Arsenal. A selling club?

Given our new found riches the media are totally focussed upon whom we should buy, but let’s turn this around – who should we sell?

Bendtner, Sagna, Fabianski and Park are already condemned to play away from the Home of Football but if you had your way who else would join them? We have players who are very attractive to other teams – some who may be targets would be a painful loss, others less so.

What about Ramsey? This fellow is going to be a great and not just an Arsenal great. If you had unlimited resources who in the PL would you look at if you wanted a young midfielder? Henderson? You must be joking. Eriksen? Doesn’t deserve to tie Ramsey’s laces. Barkley? Not yet and doesn’t score enough. Now I can hear you say – we will never sell Ramsey, but Spurs fans thought that about Bale! 50+m euros may well make the Board listen.

Just joking – Aaron will stay at AFC until he needs a zimmer frame  to get onto the pitch. Same goes for Wilshire.

images

“What? I am going to Swansea with Lukasz?”

But what of our other midfielders, could any of them be targets for other clubs? Rosicky? Why not – he is quality. I know he has signed a new contract and that he is coming to the end of his career but  – OK, you are right – no-one will buy him. But what of Cazorla? Given the development of Wilshere and the wonder of Ozil do we really need our Spanish magician? Could he be sold to bring in extra money to buy a Cavani or a Falcao?

Horrible idea but given how many MF’s we have one may well be sold and no-one is buying Diaby!

Arteta or Flamini? Again few possible suitors. They are at AFC until their contracts run down or we can arrange a free transfer for Mathieu.

Except, Except ….. what if we sign Fabregas? Would anyone object to selling, let us say JW or Cazorla, or according to GIE, Arteta, to make way for Cesc? (disclaimer: GIE’s was not proposing selling MA!)

What about defenders? Sagna has gone, but is Monreal available? Is he the man to be a solid understudy to Gibbs and if not should he be sold? I like him but accept his limitations.

Vermaelen? Club captain and a quality player; I am sure Mr Wenger will be unwilling to sell such a superb backup CB but what about Thomas’s ambitions – I am sure he will want away in summer and there will be plenty of teams who would sign him.

And Koscielny will only enhance his reputation in Brazil and become a hot property – Barca are desperate for new CB’s. Kos would be a great signing and not crazy money. Merts? Too valuable to sell.

Upfront we have less to fear from raiders. Giroud is a fine player and could well return to France but where? Monaco have Falcao and PSG Cavani and Ibra – the other teams don’t have the money as OG will be at least double what we paid for him.

Ox? Theo? Ozil? Sanogo? Can’t see any of them leaving but what of Podolski? My hope is that we sign Drexler and if we do there is no place for Pod – fine player though he is. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Podolski leave in summer.

Of course, none of the above are likely to be sold, particularly as we have the finances to keep suitors at bay, but there are players who could and perhaps should leave the squad – especially as we will buy this summer.

Who do you think should empty his locker?

Written by Big Raddy

84 Responses to Arsenal. A selling club?

1. RC78 says:

We are indeed a selling club but lately, we did not really manage some contracts well and we are now losing good players for free – which is a loss of a valued asset so we are basically losing players and money with the free departures of Fab, Bac and Bendy…

Will we sell other players this summer? I am not sure and besides the likes of Chamakh, Park and maybe Miyachi – the rest of the team should stay, except maybe

– Vermaelen > I do hope that we keep hold of Vermaelen as he is a good defender and is lefty, which is useful in a central defense.
    – Podolski > He wants a starter berth but he has not really given enough guarantees.

On my side, I would like to see the following players leave (on top of the free departures) and be replaced:

– Miquel by Micah Richards;
    – Monreal by Inamoto;
    – Arteta by Bender or Schenderlin (ideally Javi Martinez but unlikely);
    – Miyachi by Meertens or Draxler;
    – Podolski by Insigne or El Sharaawy.

2. rotterdam gunner says:

arteta should go,rosicky out get fab4 back,dm is must .

3. LBG says:

Interesting post Raddy, and given our recent disagreement, I will need to jump in first(?) with general agreement. Loyalty on the Club’s side is important to me, otherwise how can we expect it back. that said, I would be prepared to let go in rank order Monreal, Pods, Walcott (sorry), Flamini (provided he get us our large, athletic holdig MF), Cazorla, Gnabry. Last two, only if Draxler, Bony/Remy can be secured.

4. NW says:

What a joke…

When the club sell when there is still a contract, the club is a selling club.

When the club runs down a contract, like many hoping Arsenal did with RVP, the club is managing the contracts poorly.

Unless Arsenal keeps every single player they see fit, the club is no good.

Hell, may be the players want to go else where. May be he hates Wenger. May be he hates London. May be he hates the fans… May be he loves money. May be he loves his childhood club…

Come on. Who did not change their job in their career? Normal people have a career span of 30 to 40 years. We find another employer two or three times. A football player has a span of 10 to 15 years. So when he stays at arsenal for over 5 years, you should expect him to leave.

When you work for someone, there is no way your employer can stop you from leaving if you do not need his/her monthly payment to you. NOTHING.

An employer cannot force someone to sign a contract. He/she cannot force you to work or lock you up.

What can Arsenal do if a players wants out? Give him whatever he wants?

DON”T BE SILLY.

Regarding “selling” club… Come on. Atletico Madrid keep selling their striker for years but they are still top of the league…. a third team in a two-team league.

Going across Madrid, Real sell A LOT of players. Some of them do EXTREMELY well after being sold. They also buy a lot of players and many do not do very well after the transfer.

If selling makes financial sense, why not. The problem is about finding replacement which Arsenal is not doing very nicely.

NW,

A lot of what you say is a fair comment, but in response to the Post it rather misses the point.

As a statement of fact, the club has sold players. That is what Raddy has said so it is a given.

What he has asked is are there players we could or should sell, would we miss them, and so on.

So would you keep all the existing squad or are their players we should or could let go, and why?

Raddy,

An interesting Post. :-)

Whatever any of us think, the only one who has any say in this is AW. History tells us he is reluctant to sell players unless he sees it is in the player’s interest.

As an example, Eboue was having a tough time with some fans – and he reluctantly sold him.

There is always going to be ‘churn’ with players coming and going and if we speak of players being sold we have to think of players being bought to replace them.

Wenger has said he is looking to buy 2 or 3 players — and these are to replace players like Sagna who has already gone, Vermaelen who might go, or to replace an ageing Arteta, and then there is a back up CF.

So really if we nominate another 4 or 5 who could go – it will not happen, because Wenger has said (as usual) that he wants to keep the squad together, and he has already earmarked positions that need strengthening.

RA. NW is an example of someone responding to a headline and not reading the post.

He makes some decent points though unlike you he doesn’t answer the questions posed in the post

8. 26may1989 says:

Well done, Raddy, a thought provoker.

The players I think we mustn’t sell are Ozil, Szszcesny, Walcott, Ramsey, the Ox, Gibbs and Giroud, and above all others, Koscielny. Cases can be made for most of the others to stay or go, depending on recruits.

I would hate to see Podolski, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Cazorla or Arteta go – even with fading talents, they all remain excellent players, but perhaps more importantly have real experience and team spirit. Having lost Sagna and Fabianski, that is a valuable commodity. Keeping the remainder for next season, and allowing a couple to leave next summer, would seem about right.

Much as we like Rosicky, I can see him making a move, as he retreats permanently into being a squad player. Were we to sign a player like Draxler, how much game time would the Little Mozart get? The same would happen to Flamini were we to recruit a proper DM.

One of the tricky ones for me is Wilshere. I love Jack, he’s an excellent player who I think will become an important English player in his generation. I just have my doubts about whether he’ll do that wearing an Arsenal shirt. I’m not convinced our formation suits him and there’s so much competition already, it’s tough for him to nail down a place. And in that alternate universe, where Cesc came back, Wilshere’s Arsenal career would surely be terminated.

Of the youngsters, Myaichi has that look of a player who’s halfway out of the door already, so I wouldn’t feel disappointed if he left. Gnabry, Zelalem and Sanogo, plus Joel Campbell, all look to have real potential, I hope all of them stay.

And then there’s Diaby. I always sound like I don’t like him but it isn’t that, it’s just the frustration of seeing a player’s potential go untapped and a crucial chunk of our resources go on the gamble that he will get past his procession of injuries. I don’t blame Wenger for that gamble, it’s an understandable one, but we now know we’ve lost out by keeping him on the books. I just don’t believe he’ll ever get past those injuries, so I wouldn’t be sorry to see him shifted on.

Thanks Raddy, a relevant and challenging question.

It is interesting how the ‘chemistry’ of one team can make a player look exceptional but lacklustre when transported into another footballing environment. City and Barca have both fallen into the trap of buying an Arsenal jewel only to find that the Arsenal player they thought they had bought did not translate into their style of play.

Ozil was taken off in his last appearance for Germany to the faint sound of boos whilst Podolski came on and looked top class.

Obviously we need to replace Sagna and Fabianski.

So it is the team ‘chemistry’ that is important to bring out the best in any player. I guess one of the requirements of any good manager is being able to accurately predict how a potential new player will blend in his team.

I have thought that Remy is not at the level we should be looking if we want to sign a second striker, but, the partnership between Remy and Giroud for France looked lethal …. would swapping Podolski for Remy be a good call? Certainly Remy would add pace and genuine width.

10. 26may1989 says:

I like NW’s post – what’s wrong with reacting to the headline? It asks a question to which RC78 also responded.

Hi 26m, I get the impression that NW has been looking to get that off his chest for a while. He should also have read and referenced the article if he wanted to join the debate … otherwise it comes across as a bit of a rant with dictatorial undertones.

12. Shard says:

I love this team and I wouldn’t want to change it. But if I’m being honest, the two players I think we could let go and upgrade on are Podolski and Arteta.

Arteta particularly is a difficult one, especially because of his leadership and experience. He has been really good for the majority of the season, and was up there as Arsenal’s player of the season the year before that. But he is now in the last year of his contract, is slowing down, and the team really could do with some fresh blood there. I hope he can still stay in the squad, but his recent comments indicate to me that he doesn’t see himself in that kind of role just yet.

Podolski is another of those that would be great if you can keep hold of him and he’s happy on the bench. He’ll get you 15-20 goals in a season and offers the shots from distance that we sometimes lack. However he doesn’t really contribute much to the overall game, hence the possibility of an upgrade.

Vermaelen is one who might leave although I hope he stays. I could also see Djourou come back as 4th choice CB if Miquel/Hayden aren’t ready and a Cb cannot be bought to fill that role.

Rosicky I think will stay and see out his contract as a squad member. Especially if Arteta leaves.

For me, Szczesny, Gibbs, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Ramsey, and Ozil and absolute must keep players. Others I think are important are Walcott, Giroud, Ox and Cazorla.

13. arnie says:

Great stuff, Raddy. :) Cleverly constructed I thought to have encourage wide ranging discussion, not least on the question: “Who do you think should empty his locker?”

Nice discussion all round. Nothing new to add I think. It is natural to prepare a pecking order and I agree with general views on here. However, I think Mert should stay.

But, the real point for me is that, there is almost no one in the team who is surplus to requirements. Perhaps one or two midfielders, but I do not know who that might be. Perhaps one of Arteta/ Flamster. Perhaps one of Rosicky and (I hate to say this) Santi. It depends partly on who commands demand in the transfer market, that is enquiries from other clubs. And partly on whose sale the club would make a decent profit, and this in turn depends on how much we spent on the player. On both the first and the second point, we do not have full information, but that will not stop us from thinking aloud.

There is another point as well. Just because we have a pecking order does not mean we need to, or should sell a player immediately. It means only that we can sell the player if, and a big IF, we find a replacement who is better value for us. Price to (quality and fit) ratio as they say, plus demand for the player that we sell. Other players roll over to the next year, when they will likely populate another such pecking order.

Now, I am boring even myself to death, so I will shut up. :) :)

14. arnie says:

I hope Peaches is fine, and her arm is doing fine as well. Just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Or failed to wake up, as teh case may be! :razz: )

Great post, very thought provoking and the comments have been interesting as well.

I think I agree the closest with what Shard said although I notice that you dodged the Wilshire bullet at the end. lol

Arteta and Podolski up grades for me.

Hi Raddy,

A fine post, but as you know I’m one of those ‘odd” supporters that does not get involved in speculation on transfers in or out of the team.

You see, I believe that only Arsene knows.

Oh, another reason is that I like the surprise element when something finally does happen.

18. arnie says:

GN5: “I like the surprise element when something finally does happen” :) :) :)

19. Vinay says:

Sell jack or Santi?? These are the same players who were to be playing for a different club we will be craving for. These 2 are god gifts to us and we should warp them in silk and keep them forever.

We should worry about what we dont have than worry about a player who left us in the lurch.

20. arnie says:

“In December I told them [Arsenal] I would leave in the summer,” Fabianski told UEFA.com.

“I would like to say thank you for the great behaviour of the coach and whole club. They knew I was leaving but they allowed me to play cup games till the end. Because of that, I had opportunity to play a very special goodbye game and to take part in the street celebrations the next day. I was so happy to see all those Arsenal fans.

“Even two days after the cup final, when I came to the training ground to say goodbye to all the Arsenal people, I was asked again whether it was my final decision because if I changed my mind they still wanted me to stay. It was an important gesture for me as it showed me I had gained respect from the boss and other people at Arsenal.”

21. arnie says:

LB: On the “Wilshire bullet”, my personal view is that he is valuable in Arsenal. He can develop into a great player, in which case good, or otherwise, still a valuable counterfoil. His outside value is (still) not sufficiently high to consider a sale. :)

22. arnie says:

Apologies in advance, perhaps bad taste, but funny nevertheless. cannot resist the temptation to post. :razz: :razz: :razz:

23. 26may1989 says:

Hi Vinay. I don’t deny Wilshere’s talents, I just have my doubts about whether the way we are set up is right for him. I think he needs to be in a 442 or something similar. Since we’re not going to switch to that formation any time soon, my logic is that he may well end up having to leave. I hope I’m wrong, the boy is special.

24. Norfolk Gooner says:

26, if Wilshire can overcome his injury problems he can be a great player for Arsenal. The man for our next manager to build his team around, just as England can be built around him for the 2018 World Cup.

25. LBG says:

Totally in agreement with Norfolk. Jack is the player to build the new team around, closely followed by Aaron, but I would sill like them to be supported by the skill, class and now experience of Csec

26. LBG says:

or his brother Cesc

27. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    The post is a little different today i see, and a very novel idea.
    Arsenal a selling club, of course we are, we have a list as long as your arm of talented players who went off to win many trophies, Do you think they regret it, not in a million years, higher wages, transfer percentages and also fitting in teams of super stars.

Judging by some of our own supporters, Wenger has lost the plot, run out of idea’s and his Mojo’s gone. Many have a point as well when you look at who we have sold, Henry Nasri Cashley Fabregas Clichey Song Van Persie Adebayor. Who have we not sold is more the question.

Back to the post and a mighty fine one may i say. Who would i sell out of our FA cup winning side.

Gnarbry Walcott Podolski CZezesney,Campbell Eisfield Akpon just for starters, all these players are surplus i would of course throw Diaby a free transfer just to get him out the sickbay.

The old saying is if you don’t use them then lose them. Then buy players we will use.

Cheers, BR. Very thought provoking.

When I read NW’s comment at lunchtime, I presumed he was responding to RC78’s comment rather than the headline post.

I think that as regards selling, it all depends on who and how many we buy. All of the players mentioned who might be sold played important roles in our season, so why get shot if they can possibly do the same again next? Squad depth is paramount.

LBG :-D

If we could re-sign Cesc I would gladly lose both Santi and JW. This would leave a midfield of Ramsey, Flamini, Arteta, Cesc, Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gnabry and a bunch of youth players

Have I forgotten anyone!

Evening all, lovely stuff Raddy.

Very thought provoking.

If I was being honest the players I wouldn’t sell for love nor money not mega mega money are as follows:

Szczesny, Ox, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Wilshere, Koscielny, Ozil.

This is the core amongst which the new winning generation should be built.

We have some experience already with BFG, Arteta, Pod, Santi and Theo. And now the whole squad has cleared the trophy hurdle we can start looking to add new players to the mix.

Just fancied seeing this goal again. :)

“He won’t get one better than that this season” :)
    Jack’s return pass with his right foot was ok, too.

33. Bayonne Jean says:

Raddy: How about Ozil and Rosicky ??

34. arnie says:

Chas. :) Lovely. you brighten up an “iffy” afternoon/ evening. :) :)

Bayonne. Ozil is untouchable. My hope is that he is dropped from the Germany first 11 and sits out the tournament in Brazil. This will double his determination next season to show what a wonderful player he is.

Same goes for all our players in Brazil.

Rosicky is one of my favourite players so he is a keeper

36. arnie says:

Raddy. :) Yes, let our players sit out the World Cup, or be unjustly left out. Return with full focus and determination. :) :)

37. arnie says:

38. Happy Bear says:

I think you should empty your locker Raddy! Silly ideas like selling our players, pssshhhh. I don’t want any of them to go, well maybe Diaby as I cannot see him playing full season ever. But that is all, the rest are quality and should stay.

Question for you BR – why do you think Koz wouldn’t cost crazy money? Isn’t it up to the club to slap a price tag? Spurs charged £50m for Bale, why can’t we ask anything we want for Kozzer? Except we don’t want to ask, he is staying working for his zimmer frame

39. Shard says:

LB

Haha. I didn’t dodge the Wilshere question because I didn’t realise there was a Wilshere question. Especially since you already give the answer :)

I think Wilshere should be in the squad if I’m honest. I don’t think we can upgrade easily on him and I think he’ll be even better next season. I do have concerns that he doesn’t automatically fit into the team (which is why I didn’t name him amongst the essential players), but I think he can adapt his game to do so, and I don’t think it’s a bad thing that he can do it without being under pressure as the main man or even the young hope. If he gets overtaken by the Ox, or a new signing, well then so be it. But for me, he stays. No point causing unnecessary upheavals in the squad.

40. Shard says:

arnie

I missed the combo of Giroud and Remy in the France- Paraguay game since I was watching the Germany game instead. But on the basis of the last half an hour, I just realised that if Giroud didn’t already play for us we’d all be looking at him and thinking we could do with a player like that. Especially at the 13m that we got him for.

He’s no Suarez or Cavani obviously (very different type of player), but he is very good nevertheless.

Ya Gunner Ya

Just kick that soccer ball…….

43. arnie says:

44. arnie says:

Shard: The Giroud – Remy combination was not bad that evening. :) But the goal in the clip is from the Norway game. Notice though the amount of space allowed. Impossible in the EPL. :)

45. Shard says:

arnie

I know that this was the Norway game, which is why I specified that it was the other game I watched :)

And agree about the lack of space. Do you disagree though that Giroud is very good?

Ahhh, someone spotted the space. I thought that was going to go unnoticed. Subtle but important.

I think OG is very good. Put Theo alongside him and he will score even more next season

Evening all.

Just catching up on the last few days comments and in no particular order here are my thoughts/opinions.

I strongly believe AW would have resigned had we not won the FA Cup,not because of a small majority of so called fans who either booed him or organised “Wenger Out” protests but because he might have felt enough is enough.
    Overall we have improved this season on points and of course winning a trophy but having had time to reflect when we were 2-0 down in the Final I wondered if a better team would have let us turn the game around.

Those heavy loses away are still in my mind and have to be addressed next season.
    We need a better return against the other top sides and we need to boost our goals for.

Injuries and injury prone players are two different things and the players who come to mind in the latter category are Gibbs,Rosicky and Diaby.

IMO we need cover for Gibbs as Monreal isn’t good enough nor is he a LB.

I would like to see a second keeper signed to keep Szsney on his toes,as he like Fabianski and Lehmann has too many mad moments for my liking.

Arteta/Flamini we need cover or even Cesc in that role,but that is unlikely.

If feasable I would loan out Jenkinson and Sanogo and perhaps even Gnabry,but AW will most probably think differently.

I think Remy is joining us but won’t really speculate any further.

AW said he wants to keep the squad together and he hoped to sign 3 players but if others left besides the ones we know have left,he would look for more than 3 players.I doubt that as he doesn’t want to suddenly implement 4,5,6 new players into the squad.

Podolski is the interesting one. Possibly a squad player who will not automatically start or as Raddy hinted as I did months ago he might be bait for a part exchange, or will be happy on his wages to remain..

Yes we are a selling club but it infuriates me that we sell so often to our rivals.

Finally IMO next season will be even more pressure on AW as expectations will become greater and there is no doubt that we have more money to spend than in the last few years.

The space. You mean like Ramsey’s goal vs Liverpool at the Ems? Looks just the same to me and yet in one people question the opposition and in the other it is a brilliant goal :-)

I thought Giroud’s goal was superbly taken against Norway. I recall he scored many goals of similar quality throughout last season.

Not every team in the EPL is capable of marking tightly. But when things are tight is Giroud the go to guy?

No he is not.

In order to win the league we need someone who can operate well in such circumstances.

Ramsey on the other hand has such great control that he is capable of making his own space.

51. 26may1989 says:

Have just been playing around with a squad that followed Exile’s edict (Cesc as deep lying, semi DM), plus my other wish-list items for the summer.

————–Szczesny

Aurier, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs

——-Fabregas—-Ramsey

Walcott——–Ozil———-Draxler

—————Balotelli

SUBS: Marshall, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Giroud

Not sure the defence would get much cover but that does look pretty bloody tasty: pace, width, incisive passing, rampaging from midfield, and lots of options on the bench.

Shame it would cost about £115m. Still, sell two or three other players (perhaps from Poldi, Rosicky, Diaby, Arteta), and we could bring the expenditure down to a very modest £100m…… :)

52. GOONERKAM says:

lol. . BIG RADDY having a fire sale.

53. arnie says:

Shard, LB, Raddy: Late to the party, hmm very late, but here goes. I agree that Giroud is very good. Even playing in a holding position the number of goals he scored this year is fantastic. Watching France play what struck me was how much more effective he could be if we played 4-4-2.

On the space thing, Raddy is absolutely right. On this occasion, Rambo had a lot of space as well. But we have seem Rambo in other situations and know how he can create space through his quick movements.

However, there is one other thing to note. Giroud created his own space by stopping the ball in pace and changing direction, which is to his credit. On the Rambo goal, he found space and positioned himself there and Ozil passed the ball accurately into the space.

Both are extremely good players and great members of team Arsenal. :) :)

54. arnie says:

OK, well, LB basically said the same thing but with more clarity. oh dear, too many drinks. night night. :)

Are Arsenal good in the air? – lies, damned lies and statistics.

58. DidIt M says:

I like this game Raddy.

26’s line up works for me every time, however he points out two things. Light defensively with Cesc there, and I agree, so it’s a no to that with one of the many mentioned DM’s instead.

Then, The Learned Fellow says something about a net spend of £100M. Well, not if you flogged Ollie to facilitate the Balotelli transfer.

Then, my back up CF’s would be switching Draxler or Theo central, and we’d still have Sanogo.

In short then, I’d look to upgrade the top left, top middle and defensive mid (I’m assuming a Bac move and replace is happening).

On Podolski. Am I right in thinking he found a few extra mph in the last few games of the season?

59. DidIt M says:

Still giggling at Lambert to Liverpool, although it probably shows “ambition” to be moving early in the transfer window :-)

60. DidIt M says:

Could be Ox and Jack starting for England tonight. That’ll certainly up the quality of the side.

61. DidIt M says:

I have a prediction.
    If we shift both Park and Ryo, then we will find ourselves another little oriental fellow. Worth looking out for one and having a couple of quid on him.

Best not talk to myself anymore, as I guess Chas has gone to the gymnasium.

*Note: No more Gorgeous or Beauty Salon comments from me. How’s a Fella supposed to wangle CL tickets off his best mates if he upsets them.

What tickets?

63. Shard says:

LB, arnie

I think we’re all agreed on Giroud :)

On a related note of Giroud doing better in a 4-4-2, and with the possibility of getting Cesc back, but the need felt for a more traditional DM, I came across a comment on another site regarding a change of formation.

Giroud would do better with another striker. Podolski probably plays better with that as well. But what then of the number 10 position where Ozil plays?

The suggestion in the comment was a shift to a diamond midfield in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation. A back four, a strong mobile DM, Ramsey and Cesc as the 2 in midfield, and Ozil in the hole, with two strikers up front. The width comes from the full backs operating as wingbacks, with the DM providing the cover for when they move up.

Which I would think makes the squad something like
    Keeper: Szczesny, new signing, Martinez
    LB: Gibbs, Monreal
    RB: Jenkinson, Aurier?
    CB: Kos, Per, Vermaelen, Djourou?
    DM: new signing, Flamini
    CM/AM: Cesc, Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshere, Diaby, Ox, Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky
    ST: Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Sanogo, new signing

Bellerin (more suited to playing as attacking wing back than pure defender right now) Zelalem, Gnabry and Joel Campbell to possibly get some game time as well.

Can we play this formation? I think Chelsea played it under Ancelotti and were fantastic (the only Chelsea team that played good football) Could we? I think if we bring back Cesc, this might be a viable option.

LB. I agree with you, just making a point about the goals

Shard. JD has signed a permanent deal at Hamburg – we got around €3m for him.

In Shard’s squad we need 4 new signings. In 26’s – 3.

Anyone think AW will make them?

I seriously doubt it. AW’s recent history shows how financial prudence is a major factor in his dealings, and despite the improved income I do not see this radically changing.

So – if we are to sign 3 big name players then I see at least one leaving and I predict it will be from midfield.

Shard. Put Theo in the team and we play with 2 upfront.

If we are looking for a dynamic DM, perhaps we could look at WHL and poach Paulinho – he is completely wasted at the Hellhole.

67. arnie says:

Motning all.

Ollie IN, Micky OUT. :)

Nice thoughts, Shard. And food for thought. I like the formation. But whether this is for us, having accumulated too many attacking MFs is the question.

But, then, Arsene will probably say: (a) a great player is a great player in any part of the field, and (b) all players in Arsenal are trained in total football. No, not convinced. :)

68. arnie says:

Raddy. Nope. If we put Theo upfront, we lose his runs down the flank. Poldi with Giroud has not worked very well for us. But Sanogo started to work a bit.

No, whichever way one looks at it, a signing is needed. Remy looks OK, Can we do better? Balotelli, yes. :)

69. arnie says:

Look forward to Jack and The Ox tonight. Against Peru, England was shite in defence. Serves them right for ignoring Gibbs. Bad for England, good for Arsenal. :)

Can anyone explain how Liverpool signed Lambert when the transfer window does not open until July1st?

71. arnie says:

Sliczny. I am warming up to the word. Has a certain aura of glittery glamour about it. :razz:

72. arnie says:

Raddy. :) well spotted. :) :)

arnie. We disagree :-D

IMO Theo is an out and out striker and plays up the pitch alongside OG.

That said, I would like to see how Remy would play in a better team.

74. arnie says:

Yes, Raddy, we disagree. :) what a relief. :razz:

How Remy plays in a better team? Well, the World Cup should tell us. :) :)

75. arnie says:

The World Cup will be fun. Any one who scores a goal will be linked to all EPL teams, in random order of who is fighting against whom. And the assist will attract offers from three quarters of the teams.

