Oi, Wenger, spend some money.

One day chicken, next day feathers; I trot this line out at times like this as it always seems to strike the right note.

On Saturday we were already dreaming of where in Islington we would be standing as the bus drove by with our players holding the EPL up high and just one day later we were wondering, more seriously than we had done for a while, just how likely the chances really are of signing Khedira.

Well, I was anyway, shallow moi? You just can’t have enough new toys; that’s what I say.

I actually think that that signing is far more likely than we are allowing ourselves to dream but anyway back to the game.

This is where I should say that is was only a friendly and we shouldn’t read too much into it but grrrrrr, I hate losing. I am sure Wenger learnt a lot from the two games and should be able to pick a formidable side to face City next week.

If Wenger wants to win that game rather than simply give players pitch time then Rosicky is surely a must start; he linked the defence with the attack and moved the play forward with a greater intensity than any other player was capable of yesterday. Rosicky also freed Ramsey up to burst forward with a far more effect against Benfica than he was able against Monaco.

I know it is wrong to start pointing fingers this early on; it was only a friendly as I made clear above – but we are Arsenal supporters and that is what we do. lol

Giroud – really?

I know things didn’t go exactly as planned against Monaco but we all know that amongst our squad we have a very good first team and the one thing we lacked last season: a fast, creative, goal scorer with great control has now been procured. Sanchez is going to give us everything we lacked up front last year and the EPL should be scared, very scared.

Ollie obviously still has a place, there will be teams that suit him more and he can be deployed when needed.

Wilshere?

I can’t, I shouldn’t; it really is too early for that one. All I would say is that I did notice a little boy in the middle of the park pointing at Jack while mouthing something about an emperor and not having any clothes on. OK I lied about it being too early.

Chambers seems more assured that Miguel which was a bit of a surprise to me, maybe, as GIE suggests, he should have gone out on loan earlier.

I was also surprised to read people disagreed with my comment that I expected Chambers to spend the same amount of time on the bench as Jenkinson did last season.

What? Is he going to play ahead of the BFG? No. Is he going to play ahead of Koscielny? No. Debuchy? No, so how is he going to play more than Jenkinson? Come on people, keep up.

Debuchy was almost anonymous yesterday which I liked; he did everything he was supposed to do and did it well, without fuss. And here’s the kicker, his crosses are so much better than Sagna’s, I know I am probably telling some the incredibly obviously equivalent of grass is green but it needs to be said.

So much for Wenger learning not to over use Ramsey, that man is going to work so hard that Welsh pit ponies will feel sorry for him.

And lastly, if you ever wondered why I don’t do match reports after we lose? Well now you know, I am a miserable git.

But this will all change next week after we beat City.

COYRRG

Written by LB

85 Responses to Oi, Wenger, spend some money.

1. Tin hats on guys ………… I hope people read the post and not just the title ……….. love a good title me ;)

Thank you LB.

2. Harry Barracuda says:

Can’t believe Wilshere still hasn’t grown up. His stupid foul that led to the goal shows only that he’s going to carry on picking up reckless cards and possibly yet more injuries.

The boy needs to learn (a) when to tackle and (b) how to time it. Otherwise it’s just going to be a repeat of last season.

3. gunnerpete says:

I don’t know about keep up sunshine…you are way behind the rest of us re; Chambers. We see him as a DMF cover….CB cover and even both fullbacks cover so he will play many more games than Jenks. Debuchy is already better than Sagna as we will see next week when the boss puts Alexis and Ox on Sagna. Now AW has to sell quickly the players we do not need and buy the 2/3 world class missing links. We must sell Coquelin, Flamini, Arteta, even Monreal and get in a Carvallo, a top class left sided CB to cover Gibbs and CB……finally perhaps a left winger with goals in him who can defend. If that happens then he will let Santi go.

4. ABEN says:

we need a confident striker deployment each time we play. why cant ee use proven stars such as Campbell, Akpom, Bellarin. it id not agr that matters but action on the pitch.

5. conk says:

Shut up shit article shit site

Hi Conk

It’s all about having a sense of humour.

Maybe you could write a headline post for the site, I for one would love to read more of your insightful way of thinking.

Gunnerpete

If Vermaelen goes, I expect him to be replaced with an equally experienced CB. Will Chambers get more games than Jenkinson then?

Or do you think that Chambers is going to be our main CB cover for the season? Hmmmm, really?

Come on Pete, keep up.

Aben

Thanks for our comment.

But……..

Akpom and Bellarin — proven stars? Really?

9. fatgingergooner says:

I’m still worried about Flamini and Arteta being our defensive midfield options. It is a key position based on our tactics ie the way we throw men forward, and Arteta and Flamini are not quite good enough to be first choice IMO.

There has been talk of Wilshere doing it but I’m not convinced he’s disciplined enough, or good enough in the tackle to play there.

Diaby cannot be trusted to complete 40 games a season (where was he this weekend?). In fact, at the moment, I’d prefer to see Chambers given a run in the Community Shield. He’s got the build for it and can get around the pitch.

Ideally though, we need a new player in there, as it’s our weakest link at the moment, yet such an important position.

And thus you see my point as to why the Khadira signing is probably more likely than we are allowing ourselves to believe.

Morning Slim.

goddamnit!! I have no time to read such good post properly :( Must leave it till later
    All I have noticed is a contradiction at the end – a doomer thinking we will beat ManCity on Sunday :)

12. Shard says:

Of our 5130 minutes last season, Sagna played nearly 4400, while Jenkinson played just over 1400. I am willing to bet Chambers will play more than that number.

Although that will depend to some extent on what the plan is regarding Bellerin. He does look like he can be a great attacking RB, and i reckon Chambers will play CB more often than RB. He will play ahead of the BFG sometimes, simply because even the friendly giant will need some rest. He was overplayed last season, and has had the World Cup too.

I know Wilshere is a pet grouse (famous grouse?) of yours LB but I think you judge him too harshly. Or maybe it is just that you expect too much from him. I don’t. I never bought into the Wilshere hype, and his injuries over the years mean that he’s where Ramsey was over 18 months ago. Doesn’t mean he’ll have the same impact this season as Ramsey did last. Just means that I accept his limitations and while he’s not great, he can still be a valuable squad member.

I’m not really worried about the game yesterday. In the first game we played kids eager to impress, who had had a proper pre season and had played together before. We played the more senior players against Monaco. Some were not ready physically and/or were adjusting to their teammates. Our goal came from the lack of understanding in defense, but even so, the run out will have helped Debuchy and Alexis get used to their teammates while the minutes under their belt will help the likes of Giroud and Santi.

The Flamini tackle which earned him a yellow card yesterday was fantastic. Can’t have the opposition player put his foot on the ball and show off/waste time. TAKE THAT! I love it and shows why we need someone like Flamini in the squad.

Well I liked your Post, LB. :-)

Actually, I sort of thought something similar to you until I read a report of Wenger’s press conference.

I pinched the quote to show on AA.

Arsene Wenger has denied Arsenal require another defensive midfielder to fight for trophies this season.

The Arsenal boss has boosted his squad with the signings of Alexis Sanchez, Mathieu Debuchy, David Ospina and Calum Chambers but has remained coy on talk of a move for Real Madrid’s midfielder Sami Khedira.

[Khedira) The Germany international, who recently won the World Cup alongside Gunners Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski and Mezut Özil is available having fallen down the pecking order at los Blancos.

However, Wenger has denied his squad needs bolstering with a specialist defensive midfielder.

“We have Flamini who can play there. Last season we played with Arteta and Ramsey there in many games in that position,” said Wenger.

It has been suggested Jack Wilshere could fall back into a more defensive role to fill the void and that could also accommodate Arsenal’s vast array of attacking players.

Wenger was quick to deny Wilshere moving back: “No because we only play with one holding midfielder. Arteta was there today (against Monaco) with Wilshere and Ramsey pushing on. He needs games, we have seen that again today.”

The Arsenal boss also insisted the England international needs more playing time before finding top form again after a period of injury setbacks.

“Jack is getting better, his ankle is good now but he needs games. At the top top level you need presence, consistent presence. Today you can’t come back after just three weeks of rest and be sharp,”

The impression elsewhere seems to be that Chambers will rotate with Flamini and Arteta in the holding midfielder role.

In addition he said after the game he would be looking at one maybe two players in defense, so perhaps a CB and another LB.

Wenger is too cute to give much away, but he does seem to have ruled out a DMF, even denying Wilshire will play there. (Jack was pretty average yesterday).

14. Shard says:

RA

Wenger says we don’t need a specialist Defensive midfielder.

Khedira is no specialist defensive midfielder.

We’re signing Khedira for sure! :)

15. Fredy XVI says:

Arsene Wenger will never change as longer as he believe he own Arsenal Footbakl Club .The Fans winning come second to his pay package and bonuses.
    Saying that , Arsene Wenger knows that most of Fans are happy what ever the result on the pitch to stick with him .”In Arsene we trust”
    Arsenal we all know it need at least 2 Patrick Viera or a Ahmadou Diarra type of defensive midfielders and one good versatile central, full back defender.
    Does players will cost money and good will to get them but as we all know that the money is there but the good will isn’t.
    My gut still tell me that Arsene Wenger will not buy again.He will play with the fans with false promises until the window closes.
    ! Prediction: AFC WILL FINISH 4th

Lovely stuff LB. I didn’t get to see the game unfortunately so can’t comment on individual performances. It is clear that Jack is struggling to find himself as a player and his place in the team (I imagine AW is also struggling with these).

It is typical of the boss to offer words of support to players when they need a lift, and he has said good things about Jack recently. At the moment Jack wouldn’t make my starting 11 and maybe not even the bench – but in that way he will never develop so we have a problem.

Giroud is a good player who maximises his assets, but no one can tell me that he wouldn’t be a better player if he had more pace – therefore he is not the complete striker but an important piece in the jigsaw.

I had hoped that the signing of Sanchez meant we could play with a different type of strikeforce (particularly when Theo’s back) and adopt a false No.9 with Giroud on the bench ready to come on if need be …… we’ll have to see on that one.

Khedira, yes please, you bet, 100%, we want him …. will it happen?

17. Shard says:

Fredy XVI

The criticisms of Arsene Wenger always seem to be a few years behind the curve. We also know that whatever the results on and off the pitch, these criticisms will continue. These washed up critics won’t change unless they get their sense of entitlement and importance in check, and learn the difference between video game ‘tactics’ and actual football. We’ll never progress as a club unless we get in a clique of world class critics and I protest against this delay on the part of the club to find such people immediately. Totally unprofessional. I mean they should be funding such purveyors of wisdom out of Wenger’s pay packet and bonuses, instead of making them pay for tickets and merchandise. Not doing this is what causes such entitlement in the first place.

18. 26may1989 says:

Well done, LB. I can’t say I had the chance to focus on the game too well, I was having to watch it in the sports bar at a Center Parcs. (It was my first time in the sanitised, vaguely outdoorsy but never hazardous world of Center Parcs – not sure I would recommend it, but at least there was access to football.)

From what I could see, none of our lot played that well – all looked very disjointed and lethargic. Kos, Giroud, Cazorla and Arteta looked off the pace, even more so Monreal. Of course, we should’ve had a penalty (Akpom was good, I thought) but Wenger was right to say Monaco were much brighter, sharper and more physically ready than we were, and they deserved the win. I did like what I saw of Chambers and Sanchez, though I thought a couple of Debuchy’s decisions were worryingly rash. I know Chambers was out of position for the goal, but that’s all to do with defenders getting used to each – it’ll come with time – and he played well in other respects.

You’re right, Wenger will have learned a lot from the game, and perhaps the defeat is the ideal outcome, since it will show the players that they have plenty of work to do in the next two weeks to get ready for the Palace game. Monaco showed us just how much intensity we need to build in our game in order to be competitive – that was more useful than the gimme we got from Benfica.

As for Giroud’s role in our ideal starting XI, I would predict he would be there, with Sanchez and Walcott playing the inside-forward roles. I am also sure we will see games where Sanchez is the lone forward, and some where we play a 442 with combinations of Giroud, Sanchez, Campbell and Sanogo up front. That’s the magic of Sanchez’s signing: options and versatility. That’ll be a valuable commodity this season.

By the way LB, I used the weekend to christen my new bike (a Planet X Ultegra carbon) with a 100 mile ride on Friday to the (not so) lovely Center Parcs. Was great, except for the last bit, up a stretch of the A11.

19. fatgingergooner says:

Are there still people out there banging on about Wengers pay and how he doesn’t spend money!?

We’ve spent £100m on 5 players in 2 seasons!

20. 26may1989 says:

Hi Shard

Funny isn’t it, how we can all see the same thing in such different ways. I thought Flamini’s effort at the end was an excellent example of why he has no long-term future in our squad: a petulant, vengeful, pointless piece of aggression, that served to do nothing other than waste more time, confirm possession for the opponent, earn a yellow card and show to everyone present that Monaco had bossed the game.

But hey, that’s just me!

21. Shard says:

haha 26m. That’s true indeed.

I think a few years ago I would have thought the same. But I am sick of Arsenal being bullied because we play nice and within the rules. I don’t mind having a bruiser in there to go beyond the line of niceness, even legality, anymore. In fact I welcome it. Kick out and kick out before they do and we might not get any more of the Ramsey-Shawcross type injuries.

Of course there is still a line there and it is up to the player to walk on the brink. Flamini isn’t the best at that as shown by the red card against Southampton last year. But I’d rather have a vengeful aggressive barsteward on our side to act as the team’s ‘enforcer’ than rely on the referee.

I also don’t mean that just in terms of us getting kicked. If Flamini puts in a proper tackle there he could still get called for a foul if the player decides to just fall over. Which does happen very often. As long as it’s not a dangerous challenge, I think a hard challenge is better. Unless you can win the ball back with a Per type stab. Aggressiveness is no substitute for good technique. But it does have its place.

For the first time in ages, after having penned a post, I bothered sitting in front of my computer for a couple of hours — and what was the intellectual stimulation I was rewarded with?

“Shut up shit article shit site”

I go out for an hour and all the big hitters come out.

There are some very good assessments of the game up there.

160k to christen your bike………..impressive.

Last week was a bit of a monster for me 540k. I was training for the Ride London-Surrey 160k this weekend. Closed roads truly are what cyclists dreams are made of.

23. 26may1989 says:

I really loved the ride, LB – it was more than I should have taken on really, but when I realised I could just say to the family “See you there” by setting off at 6am, I couldn’t resist it. Well worth it. Hope you enjoy the Surrey ride too.

24. arnie says:

brilliant, absolutely brilliant post, LB. :) :) I cannot honestly say I disagree with that much of what you wrote. Brilliant job. But for whatever it is worth, here are a few disjointed thoughts. :razz:

First, trolls. Have you not had enough earthworms to munch on during the warm summer months. yes, we expect you gits to creep out but only in the new year. shut up and feck off! :razz:

Second, Wilshere. Yes he is rusty. What do you expect? Not enough action in Brazil, an undeserving holiday afterwards, poor company on the holiday, on return a nice kick on the arse from Le Prof, the list can go on. Not even mentioning misplaced acts of defiance, I mean smoking, rebel without a cause? Don Quixote?

Anyway, the fault was not his, IMO. It is with our defensive formation. We do not need and should not encourage ill-trained amateurs like Jack and the Ox to defend. That is a sure recipe for disaster. And BTW, there goes the idea of Jack as a DMF out of the window as well, I am afraid. At least for now. He has to work hard and fight for his place in the team.

But certainly the lesson is that, defence is for specialists!

Third, regarding Khedira and all that. Maybe I am in the minority, but a fading and ageing star is not my idea of a super signing. Much prefer someone like the young Portuguese, Carvalho. I am not complaining though. Khedira will be better than no new toy. We are spoilt kids, Arsene, we want more. And we want to throw some out of the pram as well. :razz:

Fourth, showing some promise was good, and losing the Mickey Mouse Cup is better still. No false sense of security. We want to win the important ones, the Community Shield first, then CL qualification, and then focus on the EPL. Good work out, good sense of team for Arsene, plenty of work to do. Time to work hard.

