Time for War Pigs

The second game of the busy festive period is upon us, and a trip to Aston Villa and the odorous Alex McLeish awaits. Villa fans have not warmed to their new manager and his style of football. He has turned them into Birmingham of 2010-11 and so far they have managed four wins from sixteen games scoring only 18 goals. They have though like McLeish’s former charges become the draw specialists and no doubt he will set his side up in the traditional Routemaster formation.

This is often the type of game that we have been known to take too lightly in the past, often featuring numerous changes to the team and resulting in a disjointed and difficult to watch performance. Last season Wigan away over the Christmas period was a case in point. If the boss needs more recent proof of why he should not over rotate it is the Olympiakos away game where the team sent out never got going, no matter that it was a dead rubber.

For these reasons I hope Arsène will make no more than two or three changes and do the same for the rest of the games in the festive period to provide rest for the big players over the period but still maintaining the core of the side. One change for this game has been forced upon us by suspension and one by injury.

Tonight I would line up as follows:

We need all the attacking quality we can muster, although part of me expects Wenger to start Arshavin in place of Gervinho. Perhaps because it is away from the glare of the Emirates crowd it would be more beneficial to Arshavin’s confidence to start tonight rather than at home against Wolves.

Whatever team takes the field tonight they will need to be up for the fight and to continue the drive we saw from them on Sunday, Villa may be lacking in technical craft but they have players that will do their best to outmuscle the new look Arsenal, especially across the back four and they will certainly be sent out fired up by McLeish. Given and Bent, both so often tormentors of the good guys, are missing as is Herd, and Collins is struggling to make the game. The biggest blow for Arsenal is that Heskey is also unavailable which means they may have more mobility in midfield and final third than anticipated.

It is important the result is secured early on, we need to conserve energy reserves for the next three games so a fast start with a couple of goals before half time will be a perfect tonic. A win is a must to continue our pursuit of the Champions League spots.

To continue with tradition of Inventors hailing from the home of our opponents I have unfortunately struggled to come up with any worthy men from the tiny Birmingham suburb named Aston……well that is apart from the fateful day in 1969 when Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward and Ozzy Osborne decided a band called Earth was a bit rubbish and reinvented themselves as Black Sabbath and gave birth to Heavy Metal. Rock on to three points.

Written by Gooner In Exile

258 Responses to Time for War Pigs

Excellent pre-match GIE

I am looking forward to the game, we will see what they are made of tonight.

2. Now we learn that Gibbs has suffered a β€œsetback in his rehab”, Wenger must at the very least sign a left-back on loan. Wayne Bridge is surplus to requirements at the Oilers. He could be just what we are looking for, England International and bags of Premiership experience.

Sign him up Maestro!

GiE,
    Love the inside info on the Villa. Although I agree with your line up, my goodness we must have a few in the Red Zone. There is a point at which freshness may be more valuable than quality, so I would not be supprised to see Benny or Rosicky (available?).
    Biggest question of the day for me: Did any members of Black Sabbath sport a beard? Naturally, I assume they did’nt wash, so just maybe the filthy bastards were too lazy to shave as well. I live in hope.

4. Jason says:

Please take it easy on us tonight.I can’t handle a 6 nil thumping.,

5. harry says:

Nice one GIE………

Agree with the line up and i cannot see how he will field any different to that.

God forbid, your little part is right and he starts Arshavin, for me Gervinho had a very good game against City and feel wenger must let him find consistency through a run of games, and with him off to ACN, makes sense to use him fully prior to his departure.

As for Arshavin, I would send him house hunting in St Petersburg, I would rather Benayoun get a run out………

I also want to the Ox on the bench, and for him to start getting some minutes on the pitch, we need options on the bench that can really change a game, unlike AA and MC, who both have lost their confidence, we havent got the luxury of been able to nurture them along to regain it.

I would trust the exuberance of youth, to show no fear and add pace and a directness if needed, Ox and maybe even Miyachi could come on if needed.

I would go for the team as above and this bench:

Almunia, Coquelin, Ox, Ryo, Benayoun, Rosicky and Park.

I fancy Ramsey scoring tonight, think he has been having a great season and isnt getting the credit he deserves…..

6. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Well done GiE,
    Line up looks about right, may be Cog for Pong ?.
    Reading Kelsey earlier, ” 3 bad results and we`ll be playing catch up with the top 3 “, I think 3 bad results and we wave CL spot goodbye !. 😦
    Agree, we wont buy a FB, maybe on one in on loan.
    Without thinking too hard ( as my back is giving me gip ) from past, our 2 most expensive signing`s have been (hope i`m right ) Reyes and Arshavin (?), does anyone think this might be Arsene`s problem with spending Β£30+M, as these two have not really cut it and he is worried he might waste money again ? .

GliC,
    MC is no world beater, and he was free.

Morning morning,

Excellent pre-match, thanks GiE.

We must not get ‘Paranoid’ about tonight as victory should be a formality if we send out a strong balanced team. Paradoxically we could win and drop a place in the table as pool who are away to Wigan are on the same points and GD, so we need to outscore them to remain in 5th

9. Gooner In Exile says:

On the other hand Rasp an 8-0 win puts us in 4th until Chavs beat Spuds (in all honesty a bore draw from that one is best for us).

Thanks for comments. GLIC you’re right Coq could easily play in place of Pong, for me I’d rather start Pong and if he picks up a yellow and looks like getting a second replace with Coq. That only makes sense if the alternative is bringing Pong on as sub for a tired Coq and having the possibility of picking up a cheap yellow in eagerness to get in the game and then walking a tightrope.

Like Harry I would like to see Ox but part of me winders whether Wenger is trying to protect him from the overhype that Theo was subjected to.

10. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    Lets hope he doesn`t save us loads of dosh with more “quality” freebees like MC then. πŸ™‚

11. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Get your point GiE. I also wondered what the best Chav/Spud result should be, the complex decisions of being a gooner !

12. Thanks the the preview GiE – and in answer to MdI89’s question, while generally at least three of the band sproted staches I can recall their original drummer, Bill Ward, having a bearded phase.

If Mcleish does go for the Routemaster approach, it’ll simply be a symptomn of the universe.

If our midfield can make our slick passing game into a state of technical ecstasy then we can be the eteranl idols of the Premier League.

OK, that’s enough Sabbath references there.

