Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice?

How often have you asked yourself “Just what is it that Pat Rice does?”

Now, don’t get me wrong, he is a top bloke and Arsenal through and through, but is there an actual point to him as Wenger’s number two?

He just seems to mimic what Arsene does.  Arsene stands, Pat stands.  Arsene sits, Pat sits.  Arsene waves, Pat waves. Arsene shouts, Pat shouts, Arsene tells Pat to sit down.

To be honest I think it is more a reflection on Wenger than on Pat Rice. Rice has been at Arsenal a long time and being a loyal servant to Wenger but isn’t it time to freshen up? Many people will tell you that Ferguson is so successful because he brings in different number two’s every couple of years who have their own ideas and impact the squad and how the team play. Does Rice really have an impact on how we play or how we train?

One man who does have an impact and could have a bigger one is Steve Bould. Perhaps it would be foolish to move him from his post as coach of our Youth team but there are various reasons why he would be suited as Wenger’s right hand man:

1. He knows the club inside out.
  2. He has worked with a lot of the youth players who are starting to break through: Wilshere, JET, Frimpong etc.
  3. He knows the Arsenal way.
  4. Maybe he can also teach our defenders how to defend…. just a thought!
  5. It could be a possibility that he could one day manage our club after Wenger leaves/retires.

Things are just a bit stale at Arsenal at the moment. Its hard to put a finger on just what it is, but when we look to change something it doesn’t quite stick. Like when we changed to a 4-3-3 last season and started defending from the front – it lasted about a month. Maybe if someone more vocal was beside Wenger he would stick to it and be told its a good idea.

The sad thing is Wenger doesn’t like being told what to do – maybe if it was someone more vocal than Pat Rice he might have to listen?!!

151 Responses to Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice?

Irish,

I think you have answered your own question in your last paragraph. Wenger has carte blanche with the current set up at boardroom level.I doubt things would change whoever his right hand man was.Just my opinion.

Nice post irish – watching Pat Rice doing the warm-up on Sunday was funny, he only shows the team what he wants them to do – doesn’t actually join in 😉

But of course you’re right, Wenger’s no 2 should have some sort of input and be questioning of whats going on. Wasn’t there talk of Pat Rice retiring at the end of last season?

3. tommy – I have a hot line to chary so we can get info from him as it happens 🙂

4. Hello kelsey – how are you 😀

did you read my e mail delaware 😉

6. DS says:

Why is Pat Rice constantly the scapegoat? There’s probably a good reason he’s been on the coaching staff for a hell of a long time, maybe it’s because he’s bloody good at his job. How can you possibly say you want him sacked because you think he doesn’t argue with Wenger enough on the bench, surely it’s a good thing there’s no disagreement, maybe it shows that there a clear consensus on how the team shoul be playing. What do you want him to do? He’s not supposed to be a high profile assistant who’s constantly giving interviews to the press, just let the poor guy do his job.

7. Graeme Green says:

I know this might sound controversial, but if this season doesn’t yield silver-ware and there is no tangible evidence of real progress, I’d like to see David Moyes given a chance.

8. dandan says:

An intriguing post Irish, Isn’t there a touch of shoot the messenger in this, surely Pats main job is to act as the conduit between the manager and the dressing room, his main focus is around the team and its welfare.
    Wenger already employs a team of coaches of which Stevie boy is one, removing Pat would have no effect on the coaching ethic of Arsenal at all. Ask Steve Bould to work with the defensive unit as GG did, might be one way round it.
    But who is to say under Wengerball just how much of the team is seen as the defensive unit. Much has been written recently about defence starting from the front,
    So maybe its a new system you think we need.
    I have made my views clear previously confidence is what we need, a motivator between the sticks would bring far more reward, than rewarding Pat by showing him the door.
    Oh and by the way when it comes to defending we used to have a feisty little Irish left back who would run all day on the ploughed fields we called pitches at Places like Highbury and Derby, he knew a bit about defending, now what was his name?