COYG. :) :) :) :)

25. LBG says:

Shard 12.10 – Love it! Highest form of response for lowest form of dimwit. And as for Monsieur Conk……..sacre bleu!

LB well done

Post match reviews or reports are always met with different opinions as to how others see the game,some subjective others not.

As I said earlier I would like to look at both games, the good,the bad and the ugly and will write about it in due course.

By the way my road is shut for your race next weekend so I will be looking out for you :)

RA,
    never believe what Wenger says,you should know that by now :)

27. RC78 says:

Bit annoyed about the home loss and the poor show of form and sharpness in the game but again, we shold not read too much into it…

As it stands, our first XI would be:

Szecesny – Deb, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Arteta – Ozil – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez

and our back-up squad would be:
    Ospina – Chambers, Miquel, Vermaelen, Monreal – Rosicky, Flamini, Wilshere – Ox, Poldi, Cazorla

We clearly need some back up in central defense but for the rest we are covered since we would still have Geladion, Gnabry and Sanogo on the bench

28. RC78 says:

So who should we get in defense, that is the question…?

If Vermaelen leaves, then we are really thin…Why not make a move for Agger or Skrtl plus another young promising central defender?

29. RC78 says:

Maybe Balanta or Papadopoulos…

30. chás says:

Cheers, LB.
    As for some, school holidays, enough said.

I liked the performances of some of our youngsters and thought we had by far the better of the 2nd half against a side who’ll do ok in the CL this season. Also, it was really 1-1 with that pen, wasn’t it?

Khedira would be nice as an extra squad player. :)

That’s a really good and well thougt out assessment LB.

Those “supporters” or media “experts” making judgements on players after a few games are simply ridiculous! Do they really expect players to be match fit in pre-season? What the F.

Nice to see you back again Rasp,

I hope you have enjoyed your summer break and that you are fit and ready to keep us in order during the coming season?

Hi GN5, thanks. I’m still struggling a bit with over-committing myself to too many projects but hope to be back in the swing of things by the start of the season – or shortly after.

Maybe Carvalho is the better option to Khedira?

35. Shard @12:48 pm

“Aggressiveness is no substitute for good technique. But it does have its place.”

Shard I think the best is a combination of both, a good technical tackle has to have some aggressiveness involved.

oh and by the way. LB, good write up. Shame we’ve only had two matches to start making judgements on the team and players. I’m a firm believer that the Community Shield is an important match, and we at Arsenal haven’t had that opportunity for a long while. I hope AW ad the team take it seriously because it would be a shame to start the season off with losing against City.

36. Shard says:

NB

I don’t see anything overly wrong with that tackle. I like that Flamini is the type who will go through a player if he feels the opponent is getting too cocky or even comfortable. It was Flamini who finally tackled (cleanly that time) Nani just after his ‘seal dribble’ against us. (yes it was that long ago.)

I think we’ve missed that a bit, especially because the standard of refereeing in England is poor and even seems to necessitate a little ‘violence’.

NB,

Given that it’s only a week before the Pl kick off I also think of the charity shield as a barometer of the coming season. However given that we will be missing at least 3 key players due to the WC so it’s more difficult to assess our complete potential for 2014/15.

My hope is that we have enough depth to cover for the missing players at the start of the season.

We have won 12 “Shields” in 19 appearances and are 3rd behind Man U (20) and Liverpool (15).

38. Shard says:

I’m a little torn about whether to consider the Shield as a trophy or as a preseason fixture. I’m leaning towards the latter I think.

In a normal year I’d be more fired up for it, but I think Arsenal are probably the most affected from the World Cup, that this is a short pre-season and that we don’t seem at full fitness yet, I’d rather lose the Shield than risk injury to players simply to win. The league is definitely more important and I’d rather Giroud, Santi, Arteta etc. are ready for that than pushing themselves too far for this ‘trophy’.

39. fatgingergooner says:

Afobe gone to MK Dons on loan.

I’m struggling to see a place for him at Arsenal. He hasn’t really done anything when out on loan and looks like he’s fallen behind Akpom, Sanogo and Campbell.

Can’t see him lasting much longer at AFC.

40. fatgingergooner says:

I would rather us beat City for confidence and momentum, rather than the Shield itself.

It would give the lads a massive boost, even if both teams will be way off full strength.

41. Shard says:

fgg

Same here. That is actually why I’m torn about this.. But still. No Per, No Ozil, and Cazorla and Giroud both looking a little tired. Debuchy new. Alexis new. I don’t know, I think it might just be a bit too early for us.

Based on the preseason, I’d like to see Flamini-Ramsey and Rosicky in midfield, with Ox/Alexis, Campbell and Sanogo up front. Cazorla, Giroud, Wilshere, Arteta to be the subs.

Of course there is a full week till then so those players might be more match ready then. And who knows, maybe we sign somebody this week too.

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Good post LB.
    Yes we lost, and a few mistakes were made, and we don’t like losing that’s nothing unusual, Whether its a friendly, League game or cup game we still want our guys to finish winners.

I think its important to remember, that Wenger is still tinkering about with who he has. We know about the guys who played last season, and we also know the new guys have to be fed in slowly, that is only sensible.

The Emirates cup is a warm up competition, it alows players to tast European play, Chambers i feel will be used quite a lot, as i feel he is very talented, multi positional and lets face it we have one of the worst injury records, Yes chambers will definitely be used more than Jenks.

Wenger has brought in a new right back in Debuchey, from what i have seen of him so far, he looks quite handy, When some supporters say he is already better than Sagna, i feel that 2 games is not enough time to judge that yet, as Sagna was quality.

Jenks will be playing his football at West Ham this season, so that tells you that Wenger does not feel he is good enough for our first team just yet, but although he has picked up an injury in his first game, he will have plenty of time to learn about defending as he will be very busy next season.

Still to early to criticise the players to much, but we know that Jack is a weak link at present, and i dont think he will change that much in the future, Wenger may try him in different positions, that will only suggest to me that he is becoming a bit of a problem.

Paul Scholles was right about Jack, he hasn’t moved forward , and this season may tell us where Jacks next move may finally be. Jack yearns to be Arsenals Captain, i feel he should concentrate more on finding his form and best position and be able to keep it..

Wenger has said that Sanogo and Campbell will both be playing here next season so a forward will not be coming. Chambers Wenger has said is a good tactition he is a thinking mans player and has football intelligence, Wenger will encourage that and Jack will move on, as he is stagnating with us. Santi as well i don’t see a future for him either but for the moment he stays as well Tommy V wants first team football, he is quality but he will probably also move on, when a carthorse is picked before you for most of the season, means you wont be getting much playing time at all, and now the intelligent Chambers is the apple of Wenger’s eye, sounds to me like buy bye Tommy.

Wenger’s building, and players will have to go, if you didn’t figure last season the chances of figuring this season is pretty slim and with 4 in only spells doom for a few.

43. Shard says:

steve

I think you are being too quick in writing off Wilshere. Yes he may never be great, but he’s with us on a long term contract, and the only way he’ll go is if someone is willing to pay us 25m for him (homegrown tax). I don’t think anyone will do that, and even then the ‘selling to a rival’ thing will rear its head.

Sorry not around LB

Went for a quick two hour surf at ten this morning, and here we are.

Anyway, terrific read, and guess what, I agree with everything.

One of the great things about the weekend was the fact that players like Bellerin, Joel, Sanogo and Chambers will provide genuine competition, and slightly stale performances like we saw from one or two more senior players will worry them.

When Peaches said “tin hats on”, I thought “no, not necessary”. Thing is your post simply echoes the kind of conversation any mature gunner would have down the boozer. Nothing rude, just educated opinions. Bravo.

I’m now pushed for time, so may be forced to put my defensive midfield thoughts into a post. Damn.

45. Shard @5:57pm

I didn’t see anything wrong with that tackle either. went for the ball, follow through took the player that’s normal. Dirar? made the most of it though. I think the tackle was made more out of frustration than anything else. Monreal had it covered.

46. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Shard, sorry mate watering the garden, I have to say shard my opinion is not just off the cuff mate and certainly not based on recent games, Jack has shown me that he just doesn’t seem capable of battling his way through, i see him more as a player looking to go down, and at best win free kicks which i don’t think helps us at all.

Every time jack goes down i hold my breath, i know how fragile he has been over the years, and injury is just one tackle away. and the way he plays encourages a clumsy foul.

One headed goal in all the time he has been with us and other goals you can count on one hand tells me he is not doing enough. I don’t care if he smokes 4 pkts a day as long as he does the business on the park, but his play i don’t feel helps us that much,

Jack usually goes down a long way before the box, and he goes down so often i thought he was training to be an agronomis ( spelt that wrong) where’s Peaches when you need her.

Just read the post, brilliant, thanks LB.
    “Welsh pit ponies will feel sorry for” Ramsey :)

I noticed Debuchy’s silent input, nice one, that’s exactly what a good defender should be. I like him. Give Wilshere a break, he is going to be great, wait and see. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought that you don’t particularly like our Jack

I am surprised you didn’t mention Santi, for me he was outstanding, best player on the pitch last weekend.

Like I said before – a miserable git expecting to win at Wembley, nice one :)

48. 26may1989 says:

Going for, or even getting, the ball are not relevant in determining whether there’s a foul. If a player makes a challenge carelessly, recklessly or using excessive force, it’s a foul, regardless of touching the ball or not. As a pro, Flamini knows that, which is why he didn’t dispute either the free-kick or the yellow card. It didn’t matter yesterday, but in a game that does matter, it’s the team that ultimately suffers. Flamini has a self-control problem, which is why he was the most regularly booked player in the PL last season.

Not happy at all

Weather gone to shit down here, including this weekend, when we have a Birthday night surf weekend camp planned :-(

Centre Parks ROLF. Is it like those big camp/caravan park places where they have a butlins style entertainer, because I bet you sat there thinking “I used to go see The Clash, now look at me”

I did. Once.

Morning

What would you like me to doom about.At least you won’t have to wear your rose tinted glasses Micky :)

Shard,
    Very impressed with the minutes played by Sagna but you are wrong as you forgot to add in additional time added on in all matches.Must do better :)

Kelsey – I didn’t thank you for the offer of a post for today, are you still providing one pretty please ;)

Morning peaches

Owing to unforseen circumstances I haven’t finished it yet so tomorrow would be better.

Reading around the blogs main topic by our fans in no particular order are

Arteta/Flamini=could or should we buy better

Wilshere= a defining season for him

Giroud= what is his best function in the side as he will never be a true centre forward .

If vermaelen leaves which looks more and more probable will we get a quality replacement before the 31st.

55. Shard says:

kelsey

Morning. :)

Those minutes played do ignore the added time indeed. This is because I compiled the data myself match by match once the season was nearing the end and couldn’t find accurate ways of then averaging out per match numbers etc between different clubs.

I had intended to send in an article about it but it is too late now. New season, who cares about the last one beyond the Fa Cup win? :)

56. 26may1989 says:

Micky, you’re a bastard. Mostly because you’re right…..

57. Shard says:

steve, nb and 26m

I don’t agree with criticism of Wilshere spending time on the floor. He is among the most fouled players in the league, and that is when referees only call about a third of the fouls he actually faces. His injury problems might also make him more wary than just getting up immediately.

His style might encourage that tackle, but surely that is his function. To get past players or get free kicks. It is also up to the referee to cut out the rotational fouling and protect the player. That he doesn’t get that protection is a surprising failure of the English game considering his nationality. But not surprising if you consider the shirt he wears.

And this is where Flamini comes in. I actually agree with 26m that that was a foul and a definite yellow. But it was not a dangerous/leg breaking tackle. I also thought Flamini was foolish and cost us against Southampton last season when he got sent off.

Flamini actually gets booked more often than players from other teams do in relation to fouls per game. You could argue that it is because he puts in a higher percentage of stupid challenges, but I don’t think that is so. All the same, I think Arsenal need someone like that in the squad (not necessarily Flamini himself long term) who, in the absence of the referee doing his job properly, will step up to keep the game from being battered away from Arsenal. Someone who will not take being bullied or shown up, and will accept the punishment that comes from his role. Flamini isn’t the best at that as he does seem to have a problem staying beneath the radar. But he is the best we’ve got at it right now, and also, sometimes an overtly aggressive, visible stance can help the team, not just cost it.

Peaches

I’ll do something. There’s a threat :-)

59. Oooooh lovely, thanks micky :)

is it about Giroud,Micky :)

no Kelsey, it’s about surfing

Well I’ve sent words anyway

No Kelsey it’s not about Ollie.

The new didit has adopted a more ruthless gloves off approach. No more Mr Nice Guy :-)

Ollie would not be a lone striker first choice starter in any top ten team, and we’re aspiring Champions.

64. 26may1989 says:

Hi Shard

I agree with you, that every team benefits from having someone with a nasty side, to look after the Ozils and Pireses, but I just don’t think Flamini is that player. If I think of Keown, Vieira or Lauren, or going further back, someone like Willie Young, Frank McLintock or Peter Nicholas, I can see a properly hard quality that is useful. But Flamini just isn’t hard enough, his fouls are either pointless or are done to make up for his technical deficiencies .

Anyway, that’s the way I see it. But then I’ve never had much time for Flamini!

Flamini is guaranteed to get more yellow and possible red cards than any other player in our squad therefore to an extent he is a liability and isn’t getting any younger.

66. Shard says:

26m

” Flamini isn’t the best at that……But he is the best we’ve got at it right now”

So I guess we agree…mostly :)

67. Shard says:

Doomsday! The world is coming to an end! Usmanov actually saying nice things about Arsenal (although there is a degree of revisionism about his past statements in there)

Something for the guys and gals to cheer you up in the absence of football :P …. I’ll leave this on for just long enough to be told off by anyone PC then it goes :?

69. Norfolk Gooner says:

Shard, that’s a bit unfair, Usmanov has always been a massive supporter of Arsenal and Arsene. It was the board of directors that he couldn’t get on with and was rightly critical of.

It would be no bad thing if a thawing of relations between him and Kroenke could be brought about.

They both state that they are in it for the long term and are looking to their family’s interests for another generation.

Rasp

So pleased your workload hasn’t kept you from important internet business :-)

Hope you’re well.

aha, Rasputin is back! And why were you away for so long?

Morning Micky, I’m good thanks, the youtube clip was sent to me by a work colleague (grounds for dismissal?) so not much surfing required :lol:

Hi peaches, were you offended by the kittens :P …. was that my instruction to push the delete button?

73. Shard says:

26m

I don’t know what you mean by unfair. Yes, he’s always maintained that Wenger is a good manager, and yes he has had issues with the board and so understandably wouldn’t be warm towards them. But a ‘supporter’ would not have released the opportunistic open letter in the wake of RVP’s declaration of independence.

Till date Usmanov has also never mentioned financing anything (apart from buying more shares from a rights issue) from his own pocket. In fact he refused to do so. In the same open letter he criticised the club’s policy but mentioned the same things they did (and have now achieved) about commercial growth. He made oblique references to FFP in the past when asked if he’d spend from his pocket to buy Messi (as an example)

Now that the FFP is a reality and the stadium is already built and (mostly) paid for, he comes up with a ‘I could have been a savior all along’ line. Where was this plan earlier?

All said and done, I am glad his presence means kroenke doesn’t own 100% of the club. However, I trust him less than I trust Kroenke and I like him even less for the way he has conducted himself. I also have reservations over Moshiri (50% stakeholder in R&W) who really is like a ghost in terms of how little seems to be known about him.

Only back part-time Eddie ……. Hapgood?

Peaches

In case you wanted my pc view on Rasp’s contribution, then I can confirm I’m ok with it. Yes, I struggled, but in line with my FREEDOM FOR WOMEN views, then I must let it go.

It’s not easy being me. Riddled with conflicts I am.

76. Got a New Post everyone ……………………

77. Celinda says:

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old
    daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had
    to tell someone!

78. Margaret says:

Every weekend i used to go to see this site, because i wish for enjoyment, since this
    this site conations in fact good funny information too.