13. Veronica says:

I hate Walcott. What a prissy, pussy, poofy effort against Citee. The great one trick pony. Ahh, no use running at 1,000 mph to the corner flag you buffoon. And what was that American fist to fist with Hart after his one cameo? I’m too cool for school? I’m the new Henry. Please! What’s up his bottom? He walked around with a petulance that desrved a slap across the head. Go and join Nasri, Clichy and Bendtner in another team. Wenger is not a genius. He is the luckiest man in the world. His buys are lucky. He coaches a top team. I could coach Arsenal better than him. Just pass the ball on the ground and work it in triangles. Don’t worry about covering Balotelli, corners, free-kicks defensive duties at corners and do not even think you will ever score a free goal from a corner. Just make sure your score the aesthetic goal. Unfortunately or even fortuntely a flick on from a Delap throw can beat this side. He is on more money than his players. His tactical and strategic acumen is terrible. His substitutional awareness is fourth division level. Arshavin. Back to Siberia. What a waste. More interested in fashion and dumping on London as being expensive than playing. How much money does he make? Another walker like Walcott. By the way, the Barcelona players do not walk, they run their guts out. That’s the difference. Add Diaby and Djourou to that list as well. Bring back Joel Campbell and Vela for some guts and grit. When oh when have they ever strung a series of games together to give Arsenal some impetus, stability and power. Never. Bye bye. We already know there was a mutiny last summer. But not everyone has walked the plank. Wenger is not irreplaceable. How hard is to manage a team to pass the ball on the ground and work it in triangles. You are playing City. You lose because of a stupid goal where Song is solo defending Balotelli at the right back position on just inside the box. Attack together and defend togehter. Where is the teams sense of time and space and positional acumen. I better not lose the ball or give a stray pass here because my back four are on walkabout. So keep it or retreat. Invade in force and defend in force. No we don’t know what is going on behind us so give the ball away and before you know it Balotelli is one on one in teh box against a player on the verge of a red card. Steve Kean could manage Arsenal. Wenger is a CEO not a manager. Because only CEO are cowards and hide behind other’s mistakes (Arsenal need to consolidate financially) and blame others (the super rich of Citee, Manure, Liverpool, and Chelsea). That is Wenger. If he were a coach he would accept that Diaby, Djourou, Bendtner, Clichy, Nasri, Fabianski, Mannone, Park etc and on an on are not fit to play. He is a double-faced slime. How can he complain that money has changed the game and blame the billionaires for changing the game so that Arsenal are out-priced and out-palyed when that is a fact of modern football and more importantly how can he accept 6-7 million pounds a year to manage a team while he complains about the influence of money on the game and on Arsenal’s performance against big-money teams. Fergie said that Keane was having difficulties as a coach. Yes. But let’s swap them and see what happens. Just bring on Guardiola. he said he does not want to be at Barca all his life. I think he would enjoy Arsenal.

Morning Veronica – hope you’re relieved now you’ve got that off your chest πŸ˜‰

GiE,
    Absolutely nothing I’ve learnt about Ox leads me to think he needs protecting. An Ox afterall. He’s old enough to start getting playing time imo.
    GliC,
    If it were any other two teams above us, then yes the draw, but tonight it has to be a Spurs loss.

16. Wow, that’s quite a comment there Veronica, enough for a headline post.

I’ve hinted that when Pep’s had enough of Barca then a move ot our beloved club would suit him at some stage in the future.

bit harsh on Theo maybe, he seems to have been more consistent this season than of late.

I have some sympathy with Veronica’s view of Walcott’s behaviour in the city game. He did seem to be slightly in awe of the billionaires and almost flirting with their players. I don’t believe he is as loyal to The Arsenal as some would wish.

Veronica,
    Please please please could you let rip on someone you really, really hate. Come on, you can be elevated to Heroine Status as far as I’m concerned. Start with Gordon Brown if you like πŸ™‚

Blimey, she’s gone away to carry out my wish. Cannot wait.

20. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    Is that because, the only other important result that gets us jumping for joy ,is a Spuds loss !. Are you thinking with your head or heart ?. F**k it, lose you spud bastards !. πŸ™‚

When are they making a decision on the Boxing Day fixture?

22. No, Mdi89, I want a fellow Fergie hater – a far more deserving sweaty receiver of vitriol than a one eyed politician.

GliC,
    There is that, of course, but I actually believe Spuds are a bigger threat than Chelsea.

Chary,
    Absolutely anyone would do. Whatever rocks Veronica’s boat. I may not agree with everything she says, but Wow.

25. TotalArsenal says:

GiE thanks for a brilliant pre-match. Top stuff, and thanks for the Black Sabbath song. I had not listened to that for at least 25 years and it brought back memories.

I fear this will be a tough battle with a big risk of further injuries. If Rosicky is fit, I would prefer us to give Ramsey a rest, and I would not mind if we start with The Ox instead of Walcott, but I reckon your line-up is pretty near to what Wenger will put out.

1-2 to Arsenal COYRRG!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

26. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    Totally agree, they are 5 points in front of us with a game in hand, everyone expects them to fall away in the 2nd half of the season, but i see no evidence of that yet, the bastards are looking good ( i feel like slapping myself in the face for saying that, yes i know there`s a queue behind me ! ) 😦

I was enjoying reading Veronica’s tirade until she started laying into Wenger; nevertheless, still a top drawer rant.

28. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I enjoyed Veronica`s hissy fit aswell LB, and agree with her Guardiola comment, but only when Arsene goes on his own terms !

29. TotalArsenal says:

Veronica, TMHT would be an excellent therapist for you.

30. gooner lost in cornwall says:

CPS decision on “grassmuncher” today !

31. Red Arse says:

Veronica it is quite clear that you love Arsenal, and your adoration of Arsene and Walcott is all very well, but you have to face up to their deficiencies as well as drooling all over them.

Next time be a bit more hard hitting about their failings, please!

32. Total, great diminishing chord riff for the chorus on War pigs – paved the way for the likes of Slayer, Megadeth etc and the whole detuning your axe a half step down thing.

33. Red Arse says:

Sorry for not commending you earlier on a very detailed and interesting pre-match.

Not sure where Portugal, Ireland Greece and Spain (aka PIGS) come into it tho’! πŸ™‚

34. Red Arse says:

Oh, OK got it — you had not accidentally missed out the comma after War.

Time for War, Pigs! Sounded like a clarion call to wipe out Villa! πŸ™‚ Maybe you did!

35. Gooner In Exile says:

To be fair they may as well just use Veronicas post as the comments page at a certain other blog, after all it pretty much surmises most of the clueless guff that gets spouted there as truth. There may have been some gems but hidden amongst a truck full of horsemuck.

Just one point that really miffs me:

Would anyone here be happy if the staff that worked under them were paid more than them?

Further still, would you appreicate being paid less than someone who is not accountable in the same way you are for your section/dept/business performance?

When did players being paid more than managers become the norm, I am pretty sure it wasn’t always the case and personally I don’t know why anyone thinks it should be.

As for the rest of it I’m not going to bother except “Vela to add guts and grit”….really? “Bring back Joel Campbell”….the player Wenger signed and unfortunately hasn’t got a work permit?…and finally “Steve Kean could manage Arsenal” well yes he could, he could show us just how crap he really is, I think i’d top myself if that happened though.

36. Gooner In Exile says:

RA I was kind of referring that we needed to be War Pigs….whatever a War Pig is……ok the truth is I just needed to shoehorn in a musical title and it fit with todays Inventors 😳

37. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Total,
    Glad you didn`t make a mistake and put a gap between the e and r (therapist ) on your 11:39 comment, that would have been embarrasing ! 😳

38. boyo says:

I Want a spurs loss and a Rosicky and Yossi Start

39. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Is Rosicknote fit ?

Hi GiE,

I agree with you about Veronica’s comment, but I think as a new visitor we were right to treat her with Christmas cheer and admire the sheer ferocity of her rant – we’ve all felt that way, just not shared her opinions πŸ˜†

41. Our award winning Czech midfielder was on the bench on Sunday GliC – so is avaialable tonight.

GiE – if you’re interested War Pig is a vaguely anti-war song describing the horrors of it and the madness of the “leaders” of armies, probably influenced by events of the Vietnam war when it was written.

42. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp to your 12:13pm I say Bah humbug! πŸ˜€

To Chary at 12:17pm I say 😳 I’ll admit I’m not a heavy metallist, but i like the riff so i will now go back and listen more intently to the lyrics (if i can make them out from the screaming). However your explantation makes it more apt as we certainly have one mad leader inspiring his troops to atrocities tonight.

