Arsenal to Lose Europe’s Hottest Striker

Have a look at the table below:-(well, if I knew how to make a table there would be one!!)

Player                                  Goals             Minutes per Goal

Lionel Messi                           28                    96

Christiano Ronaldo                 28                    84

Luis Suarez                            31                    92

Sergio Aguero                        17                    81

Nicklas Bendtner                     2                     78

Conclusive proof that our Nik is one of Europe’s finest and most deadly strikers :-D

010

OK, that was a little joke but there is a sadness at the waste of talent as young Bendtner runs down his contract. So much talent, so little application.

When NB was coming through the Arsenal ranks there was so much hope for him; he was being taught by the best in the business in Henry, Bergkamp and later Van Persie. His first PL goal for Arsenal was a wonderful header which won the game against Spurs. He was lauded here in Denmark as the new Michael Laudrup. Denmark’s Best Sportsman at just 19, Danish Footballer of the Year at 21 – the best Danish football talent for over a decade but then it all slipped away.

Why?

Partly because of the above – he was being hailed as a major talent before he had achieved anything on the pitch and it went to his head. If you were earning 50+k a week as a teenager who wasn’t even a first team regular who knows how it would affect you?

Unknown

Too Much, Too Young

His Arsenal career is ending having fizzled but never catching fire.

This season has been a massive disappointment. Pre-Season was fine, he was recovering from long-term injury and being kicked out of Juventus without even a leaving pressie. He was fit and ready. We hadn’t signed a back-up striker to OG, probably in the belief that Bendtner could finally come good – instead he royally blew his chances to the point where he hasn’t been back to Arsenal in a couple of months.

What was he doing? What demons are in his head to make him self-destruct in such a stupid and public manner? Is it booze – he certainly likes a beer? Is it fame? Surely if you grow up in the spotlight you get used to it and NB was Danish U-17 player of the year and already signed for AFC at just 16 – it is not as though he is shy in front of the camera!

Nik’s life has bee conducted under the glare of constant media scrutiny and it seems that he lives up to their very low expectations. Here he is known as the Klovn (clown) and with good cause.

But what a shame. He has so much talent – great in the air, deft touch for a big man, good first time control and a modicum of pitch intelligence. He should have been Plan B, instead he is taking a quiet walk to the exit door.

Could Arsenal have handled him better? Could someone within the club have taken him aside and told him how he was destroying his career? No-one did or perhaps he is incapable of listening.

With 24 goals from 56 International and 24 from 106 AFC appearances (mostly as sub) there will be no shortage of clubs vying for his free transfer though no-one will give him half of his current wage. Leicester or Swansea (should Bony or Michu leave) are possibles.

But Nik’s departure leaves a dissatisfaction – he should have been an Arsenal man – he has been with us for 10 years – and yet he is just a fool and when he clears out the Number 52 locker  it will be with the Tears of a Clown.

written by Big Raddy

153 Responses to Arsenal to Lose Europe’s Hottest Striker

1. GOONERKAM says:

the problem is he likes too much orgy’s. At an age when he needed to pay his dues , show patiance and train vs hard as you can ,he had the taste of the fast life and he was hooked. Once you have had it , you want to prth hardy LL the time. He would have fit perfectly with
    TONY & PAUL before AW came along.
    A shame, I had so much hope for him and ARSENAL showed great patiance with him. Nothing else they could have done. This year was his last chance and again he pissed ot away. I hope OG does not follow in his foot steps and of VELA is coming back I hope he has got the partying out of his system too.

Thanks Raddy, I know you personally feel let down by your fellow countryman … his demise from Striking Viking to Inane Dane has all been self imposed and I don’t think anyone else can be blamed apart from the meathead himself – what a waste of talent.

My hope is that the embryonic striker we have in Yaya Sanogo values his talent and the incredible opportunity that Arsenal have given him and goes on to show NB what he could have achieved with the proper application.

Talking of strikers, it has been apparent that OG is a bit of a tart (in the nicest possible way :lol: ) – did anyone else feel that he hogged the FA cup a bit too much on Saturday? My favourite moments where when Arsene and Sagna held the trophy, you can tell a lot from a man’s face.

4. GOONERKAM says:

SAGNA better pay attention to what is going at shitty. If he goes up there he WILL be working for racists and the type that won’t shake your hand or touch you if your not the right color. I hope THE ARSENAL can up their price a bit and keep him from making a huge mistake. We need him one more year and CARL will be ready and roaring.

