Do we need a Centre Back or a Defensive Midfielder? Vote.

To CB or DM, that is the question?

We are rapidly approaching the January transfer window and let’s be honest we are aquiver with excitement (slight exaggeration!) We have a gaping hole in our squad and AW is sure to fill it, but how?

CB: Do we need another centre back? With Monreal, Debuchy and Chambers all able to understudy BFG and Koscielny, is another CB essential? Will we be able to attract a young player to sit on the bench or will the new chap take over BFG’s starting role? There are fears that Kos will leave in summer, I have not heard anything which convinces me he is Barca-bound but who knows? If he is then a big money signing is a must – Hummels or someone of his standing will be the order of the day. BFG has played almost every game this season and he needs a break – is it any wonder his form has suffered, but perhaps his loss of form is permanent as the Big Man becomes even slower.

But if they both stay and we buy someone who will be benched? My gut reaction is neither as we will try to continue with the personnel already at the club.

DM: Flamini’s contract is for 18 more months, Arteta is starting to creak and is prone to muscle injuries – his absences are costly as Flamster, despite his energy and commitment, is simply not good enough. We need to sign someone who can play DM and at a push CB. But they are much in demand and expensive. Carvalho – the flavour of the month – is valued at over €25m and the only time I have seen him the man was anonymous. However, we are in need of a direct replacement for Arteta or are we? Can Ramsey, Wilshere or Ox or even Chambers play the role?

What do you think?

Written by Big Raddy

99 Responses to Do we need a Centre Back or a Defensive Midfielder? Vote.

Tough one Raddy, but I went for DM.

I am making one assumption here, and that is if it’s an either/or, then the incomer will be of world class calibre, and I think right now a DM would positively impact the overall side the most.

I know Arsene said that he felt Chambers could play in midfield, but I think he could be an Arsenal CB for many years to come, and with Bellerin and now a fit again Debuchy covering RB, maybe the way for Chambers is to concentrate on playing CB.

This post was inspired by Eddie’s DM’s (Dr Martin Lezzer Boots)

3. Nobody will be going to Barca, their appeal against a transfer ban during 2015 has been refused.

4. ‘morning all, We do like a poll, well done BR, but why couldn’t we have the third option of “both”? It is just still the season of Greed and Conspicuous Consumption after all. 😀

NG. When I made the poll it had the Both option as well as a Striker option.

But somehow they have vanished.

6. aizedlittlemozart says:

good morning to all in the house (& those not here at the moment). its been a while, been neck deep in work, plus poor network where i’ve been these last months.

for the post today….i’d say we could end up buying none! why?

for the 1st time this season all our defenders are fit (talk about timing yeah?) debs, Hector, callum, per, kos, nacho & Gibbs!! all fit at the moment heading into the JTW.

for the DM position, if Francis coquelin plays tomorrow how he plays against the hammers….hmmm…….

the DM position will probably depend on the quality of available players. no making do. & lately, if arsene doesn’t see what he wants (quality wise) then he aint buying (….or maybe he does a Kim kardashian again)

7. jakey says:

Why can’t we have both……….😄

8. aizedlittlemozart says:

good post BR

my prediction of an undefeated december got soiled by that stoke defeat (sad)

Thanks Raddy, I voted for a DM you won’t be surprised to hear 🙂 I didn’t do the poll so have no idea where your other options went?

Hi aized, our points success rate so far this season….

Aug …. 5 points out of a possible 9 = 55%
    Sept ….5 points out of 9 = 55%
    Oct …. 4 points out of 9 = 44%
    Nov … 6 points out of 12 = 50%
    Dec … 13 points out of 18 = 72%

So December has been our most successful month

10. aizedlittlemozart says:

good month indeed Rasp….looking forward to our 1st 100% month…for both points & players

11. arnie says:

Nice one Raddy. 🙂

I went for the boring, predictable and popular choice of DM. I think that is more of an immediate necessity, unless of course, Diaby returns. Miracles do happen, dont they? 😛

12. arnie says:

Nice motning batner. Glad to know I speak more often with my arse than Micky does with either his arse or his mouth. But together, Micky takes the coveted first spot. Well done, Micky’s mouth and Micky’s arse. 😛

Nevertheless, not too happy with the spotlight. Evonne, why are you so glad I speak with my arse so often? hmmm. 🙂

13. arnie says:

OK, off out now, busy day. Parties, afternoon and evening. Wifey has purchased tickets for a Hogmanay Ceilidh. Complete disaster. I am being tagged along against my wishes. 😦

The rumours have started already …. apparently we’re going to sign Mario Suarez imminently?

