Stay vigilant, Manager of the month‏

Morning all

We start a new week and boy what a week we have just had. Unsurprisingly, Arsène Wenger being voted Manager of the month has been overshadowed by world events. Of course the things that have happened have shocked us all, but that’s life as we know it now. The events that have led to these tragic stories, we can only hope, that it has shown what can and does happen in life, and hope we can learn from these tragedies.

Arsène of course is French, so he would have been knocked sideways by these happenings, but still Manager of the month, and in my mind well deserved, second in the league sharing the same points as leader’s Manchester City. Wenger has got the team together and pulled back the gap that had started to widen, he had stopped the rot you may say.

Yes through our fight, we have had casualties, at present we have almost a whole team of players injured, but by the time the Internationals are over we may just start getting a few back. I never like to predict who will come back from injury, as soon as you say they seem to have a relapse, and then we hear another couple of months.

Some who have had surgery will recover as per normal those with hamstrings should almost be back to normal those with groin trouble who can say, as the groin is a tender place as we all well know. The Internationals came at a time when a few of our players who normally join their countries squads, had been injured, so of course they couldn’t be included, for those who were ok, of course, they joined their squads. What we need to hear after this coming weeks games, is that we have no new injuries.

Our next league game is West Bromwich, hopefully we can assemble a team that can compete, and gain the 3 points on offer. There are some around us that want us leading the league clear by Christmas, and a good possibility of that happening if all goes well. Arsenal it has to be said have huge numbers of injuries every season, whether all clubs suffer the same numbers I am not that sure, but it certainly hurts us.

For those interested, I had my first Pike match yesterday, needless to say only thirteen turned up and only one pike was caught, sadly not by me, blinding bit of news I thought, a little more light hearted than the news we have been hearing, that’s for sure.

For those with season tickets or intentions of attending matches, keep vigilant and keep aware, big stadiums with many people need all eyes open to stay safe. Enjoy your football and respect your neighbour.

Steve Palmer

96 Responses to Stay vigilant, Manager of the month‏

Arnie,

I left a reply to your question about managers, at the end of yesterday’s Post, but in case you miss it and think I was being rude ignoring you, I have pasted it below:

“I have to admit, Arnie, that I do not know who would be a great appointment – but my bet is that there will be a thorough appraisal of any manager who would be interested.

Candidly there is a phenomenon called ‘Wisdom of the Crowd’ where the combined ‘brains’ of a number of people outperforms that of any individual — and there does seem to be a case where a large number of fans of all clubs will agree that Guardiola is the best manager, or Klip Klop is the best manager, and maybe they are right.

My own view is that there is also the question of people agreeing that someone is a great footballer, or manager etc, simply by following like sheep the strongest personalities telling them that ‘X’ or ‘Y’ is the best footballer or manager, or whatever is the case.

So, wisdom of the crowd is fine, being a sheep is not – the problem is knowing which is which. 🙂

I like to think of myself as an independent thinker, which because of the ‘crowd’ phenomena, mentioned above, can be unpopular – but in fact I often come full circle back to a position as in the first paragraph, above, in that I do not always have an answer due to insufficient knowledge or lack of facts, and therefore I am happy to admit to only being able to guess.” 😀

Thank you Peaches for the update as to who is who, and as I understand it, Chas and Norther are either Little Tinkle, and/or Twinkle, Twinkle, and `Eddie’ is Tiggy Winkle.

So that’s cleared up. 😀

A very good Post, Steve, and you were probably best off not getting near the pike.

When taking out the hook after the capture their fearsome teeth can exact severe retribution.

I am not wanting to foist my views on anyone, but fishing for fun is no doubt very satisfying, but I am not keen on those people who catch a fish, smash it on the head with a ‘priest’ to stun or kill it, and then weigh it, photograph themselves with their catch and then just throw it back in dead as they are too boney to eat, like pike, or are not edible like carp.

I don’t suppose that is the case with all fishermen, of course, but I have seen it happen quite a lot up here in Manchester.

I better stick with football, I guess. 🙂

4. Twinkle says:

Redders

Twinkle is me.. Henry!

Injuries………………… we are just two away from a crisis. Giroud and the Big Coq, if they go down??????

