Arsenal’s next Captain

The other day LB wrote an interesting post entitled “Is Thomas Vermaelen still needed? This led me to think about the player as a captain and conversely the captain as a player.

Before looking at individuals in those roles I got to thinking just what should we look for in a Club Captain, note the capital letters, in my opinion the Club Captain is equally as important as The Manager, The Chief Executive or The Owner.

So the candidate should be of sufficient stature, not just in a physical sense, but in the status he holds in the game as a whole. To attain the necessary status he must have been around a while, he must be a good enough player to command a starting place in the club’s first team and preferably in his National side as well. He should also have earned the respect of not only his own team but also opposing players and particularly the on pitch officials. Needless to say he must also be media savvy, articulate and able to offer rational answers to irrational questions at times of both elation and disappointment in post match interviews for example.

tony adams

Looking back, I can recall Frank McLintock, sleeves rolled up barking out orders to players, organising his defence at corners and free kicks and generally running things on the pitch. Similarly with Tony Adams and of course Patrick Vieira. Arguably the best Captain I ever saw was the incomparable Bobby Moore, calm authoritative and respected throughout football.

Latterly the armband has been a bit of a poisoned chalice, not only at Arsenal but also at international level with England. Fabregas and van Persie were appointed only to depart shortly after, Vermaelen suffered both a shocking loss of form and a series of injuries and could soon follow the other two out of the club and there are rumours that Arteta could also go if someone of the stature of Khedira or Bender are signed. In the England team the captaincy has, disgracefully, been swapped around more times than at a kid’s game of pass the parcel.

At the moment it appears to me that should Vermaelen leave, the only rational candidate would be Per Mertesacker, but for how much longer can he command that starting place in the team? Longer term we can all hope and expect the appointment of Jack Wilshire, but will it happen?

What are your views on both the Captain’s role as, should it be largely ceremonial, tossing the coin, handing over a little pennant and posing for a snap with the officials or, as the Manager’s voice on the pitch and the players representative off it. Surely there must come a time when a stop is put to the absurd situation of referees being mobbed by a group of angry players, then only the Captain should be allowed to approach the officials, and that will require a calm sensible approach, one more attribute needed for the job.

Who should our next Captain be?

Written by Norfolk Gooner

78 Responses to Arsenal’s next Captain

Still the BFG for me.

There seems to be a confusion over his pace. His game does not rely on pace. That’s all you need to know. He is not a whippet who has to adjust his game as his legs get older and he slows down, if BFG slowed down he would literally be stood still. And that is when he will call it a day when he can’t actually move.

Because whilst he can read the game like a book sent page by page, his pace is a non issue.

Those pictures of Jack will not endear himself to Arsene or the fans, and the press seem keen to dig some dirt on the young lad.

Looking at that pic I was struck for the first time that maybe his future isn’t with the club. It’s not the smoking per se (who am I to judge?) there was just something I didn’t like.

Disclaimer ….. I doubt Arsene is too worried about Jack smoking occasionally, I haven’t forgotten the picture of Lolo and Eboue leaving a Christmas party a few years back and Lolo clutching a pack of Marlboro Red…..which is hardcore smoking in anyone’s book.

It’s the being photographed that will annoy Arsene, these lads have enough money to not be in the public eye “misbehaving”. It’s the unnecessary media intrusion that comes with incidents like that or Giroud in a hotel bedroom that Arsene will really hate. It’s a hard enough job placating the press pack when you’ve lost 5-1 away at Anfield, it’s harder still where you have to defend your players for extra curricular activities too.

As NG quite rightly says the captains armband has been a bit of a poisoned chalice in recent years and how do you define being a good captain.
    To me it is a leader who barks when required and commands respect from the rest of the team mates.
    Presently I don’t see anyone in the team that fills the criteria,we need a couple of nasty boys in the side and BFG isn’t one of them.

Hi, and thank you, Norfolk.

“Latterly the armband has been a bit of a poisoned chalice”

Afraid I don’t agree with that as I feel we simply have not had any real Captain material around for so long. Simply being the best player (Persie and Fabregas) does not necessarily ensure you have leadership qualities.

