Arsenal to appoint a new captain

Arsène Wenger is reported to be ready to appoint a new club captain. With the departure of the present incumbent, Thomas Vermaelen, looking ever more certain the position needs to be filled. Thomas has apparently agreed terms with Man U, although so far no negotiations over a fee have taken place.

What should we be looking for in a captain? Well first off he must be an established and regular starter. He needs to command the respect of the players as well as the fans and he must have sufficient standing within the game to be able to communicate calmly with the on-pitch officials.

The two most influential captains that Arsenal have had in their long history have been Tony Adams and Patrick Vierra and so in my personal opinion any candidate would ideally be a centre-back or defensive mid-fielder and thus be in a position to see the whole game.

Our current vice captain, Mikel Arteta is an obvious candidate but as the appointment must be a long term one he perhaps is ruled out.

So I guess what I am saying is that it comes down to just two possibilities, Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker. Koscielny is a fine player and would make an equally fine captain but overall I’d go for Mertesacker for his general calmness and the stability that he has brought to the team.

I know that a good number of people will be calling for Jack Wilshire to be given the job but as yet he can’t command a regular starting position, although in time I expect him to become our captain and to hold the post for many seasons to come.

Written by Norfolk Gooner

166 Responses to Arsenal to appoint a new captain

Ah ha Norfolk

Let’s start guessing the margin of the German’s victory. I’ll set the ball rolling and say 98% :-)

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning micky, I don’t think this one will go to a penalty shoot-out. :D

Thanks peaches for adding the poll.

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

Blimey! only two comments and one of those was mine, but already we’ve got sixty-one votes. Eat your heart out Nigel Farage :D

4. […] article has been curated from Arsenal Arsenal for your reading pleasure. Please visit Arsenal Arsenal for […]

I am still laughing at Urugay :-D

Will now read the post – thanks NG

6. ai-zed says:

okay, quick (very quick drop by, been busy as hell…..lots of animals need care of late)…interesting subject this captaincy one…..per would be just fine as he already unofficially is anyway. I personally would love to see theo one day with that armband, influential!!!

7. ai-zed says:

now to vote…..

I like to think long-term and would vote for Ramsey.

The man has already captained his country, is a natural leader and is the hub of the team.

My concern is that we seem to have a habit of losing our captains and losing AR as opposed to BFG or MA would be damaging.

So, in light of this perhaps it is best to give the armband to Arteta.

80% of 500 votes have already said Mertesacker but I honestly don’t think there is one player who ticks all the boxes.

The definition of “captain” means one thing to one person and something different to another.

Some great sides have had a keeper or a centre forward as captain, though logically I would agree someone like Kos and Mert play in a position to read the game more.

Gibbs is now our longest serving player but I doubt he would get a vote.
    My choice would be Ramsey who has already captained his country.

As an aside I have just put the phone down to dandan’s wife who is composed and is coping quite well and though she doesn’t read the blog anymore sends you all her good wishes.

snap :) Raddy

586 votes now Norfolk!!!

Fess up, who voted Theo?

Another thing to consider is native accent. I mean, who are you more likely to “yes, skipper, straight away boss”, someone with a German accent, Welsh, French or “Other”?

Let’s be honest, if you are given orders by a German, you’ll probably not question them and crack on, whereas someone French, Spanish or Italian and you’re more likely to “are you sure?” them.

Hey Crystals,

Don’t know if you caught Raddy’s last comment on the previous post, but looking at the new fixture list, he mentioned a “doom cluster”. Any thoughts? :-)

Must disappear for a while, but will look back in.

13. 26may1989 says:

I’ve always thought el capitano has to be a centre back or a central midfielder. Anyone else is either too much on the fringe of play or has to be a bit too selfish in what they do on the pitch. Experience, authority and dignity all matter too (though I will admit occasional youngsters like Adams and Terry function well in the role).

Has to be the BFG or Kos. Kos is the better player and would make a very good captain, but the BFG has a little bit of something extra that makes me think he’s the obvious one.

Not that I believe Vermaelen is going to Man U, that’s a load of tabloid rubbish.

