Give Us A ‘D’: Alternative Arsenal Alphabet

Continuing the Alternative Arsenal Alphabet we move onto the letter D.

Please feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments.

D is for…

Donkey

When, early in his career, a young Tony Adams scored at both ends in a 1-1 draw with Manchester United the Daily Mirror thought it would be amusing to publish a picture of him with donkey ears attached. The “donkey” epithet was picked up by rival fans and our Tone had to put up with a lot of stick for a while. But it was the journos and the rival fans who were the real asses. By the end of his career this ultimate one-club man had clocked up the following stats:

669 appearances

32 goals

14 years as Captain

10 major trophies

66 caps for England

1 car crash

512 humungous benders

1 rehab programme

No-one calls him “donkey” any more: just Mr Arsenal.

Doubles

We do love a Double, don’t we? When the club’s first League and FA Cup Double was achieved in 1971 it was particularly pleasing because until then our neighbours up the Seven Sisters Road had been able to claim “Double” bragging rights. (Yes, younger readers, there was once a time when Totteringham were, briefly, a successful club. But, like black-and-white TV, post-war rationing and polio, Spud success has been consigned to the dustbin of history). Of course we then went on to eclipse the neighbours by netting two more Doubles, in 1998 and 2002. Only Manchester United can equal our Triple-Double record.

Derbys

And speaking of the N17 losers, you can’t beat the atmosphere of a North London Derby. On the one hand, a stylish team with stability and class and a diverse and well-informed fan base. On the other, a bunch of permanent losers supported by the entire roster of extras from Planet of the Apes. The first League match between the clubs was in the First Division, on 4 December 1909; Arsenal won 1–0 and that pretty much set the tone for things thereafter. In the years since then, our record in the NLD is as follows: P177, W76, D47, L54. Altogether now: “It’s happened again… it’s happened again… Tottenham Hotspurs, it’s happened again.”

Dein The Divider

David Dein brought Arsene Wenger to Arsenal and helped oversee the acquisition of some truly amazing players (Bergkamp, Overmars, Henry, Vieira, Ljungberg and many more). Perhaps his greatest transfer coup was spiriting away Sol Campbell from under the neighbours’ noses and giving him the chance to play for a proper team. But eventually Dein left under a cloud, flirted with the fat Uzbek and his son, Darren, seemed to be involved in every high profile player departure from Arsenal in the later Wenger years. Some fans want him to come back to team up with Arsene again. Others want nothing to do with him. What will his legacy be? Hero or villain? Or a bit of both?

Divers

I know I’m biased, but I honestly think that when it comes to diving to win fouls or penalties, few clubs are as honest as Arsenal. True, Bobby Pires occasionally went down pretty easily and we did have the Eboue years (but how many other clubs’ fans would have got on a player’s back about diving the way we did with mad Emmanuel?). Eduardo allegedly made one dive (I’m still not convinced) and you’d think he had carried out the slaughter of the first born sons. And I remember Theo diving – just the once – and admitting the fact in interviews. I haven’t seen him dive since. Contrast that with the likes of Suarez, Rooney, Gerrard, Young, Drogba and countless others and you realize that we really are the good guys.

Dandan

If you’re not a regular on Arsenal Arsenal you may not know about Dandan. He was one of the regulars on here (right from the beginning) and always brought wisdom, perspective and humour to his observations. His wise and calming words in the aftermath of some of the club’s bad times were always particularly welcome. Sadly Dandan passed on earlier this year. We all still miss him greatly.

RockyLives

94 Responses to Give Us A ‘D’: Alternative Arsenal Alphabet

Leftover from this mornings discussion and in response to Steve’s question…..

AW has often talked about signings removing the opportunities for youth players, yet recently he seems very excited by the prospect of having the money to buy almost any player.

Wonder how this will pan out. Bellerin looks a prospect at RB and is perhaps 2 years away from the first team – or will he gamble with Jenks with Bellerin as understudy?

Upfront. These are the most expensive signings and we have seen AW has faith in Sanogo. Again it will be interesting to see if he will sign a big name forward, an ageing star (like Villa) or no-one. My guess is we will be back in for Drexler.

