Arsenal in New York – nah it’s all about Thierry Henry

In his press conference yesterday Arsène  joked with journalists that he had only taken one striker to New York as he hoped that Thierry would play one half for Arsenal :)

Later in the interview Arsène  was asked about his best Thierry Henry moment. The goal he chose was the goal against Leeds in the FA Cup in 2012 where Thierry made his very brief comeback in an Arsenal shirt.

I was there at the Emirates that night and it was a special night even before the Thierry goal. The air was filled with expectation. Parents had brought very small children, those that were too young to have seen the King play previously and now they were going to get their chance.

There are lots of videos on ‘youtube’ of the goal but this one isn’t overlaid with funky music, it’s just commentary and the sound of the Emirates erupting and cheering a hero.

Arsene said he liked this goal the best because it made Thierry so happy to have scored it and that all the other goals were ‘business as usual’. Arsène felt it cemented Thierry into the hearts of Gooners, I would say he was already there.

If you can pick a favourite Thierry Henry goal let us know about it, for many – myself included – one won’t be enough. Be self indulgent – there will never be another Thierry Henry and we were very lucky that he played for Arsenal.

peachesgooner

143 Responses to Arsenal in New York – nah it’s all about Thierry Henry

1. Sorry it took so long to post this ………… I couldn’t work out how to do editing on my ipad :(

2. This came up as a related post at the top of my page. I don’t know how related posts work so everyone might get different ones but this is a really good read.

3. Lovely little piece about Titi

What did AW say about being passionate but keeping calm… this sums it up:

4. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, great stuff. Henry was (is?) an extraordinary player – in some ways the perfect footballer, in some ways beyond a footballer – the ways he came up with for creating and scoring goals were beyond what can be taught, he just sees things in ways others don’t. A bit like George Best.

There are so many great and so many important goals TH14 (and TH12) scored for us, especially in what was perhaps the greatest ever Arsenal team. But my favourite is partly about the goal and partly about it happening on a special day in my life: Sparta Prague away in the Champions’ League happened on 18 October 2005, Henry scored both our goals but the first was a doozy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KPhqHyLl0). I know the date because my second child was born that afternoon. I brought my three-year old daughter home from the hospital, where my wife and new son stayed, and my daughter stayed up with me and had a treat watching football with her dad (she’s been properly indoctrinated). Today (even as a pre-teen I’m-so-cool kid), she still recounts how she and I watched a game the night of her brother had been born and she saw Thierry Herny score a great goal.

Some people don’t like Henry, calling him arrogant. But when you see someone with that level of talent, arrogance can be justified. It’s when it’s coupled with someone who either lacks talent or the mentality to get the best from their abilities (someone like Adebayor) that arrogance shows a pathetic side to a person.

I look forward to other memories of Henry goals…..

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Peaches Peaches Peaches you know how to please.
    Henry, Quality, so many goals and i cannot pick, as everyone was special, Henry i felt knew in his minds eye what he wanted to do, like many other strikers they visualise where the ball will end up, Strangely not many have the skill to actually do it.

Henry was a special talent, and at first he surprised himself of that i am sure. Listening to commentators over the years and Old Pundit strikers, saying that was a very special goal, says bundles about his talent.

Yes Henry was Arrogant in the end, i often thought Cocky was a better word, but when you finish like he did, i don’t blame him. I played as a striker in my playing days, visualisation is a wonderful thing if you can finish, knowing where the goal is, even if your back is turned, and sensing where players and goalkeepers are, is special. Not many players can hit a ball on target even facing the goal from 12 yards, but Henry made it look effortless.

The quality of any striker is when he makes it look like he has all the time in the world, when in actual fact, it happens in seconds. Henry scored when he helped us out, he was passed his best by a long way, but the talent and the skill still made him better than most strikers in the premier. A true Legend, and only left when it suited us

If you didn’t get goose bumps shortly after you pressed play on that clip up there you really are in the wrong place.

If you didn’t well up a bit when he scored you really should…….errrr “Man Up”

It was a very emotional moment, I am allowed ;)

Thanks Peaches

Nice idea.

Many, many incredible goals scored and unfortunately one incredible goal missed.

One nil to the Arsenal in the 2005/6 CL Final against Barcelona with about 15/20 minutes left Henry one on one with their keeper and he fluffed the chance. That could have been the goal of a lifetime and most likely could have been the most important goal in our history – not all memories are great.

8. Anonymous says:

Mehn, I’ve got tears in my eyes. Dats the best goal ever. The fact that after so many years, the king could still score his trademark goal. Igwe Henry as he is known in this part of the world is truly the Gunners King.

9. Doh – I’ve just discovered that since we became arsenalarsenal.net newsnow haven’t been picking up our posts :(

They will now.

10. I have a brother that lives in New York, Arsenal supporters are going to have a ball this weekend. He reckons the players will be at Grand Central Station when he passes through on his way home tonight.

Peaches,

Your brother is spot on, and there is a lot of Arsenal related stuff going on all day. Here’s a little blurb about it.

— In support of PUMA and Arsenal FC’s new, long-term partnership, the two global brands will converge at New York City’s Grand Central Terminal on July 25th, in advance of their pre-season tour stop at Red Bull Arena. Bringing in select Arsenal FC players and a larger-than-life replica of Arsenal FC’s iconic cannon, PUMA will take over Vanderbilt Hall from 9:30 AM – 8:00 PM, featuring an array of activities, including one of the first opportunities to purchase the brand new home and away kits. For those who purchase jerseys on-site, they can also receive a team-branded cinch-sak, courtesy of Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Grand Central Terminal will also play host to the #StrongerTogether 3v3 Classic throughout the day, featuring regional U10-U12 boys teams as they face off for the ultimate prize – the chance to play alongside Arsenal FC stars in the final match of the day, which is targeted to kick off at 5pm.

All fans will be welcome to stop by, take pictures of the FA Cup, won during the 2013-2014 season, and share their experience on social media. Participants that use the #STRONGERTOGETHER moniker, and show their social media engagement to event staff, will receive a PUMA & Arsenal FC mini ball. Be sure to stop by throughout the day, as prizes are limited.

Please join PUMA, Arsenal FC players, Arsenal’s mascot – Gunnersauraus and more in bringing this partnership to the greatest city on earth!

And thank you for the Post today. :-)

12. Just a Cannon atm

it is indeed a big day for North American Arsenal fans, around 30 of my buddies from the Mad Hatter in Mississauga are driving to Buffalo in the morning and then flying into New York to watch the game. Unfortunately I could not join them.

GN5,

I was scheduled to return to NY 3 weeks ago, but had my contract extended until at least December. Que sera, sera, otherwise ….

The way that Puma have thrown themselves into promoting Arsenal speaks well of the sponsorship agreement, even if Arsene is not too pleased.

It’s a great idea to catch the attention of hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers on their way to and from work, and will no doubt be picked up on local TV too.

It is difficult to know what the best Thierry goal, but the one in the vid is hard to beat, even though Sendroz made the assist, but then the goal against ‘Pool, and the first time shot against Manure in the Premier League were pretty special too.

15. arnie says:

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, Peaches. :) :) :) warm glow and goosebumps all over. :razz:

Best Henry goal ever. Simples for me, each and every one scored for the good guys. :) :) :)

suuuuuuper super Peach,
    suuuuuuper super Peach,
    suuuuuuper super Peach,
    super Peaches Gooner!

Well done P, short and sweet post, just perfect for a boring Friday.
    Why are the players going to the Central Station, because of the Cannon?

17. arnie says:

What boring Friday, Evonne? No new toys, you mean? :razz:

18. Evonne – I think the Cannon is in Grand Central Station because of the Arsenal ;)

19. Norfolk Gooner says:

Eddie, the players took the cannon with them, they had a hell of a job getting through security at Heathrow but in the end Giroud stuffed inside his underpants and all went smoothly.

you lot think me is stupid – arnie says Fridays are not boring, Peaches says that Central station has a cannon just for us and NG tells me that Giroud has lots of space in his undies

anyway, I have a son going to NY this weekend, I will get him to check

22. Norfolk Gooner says:

Eddie don’t you let your son go anywhere near Giroud’s undies, whatever it is you want checked. :D

NG :) and now this Friday is no longer boring :)

BTW Peaches – you is admin, right? So what happened to the boss, Rasp? He hasn’t been blogging at all

24. I don’t know how we’re going to flush him out ………… :(

He’s having a well deserved break, I reckon.

Should be back and raring to go for the Charity Shield.

The trouble with new toys is that the thrill of getting them is so good that when it subsides you immediately start craving it all over again.

LB – I thought it was true about heroin
    No, it is probably true about any high, and ours is that club from N5

Hm…. and your drug of choice is? Arsenal. No, that’s insane

Oi Rasp, it is your blog you know. At least hello to us

28. arnie says:

Evonne: Norfolk never said Giro had plenty of space in his undies. Only just sufficient to stuff a cannon. :razz:

LB. And the further problem with new toys is that you can acquire them only during the transfer season. Hence, to spread the thrill over the year we need to acquire quite a lot of them. :razz: Arsene, where is Arsene? :)

Evening all, sorry not been around much going a bit crazy here 6 weeks til due date and we are nowhere near ready, George’s nursery was all done with weeks to spare.

Because my office occupies the nursery we currently have builders converting the Garage, when did plumbers become brain surgeons?

Anyway hopefully it’ll be ready before the big kick off.

As for favourite Thierry goal, I think it was this:

I watched at home and was out of my seat

It’s the speed of the two touches in real time that makes that a very special goal for me.

Everyone in the ground was waiting for him to let the ball run across him and face the goal.

But this is still my favourite goal of all time.

Morning all

The lightning knocked my satellite dish and wifi off yesterday but nevertheless how blessed we were to have a player like Henry.Arrogance and grace a beautiful mixture.

In other news my hunch maybe right that AW may sell Campbell to A C Milan in part exchange for Balotelli as Campbell’s current market price will be the best we would get after his CL and WC showings,so perhaps he will never wear an Arsenal shirt.

It appears we have signed Calum Chambers,yet another talent from Southampton.

Apparently there is a mandatory rule that FIFA have imposed that all players who played in the WC Final must have a 4 week rest period which effects our German players who actually played in the Final and any Argentinians who play in the PL.
    Anyone enlighten me on this,please.

Peaches,
    Lovely post, thank you.
    Wow, Arsenalization of my favourite building in the world. Superb idea from Puma.

On TH goals. I agree with Exile on both counts. The fav Thierry goal as well as his fav ever, the Wright goal.

Crystals
    How can anyone “enlighten” the “enlightened one”? :-)

Morning, Kelsey,

The WC players are entitled to a 4 week vacation, which ends on the 10th August, so it does not leave time to be ready for the kick off a week later. We have the Community Sheild, and a CL qualifying round as well as the EPL to fit in.

Of course the players could come in to train earlier if they did so voluntarily – but they won’t – or Wenger will not want them to.

Glad to see you are recovering, Surf Man. :-)

So. – Calum Chambers – Explain.

RA
    Turns out it wasn’t a deadly variety of flu, but far worse, a one day attack of even more deadly hay fever. Damn I’m tough :-)

By the way, when CL draw? :-)

RA
    What does a Calum Chambers do, and where?

We have apparently signed the 19 y.o right back from Southampton for £7m to £16m according to the BBC.

So that is Chambers, Debucht, Jenkinson and Bellerini at right back — Sagna must have been better than I thought!! :-)

Micky, oddly enough, I was going to ask you when the CL Draw would be made. :-)

RA ha ha
    Given that Bellerin really looks promising, and as you say we’ve now signed Deb and Cham, it doesn’t say much for Arsene’s confidence in Jenks.

RA
    Haven’t a clue, but I’d guess a Friday, and pretty soon, so a stab at it would make Aug 8 worth a pound or two :-)

It appears from my cursory Google on Chambers, that he can also cover at CB, so maybe we will see Vermaelen exit stage left.

He is well thought of (Chambers) and has played at various levels for England Youth teams. The mysterious ways of our man Arsene – but he is usually right! :-)

Talking of things and stuff, should we read anything into the fact that Coquelin was lined up next to Aaron in the Borehamwood game?

Because I do :-)

Have you noticed how quiet it is now that the Gorgeous One is away on holiday?

I can still smell his aftershave tho’. :-)

46. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Supposed to be a good one today, lets hope it is

Well he would not cost us £20 + m (which Schneiderlin or Kedhira would. No idea really about Le Coq – thought he was a goner Gooner.

Off for coffee – later. :-)

Yes, the SOB has killed the 5-30 to 6:30 slot, but you’re right that the stench of Brut 33 lingers.

Mind you, you won’t catch me slagging off the tart given my need for CL Away tickets.

Steve
    You refer to the weather or signings?

If weather, we’ve had wall to wall sun down West Country. One thunder storm, other than that, scorchio. 29 yesterday, and sea is two months ahead of where it should be temperature wise (winter storms brought warmer deep water up in Atlantic).

We’ve surfed 9 out of last 11 days, although today looks flat :-(

Micky – or even the game tonight

Game, Eddie?

yes Micky, 10pm kick off

BTW, I thought you were in hospital with a man flu

and starting with today there will be a game every weekend for 9 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oh do keep up, Eddie. May I refer you to my 7:41.

Ah Red Bulls, I guess. Did you get your 100 Ibs of honey?

oh, so it was just a bit of sneezing? Bloody hell, what a woofter

Red Bulls or not, I’d watch if they were playing Enfield sunday league team. It is a game at long last

No, I got less honey that I had hopped for. In a nutshell I am a useless beekeeper :( It is my 3rd year now and I have barely improved

Maybe it’s not your fault, and you need to have firm words with the bees.

Me a woofter? Ok, I like soft furnishings and fabrics, have four cats and a wonderful garden, but we all know there’s only one bloke on here who spends every morning in front of the mirror down the beauty salon, and that ain’t me

Cats and garden are a bit iffy, but no, I’ve never seen a queer with a flat cap like yours, or slightly overgrown hair.

Bees are not very reasonable, they’d rather die than let me have some honey. It is my fault Micky, lack of experience, impatience and immunity to listening to more experienced guys. Never mind, 70lb of liquid gold is not that bad

70!!! That’s great. From how many hives?

60. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry Micky, Just changed my phone and trying to get it set up, All passwords seem different and had a hell of a job sorting out, all i have to do is remember them all.

I was referring to the weather, started off good yesterday, but thunder and lightening and a rain pour soon sorted that.

Why have we brought some one :)

Eddie
    Nothing iffy about cats. Real men have cats. Think Hemmingway, Picasso, Bukowski and LB.
    As for gardens, big landscape gardens are surely manly. In my new garden I have many trees and huge Rhodos to remove and that means really macho stuff like chainsaws, tractors and chains. OK? :-)

chainsaws and tractors??!! Can I help? I LOVE cutting :) Digging is my second most favourite occupation, honestly :)

70lb from 2 hives, 1 hive produced next to nothing. That is poor for such good summer. But like I said, I am useless and have a long way to go until I collect 170lb from each hive. like my friend does every year.

Steve – thunder and lightening is the best weather in the world, awesome

63. stevepalmer1 says:

Things to do, catch you guys later

170 from one hive. Blimey!

65. fatgingergooner says:

Struggling to see where Chambers fits in.

Probably means Verm or Jenks are leaving for good.

Also, do we think Miquel will stay, and is he good enough?

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Eddie just noticed your comment, and didn’t want to appear rude. :) all right mate if your not out in it, catch you laters

in arnie’s absence we can be totally non PC, great!! So are you saying Mr DidIt that Raddy, Rasp and Kelsey are woofters? they don’t have cats

Drogba singed for Chelsea for a year. Jose thinks he will do for Chavs what Thierry has done for us v Everton. I think not. There is only one Tel

Eddie

I’d say no to Rasp, but the other two are most definitely maybes :-)

Actually Eddie, I need to make myself boringly clear on this. I have genuinely nothing against poofs.

Drogba eh? Could be a useful signing if used sparingly. Still not sure about Costa though

72. fatgingergooner says:

Szscesny
    Ospina
    Martinez

Debuchy
    Chambers

Gibbs
    Monreal

Mertersacker
    Koscielny
    Vermaelen
    Miquel

I’d be happy if that was our back 5 options for the start of the season, with Jenks out on loan. Let Verm leave on a free next year if that’s what he wants, bring Jenks back in and put Chambers to 3rd choice CB.

If Verm or Monreal leave then we need 1 more body. I’d be worried if Chambers was 3rd choice this season.

hello ginga, how are tricks? I am a happy sky customer now :)

Will our Tel play against us tonight? We should let him score, really

Micky – re poofs – I am the opposite, I like them, they are the best gossips and usually have wicked sense of humour. And it is hysterical when they act like ugly girls :) I only wish there were more woofters and less macho men in this world

74. fatgingergooner says:

Good to hear Eddie! Yes I think he will play and score. I hope he does and then runs off in wild celebration! That would be hilarious.

This Chambers signing has really thrown a spanner in works. We’ve been linked with 2 RB’s all summer, so do we just accept that Jenks is no longer fancied? Or do we assume Chambers is brought in as CB cover? Or can any of them play LB and Monreal is on his way out?

Best scenario would be everyone stays and Jenks goes on loan, but not sure that will happen.

75. fatgingergooner says:

Also great to see transfers progressing whilst Wenger is away. Shows that Gazidis and co are more than capable of getting deals done.

Good times.

76. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone seen the Zelalem basketball clip with Henry and Ramsey?

Check it out! Zelalem not just good at football!

77. njstone9 says:

Guys, assuming the Chambers signing goes ahead, it’s obvious that Vermaelen will be sold, hopefully to Barcelona, not Man U. Wenger said he’d bring in a defender if someone left. Wenger isn’t the type to force someone to stay who isn’t playing. I can’t see us spending upwards of 20m in one window on right backs. Chambers is Vermaelen’s replacement.

78. fatgingergooner says:

I’d be a bit worried if Chambers is Vermaelens direct replacement for this season. It’s easier to get away with fielding young, inexperienced full backs than it is centre backs. Obviously he could be a great long term option, but for now I’d want another experienced defender brought in if Verm leaves.

Champions League play-off information

Arsenal will face a qualifying tie to reach next season’s Champions League.

The Gunners will enter the competition in the play-off round. This is the latest information about our potential opponents:

Arsenal will be one of the 10 teams in the ‘non-champions’ section of the draw
    Five teams will enter at this stage, plus the five winners from the third qualifying round for non-champions
    Arsenal will be seeded and will face a non-seeded team in a two-legged tie
    The other confirmed seeded teams are: Porto, Napoli and Bayer Leverkusen
    Athletic Bilbao are likely to be unseeded, but they will be seeded if Zenit St Petersburg do not qualify for the play-off round

Seeded teams in the play-off round:

Arsenal (112 coefficient)
    FC Porto (105)
    Bayer Leverkusen (70)
    Napoli (61)
    Athletic Bilbao (54) – will be seeded if Zenit do not reach play-off round

Other teams who could qualify for play-off round:

AEL Limassol (7) or Zenit (73)
    Dnipro (32) or Copenhagen (45)
    Feyenoord (13) or Besiktas (34)
    Grasshoppers (9) or Lille (45)
    Standard Liege (38) or Panathinakos (30)

Third-qualifying-round ties will be played on July 29/30 and August 5/6.

The draw for the play-off round will take place on August 8.

We will update this page when further information becomes available.

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

80. arnie says:

motning, erm, tuftoon all. nice banter. :) :)

A few snippets caught my attention.

Transfers. Nothing wrong with Chambers, but agree with FGG that we need a bit more experience. Smoke-screen, anyone? Kelsey, the thought of Campbell being shunted out is the best piece of doomer ball-gazing I have come across in a long time. :razz: And, BTW, I had lost my wifi as well. Must have been Kelsey’s lightning!

Evonne. “in arnie’s absence we can be totally non PC, great!!” hmmm, I am keeping watch.

Micky. “I do think it should be illegal for them to teach in all boy boarding schools for 8-12 yr olds, as the smooth skinned pretty boys are too much of a temptation to the kiddy fiddlers. Other than that, freedom for poofs, I say.” For a change, I agree with Micky.

I would go even further. There is not that much wrong in encouraging young boys to play rugby and turn the other way when they scrum. It is fair to allow them the opportunity to discover for themselves their woofy self early in life. :razz: :razz: :razz: Now, before I have brickbats flying my way, I’m off! :razz:

81. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger been talking about Ospina whilst in America. He said Szscesny will be first choice to begin with but if Ospina plays well when given a chance then he could be number 1.

Wenger wouldn’t talk about Ospina unless it was a done deal, so I guess that’s another signing in the bag!!!

An absolute bargain at the rumoured £3m too. Next season is getting more exciting every day.

fgg

If that is correct then competition is very healthy for both keepers.

83. neamman says:

Favorite TH14 goal. Undefeated season when he scored his second [?] of 3 against Liverpool. I was in the North bank and kept on screaming
    pass.. pass the damn thing.. as he beat player after player.

What a goal.

The Chambers thing sounds like a smoke screen to me as well Arnie.

It only makes sense if Jenkinson is sold which is not beyond the realms of imagination I suppose.

Chambers as CB cover? Really? I think not, Vermaelen is obviously looking around and Wenger has even given him a helping hand by advertising that he will be replaced if he leaves.

Wenger may well have said that we are prepared to let him go if the right offer came in.

And if it did and he did leave I would expect Wenger to buy experience in the same was as Ospina is experienced.

On Campbell I tend to agree with Kelsey, I don’t know what it is but I can see him in an Arsenal shirt.

Chambers makes sense as he is home grown, and even more sense because he bolsters the squad without having to name him for another two years, so a positive on two counts.

We could even sign him and allow TV5 to run down his contract, my bet is the agent didn’t get anywhere with United has now thrown the Barca deal to the tabloids in the hope a few others come in.

It’s like all the stories that say something like Tottenham look set to win the race to sign an unknown Ayer who was also a target for Arsenal, City and Chelsea”.

Hmmm let me try and understand why the player chose Spuds if the others were really interested.

Exile

“Hmmm let me try and understand why the player chose Spuds if the others were really interested”

Such a good start to any day :-)

Just read the match report on official site.

Mozart as striker first 45! I guess a general workout for most. Diaby played 45. Points of interest possibly performances of Chubby Akpom, Bellerin, Coquelin, Zelalem and San Miquel.

Didn’t sound too informative or very interesting.

88. stevepalmer1 says:

Redbulls 1 Arsenal 0
    Played a lot of youngsers plus Diaby who I must say played well

I found the game a little boring although Diaby did find the net but sadly offside

Our defence was caught out by fast attacing red bulls that will have to change

Morning

I haven’t seen the game, only read snippets, but it was more about a jamboree for Henry and a good money spinning publicity stunt as the formation was to say weird, and 70% of those who played wouldn’t feature in a PL starting line up.

Obviously this was arranged yonks ago and the WC had a huge baring on who we could select.

As a football match a total waste of time except for players to get fit.

Chambers doesn’t make sense to me as there is little to chose between him and Jenkinson so my conclusion is that one of them, most probably Jenkinson will go out on loan.Neither are proven as a regular RB let alone any other position.

Arnie: “For a change, I agree with Micky”

I find this news worrying and depressing in about equal measure.

I shall review my thoughts on everything :-)

Ah ha, Steve and Kelsey good morning.

So, what have we to look forward to?

Emirates Cup
    CL Draw
    Shield thing
    Palace
    Last minute monster signing from Madrid

Is that the right order?

Just looked at fixture list, and noticed it’s no longer The Charity Shield but the Community Cup. What’s that all about, and ideas?

Ah micky but first The Commonwealth Bowls :)

Anyone know the exact dates for the fixtures you mentioned.I think they come in rapid fire with PL games sandwiched in between.

by the way for those of you that have teeth,throw away your toothpaste and mouthwash and only use sea water salt to brush your teeth and gums.
    If you want to go a step further get a water gun and fill it with the same salt mixed with warm water.it preserves teeth,crowns and implants.

87% of people interviewed in this survey thought I was nuts and 69% agreed with me :)

Oh RA before you say that those figures don’t add up,they were two seperate surveys ;)

96. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Micky,

Not a good start but means very little as you said. a lot of who played will not be in our starting eleven. Henry showed class even at 35 he is still very talented and yes it was all about him.

I must admit, i didn’t realise just how well thought of he is over there, i normally just follow us but he has grown a huge following. Playing slightly deeper he can pass a ball through the eye of a needle, and that caught us out on several occasions, and when he does go forward, he times his runs perfect, He had a breakthrough and had a one on one with our Czez, luckily for us Czez just got a hand to it but a few years ago i’m sure he would have buried it.

Although we lost, i did feel that our youngsters handled themselves well Chuba had a one on one but he lacked the skill that he needed. Martinez our reserve keeper looked safe and didn’t do to much wrong. and i must say that Diaby was looking very good considering he has been out for so long.

Redbulls in all honesty shouldn’t really be beating us, but we did push them right up to the end, but the killer ball was very illusive.

Wenger i would say is assessing who will be part of the squad and who goes on loan, and i would be surprised if Jenks is one of them.. Akpon needs more time Le Coq looked steady but the surprise for me was zealem whatever his name is, he looked a good prospect. Hayden also had a reasonable spell.

Nice report Steve.
    Thanks for clip Kelsey.

Just read a Bleacher Report on game, and they scored Jenks the lowest.

Who was Captain. Ramsey over Rosicky or Arteta I’d imagine.

98. stevepalmer1 says:

Arteta

There goes that theory then :-)

Should be remembered Red Bulls are in the middle of their season whereas we are just getting warmed up.

I am surprised we did the trip, and can’t understand why we would put all those air miles in for one game….think I would have rather we stayed for a couple of weeks. Obviously I understand the financial incentives.

The Asian trip last season seemed far better planned.

101. arnie says:

motning all. just checked into a hotel after a day of driving and long walks. tired, but warm glow. :)

Micky. :)

off to catch a few hours sleep, back laters.

I always thought Clegg stupid, now he proved me right:

“Russia should lose the right to host the 2018 World Cup as part of tougher sanctions following the plane crash in eastern Ukraine, Nick Clegg has said”

Asian tour was better planned, but left some casualties and the team exhausted. Thank Dennis they went west this summer

103. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Exile, Football has taken off in America, and we seem to have good relations with the Redbull outfit, wouldn’t surprise me if some of our youngsters end up with them.

As you say money and promotion seems to be the thing of the day, and tours like this are next to useless for our players. But for the future it probably will make a bit more sense.

104. stevepalmer1 says:

Off fishing, will keep my eye on the site, hopefully on my new phone catch you all later

steve

has football really taken off in the USA.They have been trying to make it a major sport since the late seventies, I just don’t think it rates highly amongst a diverse nation.Ladies football has done better,there again a money thing.