Cheers Norfolk.

14. nelson says:

OZIL! IT WIL HELP BRINGOUT D BEST IN HIM

15. Vinay says:

I was tempted to click Ramsey but then better sense prevailed and clicked on Per, Aaron will get it in due time but right now its quite an easy choice, BFG

16. Mintaro says:

Per is my choice for the Captain. I can recall when Wales made Ramsey the team captain and his form for his country dropped. Still young and need to focus on developing his game.

17. Magneto says:

FYI…Patrick Vieira was not a so called defensive midfield player whilst playing for the Arsenal.

He was a complete midfield player, one of the very best English football has ever seen, and is likely to see.

It really doesn’t do him justice, and is somewhat insulting in my book, to refer to him as a mere defensive midfield player.

In terms of who should be Captain…if and when a vacancy occurs, I’ll back Arsene’s judgement on the matter.

18. fatgingergooner says:

BFG….for now. In future i suspect it will be Rambo or JW10.

Wilshere isn’t everyone’s favourite player at the moment, but you only have to look at Rambo to see how quickly that can change. In 18 months I expect JW10 will be on a par with Rambo, and the fact he’s Arsenal through and through might give him the nod.

Also, don’t forget TPIG. Another true gooner who could well be improved by captaincy.

19. fatgingergooner says:

Not sure wether fixtures are good or bad. We don’t have any groups of tough games like last season, but at least that allowed us to be consistent as we played lesser sides one after another.

This year the tough games are mixed in with the easier games which may mean we find it harder to put runs of wins together.

I suppose in the end we all play the same 38 games.

Norfolk, you said..

“The two most influential captains that Arsenal have had in their long history have been Tony Adams and Patrick Vierra ….”

Indeed!

I offer 5 other possibilities for consideration.

Tom Parker (Played from 1926-1933)
    Captained our club to our 1st Fa Cup win in 1930 and our 1st League Title in1931.

Eddie Hapgood (1927-1944)
    Became our Captain after Parker and was Captain for 4 League titles and 1 FA Cup and England Captain for 21 games.

Joe Mercer (1946-1955)
    Captained us to the League in 1948 and FA Cup in 1950.

Frank McLintock (1964-1973)
    Was Captain for our 1970 Fairs Cup vicory and our 1st League and Cup double.

Pat Rice (1967-1980)
    Captained us to 4 FA Cup Finals, winning just 1 against Man U in the 1979 Final.

21. Norfolk Gooner says:

GN5, perhaps I should have transposed the first two words of the third paragraph and interposed the word “of”.

Great topic for debate NG. Like most, its a no-brainer for me …. BFG every time. He is already captain by proxy and he takes responsibility. I haven’t been a fan of the ‘let’s make the wantaway star player captain strategy’, because when they leave, it makes it all the more painful.

And I agree we should leave Aaron to develop his football without burdening him with extra responsibility.

Hi Norfolk,

I was not being critical, just offering up 5 other candidates. I had a draft article about Arsenal Captains but never did bother to finish it.

I don’t speculate on hypothetical possibilities so I didn’t vote – no offense intended – just the way I think. But regardless of whether Vermaelen leaves or not in my opinion the best Captain material we have is Per Mertesacker

While I recognize that each team eventually has to play every other team twice it always irks me that Man U always seem to be given an advantage.

Just take a look at their first 6 games in 2014/15,

Swansea
    Sunderland
    Burnley
    QPR
    Leicester
    West Ham

Their 1st real opposition is not until the 1st game in October when they play Everton.

Talk about giving them a flying start – I ask Ya!

25. Shard says:

GN5

Which also fits in well with my (conspiracy) theory of Moyes only being a patsy for them and the league to remove from memory their reliance on ‘good luck’. :)

Arsenal face away trips to Villa, Chelsea, Sunderland, Swansea and West Brom after the CL group games. That is if we make it that far by qualifying over the two legs, after each of which too we face away trips to Everton and Leicester.

