At last, you don’t have to leave Arsenal to find silver.‏

Morning Gooner’s

The title says it all, Arsenal players taste victory without leaving. Arsenal players were heavily involved in this last World cup even if they haven’t even donned our shirt, as Young Campbell proved, Ok he never went on to win the world cup but he played his part and opened our eyes into the possibility that he may just wear the red and white of Arsenal.

Mesut, Poldi, and Merts, 3 of Arsenals finest were in the German team that picked up the World Cup, the biggest trophy in world football and Arsenal football club is recognised once again. We also had many of our stars feature for their respective countries, maybe not getting to the final but good enough to be part of their squads.

Every player who takes up the sport, wishes that one day, they will be able to pull on their Countries shirt, that is the pinnacle of most footballers career’s. This year has been the first for some, and others got to taste it again. Arsenal footballers have in fact had a good season. winning the FA cup and featuring in other competitions as well, even looking to win some of them. Only a few of our players never got to kick a ball in Brazil but surely their time will come.

Theo Walcott stands out for me, a young lad who was introduced to World Cup football by Sven Goran Eriksson, a strange choice in my opinion when the lad had hardly done anything for Arsenal or his country, and had I been an English forward at that particular time I would have had the right hump with Mr Eriksson’s choice. Theo as it turned out, was only taken to a world cup for experience, he didn’t even play one game, and that was at a time when English strikers were thin on the ground. Maybe Eriksson was thinking of the future but as we know, Eriksson was moved on, and Theo has had another World Cup watching only. Theo will probably have one last chance but for a young man with so much promise maybe he’ll never get to play in a World Cup.

I also feel for Oxlade Chamberlain, injured for this world cup, but was in the squad, a little reminiscent of Theo really, there but not there. Both these players are very talented, but also injury prone, now if that does not change, they may never be included in World cup finals.

Arsenal has been in the doldrums for quite a few years, and although Arsène Wenger has pushed our teams as hard as he has, its only since player buying has improved that we are seeing a difference. The Premier league has attracted many fine players. Rumoured to be the best league in the world, and also paying wonderful wages. Arsenal’s debts have decreased and the money has started to become available, although we have a Manager that can find players and get the most out of them, we have also needed that Marquee player who make the cogs turn.

Mesut Ozil has been our first Marquee signing for quite a few years, and although his first season with us has shown his talent, he hasn’t exactly excelled. having said that he has helped Arsenal win their first trophy for years.I also feel he is pivotal for new marquee players to join. Arsenal are showing intent, in the space of a season we have 2 marquee signings, high wages and bonuses makes this an expensive intent, but I don’t believe we are finished yet.

Many asked for players during the last transfer window, and as I remember 3 or 4 was the preferred number. Wenger left it late in the window and caught a cold. He had hoped for Suarez but that fell through, what a buy that would have been, we offered £40m and a pound, a season later he is sold for £75m.

It has to be said that, in the past, we have sold very good players who have gone on to win trophies, but its also true that we also have a lot of youngsters who are also very good.  Gibbs, Gnabry, Theo, Ox, Rambo, Jack, Ya Ya and also not forgetting Joel, with the inclusion of Mesut and Alexis we are beginning to look like a young Germany. They have years of fruitful futures, and, not forgetting my own countrymen, so do we.  England didn’t have a good World cup but the potential is there for all to see.

Arsenal have become a side that can compete, with a manager who strives for success, a club with impeccable credentials and finance, we are going to turn heads without a shadow of a doubt. Arsenal are back and we intend to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Written by Steve Palmer

78 Responses to At last, you don’t have to leave Arsenal to find silver.‏

NG – from earlier comments – I don’t like most commentators, except for gorgeous Gary Neville. I can listen to him talking football 24×7.

“Arsenal are back and we intend to stay there for the foreseeable future”

Oh Steve, you certainly know how to push my buttons. Damn that’s so so true and sounds so so good.

Doomers and Realists OUT :-)

3. ai-zed says:

Oh yes Steve, we will most definitely be here for a long, long time!! still get goose bumps thinking of our attacking line up for the coming season, our manager truly is a patient visionary.

4. ai-zed says:

where’s everybody ?

5. ai-zed says:

I hope theo can go on & have his next seasons at arsenal largely injury free, he could potentially score goals on a ronaldo scale & I ain’t even kidding (that should get some people out). he has gotten frighteningly clinical for the arsenal & my mind keeps going to that game vs sunderland where ozil kept playing him through on goal (I think he really was surprised at the frequency of the clear cut opportunities presented to him). injuries are our biggest problem I tell ya!!!!! injuries!!!!

6. njstone9 says:

Here’s another couple of thoughts.

Arsenal lost a lot of players due to injury last season. Our rivals did not. So from that perspective alone, there is a lot of upside potential.

Secondly, we won’t be losing any major players in the summer and Ozil will be into his second season. More upside.

Thirdly we have significantly improved our striking options with Sanchez and Walcott (LANS).

Fourthly, our rivals have limited space in which to improve. I would argue that Sanchez and the return of Walcott will have a bigger effect on Arsenal’s fortunes than Costa and Fabregas will at Chelsea; Man City might be losing their best player; Man U are in decline and will find it hard to replace their ageing stars; Liverpool have lost their only star and will have to play in Europe this season, a burden they were not subjected to last year.

7. arnie says:

“we intend to stay there for the foreseeable future”. Wow, Steve. Brilliant. :) :) :) Yes, COYG.

On with the show. At least the semis and hopefully CL itself. That is the frontier. The downside is that some pundits have started putting the favourites tag in the EPL on Arsenal. We live to fight on!

However, one small niggle. Where is the disagreement? :razz:

I disagree with everybody about everything – including anything else you might have to say – happy now arnie?

9. arnie says:

GN5. :) Ah yes, finally, and I disagree with everything you have just said. I’m happy now. :razz:

arnie how can you possibly disagree with me being a disagreeable – its my privilege because I’m an ornery old fart and my disagreements supersede all others – so there!!! got it?

11. arnie says:

GN5. :) yes, Sir, got it! (bows down). :razz:

Stand up straight arnie – next thing is that people will think you are bent.

You give up way to easy – stand up and fight for your rights to disagree.

13. arnie says:

GN5. OK. now. Let me get this straight. I disagree with you being a disagreeable old fart, but agree that your disagreements supersede all others. :razz:

I agreed with your advice elsewhere last night. Top man. :)

14. arnie says:

hmm, hopefully only a rumour. :sad:

arnie, the advice elsewhere is based on a very bitter and ongoing personal experience.

arnie, I disagree with your 1:48 – just because I can.

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

Eddie, I have to agree with you about Neville, I couldn’t stand him as a player but he probably is the best of a bad bunch, but 24/7? Ten minutes more like! :D

A double bonus, for me, came this morning when I read the final column in, The Telegraph, written by Alan Hansen, who has also quit MotD. He at least had the grace to apologise to Theo Walcott for saying he didn’t have a football brain. I’ve always thought Hansen had a football for a brain, you can even see the scar on his forehead where an inflatated pig’s bladder was inserted to fill the empty void inside.

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, I don’t know which Telegraph that report is in, It certainly wasn’t in my copy this morning and there’s no sign of it on their website. However the same photo does appear but in the context of Wilshere’s “crime” of smoking. Just a wind-up I suspect.

19. the fact it was written by I P FREELY would indicate a hoax!!!!

20. ai-zed says:

i’d never let Jackie boy go, no matter what, that IS a rumour, but jack is going to have a lot to prove this season & a lot to fight for, especially if we sign another player in that midfield

21. arnie says:
  22. arnie says:

Yes, that must be usual twatter drivel. Shows how desperate some front bottoms are. :sad:

23. ai-zed says:

& njstone, I do agree with you, though it could be said that sanchez might also need time to adapt, but he won’t be under pressure to do so quickly give the options we have on the flanks (assuming that’s where he will play predominantly) with santi, poldi & the OX, MAN U on the other hand are losing experienced player & bringing in both inexperienced & non EPL players, that’s got to take some work. as for chelsea, i sincerely do not rate costa as much as many, and I hope man city lose YaYa

24. arnie says:

FGG,

Is I.P. Freely related to I.P. High who wrote “Hole in the Ceiling” or I.P. Nightly who wrote “Hole in the Mattress”

thanks Steve for another great post! Well done!

About Theo – he is 25 now and at his best (when not injured of course). Next world cup he will be near the end of his career. How sad is that – he missed Brazil of all the Mundials? Terrible. Just as well he is a sensible lad and can cope with the adversity.

Would he make a difference to the English side? I am sure he would, on his day he is unplayable. We are blessed to have him with his non-footballing brain playing for Arsenal. I have a feeling it will be his season….

Steve, with Theo and Alexis’ speed on the wings Ollie in the middle and Mersut supplying the killer passes we could a formidable forward line.

It really is an exciting time to be a Gooner – but we MUST sign another top class goalkeeper.

28. arnie says:

GN5. How can we get a top class GK to sit on the bench? Someone like Ospina already looks well beyond what we can get. Perhaps a ageing keeper like Schwarzer would be fine as well. And then there are a couple of guys in the Academy who are promising, I think.

On teh rest, I absolutely agree. Oh dear! :razz:

Can I just say I think Luis Van Gaal thought he was managing the other half of Manchester. Look at BBCSport website he is pictured in a blue blazer with a light blue white and light grey tie…..faux pas!!!

30. fatgingergooner says:

Am I right in thinking we only finished 7 points behind the leaders last year? Not bad to say the league was fully competitive until the final day AND we had so many injuries to top players at the wrong times. Getting Sanchez, Debuchy and (pray to Dennis) Khedira without losing any big players could easily see us add 10-15 points to our total.

31. arnie says:

FGG. Where is the disagreement? :razz:

GiE. :)

32. Vinay says:

Khedira still seems to be a an iffy. One for his exorbitant weekly wages and now that little pony shit called mou has stepped in to use his madrid charms on him again.

I wont lose my sleep if we dont get Khedira, but i will have nightmares if we dont buy a DM. I still think Bender/Schneiderlin will be adequate and good enough.

Debuchy unveiling tomorrow, Ospina soon. Great going Boss.
    DM and Remy and let the season begin.

Fantastic Steve

This is just my sort of post. Upbeat and just triumphant enough to scare off a potential girlfriend.

I am really excited about our future. Things are falling into place nicely.

A nice mixture of young British talent allied with top foreign quality is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Not sure about your last line though. It brings back memories of my ex wife leaving me with “ime not coming back, but I intend to take your money for the considerable future” These people that dont believe in black holes? They should have a look at my wallet.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

I will never hear the Church bells ringing again without smiling.

Upon hearing that her elderly grandfather had just passed away,
    Katie went straight to her grandparents house to visit her 95 year old grandmother to comfort her. When she asked how her grandfather had died, her grandmother replied, “He had a heart attack while we were making love on Sunday morning”.

Horrified, Katie told her grandmother that 2 people nearly 100 years old having sex would surely be asking for trouble “Oh dear” replied granny “Many years ago, realizing our advanced age, we figure out that the best time to do it was when the Church bells would start to ring. It was just the right rhythm. Nice and slow and even. Nothing too strenuous, simply in on the ding and out on the dong”

She paused to wipe away a tear.

“He’d still be alive today if that f- ing ice cream truck hadn’t come along”

Now read the post excellent stuff Steve the last time we had so many members of our squad winning the WC was the French team.

36. arnie says:

GN5. :)

all sorted now, I ditched the anti Arsenal BT :)

GN5 – you naughty man!!! Behave!!

I LOVE church bells ringing – it is the sound on my mobile assigned to our Peaches :)

39. chás gon salon says:

Cmon you Gunners.
    That post has reet fired me up.
    Back to stay now that the monkey is off the back.

Arsenal FA Cup Victory Parade

40. arnie says:
  41. Hey guys, I agree that Arsenal are ready to start picking up some silverware. Here’s my article on how I expect them to do it with Sanchez in attack! Please check it out and let me know what you think! http://footballcombinations.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/arsenalsanchez/

42. chás gon salon says:

If they can’t all wear black boots, they should all wear red and white boots.

43. chás gon salon says:

bbbb

Yes, good morning to you too.

Managed to slip out into the Atlantic for a few hours yesterday. That’s a proper mid week days’ work. Summer is ok, but surf is very poor so far.

BT Sport

We’re now back on BT Broadband since moving. Do we get free BT Sport?

Arnie

That’s a great clip of Theo, and a real reminder of what we missed last season. His close ball control is not too shabby :-)

So want to see this:

Ox Sanchez Theo
    ………Mesut

Chas gon salon?

If you look carefully at that pic of Andries Jonker, it does appear that he has two heads and a wonky left arm.

When is the draw for the CL to find out who we get in the easy qualifier?

Micky you get free BT sport. If you want it on TV you need Sky box or BTVision box, or you can watch via PC/Mac/Tablet/Phone

Who are we signing today and is it a good time to buy or sell a property.

What was all this bollox about Jack being transferred to Liverpool in the next 24 hours.

I actually think he is treading a very thin line and AW won’t stand for it.Will be interesting to see what happens as there is no doubt in my mind that he is a bit of a rebel with history.

micky,

I seem to recall giving you this info before, but you are such a taskmaster, you probably refused to look at it because it did not tell you who was going to win in 2015. Tsst.

Anyway, the DRAW dates for the 2014/15 CL.

First & Second Qualifying Round June 23, 2014. Winners go thru.

Third Qualifying Round July 18, 2014. Winners go thru.

Play-Off Round August 8, 2014. Arsenal in this round

Group Stage (Matchdays 1-6) August 28, 2014

Round of 16 December 15, 2014

Quarter-Finals March 20, 2015

Semi-Finals and Final April 24, 2015
    UEFA.com

The loo paper colour — well there will be no loo paper because of economies — bring your own — tell Raddy.

Thanks Exile. Free!! :-)
    I’ll let Eddie know immediately what she’s missing.

And, thanks RA. August 8 is in the diary. In bold. Underlined. With a star. And a memo. And have posted myself a letter as a reminder. Promise not to ask again.

Kelsey. While silly of Jack to be snapped on hols with City players (thanks 26), I cannot see any way Arsene will give him the boot, and buy and sell houses if it makes you happy, if it doesn’t, then don’t :-)

RA

I’m working on a full interpretation of your bog roll comment and the relevance to Hippies. Will get back to you if I crack the code.

micky – eddie is not missing £500 a year which she would pay to the Tottenham loving BT. There. From Monday I will have all the Sky sports and movie channels, broadband and landline for £40 a month less.

But what is most important to me, the Arsenal supporter is the fact that I punished BT for attacking AFC. I am truly surprised that all of you have not done the same.

Eddie

You’re talking to someone whose days of direct action are over. I simply couldn’t care less if someone doesn’t like Arsenal.

Although I suspect that had we thrashed Pool and Chavs 6-0 a piece, BT may have shown that in their ads instead, not that I’d care about that either.

Mind you, your deal sounds good, and that’s a good reason to switch :-)

You could be called First Strike Eddie :-)

ppsssssssssssshhhhhhh – action days over? That’s from someone who surfs in the Atlantic? No, sorry DidIt, you turned out to be a huge disappointment to me

59. arnie says:

motning all. nice and bright, so far.

Direct action, Micky? Are you a revolutionary? :razz:

Not the boot, but cold shoulder is not unlikely IMO. Conversely, there is the unthinkable. Could the actions have been to engineer a move?

Yes, we support the good guys 100% when they have the shirt on, but that does not mean that we are naive or condone mischief! :razz:

Oh do relax Eddie

Even with Sky, you’re paying BT as it comes down their shite cables.

However, it’s Mrs Didit you want to have a go at. She’s in charge of all domestic bollocks and signed up with the little snakes. Hate the company myself, and at the last house stuck up my own dish and had satellite broadband. Fantastic it was. Still have the dish, a long ladder, drill and four large rawl bolts ready to go. One false move from BT and whoosh, up it goes.

We need a site leader to guide us.

Do we need a conversation starter. Can help if pushed, but who’d stick it up?

62. arnie says:

Micky. A conversation starter will be good. The problem appears to be that the two of the three persons with admin rights are permanently Knot Ear. Only Peaches, and a bit sparingly as well.

Micky,

No relevance to Hippies in my bog roll comment, no relevance to anything really, just thought I would throw it in so that you and/or Raddish could return from your CL wanderings, of which I am seriously jealous, and tell me that I was wrong! :-)

64. arnie says:

have we signed Khedira, Schneiderlein, Debuchy, Remy? Yet? who is signing today?

65. arnie says:

I plan to send through my Olympics Mark II tonight. For whenever. :)

RA

CL wanderings are great. Downside being I have to spend every bloody morning being nice to Salon Chas.

67. 26may1989 says:

I posted summat to Madame Peaches and the Rt Hon Rasp last night – am hoping it gets put up soon…..

68. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, Khedira’s agent says he is not in discussions with Arsenal. Chelsea are chasing him though, Debuchy to sign today,

Sorry, ‘morning all.

69. arnie says:

Motning, Norfolk. Which means this is going towards an end-game. Arsene is brilliant in these games. It may draw all the way out to the end though. The crucial move is Kroos. :razz: We are not complaining. We are patient.

70. 26may1989 says:

Just suppose the chatter about Khedira is roughly correct (ie, Real have agreed a transfer fee of €20m to €25m with both Arsenal and Chelsea, and Khedira’s agent is now demanding big wages from either of the buyers). I’d predict we would win the battle IF the club agrees to pay Khedira the same as our best paid players plus a big signing-on bonus to reflect the fact that Khedira is now in the last year of his contract in Madrid and he could therefore cash in if he waits for a Bosman next summer. Purely in market terms (the money in football is entirely unjustifiable in terms of the real world), that would be fair, since the buying club is effectively getting a discount on what it would pay had Khedira been on a longer contract.

Will Arsenal be willing to put down that much money to Khedira? We shall see, but I reckon Chelsea and Arsenal look pretty similar to Khedira from a footballing point of view, so it will come down to the cash.

Right, just posted a starter

Oh 26

I’m going to be “done over” again :-(

Sent a post last week and got leapt frogged and binned. That’s it, I quit :-)

Agree with all that, other than we have more Germans. Arsene speaks the lingo (no idea how good SK’s English is) and we have his best mate in Mesut.

74. arnie says:

Who do Chelsea have? Schuurle, and that odious self-proclaimed Special One, and yes the dead Barca reject as well.

We have Arsene and 5 Germans, including Khedira’s cards playing mates Ozil and Poldi.

The choice is obvious, innit!

75. Norfolk Gooner says:

Kroos has signed a six year deal with Real Madrid so they will be looking to cash in on Khedira before he leaves next year on a Bosman.

If anyone with power is around, stick up the 26 post. It’s likely to be topical and well written. Mine is neither :-)

77. Sorry everyone ……… the doorbell rang ;)

We have a New Post ………………….

Don’t be so self deprecating, Micky. Your Posts are great too.

They are like buses – what is it the English say, you wait for ages for one, then two come along at the same time.

By the way, I did not realise you would be accompanied on your CL romps by Chás Gon Salon, but fear not he will look gorgeous by then — won’t he?? :-)