FA Cup win 2014 – A Canadian Celebration

The Game is still to be played………..

The Cup is still to be raised……….

The Story is still to be written………..

The game has now been played the Cup has been raised and here is GunnerN5’s story -

At 8:00 a m on May 17, 2014 GunnerN5, JnrGunnerN5 and Mrs. GN5 left London Ontario for the 2.5 hour drive to The Mad Hatter in Mississauga Ontario, we dropped Mrs. GN5 off at a friends house on the way. JnrGN5 was supposed to be the driver but he was still exhausted after attending a junior hockey cup play off game on Friday evening and partying into the early hours of Saturday morning, but at least he picked us up on time. Anyway GN5 ended up being the driver and was accompanied on the journey by snoring from both Mrs.GN5 and JnrGN5, which they both adamantly deny.

We arrived early expecting a full house but to our pleasant surprise we were the first to arrive and they let us in even though the pub would not officially open for another 45 minutes.

GN5 Before FA Cup (1)

We picked the best table, with an unrestricted view of the TV and saved a spot for neamman, who was meeting us there. The Mad Hatter is not a big pub and is only licensed to hold 180 people but on big game days the pub overflows.

GN5 at Mad Hatter

Arsenal doesn’t command a huge amount of supporter’s in Mississauga but they are a loyal, loud and passionate group and by the time the game kicked off our section was full, so arriving early really helped. Suffice to say that we were all left stunned after 9 minutes, going down 2-0 was totally unexpected and quite shocking, but we felt that by Hull getting their goals early left us with more than a fighting chance of getting back into the game. Sheer pandemonium broke out after Santi’s incredible goal from his laser guided free kick and our undying faith in the team was being justified.  GN5 was drinking alcohol for the first time in two months and the effect of the red wine was enhanced by the goal, so I ordered another carafe.

Arsene made a critical substitution by bringing on Sanago for Podolski, changing to a 4-4-2 system which caused Hull’s 3 center backs trouble for the first time in the game but the tying goal was still elusive. At the 71st minute Laurent Koscielny managed to make the noise level (after Santi’s goal) seem quiet, as this time I felt the noise reverberating off of the ceiling and I desperately wanted to hear that noise just one more time – I ordered another carafe of red wine.

When extra time started my instinct told me that there would only be one winner as the calmness of our manager and the resolve in our team would prevail, however I still felt a tinge of apprehension. Arsene made two more astute substitutions by bringing on Jack Wishere and Tomas Rosicky their combined energy and inventiveness created havoc in the Hull defence.

However, it was left to Aaron Ramsey – who left Wembley in tears as a schoolboy following defeat with Cardiff in the 2008 final against Portsmouth – to complete a remarkable turnaround, when from the edge of the box, he crashed home a smart back heel from Olivier Giroud on 109 minutes. Our Welsh wonder boy turned my apprehension into euphoria and the Pub simply exploded into unadulterated elation and everybody went insane, the noise level was deafening, the singing was loud and it seemed to last an eternity.

GN5 Arsenal win FA Cup

GN5 has not felt this good about a FA Cup victory since Alan Sunderland slid in the winner against Manchester United in the 1979 Cup Final. The wine and the team had cast a magic spell over GN5 and I was too deep into my trance to be the driver on return trip – and long may the trance last….

Arsene lifting fa cup

Arsene getting tossed

We are The Arsenal – who are we? – We are The Arsenal

Finally lets have a look a bit further back in our history and look at Arsene Wenger. He has won an incredible 5 out of 6 of his FA CUP FINALS – we are simply blessed to have him as our manager and history will eventually silence his critics.

We are The Arsenal – who are we? – We are The Arsenal

Written by GunnerN5

149 Responses to FA Cup win 2014 – A Canadian Celebration

Oh brilliant, can’t wait to get stuck into this one. Back in an hour.

2. LBG says:

Gunner N5
    What a marvellous post and so worthy of the AA Family posts that we relish on this site. Good to put a face to a brain, as well. Glad you enjoyed the special weekend so many miles away. The only way is up!

3. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Blinding GN5, The writing was on the wall and you knew it. Nice to see you finish off in style mate.

I must admit i have watched Arsenal win most of their trophies over the years and as soon as we win them i forget them and move onto the next challenge, well not forget them, but you know what i mean.

This FA cup was memorable as we came from behind and overcame, Taking nothing away from Hull, but in all honesty we made a bit of a meal of it.

9 years has been a long time for all of us, and it must have felt like 20 to Arsene, but as you rightly said N5 he made the right changes at the right time, and we got the result.

Arsenal seem back in the race again, although never being out of it it certainly felt like that at times. Arsene Wenger has, in all fairness to him, been superb all the while he has been with us.

Many of us believe that our long wait has been through financial restraints, and that we have always been lagging behind, but i don’t see it quite like that.

Arsenal football club is in good hands, many would disagree i’m sure but we have remained competitive over all these years and have even got to finals to prove it. Yes we have had some bad luck along the way but that’s football, but we have still been there.

For many years we get what seems like far to many injuries, seems a lot more than other clubs, or that’s what i tell myself, and that is what i feel our problems have been.

Get our house in order medical wise and i feel that we could and should have won a lot more in those barren years.

I look forward to the world cup, but i also look forward to Wenger spending a few quid. We have tasted victory again and were hungry for more, Come on Arsene dig those superstars out, and lets have the League next season.

4. Vinay says:

Its a week to the day now and i still am reeling under the cup win. Remembering the tension, the nerves the euphoria makes me want to relive this once again, every given week.
    That game will live in the memories of all of us for the rest of our lives mainly because it was sheer relief and gratification of the faith we have and had on this team for so long.

Who are we, yes we are the Mighty Arsenal and we are FA cup championsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Fabulous post GN5

Thank you for a superb read.

As I came towards the end I started to think there is going to be a post script to this from Mrs GN5.

GN5 fell asleep and snored all the way home but he adamantly denies it.

Great words, pics and vid GN5, thank you.

It’s amazing what football can do. One game like that brings families and strangers together. Really wonderful.

I know many have mentioned it, both today and previously, but we really cannot underestimate the importance and success of Arsene’s substitutions on the day.

I have often been critical of his lack, or timing, of subs but against Hull he was bang on the money.

As I’ve said before, I believe the Santi substitution showed serious balls and a determination to win the game on the pitch, rather than chance penalties (Santi being a cert. for pens).

GN5,

What an absolutely superb piece of writing, capturing all the anticipation and exuberance of a real family of Gooners watching their team from thousands of miles away!

Fantastic!

We could do with a library of such Posts recording personal experiences of fame with Arsenal ingrained in them, so that in 100 years our successors will no the joy, the love and the commitment of Gooners of this era.

Incidentally, and I have no way of explaining this, but seeing your photo for the first time came as no surprise as you broadly look exactly the way I had pictured you in my minds eye. :-)

fame = fans.

Vinay,

It’s a week tomorrow, unless you are a day ahead of the rest of us! :-)

Morning all quiet a usual, I seem to scare bloggers away.

Arsene Wenger, is a gentleman a wise scholar and above all he ha an encyclopaedic knowledge of football and players worldwide. You are are about injuries, they have held us back from greatness for far too long, even AW cannot conjure up injury free footballers.
    Lack of money has also tied one hand behind his back and even when he has had the money he was unable to bring in players that in his opinion would improve the team. He steadfastly refuses, like some managers do, to bring in pricy players who would not improve our overall quality.

I’ve never once felt that he was the wrong choice or should be moved out. But I’m now very nervous as he has still not signed a new contract, I sincerely hope that he does not come to the conclusion that he will not put himself through the media/”supporter” wringer ant longer. On a personal basis It must tear him apart..

We have a growing portfolio of these intimate portraits of AAers on the various campaign trails.

GN5, Chas, Ant and Duck (who they?) :-) Micky and the Dane, Raddy and the Mischief Maker, Exile and Total Arsenal, and then there are also the photo montages including Exile, Peaches, arnie and Mrs arnie and not forgetting the Happy Blonde Bear, and Ant and Duck, on their many expeditions, (No seriously – who dey?) :-) and I am sure there are others, too, that have slipped my memory.

Yup, a library calls.

12. chas mobile says:

Flipping excellent, GN5.
    I can’t believe you would vaguely contemplate driving after 6 goatskins of red wine!
    Had you met Neamann before?

Ha ha LB

I’m simply assuming the carafes were the full One Litre Options :-)

14. stevepalmer1 says:

According to the Sun Newspaper Fabregas could be returning 35 mil. Could we fit him in or what, Boy i would take him in a heartbeat. 27 years old and he could go another 5 6 years.

As usual Friday work getting in the way. Must try and wrap things up quickly.

16. GN5,

RA is nowt but a botty kisser!
    I’ve always pictured you in my own minds eye as a grumpy old g*t, a bit like Albert Steptoe with a migraine.

Excellent post!

btw – the big sign “the Mad Hatter” and you standing right there under it… deliberate?

Chas,

No we met for the first time, he’s a great individual. He’s retired and he and Mrs.neamman travel extensively around Asia.

For those who haven’t figured it out neamman is sitting to my left in the yellow Arsenal away shirt and JnrGN5 is standing to my right shooting the video.

I hope neamman can find the time to write us a post of his Asian experiences and what kind of Arsenal support he comes across on his travels.

GN5

Never mind about the lack of comments as everything you write is an education as to how to be a lifelong gooner regardless of highs and lows.

This is again a fantastic post,pictures and video and for a man who isn’t a spring chicken :) it is so admirable that you made the effort to met neaman as well. I salute you,sir.

Kelsey,

What do you mean “No spring Chicken” I’ll have you know that I spring up every time MrsGN5 gives me a kick!

Lovely report GN5, thank you so much. I hope the players realise how much joy they spread on such occasions – it is cleat that Arsene knows only too well.

21. arnie says:

Absolutely brilliant stuff, GN5. :) :) :)

What a day, what brilliant memories!!! lovely story, lovely photos, absolutely brilliant video. What brilliant celebrations!!!!

Especially special to put faces to pseudonyms: GN5, neamman and junior.

22. Vinay says:

Opps, it is still friday, i am still hung over on last saturday.

23. arnie says:

Especially loved the snoring story and the LB sequel! :) :)

24. arnie says:

A superb heritage is set to be lost, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27541883 :sad: I know the place well, and see no chance of preserving many of Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s works. :sad:

25. 26may1989 says:

Brilliant stuff, GN5 – just goes to show how the passion of the expat fan can be every bit as strong as those that never work out how to get away from the Smoke. And it’s great to put a face to a name.

Don’t tell I said so, but neamman looks older than I’d exepcted – I thought he’d be a stroppy youth….. :)

26M,

My passion has not dimmed one iota from my first knowledge of Arsenal over 70 years ago, even as a 4/5 year old I listened intently as my Dad and his multiple brothers would discuss the last game.

Never having been inside the ground and only seeing the odd picture in a newspaper I conjured up vivid ideas of what it was like being in the ground behind the gate on Avenell Road, the roars would attract us kids like magnets. I cut out all of the pictures of Arsenal players I could find and pinned them on my wall.

I still have newspapers from the 70’s albeit kinda yellowed, but I still bring them out whenever I’m researching a post and want to find a unique picture to share.

27. LBG says:

Micky 11.59
    Not wishing to dampen any of unadulterated joy of last weekend, I kept the only part of our (my son and myself)Wembley trip to upset/disaappoint me, to myself, but your comments trigger a release valve, Micky.
    We had a loud and aggressive ‘family’ of men,8-10 in number, perhaps three rows in total,directly behind my son and I during the game. You will probably guess their loudness involved continual moans/negative comments, which reached a head at the Sanago substitution. Being an old fart, I regularly raise up and challenge such morons, my son is usually more laid back, less prepared to bother with confrontation, but even he baulked at booing from the twat directly behind him as YaYa came on. “How will that help a young player coming on in a big game?” I’m not booing Sanogo, I’m booing Wenger”, says the twat.”I could have been playing golf today!!”. I wont be specific as our joint reply as this is before the watershed, but we also suddenly realised we were somewhat outnumbered. I was forced to eyeball the biggest gorilla, and was pleased that that his silver back was less broad than mine.
    Best part of the story, most of them left at half-time of extra time. Probably went off to the first tee!!!!
    Sorry to those reading this who didnt get a ticket.
    A weight has been lifted.

Lovely stuff GN5

Dont listen to those others, your a fine figure of a man.

Though you do like the kind of bloke that wont return kicked footballs kicked from your garden. Bet you’ve seen many punctured balls in your time GN5?

Loved your celebration, but my favourite bit of your post is the steadfastly support for the great Arsene Wenger

P.s. Neamman is a great guy, but he bears a startling resemblance to a Tax Inspector.

Hope you didn’t tell him about that hoard of cash held in the Guatemalan Bank.

Oh yeah, whos that miserable git sitting there arms crossed in the video?

I didn’t know Sniffer lived in Canada?

LBG,

“Supporters” of there ilk are a waste of space, a ticket and your breath.

I find them totally detestable however I’m glad you shared that story as it also lets me vent some steam.

Terry,

You are a gem and always bring a smile to my face.

Thanks GN5

LBG, good on you mate. Many times I have felt like having a pop at the critics, but been a prize winning coward seems to hold me back.

Great stuff Gn5. I love an Arsenal road trip.

Those Canadian Gunners are as fervent as any anywhere. How marvellous that we can travel all over the world and find family

34. arnie says:

LBG: It was quite different in the Ems, I think. It was only a live telecast, and no reason for the status-symbol season-ticket holders to come along. In their place, there were 25,000 people (can you believe it!) including many many children and many women. The atmosphere is relatively nice.

Having said that, there was a bloke in front of us who was complaining about Sanogo not diving at the first opportunity. He got quite a mouthful from GiE and myself. After that, GiE took his mouth to the guy’s ear (I can only imagine what he might have said :razz: ) The bloke was relatively well behaved afterwards. :) :) :)

Brings me to the point of the likes of Pierced & M(utilated) organ complaining about season ticket prices. If they do not like it, why dont they take a break. There are other more worthy supporters who would be happy to get the privilege to attend games and support the club the dignified way.

Good comment arnie.

It is no secret that there are a number of penalty divers in the Prem League who go down like they have been shot, even if an opponent just breathes on them, especially if, like my man Terry, they eat garlic sandwiches. That is what happens with his dates – and they say it is worse than being shot actually. :-)

The way we play, Sanogo, like other Arsenal players,does tend to try and stay on his feet to get into a shooting position, and I recall the incident when that happened in the Final.

At the time, I remember thinking if that had been Suarez, for example, he would have gone down instantly, and ‘earned’ a penalty.

Michael Owen and others of his kind would have excused it by saying that if a player feels the slightest touch it is his right to go down.

It is still cheating and Owen was a cheat in his day too.

Wow Gn5 – what a superb read.

Funny, touching and above all enjoyable.

I wish I’d been out there with you and Neamann.

You’re right about the amazing achievement of AW winning 5 of his 6 Cup Finals. And the one he lost was a case of daylight Scouse robbery!

37. arnie says:

Really really impressed by the way GN5 and neamman made the effort to meet up and watch the game together.

Where did you watch the game, media mogul Rocks?

LBG

Sadly, I am not surprised, however, I am absolutely delighted they left before witnessing the climax. That’ll be a proud moment they can tell their Grandchildren :-)

I am not going to put a downer on today, but there’s a good reason this season saw my lowest ever home game attendance figures :-(

Anyway, all is well with me, as I am now a European Away Boy :-)

Arnie

The fire in Glasgow is a disaster.

I normally power on past the City heading for the Highlands, but on my first (of three) visits to the City, my first port of call were the Rennie Mackintosh buildings. The School of Art was one, and had the most stunning library. A real architectural treasure has been lost.

Arnie

Rocky threw the most lavish and amazing Cup Final Party. Chucked thousands at it. Apparently, one of the finest events ever held in Toronto.

He didn’t invite either GN5 or Neamann. :-)

41. arnie says:

Redders. Agreed. Owen was always a cheat. But what does this say of a society that think cheats make good pundits? :sad: sad, very sad.

On the personal front, so far so good. No speeding tickets in the post. Instead, a gift from Micky is in the post, I am reliably told. :) Lucky me. Well done me, given my record, 1000 miles drive without a speeding ticket is good going! :razz:

42. arnie says:

Yes, Micky, sad about the Glasgow School of Art. very very sad. :sad:

My Cup Final party was a rather smaller affair than Gn5’s at the Mad Hatter, but it was at least as drunken and raucous…

44. 1967ers says:

Good grief – that’s right on Eglinton. I pass that pub all the time. Never knew it was a football pub.

Yeah, right Rocky.

I subscribe to HELLO (Toronto Edition), and your “do” was front page stuff.

First question: who was the Amazonian Lady with you?
    Next question: has she been a “lady” all her life?

Ok, I guess we all want Athletico to win tomorrow, and what time is KO?
    Just planning my weekend.

1967ers.

I knew that both Rocky and nemman lived locally but so I only mentioned their names when I said it would be good to meet up with them at The Mad Hatter if I had known I would have included your name. Never mind we can all meet up for next seasons CL Final.

It’s been an Arsenal supporter hang out for games for over twenty years. Although they are generally a young group of supporters they are very knowledgeable and respectful – just like good Arsenal supporter’s should be.

I read about Rocky’s FAC Final party over here in the CPH Post.

Apparently it was a splendid affair – non-stop champagne, pies flown in from Piebury corner, dancing girls, a funfair for the children, and leaving gift of a Bugatti for everyone who was invited

7:45 pm Micky- just like all CL games.

Raddy
    Hello had exclusive pics of the after party “lock in”. Now THAT was something else. Put even you, with your rather liberal take on morals, to shame.

Micky I didn’t want to sound petty but I was chagrined at being snubbed by Rocky – I’ll know better next time around.

Thanks GN5. Had a nasty feeling some weird TV rights thingy might have meant 5pm or some such like.

Chagrined you have every right to be in my book.

Well, time to powder my nose, and take the family out. Wedding Anniversary I forgot, and Anniversary of when we adopted our children, which I didn’t forget. They choose. Chinese. Oh God. Monosodium Slime :-(

“Ok, I’ll have the prawns in ginger, chili and slime to start with. Then I’ll have the squid with black beans, panda vegetables, lime and slime sauce. Thank you”.

Cosmic.

Yea, I think I’ll stop talking to him – so there!

Gn5. I would be furious and sending poo-parcels through the post :-(

Micky. Can you send the Hello mag – just to confirm

Giggle giggle :-)

BR,

My daughter lives’ in Toronto and the local TV stations was out filming a rowdy party involving football fans – apparently it overflowed onto the streets and the police were called.

A coincidence, I think not. Maybe I should be relieved that I wasn’t invited.

I think it’s a bit over the top to suggest that our cucumber sandwiches and polite round of applause at the lifting of the cup were “rowdy”.

The Amazonian lady was Conchita, our cleaner, who also doubles as a cross-dresssing male/female LBGTS Eurovision singer on Thursday nights. This was a Saturday, so she was sweeping up breadcrumbs and small pieces of cucumber.

61. Wonderful GN5 !…………..However !….I`m a stickler that people supporting Arsenal should wear their colours !…..so sorry, I would have banned you from entering the pub !. You can say though, that when the video ended you stripped down to your Arsenal budgie smugglers and jumped on Neamans shoulders and rubbed his ears with your Arsenal space hoppers !…….and I will believe you !. hahaha

62. I`m listening to talkSPORT and Durham is going to sing an Arsenal song and they are doing a vote to whether they carry on the Daily Arsenal !.

63. arnie says:

Allegedly ….

64. He`s singing Arsenal Hot Stuff ! hahaha

65. And the Daily Arsenal stays !………yessssssssssssss !……70% of vote !

66. arnie says:

seatbelts on, lest you fall off your perch laughing. Arsenal Gent here:

Cockie,

Sorry my only excuse is that an old man’s vanity got in the way of wearing the appropriate attire. My Arsenal shirts are mostly memorabilia now and are several sizes to small.

I know that’s no excuse and I will take whatever punishment you want to dish out.

68. arnie says:

Allegedly, Park released as well. Park? Who? :razz:

69. arnie says:

Cockie. Please put one in the post for GN5. And while you are on this, put one in the post for me as well, please! :razz:

arnie,

There is no confirmation of those two being released on Arsenal.com.

I don’t wish any bad luck on Bendtner as he is more than capable of messing up without anybody else being involved.

71. 1967ers says:

GN5 – no concerns. :)

Was just shocked to see a place I immediately recognized. Looks like it was a great atmosphere. Far better than where I was (had the kids at the barber and was frantically checking the phone).

Bugger!

Rocky, the putative Media Mogul never invited me either and I am his alter ego! Allegedly. At least arnie and Raddish cannot tell us apart.

And I soooo wanted another Bugatti/

Redders
    I thought that was you, disguised as Conchita?

74. arnie says:

what remains for Redders is to prove beyond reasonable doubt he was celebrating FAC Final victory in Manchester, England. :)

75. Happy Bear says:

GN5 – and who drove home??

Beautiful post, you do love the AFC, don’t you :)
    It was naught y of the Boss not to tell us discretely that the 2 Hull goals were deliberate, to make the game more exciting. Otherwise, let’s face it – it was a bit predictable – there was only one team that was going to lift the trophy!

76. GOONERKAM says:

GN5
    fantastic writeup. I loved the part about denial of snoring. It is good you could share the day with Jr. I hope next year to read your memoirs from the next final , whether it be FA, LEAGUE OR ECL. here hear. & thanks for sharing.
    UP WITH THE GUNNERS OF ARSENAL !!!!!

77. GOONERKAM says:

Hahaha.
    NO SPRING CHICKEN.
    I bet he springs at the sight of any good bird.
    Out of sight of the missuse of course.

Those days are way past Gooerkam, nothing springs up these days

JnrGN5 drove home Happy Bear he only had one pint during the game knowing he had to drive as GN5 might not be capable.

By the way JnrGn5 is approaching 40 years old.

80. Happy Bear says:

only 40? a baby :) Just one more question GN5 – why that particular pub? Seems like a long journey to watch a game on TV. Was there nothing more local?

RA I forgot to mention how much I appreciated comments earlier, you are way to kind.

What’s it like being back in England – by the way was Manchester a choice or did work opportunities take you there?

Happy Bear,

That was my local when I lived in Mississauga, I am well known there and a lot of my friends still frequent the pub. I helped the owners set up the football back in 1992 and helped to attract a lot of football fans – so it is like a back home experience and there is nothing to match it here in London, whete I now live.

83. arnie says:

Redders: I second the idea of a photo/ video library! Might be an idea to set this up over the lean summer months. Provided of course that the powers that be ( :razz: ) and AA regulars/ patrons agree. I am not travelling that much this summer and can help. :)

84. GOONERKAM says:

GN5 @944 :-(
    You can still enjoy the sight of all those beautiful roses . I’m sure. ;-)
    so sorry about the loss of Glasgow school of art being lost. Libraries such as that one are national treasures. Hopefully the knowledge was backed up and can be transferred to future generations. we lost our main downtown library here in LA a few years back. Many people were in mourning. Many documents were lost forever as there was no duplicates.

85. GOONERKAM says:

GN5
    you should be very proud to have changed the Mad Hatter onto a gooner bar back in ’92. well done.
    Now get them to advertise. hahaha.

86. GOONERKAM says:

Heck. Forget about letting you in early, all your drinks and food should have been on the house. I would have done just that if I was the owner.

Goonerkam,

Believe me the owners have been more than generous to me and my son over the years. All of the old crowd still hold me in high esteem – frankly they are like an extension of my own family.
    My email box during the season overflows with their messages.
    I have no complaints at all.

88. GOONERKAM says:

Ahhh, well done to them then. Good friends should be treasured. Have a great weekend everyone. I hope real mad comes up short tomorrow but Athetico have a couple missing due to injury. Hope its a good game since I can’t help but pull for the air force team. Clearly the underdogs.
    I always said Madrid bought the wrong Welshman. Not that I’m complaining. Not at all. :-)

Morning all, lovely GN5, the vids of Gooners all over the world celebrating are something I’ve really enjoyed during the post cup celebrations, fans like yourself who have emigrated from N5 and then spread the word of Arsenal. But I can’t help thinking the support we see across the globe is due to the success of Arsene and the brand of football. So easy to fall in love with the football and the characters we have been blessed to see during his reign.

I’m still splitting my time between hospital, family, work and garden, Dad is still in, they are a bit concerned that his kidney is not back to full working order yet, and yesterday his blood sugar went scarily high, they have prescribed insulin which is the first time he has had to take it since being diagnosed type 2 diabetic. He is a proper trooper though and doesn’t complain, hopefully we start seeing some better news soon.

See you all soon.

Btw I have to applaud your fortitude, two/three carafes of red wine, I would have been asleep under the table by full time.

Exile

Good luck to your Dad.

Now, fess up, Spikey done a bad hasn’t he :-)

92. arnie says:

motning GiE. take care, and take good care of your dad, wish him a speedy return to normal life. As speedy as Theo’s runs down the flank, as precise as Rambo’s finishes, and as classy as Arsenal’s team goals. :) :)

GIE. 7.20. I find that hard to believe.

Best wishes to your father.

94. Happy Bear says:

hugs for your Dad, GiE

CL final tonight, interesting. Two Spanish teams, but 2 very different styles of play . I am looking forward to see it

It is a wonderful thing being part of family of many million and this win will bring more into the clan

96. Happy Bear says:

GN5 – nobody CHOOSES to live in Manchester, not even RA

HB. Can you imagine the ignominy of having to say ” I live in Manchester”?

Oh, the shame …

98. arnie says:

another great day for Spanish football. hats off …..

99. arnie says:

To be fair, Redders did not fess up to living in Manchester for a long time. Finally gave it away in the excitement of the FAC Final win! :razz:

100. arnie says:

On second thoughts, being fair to Redders is surely not fair enough! :razz:

101. Happy Bear says:

BR – the only worse place that I can think of is N17

102. arnie says:

Evonne: is your new house not in N17? :razz:

103. Happy Bear says:

arnie – I agree, the Spanish love or hate them are a great sporting nation, and there is no surprise that they excel in footy too. I suppose the weather helps, but they are highly competitive and that is key to any success in sport.

Raddy – I am not sure if you know, but there are serious discussions how to make sports less competitive in schools, so more children will take part!!!

Raddy
    Do you really think so? I’m all for a cull of our fanbase :-)

Ha Ha, indeed Arnie.

Evonne has just bought a house in Tottenham. The riots will be back on her doorstop shortly :-)

106. arnie says:

this idea that kids are to be kept away from real life and encouraged to grow up into selfish members of the “me generation”. I am not a big fan of this. this is one of the ways we have managed to destroy the welfare state.

How about making sports more competitive and encouraging kids to be competitive so that more of them take up sports and are competitive on the field of play?

Enough of a rant for the motning, though. :) :)

107. Happy Bear says:

yeah Micky, I was thinking that but didn’t dare to say :) an exclusive membership is much posher. Any new member should take an IQ test, to make sure we haven’t got morons saying ‘Wenger out’. Financial assessment could follow, so nobody complains about ticket prices and there are no emty seats….anything else?

some knowledge of football could be useful too, no? Less important than handsome appearance of course

108. arnie says:

Micky. “I’m all for a cull of our fanbase”. Yes. Me too. :) :) Purge the blood thirsty and status-symbol chasing whingers! :) :) :)

109. Happy Bear says:

no arnie, house is in the sticks, BUT you can laugh all you want – prices in N17 are going through the roof. Many people invest in property in N15 and N17 now as you get huge return on your rentals

Arnie,

While I agree with you to a large extent, some of the talk about yoof football is correct.

At Barca youth academy, they are not allowed to discuss the score of a practice match, as they see the winning/losing mentality as counter productive, as it discourages risk taking and the development of skill.

One of the biggest problems in English Yoof Football, are the parents and there must-win attitude.

Of course I agree children should not be protected from competition in life, but then England is a Statist Society.

A cull :-D :-D :-D Just the moaning socialites who waste a seat at the Emirates.

Mrs. Raddy stopped working with Camp America when the leaders were told to stop the children running about in the play areas because they were not insured if they fell.

113. Happy Bear says:

Raddy – it is worse in UK – no drinking or smoking under 18!! Can you imagine the boring next generation? No wonder there are so many depressed youngsters

Camp America. What’s that, like a Guantanamo Bay detention centre or something? :-)

115. arnie says:

yes, Micky, I know where you are coming from. and I have to say I used to find some resonance with these views.

however, I am alarmed that literally 100% of the kids coming through university have at their heart the objectives of avoiding competition at all costs and exploiting the welfare state without contributing anything to society. completely oblivious to the fact that it took a generation a lot of sacrifices to build this up, and many generations before many more hardships and sacrifices to build society up to the level that they take for granted.

but, of course, you know my position. so enuff said. you have the tough job of nurturing growing up children, we have the tough job of instilling some values into kids who come to university completely devoid of moral/ ethical/ civic sensitivities. such is life …. :)

The youngsters I see are bright, socially responsible and like a beer. Thankfully I live in a wonderful country where individual thought is promoted rather than suppressed (though we have our share of boneheads)

Agree Raddy. Way too many wasted seats at The Emirates. Still cannot get over LBG’s story of Arsenal “fans” leaving the final early.

You’d think their sort would have been happy that at that point Hull were winning as it would have supported their agenda :-)

Arnie

My choice, and it may happen, would be to take my children out of wretched schooling for a year at the age of 16 to get a proper education.

119. VCC says:

GiE…..all the best to your Dad. Hoping he makes a full recovery very soon.

120. Happy Bear says:

exactly Raddy! booooooooooooring. I have Danes in my Irish part of the family, and they are terribly sensible and level headed dudes

Micky. By 16 your kids are going to be so bolshie they will not listen to you and take their own decisions …. much like their father!

122. arnie says:

Raddy. My belief is that the problem is worse in the continent. OK, I dont know that much about Denmark. But here is a question.

What proportion of kids in uni change their subject in the second year? and how many of those change again in the third year? who bears the cost of such changes? are all of these kids not children of elites who are hell bent on exploiting the welfare state? How can the state go on supporting the whims and fancies of a generation of spoilt brats? who cares that in the process the universities are falling further and further behind the world frontier in knowledge creation and acquisition?

I am a bit angry with the situation, as you can see?

Best wishes to Exile Senior for a swift return to good health.

I’m off camping for the weekend. Should be lovely and wet and chilly. Still the CL Final will be on in the clubhouse. :)

Morning Peeps, :-)

Arnie, I must protest at something you said;

— “Micky. “I’m all for a cull of our fanbase”. Yes. Me too”

Well I will not agree to you being culled. Where would we be without your cheerful, positive disposition.
    How could you want to cull yourself? :-)

125. GOONERKAM says:

MICKY
    ROTFLMAO camp America —- guatanamo bay.
    EXILE
    prayers, best wish’s for a healthy recovery for your father.
    GOOD MORNING ALL
    ARNIE
    there is good kids and bad kids. They watch, learn and adapt.
    its the ones with their jeans half way down their bum I can’t stand. Where is my BB gun when I need it.
    Part of me really wants to see DERBY get promotion this term. Always had a soft spot for them and who wants to see harry and his dog every week. It must be at least 13 years since they went down.

126. Happy Bear says:

the best game today could be Qpr vs Derby. Nobody seems to think that Arry’s QPR have a chance, I may put a tenner on them

Yep, Derby for me, too.
    They play nice football, have a better pitch, I have more chance of a ticket and only live 30 mins away. :)

128. arnie says:

motning, Redders. and no, we are not going to ask about Manchester. and the cull applies to all of the fanbase except AA ers, of course. :razz:

Micky: a gap year is always a good idea, and British universities encourage it. we like to have grown ups in uni, not kids. :)

129. Happy Bear says:

GK – I hate young men wearing skin tight jeggings and make up. And I feel sorry for the parents of Conchita. My son is a monster, but I still prefer him to Miss Wurst.

130. arnie says:

and Derby also have a manager who has returned from the dead, exiled somewhere in the middle of the continent. and I am not going to say anything about the other manager, that one!!! Go on Derby!!! :)

131. GOONERKAM says:

CHAS
    camping? You lucky son of a GUN. so jealous. Take some pictures will you please.

Arnie
    Gap year is after school A Levels.
    I want to get mine out for a yr two years sooner before they get too contaminated.

Raddy,
    The plan is they may still be speaking to me at 16, and by 18 I hope they’re bored of me :-)

133. Happy Bear says:

camping always reminds me of the Brokeback mountain movie. Enjoy your weekend Chas

no Arnie, Mclaren is nto really a likable guy, hence QPR for me

134. GOONERKAM says:

Morning HAPPY HAPPY BEAR.
    absolutely. But then again the generation before us probably felt about our generation the same way. I don’t know. In a way if feel for them growing up with this music , these movies and the culture they absorb through the media and specialy the news. Scary and hopeless situation they find themselves in. A least the ones that have the opportunitys they should grab them by both hands. There are some that aren’t this lucky.

I heard about a local BBC reporter [Colin ?] who was diagnosed with a skin melanoma 10 years ago, and thought he was cured.

Last Autumn it returned and after 14 weeks of treatment he was told it had spread to other parts of his body, including his brain, and it was terminal, and he has not long to live.

Recently his father died of cancer, but he did not tell him of his own condition. Can you imagine his poor mum?

He supports Derby and as he is 31 y.o. the Derby fans intend to applaud him on the 31st minute of the game, for one minute, as he is a very popular radio commentator of their games.

I had a dodgy looking mark removed from my leg recently and thankfully it was not cancerous, but it does bring you up short while waiting for the results.

I hope all the crowd join in for Colin, and I will watch with interest.

136. GOONERKAM says:

Is it raining there?? Forecasters said 60% chance.

137. Happy Bear says:

I feel for the youngsters too, jokes aside. I stated here before that I would not want to be young now. On top of everything else some employers are planning on introducing genetic health screening of applicants. Some with genetic disorders will never get jobs! Or insurance, or loans… Maybe that is why they refuse to be sensible and responsible? Feck it all , let’s have fun while we can?

138. Happy Bear says:

raining where? in London? Yep, it always rains in London

Arnie,

There is nothing wrong with Manchester that leaving it does not fix! :-)

In fact, I am visiting friends for a short time and paying for my keep by doing some tax work for their family business.

My friends have no interest in football, but there are some lovely people in this part of the world. And their accents have me in fits of laughter, while they are too polite to comment about mine. :-)

140. GOONERKAM says:

The rain will effect the game in interesting ways.. I always liked playing in all conditions. As opposed to some others that preferred dry and sunny days only. the mud , the sliding , complete chaos when trying to pass. Adjusting and readjusting constantly. (0(
    Makes for great fun.
    I think the best thing to do is sending them on a long trip , preferably some third world countries. By the time the kids come back they will be changed human beings with a completely different and new perspective.

141. GOONERKAM says:

HAPPY BEAR
    right. Steve m. Is the one with the red manc lineage. Maybe he will get fired as soon as he gets them promoted. What with his luck, it is not impossible. Hahaha.
    Am I wrong or is jt not DERBY that are the underdogs.??

Lovely weather :( Just sorting the post …………

Morning all

I could rant all day about the Uni system in England and to an extent Wales as they have different criteria.

When my daughter was at Cardiff Uni she did a 4 year Business Studies with a foreing language and her third year was spent at Uni in Madrid.
    The allowance was 1920.00 for the nine months and I had to supplement that to the tune of 10K How do people afford it.?

As for tonight it is a fantastic achievement by Simone and Atletico but I believe Real will win quite comfortably in 90 minutes.

144. Happy Bear says:

Kelsey – “How do people afford it.?” – well, you tell us :)

If Real win it won’t be comfortable, no way Jose

145. We have a New Post …………….