I bet ManU will have most home games after their CL games.. Oh..wait.. Never mind.. :)

26. LBG says:

Norfolk, GunnerN5 stole my thunder. Frank McLintock has to be rated as one of the best with Tone and Patrick. (He would get in alongside Tone in my all-time best Arse team of players I have watched live). My Dad was a great Mercer fan, but didn’t see him myself. Frank however, was a true old-fashioned, no nonsense, motivator with the “I’ll show you” skills of the centre back converted from midfield, to do it.
    BFG for me. Respect, heart, wont take shit from those who think playing for the Arse is “a job”. and when he lifts the Cups in years to come, we will all be able to see the trophies!! As long as we can get a ticket.

GunnerN5 – NEW SEASON, NEW “REAL OPPOSITION”.

27. 26may1989 says:

Hold on there with your conspiacy theories – United might have a cushy start to the new season but they pay for it with death clusters later on: in October and November, they have Everton, Chelsea, City and us in the space of six games; and then in March and April, they have a run of Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City, Chelsea and Everton.

Which is a bit like the season we just had – soft start (that’s how I won my bet with Rasp about us being top at the end of Oct :) ), but then death clusters.

I know GN5’s point is that United will be up and running by the time they hit the tough games, but sometimes it’s the minnows you don’t want to face at the beginning of the season.

Norfolker,

A nice idea for a Post and although there will be many opinions I suspect that many fans will look not just at the attributes of any given player, but also at the implications involved in the of appointment.

You have already mentioned that the players position is key, and then there is the question of his temperament, and how the other players will respond to his appointment, or whether the captain is expected to be the coach’s mouthpiece on the pitch, simply carrying out the instructions he has been given, or to have the balls to show leadership both on and off the pitch.

OK – my vote was Per.

[Be careful how you say your avatar name with the friendly 'er' added] :-)

You know wiining the title at United,followed by regaining theCup and then winning the CL all in under two weeks is quite feasable and the good news is that the money just keeps rolling in.

10 million from the Vela sale about 5 million from the Cesc sale plus what we are still owed for Cesc and Song, will it ever end :)

30. Shard says:

26may

I was kidding. Not about the theory, just that the facts fit as neatly as that :)

ManU will definitely be a contender, especially with no European football. Their death clusters will have ample amount of rest in between (although I haven’t checked their fixtures) The difference the extra time for rest and preparation makes is huge.

Robben would be good on the left!

Lets hope that the cash does keep rolling in Kelsey. I feel it will take the next two or three transfer periods for us put together a “dream” team. We will need to open our purse strings and pay for the best players and not just future potential.
    AW will want at least the PL championship and have his heart set on a CL title before he signs off.

4.29 No-one can call kelsey a doomer now ☀️

26M,

I did notice that they also had a few difficult periods in their schedule, but I figured that an easy start would take the monkey off of their backs. It seems that the FA give them every advantage possible. I don’t want to think that their is a conspiracy but sometimes their “luck” is too incredible to believe.

RA,

He must have got out of bed a different way, he will be back to the old Doomsey before you can blink.(LOL)

36. willc88 says:

It’s got to be the BFG. Also hoping we get our mitts on Benzema this summer!

37. etfaust says:

Has to be Mertesacker. Wilshere isn’t ready nor nearly reliable enough and Ramsey had his struggles with the Welsh captainship at too young an age. Here’s my take on the vermaelen situation http://wildamericangooner.com/2014/06/17/arsenals-thomas-vermaelen-problem/

Very entertaining game.

Come on the Orange

39. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, Norfolk. :) :) :) and a poll as well. Well done.

I voted Rambo. Yes, he was scapegoated in Wales, but he is the future. A young-ish team developing, we want a young committed leader.

Cheers, NG.
    Anyone but Ramsey for me.
    Let him play unencumbered
    Per is a captain on the pitch regardless of whether he wears the armband or not.

A great game to watch.Cahill scored a fantastic goal.Feel for the Aussies.
    Hate to say it but RVP still looks world class.

