Arsène Wenger – it has to be said ………

I, for one, was thrilled to hear the news yesterday that Arsène Wenger had, at last, signed his new contract. We have him for another three years and credit has to be given to the man for wanting to stay in a job that might have destroyed other men.

Arsene and the team

The stress that he’s been under this season has been etched on his face and he’s often looked really ill when things have gone wrong. I believe he loves this club deeply and if he didn’t think he could improve on this years position he would have walked away.

I’m not opposed to change but I think he still has a job to do and three years gives him time to do it.

We have some great young players in our squad that he knows are going to improve, if I were him I wouldn’t want someone else to get the credit for putting together a great team. You only have to look at Aaron Ramsey to see how Wenger’s faith in a player is rewarded.

I’m not ashamed to admit that my support for his management has wavered in the last three seasons. I have been confused by some of his decision making and have at times felt that he may have lost the dressing room but the scenes of the players hugging him after the cup final win and the crowd singing his name after the parade have banished those thoughts.

Arsene and Ox

Although football is a simple game, it’s not an exact science and so unusual things can and do happen. We were on the cusp of a trophy in 2012 and had we won the Carling Cup we wouldn’t have to listen to 9 years without a trophy. We have a trophy now and hopefully the press will soon stop reminding us how long it took to win one ;)

What I do hope he can ensure doesn’t happen again is the regularity with which we collapsed under early goals. Those defeats hurt all of us although it has to be said we would have been champions if we’d not dropped a few points against lesser opposition. How funny would that have been to have won the title whilst losing those big games? If’s and but’s ………..

The World Cup will be a good distraction for not having any Arsenal for a few weeks but I for one can’t wait to get back to the Emirates and sing my teams name.

Thank you Arsène.

Arsene and Vermaelen

Written by peachesgooner – still a Wengerite

90 Responses to Arsène Wenger – it has to be said ………

Peaches,

How could you possibly still support Wenger – he’s only won one trophy in 9 years?

Only kidding………………..

Kelsey in, Kelsey in, Kelsey in.

GN5 to Kelsey where are you?

4. arnie says:

Lovely post, Peaches. :) Back to today’s post in a bit but before that unfinished business from yesterday.

5. Ha ha GN5 :)

Thank you JM for that video I didn’t have time to look for it.

Peaches I’m in the process of writing a tribute to Arsene, hopefully for next Friday.

7. Actually GN5 knowing how you feel about posts with AW in the title I wasn’t sure whether you’d read it :)

8. Keno says:

correction, he has won eight in eighteen!!, you must be 9 years old!!,

9. GN5 – that’s good, I know you’ll do him justice.

Hi arnie, small wonder he was called “Safe Hands” he was a magnificent goalkeeper. We have been blessed with some superb goalkeepers over the years including the late great Jack Kelsey he played in an incredible 352 games from 1949 to 1962.

11. Very nicely put Peaches.

12. JM says:

@ peaches (that was the 1st post, a video on AW) and here’s more:

Peaches, I knew that you would never take his name in vain and use it just to attract hits.

I hope that I can do justice to him and will give it my best shot.

14. JM says:

DD understands AW more than most (well, possibly everyone else other than AW himself, since he hired our manager in the first place):

Keno,

To be precise he has won 8 in 17.79.

16. GOONERKAM says:

Very nice PEACHES. can’t argue with any of that. The cup win will inject much added energy and enthusiasm to AWs work routine. The team has a very good base and with a little tweaking here and there we will be able to contest all competitions we are in next year. Can’t wait…

Peaches – still a Wengerite. Me too.

Really enjoyed the DD interview. It was a sad day when he was removed from the board.

18. Happy Bear says:

a rare treat, post from Peaches :) Great read, thank you P!! You just make sure that you believe 100%, no more doubts – Arsene is the best manager in the world, and he is ours!!!!

Does anybody know how many teams were relegated almost immediately after they built a new stadium? I think someone said on the radio that all, except for Arsenal. That’s how good our Boss really is.

Thank you Church Bells for the lovely post

Ding – Dong.

Peaches there’s another quiz in the mail.

21. arnie says:

Brilliant stuff, Peaches. :) what a treat, indeed.

Change is inevitable, and it will happen at some point. will we get a better manager in the process? Likely NOT. It is impossible to emulate Arsene’s class, dignity, method and its results.

However, we are a different club, and we will plan the transition well. And Arsene will plan the future management of the club as carefully as he has planned every game during his tenure and continues to do so. That is my expectation. That is what makes us different!!

COYG. :) :) :)

22. arnie says:

Lovely videos, JM, brilliant, absolutely brilliant stuff. :) :) :)

23. Congratulations to Santi for making the cut !

24. Sav from Australia says:

Nice post! Arsene Wenger will see the project through and write a few new chapters in European and world football history. What a team, what squad we have. I feel privileged to see them play. Because I know I am seeing the evolution of history in the making.

25. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, back early from fishing family birthday meal tonight.

I must say that Arsene signing his contract is worthy of your fine post Peaches, but for one thats not to bothered with a change you surprise me. :)

I have to say that i felt Wenger would stay, in fact i would have been petrified had he left, who else is out there that you would want running the show.

I read other peoples blogs and find some of the stuff i read quite amusing, Here we are forth in what some people say is the best league in the world, We win the FA cup and we also get through the group of death in Champions league, and still supporters complain.

20 teams in this league and they all want silverware, even more-so a top 4 place, many who only make the Europa league are still very grateful, but some of our supporters have still got to moan. People seem to think that just because we are The Arsenal, that we have a given right for silverware, well i can assure all of them that Wenger has done absolutely fantastic.

17 years in Champions league, leagues and cups, not counting finals which some we came off second best, or were cheated out of them. Sorry for the rant, but its not as easy to run a football team like some people think, and not another Manager in this league can hold a candle to him.

Arsene Wenger builds teams, many teams,, he doesn’t come in and take the glory for other peoples work . Wenger got another 3 years because he has bloody well earned it, he bleeds red and white and he is as loyal as you could wish to find.

Rant over and fine post Peaches :)

26. Hi steve – do you think that at any time he wasn’t going to be offered a new contract?

I feel the point is that he signed up for another three years. Obviously he gets paid handsomely but surely no amount of money at this stage of his life can compensate for the grief he gets.

Also, he would have decided that three years was what he wanted, just a hunch about the last point ;)

27. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Peaches, Never a doubt. Champions league qualification is around 30 mill he has done that forever, 8 mill a year is chicken feed for what he brings in ask Daniel Levy

28. stevepalmer1 says:

Peaches at sixtyfour years of age 3 years is a long time, but if health becomes a problem we could let him go, anyway he thrives on adrenalin.

And AW has been earning at least 5m a year for many many years.

His total AFC wage must be more than the cost of Ozil! How much money does a man so obsessed with football need?

The money is irrelevant. The job is everything

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Off out laters

31. arnie says:

I do not think as a manager age matters that much. However, what matters is perhaps the idea that new ideas can help move the club even further forward. I am sure as the most (only?) credible member on the club management side, and as a true Gooner, that thought will be foremost on Arsene’s mind.

Hopefully, in three years time, we will have a solid succession plan in place. Mind you, it will always be second best. We cannot expect a newcomer to start producing results as good as Arsene straight after taking over. Perhaps we cannot expect him/ her to deliver such results ever. However, we expect forward thing robust views and new ideas about how to take the club and the game forward. New and fresh ideas.

If such a person is found, Arsene can well decide to and may be allowed to take up a new role on the Board. If we do not find such a person in three years’ time, Arsene may have to continue, and that is not too bad. But the search for a new person should proceed now and in earnest.

That is my tuppence worth of bollix. :)

“Hopefully, in three years time, we will have a solid succession plan in place”

arnie. Exactly. My guess is that the board have already many irons in the fire.

33. arnie says:

Raddy. dont know about many irons, but some iron appears to be in the fire. there will surely be a process of trial and error. exciting times on the club management front. :)

34. Anyway, he had to stay so that he could bring the boy home, this might make you cry chaps.

35. arnie says:

brilliant stuff, Peaches. Arsene, please bring Cesc home. I dont care if he is only half his former self, but the vibes will be so positive, it will just push us into the stratosphere!! :)

36. arnie says:

Cricket turning out to be interesting. are you watching, Raddy?

37. arnie says:

to be continued …. indeed, I hope so, we hope so.

Sure am Arnie but unbelievably I have to go out with just 7 overs to go.

39. fatgingergooner says:

Cesc please!

40. arnie says:

having been trying to unearth some videos relating to GN5’s posts. better late than never?

41. Happy Bear says:

so Wenger is paid £5m a year and for the past 19 (?) years he got us into the CL, which is worth about £180m a year. You don’t have to be an accountant to deduce that he earned his keep, no?

More Cesc please!

42. Happy Bear says:

why is the friendly Ireland v Italy played at Craven Cottage???? Why not at the Ems?

43. GOONERKAM says:

Maybe it’s a good sign or maybe not but at the very top picture who should be WENGERS right hand man and low and behold who should be his left hand man.
    Allready saddened to see a very good goalkeeper go to another team. So ARSENAL take care to do your best to keep the crew together. We have unfinished bussiness coming up.

44. arnie says:

Celebration of Arsene as much as Mr Arsenal

45. arnie says:

George Armstrong. I think Chas might have posted this earlier, but what the heck!!!

46. arnie says:

Next, ladies and gentlemen, comes Lee Dixon.

47. arnie says:

Nigel Winterburn

48. Happy Bear says:

this was on the telly earlier on tonight, I am still ROLFing, look at him

Number 1 on his shirt, number 2 in his pants
    The only player that fouled himself

49. arnie says:

David Seaman

what more can one say? :)

50. arnie says:

“There’s only One Pat Rice”

51. arnie says:

Back to Arsene.

52. arnie says:

Evonne. :)

53. arnie says:

Loic Remy, allegedly? :razz:

54. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, I would think that our future manager is already at Arsenal learning the Arsenal way, In charge of our youngsters and under the watchful eye of Arsene. I would imagine he will work with all our youngsters, then in a couple of years he will step into Bouldies place, ready to bring the young future talent in..

55. arnie says:

steve: that is what many of us think, but no one can be sure. :razz:

Nice one Peaches.

I believe Arsene made some demands on spending power this time…..why? Because Arsene is not stupid, and he has been well aware of the financial constraints we have operated under, and despite them he took us close last year. He knows those days are over, he knows the club has much unimproved financial position.

I do believe the only thing keeping him is the chance to win a league again, the club has managed this season and last to tie down our best players to longer contracts, only three seasons ago they’d be angling for more money elsewhere and we wouldn’t be able to match it, now it would appear we are not giving them a chance and the only players leaving are doing so for footballing reasons (ie not playing enough)

Now I have an idea for a post today onthe first player I’d like to see arrive.

57. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    It was well reported that when Arsenal went to the banks for funds to build Emirates Stadium,, that Arsene Wenger would have to agree to frugal spending for them to grant our loans. From what i can remember, the mortgage was for either 20 or 25 years and should we ever get in a position where we could pay that debt off early, we would encounter penalty clauses that would make paying off early very expensive.

How long those restrictions were was never reported, but i do remember reading that Wenger could only spend what money he wins or player exchanges.

That in all honesty is how Arsene Wenger has done his buying, Mesut Ozil’s record signing was out of the blue, but Wengers spending had been very frugal, and deadwood players moving on and player sales made that money available.

Now i wouldn’t have thought that any club would have taken this loan on, for the whole length of the mortgage, so i would imagine we are coming to the time where restrictions are off.

Ten years would have been acceptable to us for the amount of the loan, Make or break you may call it, but sacrifices had to be made to secure Arsenals future.

Our inclusion in champions League has been very helpful for Arsenal, as it has cushioned the tight times, selling our best players at certain times has also been how we financed other buys.

Arsene Wenger has not only run a very tight ship with reasonable results, he has also given our financial team money to balance the books.

Wenger may not be the best tactician on the field but his degree’s in nearly everything else has launched Arsenal into the big time.

Nobody ever expected big money people coming into the game, and had things stayed the same, Wenger’s results could have been staggering. As it is, he still has done very well indeed to keep us as the one of the top 4, and to help Arsenal move to a new stadium to enhance our funds.

Hopefully those restrictions are nearing the end and we can compete in a very tough market. The fruits of his labours are about to unfold and interesting times are ahead, I for one is looking forward to it.

58. stevepalmer1 says:

I do believe that the restrictions are coming to an end, as Arsene has made sure that some of our sales of top players, all had buyback clauses written into their contracts, Maybe a return of Fabregas who knows. :)

Steve I think the most under appreciated thing was the cash up front deals with Nike and Emirates to make the stadium possible in the light of the economic downturn.

They were paltry in comparison to today’s deals or even deals struck by Spuds and Dippers in last two/three years the latter would fail FFP rules even with their sponsorship/kit deals which were £10-20m a season more than ours. Somehow we managed to stay FFP compliant and stay in the CL and even bring home a trophy.

No one else has had to go through that pain barrier and try to stay at the top, City only lease the CoMS, because OT is in Salford they’ve always had room to build and expand without pissing off locals. Chavs, Spuds, Dippers and Toffees all play in a stadium like (but obviously not as good as) Highbury. It is true that financially the TV money increases probably mean stadium rebuild is not the only source of improving finances, but if you want 250,000 fans at your victory parade compared to 80,000 that turned up to Chavs CL parade, you need to get people through the doors, our stadium allows that, theirs do not.

60. stevepalmer1 says:

Good points Exile, Glad to hear your Dads on the mend mate.

I did read that our catering at the Ems was also for about 20 mill but i am certain that was for ten years, that must be coming up for renewal.

61. stevepalmer1 says:

Because we needed money up front Exile, I think we took low offer sponsorships, mind you they had to wait till it was built before they could start earning.

62. Happy Bear says:

GiE – good news about Dad!!! I know what you mean about worrying about him when he didn’t want to talk about footy – that must have been serious!!

My mum hates my passion for Arsenal, but when I don’t want to watch games, she worries, she knows I am ill

63. Happy Bear says:

This looks very promising

feck Qatar and feck Sep Blater

Great little post, peaches.
    The only downside to Arsene signing on for another three years is that the Wengerout brigade will still jump on any poor result with the same vigour.
    Still I suppose they’d still be about even if we had a new manager but just moaning about something else.
    Geoff must be loving it. :) (Do you know if he went to the cup final?)

Arsenal Ladies on BBC2 at 4.30pm……

That’s better. Feckin twitter.

68. Happy Bear says:

morning gorgeous!

69. Happy Bear says:

some of you might not know, but Carl Froch is very proud of his Polish Jewish roots. Great guy, terrific boxer, me proud

70. stevepalmer1 says:

We all look at FIFA and we see that there has definitely been fiddling going on, and most of us are aghast.

But when looking into it closer, you find that we sent representatives to speak to members on the committee who in turn gave us the nod.
    Our own delegation were astounded by the vote for Qatar but only because they thought our fix was in.

Football is big money now, we all know its fixed, so why be surprised , England are as guilty as FIFA’s committee and we all know it

I like the stoopid dog second from the left best.
    They ought to trim that hairy thing on the end.

Have you got your mutts doing that?

The sun is shining and GiE has written a post :)

evonne – are you thinking of training your dogs to perform like those in the video?

73. Happy Bear says:

oh, I liked the left one best, like a bear, yummy

No, my crew is stupid beyond belief!! Completely disobedient, disloyal, couch potatoes, no idea why I love them

74. Snap chas :) I don’t know the answer to your question about Geoff, he can’t have so stubborn as not to go to the final ….. but you never know.

75. Happy Bear says:

wooooooooooooow, what a punch, would knock out an elephant

Steve – don’t get me wrong, I am not even remotely interested in the politics or corruption side of the Qatarie vote. All I am interested in is having the world cup during the summer, like it should be, in a normal atmosphere, without endangering our players.

76. stevepalmer1 says:

Watched the fight on a stream last night and a very good one as well, No mistake about the winner this time, what a punch.

77. arnie says:

motning all. very nice discussions this motning. would like to briefly wade into two issues.

First FFP and all that will not work. People will always find loopholes or try and cover up. The fact is that there is a lot of money in footie and more money is rushing in. A lot of money has been made in business during the 1970s to 90s and there are a lot of rich people. There are not that many good investment opportunities. Desperation led to the mortgage crisis.

Now, sports has emerged as one of the best safe bets, and footie one of the main players. Hence money is pouring in. And as the south continue to produce rich people more and more will pour in. In principle, I do not see a problem with this so long as the football side is left to the experts. And so long as an illusion is not created that FFP and all that will be in force, which leads Arsenal up the wrong lane.

Qatar is similar. As a venue for the WC, there should be no problem with Qatar. Everywhere in the world people play footie. If the dainty European players would have their way, the WC should be played forever in Europe. They even have problems with places like Brazil, let alone Qatar. If Qatar/ Iraq/ Iran/ Timbuktoo can play there, why cant players from rest of the world?

No, that is not the problem. The problem is corruption, once again because there is too much money in footie. Steve is right. Kickbacks happen all the time. The FA is disappointed that its bribes did not do the trick! The situation is a bit depressing, to be honest.

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Bear, understand your sentiments entirely, but corruption and politics affects all of football, and its quite evident here as well. We can’t keep turning our heads as if its not there mate.

This is quite long but interesting if you’ve seen these chaps tweeting.
    Arsenal is a community. :)

80. Happy Bear says:

sorry steve, but I have very low morals. If corruption helped England to host the World Cup, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that, on the contrary, I would be quite content :)

Morning Guys (and Gals).

arnie, I suspect that a lot of murderers are not caught, so clearly Laws banning it do not work – so we might as well ignore it if we take your FFP comment seriously.

In fact, we might as well ignore every Law that has ever been passed by governments all over the world, as someone has broken them – over and over again.

Anarchists Rule — Elect Arnie!! :-)

82. stevepalmer1 says:

Looking at the Champions league, had we not qualified we would not have got the full 30 mil, we did but the group of death was no coincidence, we were never supposed to get through that, but we did. Beyen was our undoing, and we almost overturned that. I can never see them let us win CL Wenger banned off of touchlines also couldn’t stop us Christ knows what they will try next season.

83. arnie says:

Redders: :) I am no anarchist, but I have nothing against them. In fact I suspect there may be some anarchists, current or former, amongst us here on AA. :razz:

If at all, I believe in a benevolent and altruistic state. However, the Platypus – Bladder duo is no state, and they have their own vested interested. Some laws are better than nothing. But money talks, and the way money is keeping on flooding into football, there is to my mind only one outcome.

Should we not therefore try and fight for an alternative? of course we should. should we not be different and defiant? of course we should. should we not try to develop a financially sustainable model in football. of course we should.

COYG. :) :) :)

84. arnie says:

On the Qatar being too warm business. Did any one ask these questions when our servicemen were deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why now? Do we think our footballers are somehow more valuable human beings? Sad, very sad. :sad:

85. Wading in here ……….. it’s not just about the footballers playing in high temperatures it’s about supporters being able to manage the heat too. Supporters from all countries follow their teams to the World Cup not just the England ones.

I feel it was a ridiculous idea to even think of holding it there. The corruption started long before the voting.

86. We have a New Post ……………..