5. GOONERKAM says:

KOSHER did not raise the cup on his own. He tapped the SACKER and they both raised it together. I thought that was awesome.
    Also when AW kissed SAGNA was touching. AW adores him as a player
    FAbiANSKI was screaming like a mad man. (0(

6. GOONERKAM says:

Nice writeup NIG RADDY
    sorry NIKYB disappointed you. I wonder where he will end up. Self destructed our shaggy samurai.. we can only wish him good luck .

7. GOONERKAM says:

Oooops. Sorry BIG RADDY.
    Too many spelling errors. Its the damned auto correct.

8. arnie says:

Nice stuff, Raddy. :) Well, what a waste! If there is one lesson to learn (and listen those who are looking for child talents in the transfer market) it is that astronomical prices should not be paid for unproven young men. The money and media coverage may make their heads go round! :razz:

A wasted talent who at the age of 26 should have been in his prime.
    Amazing he was signed as a 16 year old and definitely showed exceptional promise.

His ego got the better of him.

I have one memory of him that stands out.Coming on as a sub against Spurs,and within a minute scoring the winner.

He is a modern day George Best in character but never in ability.

Raddy,

He suffered from delusions of grandeur, on the field his ego was bigger than his ability and off the field he thought his do-hickey was big enough to embrace a taxi – strange lad.

A lot less ego and a lot more application and he could have been great. He belongs to the David Bentley school of prize twats, who could have and should have been top class players instead of wasting their talents.

Like Bentley he will disappear into the ether land of could’ve should’ve – if only………?

11. Peter says:

Newest memes football See it !!!!

Cheers Raddy

I like Nic, he reminds me a little of myself, bit of a tosser.

Nics dilemma is that he is a terrible narcissist with a predisposition for glorious self reflection

When he plays a good pass or beats a defender, he looses himself in the glorious moment, stands still and stares in wonderment at his exquisiteness.

I to suffer from this trait, probably developed during childhood. The only sport I was ever good at was Cricket. I played for my local Borough, opening the bowling. On one occasion I clean bowled the batsman removing two stumps in the process.

I just stood there in a star fish pose wallowing in my greatness. Eventually the other players realised something was wrong but even as the medical crew hoisted me into the ambulance, my arms and legs remained akimbo as I marvelled at my splendour

Nic probably had a similar experience. Dribbling past a couple of fat kids and then hitting a 30 yard screamer, only to follow his achievement by pulling down his shorts and chasing the poor sods round the pitch for his expected reward.

Wonder if they were Paddy Power sponsored back then

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good post BR, It’s almost impossible to understand people like Bendtner. An embryo talent squandered, a chance to excel totally wasted. Sadly he is not alone in being a flop. So many young men enter the glitzy world of football and turn into turkeys rather than the superstars they dreamt of being.

It’s seems there is little purpose in having the talent if you don’t have the character to carry you through. Too much attention, too much money too soon leads these young men into a world completely alienated from reality.

As well as Bendtner, there was Jermaine Pennant and, as mentioned by GN5, David Bentley.

Well without doubt NikB is confident, pink boots says it’s all. Call me old fashioned but how you take the pitch reflects how seriously you take the sport. By all means when you’ve become top goalscorer you can wear what you like, but if a young kid took the field wearing fancy boots…..well you have to do a lotto justify your swagger.

It is indeed a shame I always liked him as a player, just a pity his ego overtook.

Thanks for all good wishes to my Dad

Terry,

That cricket story was great.

Mind you bowling flat out against 5 year olds, when you were 17 y.o. does make me think they were just letting you have one wicket before they reached 6 y.o. and cleaned your bowling out! :-)

Very good Post, Giant Randy, and it is indeed a pity that Bendy turned into such a prat.

I always thought he would come good no pun intended once he had sowed his wild oats — but it was not to be.

18. jnyc says:

Raddy, your stats made me laugh. Rasp, on the subject of sanogo, let me go on record to say that I have a feeling we will have something very special in him. Im not sure if a loan is the way to go, but I think he can be great. He looked extremely dangerous vs Hull.

19. arnie says:

jnyc: agreed regarding Sanogo. I like the looks of this fella. At the Ems, GiE and myself heartily sang “Sanogo go go!” many many times.

The difference with Bendy is that Sanogo did not cost astronomical amounts in transfer fees and wages, so he can keep his head down and work diligently on his game. No distractions from the press or trophy hunters, because they think he is “cheap”.

Nice smile as well. “Sanogo go go!” :) :) :)

Hiya, jnyc, :-)

I am right with you. Sanogo is definitely a free spirit and I think he could become a very important player for us.

21. Vinay says:

For me he ceased to exist after that miss in the nou camp, the pass by jack, the occasion, champions league, the whole game we were chasing shadows and then he had that one moment when everything would have been redeemed, what did he do? He takes a touch which reaches valdes, i mean how can he doe that at the 89th minute of the game? Sorry he ceased to exist for me, whatever happens to him i dont care. He also had the audacity to say he never wants to play for us again.

Hi jnyc, I share your enthusiasm as regards Sanogo. Having been extremely unimpressed by what I saw I the Emirates cup, he has grown every game since despite being thrown in at the deep end. I would go as far to say that it could be a mistake to buy a player at Remy’s level as I expect Sanogo to surpass that in a couple of seasons.

23. LBG says:

As per GN5 and Norfolk, Bentley and Pennant are the best modern day equivalents (and he didn’t even have the handicap of being labelled “the new Bergkamp”). Jeffers and much further back, Peter Marinello (“the new George Best”) would be other comparables who simply couldn’t cope!
    Thanks for the post Raddy, and sorry he let you……and himself, down.

24. jnyc says:

RA, Arnie, I would go so far as to say, when Sanogo starts scoring, he will never stop. Remember who Arsene said that about prophetically. And by the way, if gibbs hadnt blown that shot against hull, we would all be talking about yayas great play to get him the ball right in front of goal.
    Only question is, does he do it in limited opportunities with us, or out on loan? If we do our job in the transfer window, he should be available to loan and get real playing time.

25. jnyc says:

Yes, Rasp, I know what you mean when you say Remys level. I feel the same way, I only really want a striker brought in if top quality, or adding another dimension altogether.
    I do want someone brought in to be ahead of giroud, or replace generally. I do love Ollies hard work and passes. He was part of almost every great team goal this year, with assists or pre assists. Including our last one :-)
    But we are Arsenal, and should have a world class striker who teams fear.

26. 26may1989 says:

Cheers, Raddy – I’ve nothing to add re the disappointing farce that is Bendtner’s career, the lad has frittered it away. I wish him the best for the future but for us, it’s all done.

Couple of other things though.

Re Bendtner’s miss at Barca, have to say, I don’t get the “he doesn’t exist” thing – he screwed up, but it wasn’t deliberate, I’m sure he’d have been delighted to have put that one away. Now, when a senior player reacts to a disppointing draw in a game that saw one of his colleagues maimed by sulking at the end of the game with a centre-circle sit-in protest, that’s when a player ceases to command any sort of respect or affection in me.

Interesting to read the positive comments re Sanogo. He already appears to be a Marmite player – when I said to various people in the last few days that I thought his introduction was the turning point of the Final, and that he played well, plenty of them took exactly the oposite line and said he was dreadful. Will he be a great player? I have my doubts, but he certainly has potential. And crucially, he appears to have the right attitude. Watch and learn, Bendtner.

27. Adrian says:

Sorry to say I don’t share the enthusiasm that you guys have towards Sanogo, the FA cup final was an indication of just how far away he is from being a good striker for us atm. I have to disagree that not signing players like Remy in the hope that Sanogo will come good in a few years is a good idea. What matters most is the strength of the present squad, send Sanogo out on loan for the matter but don’t let the prospect of a player coming good hinder our strengthening of the team. I actually think Remy is a decent striker with the pace we have all been shouting for, I just simply cannot see Wenger going in for players like Benzema this transfer window when we still have to buy a new DM, GK and RB.

As for Bendtner, good riddance. Massive disappointment even after all the opportunities the boss gave him.

Interesting that we have turned our attention to the fledgling Sanogo.
    AW must rate him highly as he really has thrown him into the deep end,and it was to an extent when he came on last Saturday as 4-4-2 is IMO a much better option than having a lone striker.
    He combined well, has a strong physique but I am yet to see him strike a ball cleanly.
    Maybe that will come so for me he is another who needs to be loaned out to gain experience as at our level the pressure on him as a striker maybe to much of a burden at this moment of time.

29. Adrian says:

Sanogo coming on in the final helped change the game mostly due to a change in formation, before that Giroud had to deal with 3 CB’s on his own. It was still a positive contribution no doubt, but I’d say that it was mostly due to us playing 4-4-2.

One of my beefs about Wenger is that to really challenge we should be aiming higher than an experiment such as Sanago and also the extrodinary acquisition of the loan signing of the injured Kallstrom,to name just two examples.

I just said that,Adrian :)

32. 26may1989 says:

The change of formation was without doubt very significant, but Sanogo also played well, in that he was involved in both our second and third goals and got a fair few shots in. The one at the end across the goal was very well saved by McGregor (though the referee missed the save and gave a goal kick).

33. 26may1989 says:

I also agree that we should be signing at least one proven forward and not relying on Sanogo’s potential. I hazard a guess that Wenger thinks the same, given his attempts to sign Suarez last summer.