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank McLintock, in fact spent the whole evening at a diiner sitting next to him.A charming man and that was about 6 years ago and even then he said Arsenal need a Tony Adams type player in the side.

crystals
    It’s patently obvious that you absolutely love saying bsr still looks world class. It’s classic doomsey behaviour.

He’s only world class because Arsenal Football Club made him that way. He would have been shit if he’d gone anywhere else, just a poor excuse for a winger. Arsene remodelled him as a striker then he took a great big dump down Wenger’s back.

Chas. Same as DB, TH, Bobby, Paddy, Cesc etc etc.

Only world class because of AW

no chas
    it’s because I wish we would have kept him.Of course it’s all down to AW.
    If you call me a doomer once again I will get my feather duster out.

Next season Giroud will be as good as the dutch bloke.

47. VCC says:

GN5……12:17……Frank McLintock, all day long.

Haha, is it pink?
    I didn’t call you a doomer, just a name you yourself suggested. :)
    How could we have kept him when the little boy inside him was screaming, “One more huge contract”?

Very true, BR.
    They were all rubbish until they came to THOF.

Chas. Absolutely. None of our world class players were considered so before they came to AFc, apart from Ozil and Eboue

51. arnie says:

B$R was world class when he was at THOF, the moment he left, he joined hands with the also rans. Likewise Cesc.

Need proof? They played in the finals last time round, this time will be another matter. It will be our German Gooners and French Gooners. :razz:

Arnie. It could be Chelsea and Spurs Brazilians and Belgians 😡

53. arnie says:

Raddy. Could be. No problems with that. But they were bought in, not developed in-house. It will certainly not be the deserters, not the disgraceful ones anyway.

Dont worry Raddy, next time I will support Holland. When BSR is no longer a member of the team! :razz:

54. fatgingergooner says:

Diego Costa is ruining this Spanish side.

They used to play 6 in midfield and outnumber teams. It forced them to play the short passing game and they were brilliant at it. Having Costa means they are too direct and easier to close down in midfield.

Looks like Santi Cazorla is coming home early

56. Chile should be out of sight shouldn’t they?

Thinking about Cesc to Chavs. They will have a midfield of Mikel, Matic, Cesc, Hazard, Willian, Ramirez, Schurle and Oscar.All great players apart from Mikel.

Why I bring this up is that Cesc was signed despite them having a brilliant midfield with no place for half of them. Essentially Merinho signed him because he is a wonderful player and adds to his squad.

Why didn’t AW see things the same way? Is it purely financial?

Exciting game
    Evening all

FGG
    I do agree with you over Costa, and it will be interesting to see whether Chelsea play him as a lone striker

59. arnie says:

Raddy. I believe it is not only financial. Wenger will not sign players who do not have a fair opportunity to play. That is fairness. :)

Hi Raddy

Massive wages and a fee I’m guessing AW sees better spent in other positions, and I agree

yesssssssssssssss

He signed Park and Ryo, Arnie :-)

63. arnie says:

Micky. I would think the intention was to play them, not to make them rot on the bench or the reserves. Unfortunately they did not make the cut! :razz:

This time he has been honest and let Cesc know exactly how much chance Arsene thinks he will have. That is my belief :) at the moment. :razz:

64. arnie says:

Back to the post, let us proceed by elimination. Arteta is on the way out, slowly but surely, Mert has another year, Kos has probably a couple of years, but he is untested as a leader. Jack needs to develop.

Therefore, Theo or Rambo for me. Theo has an injury issue, so Rambo is the man for the future. If that is so, why not now? Maybe this will encourage him perhaps not to try and jump ship next year. :)

65. arnie says:

1577 votes at the moment. Well done Norfolk.

Mertesacker 72.73%
    Aaron Ramsey 10.97%
    Laurent Koscielny 6.98%

Arnie Dearest
    Re Rambo: “encourage him perhaps not to try and jump ship next year”
    You what?!?! Just thinking of the possibility is world class dooming :-)

My point is that given our propensity for injury (TR, AR, JW, Ox and SC all out for periods) it wouldn’t have hurt to sign another brilliant player.

It is called a squad :-D

Anyone see Spain getting a point? It is shocking to see Spain look so feeble

Ha ha Peaches :-)

69. So, Thierry thinks Cesc is the man to change Spain’s fortunes but he’s not on the pitch. I have to say that truly I don’t care if Spain go out except it’ll be sad for Cazorla.

70. 26may1989 says:

Who said the World Cup would be boring? The dominant side of the last 6 years on the verge of failing at the first. And so far, deservedly so. As FGG said, Costa isn’t good in this team, but then they’re all playing poorly. In del Bosques’s position, I’d have been tempted to sub Casillas – his confidence is shot, and one more screw up and that really is the end for Spain.

Raddy

We will sign brilliant players in other positions, which will leave us just the three to play that central position. It’s called a squad :-)

72. I agree with Raddy, I’m not sure why at a reduced cost AW wouldn’t want to strengthen the squad with a really talented player.

If we hadn’t signed Ozil would AW’s decision have been any different?

73. arnie says:

Micky. :razz:

74. 26may1989 says:

Busquets misses a sitter? Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

75. arnie says:

No, not so sad for Santi. It is good that he is not part of the disaster. He will be motivated and fight it out. With Arsenal! :razz:

If signing Cesc meant that the money spent on him would leave us unable to cover our deficiencies in defense and offense it would make no sense at all.

77. fatgingergooner says:

I’m with BR on Cesc, but in a slightly different way.

Rosicky and Arteta will be 34 and 33 next year. We will then need to go out and buy a quality replacement, even if Zelalem comes through and Diaby stays fit (big ifs). Will we get better than a Cesc Fabregas for the money he was available for?

If we don’t buy anyone this year then next season we will have:

Flamini
    Arteta (33)
    Diaby (injured?)

Wilshere
    Ox
    Ramsey
    Rosicky (34)
    Cazorla (leaving?)
    Özil
    Zelalem

If Arsene buys a DM this year and we keep Cazorla then letting Fabregas go elsewhere will make sense. If not, then we may have missed a trick for next season.

GN5
    I can deal with them on my own. About to ask Raddy to step outside with handbags drawn, and Peaches to bend over :-)

My Son is getting very cross as his world cup chart is going up in smoke here. Mine looks good. Best give him more of my very expensive dark chocolate orange from Lidl

Okay Micky I will bow out.

81. Well done Norfolk you’ve had almost 6,000 views of your post and more than 1500 people ave voted in the poll.

82. 26may1989 says:

Torres, Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Pique, Ramos, Casillas, Cazorla, Busquets, Costa, Silva: I wonder how many of those we’ll see in Spain shirts after this World Cup.

Didit. Why does buying Cesc preclude buying other top players? We are said to be able to compete with anyone yet Chavs have already signed two players over €30m.

I see no reason why AW doesn’t just blow his wad.

Oh, and FGG makes some fine points

Might see Costa in a German shirt if my prediction comes good

85. 26may1989 says:

The Spanish party is over…………………….

Sad to see the demise of a great team – probably the best International side since Brazil ’70 ,

88. fatgingergooner says:

Spain remind me of us without Özil, Ramsey and Walcott. No pace in the side and nobody running behind the striker. Really poor. Should’ve played with more pace in the side instead of the old heads.

As for Arsenal, I will be shocked if we don’t get a defensive minded midfielder in the transfer window. I’d hate to think we head into the season relying on Arteta and Flamini. Only way that would be acceptable is if Diaby stays fit all season

Thierry doesn’t rate Ferdinand does he? :-D

90. arnie says:

Thankfully, Santi is not a party to this disaster. Pray why do need a player like Cesc who cannot even get into this team of first round chokers? DEAD, DEAD, DEAD! :)

Arsenal is the future! :)

It’s called a budget Raddy, you free spending hippy :-)

I’m off to sleeeeeeep

92. arnie says:

and value for money, efficiency in running a football club in a financially sustainable way. Maybe it sounds strange for a world with too much money and too many lemons. But this is the model for Arsenal. We dare to be different! :) :) :)

Nice teaser Norfolk, although there’s not too much to tease……as the populis appear to agree BFG is the stand out candidate. When we keep clean sheets the defence and keeper go to him. From a fans point of view he gets it, he isn’t just turning up for a pay cheque he seems to know he is representing us, making our week or otherwise.