“Our award winning Czech midfielder was on the bench on Sunday”
    chary. Was that in casualty.?

As someone else said we can’t afford anymore injuries otherwise Almunia might be playing in the holding role

44. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey somehow I’d rather him there than in the sticks πŸ™‚

45. No Kelsy, Rosickly was one of the actual, named subs.
    GiE – Ozzy can’t sing butI don’t think he ever pretended he could. He’s just a good frontman/show man.
    We all know the king of metal vocalists is Rob Halford.

46. Arsedave says:

wow veronica, what other topics do you do?

The reason we let the goal in is because Song didn’t defend as he should have been coached. He should have been side on or half turned showing him to the outside hence narrowing his angle all the time.

Great stuff GIE, i agree with everything you say. Must admit, ime desperate to beat that orrible numpty Mcleish.(Something about that mans boat fillls me with loathing and dread). That Man City game was a right old battle and my only concern is that we might dip physicaly.

TA, your comment has given me an idea for a novel. The mild mannered, charming, slightly balding Therapist who encounters a genius but insane scientist called Redders who injects him with an experimental drug which turns him into “The Rapist” of award winning livestock, based somewere in the Cornwall region.

48. Red Arse says:

GIE, you know I was only teasing! πŸ™‚

Micky, is your imminent departure to Canadian Canada likely to be permanent?

CharyB, it was only a short sentence, but it’s amazing how many incorrect statements can be shoe-horned in!! πŸ™‚

–“We all know (yeah, right) the king of metal vocalists (what is a metal vocalist?) is Rob Halford. (who he?)”

Apart from that, CharyB, I think it was OK!! πŸ™‚

49. gunnern5 says:

Ra, What is “Canadian Canada”?

Talking about Veronica and that other site, from over here that other site is down with the last post on the 18th december in a new format.

I also have a horrible feeling that Spurs will turn over Chelsea.
    if anyone has imploded this season it is them but not much is said.

loan deals what abot Carroll for chamakh, no i suppose that wouldn’t work with Suarez being banned.

51. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, technically it is probably not the best metal I have ever heard, but it is still good. It just made me think again about those girls-sparce nights in heavy metal clubs, where all the adolescent boys/men would pretend they were the drummer or (base)guitarist of Sabbath, or simply head-banging whilst holding a glass of beer and a fag in one hand πŸ™‚

52. TotalArsenal says:

G5, how do you feel about Canada’s environmental record/stance?

From wiki:

Withdrawal of CanadaIn 2010, Canada, Japan and Russia stated that they would not take on further Kyoto targets.[59] The Canadian government invoked Canada’s legal right to formally withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol on December 12, 2011.[60] Canada was committed to cutting its greenhouse emissions to 6% below 1990 levels by 2012, but in 2009 emissions were 17% higher than in 1990. Environment minister Peter Kent cited Canada’s liability to “enormous financial penalties” under the treaty unless it withdrew.[59][61] He also suggested that the recently signed Durban agreement may provide an alternative way forward.[62]

Canada’s decision was strongly criticised by representatives of other signatory countries, including France and China. A spokesperson for the island nation of Tuvalu, significantly threatened by rising sea levels, accused Canada of an “act of sabotage” against his country. Australian government minister Greg Combet, however, defended the decision, saying that it did not mean Canada would not continue to “play its part in global efforts to tackle climate change”.[62]

53. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5,

Just a play on the French France adjective, sometimes used, a la Welsh Wales etc.

I do not know which part of Canada Micky is moving to, so I did not want to say French Canada (Quebec) or British Canada (British Columbia) and copped out with Canadian Canada.

I know ……. boring! πŸ™‚

54. TotalArsenal says:

TMHT, I think your idea for the novel is too mundane/everyday πŸ™‚

GLiC, see what you have done with splitting the word?

55. Yeah, I should be a spin doctor Redders – their specialism is to cram as much misinformation into press releases as possible, espcially tucked away in unobtrusive lines of text.

Sabbath aren’t my favourites TotalA, but they have hit the spot some times, the “girls-sparse nights in heavy metal clubs” – takes me back; good times, The Adam & Eve club, Leeds, circa 1985.

56. thanks for the great preview GiE, great read like all of your comments. Loved the one you wrote after the man city game.

@ RA

haha strictly come dancing, never heard of it until you mentioned it.

@ LB

agree with your comments about Ramsey, i payed a lot of attention to his game the other day, and boy can he play. His engine rivals jenks, and when he pieces his game together we have one hell of a quality player on our hands. That’ll teach you fergie for not meeting with him in person…W*nka

57. TotalArsenal says:

TMHT, Simon could be a good name for Red Arse in your novel. The link below should provide you with some inspiration to start your novel.

‘Simon spent the day mooooo-ving around them all and getting to know each cow – from Lilac and Lill to Susie and Stephanie!
    β€œThis was a really fun job and I loved working with these ladies, they were definitely unique characters. Each cow really did have a personality of its own and I hope that I’ve done that justice’

Thinking about it, this sounds a lot more like GLiC than Red Arse. I would make the former the main character in your novel: Simon Lost in Cornwallopers!

58. Santa ClauOZ says:

Excited about the game, very thankful bent isn’t playing, sick of him popping up against us! I’d bring in coq, and rosicky and give ramsey a rest.

0-2 to the gunners

59. TotalArsenal says:

Good to see you so pOZitive Santa!

60. Santa ClauOZ says:

the glass is always half full TA, i was amazed at how well the boys played against man city. Add in some fullbacks, jack, and a theo on his game and we would of taken them apart. As someone said chuck TV in as striker he is lethal! Gerv and ramsey really impressed me, as for villa…easy!

nite all off to slumber before the game

hahhaha, brilliant TA.

Calling all budding match report officiando’s ….. WE NEED ONE! for tomorrow …. pretty please πŸ˜•

63. Does anyone know when the FA are finally going to make a ruling on the John Terry/Anton Ferdiand incident ?

64. TotalArsenal says:

Oz, they did very well and we had almost as many shots on target as Citeh – and we were playing away. Plenty to build on, but today is another big test of stamina, hunger and togetherness!

….apply now or I’ll let Veronica write it 😳 ……..

66. I would oblige Raspers but I don’t have Sky Sports so won’t see the game.
    Can I volunteer Sharkey for the match report ? πŸ™‚

67. ..in answer to my 2.06pm, it appears “this afternoon” is when the FA will speak.
    I’m going crackers, answering my own questions, talking to myself.

68. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Your cunning use of the descriptor “aficionado” implies someone who likes writing Posts …….. whew ……. that lets me out!! πŸ™‚

Haha chary, I’ve been trying to remember the name of the rival heavy metal band who were around about the time Sabbath started that had a similarly biblical name

Aaaawww RA, couldn’t you make an exception since it’s Christmas? πŸ˜› surely you don’t want the wrath of Veronica to be exorcised on us again tomorrow.

71. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

You are another of the top tier multi-talented AAers! Qualified accountant, Fergie Hater General, and Heavy Metal Supremo. πŸ™‚

72. Ha ha ha, the CPS has authorised the prosecution of John Terry and he WILL face criminal charges !!!!

73. Raspers, there have been bands called Testament and Exodus, but they are much later.

I’m just a floundering vagabond Redders and don’t really know where my interests are fixed on, a bit of this a bit of that.