Back up GK. Does he trust Martinez who is another fine prospect or keep Viviano or buy give an ageing PL keeper a healthy pension plan?

No idea but fun to think about.

The more I think about the Cesc situation, especially in light of RA’s comment – I doubt he will return. Also we have a wonderful Cesc type player coming through the ranks in Dan Crowley

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, too late for David Villa, he’s gone to New York City in the MLS. Same owners as the Northern Oilers.

Sorry Rocky, I’ll go off to read your no doubt excellent post now.

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

Breaking News.

Arsenal Ladies mid-fielder Ohno is changing her name to…Ohyesyesyes. :D

RL. Some fantastic lines, too many to highlight but I loved this post

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Rocky, Blinding idea,
    Thinking of the D word seems easy when reading the post, but when i sat down and actually thought of one i really had to think.

With all what’s going on in the world of football, and what with the world cup, Champions League and the English premier league the word i did come up with is Dodgy.

Dodgy FA Dodgy EUFA Dodgy FIFA and Dodgy Referee’s. Now i read about match fixers so i suppose i have to include players as well.

I have to say that the only thing that is not dodgy, is this fine post i have just read.

6. 26may1989 says:

Excellent stuff, Rocky.

I think polio is making a bit of a comeback. Unlike Spurs.

Agreed re Arsenal being as honest as they come in modern football – not perfect, but better than almost everyone else. The “always cheating” song is ridiculous. Remember Arshavin jumping up to tell a referee not to award us a penalty when he’d been knocked to the ground without there being a foul? How many others have done that?

I miss Dandan, a great man.

‘D’lightful post Rocky. I particularly like the way you avoid the obvious in this series …. A wasn’t for Arsene and D isn’t for Dennis :P

Defenders. The Famous 5. Will we ever see their like again?

Drugs. How did Merse do it? No wonder his career went west.

Drama. 26/5/89

Defeat. I don’t mind losing but Chavs, L’pool and MC away have left a scar.

Dignity. Mr Wenger

D is for dignity …. Dandan had it in abundance.

Snap Raddy :)

D is for debt, the way the club has managed its debt in the form of the stadium mortgage and with the crash in the housing market affecting the income from Highbury is an example of the way it should be done.

‘D’ is a super letter and deserves to be said twice, like New York, New York.

So, DD is for Double Dutch, the polite way of referring to much of the crap nonsense postulated by those who try to turn every innocent utterance from Mr Wenger into something that was not intended.

Norfolk at 10:01,

Tweren’t me – Twas BR. :-)

‘D’ is for Dumb = Joey Barton and his sexist comment on TV.

‘D’ is for delightful. Rocky’s delightful ability to write a Post that has normally sane bloggers trying to second guess Samuel Johnson and re-write the dictionary/alphabet definitions, just to keep us occupied while he is building his empire. [An alternative to --- 'are we there yet?'] :D

Dreadful, Diabolical, Disgraceful, Disgusting, Demeaning, Deflating, Disconcerting, Disappointing, Distracting, Disagreeable, Discourteous, Discriminating, – The manner in which the best Manager in Arsenal history has been treated by the media and the Diabolical “supporters” who are Disconnected from reality.

– Discourse Done & Dusted.

‘D’ is for Dopey.

My tendency to talk to myself on AA – now that is dopey. :-)

17. 26may1989 says:

It’s a struggle to think of many great Gooners whose surname begings with D. Suitably, there seem to be more disappointments: Denilson, Diaby, Djourou. There was Paul Davis, but that’s reaching back a bit now.

Hi GN5, :-)

Technically, that is not an alternative alphabet or dictionary, but a descriptive adjectival summary of some peoples mannered relationship with Arsene. :-)

Or another double ‘D’ – Deflective Discourse. Nice one. :-)

19. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, Rocky. :) :)

Laet me just add one to GN5’s collection: DISDAINFUL.

And, of course, DISRESPECT. The most important thing that Arsenal stands vehemently against. :)

26,

Can I, perchance, direct you to the second paragraph ‘rules’ of Rock’s tome?

— “Remember, this is the alternative alphabet so the obvious stuff, like players’ names, is not included.”

Lawyers, eh? :-)

21. arnie says:

Dippers, the distasteful also rans.

Here is what the Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dipper) says:

Abbreviation for “bin dipper” aka scouser.

Derived from their habit of foraging in dustbins for food, clothing and mating partners.

Can also be identified by foolish collective belief that Liverpool FC is a major footballing power. Can be found in large (10,000 or so) numbers at a local cesspit aka Anfailed. Although the number of meetings here tends to decline as the calendar progresses towards May.
    :) :) :)

26m,

Dixon Lee, Davis Paul, Dick John, Dodgin Bill, Ducat Andy, Drake Ted, Docherty Tommy.

Darn good players although many were before your time.

arnie,

Are you trying to say your dictionary is bigger than GN5s, or perhaps it is just your huge thesaurus? :-) Tut, tut. :-)

RA,

Although English is my first language – I have never professed to being a wordsmith – I leave that in the good hands of yourself, Rocky and 26M.

However Dissing AW is Disgraceful.

GN5,

Taking up your descriptor tack, can I balance it with some ‘D’ positives that many of us prefer to describe our Boss?

Delightfully charming; Dashingly daring tactically; Decisive in decision making; Dominant among his managerial peer group, Dazzlingly intuitive, Diligent to a fault; Distinguished demeanour, Determined to succeed; Decent to others, Defiant in the face of adversity; Devoted to his team and his club.

Now dat is the way the cookie crumbles! :D

GN5,

I have never professed to be a ‘wordsmith’ either and would never compare myself with some of the esteemed and prolific writers on AA.

I realised that a long time ago, and it is why I never darken the AA screen with Posts of my own, just delight in the gems of others, such as yourself.

In fact, I totally agree with you that Arsene is badly treated by some of the more rabid and indeed rabble rousing ‘fans’.

You will see above that I took a leaf out of your book and gave an ‘alternative’ view of how many of us see our great manager.

[You actually are a worthy 'wordsmith', incidentally.] :-)

Discerning. The excellent bloggers who choose to read the Arsenal Arsenal site

Discriminating, Discerning and Dedicated to the nth Degree.

RA, I Don`t Deserve your praise, and don`t Demean your own Delightful way with words – I would Drool to be as good.

By the way one of the main reasons I prefer AA over other blogs is that here on AA we have Discussions and not Debates.

I wonder when Arsenal will make announcements on which players contracts will not be renewed.

Demeaning Desecration of our beloved football by filthy lucre?

33. Shard says:

Dumbfounded – How I feel when the blog titans whip their D’s out :neutral:

34. Shard says:

I’m actually hoping for some Spurs success this year.. In another sport though. San Antonio Spurs. I hope they beat the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.

Maybe our cross town rivals can celebrate that success like they did the 1-1 at Newcastle and we can all be happy.

Dumb and Dumber – Daniel Levy and AVB

OK, Rasper,

They are good adjectives, and you have given us your Dumb, and Dumber, but who is ‘Dumbest’?

Dumbest = the whole football community who allow Sepp Blatter to remain in overall control of football – a man who pretends to know nothing of the glaringly obvious corruption that led to Qatar getting the WC.

38. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, the dumbest must be the Spuds owner Joe Lewis, he’s the one who appointed Daniel Levy (Dumb), and allows him to change managers as often as he changes his underpants. :D

Rasp,

You are being way too kind -FIFA officials are Despicable, the think they can Delude us with their Dastardly Deeds.

Draconian is even too kind.

40. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp, let’s not be too hard on Septic Bladder, there is an ongoing independent enquiry being carried out by New York lawyer Michael Garcia. I’m sure he will get to the bottom of it all. Oh! Hold on a minute, who appointed Garcia? Oh yeah! Septic Bladder! Well just like the Chilcott report into the Gulf war, I’m sure it will all become as clear as day well within the next decade or two.

Meantime all those in a position to influence the next bidding process should be lining up to open their off-shore, tax haven based numbered accounts in order to facilitate the transfer of bribes.

Cynical? Moi?

41. RC78 says:

D for it has been donkey years since we have won the League :-(
    D for “God Damn it” – Nasri and Clichy add another EPL title to their cabinet since they left us…

Anyways – it seems that Fabregas may make a surprise move to….Bayern Munich to link up with Guardiola since Kross may be heading to Man Utd.

Talking about Bayern Munich, Javi Martinez is not really happy with Guardiola. If we can land him, it will be some kind of master stroke as he is definitely a player that would be able to take us to the other level. Imagine him protecting our back four and allowing Ramsey & co to play with less restraint

RC78. Javi Martinexz …. now we are in business. What a signing he would be though I fear we may not pay the fee as he must be €40+m

Norfolk. I am completely open to bribery. Can you recommend me to FIFA?

I’ve ranted about the Qatar decision since the day it was announced. I don’t expect the WC will be played there. England had the best bid with the stadiums already in place – and we got 2 votes because we didn’t resort to bribery. The Australian bid was pretty good and they would be deserved of the tournament. It could still go to a middle Eastern country as long as the logistics and climate are conducive. When/if Qatar withdraw, I would hope several heads will roll …. but that is by no means certain.

45. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp,

There has always been a level of dishonesty in football, even in our own clubs history. From the very foundation of Arsenal chicanery has been present, it was how we got elected to the Football League rather than Spuds. That, though, pales into insignicance alongside FIFA’s record of bigotry, sexism, bribery and outright corruption.

Surely the present level of scandal swilling around must be enough that even Blatter can’t sweep it all under the table. It’s time this particular cess pit was emptied, but I for one won’t be holding my breath while we wait for those rolling heads to drop into the basket.

Agreed Norfolk. While this persists, the whole of football is tainted. I’ve had some dealings recently with guys who recruit youngsters for EPL academies. In London, the scenario is often that Arsenal, the spuds and the chavs are all vying for the same 10 year old. Apparently the chavs win 9 times out of 10 because they pay the most and the dads of the 10 year olds are very open about the fact that their sons are available to the highest bidder …. a very sad state of affairs.

If the suggestion is that AFC are corrupt in their dealings I will have to ask you to step outside.

(apart from Sir H. Norris and Mr G. Graham – both sacked)

48. Happy Bear says:

so much for Cesc returning to THOF, he aint. Rumour has it that he is targeted by them from n17.

West Ham are selling (like hot cakes) t-shirts to celebrate treble this season. Apparently they beat spurs 3 times :)

49. Happy Bear says:

Rocky – fantastic post,, had me in stitches. Donkey and Dandan being sheer class! Thank you very much, cannot wait for ‘H’, I hope I will get a mention?

HB. Pull yourself together. There is absolutely no chance – none whatsoever – that Cesc will lower himself to N17.

51. 26may1989 says:

There are suggestions Cesc may go to the Chavs, and be paired up with Matic to make a worryingly good central midfield pairing. Please God, no, I don’t think I could cope seeing Cesc playing for them…….

Rasper@ 3:42

Your understandable hope that Quatar will, either voluntarily or not, be removed as the hosts of WC 2022 is not realistic I am afraid.

FIFA will never admit they are all in it up to their necks, allegedly, and even if they wanted to, they would become engaged in interminable legal 26Ms stretching for years and not even FIFA’s treasure can match the Quataris wealth.

Finally, the people to whom any ‘report’ has to be sent is the Committee who are allegedly responsible.

I wonder which way they will vote?

Aside from FIFA themselves the only other authority over them is the Swiss government, and they have shown zero interest in anything to do with Bladder and Co. for years, despite some questionable ‘events’.

We will have to suck it up.

53. The Cockie Monster says:

Durham (Adrian) !. Much maligned, but believe me, he is a Gooner !. I know the Doctor who gave Durham his rear end Prostate check up !……and in a world exclusive, can reveal Durham has Willy Young and Perry Groves faces tattooed on his testicles !.

Durex !. Why the fcuk didn`t……….Terry`s, Sherringham`s, Gilzean`s, Blatter etc`s fathers wear them ?.

Doppelganger !. The above and anyone else you hate are all Doppelgangers for my Dick !.