But then as Arsene once said sone players don’t need an armband to play like a captain, that is true of BFG. Perhaps Kos (already a great defender) would benefit from the responsibility if the armband.

For the future I’d have no problem seeing Szczesny, Ramsey, Gibbs, Jack or Ox wearing the armband.

Anyone want to talk about Chile?

We had this conversation about attacking players and whether they should be expected to do the other side of the game…..well Chile make it plain to see that combining skill with workrate is very good to watch, and quite effective.

95. arnie says:

Chile is a team. Period. Not a collection of over-hyped superstars who care about their selfish egos more than the fortunes of their team. They wear their hearts on their sleeves and fight hard. Not cowed down by their glamorous opponents.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant. So far. :razz: Really really love them.

But on the showing so far, it is Germany for me. :)

96. fatgingergooner says:

The Chileans have quality too though as their first goal showed. Sanchez, Vidal and Vargas give them enough threat to trouble the big teams. I hope they go far.

It’s been a great World Cup so far. Cahill’s goal is goal of the tournament already. Nobody will beat that!

97. fatgingergooner says:

Rakitic is a quality player, but playing Fabregas out of position, selling him, and then buying Rakitic for similar money makes no sense to me.

Just play Cesc in his correct position and you have a better player than Rakitic IMO.

98. arnie says:

FGG. “Cahill’s goal is goal of the tournament”. :) :) This makes me very happy. Not the van Judas goal then. :razz:

99. arnie says:

Song red carded. OUT OUT OUT! another traitor gone. good riddance. :) :)

100. fatgingergooner says:

Arnie,

I would say Cahill’s goal was far more difficult, espescially on his left foot. Funnily enough if you described each goal to me and I didn’t know the scorer i would probably guess Cahill scored the header and RVP the left foot volley!

101. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, nice one Norfolk.
    I would give it to Arteta for as long as he is still with us, after that i would look again at our team and decide who else has done enough to deserve the honour.

If anybody else were to get it, what happens to Arteta, does he still stay as deputy, Not for me..

102. 26may1989 says:

Pretty pathetic to see Cameroon implode like that. Losing is one thing, but to inflict it on yourselves like that is inexcusable – I’d be pretty angry if I were Cameroonian and I watched my country being represented like that. As for Alex Song, I’ve always felt he lacks a sense of responsibility. But he really has outdone himself this time. What an idiot.

Has African football been represented as poorly at a World Cup in the last 20 years than it is this year?

26 Song always had that ability to do something silly, never normally that silly tho .

His big downfall was always the lonely brain cell.

Parrot stew anyone?

Morning Chas

Enjoying the tournament so far?

The England young ‘uns remain one of the highlight for me.

Who could England play in place of Henderson? Needs defensive qualities while keeping the tempo turned to max.

Jack?

Where’s Eddie?

Lalana?

Good shout. He’s IN. Was hoping we could get Aaron to do a last minute “Costa” :-)

here I am :)

had a few fights to attend to, very busy

Thank you NG for a quizz that I knew the right answer to. I love GN5’s quizzes too, but they are too criptic for me. Per was easy to guess

Hoooray

Thought you’d been “done” for civil unrest in the London Borough of Swampingham

not yet, but it will happen, I am sure I cannot go through life insulting ignorant arrogant or stupidly selfish bastards.

I am sooooo shocked at Spain’s exit, 3rd favourites!!!

McDonalds to create thousands of new jobs for youngsters. Hm, I have mixed feelings about this one. this probably means more fatsos with disabled badges, but then less unemployed graduates. I like McDees, quality food, but only in small dozes.

I know how you feel. Mrs Didit is constantly saying how amazed she is that I have not been hospitalized for insulting people.