Kallstrom? I thought he did well and was useful. People were gagging for a big January signing, but for whatever reason, that wasn’t possible. Kallstrom was an opportunity to fortify without having to spend a penny on him until he was fit. Not good PR in terms of managing fans’ expectations but in pure footballing terms, a good move. Someone else said this before, but Kallstrom also demonstrated the value of having a big unit in central midfield. Hopefully, the options on that front are being considered.

Hi Adrian, re Sanogo: my point was that we should be looking to sign a better striker than Remy because Giroud and potentially Sanogo are at the same level.

I think everyone is being far too harsh on the lad. I agree that a season out on loan with regular football would be good for his development.

26m, since I still haven’t coughed up the £10 for your ‘top of the league’ bet, how do you fancy a double or nothing on Sanogo scoring 15 goals (or more) for us in all comps next season if he doesn’t go out on loan?

…. that includes pre-season friendlies :)

It was also a huge positive that Alex Bruce got injured and subbed just as Sanogo came on.

I like Sanogo – his attitude reminds me of Ian Wright Wright Wright. If he has half his career at AFC I will be delighted.

Sanogo looks to have strength and pace similar to Anelka and that must be what Mr Wenger sees in him.

Diaby is a big unit in midfield :-)

Now there is a post …. what to do about Diaby?

Yes the change of formation helped, but if it was that easy why not just put Pod up with OG?

Answers on a postcard please.

39. Norfolk Gooner says:

Right now Sanogo is not the answer to our striker needs.

Given time, who knows what he may achieve, but we need a top class, proven goal scorer. Not a Bony or a Remy, more like a Benzema or Dzeko. Arsene has the money to spend, he can offer good wages, regular first team football and Champions League. Time to quit Lidl and Aldi and start shopping at Fortnum and Mason.

40. I know most of you don’t like talkSPORT, but it wont surprise you that I go against the grain !. :lol:
    They give us endless publicity, good or bad….Durhams a closet Gooner (his wife and son are Gooners ! )…..Perry Groves is on at least twice a week on Murray and friends…..Steve Bunce ( gooner ) on Wednesday……The Woodman (gooner ) on the Saturday warm up !…..countless Arsenal guests ! ( Charlie George last Friday and Ian Pouter on Monday ) Media Gooners etc` and The Away Boyz !.
    I think some of you take it too seriously…it`s entertainment !. :D

Remy got 14 goals for Newcastle last season and Bony scored 16 for Swansea. Benzema got 24 for RM and Dzeko got 26 for City …. therein lies the difference between the two levels.

42. Norfolk Gooner says:

Personally, I would like to see James Milner brought in to play on the left, he’s got pace, some, he can both run with the ball and pass it, and is pretty good at helping out in defence, also he’s p****d off at City. At 28 years old he should be at his peak now.

Dont think we need another striker, not an “orthodox” one anyway.

Giroud and Sanogo are both big units, and we need a big striker because everyone else is a shrimp

In my very humble, pious, and obviously correct opinion, what is required is a Suarez type who can operate around the striker, left or right, or even behind. Some one like that Sanchez bloke from Barca could be very interesting.

Specifically on Sanogo, I really like his character When watching the game on record I noticed that his after match celebrations were hilarious.

Hes the kind of guy that whilst a BBC news reporter stands outside the Old Bailey giving details on a heinous crime that has shocked the nation. “Tottenham fan dined on half his neighbourhood. Only caught when shopkeeper got suspicious of one ton purchase of salt and vinegar” he would sneak up behind with big grin and give some strange hand gestures.

He seems a good lad to me.

Super Mario Balotelli got 26 for Milan this season and has regularly been subjected to racist abuse – I’d love him at the Arsenal

I have my doubts Rasp. Hes more likely to be the bloke whos dined on half the neighbourhood,

46. Norfolk Gooner says:

Terry, I’m not advocating Benzema or Dzeko to play alongside Giroud, rather instead of.

I don’t know the ratio of goals scored to chances offered for Giroud, but I suspect his conversion rate is pretty low compared to the top strikers at our rivals.

Hi TMHT, the stories that surround Balotelli are blown out of proportion. A look at his early upbringing explains why he may have certain ‘issues’ although his foster parents have been fantastic.

He has dangerous talent that if harnessed would be great for us.

Hi NG, if you look at my stats widget you will see that Giroud scored 22 for us this season – 16 EPL, 3CL, 3FAC, so on paper he did better than Remy and Bony.

Know what you mean Norfolk, but I reckon Giroud is a better fit for us than them two. though they are both better individual players.