9. tommystout says:

Very good peaches – whens it all starting? 🙂

anyway good post irish, a brave post i’m sure you’ll be open to a lot of negetive comments today from people who don’t usually visit this site.
    I’ve often thought it myself though, he sits there and doesn’t sem to do a lot, but we are just on outside looking in and that at best is just a crack in a closed door.
    I think Rasp will probably have a good bit to say on Pat Rice and his role as well.

I think we all know what will make arsenal a better defensive unit, a new GK, a better work ethic, one more CB, shoot when you have the opportunity,….. its a balancing act – Wenger will know all of this, Pat Rice will too.

When Pat Rice does pack it up i’d like to see the next man an arsenal man named as no.2 and then groomed for the Wengers job.

10. peter mc says:

Bring in DB10 he’s got coaching badges now. Bouldy or Big Tone would be good choices.

Nice post Irish

11. jack says:

This is complete rubbish. You have no idea what he does. Perhaps he looks after all the training or player relationships. Perhaps he is the master tactician. Do you think Wenger is big on hanger’s-on? This is just another blatant attempt to be controversial and stir things up. Of the points you make for justifying steve bold, all of them apply also to Pat rice.

12. rico says:

Morning all, nice one Irish

But how about Rice as number2 and Bould as manager 😉

13. tommystout says:

db10 aint over his flying bug peter

14. rico says:

jack, I don’t think that is a fair comment, many fans have been asking the same question of late..

15. Mike E says:

er yes. but i have been posting this (not the bould bit) for months now!

16. Whilst I can’t speak for irish I’m sure the post has a slightly humurous lilt to it although it is also a valid question.Thats how I read it anyway.

It seems some gooners are very highly strung at the moment.

Don’t stress, I’m sure Pat Rice will still be around for a while.

17. Gooner64 says:

I’d like to see Bould as a first team defensive coach.It may well compliment Arsene and Pat and judging on some of our defensive performances last season we need some help. Since I like everyone else seems a bit confused over Pats role I won’t pass comment on what I know nothing about.

18. rico says:

Mike, thats why its a good post for debate…

To be fair, how many top clubs would stand by a manager for five years without winning a trophy? Look at the Chavs, how many managers have they got through in the last few years?

19. Morning rico – nice to see you 😀

20. rico says:

morning peaches

21. I think the questions raised about our defensive frailties are all valid. Which is the linch pin, a good defensive coach, a confident experienced goalkeeper, someone to question the players, someone to question Arsene?????????

22. rico says:

i have a theory about today, wenger announces a ‘big signing’ – the same day as cesc declares his ‘love’ for the club. The signing is an awesome one and overshadows the cesc story…. 😉

23. rico says:

and a proper leader on the pitch peaches…

24. MikeSA says:

I thought the other gentleman, Primorac, was the more influential coach in AW’s setup? From my understanding he just doesn’t like the limelight, something brought through from the whole Marseilles debacle when he was the only coach who supported AW through the whole saga.

25. aj says:

You sum it up perfectly in your last sentence.Wenger is a control freak. It’s criminal that we have loads of ex-players,who have a vast amount of experience and only Bould is at the club.And he’s only allowed to coach the youth team.
    Wenger wants yes men.I fear when he stops coaching the team he will become Director of football and try to dominate the next coach.Who will probably be one of his French yes men anyway.
    Gazidis,get a grip!

26. Red Arse says:

Morning each,

I think the post was tactful and not deliberatly controversial, at all.

It is fair to say that not many of us (any one?) know what Pat’s Job Spec is, and therefore it is difficult to guage whether he meets its objectives and success criteria.

In the background we also have Primo Borovic who I understand has Wengers ear on all football matters.

It is difficult without knowing all the facts to judge whether changing Arsene’s No.2 would have any impact at all. For myself, I think not.

What I would really like to see is Steve being given the job as first team defensive coach. I think he would revolutionise the defence strategies and therefore the way we play as a team.

Apparently, Lee Dixon is quoted as saying that Arsene simply told them to go out and play your game. That’s all v. well with experienced and mature players like Adams, Dixon & co, but probably not so effective withyoung or new defensive signings.

But what do I know? Bugger all probably. 🙂

27. …….and then you wake up 😉

28. rico says:

I am still dreaming we will sign Villa peaches 😉

Hi RA

29. rico says:

Maybe Wenger will sign Kaka …. Only because he has just been ruled out for two months following injury 😉

30. Graeme Green says:

Did the David Moyes mention skip everyone’s conscience and escape under the radar because we’re all Arsene Wenger-centric & can’t imagine life without him as manager? After what he’s done at Everton, I think he’s the ideal candidate. Scots managers have a different mentality & work-ethic that is unique. Busby built Man Utd, the legacy of which Ferguson has built upon, and Shankly laid the foundations of the all-conquering Liverpool side of the ’70’s & 80’s. Two of those three have won the European Cup, & it was Shankly’s DNA that won Liverpool 4 European Cups in 7 years.

31. forza forza says:

yes it is.

32. Red Arse says:

Hi Rico, 🙂

Sorry guys, I don’t know where I got Borovic from, I meant Primoric.

Actually, I’m reading a fantastic novel by Alan Furst set in the mid 1930’s and involving Russian, English and German spies. It’s brilliant and scaring the pants off me! 🙂 All the names seem to end vic, ich, or ski.

33. Morning Red Arse – I’m sure thats why the post was written a little tongue in cheek – we really don’t know what Pat Rice’s role is ……………

rico – well we lost Merida so at least you can still dream of Villa. Maybe we’ll swap him for Cesc next summer – obviously thats the plan 😛

34. wersyfbaby says:

if pat rice was ur dad, u wud v bin full of praise 4 him. Wud u show him d door? Irish or woteva ur name b, wot gave u dis inspiratn? U r simply sick. Go treat ur malaria

35. Red Arse says:

Having been v. despondent about the potential signing of Spahic, I now read it was a hoax and the spirit soars.

Tomorrow it will be a confirmed we have made a bid and I will plunge into the abyss again.

That’s what is so stressful during this wretched transfer window! 😦

36. Morning Graeme – David Moyes has done great work at Everton also on a shoestring so he’d get the vote of the current board. He’s a good man manager too – I wouldn’t say no.

37. Morning forza forza

38. rico says:

😉 peaches..

39. rico says:

RA, its a strange transfer window, only the chavs and city have really spent money in the EPL, its going to be a mad dash at the end me thinks… except of course our new signing today 😉

40. dandan says:

G, Green We saw enough of a Scot in GG spare us that please, AW hopefully will manage Asenal for as long as the red nosed one has at UTD.

Why would we want burgers when we have fillet steak. Whisky when we have Vintage Champagne

41. dandan says:

Off to see the grand kids, see you all later.

42. rico says:

Mmmmmeeee, cesc is not training with the squad.. the plot thickens….

43. tommy – the gates open at 11.30 so probably the teams will be on the pitch around 12. It’s a nice way to spend a couple of hours I did it two years ago. The 7-a-side match that they played was amazing – like a ballet, every move beautifully executed and so fast.

44. Graeme Green says:

Hiya Peaches, the only reason I mention it is because the Scots for whatever reason, have an uncanny knack of building successful clubs and winning multiple titles. We don’t have to like Man Utd or Liverpool to acknowledge what Busby, Ferguson & Shankly did for those clubs. Busby & Shankly took their club to a level that we’re still trying to reach, & they did it 40 years ago.

45. Red Arse says:

Rico,

Arsene said on ATVO that Cesc was due to report back on Thursday (5th) at 10 a.m.

He’s probably just wiping off the tears and getting changed! 🙂

46. Although the club is steeped in tradition it has become Wenger’s Arsenal so post Wenger do we want a manager to continue with his footballing vision? I do, is that more important that building a new legacy of multiple titles?

47. rico says:

the players are out already according to sky sports, well, except cesc who no doubt is having a battle of words with dear arsene…

48. rico says:

It must be hard for him to finally take the barca shirt off his back RA 😉

SS are covering the day, they said they will be on ‘cesc watch’ 😉

49. rico says:

i just want the ‘old wenger’ back

50. Graeme Green says:

I don’t think George Graham deserves to mentioned alongside Busby or Shankly, or even Ferguson. Graham’s teams never produced a level of football anywhere near the quality of those three managers. George Graham’s best mate was Terry Venables, that tells you all you need to know about him. Arsenal almost had Ferguson in the summer of ’86, before Graham got the job.

51. Red Arse says:

Do you know Peaches, I think you and Rico are the quiet voices of reason in this potty footie world! 🙂

V. nice it is too.

52. rico says:

creep RA 😉

53. Red Arse says:

Graeme,

The Stroller was never thought of in the same way as Busby or Shankly, but I liked the old rogue because he was Arsenal thru and thru.

He was a very successful manager for us, who can forget that night up in Anfield, clock ticking down, last match of the season and suddenly we had won! 🙂 Wonderful.

But you are correct that his teams did not play scintillating football. After all, Frank McLintock admitted that they knew they were not the best players in the League, but they compensated as a great team! 🙂

It’s all down to different opinions, of course.

54. Red Arse says:

Rico,

😉

55. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

Your 11:01, is not mutually exclusive.

We can have a new manager with Arsene’s vision, when he eventually steps down, but he can also go on to hopefully win medals and trophies. 🙂

56. Graeme Green says:

That night at Anfield in May ’89 was magical and will forever be etched in the memory. Probably Graham’s finest moment in his time at Arsenal, but ultimately he was a criminal, & most people would have been imprisoned for what he did. And that’s without his brand of football! Did he try to claim the credit for Eddie Kelly’s equaliser against Liverpool in the ’71 Cup-final, or was it the Press thinking he’d touched it on the way in?

57. rico says:

see you soon, ttfn

58. Red Arse says:

Graeme,

🙂

59. Graeme Green says:

If Ferguson had taken the job in ’86 we’d have been talking about a very different Arsenal today! I doubt there’d have been so much discontent.

Morning all,

I’m quite happy for Pat Rice to carry on doing what he’s doing. He’s a great guy and is part of the ‘Arsenal family’, I’m not even sure that his job title is Assistant Manager, but even if it is, he is not there to do anything other than act as a sounding board for Arsène. I suspect one day that AW will be moved upstairs as Director of Football.

The news that pool may soon become a richer club than citeh is quite disturbing. That will leave only Arsenal and united at the highest level that will need to balance the books. There but for the grace of god go Arsenal …. for the timebeing at least 😉

61. SharkeySure says:

Graeme ..look at ManU fans discontent from about 5-6 seasons ago, when Fegie was derided as past it and or senile.

I think it was Queiroz who had just left and most Man U fans started to believe he was the real cornerstone of their success.

Fergie held on and has since done very well for them !

I doubt Fergie could have done the same at Arsenal without the spending power.

Morning All

62. Just heard from our man at the Emirates

20 minute delay in opening the gates due to photo calls

Queues all the way back to the north bridge

Hi Rasp 😛

63. Graeme Green says:

Agreed SharkeySure, but he made them the dominant force of the 90’s, finishing with the Treble. Chelsea stole his thunder when they bought their way to a couple of titles, & as you say was derided & questioned by his own fans. But he withstood Chelsea’s spending power, won a hat-trick of titles, & beat Chelsea in CL Final. He broke up the Celtic-Rangers dominance with Aberdeen in Scotland. The only reason we didn’t get him was because the two parties couldn’t agree on a timing of the Press conference.

64. Cesc first onto the pitch

We’ve got Cesc Fabregas – d’you think its too early for that 😆

65. Not too early it seems …….

chary says – not a single boo for Cesc just his song and lots of cheering for him

66. Goonoo says:

you and I have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes so this is pure pointless speculation.

