this afternoon, which when I scoff it means they will be gone.

Is this Arsenal’s last season too — do you know something we do not?

And while we ponder that ….. every time I type and send a comment, I have fill in the blasted email and name boxes the next time — it was never thus when Peaches was in charge!

Is Chas telling me something? Come on you can tell me — he won’t notice.

Signed: large drama queen

34. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

Great comment. The problem with number 4 is you can write an innocent comment just simply disagreeing with someone’s point of view and they can choose to be massively offended.

If social media is anything to go by it’s actually quite trendy to feel offended!

Micky I will root for us all the way, but I have genuine concerns about our ability to end up in a top 4 position. Only time will tell.

Thank you GN5. 😀

Haven’t quite made up my mind yet.

Medical reason’s mean I cannot blog too much anyway, and I think I would miss you lot too much! 😂

RA
    That having to fill my name and email each comment happens to me, too.

We’ll on my phone it does anyway.
    I assumed it was something to do with a phone update. Doesn’t happen on my PC.

Bring back, Peaches, swot I say.

FGG, another possibility is that comments/responses get misunderstood, and that has happened on many times here on AA.

I think you are doing just fine Chas.

LB

You are a lovely man. Ta.

BR is on manoeuvres for a week, so I was racking what’s left of my brains for tomorrow.

I’m forced to sign in after every comment on Internet Explorer but not on Firefox,

RA,

I’ve developed Carpol Tunnel through excessive use of the keyboard – so I have be be careful.

FGG,

As I mentioned, I am not on blogs much nowadays and never comment on Twitter.

But I read them both, and cannot comprehend the reactions to innocent comments, as you say.

It seems to be a rather distasteful exhibition of willy waving caused by frustration.

I was just teasing you, Chas. 🤪

Where would we be without you?

I have not had a problem, at all, until this afternoon.

I understand that can be really painful, GN5.

Carpal tunnel can sometimes respond to a splint or a wrist band. My uncle had it, and eventually wore a tight fitting medical glove that seemed to work by keeping the fingers extended.

My knowledge on this, as you can see, is minimal. 😳

I will pop on AA tomorrow. Bye for now, Guys.

46. fatgingergooner says:

True GN5,

I guess that’s one of the pitfalls of blogging. It’s difficult to get across tone, sarcasm being a good example, though I suppose it’s inevitable that people will end up arguing about something they feel so emotional about. Also, I imagine the arguments would be far fewer if we were winning trophies every season! 😊

47. fred1266 says:

Yea RA chas messed up wordpress not only u have problems with it

48. jjgsol says:

So, it seems, all we need to do is wait until next season, when UE has his own players.

Indeed.

So when he turned up at his interview and so impressed his interviewers with the fact that he had a dossier on each player, he also told them, yes, I have a dossier on each player, but I intend to get rid of them all or most of them and replace them with players in my own image and here are their dossiers.

And, about all of these “his own players”, where are going to come from and how are they going to be paid for?

A fire sale of all of our current ones, you say.

No doubt plus a few corn flakes packet tops as well.

Have we not had our legs pulled here?

Perhaps we should just change our name to Seville and that will solve all the problems.

jjgsol, yes, prospective managers deliver a vision of where they can take the team to …. but if chosen, it’s up to the club to support them and provide funds where possible. Some great managers like SAF had a couple of lean years before they started to deliver success …. same with Klopp. In both cases the club backed the manager in the transfer market.

50. RC78 says:

There is only the EL to play for so the EPL should be used to prepare players for next season and also to play some players a bit so we can sell them at high value: Ozil, Monreal, El Neny especially.

I

51. fatgingergooner says:

Every manager in football makes signings to improve the squad, espescially managers who have just arrived and are looking to change the direction of a club. I doubt that Emery arrived at his interview and said ‘put the chequebook away Mr Kroenke, I’ll just mould this fabulous group of players who were so terrible last season into league winners’

It seems fairly clear that this season has been mostly a feeling out process of the existing squad to see where he needs to strengthen and which players he can move on. I doubt many managers would’ve done anything different.

It’s clear investment is needed. The question is are the club willing to pay up? With the way football is now I see nothing but decline if we don’t spend. It’s sad that that’s the case but City have changed the landscape and taken it on from Chelsea’s initial spending.

52. fatgingergooner says:

RC78,

I said something similar a while ago in relation to giving Özil the games over Ramsey and getting the youngsters involved, but whilst ever the top 4 carrot is dangling there it’s difficult for Emery to drop the supposed ‘first XI’.

53. fred1266 says:

Think we should vote on that G5

54. RC78 says:

FGG – let us see mid-March where we are…
    We don’t really have a first XI though…the only thing that is for sure, our best performances came with:
    Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Kola, Torreira, Ramsey, Lacazette and Auba on the pitch at the same time…

In any case…this summer’s dealings are going to define Emery’s tenure and our performance in the next 2-3 years so I hope that funds will be available and that the staff will get the right players. I am not certain on any of these fronts…

My choice: Lafont, Hakimi, Akanji, Gaya, Gueye, Allan, D. Costa, Mitrovic

If only one player per line: Lafont, Akanji, Gueye, D. Costa

Leno – Bellerin, AKANJI, Holding, Kola – LT, GUEYE, Guendouzi – D. COSTA, Auba – Laca

LAFONT, Lichten, Sok, Kos, Monreal – AMN, El Neny, Xhaka – Miky, Iwobi – Nketiah

Based on the above, I hope that we get funding for more than one player per line

55. fatgingergooner says:

RC78,

The list of possible transfer targets you’ve put up just confirms what I’d already suspected, that there is a real lack of talent out there in the market, and the recent trend of all the big clubs buying up all the best talent at younger and younger ages has finally taken its toll.

I heard Gary Neville talking about the lack of talent out there and how the market is stuck and he’s not wrong. Every team in the world needs a decent CB but it seems they don’t exist anymore outside of the top 10 clubs!

I can’t help but laugh at the whole Hudson-Odoi drama at Chelsea. Bayern were happy to stick £35m on a kid who’s barely kicked a ball. Years ago nobody would’ve even heard of him and he would’ve cost a couple of million, and our transfer budget is supposedly £45m to repair the gaping holes we have!? Ridiculous.

FGG

Where did you get this £45m budget from?

I don’t believe it

And…morning

Morning

I’ve seen 40 mill bandied about.
    Here’s a little article about whether it’s fact or fiction.

LB’s post is ready to roll.
    I’ll put it up at 8am unless there’s any objections.

So, between 60 and 100m 🙄

Oh ok then.

61. LBG says:

I think the footie is so dour, we should play Carpool Tunnel on the blog – which ex player would we drive to work with singing old Arsenal songs?

62. LBG says: