It’s Time To Right The Wrong

Written by CarlitoII

Memories of singing, dancing and grinning from ear to ear at halftime on November 21st 2010 have been plaguing me and many other supporters ever since that fateful second half when twitchy switched it around and we contrived to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It was the start of a recurring theme this season, and it was started by our greatest rivals- “them from down the road”.

I put it to you, Gooners and Goonerettes, that tonight’s game is the most important of our season. Not because it could take us to within 4 points of the league leaders, not because we have to get the bragging rights back, but because this team needs to prove to themselves, to their manager and to us that they have it in them to redress the wrongs of that game and subsequent seismic jolts of this season. That is where the doubt set in, and doubt is like a thief, it steals the possibilities from your life.

The players doubt, the fans doubt. It’s all over twitter and the blogosphere. To those who doubt I offer you this:

“A person who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself. He makes his failure certain by himself being the first person to be convinced of it.”

Alexandre Dumas (French Novelist)

In other words- doubt the team and you might as well support the Sp*rs! I know there are many Gooners who prefer to spend their energy supporting the good guys than hating those “cock n ball”s from the less salubrious parts of North London. But today, those emotions go hand in hand. We need to strike a counterblow for our good and their bad. We need to settle the score. In short, tonight is about REVENGE!

Arsène Wenger did not give a press conference yesterday, much to the chagrin of the journalists who make their living by spinning his words. And I know why. Because Arsène knows… that this is about retribution and he could never allow himself to say that in public, to the press. The fact that this morning’s papers are full of exactly that kind of spin on a straightforward Cesc interview perfectly justifies his stance.

Revenge is a mighty motivator, make no mistake about this- we will turn up tonight because every one of these players is playing for belief- in themselves, from their manager and from the fans.

And I can give you other (concrete) reasons for carrying that hope through your day and into tonight’s clash: Our key defensive men are all back and aside from Sagna have had a match to play themselves into a bit of form. Big Johan made us look like a different team with his assuredness at the back and I never panic with Szczesny in goal. I feel for Eboue after a generally decent performance in regulation time on Sunday, but Bac isn’t called “Mr. Reliable” for nothing.

As long as they can keep their heads in the cauldron of hate, I believe they can repel anything thrown at them. Ahead of them, Song is also available and I believe he will play. I know not everyone shares my faith in him, but we are a far more solid and coherent team defensively when he plays.

But my main grounds for optimism are this: we are playing away. Our away form is considerably better than our home form. The inflexible and recently derided 4-2-3-1 system works much better when the other team try and win the game, and there is no chance the Spuds will sit back against us on their own turf. I think it’s also significant that our away support makes almost as much noise as the Emirates does- sometimes even more!

It is also worth stating that, despite having some fantastic players, most of their team are not in great form, in particular Defoe has had a very poor season by his standards.

So, with hope and belief in my heart, my team for tonight would be:

I think Wenger made an error in starting with Walcott on Sunday and bringing on Arshavin as a sub, I hope he will do the reverse at WHL so Theo can terrorize them in the second half. Wilshere will probably come off after 60” for Diaby (who finally looks like he’s plinking* TM RockyLives).

For pride and victory…

Come on you rip roaring gunners!

190 Responses to It’s Time To Right The Wrong

Check my New Arsenal Blog:
    It’s genuinely upsetting !

Eat my hat Shabhamgoel27!

Carlito,
    That’s done it. I am now up for it. Well done.
    As for “doubt is like a thief, it steals the possibilities from your life”, I have copied and pasted that onto my skin.

Brilliant post Carlito.

If I could have one wish today (other than a 10 nil thrashing of the auld enemy) it would be that every player should read your post before the game.

I am amazed that Almunia is the only member of the squad that is technically unavailable through injury. We are the strongest we have been for 6 years, the only problem lies in the heads of our players.

5. tjoo says:

Would probably put the same line-up! Confident with Sagna/Djourou/Koscielny in the back as well as Song on midfield. Koscielny/Song just need to make sure they don’t pick up bookings or worse…

Agree using Walcott as a supersub instead – let’s hope for some more Arshavin magic there.

No offence to Jack, my next Arsenal Superhero, but I would start with Diaby alongside Song. I feel with our defence back to full strength and Deep Song patrolling just in front, we should have more than enough to contain that lot.
    Off out.

7. Carlito11 says:

Hi all,
    Micky- I thought about Diaby instead of Jack but I just thought the midfield looked a bit cumbersome and needed Jack’s terrier-like presence, at least until we are fully wedged into the game…

8. Gooner in Exile says:

Great post Carlito it has had the effect of opening the floodgates of emotion for me.

As you say the time has come for the players to stand up and be counted.

Micky my only worry with starting Diaby would be his tendency to react, or disappear. Tonight’s the night everyone has to be counted, players, supporters and most importantly Arsene.

Altho I am against in theory returning to a flat 4-4-2 tonight would be the night to do it. Give two centre backs a tough time….unleash NikB on Gallas and Dawson and crash the box.

Okay I’ll get me coat.

9. Carlito11 says:

Ooops- just realised I got the date wrong- it was Nov 20th!
    Rasp- kind words- thanks! GiE- our system is designed for games like this- switching to 442 would expose us too much too early in my view. But I do agree that a proper switch to 442 is needed more often in the last 20-30mins when we’re chasing the game.

10. Carlito11 says:

“Work” beckons! See you all later…

11. odiegooner says:

yah! 4 pride and glory.

12. 26may1989 says:

Great, stirring write-up Carlito. I wonder if we should start with Walcott rather than Arshavin, if only to encourage Bale to stay back. But either one has pluses and minuses, and I can see your point about Walcott being more effective as a sub.

Now, let’s see if the players finally can show us and the manager that they have what it takes mentally (as Pasp says, it’s the stuff between their ears that’s been the problem).

13. 26may1989 says:

*Rasp – apols!

14. Mark says:

I’ve read similar words too many times this season and the outcome has always been the same. When will you learn that this Arsenal team lacks gut? There is not doubting yourself and there is smelling the coffee.

15. aj says:

“….doubt is like a thief, it steals the possibilities from your life.”

That’s brilliant! It is so true.

16. Carlito11 says:

Bit tumbleweedy in here today! Thanks for the comments folks- off into the sunshine for half an hour…

17. Hi all

Great post Carlito, seems to me that the NLD nerves have struck us all a bit dumb today 😦

That’s the team that should see off a collection of spuds that think they’re Champions League contenders …….. they’re ‘avin a larf surely 😆

London must be stocking his drinks cabinet behind the couch 😀

18. Red Arse says:

Hi Carlito, you of the beautiful blue orbs. 🙂

Your Post has moved you into the writing realms of Master Rocky. Really well written andthe subject matter grabbed my attention immediately.

And yet, there are still doom merchants among our fans, and there are certainly those, depite your exhortations to the contrary, who remain incredulous doubters.

In my quieter moments, over the last couple of days, I have been examining my own thoughts on my lifelong relationship with Arsenal, and here is my conclusion.

People have asked me, why do I remain determinedly upbeat, and refuse to fall easily into a slough of despondency, when Arsenal, by their own standards, are going thru a difficult time?

My reply, in all humility is;

— Being happy as a Gooner does not mean that I shut my eyes and think everything is perfect with our team, it means I have decided to look beyond their imperfections, and realise I still love Arsenal, regardless.

Yup, that sums it up! 🙂

19. London says:

The trick is not to just swap Diaby for Wishere, far better to swap Fabregas for Wilshere and then Diaby for Fabregas.

Excellent post Carlito.

I don’t really get nervous about this game, I have more of an onto the pitch kind of mentality for this game, you can take the boy out of the council estate but you can never quite take the council estate out of the boy.

Hi London,

Am I to take it then that there is no berth behind your sofa for me for tonight’s game?

I think the lack of comments today on an excellent post is because many of us if we are truthful with ourselves are very apprehensive about tonight’s game.

22. Carlito11 says:

Hi Kelsey,

I was getting that feeling! I am optimistic though. I would be more nervous if we had to play them at home and the personnel are all there. If we fail tonight, those calling for a complete rethink of tactics and players will have every justification. The club and players must be aware of this and that’s why I don’t think it will happen 🙂

23. Evonne says:

Carlito – great, great post, one for Peaches’ new book

Kelsey – it might be bit slow today because it’s a scortcher in london, hotter than in Spain

Red Arse – how did you get on with the doctors? Are you fit now ?

Spuds make me sick, they are saying that both Tottenham and Arsenal are fighting for CL place. So-rry, we are fighting for the title, not some 4th place. Psssshhhh…..

24. Harry says:

Carlito: Onwards for Pride and Glory, quite splendid piece, in the calm before the storm and thats what it will be….

My belief also comes that we play away, the “EBE” will not be an issue tonight there will be a freedom about play….

I like your line up and ultimately there is nothing wrong with it, but actually I would do something different if I was Wenger….

Chez

Sag Koz JD Clichy

Song Fabregas

Arshavin Van Persie Nasri

Bendtner

Bench: Jack, Theo, Kieran, Maroune, Abou, Toto and Jens

I think Jack is feeling the pace a little and it will be a cauldron out there, no silly cards needed, Nas, Arshavin and RVP can interchange and support Bendtner down the middle. Fab can control from deeper, force song to hold and then dictate the game.

Then we have a young bench with ability / pace to turn the game late on if we need….

Anyway what do i know, I’ll support the boss whatever he does and just pray we get 3 points….

Together we are stronger…….

25. Carlito11 says:

Thanks Evonne and all you others for the compliments. I had intended to spin a whole prematch out of Dumas quotes on a “musketeers” theme but ran out of steam a bit and changed tack!
    Here’s another one of his quotes which I couldn’t weave in but I thought was brilliant from The Count of Monte Cristo:
    “There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state to another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.”
    I thought it nicely summed up the experience of being a fan and the rollercoaster nature of it 🙂

26. Carlito11 says:

Cheers Harry,
    I like what you’ve done with the team- going forward it would be pretty much a 442 if I follow you right. Probably what we should have gone for at home vs the dippers. Not sure about Arshavin on the right though- won’t offer much counter to Bale…

Carlito
    Hats off. That is as measured, perceptive and insightful a post as I have read in a good long time.

It also achieved its effect: I had been feeling quite apprehensive about tonight, but since reading your piece I have decided to put aside doubts and fears and send positive vibes all the way from Toronto to the away team dressing room in N17.

As Franklin D Roosevelt famously said: the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. If we play with the sort of liberated attitude that you’re advocating, the Spuds don’t stand a chance.

28. WiganGooner says:

Nice article Carlito. I think the Spuds are the most beatable they have been in months at the moment. They don’t look good at all and their reliance on the monkey-man > Va Va Vaart partnership is showing its got cracks.

Va Va Vaart hasn’t been as effective since the turn of the year and Spuds performances have suffered.

I really believe we will get the win tonight. So much so 5 english pounds are gambled upon it.

WG

29. Carlito11 says:

Thanks Rocky- will you be able to watch the game in Canada at that hour on a weekday?
    WG- you are right about VdV’s form since Xmas- Nasri has suffered the same as have so many players this season. It’s been a weirder than normal post-tournament season from that point of view hard to explain…

Redders
    “Being happy as a Gooner does not mean that I shut my eyes and think everything is perfect with our team, it means I have decided to look beyond their imperfections, and realise I still love Arsenal, regardless.”

Brilliant. A mantra for us all – and a sentiment that also (in my ever-so-humble) perfectly reflects the tone and mood of AA.

Carlito
    My boss is also a Gooner 😀
    No way we’ll be missing it!

Harry,
    Dropping RvP from the loan striker role is genius.
    London,
    Taking my Diaby for Jack line, and giving it proper meaning ny switching Cesc/Diaby roles makes perfect sense.
    Harry and London for manager. I shall call you Hardon The Manager!

Carlito/WG
    Interesting points about the drop-off in form of many players post Christmas. For me this was highlighted by the recent PFA Player of the Year coverage: all the nominations had been in scintillating form in the first half of the season but had been less effective since. I thought Bale was a pretty lame choice, but then there was no obvious winner. It’s not as if you can say that it should definitely have been X or Y instead. I would probably have gone for Parker… but then he’s in a relegation-struggling team.
    About the only major player who has done it the other way round (ie, bad first half of season, good second) is Rooney (unfortunately).

I am about to receive a Red Card, but I have been stewing. Here goes.
    Fabregas: whether there is any truth/wisdom in what he says or not, I would never play the little prick again. Club Captain speaking to anyone about internal matters..its an absolute NO NO.

Au Soleil.

36. Carlito11 says:

RL- I was very surprised there wasn’t more support for Tevez- that team rarely do anything well without him… Was also a strong case for Joe Hart and Kompany- it’s been yonks since a defender won it- probably since the Sky era I’d think

37. Carlito11 says:

Feisty Micky! First Hardon and now little prick! Think you may have sunstroke 😉

Carlito
    Good shout on Tevez.

39. Carlito11 says:

Thinking about the Manchavs- it’s going to be one of the most grindingly boring FA Cup finals in years isn’t it? I don’t want either team to win 😦

40. WiganGooner says:

It is a weekend that I can happily invite folks round, fire up the bbq and not bother about football thats for sure!

WG

Re the FA Cup Final: You have to feel that Citeh’s Brute-Strength-Plus-Quality will overcome Stoke’s Brute-Strength-Plus-Brute Strength.

However, Stoke playing in the final is really good news for us, given that we play them just six days before the Wembley game. Hopefully none of their clod hoppers will want to risk injury before what, for pretty much all of them, will be the biggest day of their whole careers.

42. 26may1989 says:

Oh Micky, not sure about that one. Given the mental problems that are at the heart of our difficulties in showing this season that we are the best side in the land, I think Fabregas is almost required to express his views. The players collectively (Fabregas included) need to take responsibility for their failings on the pitch; four draws in five games in the run-in (three of the games being eminently winnable and the other thrown away with seconds remaining) just ain’t good enough.

The only thing I would question in what Fabregas says is his failure to understand the true financial context of the last five or six years. To accept the suggestion that we have failed over the past seasons when we have stayed at the top without cash is completely to misunderstand the nature of the financial challenges facing the club; we had no right to do as well as we did between 2006 and 2010, that is the truth. But then Fabregas is just 23 years old, so I can forgive his lack of perspective.

I’m more critical of Fabregas than most Arsenal fans, I feel he gets a very easy ride when he doesn’t turn up on the pitch, whereas the anti-favourites (Bendtner, Eboue, Denilson etc) get slaughtered the moment they do anything short of brilliant. But I don’t begrudge Fabregas saying something openly on this occasion, much of this needs to be said because this season, we simply should have dominated the league, yet here we are scraping the barrel of our chances. If we are, against the odds, to turn this season around in the last few games, the players all need to show the steely determination we’ve all been desperate to see from them all season.

43. Carlito11 says:

I like your extensive inventory of all of Stoke’s footballing qualities RL! Spot on! Good point about them maybe giving us an easier ride than normal. Hope the match still counts for something…

44. 26may1989 says:

Good point re Stoke (hopefully) being distracted Rocky.

I have real difficulties about this year’s FA Cup Final: I simply don’t know which of the finalists I hate more, the two of them sitting with Chelsea at the top of my Hierarchy of Hate.

I feel dirty for saying it, but I think I would prefer to see the scum of Stoke City win rather than the scum of Man City.

45. Carlito11 says:

Well said 26M! Quality comment. I agree that Cesc got a very easy ride in the blogosphere after the Liverpool game- I thought he was far to casual in much of his play… but that was the last game and tonight I am sure he’ll give everything!

I have a feeling Chamakh will start tonight with RVP just tucked in behind him in a 4-4-2.or 4-4-1-1

47. Carlito11 says:

Kelsey, do you have another source telling you these things? Have we seen that formation before this season? I was excited by the prospect of Chamakh and RvP playing together when we were waiting for the boy wonder to get fit again but Chamakh’s decline in form seemed to coincide with RvPs return. I can only recall a few minutes of them playing together when Cham came on as sub and Robin shifted out wide….

Carlito,

no source just a gut feeling, his height will be influential rather than Bendtner playing out on the wing.We will see.

49. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky,

Just woken after a much needed siesta, and was pleased you liked my personal reflections on how I feel as a gooner.

Nothing to do with an AKB mentality or even an AKFA mentality, but the somewhat bigger picture over my lifetime.

Perhaps a bit deep for a footie blog, but the truth is the truth. 🙂

On the other hand I could have set out a little bon mot that always tickles me;

— Love is not gazing into beautiful, pellucid eyes while listening to the corruscating moan of a distant violin, it’s the twang of a bedspring, or two! —

Probably more me, some might think! 🙂

50. Red Arse says:

Hope young Chas’ fingers are OK. Perhaps he will let me know?

I have been laying awake worrying about them. 🙂

micky
    I think (respectfully) that you’re over reacting about Cesc.
    What did he say that really bugged you?

How many times have people on AA called for leadership and for someone to be honest about things? We’re all heartily sick of hearing how great our ‘mental strength’ is – maybe it’s time for a few home truths. And who better to deliver them than the captain?

There were lots of positive notes in his comments, as well as some honest assessment of our shortcomings.

Coupled with RvP criticising our ‘almost criminal’ throwing away of points and with AW today saying we have been panicking too much at the end of games (specifically Liverpool), it at least denotes an attitude at the club of acknowledging the problems and not trying to pretend everything’s great when it isn’t.

We appear to have moved from denial to acceptance. From acceptance we can move forward to conquering the problem(s).

Redders
    I love the little diversions of your aphorisms. Please keep them coming. And the beautiful language.
    After Chas gave us ‘pulchritudinous’ yesterday, you have now given us ‘pellucid’ today in your latest aphorism. I’ve been rolling it round my tongue ever since (oo-er missus).

53. Harry says:

26m, i feel your pain too, but for me I could stomach Man City winning the FA cup more than stoke, just to see that thug shawcross with the FA cup would anger me…With Adebayor gone from city, i have no axe to grind, ok they have spent millions upon trillions, so it would be funny to see them lose but Stoke to win, a big fat no, flipping pub team, i detest pullis and all he stands for…..

54. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

That is what I meant when mentioning my concerns over Chas’ fingers.

The contortions his digits must have gone thru’ typing ‘pulchritudinous’ when wishing me well with the nurse, elevates him to a special status, as a collegiate graduate, for his chivalry in the face of certain fingerbobs trouble! 🙂

Well done Chas! 🙂

55. Red Arse says:

Harry,

I share the angst of 26 (I thought I’d zapped him) 🙂 and your goodself regarding the FA Cup Final.

Pulis is hateful, indeed, and Citeh are a rich man’s toy; but in the final (no pun intended) analysis, I, as an acountant, have to plump for Citeh because;
    — Money is better than poverty; if only for financial reasons! 🙂

Off now, hopefully chat tomorrow, with some nice smiley faces! 🙂

56. HCAA says:

Wenger’s childish petulance towards Dalglish on Sunday was pathetic, and someone with so-called ‘class’ or ‘dignity’ would never display such behaviour. Dalglish wasn’t the Ref, nor were they ever going to lay down and surrender a result to us. And apart from a hat-trick against 10-man Blackpool, and buying his girlfriend a very expensive car, what has he done/does he do for us?

57. HCAA says:

I was referring to Walcott in the second part.