67. SharkeySure says:

Peaches 12.11 – Thats the news that I wanted to hear.

Grame. Fair do’s …what if scenarios can never be proven beyond doubt. As much as I deride Fergie for havingspent so much money, I am in comoplete admiration for hs powers of motivation, and his ability to get very player working thioer socks off.

Many a time Utds fighting spirit has been their main basis for success. I wish we could garner some of that mentality and spirit

68. ArseChicago says:

Any chance we’ll see some video of Cesc leading the team out today? Great to see the pics. Wondering what kind of statement there may be from Cesc and Arsene.

69. Red Arse says:

Arsechicago,

Sky Sports News has shown Cesc running out onto the pitch ahead of the rest of the squad.

Great reception from the crowd and he was all smiles.

Who knows what will happen?

Cesc has been pictured in the centre sitting next to AW for the official team photo 😉

We’ve got Cesc Fabregas, We’ve got Cesc Fabregas

71. SharkeySure says:

There really is no player in the world that I would swap Cesc for.

None.

Not even Messi, as good as he is.

72. So I wasn’t too early then 😉

73. Isn’t it funny how much we love him. I loved all the Invicibles but Cesc is different – he hasn’t won anything with us and I feel he can’t go until he has.

74. chippy says:

Arvo All,
    Just thought id pop by to make sure the ladies hadnt topped themselves yet with the news rosicky may by off to Turkey !! But it seems they are all accounted for 🙂

75. SharkeySure says:

Lol Chippy.

Why on earth would Rosicky go there…?? Story does look like its got legs though. We’ll see soon enough I’m sure.

76. Oh dear it’s irish we have to be worried about 😦

I’m sure its complete rubbish 🙄

77. Red Arse says:

Who you calling a lady chippy? 🙂

78. chippy says:

Sharkey,
    No idea mate wouldnt be my choice of destination !!

Im fairly confident something is happening behind the scenes tho as there are a fair few rumours flying around that deals are being worked on !

Poor Irish, Hopefully we will sign someone equally handsome for her to droll over 🙂

79. chippy says:

Red Arse,
    Id be carefull if i were you mate lol

80. Red Arse says:

chippy,

Before you get me into trouble, I thought you were referring to me! 🙂

81. chippy says:

Haha Not at all 🙂

Red Arse,

let me introduce myself, Hello and how much did we pay for your transfer fee 😉

83. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey,

Nice to meet you, so to speak, sadly I’m not worth anything, so no trf fee was necessary? 🙂

I do hope we are not thinking of selling Tomas to accommodate Nik. Rosicky has looked back to his best in the warm up games. I don’t see what Bendtner will bring to the side now we have Chamakh other than as a sub.

The world’s gone mad …… 30m euros for a ‘nearly 30 year old’ Spahic is a joke – apparently he’s worth three times as much as Koscielny 🙄

86. chippy says:

Rasp,
    Blimey i hope not 🙂

87. London says:

We’ve got Cesc Fabregas, we’ve got Cesc Fabregas

Now that is my idea of good news. I reckon it might be big enough to get BR to make an appearance.

Al those who doubted him (not on this site) hang your heads in shame.

If we sold Rosicky it would be criminal of the board or whoever is responsible.We have nursed him for about 3 years, never mind the total amount in wages and then just when he gets fit we sell him for peanuts.

Not really business acumen .

London if my latest gets published,don’t read it under the influence 😉

90. Red Arse says:

London,

Who BR?

91. London says:

Hi kelsey

I hope you are enjoying your evening.

Nursing Rosicky through his unfortunate injuries and then giving him a new contract is all about sending the right message to the rest of the squad and to potential new signings.

We are a decent, honest club who, if you play for us, we will look after you in the event of an unforeseen injury.

That said, I would not be surprised if the club now let him go; he needs games and, as far as I can see, his chances are going to be few and far between this coming season

92. London says:

RS

You will meet one of the important stalwarts of this site in the near future…..he is one of the few gentlemen of blogworld.

BTW, I have enjoyed reading your comments and your posts on other sites.

93. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

There is no way in this world Arsene would pay 30m Euros for anyone!

Anyway, the chairman of Montpellier has denied there has been any contact from Arsenal, for Saphic. He went further and claimed he ‘phoned Arsene who reassured him he had not gone behind the chairman’s back, either to the player or his agent.

Mixed messages, as usual, or somebody is telling porky pies, as usual! 🙂

94. Red Arse says:

Thanks London, and I look forward to making BR’s acquaintance in due course. 🙂

95. London says:

Hi Rasp

How are you doing, you must be around somewhere.

We just need Joe Hart to sign today and the party balloons can come out.

96. ArseChicago says:

Here’s a great article from a few days ago (a U.S. website) upping the Gunners.

On the same site today, si.com, they talk about Ozil and where he’ll end up this year. With Kaka out for a few months now, I can see Madrid trying to lure him away, but Arsenal’s mentioned again as a potential suitor. Back during the world cup, I would’ve said yes. But why would we need Ozil at this point? We’ve got Wilshire. Would you trade Wilshire for Ozil today? Putting Jack on the first team this season, to me, is to me at the least no different than had we not had Wilshire and instead bought Ozil. And we all know how giddy with glee something like that would’ve made us. So, yeah, we’ve only brought in Chamakh and Kos, but let’s, too, put some stock in the elevation of Frimpong (‘Big Frimpin’), Wilshere, Nordtveit, and others improving our side as well.

97. irishgunner says:

Afternoon all.

Rico – I agree with you on Bould, I’ve liked the idea of him becoming our next manager for some time now. Nice to see you about 😉

Peaches – I should have did a Cesc piece ha ha.

I don’t want Pat Rice gone, I was just questioning what people think his role is, is he doing it well and would someone else perhaps fill it better? I suppose I could have put it like that but the post would only have been three lines long …. 😀

98. Red Arse says:

Well, I for one liked your post, Irish, and I don’t understand what the kerfuffle, from one or two people, was all about. 🙂

Actually, one of the complainants wrote so obscurely he may have actually been praising you for all I know, (maybe not?) or else couldn’t read your exquisite grammar! 🙂

Perhaps a few more “wivs, dat and deys” in future. 😉

99. irishgunner says:

Red Arse – Nice to meet your acquaintance, I’ve been a bit on and off for the last few days.

I think some people mistook my question for a statement ha ha

I tink I no wich cmment u mean, it haz no real wurds in it zo i did rely get it 😆

100. Red Arse says:

Irish,

I understood every word he wrote, but not when they were joined up.

My loss I suppose? 🙂

101. irishgunner says:

😆 Red Arse I understood it too but lets not encourage him 😉

102. Red Arse says:

BTW, Irish,

Rico has probably buggered off. She usually goes out ringing doorbells and running away or walking her hounds about now. 🙂

Just kidding Rico, if you are out there in the ether reading this. Anyway you can blame Irish for bringing out the worst in me!! 😉 A man’s got to blame someone. 🙂

Hi Irish – I think your piece today tapped into a lot of people’s frustration about what’s been lacking in the last few seasons. However, I think Pat Rice is probably the wrong person to scapegoat. As others have said, we don’t really know what he does for AW and the team. As for his behaviour on the bench – well, I’m not sure what else he’s expected to do. How many Number Twos do you see having blazing rows with the manager during a match?
    And let’s not forget that Ricey was in his post for all the glory years we’ve experienced under AW.