…. great name for a footballer, and the girls won’t be upset 😆

arnie 🙂 because you are funny 🙂

Trust us to sign the wrong Suarez, typical Wenger’s mess

Oi GiE – your mate Pulis is back in business 🙂

18. wally says:

That he will fill it is hardly a sure bet. The hole has been there for years and yet….

We need both. Having fb’s step in regularly for a cb that’s down is not the way to any championship. Nor does it provide competition for the existing pair. And a worthwhile DM who abilities are wisely utilized is would be worth his weight in gold.

Diaby. I laughed. A good one to finish the year on.

Very rare that you’re able to get someone useful in the January window so I’m certainly not holding my breath.

Let’s hope we’re catching So’ton at the right time. 3rd in 10 days on a slim squad and Schneiderlin out. Then it’s onward and upward to the Wenger trophy! Sorry to sound so cynical.

19. With about nine hours to go before the transfer window opens we are all agog waiting to see who Le Professeur signs. Defensive mid-fielder or centre-back are the obvious options but who knows what will happen?

The one thing I sincerely hope is that we do not sign someone who can fill in at more than one position. I don’t want to see us signing a “jack of all trades”. You all know how that adage goes on, “master of none”.

As Aized points out @10.37, all our main defenders are fit at last so the emphasis should seem to be on satisfying the requirement for DM.

Carvalho, Suarez, Sissoko would all fit the bill, at this stage of the season one with Premiership experience and not “cup-tied” for the Champions League should be the priority.

As Wenger never listens to my advice, I can’t think why he doesn’t, I guess he’ll go for Loic Perrin defensive mid-fielder who was converted to centre back, a French International currently at Saint Etienne.

I went for DM.
    Is Matic’s brother available?
    I can’t see Soton parting with Schneiderlin.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a CB in on loan and that was all.

Jeez, I’ve just seen that I’ve put 42 hundred “comments” on here.
    (that’s without all of my other aliases 🙂 )

Apologies to all. Maybe 50 made any sense.

22. AA Champion 2014 says:

Chas
    Oooo, good point. Add in Duck’s comments and maybe, just maybe 🙂

23. He who needs to get a proper job says:

Mind you, the fact that Arnie (probably the busiest man alive) came in with 5000 comments, proves the very true old adage.

If you want something done, ask someone busy 🙂

24. The One Liner Rules says:

Ok, so has anyone ever heard of this Mrio Suarez that Rasp is on about?
    I’ll go look him up for any fellow ignoramusii

I didn’t even get a podium position on the comments 😦

Must cut back on the holidays and put in more AA time

According to some site or other, his strengths are in the air, his weaknesses are discipline and concentration.

Sounds a bit thick if you ask me.

Fear not Big. It’s going to be Gold in the Posts Comp.

Right, I need to powder my nose and climb into the silks and satins.

Off out for a bloody long evening. Effing cosmic 😦

Catch you all bright and early in the New Year. I plan to be 10-0 up in next years competition before dawn breaks 🙂

what I want to know is how you guys are celebrating New Year?
    I think I went to about 4 or 5 NY parties in all my life, so tonight is no exception and I should start the upstairs climb at about 10pm

a bit thick 🙂 like me, no discipline or concentration

Must win game tomorrow?

Eddie. I am taking my trusty travelling guitar (a cedar-top Takamine) and Mrs Raddy to a NYE dinner party. About 15 guests (flu-dependent). A couple of guitarists, a few glasses of champagne, a 4 course dinner with fine wines, lots of songs and dancing, midnight firework display, more singing and dancing, a rip-off taxi home in the early hours.

Same as every NYE

Then up late to write a delayed pre-match

BTW A very happy New Year to all the AA’ers.

Wishing you all a year full of good health, adventure and silverware

AA Champion 2014
    I defer to your effulgent verbosity.

Hmmm, me too.

Wishing you all a year full of good health, fun and silverware.

Raddy – that sounds lovely, I am almost envious

Happy New Year Gunners! Let’s hope the next year will bring us lots of trophies

Eddie
    Me and New Year’s don’t get on so I don’t participate.

What time will the upstairs climb finish?

The bookies can barely split us and Soton.
    The chavs are odds on at Shite Hart lane.
    The mancs should be forced to wear Arsenal shirts at Stoke just to make it fair.

Yeah, BR, stop making all that hippy shit sound appealing.

monster – why are you asking about me going upstairs? I am scared to answer in case it is some filthy trap.

And I am being a bit thick tonight – why should Mancs wear our shirts?

Our proper NY was on Dec 21st. That is when we blow the Horn of Plenty and dance around the stone circles before retreating to the communal gong-bath and chanting.

Of course other stuff happens but you lot are not initiated into the Circle of Truth and as such my lips are sealed

Tonight is just a party.

A Happy and more importantly a Healthy New Year to all my kind friends on AA.

Hopefully I will be back on here.

2014 has been a year that hasn’t been kind to us. God Bless.

Kelsey 🙂 happy happy to you too xx

And god bless you Kelsey.

See you next year.

42. The Cockie Monster says:

Happy and Healthy New Year !.

43. The Cockie Monster says:

Up The

Mancs to wear our shirts because Stoke raise their game by 30% against us because our club were so hateful to poor Ryan. (the shirts might fool them)

Welcome to my life, I love you forever…

46. The Cockie Monster says:

Predictions for 2015 !.

One minute into 2015…..I bet we haven`t bought anyone !……Wenger is a bastard at dragging his heals !. hahaha

no chas, that’s not good enough reason. I would absolutely HATE seeing van Judas in our shirt, yuk yuk yuk

48. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually !…..I reckon if Arsene was confronted by you, Eddie, wearing your DM`s and Knuckledusters and you politely asked him to buy a DM……..by this time tomorrow, he will have signed…..Pat Butcher !. hahahaha

Catharsis
    (great ball by Gilberto with his left foot)

Definitely shinned it. 🙂

but I don’t want a DM, I’d much rather an FB

are tomorrow’s games of the box?

52. The Cockie Monster says:

Rather a FB !……………Bellerin , Debauchery, Monreal, Gibbs, Chambers, Jenkinson ………how many Effing FB`s do we need ?………oh, I see, it`s like a woman collecting shoes !. 😀

54. wally says:

A healthy and prosperous New Year to all

56. ytehjnnh says:

Wenger is a despicable evil man is their no end to his bile.

Ytehjnnh AKA troll – “is their no end” is grammatically incorrect. Surely you meant “are their long ends” of even ” is their nose end”

58. The Cockie Monster says:

I don’t know !……maybe ytehjnnh has a point !……it`s 01: 09 and Wenger still hasn`t bought anyone, he should be sacked for gross misconduct !…..or at least be imprisoned for managing a football club and not being in control of a zipper !.

59. arnie says:

Happy Hogmanay everyone. This is a good likeness of where we were this midnight. 🙂

60. arnie says:

a bit emotional really. this may be the final time we were celebrating Hogmanay in a traditional Scottish way. Next year onwards it may be more like this:

61. arnie says:

This is a few years old, but we were in the studio. 😛

62. arnie says:

Happy New Year Kelsey, happy new Year everyone.

It has been a great journey this year on AA. Thanks to everyone but especially to Peaches and Rasp. 🙂 🙂 🙂 onwards and upwards. 🙂

63. arnie says:

you are very generous, Evonne. 🙂 am I really that funny? probably not! 😛

Micky. “probably the busiest man alive”? Obviously not. 😛 just an argumentative and grumpy old(ish) man. 🙂

64. arnie says:

Day before yesterday in Edinburgh. We were in the crowd. 🙂

65. arnie says:

Here is a link between my past and my present.

66. goonermichael says:

Happy New Year Everyone. xx

Happy New Year One and All.

Seized opportunities, banked memories and health.

As always thanks to Peaches and Rasp, and how about three cheers to Raddy. Two PM’s virtually every week is phenomenal.
    And Kelsey, hope you are on the mend and back to your duties sharpish.

How Good it is to be a Gunner.

Right

Transfer news and smut 🙂

Morning all, and a Happy New Year.

It’s weird I have had less time to blog having taken a few days off work! What’s that tell you 🙂

Raddy I think my wish would be for a younger DM and another youngish CB. I was looking at BBCGossip and there was a summary of players we are apparently interested in an stheir ages. Khedira 29, Carvalho 23 and various others. Picking a player who is 29 means experience especially from the likes of Khedira, but surely that would mean an exit for Mikel Arteta. Koscielny and BFG are both nearing 30 fast. How long can Koscielny keep his pace?

