Does The Arsenal have to be based in London?

Morning Gooners,

Most of us have just started to calm down after a nine year wait for silverware – how excited were we? Our cabinet now houses its first trophy in our new Emirates stadium. Many Gunners felt that years of disappointment may never be turned round after a few defeats at the new Wembley. I know how happy I was to have that Monkey off our backs, and now we can go forward and hopefully add to that FA cup.

How many Gooners tried to get a cup final ticket, but were left disappointed? Arsenal of course made it possible for many fans to watch the game on a big screen an the Emirates Stadium, and many others watched in pubs clubs or like myself at home on television. Overseas supporters watched the game on TV or streams much the same as they always do, which started to make me feel just how disappointed they must feel not being there in person.

The Emirates stadium holds sixty odd thousand, and not knowing, but I guess Hull’s stadium holds thirty odd thousand, now that equates to a lot less than what Wembley’s capacity so why couldn’t both sets of supporters, get to see what may turn out to be a once in a lifetime experience.

Ok we can answer that question ourselves without hesitation. The FA Cup Final attracts many hangers on, even some of my Tottenham friends got hold of tickets, and went for the occasion, which really spammed my brain.

I started to think about this situation once all the commotion was over, and of course after the trophy was locked up in our cabinet. Would you believe what I came up with? Arsenal Football club, does it have to be based in London, does it have to be in England even. I had to ask myself, would lifetime supporters still follow The Arsenal if it played its football in The Bundersleague or even in Spain or Italy, and its my opinion that many would.

I started to think that there is no reason that The Arsenal has to play in England at all, as Arsenal is not even English now. Owned by Americans and Russians, managed by a Frenchman, and captained by a Belgian. Now that showed me that Arsenal have outgrown themselves, Highbury Stadium wasn’t big enough, so we moved just a few yards down the road, and named it after our Arab sponsors so even the home of Arsenal has changed.

Now after a little thinking, I also have seen the changes in other Premier Clubs they too are owned by Russians, Arabs, Indians and Americans. Now this has shown me that football is now, as I suppose it always has been just business ventures, so in all honesty it could be run anywhere by anyone. We could in fact be run by EUFA and based in the middle of Europe where Arsenal supporters could easily, or more easily get to watch their team play live.

Personally I am of the age where travelling to games is only occasional for me, and where I am happy to watch my team play on television or streams wouldn’t worry me if we moved to anywhere in the world. But our world wide audience could go to watch more easier.

I have read that the governing bodies have been toying with ideas of a European league, which would attract best teams in  Europe, and start up a new league. At one time that would be unthinkable but not any more, who would you rather watch as opponents every week, Barcelona Real Madrid, Bayan Munich or Hull and Cardiff.

Football has changed, and I suppose we have to as well. I have seen Arsenal of old and I preferred it, but hey I am old and Arsenal are now a commodity for everyone. Up and at them Arsenal.

What’s your views.

Written by Steve Palmer

74 Responses to Does The Arsenal have to be based in London?

1. angel gooner says:

Arsenal is a london club and always will be.You can have fans from all over the world,but you can never forget your local core fans.

Arsenal is London.

Steve. This is a very good post and one which gives rise to hopefully an interesting discussion.

You are right. AFC have a bigger fan base outside the UK than in it. Millions of fans in Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Americas support the Gunners as fervently as those lucky enough to go to the games. Thousands travel from overseas to home and away games – I am always being asked for tickets!

As you rightly say, the stewardship of the club is foreign based.

But what of Arsenal’s English-ness? To me it is an absolute, AFC is as English and as London as a red double decker bus – we may see them elsewhere but we know were they belong :-)

3. silentstan says:

thinking is clearly something you do not do well

4. Shard says:

Arsenal Delhi!! I would love it :)

To be honest, I love traditions, and Arsenal is a very traditional club (although also very forward looking) I loved the ambience of a match day around the Arsenal Stadium. The buzz, everyone looking forward to the game, having discussions in the pub. Even sometimes, treating strangers like me, as family. It was fantastic and I wouldn’t want Arsenal, or any other club to lose that. Also, shifting home base permanently is risky even for the business side of things since the club loses its identity, without which it becomes harder to sell the brand to others.

