Whilst Arsene watches scantily clad babes, he also plots his goals‏

Morning Gooner’s.

World cup this, World cup that, fans all over the world are excited by the enthralling football they are seeing. The host nation Brazil was celebrating their win over Chile, while I sat and watched with not much interest. I watched a hard fought out game that went to penalties, the first game with penalties, and some good penalties too, but also some very dodgy ones as well. Like all tight matches this one was decided on the last shot of the day. The Chilean player hit the upright and the ball bounced away from the goal, the Brazilian fans went berserk.

Personally I was hoping for a Chile win, they were the underdogs but I have a heart and I was rooting for them, although I never had much interest in the result, I was surprised how disappointed I felt. Maybe being an ex footballer myself, and suffering many demoralising defeats actually makes you realise just how painful defeat can be, but of course you need to win finals as well to appreciate the victories as well, In my case not to many.

I have of course got to bring in our own club, after all this is an Arsenal blog and while we have the close season we know that Arsene will not keep us informed about the possible ins and outs. Arsene is currently employed as a pundit but he is of course watching all the top players in the world, so its like a Busman’s holiday.

As supporters we realise that some of our players are moving on, and of course Arsene knows that only to well while he is working in Brazil and recuperating on the beach feasting his eyes on all those scantily clad Babes, sorry got carried away there. We do of course hope he has his targets in his sights.

Arsene has just signed a new contract, late of course but he signed it. He has just tasted victory of the FA cup, that must have tasted very sweet for him, I can remember the look on his face as he climbed the steps at Wembley, he looked like the kid in the sweet shop left alone to chose anything he wanted. As I saw Wenger hold that trophy I had the feeling that he was never as happy as he was at that moment. Yes he had won that cup before, and he has won other cups and leagues, but that cup was a very long time coming, and the disappointments over those years was I bet how that missing Chilean player felt.

As I said before, Arsene has signed a new contract, so I can only assume that he has been given the ok to to buy replacements. Arsene brought one player last season, but he brought a record breaker to the sum of £42.5 million> Now that has been unheard of from Mr Skinflint but he did. I must admit I was knocked sideways when I heard the news, I had waited, logging into blogs and Arsenal news and the papers the  media and anybody and everybody for a snippet of news, I expected a striker, and he buys a midfielder, not just any midfielder, a £42 million midfielder.

I  felt  I knew what Arsene would do, I thought buy a striker, but no, and after I calmed down I wondered why he had done what he had.  Arsene had Giroud, Sanogo, and Bendtner and we had strikers in reserves as well, but they still had time left on their contracts. Sanogo was raw but showed promise Bendtner had one season left and Giroud had done all that had been asked of him, he must have felt that he had that position covered.

Theo was the player that Arsene was hoping would feed off of Ozil and with The Ox with his powerful runs and Gnabry who had also shown promise he must have felt Ozil was the key. As we all know we did pretty good up till Christmas but injuries to our speedy front men hit us hard, yes we scraped the FA cup but Theo missing half a season The Ox out for some time even Giroud missing a few games and hardly a show from Gnabry we struggled.

This season Bendtner will be gone  our reserve striker has been released which opens the door for a striker, Bacary leaving was on the cards I think we all knew that and Jenks is still not the finished article so another space. Fabianski leaving was also on the cards he must have had the hump when Viviani was loaned in, but Arsene used him in the cups and he never let us down in fact he showed what a fine keeper he is. Viviani has been released so we need a keeper. I hoped we would keep Kallstrom as he had something about him, but he too has been let go. Maybe Diaby getting back to fitness may have a bearing.

So my summary is that Arsene should be looking for a Striker, a Right Back and a Goalkeeper. I figure £42m for them should cover it, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see another couple of loaners, just in case of injuries.  Will Arsene surprise me again this season, Probably.