Every tackle made will attract attention from half the EPL teams, and every accurate pass a quarter of the teams. What fun! :) :) :)

76. The Cockie Monster says:

Nice team, 26 !…..however, I wouldn`t touch Ballotelli with Giroud`s barge pole….the guy`s nut`s !………and don’t worry about the money, according to the MUM ( Money Under Mattress ), we are rolling in it !.
    £70M per year according to Gazidis and we only ( with Foreheadinho`s sale) spent £30M last season, that leaves us £110M minimum and I say minimum because we have loads of EPL/TV money ( I think we got £90M+ …..relegated Cardiff got £60M , which was more than Manshafter Std got for winning it the previous season ! ).
    Not forgetting our new PUMA deal and here`s the GG ( Ginger Gospel )….I was listening to my fav` radio station on the day Wenger signed his new contract and Perry Groves…..a ledge who currently does Arsenal Stadium tours …….said we have £200/220M in the bank !. Now before the AA accountants start frothing at their abacus balls….Pegs works for Arsenal and I don’t know anyone on this site who does !, so I will believe the Ledge !.

Cockle . I doubt your “ledge” can count up to 200 but you are right – he does work for AFC after a failed attempt to become a cab driver.

78. arnie says:

Cockie. About working for Arsenal, just a minor point. I have friends who, for minimum wages, did small errands at the Ems. Got them the opportunity to watch games, which is why they did it, but the pay apparently was less than Tesco’s. Now, do they qualify as “working for Arsenal”.

Apart from this minor point, your general point is well taken. :) :) :)

79. fatgingergooner says:

Blog in arsenalnuts. Feel free to use it if you’re short over the next week.

80. Shard says:

Raddy

I thought I had read that about Djourou’s permanent transfer too, but the Arsenal website still lists Djourou as an on loan player. So I figured I must have been mistaken. BUt also likely that the .com hasn’t been updated.

And your question of how Liverpool can sign anyone, the transfer window is only a registration period for the leagues. A club can sign any player at any time. They simply cannot transfer registration of a player from one club to another when the window isn’t open.

Morning all …..

….. New post ……

…. from Stevie P, I do hope people read it and just don’t react to the headline!

82. Shard says:

Raddy

I think the financial prudence has always been there with Wenger, but it was only in the stadium building years that the prudence translated to not buying what was needed.

The difference between then and now is that it is much more a squad game than it was. Thanks to the oilers. Arsenal need to adapt to that and have players sitting on the bench even on 100k plus. Which seems to be the case with Podolski anyway. I think we’ll see a midfielder and a striker brought in with Fabianski and Sagna also being replaced. Anyone else will be a bonus signing (unless someone else leaves) and if it is a striker/winger instead of using Joel Campbell for instance, I think we can conclude that the practice of using the first team as a finishing school for youngsters was mostly borne out of necessity rather than only philosophy.

As for Cesc, if we have the money, and we do, and of course provided he is available, I think we should get him. I’m not a huge fan of the way he left us or the line of thinking that he loves us etc. I just think he’s a great player and anytime a great player becomes available, at a reasonable price at that, you should get him. It’s not like we can’t fit him in the team. We’re set to lose Arteta, Diaby, Flamini, Rosicky and Cazorla in the next two years. We can make room for a player like Fabregas now.

arnie
    I think that formation accommodates the extra midfielders that we have very well. Playing in that position with a DM behind them ensures that both Cesc and Ramsey can attack as well as dictate the play. Giroud (or new signing) with Theo up front with Ozil pulling defenses apart. Besides, Cesc isn’t just an AM. He wasn’t that early in his Arsenal career and he’s much more versatile now. Playing him alongside Ramsey will work. People forget how effective a ball winner Ramsey is anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I like that formation with the creative talents of Cesc, and the running of Ramsey in there.

83. Yes! Finally someone writes about birthday