Back to JT, he’ll be charged with a racially aggravated public order offence, due in court 1st Feb 2012. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy – is Wayne Bridge laughing now ?

74. dandan says:

GIE excellent stuff as usual thank s a lot . Think we shall be ok today, nice run of fixtures ahead so expect to see us in steady does it mode with a fair bit of rotation. Wayne Bridge would be a good shout for Wenger he has much to prove and boy is he rested..
    Please tell that Kelsey not to be so flippant he is not allowed to do Happy on Here πŸ™‚
    GIE many sales managers live with the fact that their top men will out earn them in fact they want them too, as it bumps there own income up, Managers basic may be bigger but total package will be spread over total sales team.
    Veronica aint heard a rant like that since a friend of mine went out to bat with a wasp trapped in his box, alongside his wedding tackle. πŸ™‚

75. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

I apologise for teasing you, altho the promise of Veronica does appeal. πŸ™‚

I am going out tonight with a visiting cousin from NY, and won’t see the match, so I cannot help. Sorry.

76. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan,

Hope the Mrs is feeling better.

I thought of you, a couple of days ago, when I thought (for a second) that a TV reporter had referred to you. He actually mentioned Dandong, from where he was reporting on the death of the North Korean President.

As it is Xmas, he might have said “Dandan has ding dong in dandong” — but he did not!! πŸ™‚

77. Gooner In Exile says:

It’s actually a shame from a football sense that Terry has been charged by the CPS as I’m pretty sure the FA can do nothing until the criminal case is over. If Terry does lots of stalling tactics he won’t be facing FA charges (and bans) until much later.

78. Gooner In Exile says:

Hi DD hadn’t thought about Sales Managers…..good point.

Hope you are right about the straightforward fixtures. I’m just a little fearful of a slip up or two.

79. If Terry is convicted it will open a vacancy in the England squad as I can’t see him ever being allowed to wear The Three Lions again.

80. So the FA won’t do anything unitl the CPS case is over ? With the usual stalling/waffling lawyers engage there might not be nay resolution(or FA bans) till next summer! And Suarez gets banned straight away ?
    That’s annoying.
    Lifelong – the max sentence possible is a Β£2.5k fine – that’s the equivalent of just one dodgy tour round the Chav training complex, or a sale of a few g’s for his dad.

81. Does anyone know who has travelled for the game today – I hope Coquelin is in the squad as I want him to play at right back

82. C1966,

It seems strange that Suarez has been tried, convicted and sentenced yet the FA have waited for the outcome of the police enquiry into Terry’s case. Was there no police involvement with Suarez? If there wasn’t then presumably they decided there was no case to answer, so why did the FA go ahead.

It seems that the lack of police involvement suggests there are grounds for Suarez to appeal.

Liverpool FC have a fair point in asking when Evra is going to be charged with racially abusing Suarez.

Racial abuse should have no part in modern life let alone in a mere game of football, anyone found guilty of such an offense deserves everything they get.

83. Arsenal expect to find out today if their home game against Wolves on Boxing Day will go ahead.

The club are considering moving the game back 24 hours due to a proposed tube drivers’ strike called by union Aslef.

London Underground are challenging Aslef’s strike in the High Court today and Arsenal are expected to base their decision on whether the game goes ahead on the hearing.

84. evonne says:

GiE – how the hell did you end up as a boring accountant??? Complete and utter waste of talent!! Thank you sweetie for fab prematch!

85. It baffles me LifelongG – from a selfish Arsenal point of view I’d like ot see JT slapped with a hefty ban, say 12 games or so as that would help us.

The FA are going have to decide what they do next with JT very carefully; no doubt they’ll cods up the situation as per usual.

86. evonne says:

Veronica wants Guardiola and nobody ripped her apart for that, whereas I was eaten alive for such suggestion. Not fair 😦

Micky – an Ox afterall, brilliant! Yes, I rate him very highly and wished he was played on regular basis. Cesc played every game at 17 and didn’t suffer too many injuries as a result, so.

John Terry is the kind of knob that if he were around during medieval times he would be in the stocks every day having yokals pelting him with rotten fruit and veg. He would also have a boil the size of a golf ball protruding from his cheek and another boil the size of a tennis ball on his arse.

88. Gooner In Exile says:

LG, i think there are subtleties as the complaint made to Police about Terry was by a member of public not the offended against. He has been charged with a “racially aggravated public order offence.”

I think if Evra had complained to the police then perhaps Suarez too would have been hauled up. But I think this one for Terry comes under the CPS mainly because the number of people watching on TV.

Finally I doubt whether Terry is found guilty or not by courts has any bearing on his subsequent FA punishment, now they have set precedence with Suarez case.

This is the brief summing up of the Suarez case:

1) Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
    2) the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
    3) Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of Β£40,000;
    4) the [penalty] is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.

So basically Terry is screwed from a FA persepctive.

89. fatgingergrinch says:

I think Rosicky could get a game tonight. Arteta has played a lot this season and Rosicky was playing well before his recent injury. The games are coming thick n fast and although we would all love to see the strongest 11 every week, there has to be games where a few changes are made

90. Gie,

The FA were right to await the outcome of the police enquiry as had they not done so and found Terry guilty it would have been hugely prejudicial to his subsequent trial. On a more sceptical note, by waiting for the outcome of the trial they do not have to convict Terry, (convict Terry, has a certain ring to it) merely apply there own punishment for bringing the game into disrepute.

A win, win situation for the FA.

91. Jamie says:

Nice post today.

Anybody know of anywhere in islington where i can watch tonight’s game on foreign telly?

Not the twelve pins if possible.

My team would be;
    Gervinho Van Persie Walcott
    Ramsey
    Arteta Frimpong
    Miguel Vermealen Mertesacker Koscielny
    Sir Chesney

Don’t mess around resting people. This is the hardest game of the three coming up.

Don’t play Arshavin, Don’t play Squillaci, Don’t play Rosicky and Don’t play Chamakh.

92. So, in summary, no FA punishment for JT till February at the earliest ?

93. C1966,

If I was, God forbid, a cynic I would not expect to see any FA action before the Euros.

94. Gooner In Exile says:

If I was a betting man Jamie I would suggest that a domestic residence in Oakwood area could well be airing the game.

I have yet to figure out how to do it yet so remain distinctly jealous of others ……. i know i know liveonline footy blah blah blah 😦

95. Red Arse says:

TerryM,

You might appreciate this one.

My friend said to me;

“I got a new fangled stick deodorant today.
    The instructions said: Remove cap and push up bottom.

I can barely walk now, but whenever I fart the room smells lovely.”

96. gooner lost in cornwall says:

TMHT,
    Did you base your novel idea on my neighbour ? sounds like him !
    TA,
    Your Kelly`s Cow`s vid is a dating site for lonely cornish farmer`s, I only live next to them and have not had the privilage to be invited to their allnighter`s . I think i have to be here 50 years to be partially accepted not my 20 years , damn, them beautiful come to bed eye`s !

97. Nick says:

I believe I read “Veronica’s” little diatribe earlier on another blog (verbatim) only the person posting there was named Sarah.

I think we need to keep Gervinho in and on the pitch as much as we can while he’s still with us. He needs to score a few. Seems like he wants to pass more instead of taking his shot (Theo does it too).

Games like tonight are where we need to get a couple goals before the half then put them
    To the sword in the second half.

haha, i do Redders, nothing better than a good buttocks joke. I have a doctor friend who told me whilst he was working at A&E, some geezer addmitted himself in with a rather large carrott embedded in his butt, his excuse?…………he had a terrible itch and the carrot was the first thing that came to mind.

