Arsenal’s Top Gunner 2014-15

Only three ways to go upon arrival at my Uncle Earnests’ house.

Upstairs. Perfectly clear what his intentions are here. Might hurt, but pretty straight forward stuff. Downstairs into the basement, or what he refers to as his “private dressing room”. Yeah right. Good luck down there. Finally, sideways, down a long corridor and into his Incident Room.

The Incident Room overlooks a large expanse of Scottish sea loch, where Earnest keeps the odd lobster pot. Poachers frequent these wild and isolated open spaces. Earnest does not believe they have any “rights” whatsoever, and are themselves fair game. He had a plan, and it involved me.

My brother and I were lead to the Incident Room. We entered. Holy Crap. The enormous room had its vast French doors flung open. The aperture was filled with a large cannon retrieved from a Spanish Galleon. Ropes securing it some shrubs outside to prevent damaging recoil. Next to the beast was a brass monkey and a pyramid of 2” iron cannonballs.

Into my hands went a box of matches, and into my brothers a hideously dangerous looking mop with its head dripping in paraffin. Earnest stood safely outside with his telescope. “Ready. Light. Fire”.

I’ve been almost deaf in my left ear ever since. Anyhow, the thought of cannons makes me think of The Arsenal and Gunners.

Last season, the surprise package and Top Gunner was Aaron Ramsey. Who could emerge from the shadows during this campaign? Given injury free runs, I think the contenders are Jack, Abou, The Ox, Mesut, Ollie, Yaya, Joel and of course Sanchez.

The reason I’ve selected these boys is that I believe they could all progress to new heights. You will also notice how I have not included any defensive players. This is because they are boring, and are simply there to do a job, not entertain.

Earnest is an entertainer, but has peaked. Who at Arsenal is an entertainer that could fire us to new heights? My money is on The Ox.

Written by MickyDidIt89

72 Responses to Arsenal’s Top Gunner 2014-15

Just read the post back to myself, and I kinda wish I put more emphasis on the Entertainer bit.

I’ll never forget how I felt walking towards Highbury knowing Wrighty was playing.

The buzz of the unexpected about to happen put extra springs in our steps. I have a feeling there is more of this to come from Mesut, Ox and of course Sanchez.

There’s winning, drawing and losing, but separate to all of these is being entertained.

Cannot wait for this season to get going, as I think we’re in for a ball.

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, Micky you are a seriously weird dude…but we love you :D

My tip for Top Gunner is the first payer we signed this summer, a left back from Greece, that’ll please Terry, Elias Chatzitheodoridis. Just wait and see!!

Oh, and I’m weird Norfolk :-)

Cheers, Micky.

I think it’ll be Mesut.
    Not so much emerging from the shadows (after all he doesn’t live in N17) but being appreciated for what he does on the football pitch.

Speaking to thick Northern oiks who thought he was Germany’s worst player at the World Cup, made me realise that even those who are too blind to see will have a revelation.
    The thought of him feeding Sanchez and Walcott makes me drool with anticipation.
    He gets a fair few assists already. This season I think his pre-assists will go through the roof.

Eeee, I’m getting excited about tomorrow even without the Germans playing.

p.s. I’d also like it to be The Ox, Jack, Abou, Yaya and Joel, preferably all at once.

Micky
    I’ll give you a ring about half hour before kick off. :)

Well Micky
    ” I think the contenders are Jack, Abou, The Ox, Mesut, Ollie, Yaya, Joel and of course Sanchez.”

Very positive thinking young man.

Diaby just being a cameo contender would be a big plus.

Jack: A defining season for him.

The Ox: an exciting player who in your chosen list could well be the most improved player, the kind of player who gets the fans out of their seats.

Yaya: or is it yoyo.Who knows, Could go either way.

Sanchez and Mesut are truly world class and will memerise many defences.

Joel: most probably the most interesting one as he is yet to start a PL game for us so I reserve my judgement until I see how much confidence AW has in giving him a start or cameo role.

Ollie: (your favorite player) could be the surprise packet and prove to you and me and many others that he really is a striker,but I wouldn’t bet on it.

7. The Ox for me too. He’s not really had a good run in the team because of his injuries and I think some forget how speedy he is.

Really looking forward to tomorrow :D

Flippin heck, getting to and from the ground in Istanbul looks a right ball-ache………

The Ataturk Olimpic Stadium is located approximately 30km from the centre of Old Town Istanbul.

Pick Up/Drop Off Point: Sultanahmet, at the entrance of Hagia Sophia.

Pick Up Time: meeting from 17:00, with Police escorting the coaches at 17:30 – all coaches must leave together and the expected journey time is approximately 90 minutes.

Supporters are advised if they do not take up these complimentary coaches, travel to and from the stadium will be extremely difficult. Please note the local Police advise supporters against travelling on public transport.

A very clever idea for a post Micky.

I was going to go through the list but just before writing something I read Kelsey’s comment and realised he has already said everything that I would have.

I can see Jack and Diaby challenging for the same starting position in the midfield. I expect Jack to be given a good run of games and if it works he could be the surprise player of the season in the same way that Ramsey was last season.

Did anyone else notice Martin Keown’s comment about Jack on MOTD last weekend. Jack was on the floor as usual and Keown said that one of the reason’s he is injured so often is because he holds onto the ball too long. This inevitably invites hard tackles, if he irons this out everything could change. I hope GIE turns out to be right about him being a year behind Ramsey’s development, but his lack of pace and lack of height will always work against him.

As for Diaby: who knows? I can’t really remember all his attributes, but I do know that his height will always be a useful addition to our aerial defence.

Pulis is a smart cookie; he has freed himself up to take over the job at Tottenham that will inevitably become available before Christmas.

A very clever bit of forward thinking from a man who you wouldn’t normally associate with such.

Sorry, I can’t stop myself.

My punt at tomorrow’s starting eleven.

—————–Szczesny

Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Gibbs.

——————–Arteta

———Ramsey———–Wilshere.

—–Sanchez, Sanogo, Cazorla

A quick edit there. Sorry Ox you will be riding the pine tomorrow for a while.

—————–Szczesny

Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Gibbs.

——————–Arteta

———Ramsey———–Wilshere.

———-Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahaha…..

18. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, Micky. :) :) :) Weird or not, yes we love you. :razz: And thanks Micky and Raddy for the comments this morning. Or was it late last night? :razz:

I am tempted to say The Ox as well, but hang on.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly Sanchez appears to have hit the ground running. I suspect he will play as playmaker, in tow with Ozil. That will be quite a class act. This will be my focus of excitement for the moment, until of course Theo returns.

Santi, The Ox and Rosicky will fight for the other attacking midfield spot. Rambo will hold the ante up, and Abou and Jack will fight for their places on the defensive end of the midfield.

Upfront Ollie propped up by Campbell and Yaya, or is it Yoyo as Crystals predicts? :razz:

OK then, given today’s flavour focusing on attack, it will be Sanchez then! COYG. :) :) :)

19. arnie says:

Norfolk. Both the Greek good guys in the academy look tasty. New toys both. :)

Was George Armstrong genuinely two-footed?
    Dandan would’ve liked this.

did the old loon really make you fire a cannon ball?? Fantastic!! I wish I had an uncle like that. Is he still alive?

And what about my Santi? Ok, I doubt he will be getting better and better every season, as he probably has reached his peak, but he will be important to our fight for glory.

I think Mezut is going to improve dramaticall. He was good last season, but you got a feeling he needed a best mate to play with. Now with the arrival of Alexi we may be witnessing something spectacular. Between these 2 and Ramsey I can smell sweet success

22. Norfolk Gooner says:

Despite my light-hearted vote for Elias Chatzitheodoridis this morning, I’d like to think our Top Gun will be the Ox. Problem is that he will struggle to get enough games. Even with a certain amount of rotation it will take injuries or suspensions to free up starting places for him. I just hope he doesn’t get too impatient.

I’m sure this will be covered in tomorrow’s pre-match, but what effect will Pulis’s departure have on Palace?

23. Norfolk Gooner says:

Eddie, if the old loon depended on tying the cannon to shrubs to counteract the recoil I suspect he’s long gone. :D

Great comments and vids and tweeters

Norfolk
    On Ox struggling to get game time, a year ago we’d never have thought Ramsey would emerge as first name on team sheet, so it’s possible to become undropable
    Keep scoring, you’re in.

Chas
    Love those Gentleman’s Cards, and I’ll phone you before nibbling with Peaches and anyone else. Which boozer, and what time do you get stuck in?

Norfolk,
    They were hardy highland well rooted shrubs, and

Eddie, he’s alive and it’s a true story about us firing cannons

It really is an exciting season in prospect.

I know we got hammered a few times last season, but we were leading at the half way point, and Sanchez is so much more than one extra player, because of his versatility.

We have so many more options this time around, and retain all the major players. Then, add in the confidence of the Cup win, as well as a new fitness man, and things look bright.

Very bright. Shades required.

Love the surfing swans

We spent the afternoon surfing, and there was a terrier type dog on a surfboard :-)

send him my regards Micky, great character. The best my uncle could do was get drunk and dance on the table saying he was a Gypsy (?) Nothing as exciting as killing a dog or firing a cannon

Fans of Palace are furious with Pullis walking out on the club just before the start of the season. So am I frankly

I really enjoy tales of Uncle Earnest. Sounds like a top bloke with a clear understanding of how to treat young tearaways like Junior Didit.

I think Gibbs (should he stay fit) will have a fine season. He is developing into the best LB in the league and doing so quietly. BTW He now has the number 3 shirt.

Who would you prefer at LB – Luke Shaw or Gibbs?

Micky
    We’ll probably be in the Kings Head as it’s really close to where Jon will park up with JC, from 3.15 ish.
    As for getting stuck in, that’ll be from 12.30 when we get on the train from Nottingham. :)

BR
    Gibbs, every day of the week. :)

31. Good Evenetning. Thanks for your “feelings” on this Mr Mdi89 and predictably I will go for the obvious choice of Alexis.

Can’t wait for tomorrow and does anyone know what tine Prachy and co ate getting to the Tacern tomorrow ?

Ok Chas

Just googled The Kings Head:

“This is a proper olde traditional pub, unfortunately without much worth drinking..just the usual ubiquitous fluids”

I’m guessing you selected BEACUSE it sells ubiquitous fluids :-)

Right, catch you bright and early on match day :-)

Chary
    The Tacern is worse than the Kings Head.
    Dennis knows when ItDitchy and Prachy will be finished in the kebab shop.
    See you tomorrow for some ubiquitous fluids.

Catch up with you on the bench if all else fails.

36. Ha ha Chas, iPhone typo attacks!

See you tomorrow.

37. fatgingergooner says:

I think Özil will be the top Gunner this season. He’s had a year to settle in, he’s full of confidence from winning the World Cup, he’s had the pressure taken off him a little with the arrival of Sanchez and the emergence of Ramsey, and he’s going to have more firepower to link up with in Sanchez, Walcott, Ox and Campbell.

I’m seeing 20 assists and 10 goals from the lad this year.

38. fatgingergooner says:

Really excited about tomorrow and the season ahead. For the first time in years it feels like the excitement could be justified.

We haven’t on our last 4 opening games (D3, L1) which is a little worrying, but confidence is high and the team are buzzing at the moment. Avoid injuries and have a little luck with fixtures, and the league is ours.

Btw, does anyone out there still moan that Wenger can’t buy defenders!?

39. rhyle says:

Evening all…is there an Arsenal Arsenal fantasy PL league this year? Mind if I join if there is?

40. neamman says:

My Thought is the big surprise will be Sanogo.
    ps If there is an AA fantasy league let me join too

41. rhyle says:

Ignore my last…I’ve kinda rolled into it automatically…

We’ve made it

Match Day :-)

When’s your train Sir Michael?

Morning

Well finally we get going.mustn’t be too complacent with Palace without Pulis.

Hopefully wee put out the strongest team available.Diaby has been declared unfit and it will be interesting to see if Kos starts.

If he does and we are winning by at least two goals I suspect he will be subbed.Can’t see him not starting and then being brought on.

For those meeting up, I am extremely jealous. Enjoy.:)

Duck
    10’ish. Paddington 12:20 ‘ish. Meet kebab 3

Crystals
    I am very complacent. It will be a walkover :-)

Train !

Haven’t you got your own chopper by now.

By the way for those in charge,wordpress is playing up again.

I wonder how much it costs by chopper. Picked up and dropped off at Battersea. Damn that’d be cool.

2 hours 20 from Devon. Wow, that’s quick!

Looks like about £400 pp per hour. Mmm :-)

Picked up from home. 1 hr Battersea. I so need a special occasion :-)

Chas
    Need to allow hour and a half to get to station, park, collect tickets

51. chas mobile says:

Train from Nottingham is 1h 50m but it only takes 10 mins to station with a lift.

Chas
    Devon is a massive county (biggest in England I think). I drive to most easterly train station.
    Still, with drive, then tube to F Park, still 9 hr round trip

Having a bit of fun this morning preparing myself for the first PM of the season.

First off some juniper berries for inspiration then a warm mud massage from Mrs Raddy, followed by a steam up in the communal cave and then a few puffs on the pipe of meditation.

Finished off by a full English and a bucket of coffee.

Who knows what nonsense will flow from the keyboard :-)

It’s kind of why I get so effing pissed off with some home fans. The moaners, and then the ones who leave early :-(

If you’re not going to try and make the most of every minute of every day, then consider topping yourself, I say :-)

Anyway, moving swiftly on…. :-)

55. fatgingergooner says:

A bit last minute but I have set up a new Fantasy League on the Barclays Premier League website just for AAers.

The code you need is 2118197-551869

Would be great if loads could get involved just for a larf!

See if we can find out who are the Wenger’s and who are the Pulis’s!!!!

Right. Here’s the plan.

Sunny day. Off for a walk. Then to Paddington. Read the first BR PM of the season. Nip down to the Design Museum for an hour (never been), up to lunch with Peaches. Excellent so far. Then downhill for a bit, when we drift over to see what’s left of Chary, Ant ‘n Duck, then to watch Palace getting spanked in style.

Should be an okay day.

Micky – perfect plan!! But do you assume that Peaches is not going to be pissed?

FGG – can you provide more info? Where is it exactly?

Shit. Missed my train. Just getting ticket ref, and I booked 9’ish train. Ooops. They’ll never notice me slithering onto the 10 ‘ish.

59. chas mobile says:

Downhill! Bloody cheek.

60. chas mobile says:

Piss-up and brewery spring to mind. :)

61. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

It’s on the Barclays premier league website. Go to fantasy football, create your team, and then go to leagues, and join league and input that code!

Simples! :)

The only other exciting game could be West ham v scum

63. forfarfor says:

Are you on the Inter City space rocket Micky?

FGG. Thanks for setting up a league. I will pass on this as I am hopeless at such things but fine work

I wonder what is the truth about Khedira. AW says we have made no offer yet the press are convinced we want him.

He is not a proper DM so why do we need him?

66. New Saturday, New Season, New Post ……………………..

67. fatgingergooner says:

Told ya!!!

68. charlie says:

MickyDidIt89

“The combination of Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil and Sanchez is as good as any other in Europe when it comes to close control and super quick passing.”

I haven’t had a good laugh in sges, thanks.