Talking of groin strains….. ah no, better not 🙂

5. Twinkle says:

Raddish…

I’m hoping my blog will be up and raring to go next weekend. New ‘puter charger is ordered.

6. I’m a knot ear, but Steve is right to point out the need for vigilance.

I was at Wembley on Friday where Cameron was addressing a 60k crowd who’d come to see the Indian PM. Cameron mentioned that both countries had suffered from terrorist attacks and by a coincidence the Paris attacks were unfolding as he spoke.

As Steve says, for anyone going tonight, keep vigilant and keep aware.

Right, I’m gone.

7. Twinkle says:

Refresh……

A Pike Match. The mind boggles.

Nasty bastards those pikes

Steve. Thank you for the post.

Injuries are part of the fabric of this AFC team. Even though they have changed the medical and fitness teams we still suffer more than any other PL team. AW must be perplexed

CharyB, 🙂

Where have you been? I have been looking for you on 7 a.m., without success.

Anyway, glad you are seemingly well. 🙂

Injury scare for Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez ahead of Premier League return

Last Updated: 17/11/15 1:06pm

Chile will give Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez “until the last minute” to be fit to face Uruguay

Arsenal could be without Alexis Sanchez when they resume their Premier League title bid at West Brom on Saturday.

The forward, Arsenal’s stand-out player this season, is a major doubt for Chile’s World Cup qualifier with Uruguay on Tuesday because of a calf injury.

If he misses that game, the injury and any potential reaction during the long journey back to London from Montevideo could leave him struggling for the trip to the Hawthorns.

Sanchez has carried on his good form from last season, scoring 10 goals in 20 appearances for both club and country this term. All of those goals came within a six-match run and included a hat-trick against Leicester in September.

Sanchez has been struggling with the injury since playing the full 90 minutes of Chile’s 1-1 home draw with Colombia last Thursday.
    Sanchez has scored 10 goals in all competitions this season including seven for Arsenal

Chile manager Jorge Sampaoli said: “Alexis has a pain in his calf and we will wait for him until the last minute to see if he is ready to play.”

As well as their meeting with West Brom, Arsenal have a crucial Champions League fixture against Dinamo Zagreb to prepare for on Tuesday night.

Arsene Wenger’s men must win that match to keep alive their hopes of progressing to the knockout stages.

Morning all,

Thanks for the post Steve and also thanks to Redders for yesterday’s post and the sterling job he does keeping all our spirits up.

We received this email recently headed “Urgent message and concern!”

….. I have been a frequent visitor/ unregistered member of your website http://arsenalarsenal.net and of course an arsenal support but there is something you changed/remove from the website always brought many of us back to check every week.

You removed the comparison table (2-3 previous season ) for the league position after each games. I wish you had thought opinions from you frequent members before removing it. This is a selling point and a very good item.

That table used to be in the right hand column. Please i kindly request that you put it back.

In case you are not putting it back, I request that you suggest to me a site were i can find a similar table. …….

I didn’t know whether to feel flattered or offended by this 🙂

I suppose its good to have folks visiting the site, but since we do not have paying adverts or seek sponsorship in any way, just reading the site without leaving a comment does nothing to enhance AA. We only exist because of the time and effort of those with the controls, and those of you who stick by us through thick and thin.

P.S. I’ve acceded to his request and reinstated the league position widget but I hope the rest of you will understand that the work involved in producing all the other stats is proving too much for me. UTA 😆

Rasp, I have no problem with compiling stats for AA just let me know what is required and I will email them to you after each update.

Thanks GN5, What it needs is for someone to work off my Excel spreadsheet and then to convert the file to a PNG or JPEG and resize it so it works when reduced in the side panel. It’s all the faffing about, cutting and pasting, resizing, importing into photobucket and then producing the widget that takes the time.

Rasp, that sounds a tad out of my range, compiling data is right up my alley but the rest may be a bridge to far……….

16. G’day all,

It looks as though Barney is approaching Norfolk, starting to rain and getting a bit windy too. Nothing too bad yet.