Doner kebab, Double Diamond,and Dunhill`s !. I bet GIE could get through ten of each of these before any AAer has a chance to sniff their salad !.

Debate !. This site is well known for it`s knowledgeable mass debaters !.

The rest of my “D`s” are too rude for this site………actually my whole alternative alphabet is too rude !. hahaha

54. arnie says:

off topic, but …

55. arnie says:

Regarding Qatar, my guess is that the investigations will find nought. Not because there was no bribery, but everyone is complicit.

But where this breaches traditions is in the behaviour of the English press. Just to quote a headline from the Sunday Times: “Qatar too hot, too small, and with no football culture”. Eh? Somehow this makes me deeply sad and angry.

Let us please the fans from European countries and have the World Cup forever in Europe, I say. :razz:

56. arnie says:

Yes. DECENCY, DECORUM and DIGNITY. Fortunately for us, Arsenal abounds in these qualities. Unfortunately the football world is too far removed. :) :)

57. arnie says:
  58. Happy Bear says:

Theo :) :) :) :):) :):) :):) :):) :):) :):) :)

D is for Doo……. Oops Room 101 warning.

D is for Dial Square not alternative maybe but it’s the history that distinguishes us.

Devastating ….. Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp

Dreadful refereeing bias

Dubious promotion to the First division

Cesc needs to feel the love.

He hasn’t squashed the transfer rumours yet as first and foremost he would like Barça to say that he is part of their future and that they want him to stay. If that doesn’t happen, well I am sure you know, he would be welcomed at every club in the EPL

Except, and it saddens me to say this……………Arsenal.

We are the only club chock full of attacking midfielders and as such there is no place for him at THOF.

He should have followed Peaches advice — she said he was being silly to consider leaving.

Ricky Lambert to Liverpool………….what?

Brenda really did just get lucky last season, don’t ya think?

LB read yesterday’s post…..you haven’t been paying attention ;)

Actually guess what I wrote without looking, consider age, skill set, and who he could replace in current team……no not Jack.

On Lambert it seems a strange one (32 years old) but Rodgers needs a bigger squad…..and whisper it but FFP is working and even with CL money next year Liverpool will fail the 3 year test at the end of the season, should they still be in the CL they will face UEFA sanction, expect Suarez to go, Sturridge and Sterling to be the pace and Lambert to be the pivot and another cheap alternative be brought in.

D is for another Delicious Rocky post.

D is for Donkey wins the Derby.
    I had a T shirt which was printed after that game with a cartoon chicken in each of Big Tone’s hands. I wonder where it went?

Speaking of which, did you find some other interesting artefacts in your loft clear-out, DidIt?

Scariest surf vid ever.

Highlights from Wembley………..

67. DidIt M says:

Interesting artefacts? Mmm, usual boxes of old programmes, One Nil Down, Two One Up’s etc. Ooo, and 70’s training top nicked from dressing room (not by me).

68. DidIt M says:

Lambert to Liverpool!!!????

Damn that’s funny, and a little sad as I liked their speedy attacking football.

69. DidIt M says:

That dart …. superb.

That wave…jeepers. Probably mentioned before, but one cubic metre of water weighs one ton!

“Chelsea FC’s official website said Lampard “helped change the way football views the modern central midfield player” and that he leaves with the club’s “enormous gratitude”.”

Enormous an apt word as the only way I think Frank changed the way we view a modern central midfielder is that he could be a bit porky….but Jan Molby was doing that years ago.

71. DidIt M says:

Exile
    Glad the Old Man’s good, and equally glad the Mrs did run off with Spikey. These things happen when he’s around, what with being a Druid and having spells and shit.

72. LBG says:

GiE
    Recognise your tongue in cheek dig at Porky Lampard, and personally hate the Chavs and Maureen more than anyone or team, including Manure and Rv….##€$$$, but think description on Chelsea website is spot on. Three players helped changed “the way football views modern central midfield players” particularly in this country- Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Now you might argue it never really helped us as a nation to win a major international trophy, but I would have taken any of them at the Arse at their peaks.

73. Happy Bear says:

what’s up DidIt, you changed the name and the address – are you on a witness protection run? Whom did you grass up?