Written by Steve Palmer

129 Responses to Whilst Arsene watches scantily clad babes, he also plots his goals‏

1. […] article has been curated from ArsenalArsenal by Steve Palmer for your reading pleasure. Please visit ArsenalArsenal for […]

2. GOONERKAM says:

Morning all.
    STEVE. I can sense nervousness I your fine writeup. I must say I’m feeling it too. The question of VERMALEN will be answered very soon. I for one would like for him to stay. JOEL will be given a chance next year. Will BIG JOHAN be brought back? Will MIGUEL be given his chance? so many questions. I don’t envy AW for having to make all these decisions. Something tells me he will do fine by the ARSENAL.
    ALWAYS HAS. always will.

3. GOONERKAM says:

By and by, my pick for the WC finalists….. germany/holland
    Germany to take the cup….

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Goonerkam,
    Thank you.
    While the rest of you are not ear, i shall also not be ear, Fishing. catch one of you not ears later perhaps.

5. Vinay says:

The wish list needs to have a DM as the priority and a top class one. Wenger, please use your PSG connections and lure matuidi to Arsenal, Add Lavezzi to it and we have a winner.

World cup looks headed to Argentina or Holland, i do not see the Germans beating the French who in turn may not be able to beat the dutch, lets wait and watch, how about a colombia Costa Rica finals??????

Nice one Steve. I totally agree about the right back and goal-keeper. Which goal-keeper we get I have no real feelings on. For the RFB I like the look of Aurier but also like Debuchy who is EPL adapted. Neither would eat into our budget that much, like say Coleman would, and we can then spend big elsewhere.

I also think we need a proper top level DM. Someone like Khedira for me and have Flamini and / or Arteta as back up to him. He would be one of our more expensive purchases IMO.

I also totally agree on the striker, and I think most tend to agree on that one. I would like to see a proven goal-scorer, EPL ready if possible, who has pace and is comfortable receiving the ball in wide areas as well. I would get Remy for this. For me his price just makes him a bargain rather than us being cheap in not splashing out £32m on this player. That money saved could be spent on other expensive areas.

Last season when we got Ozil I was delighted but felt we had an imbalance in the side in midfield to the tune of too many crafty midfielders that like to play centrally. With AW also seemingly favouring AOC as a central player we were perhaps also short on natural wide attacking / wing forward type players. For me it left us with only Walcott and Gnabry as being natural players for this role.

Podolski could be considered as an attacking wide player as well but I am still unsure if this is his best role. Despite his natural goal-scoring instincts he doesn’t really look like he has the natural ability to take on a full-back. I feel we need a top level addition in a wide player that combines a natural eye for goal but also has the pace and ability to run at defenders. It may be that we need to sacrifice a crafty central midfielder to accomodate this, which brings me to Santi.

I love Santi but alledgedly he has always said he wishes to see out his career in Spain. Athletico are interested and it seems he is interested in them also. If he went there and we were to get in someone like Sanchez then I feel we would be stronger. Not because I feel Sanchez is a better technical player than Santi, I feel they are both top level players, but because he has a different skill set, where he is a more natural goal-scorer and can play both the attacking wide role and strikers role to great effect.

If we got Khedira and Sanchez as our big buys and got say Remi and Debuchy as our high quality but bargain buys I feel we would have a really high quality and balanced squad that would be ready to challenge for the EPL, even if it did mean a sad goodbye to Santi. We would get some decent funds back for Santi so our total outlay would be very reasonable. The money saved could help us with the wages that players like Khedira and Sanchez would require and also an increase for other players to keep them in line with those coming in.

7. Nicholas says:

Last transfer window Arsene most definitely didn’t feel we had the striker position covered because he bid £40m for Suarez. Though apparently the Ozil signing was months in the making, I wouldn’t believe it possible for us to have purchased both. So Suarez was first choice, Ozil second.

In January, we apparently bid for Draxler. From the Guardian:

“Julian Draxler has ruled out moving to Arsenal this summer, saying he wants to remain at Schalke next season after turning down the chance to join the London club in January.

The 20-year-old Germany forward was heavily linked with a switch to the Emirates Stadium in the January transfer window, but a reported £25m deal failed to materialise. Arsène Wenger was expected to return for Draxler but on Tuesday the player confirmed to BBC Sport he intended to remain in the Bundesliga.

“In January there was the offer of Arsenal, but I decided to stay, He said. “I will do the same this summer. I want to play one year more in Schalke.”

So I think Arsene got a lot of unnecessary stick for not having strengthened the striker position in the winter transfer window. He tried, but the player he wanted said no.

I would be stunned if we didn’t buy a seriously decent striker/winger this summer.

Good stuff steve

Goalie and right back are must gets. Some geezer weve never heard of in goal who just happens to also enjoy been a constant stiff, sorts out the keeper.

For the right back its a toughie. Replacing Sagna is a hard task but that Debauchery bloke looks all right.

We would probably win the league with stiff debauchery, but just to make sure, a top quality mobile forward would guarantee it.

I still want Suarez, but you cant trust a Hanibal Lecter type. What would your other guests think when half way through dinner he takes a liking to the vicar? I could always introduce him to the wife. No need for desert there. Shes so big he would be stuck on the main course for years.

That Sanchez geezer looks just the ticket. Brilliant mobile forward, and no cage around the face required.

Lets see what Arsene does

Nice work Steve.

I have no idea who he will bring in. Apart from Arshavin they have all been surprises.

I like Scheiderlin and Sanchez. As you say we need a GK. Will AW buy 5 players in summer? I hope so!

Trouble is the positions we need players in are the same problem areas nearly all the big clubs have.

I would take Pogba and offer the youth team in exchange.

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, I remember Wenger saying a season or two ago that three is the maximum number that can be assimilated in one transfer window. Any more and it causes disruption to the team. I think he is probably right, when you look at the Barcodes and the Spuds you can seeat he means.

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

…see what he means.

NG. I agree but only when it involves first team players. We need better back up players though perhaps we can wait a season on the LW and the DM – Flamini/Arteta and Pod/Ox/Santiwill see us through – I hope.

But still think my Pogba idea is a cracker

Cheers, Steve.
    Of course Arsene’s checking out what sort of player he’s after. Who wouldn’t be? 🙂

14. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    thank you for your responses, and good ones they were, I can see that you have all thought about the holes that have now opened.

I must admit i don’t disagree with any of you who have shown an interest to bulk up our DM. I never mentioned that position, as i felt the other ones were more important at this time.

I feel we should get replacements for our leavers first, and then if there is anything left get that DM.

15. arnie says:

Great stuff, Steve. The £100m question is, which fish will Wenger catch! 😛

Frankly, none of us have the faintest idea. GK is a must. I think not a top keeper since he will only be second choice. Repeating myself, someone like Ochoa/ Schwartzer sounds good. A third choice keeper is required as well. Maybe upgrade from the Academy?

RB is difficult. Serious lack of talent here. Aurier? Who knows?

Striker, yes, if we can get a top one. Like Suarez. Failing that, personally, I would be happy with Giro/Sanogo/Campbell. And in that case, retain Poldi as well.

A big strong DM I think will be good. Difficult to find a good one, and also I doubt whether Arsene thinks this as a priority.

“It’s clear as mud that covers the ground
    And the confusion makes the head go round”

🙂 🙂 🙂

16. arnie says:

Sorry still Knot quite Ear, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon things will be better

Early morning flight. Should be swimming in the Med by lunchtime.

Then lunch and a leisurely drive up into the mountains.

Siesta

Down to a cafe. Watch the first quarter-final.

Dine at Sul Ponte.

Magic

18. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Raddy,
    Have a nice break mate.

19. arnie says:

motning all.

wish you a brilliant holiday!!!!! 🙂

by the time you are back, Arsene would have signed 10 players at varying levels for a combined fee of £150m. 😛

20. arnie says:

That was meant for Raddy, in case you did not know.

(Early) motning, Steve. Did we catch any big fish? 😛

21. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Arnie,
    I’m sure things will all come out in the wash, we will just have to wait and hope.
    He knows what’s about, hopefully he buys what we need, i don’t suppose we will know for certain till he gets back.

22. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Arn. dont know why i bother mate, fishing has changed from the old days, when you could throw a few maggots in and see the fish jump about all over the place.

Crayfish everywhere and the size of a small Lobster. American red signal crayfish have taken over the waterways, killed off our own Crayfish and they grow bigger. I have more blanks now than ever before. Hope your well, and your up early.

23. arnie says:

Steve, I suppose we will know for certain on August 1. Earliest. 😛 Only a couple of signings away from a brilliant side. I too hope we get that.

hmmm. I know nought about fishing, but that sounds like a lot of hard work for little return. Anyway, at least there is the fresh air and some opportunity for quiet contemplation. 🙂

yes, nice and early. saw the Portuguese off at the airport, now another half-day away, then back to the grind. 🙂

24. stevepalmer1 says:

I know i’m being nosey Arn, but what do you teach

25. arnie says:

economics, Steve, and just in case you get the wrong idea, nothing to do with real life. banking, finance and all that exciting stuff is not for me. I deal only in abstract stuff. 😛

26. stevepalmer1 says:

What i like Arnie, is you can sit on a lake for best part of a day and not see another person, I have always liked the tranquillity that fishing brings, of course although that is all right, its still nice to land a fish every now and again, i seem to be planing my trips with all the enthusiasm in the world and coming home a broken man, My Mrs comes now and again, for her its like a picnic, she has yet to see me catch a fish this season, she thinks i am mad, to be quite honest she has a point.

27. stevepalmer1 says:

I thought you was educated, 🙂 Ill stick with my fishing, not good returns but quieter

28. arnie says:

that is approx what I thought, Steve. but tranquility is a rare finding in the modern world, so on with it. 🙂

I have had a couple of brief dabbles, just for the thrill. This New Year, we went to upstate Michigan and there we tried to do some ice fishing. Caught nought, but the experience was brilliant. Using dogs to find a suitable place on teh frozen lake to camp. drilling holes, dropping the line, all was brilliant. except the catch.

29. arnie says:

Then, a few years before, a friend of mine, sadly deceased, organised a research group of 5 academics, all male, and organised a week-long sailing trip in the west cost of Scotland. The women were not pleased at being left out. 😛

We did some fishing, and caught a bit, but my memory is blurred. My friend was taken ill during the trip and then we knew he had terminal brain cancer. He refused treatment and died with a couple of months. 😦

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Rather you than me Arnie, not keen on the cold, when i go at night its like moving house, cooker sleeping bag and of course my bivy.

31. arnie says:

Related, long time back now, early 2000s, I used to live in Cambridgeshire. I had a friend who was an amateur wildlife (bird) photographer. Quite good actually, had a few photos taken by Natl Geographic. I used to accompany him on some of his escapades, mostly around the Fens.

Quietly waiting in the hides and all that. the tranquility was brilliant, and lots of time to think, beautiful landscape. ah, what fun! 🙂

32. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry to hear that Arnie. Puts life into perspective doesn’t it.

33. stevepalmer1 says:

Reminds me of an old golfing pal of mine, we played together for years until he found Thailand, He went on holiday there and loved it, all he did after that was save up for his next trip, He told me and the Mrs about his trips and tried to get me to go, but my Mrs wasn’t having any of that. He died and his son asked me to say a few words at the burial, A good friend of many years what do you say, when i started it was going to be quick , but 20 minutes went past and i thought i’de better stop. You don’t realise just how much you miss them till there gone.

34. arnie says:

Bird-watching during the day, and in the evening:

35. arnie says:

Absolutely right, Steve.

36. stevepalmer1 says:

Sounds nice Arnie, lot of the waters i fish have hides on them, people with big binoculars, trouble is you have to be careful where you pee 🙂

37. stevepalmer1 says:

That Arsene doesn’t waste a chance to advertise Arsenal does he. 🙂

38. arnie says:

great guy. a star. clearly he lives his work! 🙂

39. arnie says:

If only we could peep into the piece of paper in his hand, we would not have to wait until August 1. 😛

40. stevepalmer1 says:

I hope he has the right names on there Arn.

41. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Loved chatting with you Arn but shower and shave and a bit of brecky catch you later.

43. arnie says:

laters. 🙂

ok, I am back to civilisation, phew it is bloody hard staying in an apartment overlooking the sea but with a wonky wifi, never again.

So, can someone pleeeeaze update me on the transfers? BBC seem to be linking almost anybody’s target with Arsenal. I guess they can then say that those players snubbed the Gooners, typical.

Cannot wait for tonight’s games,, should be fab

Micky – had a few great fights on my hols. one with a catholic nun telling me off for feeding the wild boars with bananas – something about starving children and bananas. I told her that she can feed the kids, whereas I chose to buy bananas for the pigs. BTW they love bananas 🙂

Morning People,

That was an entertaining chat between Steve and arnie — and then Eddie was keeping us up to date on her nun bashing!! 🙂

Lots of Knot Ears around today it seems.

thank Dennis for RA!! I thought the Blog has died!! What’s up RA, did we buy anyone yet, or sold?

48. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning to all the not ear’s and the nearly not ear’s and the never been ear’s a bright sunny morning to all of you.
    Lots of players linked as Eddie said but nobody yet for definite, Every year Arsenal seem to be the last club on transfer deadline day, to announce who will be in the team for the new season. Just once would be nice to get our new players in early, but as we all know, with our Arsene everything seems a drawn out saga.

Arsene seems to like deadline day, often leaving it to the last couple of hours. Perhaps he is not the greatest negotiator, so he may like to know that its either yeh or ney. All i know is its not good for supporters.

Many rich clubs do their business early a fee is worked out which always seems to much, but at least the supporters know quickly. Now whether that in our case means that season ticket holders would have purchased their tickets by this time, so there is less pressure i don’t know, but it sure as hell gets up my nose.

Ahh,fishing, yes fishing. Brings a sentimental tear to my eye when I recall those glorious moments when angling down Bounds Green canal with my nephew.

Ive caught something uncle Terry, Ive caught something.

Put it back Theo my dear boy, its a very common delicacy known as a condom.

Ahh, the tranquility. Only disturbed by a gang of feral youths smoking hashish and threatening a passer by with violence for the audacity to be wearing spectacles.

Ive caught something uncle Terry, ive caught something.

Put it back Theo my dear boy. Its a non edible commonality known as a tenants extra.

Yes the blissful serenity, now and again marred by a grown man walking an illegal dog

Ive caught something uncle Terry, ive caught something.

Put it back Theo my dear boy. Its a rather rare specimen known as a 1982 Stan Smith trainer

What times they were. After a satisfying days catch we would amble along the canal fully relaxed, Only disturbed by a baseball capped youth rifling through another boys pockets to relief him of his awful mobile phone addiction.

Oh yes, great days.

50. stevepalmer1 says:

Superb Terry,
    We have become a nation that throw things everywhere, Litter has been given their own camera’s to stop the culprits on the high street, but sadly as only a few people frequent the country where there is no litter bins a hedge is a fine place to put it, too much trouble to take it with you.

I blame Spud supporters, so used to throwing their programs away after a loss.

51. stevepalmer1 says:

France Germany tonight followed by Brazil Colombia, should get people talking.

Roll on the start of the season.

If someone wants to write some blurb about today’s games and send it arsenalnuts I’ll add a poll and put it up for a post.

53. Rejoice, our squad deficiency problems are over, I’ve just heard the Mirror thinks we are in for Salomon Kalou, all this Sanchez/Balotelli guff was just a smoke screen for our real target.

Champions 2014-15 for sure, lol.

54. stevepalmer1 says:

Chary, we have heard of Kalou, that cant be true 😉 make up a name, and there will be more truth in that.

55. stevepalmer1 says:

Sounds like a price hike

56. arnie says:

Peaches: very busy day, 😦 sorry, but how about just a question “who do you think will win today” and a poll?

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, I’ve just had a quick look at this morning’s transfer speculation, just today we are linked with….Angel Di Maria, 26, for £40m. Alexis Sanchez, 25, and Mathieu Debuchy, 28, for £35m the pair, Morgan Schneiderlin, 24, for £20m, Juan Cuadrado, 26, no fee mentioned, Sami Khedira, 27, £23.8m.

Exciting times!!!

58. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp, Post e mailed to Arsenalnuts.

59. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp I’ve just sent an update

60. arnie says:

Now that I am EAR, I suppose I may as well start discussing todays games. 😛

Tasty prospects, to say the least. I have no favourites as such for the France-Germany game. Both have 3 Gooners each, they are playing a nice game. Germany come in as slight favourites, and hence let me go for France.

Brazil-Colombia is more straight forward in terms of preferances. Brazil are playing at home and are overwhelming favourites. But Colombia are no pushovers. In fact there are no minnows at this stage of the World Cup. Brazil’s form has been iffy, and I feel Neymar is a bit over-rated. Plus, they have benefited from some dubious ref decisions, even if I feel standards of refereeing has been good in general.

Colombia on the other hand has played a good game. We can do without the host tag from now on, so it is Colombia for me.

On with the show!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

61. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice comment Arnie, Glad you got the show on the road.
    I have never been keen on the French, daft thing to say when we have had many Frenchmen in our team not to mention our Manager Arsene.

This probably stems back a few years when a girl i liked was snuck away by a French accent, never taken to them since, i feel they held a grudge for years about wartime but that’s a subject best left alone, And i shouldn’t talk about the girl either.

So im going for the Germans. Germans have many similarities to the English, only they seem to win more games than us, even so i will still think they will have just a little bit more discipline.

Brazil and Colombia Favourites must be Brazil but as Arnie said they do seem to be getting decisions for, now i am not saying that there is anything dodgy going on, but i feel; we will have to keep our eyes open. Neymar i think is quality but i don’t think he is properly fit. I have to say that i feel he has a mean streak in him reminds me a bit of a player who is always hungry, just hope he doesn’t sample anybody.

Colombia seem to me, to be a hard working, i do hope they can overcome the occasion and get the better of Brazil, if this happens i believe the Brazilian public will turn funny so i expect Brazil to win but i plumb for Colombia

62. arnie says:

Norfolk. If you are EAR, and your post was about today’s games, please put it on here, so that we can discuss. 🙂

63. arnie says:

Steve. 🙂 and 😦

64. arnie says:

an early goal for a change.

65. arnie says:

where have all the knot ear’s vanished?

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Neuer not playing as a sweeper tonight, No Merts

67. stevepalmer1 says:

Kosi on

68. stevepalmer1 says:

Ozil, seems to be a bit more involved tonight

69. arnie says:

right, Steve, the left side is working better for Germany today. somehow, Ozil seems to be more tied to the left side for Germany.

Ozil or Griezmann ? Griezmann for me any day, not only because of his looks and nationality, superb player

71. arnie says:

mistake not to play Giro today. the way France is playing, trying to draw Germany out and on the counter, better hold-up play would have been required. IMO.

72. stevepalmer1 says:

Should have been 2

73. arnie says:

Debuchy does not inspire a lot of confidence for me. Not at this level. May still be good for Arsenal, though.

74. stevepalmer1 says:

I can see that Ozil has class but i would like to see him do more than quick passes

Giroud for Valbuena? ey? oh I see, just heard that they cannot play together

76. arnie says:

Giro on.

welcome back, Evonne. I hear you had a fist fight with a nun. what fun! 😛

77. arnie says:

agreed. for this level, Ozil is lacking a bit of energy. 😦

hi arnie! yeah, fighting with nuns is always fun

I so don’t want Germans to win

79. stevepalmer1 says:

I understand what your saying Arn, but many would still rather Benzema

80. stevepalmer1 says:

They took Ozil off early just in case of penalties 🙂

81. arnie says:

Horses for courses, Steve. My point is, that is the way France are set up today. against weaker opposition, attacking in droves, it could be different. 🙂

82. arnie says:

Fun-loving nun-basher Evonne. 😛

83. arnie says:

with that kind of shooting by Benzema, sorry, not for me! 🙂

anyway, 3 Gooners through to the semis. 🙂 🙂 🙂

84. arnie says:

OK chums, laters. drive back home on, back to the show in 90 mins.

85. stevepalmer1 says:

Germans through, now for Colombia

grrrrhhhhh, not one fecking team that I watched and supported has won yet. Terrible world cup for me.

No arnie, the nun was a lovely old girl, we just happen to disagree about fair distribution of bananas. No Chas, no sexual innuendo.

87. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, just got ear! Ear it is.

The Quarter Finals

Two very tasty Quarter Finals this evening featuring an array of some of the brightest stars in World football. Names to conjure up technical expertise, pace, athleticism and goal scoring potential in abundance. I shall be watching carefully two of the younger stars, namely James Rodriguez and Neymar Junior, playing for Colombia and Brazil respectively. Rodriguez with 5 goals in 310 minutes on the pitch just shades Neymar who has scored 4 in 369 minutes.

Others to watch out for are Danny Alves who likes nothing more than bombing forward from right-back, Fernandino a menacing mid-fielder and two from Colombia Sanchez and the pacy Cuadrado, both reputedly targets on Arsene’s wanted list.

The player with the toughest job must be the 38-year-old Colombian centre-back Mario Yepes who can expect to be run ragged by the mercurial Neymar.

I’ll stick my neck out and go for a Colombian win, as I doubt the quality of either of the Brazilian central strikers Hulk and Fred.

First up, however, is the match pitting two European teams together, Germany and France. I don’t think anybody doubted Germany’s ability to get to this stage of the tournament and they have done so with solid performances. The surprise has come from France who seem to have put the dreadful 2010 campaign behind them and found some unity and spirit in their squad.

Two pairs of top quality mid-fielders make a fascinating match-up, the French pairing of Matuidi and Pogba against the Germans Khedira and Schweinsteiger could be epic in it’s proportions. Again there are excellent players on both sides, namely Gotze, Benzema, Griezmann, who I expect to start ahead of Giroud, and of course our own Mesut Ozil.

Arsenal eyes will, of course, be on Koscielny and Mertesacker but also on Arsenal target Debuchy.

The player with the toughest job Per Mertesacker, his lack of pace will be targeted by the clever movement of Karim Benzema.

I really don’t know how this one will turn out, I’ll leave the prediction to you Aaers.

Norfolk

88. Norfolk Gooner says:

Obviously written before the teams were announced, at least for the Germany/France game.

Overall I thought the game was a bit of a disapointment, Germany’s early goal allowed them to slow the game and dictate much of the play. France didn’t wake up until it was too late. I just hope the next one is more entertaining.

89. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Norfolk, That was a great Post and i suspect that was an earlier post.
    You summed that up very well,

Germany without Mertsacker looked fairly disciplined Neuer was more goalkeeper than a sweeper and as i stated the other day Merts pace is problematic. A good game and well fought out chances for both teams, but the Germans just edged it. Some of our French stars looked very disappointed b ut they certainly got further than their English counterparts.

Brazil Colombia could be a very tight game, but i suspect Brazil will get what people call luck, but i still fancy Colombia.

90. arnie says:

brilliant stuff, Norfolk. 🙂 pity this could not be posted earlier.

thinking ahead, can you do one for tomorrow as well? 😛

91. arnie says:

please, 🙂

92. arnie says:

come on Colombia!!!!

93. arnie says:

with Raddy off on hols, we need to be proactive. 🙂

94. arnie says:

Maicon, not Dani Alves. Interesting.

2 great national anthems sang with pride, fantastico!!! I am loving it
    Wouldn’t it be great if the English anthem was a little bit more south American?

96. arnie says:

How about an Arsenal anthem?

97. arnie says:

oh dear. 😛

98. arnie says:

another early goal.

99. arnie says:

has Cuadrado signed for us yet? 😛

100. arnie says:

exciting stuff 🙂

101. arnie says:

pacy game but too idiosyncratic. 🙂 Brazil, to be fair, is showing some quality.

102. stevepalmer1 says:

Brazil are getting away with murder, every time Colombia drive forward they foul and i still don’t think a Brazilian has been booked yet, different down the other end just contact brings a whistle.

103. arnie says:

absolutely right, Steve. too lenient

104. 26may1989 says:

Evening all. I think this game has been pretty low on quality, neither side has been on top of its game, and the ref has been way too lenient.

Now, come on Colombia, you can do it……

105. arnie says:

welcome 26may. too many fouls.

106. arnie says:

OK, first yellow. Thiago Silva.

107. arnie says:

hmmmmm. this one is done and dusted.

108. stevepalmer1 says:

If i didn’t know better, i would say this game is fixed

109. arnie says:

OK, lifeline. come on Colombia.

110. arnie says:

come on Colombia.

111. arnie says:

what a violent game. Germany-Brazil. hmm. should be interesting.

112. stevepalmer1 says:

Got my second prediction wrong, but how can you ever predict a result with a referee like that. A couple of yellow cards early on would have shown that the referring was going to be firm but fair. The way he reffed it was like traffic lights, stop and go

113. arnie says:

Steve. 😦 could the ref do the same if it were Gerrnany?

114. 26may1989 says:

Don’t worry Steve, I’m 0 for 2 today, I predicted France and Colombia would go through. Oh well.

115. arnie says:

likewise. 😦 I blame the injustices of life!

116. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening 26,
    the only highlight for me was watching Neymar flattened, oh how i have loved to have done that,

Blatter will be happy, he must be earning his pension.

117. arnie says:

Neymar flattened, Silva suspended. Excuses gained, now OUT with Brazil. Come on Germany. 🙂

118. stevepalmer1 says:

I feel the only way Brazil will get beaten is in the final, but i could be wrong 🙂

119. stevepalmer1 says:

Been lovely chatting to you all, but time to sleep on it. Nte all

120. Norfolk Gooner says:

Morning all, that is if anybody’s awake.

Peaches/Rasp post e mailed to arsenalnuts.

Neymar out of the tournament with a cracked vertebrae.

Thank you Norfolk I’ll sort it now ………………

122. arnie says:

Motning all, thanks Norfolk.

Very bad news, but at teh same time they were the ones who went on the mercenary action. So no sympathy from me. The way they continuously kicked the ankles of James Rodriguez is shameful.

To win at any cost may be a philosophy for some, but every action has its consequences.

123. We have a New Post ……………….

124. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, I thought the ref was worse than useless, he let so much by both sides go unpunished and then, ludicrously, booked James Rodriguez for one of the most innocuous fouls in the match. Scolari’s tactics consiste almost entirely of stopping th young Columbian by rotational fouling. Shameful!!

125. arnie says:

But to be fair, Brazil also showed a bit of quality, more than Colombia. That is why they won. The technical quality of teh game was very poor. The defensive covering for teh first goal and leaving the post unmarked was sheer madnaess.

The freekick by David Luiz for the second goal was brilliant. Could the GK have done better? Perhaps, and maybe not as well.

.But despite the shortcomings, how would this Colombia team do against England, Italy, even Spain? Well they will simply decimate the European teams. Why? By sheer pace and energy and spirit of nationalism.