The Belgium/Spain game has been cancelled so Santi should be alright. Germany/Holland to go ahead so Mesut needs to avoid injury. I don’t suppose Giroud will start this evening, but Koscielny will as will Gibbs probably. Still it looks as though the game is going to be more an exhibition than a friendly so there hopefully won’t be any injuries and not too much effort wasted.

Crafty little sods those pike, only thirteen turned up and only one let itself be snagged. If that was the case Steve, how did you know another twelve were there? 😀

Hiya, Lucky, 🙂

I think – no, I am sure – that we all know how much time and effort is required to run the blog.

You and Peaches, have my – our – thanks and admiration for doing so well.

And I know that that dynamic Eric the Gitar Idiom helps too, and although I do not know the ins and outs, it seems that Chas and Exile help with providing data (alto what has happened to the swingy thingy) and now GN5 is also offering additional data.

Perhaps you should go the advert route – that way you could pay to keep the Camel Manand his worms away. 😀

[I love you really GB] 🙂

Rasp

If you send me your spreadsheets, how you convert them to .PNGs, your photobucket login and password, then I don’t mind giving it a go.
    Is it possible to always leave the .PNG with the same name on WordPress? If so, then I could upload a new image, delete the old, rename the new and never have to change which photo is being referenced by WP?

Anyway, send me an email.

Thanks for the posts RA and Steve.

The words to La Marseillaise are quite stirring (probably the wrong word but I can’t think how else to express it).

Wembley is going to be very weird and emotional tonight.

Thanks very much chas 🙂 I’m away from my PC for the rest of the day, but will email you as soon as I get a chance

I’d love to be at Wembley this evening to belt out La Marseillaise – it’s so much better than our national anthem (musically speaking)

For those of a musical taste, who want to join in with a blood thirsty anthem and a great tune, here are the words;

Arise children of the fatherland
    The day of glory has arrived
    Against us tyranny’s
    Bloody standard is raised
    Listen to the sound in the fields
    The howling of these fearsome soldiers
    They are coming into our midst
    To cut the throats of your sons and consorts

To arms citizens Form your battalions
    March, march
    Let impure blood
    Water our furrows

What do they want this horde of slaves
    Of traitors and conspiratorial kings?
    For whom these vile chains
    These long-prepared irons?
    Frenchmen, for us, ah! What outrage
    What methods must be taken?
    It is us they dare plan
    To return to the old slavery!

What! These foreign cohorts!
    They would make laws in our courts!
    What! These mercenary phalanxes
    Would cut down our warrior sons
    Good Lord! By chained hands
    Our brow would yield under the yoke
    The vile despots would have themselves be
    The masters of destiny

Tremble, tyrants and traitors
    The shame of all good men
    Tremble! Your parricidal schemes
    Will receive their just reward
    Against you we are all soldiers
    If they fall, our young heros
    France will bear new ones
    Ready to join the fight against you

Frenchmen, as magnanimous warriors
    Bear or hold back your blows
    Spare these sad victims
    That they regret taking up arms against us
    But not these bloody despots
    These accomplices of Bouillé
    All these tigers who pitilessly
    Ripped out their mothers’ wombs

We too shall enlist
    When our elders’ time has come
    To add to the list of deeds
    Inscribed upon their tombs
    We are much less jealous of surviving them
    Than of sharing their coffins
    We shall have the sublime pride
    Of avenging or joining them

Drive on sacred patriotism
    Support our avenging arms
    Liberty, cherished liberty
    Join the struggle with your defenders
    Under our flags, let victory
    Hurry to your manly tone
    So that in death your enemies
    See your triumph and our glory!

Good luck with remembering that. 😀

Good to see you back, Chas. 🙂

England have bowled and fielded well against Pakistan – now they are batting appallingly.

25. Bloody bell! If they sing the whole anthem the match won’t start until about half eight.

26. The Pakistani fast bowler is a big ‘un, 7ft 1ins (2.16ms ).

And there are 54 other verses, Norflok.

I fear that the England fans will boo when the French anthem starts.

Afternoon all. First chance to get on in a few days and there was RA tempting me out of semi-retirement earlier 🙂

Thanks for the posts RA and Steve.

On yesterdays post it is Guardiola for me RA. I am not sold on any ex legend that has not yet cut his teeth yet no matter how much I think of them and would discard any sentimental considerations.

You touched on the injuries again Steve. I don’t know if there is anything in it and I am not sure where I read it but there was a report where some (ex I believe) players thought our training pitches were too perfect and too firm, which they felt could be part or possibly all of the explanation.

On tonight’s game. England and France…the best of enemies and the best of friends. There is so much history between the two nations and indeed both countries have such a rich history as a whole.

The cultures are so different but the countries are so geographically close. I always tend to look at France and England as 2 siblings that have many differences and find the other perplexing and frustrating at times but also have a (sometimes begrudging) respect and liking of each other. I do personally love France and its culture, and love any visits I have there, but sometimes scratch my head at some of the things that they do, as they likely do with us.

These 2 great cultures have been strong allies for some time now and will continue to be so. That is why it is right IMO for this game to go ahead so that England (well Britain really) can pay its respects and show its support, and these 2 countries can stand together in defiance of these people that do these things.

I hope the English contingent will belt out the French national anthem, although I am not sure how well it will come across in timing and pronunciation.

30. I don’t think that’s likely LB, a few of the nutters maybe but the majority will show the appropriate respect.

It’s a strange thing but ticket sales have rocketed since Friday, a near capacity crowd is expected and a lot of those who have bought tickets in the last two days have done so to show solidarity with the French people.

32. Redders, in that case it won’t kick off before midnight. 😀

35. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Apologies again, Been out all day, just got in, have to earn a crust now and again.

Many thanks to all, Weather here is pretty grim so will be a bad night of football.

I understand how the authorities want this game to continue, but in all fairness, with the players not being really interested, and the result not important, I some how feel that apart from showing a front against Terror, the night would have been better letting every body off.

Playing a game while thousands of people are grieving seems wrong to me some how. Armed guards at the match for the first time in England SAS in attendance lends me to the fact that they believe their could be more carnage tonight.Other games called off and we have to persevere for what, to prove to a load of terrorists that we are not afraid.

There’s a time to grieve and there.s a time to fight. Tonight should be a night to grieve.
    I am as patriotic as the next Englishman, and i hate whats happened , but so close to the last tragedy, surely we have not made this event safe in that time, a few SAS would make me shit myself, but for people who will blow themselves up and take as many innocent’s with them seems stupid.

LB,

I will be disgusted if there is any disrespect shown at Wembley this afternoon. I really hope that British society has not sunk that low and will keep in perspective that its only radical fanatics that would perpetrate such foul acts and not the vast majority of the population.

Damnation.

England are blowing their chances of winning this one dayer by playing safe.

Stylish but crap forward defensive shots should be outlawed by the England hierarchy.

Where’s Lucky Rasper to weave his magic lucky wand when you want him? 🙂

38. Shard says:

Hello everybody.

I’m starting to understand why the British talk about the weather so much 🙂 Crazy winds blowing furniture across the terrace.

Much as I missed football and blogging, it has been good to get away for a while and focus on other things. Plus, the intl break came at a good time for us because hopefully we now get some injured players back.

Interesting comments by Wenger about doping. Might that be a possible explanation of why we suffer more injuries than many others? Wouldn’t surprise me.

As for the attacks in France, I see no reason for the football to not go ahead. Are we also goin to stop going to cafes and concerts and hotels or take buses or trains? Screw that. Life’s too short to worry about such random events. We go on doing what we do. That’s what’s important.

I love the viand vigour of the Marseillaise, but kids learning those verses at school must go crackers.

For myself, even I can manage the first verse of God Save the Queen, but like every decent British man, woman and child of you lot — that’s all I know! 😀

Fabulous evening here. Been raining all day but cleared up and we have clear November skies. Superb for a game of football but sadly I could not get tickets for the sold out Denmark vs Sweden game.

We are 2-1 down from the first leg. Hopefully Bendtner can score and just for once I will be supporting Eriksen

Kom nu Danmark!

Shard. Good to see you on AA again

I had a call this morning about the weather, Raddy, not Storm Barney over here, but a huge snow storm in Kansas and boy, I had forgotten just how much snow can be dumped in such a short time when Mother Nature is in the mood. 🙂

Hi Shard,

Are you implying that the beer swilling British talk about the weather a lot to disguise the human wind blowing chairs around.

Ask GoonerB, and he will tell you camels are the real masters of the fart, and Terry would lose his wig if he went too close. 🙂

Hi Redders, I don’t think we’ve blown the cricket, we’re nicely on course for a comfortable victory (until the middle order collapse arrives that is 🙂 )

Absolutely the game should go ahead.

I have no shadow of a doubt that our fans will sing La Marseillaise with great gusto.

We British are great at self deprecation, but at times like this we show we still have the spirit that saw us through the dark days of the blitz.

45. Shard says:

RA

Everyone knows Americans are the greatest windbags. Especially people in the midwest, which go towards making Chicago the windy city 🙂

Rasp
    While having a play, I realised you have Alexis and Giroud transposed at the top of the goals widget. Giroud on 8 and Alexis 7.

Bloody cheek, Shard – altho there is an element of truth in there – mind you, no one, I repeat no one, can beat GoonerB and his camels — well except maybe a Norfolkian! 🙂

48. Engand playing safe Redders? We’ve just won by six wickets. Heaven help the our opponents if we start actually playing to win.

😀

Well we won, you rotten doubter, Lucky, — umm no, maybe that was me ( 🙂 ) – but the lads played much better when Taylor and Buttler claimed a run a ball with some ease.

I love the Buttler, despite his rough run lately, but 5′ 5″ Taylor should have been in the team long ago, and would have been if big mouth Pietersen had kept his mouth firmly shut. 🙂

The early part of the game was not good, Norfolk, – 17 consecutive overs, with wickets going down, and not one 4 scored in that period.

A tortoise would have been impressed, not that I am saying you are an impressed tortoise – now would I? 😀

51. Shard says:

RA

Have you ever seen a tortoise? Those things certainly seem like they’d be very hard to impress. They just have that sad resigned look that says they’ve seen it all and don’t much like it.

Shard,

That sums up Norfolk perfectly – have you met him? 🙂

Ciao, bambinos, 🙂

54. There’s no need to meet me to see a tortoise, check out Radar O’Reily’s impersonation of a tortoise in M.A.S.H. or was it a turtle? Same thing…..sort of.

During the Pakistani innings some clown put up a caption reading “105 balls since a boundary” The next few overs brought a rash of sixes and fours.

Lulling them in to a false sense of security Redders. 😀

55. Steve, surely showing a united front against terrorism is the whole point of the match following the atrocities in Paris.

I have been an England supporter for most of my life. Have been to countless Wembley internationals and even travelled abroad to support England.

But this mob who are playing tonight are so bloody difficult to like. They play awful football, have almost no flair, are completely unwilling to take a chance and be creative.

The only players who have a soupçon of charisma are Sterling, Hart, Stones and perhaps Rooney. The rest are grey (apart from Gibbs 😀 )

Dull, dull, dull

We need Wilshere, Ox, Sturridge and Welbeck to bring some shine to this side.

I saw this earlier and it tickled me.
    Irish fans join in La Marseillaise.
    Bugger the words, not important. 🙂

Gutted

My favourite non-Arsenal player just put Denmark out of the Euro’s

60. Not a great match but England ultimately won, Giroud took some stick from Cahill who seemed intent on injuring him.

I thought Gibbs had a very good game, he needed a bit of match practice so I’m not sorry he played the full ninety minutes.

As far as it was possible to tell, watching on the tele, the crowd behaved impeccably and the evening went off rather well.

61. Tough luck BR, there’s always next time by when Ibra will have retired. 😀

RA, just checking back and really sir, all that talk associating me with flatulancing practices.

Raddy your 8.27, I have one other England player you didn’t mention in your like list that I particularly like and would actually like to see in an Arsenal shirt. He didn’t have the greatest of games tonight but I think that Arsenal and AW could really bring out his best. Not going to tell you who it is though so naaahh.

Wonderfully scenic views as the sun starts to get his act together.

Amidst all the terrible events of recent days, nature goes about its business rising above the doings of man, with the black silhouette of mighty oaks limned against the lightening sky and edged by the smaller trees is just so magical and gradually and unstoppably changing by the second.

Just saying.

And then there is Chas with his vids – just as magical-ish.

Morning Chas. 🙂

From the ridiculous to the sublime

Ey up,

Clever camera work last night, no close up of either the England team or the English fans while the Marseillaise was being sang. All went off without a hitch I suppose. France has stepped up its air strikes on Raqqa, I wonder if the women and children who loose their lives in that will make the front pages of our newspapers?

Jumping Cats, Cucumbers. Who could ask for more?

Someone with an ounce of intelligence?

I must have missed the news of Mickish’s retirement fromAA – or has his other hand atrophied with all that cycling malarkey? 🙂

Watching the cricket yesterday, and reinforced by the brief chat I had with NG, I realised that I had more Micky type tendencies in that sport than I had appreciated — well not cat thingys, amusing though they are — but the ‘attack, attack, attack’ stuff.

Clearly he is a bad influence. 🙂

70. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    very happy to report that England France game went off without incident.

Of course I watched the game, and it was quite a spectacle, both sets of fans were respectable. Many of the players were not really up for this game as France captain Loris commented before the game, no french player was asked just told they were playing,

Although the night went off without incident and a fine night of entertainment it turned out to be, I felt that the event was a poltical statement rather than just a football match.

Yes at times I suppose we have to show some people that it’s right to go ahead and show a united front but not at a risk of people’s lives. But that’s just a lone voice. Glad every body got home safe.

What is it with cats and cucumbers? I have to test it on my Lilly, if I manage to get her off the bed

74. First Sampan says:

For yesterday’s post, there is only one person to consult and he is the man who “discovered” Arsene the Great… David Dein

nobody is Indispensible.
    I am sure that Dein had a whole team of professionals at his disposal looking to appoint a new manager.

I cannot believe that LB thought some English fans would not respect the French last night. I had no doubt it was going to be a perfect tribute to the dead. And it was.

Bill Shakily said

Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Morning all. Shocking news about Jonah Lomu. 42 years old…. I knew he was not a well man after an interview with him before the rugby world cup but I didn’t realise it was that bad. Anyway a sporting great in my book, someone that would get you out of your seat when in full flow.

79. You’re going to test your lilly with a cucumber? What ever do you mean Eddie?

Have you been to many England games Eddie? I suspect not, if you had you may understand why I had such a fear.

Be in no doubt though, I am glad it all went well.

LB – no, I haven’t. But I know that in the face of adversity the English rise to the occasion; yesterday was on of those occassions

82. Red Arnie says:

Motning all. I am glad all went well. But I agree with LB. I think it is always a better idea to go for applause rather than silence. It takes just one idiot to spoil the show. And there are far more idiots in society than 1 in 40,000.

Steve, very nice post. 🙂 sorry, knot ear these days. 😦

RIP Lomu,

Sad Giro did not score, but happy that the shooting boots are kept in readiness for Olympiacos. 🙂

Morning all,

Anyone got a few thoughts as a topic for the day?

I see Arsene has commented on the use of drugs in football again. Are we at the very beginning of what coiuld become another massive shake up in sport with revelations about footballers and performance enhancing drugs? …. I have predicted this ……

Perfect job for a camel-worming gooner?

That is really not acceptable Kelsey – this is not the time or place.

Wormy,

Jonah had kidney disease while playing during 1997, and he later realised that he had not felt well for a couple of years before that.

He had to retire early because of it, and was in the last throes when in 2009 he had a kidney transplant and unbelievably returned to Rugby playing in France (to make a living I suppose) after that.

He was in recent times waiting for another transplant as the first one was failing.

He commentated for TV on the WC last month and then returned to NZ where he suddenly died.

What a fantastic player, and by all accounts a terrific human being off the park. Very sad, especially as he leaves a wife and young family.

Raddy,

I think Shankly said, when interviewed before a game ‘it’s not a matter of life or death – it’s more important than that’.

In my opinion, he was, of course, only kidding for then sake of effect. 🙂

Cheers R.A, hope you are well. I like that term “wormy”. It sounds very endearing and makes me go a bit tingly 🙂

Wormy! 😀

Thanks to Redders ……

…. New post …..

Please remove it Rasp-, but keep your nose out of it Henry