I think we all know the ideal type ie Club man through and through, definite starter, while being vocal, shouty and motivational. Adams, Terry and Gerrard being the best examples.

Ironically, in light of todays’ snaps of Jack, he is the only candidate-in-the-making in my book, but we need to wait and see if he “does a Rambo” and powers on to the next level.

In the meantime, if Verm stays, he keeps the job, and if not, then Per.

Blimey,In principle I agree with you Mr Marlborough :)

6. Per is ok for the moment but I really don’t really see him in the Captain role. He just seems a bit too timid to be the type to be barking orders all the time and concentrating on his game at the same time. I don’t think anyone in that list is able to take on the resposibility.Verm being on the bench was pointless having as Captain. So for me we neen to find someone to take over, McClintock, Adams, Viera are the role models! where do find someone like that? I’m really not sure, they don’t grow on trees.

Kelsey

“Mr Marlborough”…Exile, Arnie, Myself or even Crystals? :-)

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, my whole post could be made irrelevant by news that Vermaelen’s proposed move to Manure could be called off. It seems that Arsene’s preference would be not for a cash deal but “a player or players” coming in the opposite direction.

Now that’s a scary thought, not I hasten to add the idea of Thomas
    staying at Arsenal, but who we might get in exchange. One name stands out a mile, one Marouane Fellaini-Bakkioui, otherwise known as the useless, mop-headed Belgian mid-fielder whose disastrous performances since moving to Manure must have hastened Moyes’s exit from Old Toilet.

Is there any player at Manure that we would want? I still shudder at the memory of Sylvestre in an Arsenal shirt.

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Back later, the garden calls, grass needs cutting and the weeds in the veg patch are higher than the runner beans. :D

Norfolk-who’s-not-here

I still reckon Fellaini would make a top DM. I’m sure he said that was his preferred role prior to Utd move.

It’s strikes me as funny that people use Wilshere’s age as an excuse.

“He is only 22, what were you up to when you were 22?”

I know this is meant well but it seems totally misguided.

Jack Wilshere is a professional athlete for crying out loud and if he wants to be taken seriously he should act like one rather than an extra from a 1970’s episode of the Sweeny.

It is true what GIE says that he is a year behind Rambo in his development; that, by my calculation, gives him to the end of this season.

Wenger does not like this stuff. Look at Merson? One of the most home grown boys we had at the time — gambling? Bad influence? Gone.

David Bentley anyone?

12. 26may1989 says:

Still BFG – he had enough of the nasties to have an on-pitch pop at Ozil last season, seems to me he has what it takes.

I really hope we keep Verlmaelen though. I know that would likely come at the price of TV5 leaving on a free next summer, but he has a vital role to play, mainly as a CB but also as an alternative at LB and DM.

I know it’s galling for him, to be stuck behind Kos and Merts, having been a comfortable first XI pick. And unlike midfielders and attackers, those in defence aren’t likely to be rotated that much or play an important role from the bench, except when an emergency arises, so there isn’t much comfort for the ego in being a squad player when in defence.

But think back to those halcyon days when we had Adams, Bould and Keown – having three top quality CBs available was crucial in giving us the best defence around.

So even if it costs us £10m to keep Vermaelen, we should do it. And you never know, perhaps he could be convinced to sign another contract later on.

13. 26may1989 says:

I thought Wilshere said becoming a dad had made him grow up. Anyway, as LB says, at 22 a footballer is old enough to know about avoiding PR gaffes.

Not that big a deal in itself, but it says something about the lack of judgment in a player like Wilshere (and other English lads who seem unable to resist).

14. 26may1989 says:

As an Arsenal fan, that quote on the Tony Adams picture makes me feel warm and fuzzy. As a lawyer, it makes me shudder.

I initially ROLF’d at this “But I’m more worried that he thinks it’s ok to go on holiday with Man City players……..”

And then realized how serious the offence really is :-)

Also, had forgotten about Per having a go at Mesut, but also how he was credited with some of the defence stiffening that went on two seasons ago post Spud debacle.

16. chas mobile says:

Maybe the role of captain has lessened in importance since the days of Adams and before that McClintock.

Paddy Vieira certainly wasn’t in the same mould as the other two. Imagine being shouted at in English by someone with a French lilt. You wouldn’t be able to take it seriously, would you?

I went for Szcz anyway.

17. Vinay says:

I choose Ramsey, nothing against BFG but if we are looking at a player who we want to stay long and be valued, i think he suits the requirement. Ramsey may not turn out to be a one club player but captaincy is not new to him, he was afterall the wales captain. He is someone i believe who will become even better with the responsibility.

Cheers Norfolk

I chose Theo

The days of threatening someone from a scaffold and bragging that you have had loads of birds in your white van are over.

People look at Theo and just because hes skinny and intelligent think he cant be a leader.

Yet the guy is a total professional, excellent role model, and if rumours are to be believed, can mix it with the best of them.

He would represent the Club well, both on and off the pitch.

The fact he cocks his finger when drinking tea or finds the cry of oy oy saveloy distasteful should have no bearing.

19. 26may1989 says:

Oh bollocks, now Cashley Cole has said something I agree with:

“English players are probably afraid to come abroad, they’re in a comfort zone in England,” said the left-back.

Only one of England’s 2014 World Cup squad – Celtic keeper Fraser Forster – does not play in the Premier League.

Cole said the move to Serie A gave him the chance to “try a different language, culture and way of living”.

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

Bloody hell Terry, I was just sipping from my mug of builder’s brew, when I read “The fact he cocks his finger when drinking tea or finds the cry of oy oy saveloy distasteful should have no bearing” It made me choke on me Tetleys. :D

21. Norfolk Gooner says:

26, he has to be right, foreign clubs will buy even mediocre players with EPL experience but seldom do any of them show an interest in English players.

You know I sometimes wish for a bit of a disagreement just to enliven things a bit, and NG you little darling you have come to the rescue!!

First, thank you for the Post, it is interesting and well written – but I do not agree with it.

The captaincy role is very limited nowadays, and the reason for that is the other players are so overpaid and also very well aware of their value on the transfer market.

That has made them immune to irascible managers, because the players know the club would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces if they are heavy handed in disciplinary matters – and the captain is in an even more difficult position in that respect.

The best teams are self regulated in that being told to shape up or fcuk off by your team peer group is a far more effective way to get a player to cut out the errors, or to stop showboating.

I have voted for Aaron as a putative captain, as the only other way for a captain to influence others in the team is to lead by example – and he does – and would in the future.

Thank you, again, NG for giving me an opportunity to disagree with everyone. :-)

While I am about it, I must also register my disagreement with Exile and both of his opening comments.

It should be said that it is rare indeed for me to disagree with such a well respected colleague and friend.

The observation that we are confused about Per’s pace while going on to say that if he went any slower he would be stationary seems to show a high degree of focussed agreement.

Pace is important at all levels and in all positions, and the recent Germany team selections for the semi-final and the final reflect that.

It is clear that Per’s international career is coming to and end as he approached 30 and his speed is in terminal decline.

He is a master at reading the game, and if he was not he would never have had such a fantastic career, and it cannot be denied that much of the game is played in the head.

But there can be few Gooners who do not recognise that without Kozzer to rescue the situation when Arsenal are up against a speedy forward, our favourite German would have struggled.

The trouble is that the game is becoming faster with many more pacey players, and there is only one Kozzer.

I am sorry, Exile, but I cannot believe you think there is any confusion about that, or that his lack of pace is a non issue. :-(

The hue and cry over Jack and his smoking a cigarette has to be separated from the individual.

Over the years there have been many, many players from every club who have been caught behaving inappropriately, including infamously the former captain of Arsenal.

I recall AW saying on a previous occasion that it was not the smoking he objected to, but the public display of that activity as it would encourage youngsters who saw Jack (and other players) as iconic role models.

He said such behaviour should be conducted in private at home, or in a hotel room.

So it was not what Jack was doing that was the big deal, it was the bad public image or PR as we have come to know it, that was the ‘bad’ thing, both for himself and the club. Tut, tut.

I cannot imagine what it must be like being treated like a goldfish in a bowl by the world’s media – and the snitches out to make a few dollars – which allows everyone with an axe to grind, or wishing to moralize about over-paid, care free, sexually loose young men.

It makes me cross that Jack has allowed himself to be portrayed as a louche, rather stupid young man, on holiday, not because I could care less about his smoking (I have always been a non-smoker), neither do I care about those who dabble in a little extra-curricular sexual activity – it is none of my business – but I am unhappy that he is allowing the club, through his public activities, being pilloried as employing ill disciplined, miscreant players. Phooey.

The blog has gone quiet – well I’ll be off then and join the illustrious Knot Ears. :-)

26. 26may1989 says:

Easy to read too much into these things but the new player pics on arsenal.com all feature the players wearing their new Puma shirts, except Campbell, Zelalem, Coqeulin and Djourou. We know the last of those is on his way but can we assume that the other three are going out on loan (at least) as well? Do Arsene and Ivan just not want to waste a photographer’s time on them??

From BT

Hello Iwona,

We are sorry that our TV Ad has offended you, that was not our intention. The game between Arsenal and Liverpool was one of the unmissable games shown on BT Sport last season. It is part of a wider campaign across TV, posters, press etc. featuring a number of the biggest games & moments on the channel. There are more adverts to follow, one of which is launching tonight on TV – this is a montage of games, featuring Arsenal goals & a great save (see link attached). We’ll also have a number of other ads featuring specific games to follow:

BT Sport is a proud partner of Arsenal and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is one of our top ambassadors. We have just announced today that we’ll be screening a number of Arsenal games next season, including the Emirates Cup, Arsenal meeting Manchester City twice (in the Community Shield & again in the Premier League on 13 September). We wish the club well next season.

I will pass on your instruction to cancel to your service to my colleagues. Is it only BT Sport you wish to cancel? If so can you please provide me with your account number?

Best Wishes
    Gary Wilson
    BT Sport Content Complaints Manager | BT Consumer.

what do I do now??? Do I get Sky or TalkTalk? Any opinions?

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all,
    Just walked in so have not read any of the comments yet, Very good Post Norfolk, Yes the armband is a bit of a problem and if i speak the truth there is no one in the team i would give the armband to. Virmin i wouldn’t have give it to him in the first place but seeing how he has it at the moment then why change things, should he leave personally i feel we need to replace him with a brought in Captain, i don’t go for all this so and so deserves it milarky. Captains have to have a certain thing about them they need control and a steady head they need to speak good English as the Referee’s in the premier are English speaking. They need to be able to say exactly what they mean to referee’s and to television and they need the respect from the players.

Many i am sure are pushing for BFG and i imagine some might even go for Wilshere or Rambo Arteta is on his last legs as of Rosiski so we can forget about them. BFG i would like to see replaced, now i know i won’t be popular with that statement but i don’t rate him. Kosi is best left alone so i see none of the squad capable of doing the job in hand. Should Virmin go its a good time to bring a strong DF or CB that also has authority.

BTW – BFG for me

Eddie, Oh Eddie, what have you done.

Now that BT Sport are going to come over all Arsenal, you’re going to miss all the great FREE games

Never ever start a fight you aren’t sure you’ll win.

Wise Man say that :-)

32. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I can get you Sky half price if you want it.

fgg – I want

Micky – I had to do it. Today they have released a second ad featuring our defeat at Stamford Bridge. This is a deliberate campaign to upset the Gunners

I will finish the fight, don’t you worry about that. I am not going to pay almost £1000 a year to any Arsenal hater

Eddie

Here’s the plan. Next season we stick six or seven past Pool and Chavs :-)

36. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I just need your name and email address and I can send you a code. My email is joe.newsome@hotmail.com.

listen DidIt, this is not a laughing matter. my plan is to get as many Gunners as I can to quit BT, that will learn them!!

Did I tell you how I asked Amazon to close my account when they were still selling the nasty chant for Wenger? They tried to pacify me, but no way, I closed the account, end of. Few months later I forgot all about it, wanted to buy something from the Amazon and could not understand why I couldn’t log in :) Ejeet :) BUT they did stop selling the despicable verse. Not because of me, of course, but I’ve done my bit. And I suggest you do the same.

thanks fgg, mailed you already

39. chás says:

No idea if this is true.

40. chás says:

Whoops……this should have said ” From the twitter of the senior marketing manager at BTSport… ” above it.

chás,

You have me believing it!

FO You Spuds!!

[Are you related to our chas?] :-)

RA

It’s Chas’ sleezy Cousin from Chile

By the way, not here

Micky,

Don’t call me a Knot Ear — or else.

Else

Happy?

Leave Else out of this, or else Else will ask what else is there. Is this all? Is this it? Is there nothing else?

46. Norfolk Gooner says:

G’night all.

47. omgarsenal says:

1) The captain’s physical presence is far less important than his example to other players on and off the pitch. Per is so tall that he is also very visible but someone of Sanchez’s stature would do well also.
    2) The Laws of the game already prohibit ANY player from approaching the referee or assistants, WITHOUT the permission of the referee. He or she may allow the captain to politely request an explanation for a call but NOT confront, contest dissent or abuse the referee or assistants in ANY way. That also applies to the substitutes and management.
    3) The captain should be a classic Arsenal leader: dignified, passionate, non-violent, respectful of all players,officials and management, an example to the fans in good or bad times, Law- abiding, dignified in victory and defeat and a hero at all times.
    4) I disagree that it is necessarily essential or ideal for him to be a capped international or even a first team regular. It is , of course better that he be on the field than off it but since the armband is given to the assistant when the captain is substituted,it isn’t an issue.
    5) I feel the assistant captain has to be of equal stature to the captain because he can be called upon at any time to lead. As well he can add to the authority of the on-field captain by supporting him and encouraging his teammates to join in.

England surely could have benefited from a captain with courage and conviction like Tony Adams or McClintlock….instead they got Woy and his band of merry misfits…..none of whom EVER showed the slightest interest in leadership or even commitment. What a shame the young players like Jack and Sterling had to be humiliated by such an experience. the lesson they learnt was NOT to take england seriously.

I’ve knot been ear all day.

Anyway for what its worth Captain’s are a thing of the past – just like the old 1 – 2 – 3 – 5 line ups. Adams was a one off, just like Roy Keane at Man U – characters like them come only once in a lifetime.

49. arnie says:

sorry chums, and sorry Norfolk, Knot Ear all day. But absolutely brilliant post and great comments. :)

I voted for Verms. I am sure most will agree that it looked a great decision to give it to Verms when the barsteward stabbed us in the back. Verms has acted with dignity, on and off the field. In the public domain is for all to see. It must have been frustrating for Verms to sit on the bench. But never once has he come out to the press with any disrespectful or negative or unfair comments. A truly fantastic example.

But the main role must be on the training ground, in strategy meetings and most importantly in the dressing room. His contribution there must have been impeccable as well, otherwise, there are some in the team who sometimes speak with their ass, so the press would have known. I suppose you all know the types I am talking about. So, impeccable record.

Happy to see him continue. He is the captain, he should lead by example, if he leaves the club, we are in some shit. Dont know what happens then. Perhaps BFG but that will be very short term. Rambo in the long run for me. :)

50. arnie says:

Micky. :) for comments this morning. Dark and colourful past, better leave it aside.

Peaches, GiE, any admin who is Knot Ear: Please remove FGG’s email from here. You never know. :razz:

51. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha

52. arnie says:

take care, GN5. :)

53. chás says:
  54. chás says:

Mostly pillocks

Chas here, or Chas gon salon?

Arnie

“Micky. :) for comments this morning. Dark and colourful past, better leave it aside”

I am so, so pleased :-)

Never did have you down in my dull file :-)

57. chás says:
  58. chás says:
  59. chás gon salon says:

Motning, Sir Michael DidItry the Third.
    Me gone now (not to salon, tho’)

Well there’s a surprise — the normally feisty NG and Exile have allowed my comments to go unchallenged!! :-)

Two very cultured gentlemen. [I had better watch my manners]

right then, BT are really upset!!!! ha ha ha ha!!
    I had 3 phone calls BEGGING me to stay
    And when I told them that a friend Gunner helped me to get half price Sky they panicked :) Told them that the Gunners will gang up on them now!!

They tried to explain that those were the most exciting games of last season!!!! Exciting for whom, the Gunners?? I asked him (as politely as I could) if he really thinks we want to relieve those moments?

COYRRG

62. fatgingergooner says:

Well done Eddie!

I cancelled BT Sport towards the end of the season because I thought their commentary was dreadful. Owen going on about how we wouldn’t finish 4th in that boring tone of his! He’s already come out and said the same for this season. He’s a mug.

Not going to bother this year. Will be interesting to see what happens next year as they will probably start charging to cover cost of CL rights.

BT have a pot of money they can’t spend* so I doubt they will start charging in first year, and as they have secured both ITV and Sky’s matches they have to show some games free to air.

I’m not sure what Sky are playing at with their new European Football channel yet, something in the small print said signing up for it meant a two year extension to contract which means that you would continue having to pay for Sky Sports even though their offering would have reduced.

* BT could probably halve their Broadband and Phone packages cost tomorrow if not quarter them and still make a profit but a Monopolies and Mergers ruling sometime ago restricts BT from undercutting their rivals until the competition has gained some parity in the market place, problem is so many of their rivals offer such appalling support (TalkTalk for example) that customers head back to BT and they are stuck in a loop. On top of that they make more money as very few homes and networks are served by non BT infrastructure so even when you get your broadband from Sky you are paying BT because Sky have to rent capacity from BT. So if Sky can offer such cheap deals it’s because they are not paying BT much for the capacity, the charge BT make to Sky could instead be made direct to the customer. Basically Monopolies and Mergers is actually preventing us the customers from getting the best deal.

well done to you too ginga :)

BT offered my huge discounts, but I told them it is not about money, but about principles. I thank them for great services and added that I love Arsenal more than I love BT, hence au revoir :)

do you think they will remove those adds if more Gunners rebel?

GiE – does that mean that you are still with BT and are using long words to disguise the fact?

66. gie,

the sky sports 5 channel is free with the sky sports package. There is no contract, The one you refer to is linked to a free broadband offer that is running at the moment, but thats optional.

Morning

Interesting you can get 50% off the Sky package FGG.

I have the whole package of land linE wifi and Sky Sports and one or another invariably goes wrong.I threatened to cancel and then after over a dozen visits by Openreach things still didn’t improve and I got a discount on everything for what Sky call intermittent faults,but not 50%

68. Kelsey, Its only for new customers unfortunately, Sorry!

So weve agreed a fee for Khedira apparently.

I can already hear Shaqira’s Hips Dont Lie, being changed to Khedira, Khedira!!!!

69. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, RA, what a boring world this would be without disagreement. :D

Eddie, when it comes to commentators and pundits are the BT muppets any worse than the Sky or BBC variety? Frankly I can’t stand listening to any of them, so I don’t. I don’t watch the “build up”, I don’t watch the half-time drivel and I don’t watch the post match inquests.

I do like watching football, purely for the football, I have had BT Broadband for a number of years and I’m relatively happy with it so I shall renew my subscription and continue to receive free acess to the sports channels, it’s good value for money.

GIE, thanks for the warning about Sky Sport 5’s small print, I’ll think carefully about it before deciding to activate the new channel, especially in the light of a notification that my subscription is going up by £3.50 a month.

70. Norfolk Gooner says:

FGG, I read late yesterday that Khedira’s wage demands were too high and the deal was off.

71. Motning all,

I’m a “Knot Ear” (copyright MDi89) but have to say I/m impressed by Eddie/Ev/WB putting BT SPoirt in their place.

You go girl !

72. Just noticed I don’t have admin rights anymore – so typos abound.

73. arnie says:

motning all. a perfectly enjoyable morning’s worth of fun and bollix. :) what’s not to like?

well done Evonne. On twatter, people are calling for mass boycott of BT Sport. :)

We have a New Post ……………….

75. cwsurf.de says:

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very
    soon!

76. sex says:

Hi to all, as I am genuinely keen of reading this website’s post to be updated daily.
    It consists of fastidious data.