What it has done mainly through TV has increased the fan base of clubs such as ours.

Nearly half the Arsenal sites I read are written by Americans or have a huge following of stateside Arsenal fans.

Eddie,
    Now, now, no politics, but yes Clegg is a moron :-) Was it Russian backed who downed the plane?

Kelsey,
    I think there is a real surge in interest in soccer in the US. Certainly in the NY area, according to my chum who lives there with two 12 yr old’ish boys.

Morning Kelsey,

Isn’t that statement a contradiction in terms?

There are millions of people in this country who don’t give a toss about football, and prefer other sports or none at all.

With the huge increase in the Mexican proportion of the population, there will be more and more commercial interest in football, and America will become a power in the game in the not too distant future. :-)

RA – let’s hope not, or the wages, transfer prices and fees will become even more exorbitant that they are now. Us is all about money init?

Micky – of course it was. Putin gave them a free hand but I don’t think he anticipated them shooting at international planes.

Kels – I knew this guy who always brushed his teeth with salt and at 70 he had all his teeth, not very white, but the original set. I quite like my Royal Dultons, they are white and shiny :)

109. I hope you don’t mind Peaches but I’ve posted my Sunday supplement with a poll. I hope you will allow your ‘boys’ ‘n’ ‘girls’ to vote: http://wp.me/p4FeF9-cX

110. fatgingergooner says:

I saw an article yesterday saying Soccer is now the 2nd most popular sport by 12-24 year olds in America.

To watch or play FGG ?

No doubt the following is greater than it was but three sports come way in front of our football in The States.

70% of Americans never leave the USA and some think the Middle East is in Europe and if you meet one and you live in London they may ask you if you know their friend one in 12 million in Greater London, and if you say no they are quite surprised :)

112. fatgingergooner says:

Article from Al-Jazeera America.

MLS is not the only soccer that American fans follow. For 12-to-24-year-olds, soccer is the second-most-popular professional sport, behind only football and above basketball, baseball and hockey. Think pieces periodically extol the rising interest in European leagues among creative types. Bars in Brooklyn fill up on weekends, full of fans getting their fix of the English Premier League (EPL). And then there are the millions of fans who tune in to European leagues at home, leading NBC to pay $250 million last year for the rights to broadcast the EPL in the U.S.

Unlike previous generations, Americans today understand the game because they grew up playing it. Almost 90 percent of soccer fans in a recent survey said they have played the sport or have an immediate family member who does. In addition to the many Americans whose parents never kicked a ball but who have become converts to soccer, there is a large and growing group of fans whose parents come from the soccer-mad countries of Latin America. Latinos are among the most dedicated soccer fans in the United States. According to Luker, MLS is the second-most-popular American pro sports league among Latinos, behind only the NFL. Many Latinos in the U.S., including second- and third-generation residents, also follow soccer from their families’ home countries.

Liga MX, the Mexican professional league, consistently gets U.S. television ratings above those of some American sporting events, including baseball on ESPN, hockey playoffs on NBC and even some March Madness games on TNT. The Mexican national team, recognizing a business opportunity, plays more of its “home” games in the U.S. than it does in Mexico.

Soccer in the United States is not just about one league. MLS is important, but so are Liga MX and the EPL (not to mention other European leagues, the Champions League and the World Cup). That so many soccer leagues get the attention they do in the United States is vindicating for longtime American soccer fans. Trends in sports preferences change over time (horse racing and boxing have steadily declined since their peak in the early 20th century), and soccer’s popularity has been increasing for years now and is likely to continue its growth.

Brazil’s World Cup is getting unprecedented attention from American media. ESPN has expanded its coverage of the tournament, bringing in top announcers from the U.K. to work the games, employing 11 analysts to give their takes and doing a six-episode documentary on the U.S. team as it prepares to head to Brazil. The sports media giant recognizes an untapped business opportunity in bringing soccer to a booming American base. Along with Fox Sports and Univision, ESPN recently purchased MLS television rights for $90 million per year through 2022. As ESPN president John Skipper put it, “It’s a futures deal. We’re buying pork bellies. We think they’ll become more valuable over time.”

The World Cup will wrap up on July 13, but, unlike before, soccer will go on in the United States. MLS is in the middle of its season. Liga MX’s begins five days after the World Cup final. The EPL returns in August. Many longtime American soccer fans wondered if the sport could ever truly make it in the US. Finally, it has. Can I interest anyone in some VHS tapes of the 1990 World Cup?

Soccer is most certainly on the upswing in North America but in Canada it will never be bigger than hockey and in the US Football, Basketball and Baseball will be bigger than soccer for the foreseeable future. While it may be growing in the 5/12 age groups it almost stops dead at the college and university level and there are very few organized intermediate leagues.

I coached in Canada for over 20 years – so I know a little about what goes on………….

It will undoubtedly grow but it will always play a small part in national sports in North America.

114. arnie says:

Motning, I mean afternoon, again.

What matters IMO is to find ways to reform grassroots football in the home nations so that they can compete at the world level. The rest of the banter, about who has football culture and which country does not, is a shambolic attempt at cultural imperialism. The fact is that football is the fastest growing sport in the US and in many other small countries such as Costa Rica. Even Qatar, if I may say so.

In the US, I know middle class parents now find football a safe sports for kids and encourage them to take it up. Like everywhere else in society big changes in social behaviour are led by women. American women have taken to football in a big way and are turning kids into aficionados in turn. Men are into more “manly” stuff. Like WWE? :razz:

England should focus on getting its kids on to the grounds, and get families involved in the game. How many women Gooners are visible in the Ems? Except for Peaches, Evonne, Irish and a couple more perhaps? The fact is that most kids in the home nations do not take up the sport at any serious level. Or any sports for that matter. This is a problem for society to sort out.

This rant is not political. :razz:

115. Bayonne Jean says:

Witnessed the match live yesterday. My takeaways:

– Otstanding, as always, from the Gooner crowd, which came from all over the states, Canada, Mexico, and even from the home soil!
    – Really just a glorified practice for the Arsenal. Hopefully the Austrian training sessions will go some significant way to getting players into the mood and into match fitness.
    – For all the accolades going Zelalem’s way, boy oh boy….the lad really is a boy, and would get chewed up if thrown into the deep end of the EPL pool. He really needs beefing and toughening up, which hopefully won’t take away from his footie skills and vision. For us stateside footie followers, remember teen wonder Freddy Adu? Same sorts of things could happen to Zelalem, but Wenger is the right type of manager to guide him along and place him properly for the needed seasoning.
    – Based on what I watched, biggest worry for the upcoming season is central defense. Started this match with Hayden and Nacho (?!?!) as the pairing. If anything happens to Mert/Kos, and if Vermaelen leaves, really, really short there…
    – Abou, Abou….looked OK, but to me he’ll always be “Mr. Glimpse”. Even yesterday, yes, he looked good, but there was always the odd misplaced pass or movement at the wrong time. Forever showing flashes but never quite putting things together for extended periods. He would be a huge plus if he could settle into the DM with occasional forward forays, but…..

116. Norfolk Gooner says:

Just watched Arsenal versus Notts County live on BT Sport (eat your heart out Eddie :D ) Arsenal leading one nil in injury time…final score one all, Deja-vue all ove again. Oh! It was Arsenal Ladies of course!!

117. Norfolk Gooner says:

This Callum Chambers signing is a bit odd, OK, he’s English but not cheap, he’s a right back and we’ve just bought Debuchy, so he can’t be first choice, it’s been suggested that he could eventually play at centre-back, but aren’t we in the market for one of those anyway?

A couple of clubs, Hull City for one, are interested in taking Jenkinson on loan, he has never really impressed me all that much, he seems a bit slow in the thought processes.

The New York trip was a Puma inspired money spinner, I suppose we will have to get used to that sort of thing in future, still if we want the money we’ll have to dance to their tune.

It seems Sanogo was injured so he didn’t go to NY, He’s beginning to look a bit of a liability so I don’t think we can let Campbell go unless he’s swapped for Balotteli.

Could we be about to sign Brazilian play-maker Douglas Costa for €25 million from Shakhtar Donestk, if so Cazorla could be sold.

Good post NG.

We keep hearing snippets about Santi who is one of my favorite players.Maybe it’s a “can’t settle in London” thing but hope note,but in all probability he won’t be with us long term.

So Liverpool out of the Remy deal as he didn’t pass his medical,so that makes him a cert for us :)

119. Norfolk Gooner says:

Kelsey, Cazorla has said a few things recently that have hinted at disatisfaction with his present lot, Athletico Madrid have “reportedly” shown an interested so he could go.

Oh no not Remy, please. Have a quick butchers at the old crystal ball and see if you can put the kibosh on that one. :D

It was meant to be a joke,NG :)

121. fatgingergooner says:

The Ospina signing is an interesting one too. He’s only 25 so not yet at his peak and looks real quality. It’s going to be really difficult for Wenger to keep him and Szscesny happy.

The Chambers one also seems a little odd, but maybe getting the pair of them for £15-20m was just too good an opportunity to pass up?

I’ve been calling for more squad depth for a while so can’t complain now it’s happening. It’s great to see us buying quality players who are at a good age and look like they have massive scope for improvement.

I follow Arsenal as obsessively as the rest of the people on here, I also read the Spanish sports papers fairly regularly and for the life of me I haven’t seen a single thing that suggests that Cazorla is unhappy.

Well, that is apart from on this blog !

I suppose the Chambers thing works if Jenkinson goes out on loan; if fact, it might work very well.

Maybe as others have suggested that this is the thinking behind his expected arrival.

124. fatgingergooner says:

LB,

I’m with you on Cazorla. Reports saying he will lose his place etc, but I haven’t seen us sign a LW as of yet. He’s a key player for us and will play 30+ games this season if fit. It’s important to have a squad and he’s a top player in ours.

I think Vermaelen is key to the Chambers signing. If he stays then Chambers will be RB cover, but if he leaves then worried about having Chambers, Miquel and Hayden as CB cover.

I think Vermaelen might be allowed to run down his contract and leave next year on a free.

125. Hi all

It would be nice if we had some topical posts this week, they don’t have to be long, so if anyone fancies putting pen to paper that would be fab ;)

Slim

I would be happy if the club allowed Vermaelen to run down his contract. It would give us a whole season with good back up for BSG and Koz and give up time to make the right choice replacement.

I don’t share your concern over Chambers being a replacement for Vermaelen, if the Belgian leaves I fully expect a far more experienced replacement to come in.

I am convinced that the only way that the Southampton man would come in is if Jenkinson agrees to go out on loan.

I know that Carl is Arsenal through and through but he needs regular football in the EPL and he is not going to get that this season at THOF, far better that he goes to another club for a season or two and if he does warrant a return, well what could be sweeter?