Cornwall, your neighbour sounds like he needs to be watched at all times. hahhah.

100. gunnern5 says:

TA, Re Canada’s stance on Kyoto.

My views on politics and religon are just that – my views – and they remain private.

101. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, you weren’t thinking of Uriah Heep (other metal band)?

GLiC, just use your humor and you will be given full share of the cows in no time πŸ˜‰

102. Gooner In Exile says:

Agree with that Nick, would like to see us return to the early murder (in a footballing sense) of opposition teams.

103. Thracian gooner says:

I`m Spartacus !

104. TotalArsenal says:

G5, fair enough. I am just astonished that a country like Canada is not taking the lead on protecting the environment but doing the opposite. With so much space and resources and so few people, why can’t Canada stick to their Kyote promises? Makes it a less attractive place to take families to stay, I think.

Hi TA, no not Uriah Heap – they were a local band that I saw many times in pubs around North London, also The Edgar Broughton Band. It’s driving me mad, I can’t remember the name of the band that was Sabbath-like!!!

106. Thracian's Goodlooking Brother says:

I am smartartacus!!

107. Gigolo gooner says:

I`m Shaftapus !

108. Red Arse says:

Shibboleth? A great rock band, based in Dallas.

109. Madame Puss says:

That shaftapus is really Mr Floppy.

Sorry Total, but the Kyoto is almost detrimental to the whole process as the targets are totally unachievable. Canada has a considerably better record than most of the signed-up countries.
    As for all the Heavy Metal stuff…words fail me, the dirty smelly loathsome noisists.

Damn. When is Boxing Day game decision?

112. Gigolo gooner says:

That`s because you had borrowed Terry`s syrup !

113. bully gooner says:

I`m Slapawus !

114. Madame Puss says:

Oh, Gigolo, don’t you remember last Sunday after your 8th Guiness?

You said to me, “just roll it up and stick it in”. But I only put it in TerryM’s syrup to keep it warm!

Dandan,
    β€œaint heard a rant like that since a friend of mine went out to bat with a wasp trapped in his box”
    πŸ™‚ Great image

116. gigolo gooner says:

Yes ,it`s coming to me now, Mad ame Puss, Terry wasn`t too pleased as he was wearing it at the time !

117. Doe Eyed Nelly the Cow says:

Bully, what heifer are you saying? Do you prefer a sheep slapper? 😦

118. defensive gooner says:

I`m Parkthebus !

Oi, you two, ever considered getting a barn together for the night?

120. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Where`s Syruptacus ?

121. TerryM's terrible Titter says:

Terry, I hope you and your syrup are not keeping company with those awful Cornwallians and their licentious ways?

No, that’s li-cen-tious. It means ……. oh forget it Terry. Just keep your syrup in your hand at all times. And nothing else!

122. TerryM's terrible Titter says:

Look here Micky — we did not object to your coded messages with Rocky. Now you are interfering with matters of national interest namely the outing of the Doe Eyed Cow as a soviet whatnot!!

123. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Mickytacus, Have you a barn at your place ? Me ,Redders and Terry could do a sleepover , just lock the livestock up, I dont trust them two !

Hey Jamie

What’s wrong with the Twelve Pins?

125. Oi, Mdi89 – leave the noble followers of the art of metal alone !
    You’re just not man enough to appreciate it. πŸ™‚

126. Red Arse says:

Well no footie for me tonight. I am off to Caprice for a splendid evening — and frequent sneaky visits to reception to ask about the score. πŸ™‚

Adieu mes amis!

127. mechanic gooner says:

I`ve got Sparkplugs, and it`s gunner cost yer for his release !

RA,
    Isn’t Caprice where it all went wrong for our Tone?
    Enjoy anyway, I would.

129. Red Arse says:

Erm …… Caprice is a restaurant, and don’t you involve me in your shady Cornwall barn antics, GLIC. πŸ™‚

130. Red Arse says:

Micky — sort of snap at 5:38. Worrying really. πŸ™‚

RA,
    You and I are so in the clear in the field of anything worrying in comparison to that bloke 40 mins down the lane from me.
    Cripes, worrying when put like that!

Now, how bad is this Villa pitch that everyone seems to keep falling over?

133. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, Canada has a mere 30m inhabitants and I don’t need to tell you how big it is, yet, it is the seventh biggest polluter on earth. Still, I can imagine you are more worried about a few thousand smelly heavy metal noisists πŸ™‚

134. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky! I’d been trying to put that out of my mind! That’s it not one starter from Sumday should be played.

135. goonermichael says:

typically my broadband has packed up. I’m connected through my phone (using it as a modem) I have unlimited internet but I’ve turned on roaming. Does anyone know if I have to pay? I did in Japan but that might have been because I was abroad. I’m going to google but I thoiught I’d give you a try first. πŸ™‚

136. Nutters ……………. what’s been going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

137. Who would like to write the match report?

138. goonermichael says:

I turned off the roaming and it still works πŸ™‚

139. goonermichael says:

Just found out they aim to fix my broad band by 28th December
    c++ts. I use it for TV and it’s Chrstmas.

140. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Peaches, I am not able to do a full match report tonight. If nobody offers to do a proper job, I will be happy to write a quick ‘summary of thoughts on the game’.

Rasp, was it perhaps Nazareth?

le coq starts at RB

Szczesny, Coquelin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Frimpong, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho, Van Persie.

Hello All
    What fine strangeness on here today.

GiE
    Fine pre-match – Raddy will be proud of you.

It’s not on live over here (unusually). Suppose I’ll fiddle around with dodgy internet streams.

Szczesny, Coquelin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Walcott, Ramsey, Frimpong, Arteta, Gervinho, van Persie. Subs: Almunia, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Squillaci, Arshavin, Chamakh, Benayoun. including subs RL πŸ™‚

144. goonermichael says:

Like the line up

145. goonermichael says:

ox is on the bench. I hope we use him. whatever happened to Park?

Total,
    Nothing to disagree about really. Maybe differences of measurement, related impact and genuine committment stuff of various nations, and I don’t see Canada as the seventh most environmentally damaging nation by a very long way (many more factors than carbon). Both of us have good intentions for sure.
    On the subject of match reports.
    One of your little ‘uns will still be top drawer.

Wow, all the Red Zoners in. Good bench, so let’s make use of it.

I think Veronica should do the match report or should I say Sara on ACLF today.

Thanks Kelsey
    The Squid is the only defender on the bench – let’s hope there are no more defensive injuries!

Micky
    This is one of those games where it would be great to be three up with half an hour to go so we can rest some players.

I expect it to be harder fought than that though, and I doubt we’ll have that luxury.

Good point Rocky, and no Song to slot in there in case needed.
    Isn’t it about time someone got a good old fashioned Arsetype thrashing?

Sounds good. Remember when we used to bury teams in the first 30?

Right, off to do some pre-match stretches. Or something.

Indeed I do Micky – we often used to be four up at half time, then stroll through the second half without scoring any more goals.

155. harry says:

Happy with the line up, I really rate coquelin, solid and dependable, works like a Trojan……Surprised Miquel not on the bench, but well happy that we have an Ox on the bench……..

Peaches, If I get a decent stream and actually watch the game, will rap a few lines together, so it might be a joint write up with TotalArsenal…..

Walcott owes us a performance tonight………

Ramsey is due a goal……….