I noticed Tyrone Mings was down as CB/LB, would be a typical Arsene signing.

We have two squads pots left for over 21, they can be homegrown or overseas.

Our current squad does not include Ox, Sanogo, Chambers, Gnabry or Bellerin. Or those out on loan like Jenkinson.

So best we can hope for is two players unless Arsene is planning to sell Pod or Campbell or surprise us by not naming Diaby.

Anyway transfer bollox can wait, most importantly is to start the New Year with a win and start the title push 😀

blimey, you guys don’t waste any time! The year has just started and the blog is already full of gossip, speculations and some smut 🙂

good call micky – Raddy is a diamond geezer, solid as a rock; we should all chip in and buy him some ganja. Thank you BigRaddy!!!!

Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone. Without you – the commenters – there would be no community and I would have no-one to nag 😉 so thanks to you all for your input.

As arnie says ‘onwards and upwards’

A massive thanks to BR for a million and one pre-match belters.

ah Peaches, as usual graceful and dignified 🙂 you could at least say something along the lines ‘yeah, it is hard work, but I am glad it is appreciated’! Moan woman, being cheerful all the time will get you nowhere with men

74. Sorry Eddie, being cheerful is what I do but you’re right about it not impressing the guys, clearly they just love to be moaned at 😉

it’s not that they love nagging, but they conditioned to expect it. Probably don’t know what to do with a cheerful/easy going woman

what shall I do – this afternoon I can watch our team, as I always do or I can go and see Bubba…..no contest really, someone will have to tell me how to record the game 🙂

ha ha ha ha, Fat Frank will stay 3 months longer with City,just to make sure Chelsea don’t win the league, fan-bloody-tastic. They laughed at us selling Judas to ManU

I’d better go or I will dethrone arnie

78. The game isn’t on TV Eddie 😦

Ok, enough of the niceities

“Raddy, you bloody hippy…..’king wake up yer lazy bastard”

He was carousing until dawn.
    Midday is my guess.

Here are a few facts.

With the possible exception of Americans, the British are the only people in the world who can write pop/rock.

Sooo, Raddy takes his guitar to a party of Danish people who have no songs of their own. They all like easy listening pop in English.

No prizes for guessing which Bands’ music he played.

Those are the facts. Here’s the variable.

Did he Yellow Submarine them?

Morning all, Happy New Year and thanks to one and all 🙂

83. poigmothoin says:

Chas a lesson in how to ruin a terrible song. 🙂

Steady on Chas

A far less tolerant Didit is what there is in 2015.

The git gave up smoking today, so fuses will be short 🙂

Well done Micky, stick with it – you know it makes sense 🙂

Good luck.
    E-cigarettes?
    Patches?
    Cold Turkey?

If this site has a fault, and it does, the blame lays firmly at the feet of whoever’s idea it was to appoint an ‘effing hippy as site PM’er.

Oh well, we are where we are, and have to live with it I guess.

As you say Chas, we could be looking at midday. Dawn broke with you know who floating in a vat of alcohol. That’s if you could see him through the dense cloud of smoke

Thanks Chas and Rasp. Needed. I’ve always said if smoking ever effects what I like doing then that’s it. It is now.

37 quality years though 🙂

Thanks for the thanks.

It is a bleary eyed BR who attempts to write this morning. The PM will probably be even more bolleaux than usual.

Didit. Only one song by “that group”, unsurprisingly Norwegian Wood.

Loved arnie’s vids of the sweeties NY parties. I was on the train home at 3.30 this morning and got accosted by a very drunk Scotsman carrying the traditional can of Heavy. The rest of the passengers were cowering whereas I first -footed the drunkard. We became firm friends.

Micky. Beating the fags is tough but well within the remit of a man of your tincture.

I am 9 years ciggie-free today

91. arnie says:

Motning all.

Nice batner. Thanks a million times, Raddy. 🙂

92. arnie says:

No plan to kick the habit. Yet. Ah, bliss. 😛

Arnie 🙂

Anytime before Kick Off is fine Raddy 🙂

We have a ……

very quiet drum roll followed by a dampened cymbal crash …..

New Post