Has anyone spotted the Adebarndoor stories? When he went to Citeh, and the Citeh fans were gloating as if they had pulled off some master stroke, we told them exactly what would happen: he would start well, score some goals, then his effort would tail off, the fans would get frustrated, the offside count would rise inexorably and after a year or so he’d be making want-away noises.
    And lo and behold…

105. irishgunner says:

Red Arse – ha ha I’ve a tendency to bring out the worst in people

Rocky – I don’t believe he needs to go, as I said it was just a question… Should have stuck to one on Cesc lol, Poor Pat, no blogs really write about him, least he knows now he’s supported if he logs on Arsenal, Arsenal 😉

So now the truth emerges Irish… you felt sorry for poor old overlooked Pat and decided to give him his moment in the sun. Can’t fault you for that!

107. irishgunner says:

Rocky – I’ve always got an ulterior motive 😉

108. Red Arse says:

Just kidding Irish. Rico knows I’m a pillock! 🙂

Another site has picked up that Bendy could be out until October, at least. The problem with “chronic” injuries as Tomas Rosicky found, is that it is v. hard to accurately predict recovery times.

Maybe we should buy Loic Remy after all.

109. irishgunner says:

Also on Adebayor – we can we say to Citeh “We told you so”

Irish – that’s what I like about you.

And your Irishness, of course.

112. irishgunner says:

Bendtner seems to have a serious problem with whatever injury it is – groin?

He was rushed back at the end of last season with RvP out, was clearly unfit at the World Cup and surely we’ve learnt our lesson not to rush players back. Not too sure I see Wenger buying another striker though after Chamakh coming in even though Eddie left.

113. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky,

You are right that if Pat tried to publicly (or privately) row with Arsene, he would be out on his ear. But he would never do that anyway!

I found it amusing that Irish picked up on his “mirroring” Arsene’s gestures and movements. I had not noticed that before, so I will be taking a careful note at the next match I go to! 🙂

114. irishgunner says:

😆 Rocky

Did you get to see any of members day? Was it on tv or anything?

Just saw a clip of Cesc look mighty pleased with the reception he got.

115. Red Arse says:

Rocky your 4:58, 🙂 Smoothy!

116. irishgunner says:

Red Arse – there is a great clip of him and Arsene doing this “move forward” motion, Arsene gets more and more agitated doing it and then so does Pat, its very funny, I’ll see if its on youtube.

117. irishgunner says:

Oh and all them Rosicky “rumours” = pah!

He’s not going anywhere…. SUPER TOM!!

Didn’t get to Members Day as I now live in America. There are some photos on Newsnow – he seems happy enough.
    I would still like to see a statement from him though.

Hoorah – Arsenal’s best ever left back has revealed that AW told him Cesc was definitely staying. Kenny Sansom – for it is he – is quoted as saying: “”I’ve had a chat with Arsene Wenger and he told me he’s going to stay, which is great news. It’s a good day for the club, with all the fans being here to see Cesc back here, they all look up to him and it’s great news that he’s stopping.”

120. tommystout says:

perhaps charey will be posting about it soon.

121. tommystout says:

now cesc is staying, he will have to put up with post match interviews and the uncomfortable questions that come with it…. last season was unbearable from my persepctive, lord knows what this season is going to be like.
    my advice to cesc, is come out with one clear statement in the beginning and then let someone else face the cameras after each game.

122. irishgunner says:

Bob Wilson has come out with a statement pretty much like Samson’s, and he reckons Cesc will release his own statement in the next couple of days.

123. tommystout says:

ive a lot of respect for bob wilson, ever since he talked over those prats at Talksport 🙂

124. SharkeySure says:

I’d go one further Tommy.

Make a statement now, then just sneer derisively at any one who asks the question again after that.

Or just walk off half way thru an interview if they persist. But he MUST walk off laughhing and shaking his head..to show that he’s not bothered by it, just tired of it.

125. tommystout says:

yep i’m with you on that one sharkey

126. dizzy says:

pat rice is mr arsenal

127. ArseChicago says:

I’m leaning towards believing that Cesc probably would like to be in Barca this year, but has agreed to stay on one more year with the hope/promise that Wenger will sell him to those bastards next year. I think if Cesc makes a statement talking about his commitment to the club for this year, that would tacitly indicate that. I’d be Fabregasted if any statement of his indicates he’s committed to playing out his contract.