Hi Sliczny

LBG. I am afraid we will have to discuss this further….

Are you telling me that Scholes (or Gerrard & FatLamps) was any different to say, Bobby Charlton in his style of play? Neither could tackle, both could run the midfield and take the ball from a CB, both could shoot and score and both were box to box MF’s.

Or Micky Thomas?

I think this is just more Chav rubbish to hype what has been a wonderful career and a fine player.

HB :-D

The two vid’s this morning are very good. The surfing one shows just how brave (read mad) these people are. Amazing how smoking weed affects the young.

76. Happy Bear says:

the worst part of Fat Frank’s retirement is the fact that he will now become a TV pundit and we will have to listen to him as well as the despicable Lineker, Shearer, Hansen and Lawro. Brrrr….

Falcao won’t play in the World cup (knee injury)
    Lineker thinks that Wayne should not start against Italy
    Shearer thinks that Wayne must start against Italy

77. arnie says:

motning all.

Evonne. :) “the worst part of Fat Frank’s retirement is the fact that he will now become a TV pundit and we will have to listen to him as well as the despicable Lineker, Shearer, Hansen and Lawro.” :) :) :)

78. LBG says:

Raddy
    Dont see you are really disagreeing with me given your response.
    Charlton was unique in a completely different era – by the way could not tackle, and had nothing like the engine of any of those three mentioned. Micky Thomas brings us forward a couple of generations in footballing terms, but I would still rate all three better than him by a good distance. Whilst we all know of Scholes’ inability to tackle, I dont believe you can accuse either of the other two as poor defensively when required. Haven’t thought about it for long, but the only other moderndayish player, from this country, that I would rank with the three would be Bryan Robson.

79. arnie says:

nice vids, Chas.

Poor disguise, Micky. Micky OUT! :)

80. Happy Bear says:

mind you arnie, I wasn’t too keen on Gary Neville’s change of career and now I think he is the best thing since Wiziwig tv. Mind you again, jammie c would be ok too if not for his put on accent (I refuse to believe that it is natural for anybody would talk like that)

Got to say I am with BR on this one.

There are many other excellent midfield players, such as Viera, Bergkamp, Keane etc who were just as good as Lampard and in my opinion far better – so the Chelsea spin is just that.

Fat Frank surprised many by becoming a fine player, but he did not have the skill of many others.

82. arnie says:

Enjoying the MF discussion. I think LBG is focussing on English players. :)

Evonne. Exceptions prove the rule. :)

83. arnie says:

Redders. Motning. Regarding yesterday, unfair of you to suggest I was carrying a large thesauras on my shoulders. Competing with GN5? Never, Neither the ability, nor the audacity. :)

LBG. It was just your assertion that the 3 had changed our views of modern MF’s which concerned me.

All 3 were/are superb players and it would be churlish not to accept their influence but I do not see their roles differing from MF’s over the past 30+ years.

BTW I agree that all 3 are better than Micky – but none of them have scored in the last minute at Anfield to win a title :-)

Robson is a good example.

Arnie’s 9.10 is pre-empting the next Alternative Arsenal Alphabet!

86. arnie says:

Raddy. :) It has been somewhat on my mind. :) this Rocky is very very clever. he has successfully put this alphabet in our minds now. :razz:

I thought there was also a Chas post and a GN5 “easy” quiz in the locker. :)

arnie. I believe there are and one of mine but always room for more.

88. arnie says:

Quiz question: who is this?

No marks for guessing right. :razz: allegedly an Arsenal target as well. Oh, how I love and hate the transfer season. :razz:

89. arnie says:

Raddy. ah! the matriarch has plenty to choose from these days. too much choice? :razz: cannot complain, no really cant! :)

90. LBG says:

Raddy – not “my assertion” – but I agree with it! Have to disagree with your assessment of last 30 years.
    RA – Viera/Keane predominantly defensive midfield players ie not goal scorers. Bergkamp, THE No 10.
    Micky Thomas is a LEG END in the true sense of the word.

91. arnie says:

allegedly, another transfer target.

name is Willy. kid you not. :razz: