Arsène helps out world cup winners and a quick look at our new signings‏

Morning all

Champions League – is it so important for securing top talent? Many’s the time I read how top players want Champions League football and will only transfer to clubs who have qualified. Manchester United’s failure to qualify seems to have proved that theory wrong. Falcao’s last minute signing seems to prove, that some top players will actually sign just for the wages a club will pay.

On a reported £300,000 a week, on a one year loan, could certainly be a good reason. If United fail to qualify next year he could be on the move again. United have reportedly paid £6 million for a one year loan with the option to buy at the end of the loan. Falcao is a top player, we know that, many Arsenal supporters were broken hearted that Falcao signed for United instead of Arsenal, and in return all we got was United reject Danny Welbeck.

Arsenal are not known for the multi buying of Marquee players. Last years signing of Mesut Ozil was a massive statement by the club, that they are now in the market for Marquee signings. Again this season the pattern changed again, Arsenal sorted out this seasons Marquee signing Alexis Sanchez very early in the window, replacements for Bacary Sagna  in Mathieu Debuchy from Newcastle also went through quickly.

Replacing our No 2 keeper Lucas Fabianski with Ospina also an early addition, showed that Arsenal were not just looking for bargains as in previous seasons. Arsene Wenger has always kept his eye open for young players who could fit in with the Arsenal system, and once again he cast his eye over Southamptons  youngsters. As we know in the past Arsene has found Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlaid Chamberlain, and they have fitted in well, this time Arsene saw a young man who many of us hadn’t, in Calum  Chambers. At 19 years old, with only limited first team games for Southampton he caught Arsene’s Eye. Arsene paid £16 million for Chambers which seems a lot for an unknown talent, but being English maybe that bumps the price up.

Chambers came in early pre season, so was used in warm up games, and for the Emirates cup games, he has made an impression from the off. He was probably not intended to be used from the start of the season but because of world cup inclusion from our German contingent, Chambers was used and certainly impressed. I expect that he will now be used as cover for this season. Brought at first as a right back, so I would have assumed he would have been cover for our new signing Debuchy but has now shown that he is an excellent Centre back as well.

Chambers has now caught the eye of England Manager Roy Hodgson and been called up to play for his country in the Euro qualification matches. He came on as a sub in England’s first friendly and had a good début performance. and I am sure will be an inclusion for the foreseeable future.

My comment at the start of this post, was I am sure you know, tongue in cheek about Danny Welbeck, when I said ‘all we got’, I imagine one or two of you felt I was a little hard, on the contrary I was a very happy bunny. Its my opinion that United have made a huge mistake off loading Welbeck to us. He’s an England international and now that Sturridge has picked up a thigh injury, our Danny has stepped up to the plate. Two signings and straight away England players as well.

Of course both these players have already been involved with England, but not as Arsenal players, and I am wondering if our Arsene is working his magic once again. World cup winning teams of the past have had Arsenal players in key positions. France’s world cup had Petit, Henry and Vieira where Germany’s world cup winners had Ozil, Mertsacker and Podolski now we have England that got knocked out early this time round, but certainly could be a force next time round.

I remember Wenger saying, that we wouldn’t believe the job offers that he had received, and I am pretty certain that one of those offers might have been the England job. Obviously Arsene would have said no, he had started a job at Arsenal and wouldn’t feel that he should leave until the Arsenal were back up there challenging.

But maybe he promised to help as much as he could and now with Walcott, Gibbs, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Welbeck and  Chambers, England have almost a full team of Arsenal players or is it a coincidence?

Have a nice day.

Written by Steve Palmer

116 Responses to Arsène helps out world cup winners and a quick look at our new signings‏

1. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    Thank you Peaches, you made that readable xx

2. arnie says:

Motning all, and a proper FIRST, ignoring the cheating comment put up by Steve at 10AM. 😛

Great stuff, Steve. 🙂

So, you claim, Arsene has an eye towards the England team of the future and plans to have an Arsenal party in there. Nothing wrong with that, given that all the other clubs have followed the oilers into getting superstars in at over-inflated prices. Even ManUre who traditionally have been a haven for English players, are now shooing the likes of Welbeck away. This is therefore an opportunity. 🙂

Whether this will produce a world beating team in the future I doubt very much, but that is a minor niggle. 😛 Lovely stuff. 🙂

3. Kevin Nyakiti says:

Wow just as I dream every single day

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Arnie and Kev,
    I don’t know if you remember, but i remember reading how the FA asked Arsene if he could bring some English players through, Now i assume other Managers would have been asked as well, but as we know, many others have not kept their own jobs that long. 🙂

Steve. 🙂

A very good Post, and will chime with many fans, although I am pleased that you clarified your early comment about Danny Welbeck.