What will happen, I think that business practices will take over and dictate some changes. In time, not immediately, but it will happen. Look at the US sports for instance. They are slightly different in that they are league franchises, but the NBA and the NFL already hold the odd game in London. The Toronto Raptors, the San Francisco 49ers (for example) play their ‘home’ games in London. I think this might happen at some stage. Where the clubs can opt to play 1 or 2 of their home games anywhere across the world.

The other thing that could happen, has already started happening in fact, is that clubs could start up new clubs in other leagues. There might have to be some restrictions in the ownership structures etc (because of the risk of manipulation of the transfer market) but ManCity have already started a new club in the MLS. There were rumours that Arsenal might do that as well. Atletico Madrid have invested in a club in India. Maybe there really can be an Arsenal Delhi at some stage, where Arsenal contributes to building infrastructure and bringing in coaches and scouts to the club here so as to boost local interest in the game (and their brand) I think that would be the way to do it and expand the brand globally.

Thanks for the post Steve. It is apparent that some will view it on a simplistic level and respond with what they ‘think’ is a witty one line put down, but the bigger question of Arsenal’s place in the football world is an interesting one.

Obviously Arsenal need a home ground and that can only be in North London IMO therefore yes, we need to be based in London … sorry to all our foreign supporters. But we are a global brand with a worldwide fanbase and it would be good to spread the love a bit and give the overseas fans more opportunities to see Arsenal play live.

This can only be achieved by a European or maybe World League. I can see the former happening some time in the future but the distances involved in a WL would make it a logistical nightmare. Perhaps FIFA should do something sensible for a change and insist that all top divisions (premier leagues) comprise no more than 16 teams and that there should be some kind of inter-continental tournament to use up the time freed?

6. Shard says:

Rasp

Distances have a way of shrinking with time. A lot of the developing world doesn’t have the infrastructure to support travel over long distances in a short time, but it will improve as time goes by.

Scheduling could also be managed keeping distances in mind such as the NBA does when its teams go on the road for a month or more. Play all the teams that are in the region at their homes when you go on the road.

More manageable probably will be a knock out tournament of say 128 teams. Fifa has 209 members. The champions of each nation, and each continent makes 214 teams. Whittle them down to 128 by knockouts within the smaller teams, and then have two legged knockout matches in a random draw (or a one legged match played at the home of the smaller/lower ranked nation)

Your suggestion of reducing the teams in every country’s top league could be very useful as well in terms of scheduling. Maybe they could also do away with the League Cup and its equivalent in all countries. Or keep them only for teams not in the top tier.

A world tournament for clubs might be exciting.

Hi Shard, re: distances, I agree in part. But certainly a team could only play 1 game a week at most if say they were in South America for one game and Europe for the next. We have seen Santi miss EPL games after playing away for Spain. A long flight and the subsequent time lapse must take its toll on a player’s abiltity to perform.

Don’t get me wrong, I am in favour of us playing abroad more often – and not just in pre-season friendlies, it makes sense in financial, business and human terms – the sponsors would love it!.

Shard, maybe the teams that come top in England could play the team that comes top in country ‘A’ and the 2nd v 2nd etc etc, in a global tournament.

I have long argued for the EPL to be reduced to 16. We play too many games and with the WC and EC rotating every 2 years, our players only get a rest every other summer. We are at a disadvantage when playing against sides whose leagues have fewer teams.

9. Shard says:

Rasp

Maybe I wasn’t clear. But I referred to that problem with the solution that we go to South America and play all the teams in the region as part of an away ‘month’, rather than games being divided home and away every week.