58. Carlito11 says:

Kelsey, I sincerely hope we don’t see Bendtner out on the wing tonight. That will really upset me!
    RA- I too loved your summary of being happy as a gooner. Me too! 🙂

Hi all, just popping in very quickly.

It seems some of you are unaware of the sub-plot to the FA cup final that has got the spud fans spitting feathers.

If city beat stoke in the fa cup final, it will be in stoke’s interest to see city get 4th in the prem because they will automatically go into the Europa league. That means that Stoke may feel less motivated to beat city in the league if that game (as is currently the case) takes place after the FA cup final = stoke may wish to lose to city to make sure they get 4th spot to ensure European football and therefore morer money. ‘Arry is asking for the city/stoke league game to be move forward to before the FA cup final.

60. Carlito11 says:

HCAA- I think what Walcott does for us is sporadic but when he does it- it’s great! Think Chelsea in December- he and Fabregas combined beautifully. Even against Liverpool, he didn’t create a breakthrough but the dippers played far better and with less anxiety once the threat of that blistering pace down the right was subbed off. Still has his best years ahead of him- I think us Gooners can be too quick to write players off sometimes…

HCAA,

Bad timing to express such views just before an important game don’t you think?

62. Carlito11 says:

Rasp- I was unaware of that sub-plot. Fascinating stuff… I think Stoke will be less than motivated to beat City whether they win or lose at Wembley in that case. I can see ‘Arry’s point- FA Cup final is supposed to be the last domestic game of the calendar. Can we get a “Harrycam” for the game just to watch him twitch?!! 😀

63. HCAA says:

Rasp,

The title’s gone, as will 2nd place, maybe even 3rd if you compare our run-in with City’s. We’ve all been spun on a tissue of lies which is poisoning our club, and the sooner it is addressed the better! Stop the bullshit spin, tell it like it is.

64. Carlito11 says:

As for Wenger lacking class- you may have a point about his reaction but remember that the media don’t play Wenger fairly. This tweet from 1989Gooner earlier today sums it up nicely:
    “Alan Pardew encroaches on Wenger, Wenger reacts, Wenger’s fault. Wenger encroaches Dalglish, Dalglish reacts, Wenger’s fault.”
    …and we all get wound up by football don’t we?

65. Carlito11 says:

HCAA- I did tell it like it is in my post at the top of the page. Any thoughts on the points I made?

HCAA,

I don’t indulge in “bullshit spin”. I just offer my view of things in the form of an opinion rather than a concrete fact. You don’t know in what position we, city or anyone else will end up in the league. I choose to be optimistic in my support.

67. HCAA says:

My thoughts Carlito are that we are saddled with a lot of w*nkers who don’t deserve to be at the club, Wenger & Walcott are prime examples.

68. HCAA says:

Watching the same failings over and over again, regardless of the competition or quality of opposition chips away at optimism Rasp. Sunderland – 1pt in 9 games. The point came against us. Blackburn – no clean-sheet away all season, and they even went down to 10-men. And there’s example after example over the last few years of us doing exactly the same. Walcott should be having the same impact for us by now that Rooney does for Man Utd, but he isn’t good enough. He is championship-level at best. If Wenger isn’t intelligent enough to recognise what Alan Hansen pointed out on MOTD, what is he doing at our club?

69. 26may1989 says:

HCAA: “My thoughts Carlito are that we are saddled with a lot of w*nkers who don’t deserve to be at the club”. Quite agree, when I look around at some of my fellow “fans”, that is exactly what I feel.

70. HCAA says:

26may,

So we all wear our blinkers and agree that we’re among the best in the world, do we?

71. London says:

Bloody hell Micky

Quick, take these red and white tinted glasses, put them on and repeat after me: Fabregas can do no wrong, Fabregas can do no wrong, keep chanting this and I promise that all those nasty little doubts will disappear.

72. London says:

“Wenger should listen to Hansen”

I didn’t think it was possible but I think I can safely say that I have now heard everything.

73. 26may1989 says:

HCAA, have a look at my 3.46pm post if you want a flavour of my views.

Truth is there are some who are completely blinkered in seeing no wrong in the current situation, and there are others (you perhaps??) who are utterly blinkered in seeing nothing right.

The hysterical nonsense I see from some, which would be appropriate if we were second bottom rather than second top, just destroys any credibility their arguments may have had.

74. HCAA says:

London,

Wenger shouldn’t need to listen to Hansen (who won titles and European Cups!), he shouldn’t have wasted £9m in the first place. When Walcott actually starts, what does he contribute? He’s not a match-winner, in fact we’re lucky if he has three or four good games a year. Or are we all supposed to uligise about what a legend he is/will be?

75. London says:

Oooh, HCAA

If only you knew my views a little better, on that subject we have so much in common.

Evening all,
    Carlito,
    Never enough sun!
    Rocky,
    Thanks for your gentle reply, it is that I happen to think the club captain should not express his views to the spanish media, or anywhere else, other than to his boss. I hate disloyalty, and often wonder what his “will he won’t he stay” does for team fighting spirit.
    I will now let the subject go. Just been honest, guv’s!
    Now I hope he goes out and leads us to a comprehensive victory.

77. HCAA says:

26may,

I don’t agree that we had no right to success between 2006-10. Why should a winning manager change over-night to a losing manager? Did he forget how to win? It’s not like he hasn’t spent money.

78. Carlito11 says:

Let’s hear no more “down with Wenger everything is awful” comments until we lose to Spurs tonight 😉 HCAA- I invited you to comment on the points of my post and you came back with a generalism from your own bank of opinions. Can I ask if you read the post, what you think our chances are tonight, and whether you’d agree that we are playing for pride and victory tonight? Surely when faced with our arch-rivals you could vent your spleen in that direction rather than in the direction of the club you support?
    Most importantly- what do you make of the Alexandre Dumas quote in the middle of my blog that was directed the self-defeating nature of expressing doubt?

79. Carlito11 says:

And on the subject of venting spleen- I was rather looking forward to a forthright and distinctly unbalanced contribution from that world renowned spud-hater: Charybdis1966. Come out Chary- this blog needs you to get us revved up prematch!

80. HCAA says:

Carlito,

I’m worried about tonight, we owe them a beating, big-time. I agree with the quote of Alexandre Dumas, and yes we should channel our energy into beating Tottenham. I just think in terms of the bigger picture, in football terms, we are becoming a laughing-stock, and we deserve so much better.

81. 26may1989 says:

HCAA, from 2005/6 to 2010, it is exactly like Wenger hasn’t spent money. I reckon the current squad cost about £90m BUT that’s without taking account of the sales at the same time (Henry, Toure, Adebayor etc), hence the famous trading profits Wenger has made. In fact many anti-Wengerites use that as a means to slag him off.

