Arsenal 5 Benfica 1- a great afternoon’s entertainment

Well, what a great afternoon’s entertainment that was?

Plenty of new players to see for the first time, confirmation that others are moving in the direction we hoped for — and goals!

Lot’s of goals. I know the expression goes “from the sublime to the ridiculous”, well somehow Sanogo has managed to go from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Once again he started the game with all the control of a puppy with a beach ball but somehow turned this around to bag himself four goals.

And what’s more we discovered that he is a good dancer, there were some great moves going on as he celebrated his goals; well, almost, all except the last goal when he ran to the fans to do his celebration dance and some how managed to trip over his feet. Everyone howled with laugher in the pub and the inevitable thought of “from the sublime to the ridiculous” returned.

Sanogo

The thing I like about him above all is how he always plays with a smile on his face; he is very, very confident, and yet somehow he manages to carry this off without a hint of arrogance. There never seems a moment when things start to get him down — miss a sitter, no probs I’ll get the next one. The only thing that was completely unexpected was that this time he did get the next one and the one after and the one after that, four times in all.

He seemed to have some kind of injury towards the end and to my absolute surprise I actually cared. Well done Yaya more of the same please.

Around this time in the pre-season I think that most of us usually have a good idea of what is going to happen as regards to players in and players out; well, normally but yesterday when the team was announced along with the subs I realised I still haven’t got a clue who will be with us at the start of the season. There still seem so many possibilities for players to be sold or go out on loan.

It was good to see Campbell in the glorious red and white at last, he took his goal well. The problem is that he, Ozil, Walcott, Sanchez, Ox and Gnabry all play out on the right, I know it is possible to make the case that some of them can play in other positions as well but there is no hiding the fact that that position is a little over crowded and at least one must surely depart?

The other position around which we can surely expect change is the central defence: Monreal as a CB – really? Vermaelen is obviously shopping around, where was Diaby today and I for one will not rule out Khadira’s arrival until the shutters are firmly down on this transfer market. See what I mean there are still so many more possibilities for change.

I expect to see Callum Chambers on the bench or playing as much as Jenkinson did so last season. He had a very reassured debut and I certainly agree with GIE that he is CB in waiting, a position that requires far more skill and maturity than a right back.

Everyone else played their part well: Rosicky appeared sharp as did the Ox. And finally we got to see the player we had all been waiting for: Alexis Sanchez. While just sitting on the bench the man projected an image of being a “star in waiting” and the Chilean certainly didn’t disappoint when he came on; the man oozed class. But the stand out player of the afternoon was, of course, Ramsey, what a power house we have in the still young Welshman. Go Rambo.

A very happy afternoon, onwards and upwards.

Written by LB

155 Responses to Arsenal 5 Benfica 1- a great afternoon’s entertainment

LB

I won’t be finding a more enjoyable read in the Sunday Papers, so thanks for the ideal start to the day.

Best thing is we get to do it all over again this afternoon

Naturally, LB, I disagree with your assumption that everyone’s preferred position is “out on the right”, because I know that this season Arsene is only going to pretend to do some tedious 4-3-3, 4-1-2-3, 4-2-1-3 or whatever tactics bollocks, whereas in reality all his pretend systems will merge seamlessly into the far more elegant 2-3-5 :-)

Thank you for the post LB. It certainly was a very enjoyable game to watch and I think that’s what pre-season games should be about. Too often, our Emirates cup games have been dire affairs but this was good fun.

Hope today’s is as much fun.

4. Here’s the goals again ……………

po.st/de7GVi

Look away evonne ;)

5. Sorry it didn’t come up as a link, I’ll try again ……………

6. gunnerpete says:

I was there and agree with most of your points but Chambers to start on the bench? After what I saw I would say we have the perfect DMF right now and a classy CB if needed. With Debuchy and the brilliant Bellerin we have class at right back. I am only concerned now with left back as Monreal is not quite as good as we first thought. Those to be sold (in my opinion) Flamini, Arteta, Possibly Carzola (only if he wants to) Miqel.

I liked Martinez and Akpom both looked the part……..and of course Alexis blimey he was like an explosion of class. We are on the way alright.

I love the fact that SKY , BBC, ITV are all drooling over the Northern crap Manure and Liddypill…..I cant wait to get them both with a full squad for a change.

7. gunnerpete says:

Sorry I missed out Vermy to be sold and to praise Rosicky for his brilliant game.

A very good analysis LB but I think as does pete that Chambers will start a lot more than you may think.

yes LB – Aaron was outstanding, what a player!
    Sanchez oozes class and confidence. I just hope he is not going to try to impress too much fecking about with the ball to show off his skills. A straight shot on target will do me fine.

Thanks for this happy post; looking forward to many to follow

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, well done LB, a fine summing-up.

Don’t you just love the numpty commentators? “Sanogo is unstoppable” a fraction of a second after he’d scored and a fraction of a second before he tripped over his own feet. Priceless! :D

Chambers looked calm and purposeful and every inch a centre-back, I think we have a star in the making.

I was totally surprised by Hector Bellerin, he looked terrific going forward, good pace, good ball control and not afraid to take players on, he didn’t have a lot to do defensively so we shall have to wait and see on that aspect of his game.

Ramsey? Magnificent just magnificent.

And Alexis? I just can’t wait to see him an tandem with Ozil.

The ghosts of the thirties have well and truly woken up!

11. mogooner says:

Many positives from the game, and none more surprising than Bellerin. Sanogo, Chambers, Campbell and Ramsey contributions were v.good but not unexpected. Sanogo showed some excellent bits of form last season and it was only a matter of time before he made that step forward, a first goal that every up and coming striker needs. Just like a young Anelka when he first came to Arsenal, took ages to get his first goal, and then there was no looking back. Bellerin showed his potential and that he is knocking on the door!

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Looking at the squad as it is right now and knowing Wenger is still in the hunt for more new signings, doubts must be growing over the future of Jack Wilshere.

Persistent injuries have taken their toll on him and his own bad publicity is not helping. At present I don’t think he is an automatic choice for a starting place in the first team. Will he be happy on the bench? Would an overseas loan spell be a good idea?

On the England front, Gerrard’s retirement leaves a gaping hole in the midfield, if Wilshere wants to fill that hole he needs to be playing regularly and at the top of his form for Arsenal, not as a bit part player in the cups and in the last thirty minutes of league games.

13. gusmcmanus says:

terry mancini those ghosts are stirring.

14. chás says:

Cheers, LB.
    A very enjoyable summary to match the very enjoyable afternoon.

With regard to the right flank position, it seems to be that we have lots and lots of options whichever of the front 5 positions you think about. Only Theo is an out-and-out right winger and even he can play more centrally as he did against the spuds in the Cup. A healthy situation indeed.

I’m hoping to see Diaby, Gnabry and Zelalem this afternoon, that’s without the World Cup Winners strengthening the squad further. :)

15. chás says:

My team for this arvo….

Szcz
    Debuchy Kos Miquel Chambers
    Wilshere Diaby Arteta
    Gnabry Alexis The Ox

I have just been sitting here for the last ten minutes just looking at the team to play this afternoon.

It really makes you think.

I love it.

“A great afternoon’s work”.

“A great afternoon’s entertainment”.

A bit of a clash, no?

You just can’t get the staff these days :roll:

18. While you’re there, I was dead impressed you put your own photo in :)

It took ages but I got there in the end.

How do you do rolling eye smiley face?

20. The smiley’s have changed so I don’t think it looks the same now, it used to be : roll : :roll:

21. It’s still got a slight roll but the eyes used to move I thought :roll:

22. Are you going to Finsbury Pk to watch the game?

No, for these kind of games I stay very local. There is an excellent sports bar on the corner of Marlebone Station.

For the more obscure games, like Wigan v Arsenal I still go to the 12 Pins as they always show them even if you have to suffer the commentary in Albanian.

My Albanian is getting quite good now though lol.

24. chás says:

ju shkoni Gunners

25. chás says:

peaches
    Any plans for my Cup Final post (photos included :) )?

26. Team news

27. WOW Alexis Ramsey Cazorla Giroud!!!!!!!!

28. Hi chas – how about next Saturday as ‘we’re off to Wemberley’ again on Sunday?

29. chás says:

I got 7 out of 11!
    Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey and Giroud are 4 fine extras. :)

30. chás says:

Perfect, peaches.

31. chás says:

Is anyone going to the Community Shield, as a matter of interest?
    We always think of it as a friendly not worth the effort, much as the Emirates Cup is. Let some youngsters go, especially 3 new female Gooners seeing their first match!

Train tickets for Palace booked and tickets for Everton away secured. Possible tickets for Leicester away on sale Friday.
    Eeeeeeeeeee, I’m getting excited.

32. Lots of lovely pictures on twitter of Arsenal signing Thierry, 15 years ago today.

33. chás says:

So BT Sport are banging on about Benfica having no confidence, hence the Valencia victory.
    That wasn’t what they were saying before we pulled the rug from under their confidence by going 4-0 up at half-time yesterday. :)

34. chás says:
  35. chás says:

36. chás says:

37. chás says:
  38. chás says:
  39. chás says:

I just turned my Arsenal calendar over to August and it has Rambo and Santi on it. We can’t sell him surely?

40. chás says:

Where is everyone?
    I bet Raddy has some jos sticks lit and a circle of hippies chanting ‘Oooooooooommmmmmmm’ for an Arsenal victory.

41. chás says:

Oh no, Michael chuffin Owen. Might have to look for some Albanian commentary. :)

42. Not much growing room in Giroud’s shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. chás says:

I was just thinking I’ll have to work on my 6-pack if I’m going to buy that shirt.

I’m here by the way.

This Monaco side will be a different kettle of fish to Benfica.
    If I said Giroud was playing shite he most probably will score :)

No Chas
    Raddy drinks at lunch then goes for a lie down in his tipi and makes slow luuuurv

Who the hell are Wiltshire and Giroood

on paper we are starting with a much more experienced side than yesterday,let’s see how it pans out. Very interesting for AW to access.

48. chás says:

Mmmmmmmm, teepee lurvvvvvv.

Fine, as long as your central pole is suitably erected.

49. chás says:

Giroud is just pretending he’s shite to lull Monaco into a false sense of security before he scores just before half-time.

50. chás says:

Chambers looks as though he’s come through the Arsenal academy.

51. Disappointing defending there boys ……….. :(

Oh of course chas,that’s why we let one in from yet another set piece.

Agree about Chambers though

Chas
    Oscar has another word for Ollie and the faking hurt and It’s not terribly pc

54. chás says:

3-1 to us?

Even though it’s a friendly a pretty poor performance so far but as I said earlier , Monaco are a far better side than Benfica.

8-2 chances in favour of Monaco.

AW has to adjust the team get a better balance.The young guns looked a lot hungrier yesterday,

56. arnie says:

ok, knot ear for a while, apols in order. a bit under the weather actually. :sad:

lovely pre-match Micky, and a sufficiently upbeat match report LB. And the vid from Chas, pure gold. :)

That is the good news. But, a set piece, again! oh dear! COYG.

Yes, 3-1 will be nice. :)

57. chás says:

I thought it was pretty good, kelsey.
    Monaco weren’t in it until the set-piece fiasco with Kos playing offside and Chambers still in Saints mode.
    Since then they’ve grown in confidence, that’s all.
    Glass half full, as always, after all it’s only a poxy friendly.

Of course it’s a friendly but Monreal,Santi,Wilshere and Giroud especially look out of sorts.

I can only comment on what I see :)

Reckon Joel will be thinking “they miss me”
    At least he should, and that’s good news.

Ox and for Ollie. Great news, Alexis through the midddle?

Ox ON for…

I think Wilshere has given up smoking and taken to grass ;)

63. arnie says:

hmmmmm

You’ve been working on that line, haven’t you Crystals :-)

Micky :)

Well at least we are playing better

you can all ooh and aaah over Sanchez, but I still think Santi is a great player

I agree Eddie,by the way is he playing today.

thanks Kelsey, I wouldn’t want anyone here to disagree with me :)

Peaches – do you find Sanchez handsome? Could we fall in love with him? I seem to have something against him, not sure what

Oh dear a stonewall penalty not given, sounds familiar.

70. Of course he’s handsome, you don’t think so?

71. Yeh but, you fancy Rory Delap so I’m not certain your judgement is on my wave length ;)

72. Go Matty, bet you’ve missed doing that :)

no, I don’t like pretty boys, I know you do, that’s why I asked :)

can you get a red card in a friendly? It should have been a red

74. chás says:

So Atkinson got it right and the sleeping lino fecked us for a change.
    Zelalem, The Ox and Chubby excellent.

75. Who’s? Matty or the Monaco keeper?

Right, I feel a full and robust internet hate campaign should be immediately launched against that Utd supporting linesman bastard :-)

77. chás says:

All in all, a great workout for a team in progress.

78. Lets get the lino, hope he doesn’t thnk he’s coming back to the Ems in a hurry

79. chás says:

Disgraceful linesmanship – assistant referee, my arse, you can’t even do the lino’s job properly when in line. :)

Yeah Peaches
    Wait for him outside and “get him” :-)

Very enjoyable weekend

What have I learnt? Well, that I’m bang on the money tactically. Obviously. Oh, and anyone who thinks Ollie should start central over Alexis, ever, is mad :-)

82. Did Akpom go out on loan last season?

Off to light a bonfire, and it’s going to be big, and have an effigy on top of a little man holding a flag :-)

Eddie
    Get down the Ems now, and do your duty :-)

85. chás says:

Micky
    So, in effect, you’ve learnt nothing, but only had your prejudices supposedly confirmed. :)

Hole in One, Chas :-)

87. chás says:

Can I come to the bonfire?

88. chás says:

Those rhodies give off some poisonous fumes if burnt.

You’re always welcome here

Must go. Chuba Akpom, as Oscar wants to be called, is waiting.

90. chás says:

I vote for a Crystal’s match report to get all our feet firmly on the floor.

91. chás says:

92. Take some pics of the bonfire for chas, he loves a bonfire :)

93. chás says:

Thanks, man.

94. Crystals – do you want to do one for tomorrow?

I hope Giroud isn’t actually injured. Have to say as a unit we weren’t very good and many teams will play like Monaco by closing us down.
    Next week is the real test to see where we are at.

96. Norfolk Gooner says:

After the Lord Mayor’s show….

Well the euphoria created by yesterday’s 5 – 0 thrashing of Benfica dissipated pretty quickly in the face of Monaco’s more robust approach.

The excitement created by Campbell and Sanogo was sadly lacking in Giroud’s sluggish and inept performance, was it an injury that forced Wenger to substitute him at half-time? It would be generous to say so.

Dodgy defending at the corner for Falcao’s goal and a worse than dodgy Atkinson decision, not to award a penalty when the foul was clearly inside the box, conspired to deny Arsenal the Emirates Cup.

Going back to my Wilshere comment earlier…he’s done himself no favours today, a very poor game, no pace, no penetration and easily knocked off the ball.

I can’t for the life of me think how Khadira would fit into that team.

98. Norfolk Gooner says:

Sorry, that should of course have read 5 – 1.

LB :D

I think I will pas on this one peaches and wait for the real action to begin,but thank you in any case.

100. Did we have anyone controlling our mid-field today? It looked like we were completely overrun. There’s no point in having all these creative jewels if we can’t get the ball to them.

Maybe it was just a pre-season friendly so no-one was really trying?

Did it work yesterday because Benfica weren’t trying?

No peaches.

Monaco are a far better team and more physical and just closed us down together with the fact generally the team looked lethargic

LB – can Kadheira defend?

Micky – I went past the Emirates earlier on today on my way abroad. The train was full of orangey red a white shirt, a very nice outfit. I came back very depressed and only Santi managed to put a smile back on my face.

Eddie

In my mind right now Khadira can not only defend, he can fly.

Ok so Monaco T-1 week til season kick off, Arsenal T-2 weeks til season kick off. Add that to the players that haven’t been back from WC duties that long (Giroud, Koz, Santi etc) and you start to see the difference. Quite a few still working out the kinks, including Koz. Chambers sleep walking deep for the goal, but that’s an organisational issue that will come over time, hopefully he only needs to be told once, I actually think our set piece defending last season was a lot better with Per dictating the high line. Yesterday’s long throw goal is simply put down to Gibbs and Monreal as CB defending that side.

Ramsey is a machine though, he is the epitome of what pundits refer to as having a good engine.

Thankfully that’s not the only part of his game.

Michael Owen made me laugh, looks like Arsenal are changing this season and will have a lot more pace having added Sanchez, they were too slow last season with Santi, Ozil and Giroud, they’ve also got Ramsey who can burst late, Walcott and Ox have pace too.

So what are you saying Michael? We were unlucky our speed merchants were injured last term not that we are changing.

Akpom has some pace and will give Sanogo. Battle for first team bench duties. Sadly I think Miquel suffered most from this weekend, he just hasn’t quite stepped up to the level I think we all hoped, sadly because in my opinion he spent a bit too long in Academy football walking through games. Probably should have gone out on loan a couple of seasons or more ago but I can’t imagine many lower league Wnglish clubs wanting a ball playing centre back as first choice, but possibly shows we could improve something in terms of our loaning of youngsters.

I liked Sanchez a lot you can see he needs a bit of getting to know you time, but I can see him being as good as Aguero, so like Micky can see him having quite a bit of game time in the middle of the park.

I fear this could be one season too many for Arteta but maybe as a sensible old head he knows not to run around too much in pre season and instead conserve some energy for the long season ahead.

Peaches

There are a few grumpy words in drafts should you need and feel free to change the tittle if you want.

Oh dear. Seriously gloomy day to be a Gooner.

MORNING KELSEY :-)

Spot on, Chas.

I think “doom” is right on the money as to how any right minded Gooner should be feeling this morning.

The future is bleak

Crystals at 6:34pm

Care to explain this madness

“I hope Giroud isn’t actually injured”
    :-)

Exile

All good points. About Sanchez you say “I can see him being as good as Aguero”. While I agree, I’d actually liken him far more to Suarez.

I would like us to play as an improved version of Liverpool with their Sturridge/Suarez pacey attack.

No Big ‘Un in sight and they scored 101 league goals!!!

110. chás says:

111. chás says:

I don’t think we need a wide striker so badly.

A front two or three (Pool played both 2 and 3) of Sanchez, Theo, Ox and Joel would leave skid marks in most defenders’ briefs

Morning

Care to explain this madness

“I hope Giroud isn’t actually injured” :-)

Well Wenger explained it afterwards

Wenger explained that he had removed Olivier Giroud at half-time because the French striker was “not ready at all”, and the former Montpellier man was not the only player who appeared fatigued.

So my question was why did he play him ?

I didn’t want to do a post because posts after matches should be about what one saw not about who wasn’t playing,I will elaborate later.

and also I had a prawn vindaloo last night,the rest is history :)

115. chás says:

116. chás says:

Verm to Barca for £11.2M eh

Or swapsies for Song :-)

Elaborate away Crystals. Why wait, as let’s face it, LB’s post is simply going to drone on and on about Jack, his potential and how the whole side should be built around him.
    :-)

I wish Chubby Bloody Akbomb would get up, the surf looks doable.

Sod work.

120. chás says:

Akbomb. :)

Has Chubby turned into Kevin the teenager?

121. chás says:
  122. chás says:

Micky

if peaches allows I will do a post tomorrow on my thoughts about both the weekend matches mixed together and the similarity that I saw that was no different to last season,obviously some will say that whatever you call this pre season mini competition it really isn’t important whilst others will say otherwise.

Work that out if you like :)

I think smoking has affected Jack’s sense of gravity.I can’t recall another player in recent times (apart from your favorite,giroud) who spends so much time on the deck.

chas has this canny knack of changing the subject :)

Micky I like Aguero….I don’t like Suarez…..so I hope he is more Aguero.

Ha ha Kelsey

When I’m watching a game with Oscar and we notice a crumpled heap of a gunner in the corner of the screen, eyeballs roll.

Then the cameras always cut to a concerned looking Arsene (he always looks concerned) and out pops the usual rubbish of how worried he must be to see it’s Ollie, and that the injury might be serious.

No it isn’t.

Exile

I meant in style of play leaving aside the diving and nibbling :-)

When’s the baby due ie how many games can you squeeze in?

128. chás says:

What was the subject, kelsey?
    It just seemed to be a random three separate-stranded ramble through the morning as usual. :)

129. chás says:

Good point when is Exile jnr no. 2 due and is she a girl?

is she a girl, haha.

Chas,
    Definitely not a Kevin, just sleeps more in the holidays, due to doing far more exercise. No mumbling or emo hair do, just eats like a horse.

Walcott has had a setback,should be fit by Easter.

133. chás says:

Speaking of more exercise, you must be looking quite trim with all that surfing?
    I felt like I’d been on an intensive training programme after just 3 days.

Fresh for the semis and title run in then :-)

No, I never change weight or shape no matter what I do or don’t do.

Also, I don’t care as I’ve no intention of wearing skin tight sports clothing :-)

136. chás says:

Life must be so much easier if all you wear is polyester shirts and gaberdine slacks.

137. chás says:

……..along with your broken plimsolls. :)

138. chás says:

I don’t believe all that surfing has no effect on muscle tone.
    Bet you’d be a right lard bucket if you weren’t in the sea all the time.

Though I know that ultra-busy, manic peeps like yourself have extremely fast metabolisms. :)

Must go. Ta-ra.

I have a metabolism? Cool.
    It’s up (the teenager). We’re loaded. We’re off. Ta-ra indeed.

Great title LB, thanks

141. Morning Eddie – what a handsome Bambino :)

doesn’t work, never mind

I have nothing interesting to say. other than I am wondering if it was the pressure from the fans and the media that influenced Wenger and the Club to buy big and to buy early. They have answered all of the accusations, which means that those who want to tarnish us will quickly come up with something new.

hi peaches! gorgeous, isn’t he? Are you out of the pool now?

2 September is due date but they could be extracting manually and earlier because the little bugger is not shifting from breach position.

Which makes me believe it will be a girl awkward from day one.

GiE :) Let’s hope it is a girl :)

146. We have a New Post ………………..