This is how the NBA does its scheduling when its teams travel across the US. For example, the team from New York will have its California, Arizona and Texas away games all clubbed together and then fly back to New York. Something similar will be done when it visits teams like Indiana, Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota.

10. 26may1989 says:

Interesting one, SP.

Arsenal is the team I supported because I’m from North London, and could walk to the stadium from where I was born and where I grew up. So, to me the idea of the Arse ever being anywhere else is beyond the pale.

But 100 years ago, the good residents of Woolwich thought of it as their club, and look what happened.

As for the foreign component in our fanbase and our ownership, there’s a reason people from far off lands are attracted to European football clubs, and especially those in England, Spain and Germany. It’s not the beauty of the sport really, it’s the passion that we, the fans (and especially those local to the team), have for our clubs, the way our identity becomes so completely wrapped up in those clubs. Take that away, and very quickly football will be a sterile, uninteresting thing.

I agree that there may well be a European Superleague at some point, and/or competitive games played in far-off locations to cater for fans in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and North America. But that will only be the exception, like the 39th game that the PL floated a few years back but which was rapidly shot down.

As for the Superleague, much as I would be interested to see it, we should remember a couple of things: first, it’s quite good fun to play against the likes of Hull and Cardiff, either because they present a surprising challenge or because we get to see our team thrash another team; and second, if we play Bayern or Real frequently, that will become less special and we’ll also have to get used to being a small fish in a bigger pond – midtable would be our best expectation usually.

Well done Steve, you have chosen a topic that is deserving of open dialogue.

I grew up listening to the ooh’s and aah’s from the Highbury ground and was devastated when we moved house from N5 to N7 – I remember threatening to leave home, but gave up when my Dad agreed (true story). Then moving to Canada was an awful wrench as, in the early days, the news and views on football were almost non-existent.

However mulling over your point made me feel that moving away, even to Asia, may well be the for the good. They would be assured of packing their ground each and every week with not just passionate but fervent fans, they would also gain access to a huge fan base and the TV coverage would be incredible.

Compare that to staying at the Emirates with, at best, luke warm fans who seem more interested in getting half time refreshments than watching the football, or God forbid supporting the team.

The only folks that will disagree are the, ever reducing, numbers of loyal fans.

Well done, Steve, for providing a very different Post, from slightly left field.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and all the rest will always be ‘English’ clubs, based in England, rather like the New York Yankees will always be based in their namesake city, and therefore country.

None of us can foresee the future, which is probably just as well, but I imagine that another ‘English’ game has perhaps shown the likely way forward.

I am speaking of cricket. Originally it was played in English towns and villages, then taken abroad and embraced by Australia, India and many other peoples. The inevitable result was that teams with a national identity then played each other.

Historically, the English cricket authorities were the most influential, but that slowly changed and now the Prime mover in cricket is now India, with its vast population making it the most commercially profitable, no other country can afford to bend to the wishes of the Indian cricketing authorities.

I suspect in the future countries like America with its increasing Spanish/Mexican population, or even China will have a greater input to football (soccer ball) :-) and a similar evolution to the cricket analogy will occur.

Taking India, as an example, they will no doubt have teams based in their major cities called Delhi Arsenal, or the Amritsar Rebels and so on with their own avid fans.

In the US the MLS is now going great guns and eventually every nation will have major clubs of their own for their populations to support, and there will be a commensurate global reduction in the support given to Arsenal and other UK based clubs.

Even if I am correct, I do not suppose it is likely that anyone currently blogging on AA will be around to see it. :-)

Edit: can afford not to bend to the wishes of the Indian cricketing authorities.

14. 26may1989 says:

Something GN5 said struck a chord: “Then moving to Canada was an awful wrench as, in the early days, the news and views on football were almost non-existent.”

I spent six months in Canada in 1990, and recall that it really was hard to get much info, and even getting scores of midweek games wasn’t reliable. I would have to go into the fine print of the Thursday edition of the Toronto Globe & Mail to hunt down our scores. All fine usually, but I remember one time seeing that we had supposedly lost a league cup game at home to Man U (we were far superior to them at the time) by a score of 6-2. This was so obviously wrong that I just muttered “Bloody Canadians, can’t even get a score right”, and waited to find out what the “real” score was later. Oh dear…..

26. I went to that game (MU) – it was the first and only time I had “corporate hospitality” tickets at Highbury.

We were unlucky and should have won ;-)

The East Coast of Canada was obviously a difficult place to get ‘soccer scores’ but I spent quite a lot of time going back and forth to Hawaii in the 90’s and that was very problematical – and nigh on impossible at times.

I solved it to a large extent by introducing myself to british holidaymakers, (they stand out) :-) and asking them.
    My success rate was about 1 in 10. (You would be surprised at how many did not care a fig for football).

17. arnie says:

Brilliant idea for a post, Steve. And a fantastic post as well. :)

One of the most important characters of Arsenal is that it is rooted in a place, N5 or a stone’s throw away, N7 in North London. It was not always there, moving from Woolwich Arsenal a while back, but the character of its current roots are in North London.

I belong to a family that does not really have roots. We have migrated since the 1930s. But roots are important. One major reason that I started to support Arsenal was that it had its roots in a place that I could identify myself with. London is a truly global city and many people across the world can identify themselves with it. And more specifically, fairly early on from the beginning of my residence, then in England, I found that I could identify with N5 and N7. Lucky was I!

The point about roots is also that it is rooted in a place, with its own independent character, history and traditions, and it has spatial fixity. You cannot take a character from one place (or a multitude of places) and put in another location. So, Arsenal for me is N5/N7. I have never lived in N5 or N7, so for me the distinction is a bit blurred, but it is certainly not N17.

So, Arsenal has a big fan following across the world, but not quite so much in London. Big deal! London is the world, and north London is a place that is welcoming to people from across teh world. A place where many peoples can feel a part of and be comfortable, and share and enrich the traditions and cultures of the place. In this case, football and more specifically Arsenal.

Would Arsenal have the same following if it were somewhere else? No, not quite the same. It could have a large following, but the fans should be able to identify with that alternate place.

Would Arsenal have the same following if it did not have roots anywhere specific? No. It could still have a following I suppose among people who feel equally rootless. But its character would then be different.

And finally, can I recommend “Roots” by Alex Haley to those who have not read it? :) :)

An extremely well written post and one that certainly had me thinking as I read my way down.

My thought process went something like this.

Interesting point, why on earth couldn’t Arsenal be based somewhere else?

Brrrrrrr, perish the thought.

I consoled myself in the answer that in order to fill the Emirates with 60,000 fans every other week, I reckon you need a fan base of around 200,000 in reachable distance.

I suppose if pushed it is conceivable that Arsenal could play an occasional game in some more far flung location, maybe Stoke Newington or even Kings Cross in the borough of Camden, now that would be exotic but beyond that, hmmmmm, nah.

19. arnie says:

As regards playing a few games elsewhere in the world, so that fans who cannot travel would still have the opportunity to go to the ground and see a game, I am all for it.

As regards an Arsenal Delhi or an Arsenal Sao Paolo or an Arsenal Shanghai or an Arsenal Toronto, I am all for it. Particularly if these clubs can retain similar traditions and character, and particularly if they can feed in young players. :) :) :)

20. 26may1989 says:

Can you imagine what North London would have been like had Arsenal not migrated from far-off Woolwich? A barren wasteland, served only by cockerels on basketballs…..

21. LBG says:

As some have commented already, The Arsenal are a London football institution. When my Dad started watching in the Thirties, they were “the most famous football club in the world”. They are tradition, they are history, they are a way of doing things – the right way, they are class in exactly the way Chelski are not, they are Adams or Wenger-type loyalty (except Cashley, Rv######££, Nasri, Hleb and one or two others, unfortunately).We are proud to say their name………………..and the reason for the World wide fanbase is all of the above.