As soon as his critics couch their arguments in the club’s economic reality, I listen. But fail to do that and your views are just so much chip paper.

Still, at least you can enjoy the result either way tonight: either we win and you can quietly enjoy the fact your club achieved a glorious victory (though obviously you’ll want to keep a low profile here and on other blogs), or we lose and you get to lap it up with the ITYS brigade. All good for you!

Carlito,
    Chary is very occupied hatching his plot to see the downfall of the red nosed one. It will be worth waiting for.

I simply cannot wait to win tonight. I think the Newcastle point last night will re-energize the boys.

84. SharkeySure says:

Cracking pre match Carlito!

85. Really need a volunteer to write a match report ……

86. HCAA says:

26may,

Were Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri, Vermaelen, Squillaci, Koscielny all freebies? How can you defend somebody who thought Almunia was good enough to be our Number 1 for three or four years?

87. 26may1989 says:

Night night HCAA, have better things to do than answer your nonsense. Enjoy this evening.

88. Carlito11 says:

I’m going to bow out until post-match. See you all then. COME ON YOU REDS!

89. HCAA says:

That’s right mate, none so blind as them who don’t want to see. Let’s not spoil our perfect tippy-tappy passing game by daring to shoot! Let’s not get carried away with too much ambition!

90. SharkeySure says:

HCAA – does any part of you feel like you should only be supporting everything to do with our club today..??

Its like when my ten year old is being horrible to his 7 yr old sister. I ask him – if someone comes in and starts hitting her, are you gonna stop them or join in..??

I know for some Anti Arsene types every day is a non stop whinging day, but some of us like a day off from it.

91. SharkeySure says:

Team news is good, I just can;t see the Toots midfieldcoping with the power of both Song and Diaby. Hopefully Diaby is the furthest forward of the three.

Toots attacking line up looks like it will leave them wide open

4-1 to the good guys tnt

92. Harry says:

Agreed sharkey, the power of diaby and song looks good, need cesc to be big tonight, massive game for Theo as well…….Rvp and Nasri will be their usual…..

4-1 would be great, fancy 4-2 myself….

93. Carlito11 says:

What has Walcott ever done for us? I give you exhibit A! Quality but mental game… Attack good defence bad.

Pills needed for the second half.
    Their fans are utterly revolting, and pathetic. That slow chant is soo horrible.

95. SharkeySure says:

Lol Harry, I thought your 7.46 was a Ht comment !!

Diaby’s lost the ball a couple of times, but I couldn’t care less. He’s getting about the pitch tremendously.

96. SharkeySure says:

Lol Carlito re exhibit A, I thought exactly that too when Theo scored.

My old ticker can’t take another half like that.

Is Sz at fault for the first goal..?? I think he’s positioned wrongly. Great take-out on Bale though. Shame its now all gonna be about that wink. ‘Winkgate’ anyone..??

97. SharkeySure says:

Mickey, thats why we call them SCUM.

My son says we need to watch out for the ref. I think he has a point.

Brilliant post, Carlito.

Been out all day. Just got back for kick-off.

Thanks for the heads up RA and Rocky. 🙂

100. Gooner in Exile says:

Right I’ve caught up was on delay for a while there seems like I’ve missed a fun day.

Spuds having a lot of pressure which was telling at the end there, but plenty of space to run into which Theo is exploiting.

Well done Chesney he tamed the ape 🙂

101. Gooner in Exile says:

Stupid bookings now, Ramsey for Abou? Game starting to pass him by a bit

102. SharkeySure says:

PROUD.

Yep mistakes were made, but that was a good performance.

103. Gooner in Exile says:

Bollox…..,,very tired legs out there second half.

Silly boy Szczesney but if it wasn’t then it had the feeling of ending that way anyway.

They just showed RvP disallowed goal and bastard it was onside!

104. goonermichael says:

That was disappointing. I think the chavs may nick it.

105. Gooner in Exile says:

Agreed Sharkey some great performances and surely they have shut some of the “they don’t play for the shirt” nonsense we’ve heard.

106. Gooner in Exile says:

Was just thinking that GM which would be an absolute bastard!

107. goonermichael says:

I thought we pkayed the best we have for ages

108. Harry says:

1. gutted.
    2. great performance team wise.
    3. Fab was Fab
    4. theo was exceptional, stuff those doubters, but why take him off?
    5. JUst as well jack didnt start he wouldnt have stayed on…
    6. Chez a bit rash, but love him…..
    7. Van persie was so onside unreal, called it at the time as well, so annoyed they brush it off as oh well…

Still in it, not over, big ask though……

109. goonermichael says:

It seems like the mancs are saying “you have it Arsenal, we don’t want it and we’re a bit rubbish” and we’re saying “let’s leave it for the chavs”

110. Gooner in Exile says:

Just had a quick look at league and if Cheksea beat Man U and we beat them we will all be tied on equal points assuming everyone wins all other games this could go down to the wire.

111. Gooner in Exile says:

There was a very big COULD at the end of my last comment.

112. Gooner in Exile says:

Harry I agree with not taking Theo off if anything the game was passing centre of pitch by and Song, Cesc and RvP looked tired, would have liked to have freshened that up a bit.

Altho such was pace of game that coming in from cold very difficult.

113. Carlito11 says:

Cannot understand the subs- Thought we had the perfect outlet in Theo even if he wasn’t as sharp as first half. 10 minutes to get into the game for AA and NB52 wasn’t enough and they were poor subs. Another draw snatched from the jaws of victory but what a match! Strange how the performance changes everything.
    I did notice that Fabregas had his head down for the last 15 minutes- doubt? He looked like he did I’m sad to say…

114. goonermichael says:

I thought we may lose before the game so I can’t really feel too disappointed really. I’d given up the league since Blackburn anyway.

115. Carlito11 says:

GM- good comment. Who blinks last wins… We’ve got sand in our eyes and can barely keep em open

116. Carlito11 says:

Harry you’re right about RVP’s “offside”. Wrong decision by the ref/lino and brushed off by the typically anti Arsenal commentators… the intensity and fight on both sides was immense but Spurs looked more able to hone their intensity and fashion chances. Our intensity led to errors, blind alleys and panic… Looking at the attempts stats we are quite fortunate to have a draw out of that…

Well,
    Best performance from the lads for quite some time.
    Theo was very good.
    Cesc (attacking wise) was brilliant but gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times (shades of the Nou Camp).
    Song was also good, as was RvP and the defence.
    Chesney responsible for giving away two goals (but made some blinding saves as well). If Almunia had had that performance he would be slaughtered despite the good saves. Truth is, Chesney is going to make a lot of mistakes because he’s so young. He was partially to blame for us losing the CC and his mistakes probably cost us two points tonight. However, I have no doubt he will become a great ‘keeper for us.
    Although we surrendered a two-goal lead it did not feel anything like the capitulation at the Grove earlier this season.
    If RvP was really on side then I am extremely angry – I thought the ref, without having a particularly bad game, was quite influenced by the home crowd and gave a lot to them.
    Their second goal resulted from the Chesney/Bale incident, which should have been a yellow card to Bale and free kick to us. Instead he gave a throw to the Spuds, which led indirectly to their goal.