Szczesny deserves a clean sheet tonight……..

Villa 0 Arsenal 4

156. Gooner In Exile says:

The big worry of that bench is no left footed defender should something happen to Verm.

157. Irishgunner says:

We’ll win by 2/3 tonight. Villa are shocking and its only been Given that had been keeping the score down for them.

Let’s mash ’em.

I don’t have a problem with Villa just their muppet of a manager.

158. SharkeySure says:

Evening all…

Cracking pre-match GiE (and best wishes to Mr Radders?)

Harry, agreed re Ramsey being overdue a goal. He’s been in my Fantasy team for a little while now and very rarely gets more than two points, even though he has been playing very well. here’s to a change tonight

Best of luck to Le Coq…out of position.

Miquel MUST be injured !!

159. gunnern5 says:

TA,

I note that you don’t want to know about the numeric of Canada, but here goes anyway.

Canada – 3.8 million square miles, 34 million people.

England – 50 thousand square miles, 58 million people.

In England you breathe each others air – that is unless the winds cleanse the island each day?,

in Canada we breathe fresh air – come and try it you may be pleasantly surprised.. Oh – and we can walk our parks during the day and our streets at night with little or no fear.

The worlds biggest polluter is China followed by Russia and the USA.
    The pollution numbers are obviously higher in indutrial countries that is why we rank so high.

You can drive hundreds of thousands of miles in Canada without seeing a single factory.

Above is not intended to be political just factual.

160. TotalArsenal says:

Harry, please go ahead if you get a decent stream. I have just done one, so very happy for you to do the write up, or we combine it. I am going to look for a stream as well πŸ™‚

161. Irishgunner says:

Guys – my family are getting me an Arsenal stone on the North Bank for my birthday ( there may have been a strong hint on my behalf)

I’ve 28 characters (14 per line)

What should I write?

162. Santa ClauOZ says:

abonglahor for jan,yes please

163. Santa ClauOZ says:

payback for scoring two against us last season. What a spin by walcott

164. goonermichael says:

I am watching the worst stream ever but we’re winning and I’m happy

165. Santa ClauOZ says:

coq is going to have to watch out because n’zogbia is quite crafty and has a tendancy to roll around on the floor. Reminds me of those scum man city players the other day acting in an attempt to get song sent off

166. The Orcs are getting torn a new one by Abu dhabi Fc – 2 nil up at the council house…and ManUre 2 up at the Michael Jackson Arena.

167. harry says:

Total, stream is pants and havent seen much as yet……….all yours mate………..

168. To T/A & Harry,

Since no-one can get a good stream, perhaps a combined report would be an idea? Do you want me to email you each others addresses?

We are making them look way too good.

170. harry says:

peaches, I really havent seen anything as yet, how about you total?

171. SharkeySure says:

Song is a massive miss tonight.

Veronica/Sarah…lol. You could manage Arsenal…?? Yeah me too. Only reason I don’t, is that I love being an Accountant too much.

Have to take coq off but not sure who comes in. ramsey really should have scored.I feel quite comfortable except for our right defensive side.

Sharkey,
    And there was I thinking how much more control we would have with Cesc!
    Damn…soap and water

174. TotalArsenal says:

Stream is not good, but I put something together quick and pretty after the game.

175. Santa ClauOZ says:

Your right song is a big miss, frimpong has been rather absent. A loan move would do him wonders.

176. Thanks TA, you are a star πŸ™‚

177. that was very very poor. Don’t know what verm was thinking. With a yellow mertz couldn’t do much

178. looking 2nd best at the moment

179. SharkeySure says:

I’m not sure we can win this with Frimpong out there.

180. harry says:

this is doing my head in, crap stream and it sounds like we are playing pants….

181. not missing much harry, very average game, and un-arsenal like. looking flat, need a boost. The ox perhaps?

Jeepers Arsene. Make the changes. Freshen up. Pong and Ramsey off now. Benny, Rosicky anyone

Ah ha….

184. harry says:

cheers Snowman, but I get so frustrated listening and not seeing the action especially when we are struggling which it sounds like we are..

Get the Ox on……

185. amazing how players can dive all game and get away with it yet RVP does it once all season and gets yellow for it, what a joke!

186. @ Harry

i get what you mean, regardless of how we are playing its tough to be missing out.

Come on benny and arshavin be a hero!

187. harry says:

Ah I saw the replay of that, that was a penalty, yellow is a joke,

AA and Benny on……….

188. i’ve seen them given too harry,if RVP wasn’t going down already i’d say it def was too. Which away fan wants to punch out dunne, i’m sick of him getting in the way of us scoring

189. fatgingergrinch says:

Santa, i want a last minute winner for Arsenal please

190. fatgingergrinch says:

Cheers Santa!!!

191. SharkeySure says:

Get out of jail card…..

192. YOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!

free header from a corner, would never have picked that! He is good at bobbing up when needed! Great sub. Only took 11 corners to get 1 dangerous one in haha

193. harry says:

bennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 2-1

194. haha good call FGG, good ole saint nick delivers!

195. bloody tottenham scum

196. SharkeySure says:

Lol FGG !!

197. we need to do a lot better than that. I’m over the moon with the result but we need to buy

198. fatgingergooner says:

Santa, you have answered my call and I will no longer be the Grinch!!!!

I looooooooove christmas!!!!!

Ps Alan Hutton is a thug.

199. ginger you spelt c++t wrong

Absolutely delighted with the points.
    I think we may have some picking over to do tomorrow.
    In a told you so kind of way, I said earlier maybe freshness would be preferable to quality, but we got away with it. Just.
    Must get more sleep tonight. So its night from me.

201. I’ve just watched the whole game streamed from my laptop to my TV using my mobile phone as a wireless modem. Maybe I should just sack bt

202. I’m off to see you later

Managed to watch most of it on a stream.

Great three points.

Tired performance.

The lack of balance caused by having no FBs is hurting us.

What a shift RvP put in today. He ran across that front line all game long, unbelievable. But he can’t keep doing that for 90 mins a game – something is going to give. We badly need a back-up striker in the TW.

Frimpong is a great prospect but is not ready yet. He needs to go on loan to a Bolton or Wigan for the second half of the season.

TR7 was excellent when he game on and helped wrest the game back in our favour.

Great to see Benny get a goal. He looked lively and dangerous.

204. SharkeySure says:

Evonne…9.29 Lol

Well we deffo got away with that one.

Very poor goal for us to concede, I’m really not sure what Tommy was thinking. Clearly he could see that Kozzer had jumped in front of him leaving only the BFG behind him. It should have also been on his mind that Albrighton had been chasing everything down and that Mert is not the quickest.

I don’t mind mistakes like that which you really do learn from but don’t lose any points over.

205. Irishgunner says:

Always liked Benayoun πŸ™‚ We should keep him and play him more.

For me, our MoTM was either RvP or Arteta (with Kozzer coming close).

Arteta was such a great buy.

207. Gooner In Exile says:

In these christmas fixtures all that matters is points not performance. Not that I’ve seen any of it. Was sweating and refreshing Beeb website in hope of the winner. Judging by stats we were out possessed and out shot which is unusual.

Did Hutton really get sent off for two bookings in space of three minutes?

208. Gooner In Exile says:

Sucks that a defensive mistake gave the 20000th goal to Villa and Albrighton.

209. fatgingergooner says:

Well done Wigan.

A draw between Spurs n Chelsea tomoz n this 3 points (no matter how we got em) will feel more like 4 or 5.

Liverpool bringing on Carroll, Bellamy and Shelvey to win them a game!? They are still some way off the top 4 and maybe quite a bit from the top 5 without Gerrard (who’s career is on the downslope) and Suarez.

Haha – ‘Pool drop points at Wigan πŸ™‚

What’s the best result for us in tomorrow’s game of the Detestables versus the Despicables? A draw, I’d guess…

Apparently ‘Pool missed a pen (saved by al Habsi)

I like Wigan – hope they stay up. They’ve had some good results lately after being kind enough to roll over for us.

GiE
    Better Albrighton than some Manc or Manchav, which would probably have been the case otherwise…

Nite all.

214. Irishgunner says:

For those that didn’t see what happened in Holland tonight. DB10 is there near the end of the video – always get misty eyed when I see that man

215. Brigham says:

Two great moments in that game tonight – Benayoun scoring a header! and of course that dirty ex Spud Hutton being sent off for two yellows in three minutes.

Not our best performance, but three points is three points.

The Bindippers could only draw up at Wigan and Dalgleish is burbling some sort of press conference, I have no idea what he is saying at all and I work in Scotland. πŸ™‚

216. TotalArsenal says:

Feed the Scousers, let them know it’s Christmas time.

217. TotalArsenal says:

G5/Micky, lol. You know I respect both your views πŸ™‚

218. Rob Lucci says:

We got one goal from 15 corners!! Chamakh is really a BIG miss.. πŸ™‚

219. Brigham says:

TA, is that the translation of Kenny’s post match press dit? πŸ™‚

220. harry says:

Well the stream was p*ss poor, so was our performance to the sound of it, everynow and then i got 30secs or so to watch, so frustrating……….but after losing to city, the only thing that mattered was bagging 3 points………..

As for tomorrow night although a draw is mathematically better for us, I want chelsea to win as i see them as less of a threat than Spuds.

221. From http://www.urbandictionary.com,

dipper
    Abbreviation for “bin dipper” aka scouser.

Derived from their habit of foraging in dustbins for food, clothing and mating partners.

Can also be identified by foolish collective belief that Liverpool FC is a major footballing power. Can be found in large (10,000 or so) numbers at a local cesspit aka Anfailed. Although the number of meetings here tends to decline as the calendar progresses towards May,

Now I know why. πŸ˜€

222. VCC says:

Arteta quality.
    Another defensive blunder from the big German.
    Lack lustre performance from the guys tonight, but, hey, three points is three points.

Just back from the 12 Pins pub in Finsbury Park what a great atmosphere they have in there, it’s like being in the away end, I am horse from singing, great fun.

Yossi Benayoun, Yossi Benayoun
    Na na na na na na Yossi Benayoun, Yossi Benayoun.

To the tune of Samir is c…t, is a c..t, Samir is a c…t

For Veronica just in case she didn’t know lol.

Three people have contributed in summing up the game perfectly for me:

Sharkey in saying that we got out of jail, absolutely true.

Rocky in saying that RVP, Arteta and Koscielny we our saving graces. I thought Kozzer shaded MOTM; he was covering the whole of the back line.

And Harry for saying that after losing to City the only thing that mattered was bagging three points. Nothing needs to be added to this one.

VCC

When did the BFG blunder?

225. SharkeySure says:

Well said Rocky…TR without being phenomenal himself, had a massive and immediate impact on the game.

The same thing happened in the 2nd half vs Dortmund. Like today, Arsene decided that the best way to ‘defend’ was to keep the ball and no longer invite wave after wave of attacks thru us losing the ball a lot.

There’s nothing worse in football than losing the ball in dangerous areas, or with too many of your own players ahead of the ball

Very well played on Arsene’s part tonight

226. Irishgunner says:

VCC – even the players are claiming it was TV’s fault, even he is saying its his fault on Twitter, saying Benny dug him out of a hole. Not the BFG’s fault this time.

227. fatgingergooner says:

Spurs without a lot of players tomorrow so I think Chelsea might nick the points but a draw would be good.

Frimpong was embarrassing, I don’t care how well he has played in the past, I don’t care what he may turn into in the future, tonight he was a disgrace to the shirt.

Coquelin got run ragged in the first half, why Villa stopped targeting him in the second half is beyond me but they did and the Frenchman steadied himself, and put in a good second half performance.

Ramsey was knackered.

Walcott was ineffectual apart from one blinding piece of skill which produced the pen.

Gervinho, it is going to be interesting what happens when he goes to the ACN we could actually improve, by now, he should be scaring the opposition far more than he is.

Vermaelen, not the best today but we all know he is just filling in at LB.

Mertasacker, The BFG was very clever to avoid getting himself sent off when Vermaelen played him the hospital ball that led to their goal, this one might be a bit subtle for some but with only ten men we would have more than likely lost. Clever those Germans.

Arteta, stood up to be counted, very very proud of him.

Van Persie, will someone offer the man some help in attack.

Kozzer, did you notice he got injured in added time, very worrying. Great game.

Szezceny: world’s number one

229. SharkeySure says:

Haha Rocky at 9.55…you’ve picked out our ‘spine’ with those three players. Always a good sign to have a strong spine of talented and consistent players. Those 3 are in the mix for MoM almost every game…

Koscielny wins it for me. Its almost getting ridiculous to see how he continues to improve, even though I was already convinced that he was pretty damn good based on last season.

Arsene really has built a phenomenal team whereby I struggle to think of too many Prem players who I would swap any of our ‘first 11’ for.

Off the top of my head (and slightly biased ..lol) there’s no CB’s, no GK’s, almost no FB’s (Baines, Cole *spit*?). There’s hardly a MF worth a mention beyond Silva, and up front there’s only ‘options for back up’ to RVP. Aguero’s a great player…but displace RVP …naah!

Walcott and Gerv can both be unplayable at times, but could be challenged by the likes of Nani, Mata, Hoillett, Bale etc*, but we already have the Ox challenging.

* I don’t even know why I don’t really rate Ashley Young. Maybe its that silly running style, or his diving, or that he just flatters to deceive if you actually watch him enough

230. SharkeySure says:

LB – I agree that Frimpong was very very poor tonight, but when I think of ‘disgrace’ I’m looking for a complete lack of effort, disinterest etc.

Perhaps its semantics on my part, and you are only describing his ‘performance’ rather than him per se.

Agree with your thoughts on all the others, especially The Gerv. I really fancied him to ruin that hot headed TootSpertz reject at RB tonight, but in truth he offered very little.

Great observation on the cuteness of the BFG, that guy really is quality

Sharkey

Yes, of course, his performance tonight, he may well be a lovely person who buys his mum flowers but he was pathetic out there tonight, really, really poor.

232. SharkeySure says:

To those who struggle for streams…

Somehow Evonne got on to Liveonlinefooty.com and set up a new account recently, when I thought they’d stopped new sign ups.

If you get on it you simply cannot go wrong. I’ve watched parts of games on my mobile via LOF.

Β£6 for 60days….lol.

233. SharkeySure says:

Yes he does LB, every Sun on their way back from Church…

He’s in the choir πŸ˜‰

He’s played tonight like he thought it was a Sunday at church, overly polite, too respectful, and way too charitable in returning the ball to Villa time and time again, usually under no pressure.

I counted 5 or 6 times in the the first 30mins alone, then stopped counting. 2nd half I mostly looked away when he had the ball.

My 9.56 was an oblique reference to Frimpong being the root of most of our problems tonight, but now I’ve been well and truly drawn out. Oh well…

Now I know he is in the choir I’m starting to feel a bit guilty for being so harsh on Frimpong.

It’s a shame you can’t appeal a yellow card – Van Persie’s card for “diving” was ridiculous and should probably have been a penalty.

So, just like last season, we have 32 points from 17 games.

But last season we went on to win only 9 out of the remaining 21 games (there were only three defeats, but the 9 draws killed us).

Does anyone think New Arsenal will perform as badly from this point on as last year’s Arsenal?

I certainly don’t think so, so I expect us to finish the season with a much higher points haul than 2010/11.

Obviously the problem is that a lot of other teams are likely to have bigger points hauls this year too, but, nevertheless, it’s an encouraging thought…

237. fatgingergooner says:

We’ve had a lot of injuries early doors this season which hopefully will mean we have a lot of players running pretty fresh for the 2nd half of the season. Being out of the CC this year will also help keep fixtures reasonably clear so we should have a great chance of smashing last seasons point total. Will it be enough for the league, I doubt it, but top 4 would be a great considering some sections of supporters were actually questioning wether we would finish top half!?

Seems ludicrous to even suggest that now!!!

Top half FGG?
    Some were talking relegation!

239. In fairness to coq (whoever said he was given a run around in the first half) n’zogbia (on his day) will trouble every full back in the league. He is quick, tricky and dives all over the place. Clichys often had trouble against him.

Frimpong definently should go out of loan with coq taking the backup DM position. Rosicky and yossi were great and gave us the lift we needed, they should definently be getting more time (Ramsey deserves a rest).

I liked BFG’s shot from the corner, decent effort. It’s a shame he isn’t more aggressive in the air like a Huth or hangeland, but hey he takes the biggest defender leaving the second for Verm, which is just fine by me!

Brilliant result last night. Loved it.
    I wasn’t quite sure where that victory would come from. RvP’s corners were good throughout the second half, so I should have guessed.
    We had the complete opposite view to the one we had at Citeh.

The stand we were in reminded me of the West Stand at Highbury. http://twitpic.com/7wlskp

There was a lot of Yossi Benayouning, just as LB said there was in the 12 pins. The other song I found funny was, to the Vieira tune.

Gervinho, wo-oh
    Gervinho, wo-oh
    His forehead is immense,
    He’ll fuck with your defence,
    Gervinho, wo-oh

241. cheers for the video chas, it would be amazing to be in the middle of that, chills just listening to it

242. Red Arse says:

Morning earlybirds, πŸ™‚

Good one Chas, and I thought the Gooner away fans chants were great from what I heard on the recording.

I don’t think there is any point in knocking any player’s performance after that game.

It was just one of those games, and however we did it, the three points were hard earned and made up for the brilliant game but unfair result last Sunday.

The outstanding players – just for balance — were Chezzer and Kozzer — but all the team stuck at it, even if not at their best.

Good morning all.

Having read all the post match comments I see there is no mention of Song as he was dearly missed.

Vermaelen has been fantastic all season and it was unfortunate that his pass to Mertsacker was poor and that allowed Villa to score and to be honest Villa were unlucky to be behind at the time.

I have only see frimpomg play a handful of first team fixtures but there was something not quite right with him from the start as if anything I had expected him to be the first if any of our players to be booked.Not so sure he should go out on loan at this moment of time.

on possession Villa shaded it 51% to 49% but they had also had a hard game against liverpool so when AW states that we were not sharp due to to the efoort against City i don’t agree with that., in fact there was more fluidity to our game at City than last night, and it is the same for all teams at this stage of the seson as the games come thick and fast.

I honestly didn’t think we would win with the minutes ticking by but sometimes the unexpected happens.

11 corners finally produced a headed goal, and congratulations to Yossi as those 3 points were absolutely vital to hang in there
    Even though RVP taking corners is in my opinion not the right tactic as stats prove that in near to 200 corners we have scored directly twice.

The crux of the matter is that we have a bench of cameo players and nowhere near the strength of the two manchester clubs and of course financial reasons dictate that to some extent and of course the dreaded injurie just continue.
    A fit Diaby on song would be highly beneficial, but that is unlikely.

Miquel was out of his depth last night and gervinho spent most of the second half in his own half which was understandable.

The best we can hope for is third but it will be a struggle
    Ifeel sorry for Ramsey his decision making when in a scoring chance has deserted himor he makes the wrong option.

Obviously satisfied with the result but a poor performane.As has been said time and time again, no game is easy in the PL and results this season by nearly all teams have often been surprising.

Wolves will get stuck in no doubt, we have the class to beat them but we can’t afford any mor injuries and i wonder if that might be affecting the performance of certain players who are proud to wear the shirt, possibly frimpong last night.It may be a crazy thought just an observation on my part.

RA,

did Caprice close early last night,or did she say “not on a first date sonny” πŸ˜‰

245. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning Kelsey, I guess the beauty of footy is that we can be prouder of Sundays performance in defeat than of last nights in victory. But those three points last night will be precious especially in taking us away from Liverpool, and hopefully narrowing the gap above.

246. morning all.

GiE you may know. Realistically besides wayne bridge is there anyone else we could loan that won’t be a dramatic step down?

Kelsey,
    Absolutely delighted with the points as I said last night, but I very deliberately turned everything off at final whistle as I knew for sure AW would trot out the tired line.
    Utterly pathetic.
    What were an injury ridden Villa doing over the weekend, lying on a beach, and precisely what’s the point of a squad. He sees them in training, and even if he had’nt picked up on it, it was so blindingly obvious from the off that why wait to so late in the game.
    I had said earlier in the day that freshness might be an advantage over quality, and so it was. The players dug in and got the points last night, and that is certainly credit to AW for assembling right minded men, but his team selection was shocking.

248. Gooner In Exile says:

Oz Loaning a player of suitable quality is unlikely, but with Gibbs history of injury I’d actually be trying to sign Baines (especially with Everton cash strapped).

Bridge would give me kittens… He didn’t do well for West Ham last year, and has not played enough football to be fit enough. We will be waiting a few weeks for match fitness.

Have just watched Toon vs Baggies highlights, the defending was poor but both Odemwingie and Long would be worth looking at as would Demba Ba. More unlikely Newcastle will let him go. Finishing and all round play from all three was top quality. The way Ba adjusts his feet to score his second was pure quality. And Long and Odemwingies work rate and ability to set up the winner for Scharner was tremendous.

249. Gooner In Exile says:

To be fair Micky/Kelsey Villa rolled over for Liverpool and our lads fought tooth and nail for an equaliser. Hence IMO why Villa were more able to compete.

But as Kelsey says the biggest miss for us is Song.

250. i agree mickey. It was not working and the team was flat. Leaving it that late could of really cost us. Rosicky/Yossi/ox should of been brought on alot earlier.

Mr Snowman,
    It is AW who talked about a Red Zone, and he was right. Its a squad game, so use them correctly.
    Rant over.

RA,
    I think Kelsey’s question was a perfectly reasonable one. So..did she?

Oh dear, I’ve done nothing to keep the mood festive, have I?
    Coat almost on.

Morning all…..

….New post ….

255. My says:

My…

[…]Time for War Pigs « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

256. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you
    might be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and may come
    back down the road. I want to encourage one to continue your great
    work, have a nice morning!