Hi Steve

Dont tell the others, but I will let you into a little secret. I am very selfish. I was once hounded by a cackle of school run mums for refusing to hand over the last ice cream to an undeserving oink.

It was one of those 99’s with flake. Delicious.

It currently takes me 40 minutes to get from home to the Grove. I estimate that travelling to India or China might take a bit longer.

Though they are great, I have no real desire to visit these countries. My cultural knowledge extends as far as recognizing a picture of Melvyn Bragg, and I have no interest what so ever in goods made from plastic.

I appreciate our world wide fan base, I really do, but give them the chance to attend at my expense? I would rather be accosted by my ex wife, and she once acted as a stand in for an unwell Kendo Nagasaki

23. evonne says:

after seeing the title only I do not feel like reading the rest. But I am curious, so off I go to read it….

24. evonne says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I had fallen in love with the Arsenal after my first trip to Highbury. I supported Arsenal for a while before that, but the love affair started the moment I got off the train at the Arsenal tube station. The fans in red shirts, the stalls with scarves, awful photos and sticky sweets, the music, the buzz before the game was addictive. Once you taste it, you are hooked for life. I was anyway.

Sorry steve, but there is nowhere else in the world a greasy burger and chips tastes as good as the ones they sell in N5

Good post, thanks!!

25. The Cockie Monster says:

Being an out of this world club, there`s only one place The Arse` would ever contemplate moving to …………Uranus !.

“It was one of those 99′s with flake. Delicious.”

Brilliant.

27. RC78 says:

1. We should remain in London as it is our home.

2. Shaqiri and Kroos may leave Bayern. Shaqiri is an excellent winger and is willing to join a top 4 club in the EPL…

I, as much as, if not more, than most people am passionate about Highbury, but as much for my upbringing as it is because of Arsenal. The point I made earlier was to not advocate a move away from N5/7 but simply to point our that moving will not necessarily dilute the fan base or passion for Arsenal.

In fact given the right choice of location it could be to the clubs advantage both from the fan base standpoint and financially, there are many countries and cities that would offer huge tax advantages to a club like Arsenal to re-locate. In North America its quite common for teams to switch locations due to financial reasons alone.

Nice one, Steve.
    I’d have to say, not only in London but in the borough of Islington.
    When David Dein proposed moving to Wembley, I was aghast.

When it was clear we needed to move from Highbury, the other two sites considered were Kings Cross (just outside Islington) and a site outside the M25, if memory serves me right. Both would not have been acceptable. Thank Dennis for Ashburton Grove.

To satisfy worldwide audiences, maybe we could set up various offshoot clubs in the leagues around the world which, though not anywhere near the real thing, could at least allow fans to visit a local version of The Arsenal while waiting for the real results from North London. :)

chas. I recall the Wembley fiasco with horror. but since I became ex-patted I view things differently and think AFC should play all their home games at the Parken in Copenhagen.

Fascinating Post Steve – well done.

An essential part of the passion involved in high level sports is tribalism.

In some ways you could argue that watching our footy teams is a modern substitute for running off to raid the enemy tribe, take a few heads and capture a few of their womenfolk (or at least steal some ice creams from their kids, if you’re Terry).

I have always imagined that tribalism is rooted in localism: the team represents our turf, our patch of ground (even if these days the players come from far flung corners of the world) and we do battle with rival “turfs” both to protect our turf and for ‘honour’.

But your article got me thinking.

Now that I live in North America I’m aware that some people here support sports teams differently from us. For example, in the UK if you’re an Arsenal fan and you move to Leeds or Cardiff or Edinburgh you will remain an Arsenal fan. In America (although there are many passionate fans who support their home team even if they move to another city) there are also many who shift their support according to where they live.