If you have read any of the Manc blogs, you will have seen that the overwhelming feeling has been of shock and would be like the feelings of Arsenal fans if Jack had been sold to Liverpool.

He is a good buy, and will be invaluable to us in Giro’s absence.

As regards Falcao, there is no doubt that he is a classy goal scorer, but his transfer fee and wages are obscene even in this era of bloated players’ wages. It also seems that he may be 30 years old and not 28, and if so, that makes his near £60m transfer fee completely crazy and I am glad we stayed out of it.

6. Sav from Australia says:

Nice post, Steve.

I think Arsene was not joking when he told the media to give him some time and you will have a good national team. Will they still be happy to kick the shit of England’s best hopes at International competitions, I wonder. With more English players coming through the ranks and the club looking to secure promising local talent as part of the home grown policy, it does seem like the future England teams might have a distinctly Arsenal flavour.

Terry,

I am not feeling too well this morning, but after reading your comments and responses to Steve and myself earlier, you made me laugh out loud and brought a tear to my eye with the pathos of the ‘classy’ Harrods bag over your head for special occasions rather than your regular Tesco bag.

You are one of life’s natural comedians and it is a pity that you did not take it up professionally earlier to allow a wider audience to enjoy your madcap style.

I have a cousin (I will not name him) who is a well known TV performer both here and in the US, and I mentioned you to him, but he told me it is hard to get into the business, and it has many downs as well as ups. (Altho’ when I go out clubbing with him I think it could be worth it.)
    Anyway, perhaps your choosing to be an accountant is a more secure way to earn some money.

Thank you for cheering me up today – just don’t take the bag off! 🙂

Nice one, Steve.
    Not long before this happens again. 🙂

It seems really strange wanting to watch an England game tonight.

Is this true, Terry?

Whoops, sorry, I forgot that Bambos uses a banned word, hence previous comment in moderation.

12. stevepalmer1 says:

Many thanks for your comments.
    Being English and having many of our noses rubbed the wrong way for such a long time, I would like to see England rise above the mist.
    Now of course i realise that many Nations have very good football teams, so rising above the lot seems like a tall order.

Now many of you are from all corners of the planet, and of course to many of you, you would prefer England to stay as they are. Of course i understand that, But never the less we are building a team for the future, I believe that we are growing in stature and we are a young squad Our players play in what is termed as the best League in the world.

Many who read this, who are from other countries, Naturally feel that your squads are the same, and i don’t blame you, but believe me, when your country face England again expect a very competitive game, as we are growing very fast, Tonights game will be the start of our rise, may take a while but not that long. 🙂

13. arnie says:

That is inspirational, Steve. 🙂

IMO, it is not us and them. England is just so far away from the world frontier in football, and have stayed so far away so bloody long, that it is almost unbelievable that in 4 or 8 years it will get there.

But certainly, if the English peoples do not believe in their national team, then the team has no chance at all. No nation has ever won the World Cup without the whole-hearted support of its population, plus a healthy proportion of the neutrals around the world.

In so far as Arsenal’s objective of breeding and sustaining the core of English talent goes. If this were true, it is immensely laudable, and I believe all fans would support it. On with it, then. 🙂

14. stevepalmer1 says:

Cheers Arnie.
    Football is a game of results, bad results bring critisism winning results build belief.

English press will always find negatives whether we win lr not, but sustain the wins and the press will quieten.

The public read the press and watch the media, they also watch the games, up to now results have not been that good and the Press have had a field day.

What is world news, usually bad news of wars or disasters, the press build stories on bad happenings forgetting all the good things in the world.

England will rise, i have no doubts about that, but for the time being the press will do what they always do build you up to knock you down .

Results are what makes the difference, a win and a bad performance still goes down in the records as a win, so that is how England’s future has to be win win win. 🙂

Thanks Steve. I am glad I read to the end before remonstrating with you about the Utd reject part.

I don’t think that every signing needs to be Marquee, and what is a marquee signing anyway? We still need to trust AW to find some well priced players that turn out to be better than what we paid. I think that Chambers and Welbeck could come into that catagory, even though £16m is still a reasonable outlay.

Personally I didn’t really want either Falcao or Cavani at the prices and wages required. The £50m values and excessive wages are skewed IMO anyway, and don’t or never have reflected their true abilities or value. Those figures only came about because irresponsible clubs with funds external to those genuinely available to the club have gone overboard to secure these players. It doesn’t mean Cavani is worth £55m. If he was available at £35m and £150kpw then I would want AW to take a harder look at it.

There is no guarantee that these 2 players didn’t hit their purple patch 2-3 years ago anyway and that they still have this level of performance in them. There is also no guarantee that what they have done in other leagues will be replicated in the EPL. I was for Welbeck all along and would have chosen him ahead of those other 2. An EPL adapted home grown 23 year old who may be about ready to move on to another level is a bonus at £16m. Even if he doesn’t become a prolific goal-scorer he will still be a very useful player to have and will justify the £16m. AW can then decide if he needs to add anything further to the squad in January or next year.

Ok maybe 1 or 2 marquee signings. Marco Reus please.

On the England thing I think it was wrong to give Rooney the captaincy. This is not an anti Rooney rant as I think he is a quality player but I feel there is more competition in his position and would have given the armband to someone who will be harder to replace like Joe Hart. Rooney has rarely turned it on for England and too often you feel the team has been set up around him or to accomodate him with many referring to him as our true world class player. Is his inclusion in the starting 11 even more nailed on now he is England captain?

If Welbeck steps up a level with us then I would add him to a list of young, talented, improving, and attacking England players including Sterling, Sturridge, Walcott, and the Ox, that could develop into an attacking unit that is every bit as good as the other top international sides. That is a list of 5 players, 6 including Rooney, all vying for 4 slots (striker, number 10, and 2 wide positions). With the others on the list all bringing more pace to the attack, and many of them equally comfortable both centrally and when pulling wide, if everyone is fit, is Wayne Rooney still the best man for one of the roles?

Thanks for the good read Steve.

Welbeck still has a way to go to win my love, a goal against spuds would go a long way though.

Like Chas, I find it a bizarre feeling that I am looking forward to watching tonight’s England game.

18. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂 “the press build stories on bad happenings forgetting all the good things in the world”. Yes, I agree. Plus, there is something a bit negative in the English/British psyche as well. IMO. 😦

GB: Top comment. Nothing to disagree with. Yes, I did not want the likes of Falcao and Cavani as well. For exactly the reasons you have said. And Khedira likewise. And I like Reus as well.

However, Reus has been in the treatment room much of last year, and he seems to be out again. Good news is that this could reduce his price for next year. Another piece of nifty beautiful crocked crockery for the display cabinet? Maybe. But still I do like him. 🙂

On Welbeck, I agree he is a good addition for the moment and for the price. But I reserve my opinion otherwise. Young, British, homegrown, already an integral member of the national side, has speed, can play left side, has a permanent smile on his face, what is there to dislike? Except two things.

First, some fans feel that any Tom, Dick and Harry is better than our own good guys, and this includes Giroud, to some extent Sanogo as well. I have deep aversion to this “the grass is always green on the other side” attitude. Before deciding on whether he is an upgrade on Giro, let us see results for a year is all I say.

Second, I like a good Gooner Arse, but have terrible aversion to the stench of ManUre or Chelshit and the like. Let us see the character change, the stench convert into a beautiful aroma. I will eagerly wait and watch. I reserve my opinion. 🙂

19. arnie says:

LB. I agree, except that a goal against ManUre will be even better. And a goal against ManUre and then refusing to celebrate will be true class! 😛 We live in hope! 🙂

Arnie, if reports are to be believed then Reus has a £20m or so release clause coming into force next year. That is cheap for someone of his ability so I expect no fewer than 8 clubs to trigger his clause; Our big 5 plus the big 2 in Spain and Bayern. You may find Juve and A.C also enter the fray. It will all come down to where he wants to go. Lets hope AW can weave his charm again and that it is not all about the wage packet to Reus.

With regard to our existing strikers I like Ollie and want him playing for us, but last year I feel we needed a better 1st choice striker. I haven’t changed my mind, not if we are serious about genuinely challenging for the EPL and ECL regularly.

Sanogo is a mystery to me. I can see his attributes and that he may become decent but I feel he is a long way off at present and ought to be proving he can score regularly at under 21 or reserve level. If he can then a spell at a decent mid table club should be the next step and if he scores regularly there then he is ready for a chance in our 1st team.

I know his game is not purely about goals but if you are going to lead the line at a club like Arsenal you can’t be hitting less than 20 goals and I don’t see that in him at the moment. I don’t understand AW’s stance on the sheer amount of time he is getting in the 1st team. It baffles me even more when you see someone like Afobe, who is roughly the same age, scoring regularly and he hasn’t even been shown a sniff of 1st team action.

I also feel it could ruin Sanogo if he is too near the 1st team now. If he doesn’t perform the crowd could get on his back and I feel he is maybe being unfairly exposed before he is ready. I may have to eat humble pie on this one you never know.

Nice post Steve, the one player that in my opinion has been overlooked far too frequently is Gibbs, ok Cashley had the shirt buttoned down for a good few years, but to take Baines to WC and continue with him in what is supposed to be a rebuilding of a young side seems ridiculous, at 29 he is too old to be getting international experience, if much rather Gibbs and Shaw fight for the spot, but Gibbs has never been considered, injury record is a possibility. England’s loss is Arsenals gain.

We could well have a good set of youngsters to feed the national team but perhaps one of the biggest problems is that very few of their teammates in the national side will have the composure of their Arsenal teammates and themselves when receiving the ball under pressure.

When Wilshere was first in the national team he would often be overlooked by StevieMe in favour of a 90 yard Hollywood pass, simply because he had a defender close, and StevieMe prefers to give ball back to their keeper than lose it in our midfield.

22. arnie says:

GoonerB. 🙂 I am listening, and may come round to the mainstream view ultimately. For the moment, Welbeck should get a decent run in the team. If by the end of the year, he scores at least about 15-20 with about 15 or so assists, at the same time as keeping himself away from injury, then I can be persuaded.

Incidentally, that was what Ollie did last year! But then, statistics always lie, dont they, it is what fans feel about individual players that reigns supreme. 🙂

On Sanogo, personally I am still quite bullish:

France Under-21s v Iceland Under-21s, Monday, September 8
    Yaya Sanogo scored twice to help France Under-21s to an emphatic 5-1 win away to Kazakhstan. Morgan Sampson put Les Bleus ahead on 17 minutes before Layvin Kurzawa added a double before half-time. The Arsenal forward netted a quick-fire brace early in the second half before he was replaced on 62 minutes.

Source: arsenal.com

23. stevepalmer1 says:

Thanks lads and agree with most of the comments, Am trying to fit a shed door so backwards and forwards, will try to answer any questions later but you already know all the answers 🙂

Good post, thanks steve!

would you say that managing English team is a better job than managing Arsenal? I think I’d disagree; it is a harder job and definitely a poisoned challis, perhaps more prestigious, but not better.

It is true that ManU got Falcao despite not playing in CL, but the price tag reflects that. They had to pay top dollar to lure players. Had they been in CL Falcao would have joined them on a long term contract for half the money. He is on loan and basically saying – ok, I let’s try – we play in CL next season I will stay….no Cl and good bye.

oh I am so looking forward to seeing our new tall striker tonight

No more heroes anymore……..

27. Good afternotn

Steve, I don’t think you can compare the French WC winning team of ’98 and it’s Arsenal contingent with ze German WC winning team of 2014. Firstly and slightly pedantic, Thierry wasn’t yet a Gooner when he won the world cup. Secondly, only Ozil really put in a shift for ze Germans this year, Mert and Poldi were hardly used. 🙂

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Northbank, it shows i didn’t do the homework. And you caught me out mate. But it got you talking and that’s what its all about.

Definitely a slow worm, GIE, they like to find somewhere warm, on or on a compost heap, or anything that retains heat.

Cute little fellas and entirely harmless.

I often find up to 10 or 12 of them basking in ‘secret’ parts of the garden, mine are a beautiful golden colour at the moment.

30. RC78 says:

+1northbank regarding France 98

In any case, we can maybe compare it with Spain 2008 whose players were largely from Barça and Real Madrid.

Hopefully, Arsenal can emulate both these teams by winning the league and the Champions League with a contingent of players who are English nationals 🙂

Technically, with our players on loan, we have a good core of English players:

Jenkinson, Chambers, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade, Walcott, Welbeck and you can even add Afobe who is reguarly called at the under-21 level.

Besides, Jenkinson and Afoge, the others can definitely be starters for AFC so we could have a squad that could be the core of England, which would be actually great.

Szezesny – Debuchy, Chambers, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshere – Walcott, Welbeck, Oxlade

Of course, this would mean that BFG, Ozil and Sanchez lose their spots to Chambers, Wilshere and Oxlade but in some games, it might be feasible in between injuries, cup games and other dips in form

31. Shard says:

Thank you for the post Steve. A good read, even though it was mischievous of you to distract everyone with the Welbeck baiting 🙂

It’s strange, but I think another of my favourite blogs (7amkickoff) has just published two articles that would add to the debate in conjunction with yours. The first one focuses on Arsene’s commitment/preference to building with a British Core when he first came to the club, and the one just before takes a look at when the best age might be to buy a player with the conclusion that they are peaking earlier than before (A point I’d seen made some few years ago when it was pointed out that the Balon D’or winners were getting younger – although that is not a conclusive argument)

The argument that players are harder to get if you cannot offer them CL had hardly been disproved by ManU’s purchase of Falcao or even Di Maria. The CL, apart from it’s appeal to the sporting nature of the…uh..sportsmen, also offers increased exposure, which in turn offers them more avenues to make money. ManU have paid ridiculous amounts precisely because they had to try and make up for the lack of CL, and notwithstanding, have hardly had a stellar transfer window.

As for Falcao being a top player, I’m not so sure. He was undoubtedly a brilliant goalscorer when at Atletico Madrid but even then he was accused of being ‘only’ a goalscorer and nothing else. His figures are also boosted by goals scored from penalties. Even the move to Atletico was a weird one because he could probably have moved to a bigger club from Porto (his ‘owners’ probably had something to do with that – just like with his move to Monaco)

Falcao hasn’t played in the CL since 2010, when he faced Arsenal in the game where Bendtner got a hattrick and we won 5-0. How many have watched him play at Monaco? He’s now 28 or 29, with some dispute over his age, has had his third knee injury, and I am not so sure he is going to be a world beater. I can’t speak for the Mancs because I don’t watch them enough, but I think Falcao would have failed to settle into Arsenal’s style of play. At that price that was never going to happen anyway. The video made by Cullann Davies of Welbeck (put up on the previous article’s comments section) shows what Welbeck could bring to us, even though he still has some things to improve on. He may not be a ‘marquee’ signing, but he could yet have us Arsenal gents pitching a big tent soon. 🙂

32. RC78 says:

I watched Falcao at Monaco and when fully fit, the guy is a goal-machine and he can score from anywhere. He is not only a goal-poacher, he is really good at scoring from right outside the box and for a small guy, he is ok with headers (not great).

Would he have fitted our style? Yes because his runs are good and he is capable of also holding the ball up and releasing his teammates. He is quite a handful, you will see.

Steve. Thank you for an enjoyable read.

What is strange about Arsene working towards helping the England team by developing English talent is that he is a Frenchman, yet the few English managers do not give a monkey’s cuss about the national side.

I wonder what the England team would look like had Arsene picked it

34. Afternoon all

I’m very excited at the thought of lots of Arsenal players scattered through the England team. When they perform well it’s fantastic for us, as Arsenal supporters and I’m full of hope that this lot will turn the whole country into Gooners while they’re in England shirts.

How funny would that be 😉

35. Raddy – it just goes to add to the classiness of the man.

Arsene will, of course, only be interested in watching the French team though 😉

36. You can hide but you can’t stop me asking ………….

Need posts for the next few days please …….

37. BR

If Wenger had picked the England national side it would look like this:

—————–Lloris—————–
    Debuchy….Kos….Varane……..Digne
    —————–Pogba——————
    Sissoko——–Sneiderlin——–Cabaye
    ———-Remy———— Canaye——–
    🙂 🙂 🙂

38. that should have been cabella

39. Shard says:

RC78

If you say so. Although his fitness is also one of the things in doubt, so qualifying your statement by saying ‘when fully fit’ is a bit of a cop out 🙂

40. stevepalmer1 says:

Arsene has been in England, Managing Arsenal almost as long as most of the England Players, He has watched them all come through more or less, and now he is supplying half the team. Arsene has a love of England, Its made him a very wealthy man, why shouldn’t he.

RA thanks for confirmation, cute little fella, having read that they eat slugs and snails I wish I’d taken him into the garden.

Think he has been driven out the field opposite by Anglian Waters flood alleviation works….

So England are playing the rookie Delph ahead of the Ox who has played against the likes of AC milan and bayern and it looks like he is playing Wilshere as the deepest or holding midfielder while giving Henderson the slightly more advanced attacking role. Nice one Woy.

oh dear. good night.

44. Shard says:

Poor Wilshere looks like he’s been abandoned in midfield to take care of a nervous/out-of-his-depth Delph, while I don’t think I even saw Henderson. Welbeck looks isolated up front. But England have ‘The Excellent’ Baines, and Captain Wayne getting a few touches, so that’s nice.

Although they could have scored, England have been lucky to not be behind. All this new era talk is being exposed here unfortunately. England could be good. Not world beaters overnight, but good. Not to be it seems. Still, with the Euros now expanded to include 24 teams, England will qualify, making this and the entire European qualification process a waste of time basically. And here we all are wasting our time 🙂

Evening all.

Thanks for post Steve. Will read in the morning.

Caught 30 mins of that. Is Strictly Coming Dancing on? Might be more exciting 🙂

46. arnie says:

just saw this on tele during half time. Nice. 🙂

Oh god noooo, just seen the ad with our boys in it !!!

ha ha Arnie

8::44 you say nice, I say oh god nooo 🙂

Just a thought
    If the Jocks go for independence, will England fans add verse 6 of God save the Queen

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring
    May he sedition hush
    And like a torrent rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush
    God save our Queen

🙂

ok, promise to belt up and watch the football

51. arnie says:

Micky. 🙂

And on cue, Welbeck!!!!!!!!

52. arnie says:

G s(h)ave TQ? what on earth is that? 😛

1-0 to the Arsenal

That’s qualification done 🙂

54. arnie says:

Micky, dont need to remind you what happened when the Roman army marched northwards from Hadrian’s Wall? 😛

55. Where is everyone?????? Our Danny just scored 🙂

56. arnie says:

Peaches. Everyone was here just a moment earlier. But now that the matriarch has arrived, who knows! 😛

here I am Peaches, proud as a punch after Danny’s goal 🙂 Why on earth did I think he was a rubbish signing? stupid me

arnie – I hate that ad. Santi is a giant, Alex is beautiful, Theo is unique, so I only agree about Giroud, and even that not 100%. Stupid ad, but I know I know stupid ads are remembered better than the witty ones. Like that little onanist Alexander Meerkat

58. I thought you went to bed Evonne 😉

59. I love that advert but I think only Gooners should see it 😉

Agree with that Peaches. Put it this way, if I was an opp. defender, I’d be having words with Ollie about it throughout a game 🙂

yessssss

62. We’ve got an England centre forward he he 🙂

63. This was after the first goal

64. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha, 2-0 to the Arsenal!!!!!! 🙂

on the ad: who better than the good guys to have a laugh at themselves and stand up for a good inclusive cause!!!!!!

65. arnie says:

great away support as well. nice to hear the anthem so many times! 🙂

What a lovely smile!

67. arnie says:

68. arnie says:

69. stevepalmer1 says:

Give him an Arsenal shirt and he scores,Danny Danny Danny you might have had an England shirt on tonight, but we all know who your England mates are , you cannot beat celebrating with Arsenal boys, or should i say England.

2 well taken goals

70. arnie says:

71. arnie says:

good call, Steve. 🙂

72. stevepalmer1 says:

Welbeck, Now worth 20 million

73. stevepalmer1 says:

I love everything Arsenal, but i wont be getting Rainbow laces.

74. arnie says:

only 20?

75. stevepalmer1 says:

🙂

76. stevepalmer1 says:

78 year old Septic Bladder will be standing to stay in Charge of FIFA he stated that overwhelming support has made him try.

What a load of crap

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Peaches 🙂
    Nte all

Steve

Bit late, I know, but thanks for the read.

“Its my opinion that United have made a huge mistake off loading Welbeck to us”……. very prophetic after last night’s Welbeck performance. Move over Crystals 🙂

Was very tied up yesterday, but not with those rainbow laces you won’t be going out to buy today 🙂

Damn, there are some tasty fixtures coming up. Next 7:

City
    Dortmund
    Villa
    Southampton
    Spurs
    Galatasaray
    Chelsea

I keep seeing #datguy on twitter about Danny Welbeck and wondered where it came from…………

There’s a cult following of Ravel Morrison’s tweets about you. He tweeted: “Welbz is dat guy”. Were you aware of that? And are you ‘dat guy’? – Tom Coast
    Ravel is too much! [laughs] In Manchester where we both grew up, it’s sort of a slang term as praise, ‘He’s just that guy.’ That guy could be anything, though. But that’s funny that Rav said that. I’m not on twitter so I had no idea about it and I’d not seen that before. Rav is dat guy though.

You can either listen to this, or if you’re not in touch with your inner vibrations and more in tune with your raw animal instincts, then just watch it 🙂

Wow, that was nearly as horny as a gong bath. 🙂

Do you think it says ‘End’ on the rest of the shirt?

First time I watched 90 minutes of an England game in hmmmm, well as far as I can remember.

If someone had said to me just one month ago that watching England would go some way to easing the emptiness of the Interlull I would have said to them that they are mad.

Can’t understand why Delph played instead of the Ox. Last night was set up for him. Good to see JW play as a DM and not disgrace himself, and DW was very good.

The man who really surprised me was Sterling. I thought he was an unintelligent Scouse flash in the pan but no, he is a terrific player. Hopefully he will burn out in a couple of years because if he doesn’t Liverpool have a gem.

Is Stones the best English RB? If so the others must be awful. So too with Phil Jones. Hodgson must be desperate for Chambers to mature.

LB

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the void being partially filled

Micky, @ 6:54

Wow.

That’ll be a “no” again then. More work 😦

City, Dortmund, Villa …… exciting times ahead

Morning all.

Here’s a poser. Who was the last English player to score 2 goals or more in a full international.I don’t know the answer but would guess Ian Wright or Tony Woodcock.

Welbeck’s 2 goals must be a new record.First player to score two international goals for England before he has actually kicked a ball for his club..

LB – watching England goes some way to easing the emptiness of the interlull.

Gosh it was a boring first half, boring commentary, no action on the pitch and piss poor support. Thank Dennis our Danny delivered

Crystals @ 7:31
    “Morning all.
    Here’s a poser”

No shit Sherlock, but here’s an idea if you really want to lose that poser tag. Bin the shades and the hair dryer 🙂

What was that micky ?

GN5 will know the answer

Morning all. Hard to criticise Hodgson when we have won our (on paper) most difficult qualifying fixture, but I am not sold on him. I thought he made a lot of bad calls tactically and with the team shape at the WC and last night I couldn’t work out why Delph would get in ahead of the OX. Also if this is his masterplan for Jack to play holding midfielder then I can see that all going wrong at some point. Henderson dfoesn’t have what Jack does going forwards but was given a more advanced role than him. We got away with it last night but it will go wrong at some point and I would rather he didn’t select Jack at all due to the flack that will come with it. Townsend was quick to criticise him last night without any mention of how he is being played out of his natural position.

In a way I feel sorry for Jack.I agree with GoonerB that Jack is not naturally a holding midfielder for us or England but for him to play more offensively he faces a lot of competition at Arsenal. He is caught between two stools so my conclusion is that we won’t get the best out of him .
    Some players are more adaptable than others he is not one.

What was what Crystals?

At the moment I think Jack is a 7/10, 4-4-2 midfielder in the Manu Petit mould

So the solution is to play Chambers as the Holding Midfielder with Jack slightly more advanced. (For England that is)

101. arnie says:

Motning all. Lovely vid Micky. 🙂

I like the idea of Calum as holding midfielder for England, but also occasionally for club. 🙂

LB

Chambers plays RB, CB, HM and if he feels in the mood, CF.

He’s that good 🙂

I have no problem with Jack rotating with other players at Arsenal but when AW does play him I would like it to be to suit his strengths. Last season he was played in both wide positions at times. He did his best but can we criticise him if he doesn’t look a world beater there.

I feel Jack’s best position is as one of two deeper or defensive midfielders but with him having a more box to box licence, so that he is both dfensive and attacking at different times. The other DM then needs to be more a holding midfielder which can safely release Jack for his driving runs upfield.

I feel Bayern play this way with the 2 DM’s with more specified roles often with Schweinsteiger getting the box to box role. Watching games last year I always felt Jack’s best performances were when he played with Flamini, who acts as a midfield minder for him. Flamini seems to release Jack more so that he play without too much caution. I never felt he played as well with Arteta who is not as much a natural holding midfielder as Flamini.

I actually think Jack is better bringing the ball from deeper than Ramsey is but Rambo has big game winning goals in him. Should they actually be competing for the same slot or should Ramsey actually be competing with Ozil and Cazorla for a more advanced role?

Arsenal have more competition for Jack’s position but England really don’t which is why it is more annoying that he is not utilised well for them. Did anyone notice that the pre-world cup friendlies and Costa Rica dead rubber game that Jack featured in and was criticised for saw him mostly partner Lampard in midfield. Hardly the best holding midfield partner to bring the best ball carrying bursts upfield out of Jack is it?

104. arnie says:

The Ox will have his moments under the sun, for England that is. The good guy I feel sorry for is Gibbs. 😦 One may never know why he was shown the door. 😦

Morning all, it is obvious that Welé is a confidence player (aren’t they all?) I particularly liked the way he picked out his new Arsenal team mates for his goal celebration – I can see him being very popular in the squad/dressing room.

His main way of beating defenders is push-n-go pace and he’s pretty good at it, I hope at 23 he can still develop more ball skills to give himself other options. His work rate is terrific, he wins the ball back and initiates attacking moves and has the pace and power to get in the box and finish moves too.

A fantastic ‘no risk’ buy at £12m, if he gets off to a good start in an Arsenal shirt, I can see him getting 20 goals this season.

106. arnie says:

GB. In general terms, I agree. However, you are looking at the interests of Jack as an individual player. Arsene has to balance both the team’s interests and the player’s. Some other managers would have looked, or tried to look, only at the team’s interest. Maybe Roy is one of them.

Now, like everywhere else in professional life, it is up to the individual to some extent. You or I cannot go to our workplace and say, we want to do the job that we are best at. We have to do the job that creates best value. Same for Jack.

I think, moving forward our DM positions will be in rotation Rambo, Jack, Calum and maybe Diaby. Rambo is currently better in scoring crucial goals, so Jack may have to stay back. And rightly so. He is young. He has to either learn the holding MF game, or learn how to score more goals at crucial times. 🙂

107. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all.

Well done England and Welbeck in particular.

Here’s a laugh, “City in striker crisis”. Yep the richest club in the Premiership, have only two senior strikers fit. After allowing Negredo to go out on loan and Jovetic injuring a hamstring on international duty, Man City are down to the bare bones striker-wise.

Perhaps FFP is working after all.

Hi Arnie. Sorry I can’t always reply immediately and sometimes come back to a point a bit later. Re. your 9.39. I am in agreement with you that any player is not greater than the team so if a certain player has to adopt a role that is not their favourite but that it allows the team performance to be stronger in another sense then using the old cliche, they need to take one for the team.

That concept should also obviously translate to Jack, providing that when he is played out of position that the team performance is enhanced. We would need to analyse how the team played with him in his best position vs when he is played out of position. I don’t have all the games to hand but casting my mind back to last season my recollection is that when Jack was played out of position and didn’t play well that generally the whole team performance stunk. I also seem to recall that when played in his favoured role with the right holding midfield partner that both he and the team looked better.

Jack has had an up and down period since coming back from injury but I feel that he is not an ordinary utility player to cover many roles, but one that can change the whole dynamic of a game in your favour if he is utilised correctly. I feel at Arsenal with the greater competition for places that Jack will need to be more subject to rotation for a while. Players like Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Cazorla will slowly ease away or move on leaving a more regular role for him over the next 2-3 seasons.

The danger for me with England, who I don’t feel are blessed with players of Jack’s ability, is that we pulled it off last night with Jack played out of position. Roy and the media may think that’s it I’ve cracked it but I think when it comes to crunch time against sterner opposition the set-up last night will fail. We have seen it too many times before with England.

NG, do City still have Dzeko and Aguero to pick from? If so I think crisis may be stretching it a bit as IMO either of those 2 are good enough to finish us off if they are on form.

Rasp, I was impressed with Welbeck and think he is a better player than I realised. He is very good at the push and go but there was one time when he tried to go past 2 players. He rounded the 1st one with nifty footwork but the 2nd only just got a foot in. Having said that I was impressed with his balance and change of direction in this instance as although it didn’t quite come off he almost took 2 players out of the game. I hope more playing time with us will reveal he has this in his locker as well.

Hi GB, yes that’s the point I was trying to make. Push and go is all very well but it makes you a bit one dimensional, hopefully playing with the likes of Ozil and Cazorla will rub off on him and he’ll pick up some more skills. I also saw that he would try to beat one player too many and run out of space down the line, when a quick turn and cutting inside may have been a better option.

Arghh. Having put my thoughts over on Jack and his best position and, more to the point, how I don’t want him deployed as a holding midfielder, it appears Jack has stated that he watches both Pirlo and Mascherano to learn how to become a better holding midfielder.

I almost feel that the combination of his lack of playing time in his best position for us, and the way England are playing him, and some of the media / punditry reaction to him becoming a holding midfielder has brainwashed him into believing it. This is still a young player who could still develop into a Scholes type player and who has the ball carrying ability through the midfield not too dissimilar to Gascoignes.

If he is pushed into accepting the holding midfield role I think it will be a crime and we will have once again wasted one of Englands brightest talents. I hate to say it but if it is heading this way and AW can’t find the space in the team to let him play his best role, if not now then in the near future, then I would rather lose him to a team that will. I wouldn’t like it but I would rather that than just destroy what he could become.

113. arnie says:

valuable thoughts, GB. 🙂 It is a pity we are discussing this on the sidelines. If we had a headline post, perhaps everyone could contribute with more of their thoughts on the matter.

Perhaps Jack’s quote about Pirlo and Mascherano together with some thoughts from you, GoonerB, to set us rolling first thing tomorrow morning? 🙂

114. Norfolk Gooner says:

GB, does anyone know what Wilshire’s best position is? How do we know he won’t turn out to be a world class holding mid-fielder?

Wenger seems happy with what he brings to the team at present, being able to fill more than one role is something Le Professeur values in a player. He is always ready to convert players into something not previously considered by the “experts” in the media.

With the number of games to be played this season I’m sure Jack will get ample opportunities to fulfil whatever role Wenger chooses for him.