118. goonermichael says:

Rocky
    Robin was way onside.

119. Harry says:

Rocky@ Only 1 goal ie penalty for chez, the other goals just blinding, the 2nd was a poor clearance by cesc.

Agreed with Wenger, physically dropped alot in 2nd half and I agree carlito, cesc’s head was down in last 10..

Thought wenger got alot right tonight apart from last 2 subs, I would have took song and van persie off, bendtner down middle, arshavin left and keep theo right, nas and fab with jack across the middle…

Still right annoyed about the goal disallowed, we did not capitulate or throw away a 2 goal lead like other games, totally different scenairo..

120. goonermichael says:

Just read back through some comments. I’m not Walcotts biggest fan but “championship”? Why does Capello pick him then?

121. Gooner in Exile says:

Anyone else think there was an awful lot of falling to the ground by Spuds tonight? Modric particularly.

122. Harry says:

The thing is, it wasnt just on side by a bit, it was blantantly onside by a lot…….

Nearly good enough, but not quite.
    Can’t really fault the performance tonight.
    Just an incorrect decision from the linesman away from nirvana. 🙂

124. goonermichael says:

We’ve dropped to third facourites now.

125. Anyone volunteering to write a small match report? I’m out really early in the morning and want to get it sorted for Rasp ……. anyone?

126. Not only was it on-side it was a cracking goal 😦

127. Harry says:

GoonerMichael, it makes me laugh when people slate theo, it says to me, “there is another who doesnt understand football”

We rarely play to theo’s strengths, when we do, he plays like tonight, play in front not to his feet and when he has he ball out wide get in the box…..

For me he was excellent tonight, probably 8/10, would have been even better when he could probably have score another……

128. I thought Cesc was peerless first half, really showed what we’ve been missing – and what we’ll miss if he goes.

129. Gooner in Exile says:

Sorry Peaches busy getting ready for Easter break.

I’d be hard pressed to say I’m not more than a little annoyed with Chesney, okay his young but having forced Lennon to poke ball forward by rushing out he had done his job he did not have to try to play the ball. Yes he made some good saves but none of them were anything other than expected of a PL keeper.

I’m really pissed off by some of the things I gave read on Twitter which has resulted in me ceasing to follow a fair few Gooners who are calling that another bottling performance. And that we didn’t deserve a draw the stats show we were out played.

GiE
    It’s ridiculous to say that was a bottling performance. It was a thrilling game with multliple chances at both ends. I hate to say it, but a draw was probably fair. Nevertheless, our boys came out with a great deal of credit.

131. 26may1989 says:

OK, I confess, I’ve only just caught up – my better half was in need of a bit of TLC so have only just caught up on Sky+ (I know, under the thumb, blah blah).

But that was a superb game, I thought every single player was fantastic, those in red and those in lilywhite. It’s a shame our failures in recent games mean a draw is a disappointing result, because that was a fantastic game, exactly as the game should be played.

And truth be told, even accounting for the very poor offside call on van Persie, we can’t be too annoyed at the result, Spurs did more than enough to get a point. Van der Vaart was truly magnificent tonight, and Fabregas and Walcott were great too. Plus that was a superb performance from Assou-Ekotto. And despite the penalty, Szczesny was great. Looking across the pitch, just excellent performances everywhere. I can’t even slag Diaby off.

What really galls me, beyond the United-friendly result and slipping down to third place, is that this is precisely the sort of gutsy performance we’ve been aching for; had the players shown this sort of determination and competitiveness in the last few weeks, our season could have been very different.

132. HCAA says:

Sods law that for the first time in ages, Walcott has a blinding game. If he’s so special, he’d be doing it every week, as Rooney does, not once every few months!

133. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha ha HCAA, you are so graceless it’s funny, even when Walcott shows you up, you look for a way of slagging him off! But fair play to you for coming back.

Oh be quiet HCAA.
    You think Rooney does it every week? You obviously missed the first two thirds of the season then.
    I hear your view – and of course you are perfectly entitled to it. But on balance I’ll take the view of two of the most successful managers ever (Wenger and Capello) above yours…

135. HCAA says:

26may,

As graceless as Wenger was towards Dalglish on Sunday? I get no pleasure from Walcott flattering to deceive (mostly), because it doesn’t help our cause. As I keep saying, Walcott should be our ‘Rooney’, but you can count on 1 hand the number of great games Walcott has had for us since he arrived. Is that £9m well spent? Definitely not in my opinion.

136. SharkeySure says:

Thats just plain ridiculous HCAA. You think Theo should be more like Messi..?? Lol

Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,
    And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;
    Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,
    Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike.
    — “Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot” by Alexander Pope

….courtesy of google. 🙂

138. HCAA says:

RL,

Most successful managers ever, Wenger & Capello??? Capello who realised Walcott wasn’t good enough for our ordinary WC squad? And if you’re including Wenger, it must mean you’re ignoring every manager who has led their club to European success? The same Wenger who believed Almunia was a top-class GK? That is some blind loyalty!

139. SharkeySure says:

Evening (2*5+4*4 !!)

90mins delay due to ‘TLC for yer missus)tkc. You do know there’s a h/t break for all that nonsense….

140. Gooner in Exile says:

Give me fifteen “great” games from Rooney HCAA not just goals, whole match performances he was three times more expensive so I guess he should have at least ten great games in him. I bet you couldn’t get much above 5 for Rooney either.

This season Theo has a bunch of goals early the lung lay off for injury, then Chelsea home, and he is only just getting back to fitness after injury against Stoke and we were seeing his pace and everything good about him tonight, he went more central too late on.

The biggest thing that showed to me in second half was fatigue, RvP, Cesc are not match fit. Neither is Song, whereas Djourou and Sagna seemed to slot in where they left off and werent blowing after fifteen minutes of second half.

Spuds definitely benefited from 7 days off after Madrid exit.

141. SharkeySure says:

Naah thats courtesy of Chas…you had to go look for that. Well worth the effort !

142. HCAA says:

Sharkey,

The way Walcott was talked about and hyped up when we first signed him, yes he should have progressed to somewhere near that level. No I didn’t miss the first few months of the season RL, but now we’re at the crucial part of the season, who has stood up? Rooney. Never fails against us, does he? But saying that, at the start of the season I said Hernandez was better than Vela and got flack for that too. One-eyed Wengerites are Kings in the land of the blind!

143. SharkeySure says:

Yeah HCAA the very same Capello who acknowledges that one of his big WC mistakes was not taking Theo to ZA

144. 26may1989 says:

And HCAA, why do you keep saying Walcott should be our Rooney? If you mean we paid a wedge for a 17-year old (albeit about a third of the cost of Rooney) and Rooney did better than Walcott, then yes, you’re right. But then why do you only compare Walcott with Rooney, surely every player should be measured in the same way? Rooney (for all his granny-shagging, scummy behaviour) is an exceptional player, and there’s simply no point measuring others against him, unless you’re talking about the world’s best.

Anyway, think about another great 17-year old, Michael Owen, and think about what came of him – just disappeared off the radar. Or think about a couple of the greatest players ever to wear the red and white, Thierry Henry and Ian Wright: they didn’t really kick in till they were 23/24.

My point? There’s no point comparing players as you do. Walcott isn’t perfect but he’s done more for us than you credit him for, and when he’s been fit this season has done a good job. You judge him harshly because you’ve known of him since he joined as a high profile signing. But he wasn’t even 17 then and is only 22 now. Will he become a great? I have no idea, but he has talent and he can build on his good work so far.

145. Gooner in Exile says:

HCAA you’re embarrassing yourself.

Capello admitted he was wrong to exclude him from 2010 hence why he is picked so often now.

And on Almunia did I think he did a good job as stand in for Jens….yes, did I think he deserved the shirt following season….yes. Do I think Wenger showed blind faith….maybe but Almunia is not a bad keeper. Remember when the papers were asking him to become British citizen to play in goal for England before Joe Hart came along.

146. Gooner in Exile says:

I love how supporting your players makes you a one eyed Wengerite…..it just means you support players who wear the red and white, always have always will.

Every player can be judged when they’ve left. How many never rated Gilberto but what a gaping hole he left in our side. How many wrote off Beckham at Madrid but he proved everyone (including Capello) wrong. How many wrote off Djourou and Song but now don’t feel happy if they’re not playing. If history has taught us anything it’s not to write a player off at a young age.

147. SharkeySure says:

You thought we’d signed Messi HCAA..?? No wonder you’re disappointed.

Honestly though, that does end the debating with you for me, cos I cant really take you too seriously after that. No real offence intended, but I had to say it.

148. Gooner in Exile says:

By the way Rocky at 11:13 I agree hence why so many were unfollowed on twitter.

149. SharkeySure says:

Agree GiE.

Night all

150. HCAA says:

The reason Walcott gets picked regularly for England is because we have so little quality to choose from. I remember the papers saying Almunia would be eligible to play for England, not sure they asked for it to happen or that it was ever a realistic possibility. If in 2 or 3 years Walcott is the superstar you all think he is (when he’s not injured!), I will gladly apologise to you all.

151. SharkeySure says:

So little quality…..

Lennon, Young, milner, Downing, Johnson…yep pretty threadbare !!!

Quick word to Arshavin tonight. Try harder or leave, cos you’re too old and too expensive to be sulking like a little girl.

Right, really going now…..

152. 26may1989 says:

Whether Walcott becomes a superstar or not isn’t the point, the fact that he isn’t one at 22 is irrelevant. He’s a good player and may get better. Just get a grip and adjust your expectations.

153. HCAA says:

Good for you Sharkey. Perhaps in your head Walcott is Messi! Pity he couldn’t do to Barca what Messi did to us.

154. HCAA says:

I want my team to be the best on the planet. Do you mean adjust it and lower those expectations? Because I thought that was one of the main reasons for leaving Highbury?

155. 26may1989 says:

God you’re tiring HCAA.

Yes, we all want Arsenal to be the bestest team in the world ever. And until they are, I’m going to sulk and sulk and sulk, and cry and cry and cry.

156. HCAA says:

So if I don’t agree with you on any particular player’s merits we’re going to behave like 5 year-olds? See the Vela/Hernandez comparison slipped throudh the radar as well.

157. 26may1989 says:

Hernandez is better than Vela. No argument there.

But your expectation that Walcott should be a world-beater because we paid £9m for him when he was 16 is plain silly.

HCAA
    It’s just boring that you’re so one note. Admittedly this is probably a more sophisticated debating environment than you’re used to, but if you can’t rise to the right level you might be better off finding another forum.

Can you find anything positive to say about the team you purport to support? And stop all these silly comparisons. Instead of flagging Vela/Hernandez, why don’t you flag Fabregas/Djemba Djemba or Vieira/Veron or Nasri/Valencia?

You’re not actually putting forward any kind of coherent argument because you are so completely blind to anything positive. Making one silly comparison between two very different players offers nothing to any sensible discussion.

As for not accepting that Wenger and Capello are among the most successful managers currently working in world football – honestly, you’re just embarrassing yourself. Ask any leading sports journalist for their top 10 football managers and both AW and FC will be on the list.

159. HCAA says:

Then we’ll agree to disagree. Man Utd paid £30m for Rooney when he was 17, and if you remember scored a wonder goal against us when he was 16. But as you rightly point out, not everyone develops at the same rate. Owen might have gone off the radar, but before his series of injuries, he scored 40 goals for England. I’d love Walcott to emulate that, and he still might, but it’s taking an awful long time for that potential to bear fruit.

160. HCAA says:

A more sophisticated debating environment than I’m used to? That’s a little condescending is it not? So anyone who has the slightest bit of criticism for Wenger, his tactics or his transfer dealings should go elsewhere to voice their concerns because you don’t encourage free-thinking on here?

161. 26may1989 says:

I think HCAA gave the game away when he said to Sharkey it was all about the hype when we first signed Walcott. Perhaps he thought Walcott really would be Messi or Rooney. When it turned out Walcott wasn’t a stellar genius, and was merely good, it must have felt like betrayal given all the hype.

But then who was it that hyped Walcott? It wasn’t the player was it, or the club, or Wenger. The press of course, and that fool Sven Goran Eriksson for taking a player to a World Cup before he had played in the PL.

So HCAA, if you have a beef, write to the Press Complaints Commission. In the meantime, get real about a talented Arsenal player who gives his best.