So you might grow up in New York supporting (in basketball) the Knicks. But then you move to LA and you start following one of the local teams there – the Clippers or the Lakers. You’ll always still have a thing for the Knicks, but you shift your affiliation to where you can actually do something about it (like go and support). There’s a bit of a sense of: you live here now, so you should support the local team.

All of which brings me back to your original point Steve. Emotionally I would be distraught if The Arsenal was uprooted from North London. But, thinking about it, and bearing in mind the American examples, if the club did move to another city or even country it would probably have every chance of doing very well and bringing in a (new) local crowd.

Can’t really see it happening though.

I was at the 6-2 defeat (in the Clock End) 26.

Weird game.

My memory is fuzzy but wasn’t it close for quite a while and then ManUre pulled away at the end?

I remember it didn’t feel like as much of a thrashing as the scoreline represented.

Or, as BR says, “we woz robbed!”

I just tried to find report of the game and found this from footballpink.net.
    Quite a funny report for a 6-2 ‘unjustified’ defeat. :)

The League Cup has taken many names over its 53 year history and in the 1990-91 season the electrical retailer Rumbelows gave their name to the competition that would give us a cracking cup tie for us to watch on their rented telly sets.

George Graham’s Arsenal, a canny mix of cloggers, muggers, drinkers and dribblers, hosted Alex Ferguson’s pretenders, Manchester United, in their first meeting since the infamous Old Trafford brawl of just one month earlier where 21 of the 22 players engaged in a full on handbag-fest which resulted in a points deduction for both clubs. Moustachioed Gunners ‘keeper David Seaman being the only man to refrain from joining in the contretemps.

This midweek, televised clash between these two arch enemies burst into life after a mere two minutes of action. United’s perma-tanned full back Clayton Blackmore drilled his free kick low past the Arsenal wall and into the net past ‘Spunky’ Seaman to silence the packed North Bank end of Highbury.

Both sides were going at it hammer-and-tongs and with chances aplenty at both ends it was United who would extend their lead when former England winger Danny Wallace squared the ball across the box for curly-haired, Welsh wrestler, Mark Hughes to smash another past the helpless Seaman. The famous Arsenal back four were being mesmerised by the visitors’ attacking style. Unsurprising given the eye-frazzling design of United’s away shirts.

Worse was to come when Lee Dixon was robbed of the ball by snake-hipped, Brummie fanny-rat, Lee Sharpe, who then curled a glorious, uncharacteristic right-footed effort into the top corner from 20 yards out to give Fergie’s men an unbelievable three goal lead. Sharpe, who was all the rage at Old Trafford before Ryan Giggs was even a glint in Ferguson’s eye, would end the night as the star of the show.

The half time whistle blew to give the erstwhile stuffed-envelope enthusiast, George Graham, the opportunity to bollock his usually miserly defence, and the travelling fans, who in those days all came from Manchester, a reason to party in the capital.

The early stages of the second half gave the Gunners hope of a comeback when big-nosed striker Alan Smith pounced on a volley from Michael ‘It’s Up For Grabs Now’ Thomas which rebounded off United’s slightly unhinged goalie, Les Sealey, to narrow the deficit to two goals. Smith would exploit Sealey again soon after following a corner on Arsenal’s right hand side. Chief rabble-rouser, Tony Adams, headed goalwards only for Sealey to fumble weakly and the lanky frontman poked home his second of the night. 2-3, game on, or so Arsenal thought!

The revival was snuffed out when Denis Irwin, one of Ferguson’s greatest signings, swung over an inch-perfect cross from the United right. Sharpe ghosted into the box and leapt like the proverbial salmon to nod home a fourth goal. The 19-year-old would then bag his hat-trick following more good work by Wallace who slotted the left winger through the heart of the absent Gunners rearguard to shoot past Seaman again for an incredible 5-2 lead.

The diminutive former Southampton man Wallace would deservedly round off the drubbing when he got on the end of Hughes’ drilled cross to score the sixth and final United goal of the night.

Arsenal’s collective broken and flattened noses may have been out of joint temporarily after this defeat but they would ultimately lift the League title after going the whole season suffering just one defeat and conceding a record-breaking 18 goals all season. They were denied in the FA Cup by a Gazza-inspired Tottenham in that famous Wembley semi-final.

Although Ferguson and United weren’t quite at the stage of winning Championships yet, the fruits of the Scotsman’s labour were slowly coming to bear. They would lose the Rumbelows Cup Final to Sheffield Wednesday, managed by former United boss, Ron Atkinson in a classic final but would taste European glory in Rotterdam, by defeating Johann Cruyff’s Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup Final.

34. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, may i apologise to all AA’rs for not replying to some great comments, For that i mean at the time.

If i speak the truth, many of you have surprised me by some of your answers. For those of you that could imagine The Arsenal uprooting and moving out of London or England in fact, You know that that is almost an impossibility.

Some of your suggestions though have made me look at things very differently.

Fords started off in America, they made cars lots of different cars and people liked them, not just Americans either,
    Fords realised the market and they started seeing that other countries wanted a Ford but they didn’t like the idea of paying for the transport.

Fords decided to open other Ford Factories to take their product to the people, Sadly Fords did not manufacture the same cars there but they did make alternative vehicles that the people liked.

Arsenal are the main product but many other countries would like their own Arsenal. When Fords opened up at Dagenham they employed mainly English workers and they in turn took to Fords and many claimed it as British. The product wasn’t exactly the same so we built British cars.

Arsenal could easily start another Arsenal anywhere, of course it wouldn;t be the original but it would become the peoples club.

Don’t know if you understood all that, and maybe i have not explained it that well, but hopefully it will sink in.

May i take this opportunity to thank you all for your comments

35. DidIt M says:

Crikey Steve

Great idea for a post. Having read both the post and amazingly long and well thought out comments, I remain firmly in Camp Islington.

I do believe we will see a Super League, probably resulting in a reduced Premier League and even an extended World Club mini tournament.

26, Rocky and Raddy.
    I too was at the 2-6 :-( However, it never feels like one of our worst days.

Chas,
    You mentioned other possible stadium venues. Remember the Alexander Palace club sharing idea with the Spuds?

36. stevepalmer1 says:

Cheers Rocky, liked your explanation, I can understand that.

37. DidIt M says:

Hi Steve

There’s an Arsenal Football Club in Argentina. I think.

38. DidIt M says:

Arsenal 3 San Lorenzo 0

39. DidIt M says:

This is from Wiki. Obviously nothing to do with us, but still, the only club to follow down South American way

Arsenal Fútbol Club (Spanish pronunciation: [arˈsenal ˈfutβol ˈkluβ]), usually referred as Arsenal de Sarandí [arˈsenal de saɾanˈdi], is an Argentine sports club from the Sarandí district of Avellaneda Partido, Greater Buenos Aires.

The football team currently plays in Primera División, the top division of the Argentine football league system. The squad plays its home games at the Estadio Julio H. Grondona, named after one of the founders, which has a capacity of 16,000. It opened in 1964 but was not used in the First Division until 2004. The club’s colours are red and light blue, in honour of the traditional teams of Avellaneda (Independiente and Racing). Arsenal won its first Primera División championship in 2012. Until then, club’s major title had been the Copa Sudamericana won in 2007.

40. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Didit M,
    Typical i am always late for everything :)

41. stevepalmer1 says:

Wilshere and the Ox starting

42. evonne says:

oooooh! Achtung DidIt , there is a rumour!! We are in talks with a new starlet from Cameroon. 21 year old winger I think for £7m

43. Oh no, now you see what The Ox can do on the wing :( I hope you’re watching Arsene

Post sent to Nuts.

Decent half from the Ox. Wilshire is taking the advice to play at walking pace too literally.

46. Shard says:

Haha peaches.. Lee Dixon just pointed out that the Ecuador goal came from Ox not covering his man properly.. :)

47. Oh well that must’ve been why then ;)

Please tell me ITV don’t have exclusive rights for the WC – another game listening to the dreadful Andy Townshend would be awful

Anyone else heard that Piquet was whispering to Del Bosque that Cesc had told him the deal was done for £33m.

The microphone was on without them knowing and although no club was mentioned it seems that something is afoot. Chelsea?

I also saw on Sky that Costa has passed the Chelsea medical.

I hope the Chavs stop now and let us buy someone.

Raddish,

I think the WC is one of the UK’s protected tournaments and will be shared between the BBC and ITV.

Ox has suspected ligament damage to his knee!

Isn’t that the same injury that kept him out most of last season?

54. arnie says:

Motning all.

Chas. “solemnness of the third row” for me. :razz: grumpy old man. :)

55. evonne says:

So Theo, Ox and Jack are possibly out of the world cup even before it started. I am fuming, pointless watching it now

third row for me too

56. evonne says:

70th anniversary of the D Day. What always baffles me is how the allied forces managed to keep such humongous operation a secret. Krauts didn’t have a clue. Could this be possible these days of electronic communications? I think not

Looked bad when Ox got hit. Hopefully nothing more than a light strain.

58. evonne says:

looked very bad to me. Ecuador disgraced themselves – it was supposed to be a friendly

AFC have a history of players getting injured in International friendlies (JW twice, Ox, RvP – out for almost a season).

Why us?

60. 26may1989 says:

Evonne, there’s a whole story of trickery and illusion behind the Allies convincing the Germans that they would be landing at the Pas de Calais in 1944, not Normandy. It took months and years of planning, conning known German spies, the use of some clever radar fooling devices and lots of dummy tanks etc in different parts of England. Plus there were some attacks away from Normandy which involved the sacrifice of some military personnel. By June, the Germans were convinced that the Allies would use the sensible, shorter route across the Channel, and not go the long way to somewhere like Normandy. As a result, a substantial portion of the German forces were in the wrong place.

61. evonne says:

thank you 26m, how fantastic was that? Brilliant. I wish I could go and commemorate those killed in action, thousands of young lads.

62. evonne says:

Raddy – AFC have a history of players getting injured full stop.

63. 26may1989 says:

Evonne, you probably know already that the Free Polish forces were part of the D Day landing force. According to Wiki 6000 Polish soldiers died in freeing France (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Armed_Forces_in_the_West).

26M, Raddy,

There is a great film called ‘The Man Who Never Was’ about a dead man being given a new identity as a British Officer who was dumped in the sea off Spain with bogus plans for the DDay landings in the Pas de Calais — and the German High Command believed it.

True story.

65. 26may1989 says:

Agreed RA, excellent film!

RA. Thanks for info about ITV.

Film. Seen, enjoyed.

67. evonne says:

26m – no, I didn’t know there were 6o00 Poles killed there, but I was also shocked that 4000 Canadians died in France. How VERY shocking is the history, barbarian

Morning all, my dad was a boffin in the war. He worked for radar countermeasures based at Blickling Hall in Norfolk. He used to go up in a Flying Fortress in which all the guns had been replaced with sophisticated radar devices designed to confuse the gerries as to our strength and plans. He was still bound by the official secrets act when he died.

Sorry, running a bit late …………. back in a bit …….

My father was in the 8th Army and one of Montgomery’s Desert Rats.

He fought across N. Africa to the Sicilyand Sorrento landings and all through Italy including the battle of Monte Cassino where many thousands of Poles died – they were considered the best ground fighters and as such put into perilous situations. Dad said they were incredibly brave men.

71. Norfolk Gooner says:

D Day was the 6th June.

72. We have a New Post ………………….