“quality food” :-)

118. chas mobile says:

I’m enjoying it, Micky. Though I still struggle to watch a whole game without getting a bit bored.
    Loving all the goals. Cahill’s goal was majestic. Quite enjoyed that game until I saw bsr smiling.

thank Dennis I am not your wife :) although we could have a lot of fun

Ox still injured

120. chas mobile says:

Quality food. Hahahahaha.

did you see the shorts swapping last night?? Croatian and Cameroonian stripped and swapped pants. I bet nobody offered to swap shorts with Lineker in 1990

oooh, McDees are lovely. Soft bun, juicy burger, crispy lettuce, crunchy chips, mmmmmmmm, If I was completely brainless I could easily eat them every day

Wow Eddie, you make them sound like the perfect burger.

A friend of mine is on a mission to make the perfect Big Mac. Trying to perfect the sauce, find the right sweet slimey-but-crunchy gherkins, while using similar texture but nice bun with quality beef.

Peaches
    If you’re using my “words” from yesterday, then I’ve sent it with an update following last nights’ game

Enjoyed Song’s performance and can only despair that he didn’t smack that cheat and egoist Mandzukic in the chops.

Also enjoyed Essou-Atishoo head-butt on his team-mate for not passing to him.

Is it possible to be sent off for assaulting a team-mate?

good luck to your friend Micky, McDees are a tough act to follow :)

Is anybody else shocked at Spain’s exit?

127. fatgingergooner says:

Is Fabregas’ agent Darren Dein?

Wonder if that had anything to do with us passing on him?

I’ve never seen a CM walk as much during games as Alex Song. He’s got the ability but just strikes me as someone only willing to do the bare minimum. He was never good enough to get in that Barca side. Poor decision to move there.

I can see England drawing tonight and then sneaking through on goal difference above Costa Rica.

In the nicest possible way, why can’t people just accept that Arsene didn’t want Cesc back. Nothing spooky or weird, just didn’t want his sort.

Cesc is not a RB, a DM, a Striker or Left Wing. Probably crap as a back up Goalie as well.

Serves Spain right for trying to add that ringer Costa to their squad.

What a stubborn team selection that was from Del Bosque, he and Xavi must have fallen out big time.

FGG. Yes DD is Fab’s agent. After he negotiated the TH debacle when Henry received a €5m loyalty bonus and then left the following season, DD is persona non grata at Arsenal

Micky. What happens if Cazorla leaves? We look like mugs for turning down a great player and ideal, younger replacement.

Morning all, I didn’t see the game …. what did Song do apart from look his normal lethargic self?

Seems to me that Barcelona needed some experienced back up and Song, his wife and their 7 children were happy to more to the beautiful city that Barcelona is. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are paying him even more than when he was at THOF.

I struggle to see who made the poor decision.

Damn, they even paid us good money for him.

133. 26may1989 says:

Raddy, yup, players can be sent off for fighting each other, violent conduct is violent conduct. Bowyer and Dyer, and Flanagan and Hales come to mind. A variation is when players attack fans: eg, Carragher at Highbury.

What happens if the entire 1st XI up sticks and shove off? I don’t know, but my wild guess is that Arsene has given it some thought :-)

I think it’s nuts to add more than three (max) 1st XI’ers, and we must add a RB, DM and Goalman

135. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, while chasing down the ball, Song swiped his elbow down the back of one of the Croatians. Completely blatant, and unnecessary in a footballing sense – they were competing for a ball in midfield. An act of pure self indulgence.

Ooo 26, a “variation”….like that Eric kung-fu moment

137. 26may1989 says:

Re Costa, there does seem to be a different reaction in Brazil as between him and Eduardo. One gets booed at any opportunity, the other is accepted in the colours of his adopted nation.

138. 26may1989 says:

Micky, I can’t remember, had Cantona been sent off already before the kung fu kick? Still a good example though, he would’ve been red carded if he hadn’t already.

Thanks 26. My Piranha Pele predicted the Chile win yesterday :P

140. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

No striker then?

We need 5 players this summer, but would be surprised if we get more than 3. If Verm and Cazorla leave then could be a nightmare as Wenger won’t sign a GK, RB, CB, CM, LW and ST. Which realistically is what we would need to make a big improvement on last season.

I have a theory that there was more to that loyalty bonus than meets the eye.

The club needed to make the transition to the Emirates and Henry being at the club was critical, imagine if he had left the year before, everyone would have started to say that Arsenal are short of money due to the move and this would have gone from bad to worse.

I suggest that Henry was the loss leader into the Emirates.

Bergkamp was the same.

142. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Just realised you put goalman, does that mean striker or GK? Either way, we are still short in 1 position if we only get 3 players in.

My guess would be that Costa could have actually played for the first team whereas Eduardo was unlikely to do so.

Rasp

Does Pele have any thoughts on the England game, or is he still mulling it over?

Has Vermaelen officially left?

Goalman is a goalscorer. Could be a “play anywhere across the front boy”, dedicted leftie or out and out striker.

I didn’t say just three players, I said 3 1st XI’ers

No LB, and nor has Santi.

148. 26may1989 says:

Re fights between teammates, I’d forgotten about one of the classics, le Saux vs Batty. Also there was McManaman vs Grobelaar (aka floppy haired streak of piss vs psycho, Rhodesian battle-hardened ex-soldier). And then our very own battle of the twats, Adebayor vs Bendtner, at WHL. More info: http://talksport.com/magazine/features/2011-04-11/when-team-mates-attack-adebayor-v-toure-dyer-v-bowyer-and-footballs-best-bust-ups

149. 26may1989 says:

Re Eduardo, you’re probably right LB, at least in terms of how it’s been perceived in Brazil over the years. But can anyone watch Fred and honestly say Eduardo wouldn’t improve the Brazil squad?

Morning Micky, there have been so many bad fish puns I wouldn’t know where to start. Despite being Brazilian/Venezuelan in origin, Pele is patriotically English and has back our boys to the fin-ish :?

Follow @PelePiranha on twitter

151. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, I have to say that I’m amazed at the response to what I thought was a quick fill-in post. The credit has, of course, got to go to Peaches and Rasp who added the attention getting headline and the poll. Pure genius!

So it’s Per Mertesacker by a landslide. 72% of 1712 votes.

152. fatgingergooner says:

Fair point Micky,

Although I do feel that us having ‘first XI’ers’ and not a ‘first 22′ like Chelsea, City and loads of European teams have is a bit of our problem. I know there’s financial restrictions blah blah blah, but we’ve passed up the opportunity to buy a world class CM (regardless of wether he’s Fabregas or anyone else) yet Chelsea, who have as many midfielders as us, have snapped him up.

We need to develop a quality squad, not just a great first XI and then several decent back up players. The problem with having ‘back up players’ is they tend to be ‘back up’ quality.

Wenger should be looking at Fabregas and asking ‘is he better than my back up players’ not ‘is he better than Özil’. That’s the only way our whole squad will improve.

IF financial reasons are why we didn’t sign him ie we can’t buy a quality striker if we get Cesc, then I totally accept that, but if we don’t see the right signings this summer and we’ve passed on Cesc, then I won’t be too happy.

Laters

154. fatgingergooner says:

Didn’t Bowyer and Dyer get sent off once?

Thanks LB – a moment of pure madness. That will blight his career.

156. Norfolk Gooner says:

Fish puns? Who mentioned fish puns? Oh cod help us, is this the plaice for such things? I love puns ,I put my heart and sole into them. Oh well time to go, whale meet again don’t know where don’t know when…

157. We have a New Post …………….

158. ai-zed says:

Holy Moly!!!!! Super Yao Gervinho!!!!

159. Samson says:

Per d right man

160. Wabs Okmos says:

Thanks to engineer & manager Wenger. it is so far so good that he has within a period of less than 18 month he has brought in instrumental machines to add to the existing. However, he still missed out experience and hardened tacklers like those 2003 to 2005. The midfield that was filled by P,Vieire, G, Silva & Edu as rotational 6 & 8 supported by along the line running Robert P. If captaincy goes with command for respected, position and the period served with the club, then i my favor would be Tomas Rosisky