127. 26may1989 says:

What the buggery is going on? I thought the club always kept quiet before transfers were announced officially, but after Wenger speaking about Ospina ahead of his move last week, now he’s gone and done it again about Calum Chambers (from the Daily Telegraph):

“Arsène Wenger has said that he can understand the shock at the size of the fee – £16 million in total – that Arsenal are poised to pay for Southampton teenage full-back Calum Chambers.
    Chambers, 19, has agreed personal terms to move to Arsenal and has completed a medical. Wenger hopes that the defender, who has made just 18 Premier League starts, will justify the fee through his versatility.
    “He can play at centre-back, right-back and central midfield,” Wenger said. “I hope he will give us competition for the players in this three positions. He hasn’t played many games, no, but the English players on the market in England are very expensive and at the end of the day I was ready to take a gamble because he is a player for the future.”
    Chambers is the third Southampton youngster to have been snapped up by Wenger, following Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
    Arsenal have signed Mathieu Debuchy to replace Bacary Sagna and Chambers will act as back-up in the right-back position. He is likely to play initially in the Capital One Cup and FA Cup for Arsenal this season, and will provide stern competition for Debuchy in the Premier League.
    Wenger is positive that Chambers can have a similar impact to Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain, which persuaded the Frenchman to pay such a big fee. Chambers is tipped to break into the senior England squad, with the defence one of the positions Roy Hodgson is looking to strengthen.”

I can’t say I know Chambers well, but if Le Prof believes in him, that’s enough to make an enthusiast of me.

128. 26may1989 says:

But not as a 3rd choice CB just yet, let the lad learn his trade a bit more.

So even if Schneiderlin doesn’t leave Southampton, they’ll still have made about £90m. In football terms, it’s a shame to see the side of the year taken apart so ruthlessly; but in terms of the future of their club, if half of that money is sensibly invested, they’ll have gone a long way to securing the future of the club.

Morning all.

I haven’t doomed for a while so reading the above quote from AW re paying 16 million for Chambers, who apparently though has limited PL experience can play in three different positions,AW says it is a gamble.
    Now he may well turn out to be sensational but at this moment of time he is an experiment,and we don’t need players with limited experience unless of course we are still going to bolster the defence with a holding player this transfer period.
    Where that leaves Jenkinson is anyone’s guess.He is still learning but has marginally more experience than Chambers.

AW said he would buy three players and he has done so and the only quote I read was on the lines that if Vermaelen left he would go into the market again.

in drafts,peaches.check it over please.

131. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Why are we dooming over young Chambers, English, young, talented, and multi positional, What a great buy i say £16 million is not that much when you think that we passed up the chance of buying Cahill for 12. We needed Cahill at the time but couldn’t afford him, but is he worth more than 12 million now.

Arsene Wenger has seen the talent this youngster has, he knows that his value will sky rocket, and i feel that he has pulled off a great deal.

Hearing that we have signed Ospina has made me overjoyed Czez has a goalkeeper who will want that Number one spot, Czez has never been my favourite keeper, had it been me, i would have kept Fabianski instead of Czez, but the truth of the story is that Fabianski had waited too long and wouldn’t be a second fiddle behind Ospina.

Arsene has now increased the squad, the deadwood have been moved on and Wenger is in the process of separating the wheat from the chaf.

We have brought well in my opinion, but i would still like back up for Diaby as he wont last apart from that i am happy.

Morning

Like steve says, Chambers ticks the boxes, English, talented, and can play different positions.

My concern is that i have invested so much time in Arsenals finances that I have come to the stage were I cant shop in Tescos unless it complies with financial fair play

If you ever see a non stressed person in Tesco you know there oiled up. If they smile when they browse the meat counter, then there laughing at Platini, and are about to thrash you six one in the purchase of chicken legs.

There is something else. Its probably irrational, and i should really try and erase it from thought, but I cant. What if hes shit. You spend 16 million on some kid and he proves to be no better than Chris Kiwomya. Dosent bear thinking about.

This is why I have no friends. How do you know your new “friend” wont betray you? We all know your after my money.

But apart from all that, ime very excited about this signing.

oh dear, it is all very serious here this morning. Careful guys or DidIt will start talking formation and that’s just one step away from GiE explaining the FFP rules!!

I thought that GiE ran the marathon in Glasgow! Heard on the news that this guy who until recently was 16 stone and smoked 20 a day, now changed his lifestyle and is a marathon runner. I jumped, I know this bloke!! It has to be GiE!! No, it is someone very skinny, not nice at all

Seems like the Chambers deal is going to go ahead. As 26 says above: it is very unusual for Wenger to speak about a signing before it has happened but ahead it seems to be going.

In my book that only leaves one more possible signing and that, if it happens, will only come from Real Madrid’s annual summer sale.

Hahahaha, very good Evonne.

Can you imagine being a Southampton fan? Having to watch the decimation of you team over the summer must be terrible.

Still, once they have lost Chambers and Schneiderlin they should know where they stand. lol

138. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, C’mon LB who’s it going to be? The Oil Slick? Monkey Boy? Di Maria? Khedira? Or just Iker Cassilas? :D

139. We have a New Post …………………..

140. August says:

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?

I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to
    have you share some stories/information. I know my readers
    would appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free
    to shoot me an e mail.

141. dribbble.com says:

dribbble.com

Arsenal in New York – nah it’s all about Thierry Henry | Arsenal Arsenal

142. Anton says:

Genuinely no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of
    afterward its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here
    it takes place.