128. irishgunner says:

Pat looks a bit tipsy ha ha

129. Chippy says:

I’m not surprised he’s got groin issues have you seen his Mrs 🙂

130. ArseChicago says:

Just saw Bendtner’s out until October. Hmm, that’s probably not good news.

131. irishgunner says:

😆 Chippy

I suspect its Rosicky’s problem as well…cos like look at him 😳

132. irishgunner says:

Evening ArseChicago – the bad Bendtner news was kinda coming though, we knew he didn’t look fit at all and playing at the WC couldn’t have helped.

133. Chippy says:

Irish, 🙂

Hi London (if you’re still around)

Poor old Pat’s knees are buggered, he limps a tad when he’s walking. As you know I’ve chatted to him a few times and he’s a great guy and a constant reminder of great teams from the past. He understands his role (as required by Arsène) and performs it perfectly.

All this has nothing to do with needing someone on the staff who can get our boys to defend collectively as a team.

One of the things I really don’t like about Theo is that when he loses possession and ends up on the ground, he looks around plaintively for sympathy. He should watch someone like Tevez who would jump up straight away and chase down the ball or at least try to regain possession.

135. rico says:

Nikki B out til October, thats not bad news is it 🙂 🙂

Chamakh, RVP, Theo, Simpson, JET, Vela – who needs Nikki B 🙂

136. charybdis1966 says:

Just back from THOF and I don’t know where you got the “Cesc not training with the squad” info from Rico at 10.46am, but he was training with the rest of the squad not 20 yards away from me this afternoon.

I must have been imagining it ! 🙂

(Psst, I don’t think you can keep Avenell his house that way!)

137. London says:

I find the idea that the club would enter into an agreement of one more year as ridiculous…….not just with Cesc but with any player…….ever.

138. 7masters says:

Guys you got wrong here he does unbelievable job of being Manuel to Basil Fawlty Wenger. The man egos is to big to accept anyone strong minded on his side. These also why it takes him ages to see what is obvious meaning Arsenal Goalkeeper and Defence need serious work.

It east to pick Pat but Wenger is actually more happy with someone he see as safe. Bould would threaten his authority cause he something quite different a mix of George Graham and Wenger football ideas seem to run deep. Any way it look the change of regime is would be soon be upon us. Unless something miraculous happens but don’t hold your breath same mistakes would be made, Plus it seem players talk to much off the field than on it. Zip it and deliver then we would listen.

139. 26may1989 says:

Interesting post Irish, but what do any if us really know about what happens in training? How can we really say anything meaningful about what Rice or Primorac do? Does Wenger surround himself with yes men? I doubt it but perhaps he does, none of us really knows.

One thing we can judge is the need for some decent defensive coaching for the whole squad. Regardless of the personnel, the lack of organisation at times last season was pitiful and I reckon cost us more goals against than goalkeeping errors. I like the idea of Bould playing a role in addressing our defensive frailties but in truth, I have no clue whether he’d have an impact, just because he was a god on the pitch.

morning all,

Peaches, if you’re about, chary’s pics are way too small (8kb) they can’t be enlarged

141. Morning Rasp – ok, thats a shame about the pics maybe he can send them again and we’ll try later.

Shall we post the New Post?

New post ………

143. It seems you got there before me 😛

144. charybdis1966 says:

Hi Raspers, I’m around but unfortunately don’t have access to those pictures till this evening.

I don’t know why they’ve gone so small – I’ve put other pics up on the septic site in the same way and they seemed ok then. Could be a tecchy thing.

145. Hi chary – see you on the next page

146. fripturi says:

Retete fripturi…

[…]Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

147. Anunturi imobiliare…

[…]Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

148. guida mutui says:

guida mutui…

[…]Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

149. plano chiropractic…

[…]Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…

150. Boys Apparel says:

Boys Apparel…

[…]Is it time Steve Bould took over from Pat Rice? « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…