Yes HCAA, it was a little condescending. But what do you think you’ve been doing most of the time you’ve been on here, with all your talk of being blind, blinkered, one-eyed etc? Do you really think all the life-long Gooners who use this site are just plain stupid? If not, why drop so many casual insults? It’s the sort of thing that goes on on quite a few blogs that I would characterise as being unsophisticated and inarticulate.
    If you can’t discuss things without being condescending yourself, you can expected to be condescended in return.
    Most people on here have a complex view of our club and how we’re doing. We all have different players in whom we have less faith and none of us thinks Wenger is perfect (far from it).
    But when we’re called out on something we’ve said that proves to be wrong (like your daft assertion about Rooney ‘doing it every week’ when, this season, he quite clearly hasn’t) we generally have the good grace to acknowledge the point.
    A discussion/debate involves listening as well as speaking.
    Honestly, your views are welcome on here but you don’t really seem interested in discussing them in any developed way.

163. HCAA says:

26may,

I shall consider myself severely reprimanded. And yes, there is a lot of truth in your last post, but I’ve seen many an Arsenal fan get carried away after Walcott gives us 2 or 3 good games a year.

164. 26may1989 says:

HCAA, you’re obviously a committed and knowledgeable fan. I’d encourage you to come back, there’s a range of opinion here and there’s plenty of criticism of Wenger too, just not a lot of tolerance for blind, unreasoned hate.

165. HCAA says:

RL,,

I don’t think I said Rooney does it every week, and his attitude stinks. As a gypsy from Irish stock I’m not even sure he should represent England. But he does it for Man Utd when it matters. Your point about Vieira/Djemba Djemba or Fabregas/Veron is flawed because unlike us, they haven’t had a 6-year barren spell. And during Wenger’s time here, Ferguson has won CL twice, whereas Wenger will never win it.

every cloud has a silver lining #spudsalittlefurtherfromchampionsleague

HCAA, see your 11:31.
    Nite all.

168. HCAA says:

Chas,

apologies, spot on! The point I was trying to emphasise was what I just said to RL, Rooney steps up when it matters (for Man Utd not England). He’s carried them in the PL and was the difference against Chelsea in CL.

That’s more like it HCAA!
    But you’re still wrong about Rooney: he hasn’t carried them in the PL this season, although admittedly he’s doing so now.
    You obviously have a big downer on Theo, which is fine. I happen to think he’s had a good season – certainly (as the stats prove) a far more effective one than Bale.
    My earlier question was serious: tell me what you think is good about our team at the moment?

170. London says:

Morning all

Does anyone know why Diaby went off with 54 minutes to go?

171. Gooner in Exile says:

From Sam Atterface on Cesc interview, maybe explains the no Press Conference or is it another smoke screen:

AW #AFC on Cesc “it bothers me, it was an article organised by the club, we checked thru after the reporter did not respect the agreement.”

Jeepers,
    That HCAA has the stamina of a racehorse and the stubborness of a mule.

London,
    I think they said on TV something about a knock.

174. …… still no offer of a match report, I must be losing my touch 😦

175. Harry says:

London: No, unsure….Tactical…?

The fight shown is probably too little too late, started playing like that 6 weeks ago and the title would be sewn up by now……

I cannot believe the crock of total garbage wrote in the press and in the blogosphere, capitulate? throw away? bottled it? So far from the truth its laughable…

As for Myles Palmer this morning, what a complete moron…..

Busy day today so will check later, have a good day all…….

176. Gooner in Exile says:

Full quote

“It bothers me because this was an article organised by the club with checks after the article was written. Not only did the reporter not respect the agreement but also he twisted it completely.

“We are really upset about it because it is a newspaper called Don Balon and what is added in the translation – I read Spanish and I invite you to see what is written. It is personally disappointing and unprofessional on the part of the journalist.

“I know Cesc well enough and I don’t need to tell you any more. He said completely the opposite.

Just really wish I had been a neutral for that one. Cracking game, and let’s face it, you would always take the away point under normal circs.

Thanks for posting that GiE.
    As for the line: ““The whole article is the exact opposite of what the player said. We have to get on with it. We do not give much importance to the media as you think. Our job is to talk little, do a lot. Your job is to talk a lot…”
    MICKY RETRACTS WHAT HE SAID YESTERDAY ABOUT CESC.
    Looks like he did not publically slag off he club, so I am sorry

179. Gooner in Exile says:

Agreed Harry, it was like a basketball match 3-1 was no real advantage in the way the game was played.

Teddy Sheringham summed it up in post match, saying something along the lines that at 3-1 we still want to play football, putting the ball back in play ASAP whereas others with a two goal advantage would slow it up.

Not a single goal against or for was down to poor defending, if anything lack of fitness did for us and the bookings picked up either side of half time which meant it was dangerous for a few players to apply pressure for fear of a quick trick bringing out a second yellow, that resulted in them having a bit more free reign through midfield.

Peaches,
    Sorry. Firstly, I cant write a match report, and secondly, I cant write a match report.
    Had to work till midnight, then from five am, and now leaving.
    Have a good day all.

181. Gooner in Exile says:

Peaches….match report :

BLIMEY WHAT A SCORCHER.

182. London says:

We didn’t play badly, nothing to be ashamed of. A rare game in which the opposition come onto us, as flowers need light, Theo needs space and boy did he make the most of it, gobbling it up as eagerly as a child eating chocolate. A superbly taken goal and a classy assist for RVP.
    Wenger had obviously been reading my comments because he finally started with a team selection I have been banging on about for ages.
    I found it interesting how our style of play altered after substitutions were made: going from a serious goal scoring threat we reverted, when Wilshere came on, to tippy tappy football around the edge of their box.
    Jack played some fantastic through balls but for some reason and it is not just his fault we completely lost our goal threat.

Morning all.

What have bentley,Rose and Huddlestone got in common.Answer they will never score a goal again like us again.

Really enjoyed the match except the subs Bendtner and Arshavin if anything took away our momentum.

I think we have found our number one keeper.

Still all to play for.

London, Diaby went off with a slight knock

apolgies about naming chamakh yesterday,he wasn’t even on the bench.something is going on methinks.

185. Here’s the deal, Rasp and I are really busy this morning but BigRaddy left a post comparing our chaps to the mashed spuds so I’m going to use it today as we don’t have a match report.

186. I’m going to be away from the computer now so if anyone is feverishly writing a match report can they flag it up on the blog please before they send it through. Back later ……………

Now that’s what you call parking the bus to ensure a trophy doesn’t get away!

Sometimes I struggle to write two consecutive sentences, let alone a match report. Sorry peaches.

New post …….