Giroud works for us. Been a bit of a donkey he can frustrate but his all round game suits our effeminate and lightweight midfield.

Thats what I think anyway

50. Happiest places to live ?……look at this Item/link….it also has the top 10 unhappiest places to live and they are all in London or the London area and North London comes in at 7th !. With my logical hat on, I have to think that only half of North London is unhappy and the rest of it is deliriously happy !, also part of North London being unhappy is down to husbands coming home only to find an unknown syrup in their bed !. hahaha

I see Norwich is 6th on the list of happiest places to live !………understandable, you never see an unhappy inbred after he`s popped next door for a threesome with his mum and sister !. hahaha

26th

Are you joking :) One can count how many minutes Kallstrom played. One can’t judge him on one 30 minute display.I stick by my guns that politely, he was a strange acquisiton.

AW has also stated that he will be in the market for 3 players and if others leave apart from those he knows are leaving, more than three.

If Szsney gets injured or losses form we need adequate cover, Sagna looks like he is leaving, Gibbs is a good LB but history shows he is injury prone and will Vermaelen stay ? Monreal IMO is not a LB, so we may be in a position next season where our defence has many changes.
    Jenkinson has huge potential but is he ready to consistenly fill Sagna’s shoes.
    We need an enforcer or a cover for Arteta who is getting older.

Has Podolski really got a future as AW is reluctant to start him.

If we are really after a striker who is a fox in the box would AW keep whoever that is and Giroud and Sanogo ?

So there are many questions,money is available but I do not forsee too many changes. Any thoughts,anyone.

Probably true Rasp. But if i spot him in Tesco’s ordering a barrel of tomato ketchup, ime calling the police.

53. arnie says:

Diaby is our default midfield enforcer. We will be in the market, but just in case nothing worth the while turns up. Yes, he has been unlucky, but it is a zero sum game in the long run. If you try to cut your losses every time there is a deficit, you will forever be the loser. :razz:

Inverness and Falkirk, Cockie !!!!

kelsey. you should re-write your comment and make a post out of it.

Fascinating views on Sanogo.

I find myself agreeing with the idea that his introduction in the final did change the game in our favour but in the same breath he seemed………………well……………….useless.

If powerful running can change a game all I can think is just how much more it would change in our favour if we had someone who had the same attributes and was capable of close control.

Sanogo reminds me of a big puppy running around enthusiastically but has yet to grow into his legs and as such keeps tripping over them.

All he needs is big floppy ears and the cartoon is complete.

I share 26’s view that Wenger was looking for a more established striker hence the bid for Suarez, I just hope he is successful in his continued search this summer.

If he isn’t, well, I suppose we will keep having to kid ourselves for a bit longer that Sanogo reminds us of Anelka.

Hi LB, who would you go for if you had to choose between Dzeko, Benzema and Balotelli?

Its such a shame Falcao is owned by about 3 different people, he scored 52 goals in 68 games for Athletico.

“All he needs is big floppy ears and the cartoon is complete.” :-)

Rasp. The question for me is more about who will play well alongside OG and as such I don’t think we need another CF – we need a potent left winger who can cross and has pace and scores goals …. Overmars in other words.

Hi Rasp

It’s hard for me to say as I really don’t know enough about the players out there.

Although, out of the three you mentioned I would prefer Balotelli.

Dzeko and Benzema are just not that much better than we already have.

Still, like Cavani and Mandzukic, he’s way out of our purse.

to carry on …. especially as we will have Walcott back next season and he will bag at least a dozen.

We, and more to the point Giroud, missed him.

BR

We were very lucky this season with Giroud’s fitness the chances of that happening again are in my opinion slim.

That being the case another number 9 is important wouldn’t you say?

I agree LB. Mario is younger and yet to reach his peak, and you just get the feeling that if anyone can, Arsene can get the best out of him.

I was going to,Raddy

If Ozil and Cazorla could assist but more importantly score as well as Ramsey the problem is solved as long as Giroud remains fit and can lay the ball off.

We seriously need to up our goals for.

Hi Raddy @ 5;12, I think we tried to sign Jovetic for just that role but greedy guts city outbid us and he’s hardly been seen since.

LB. I see your point but why shouldn’t OG stay fit next season – he is not a striker who has been troubled by injury. Exhaustion perhaps made him have a lean spell after Xmas but I expect to see a front line of

Walcott Sanogo XXX

a few times next season as Sanogo gets more opportunities.

If, and it is a huge IF, we could sign one of the players Rasp has mentioned or even better two of them I would be delighted.

69. No tax on Whisky or Beer in Inverness and Falkirk and everyone has a license to roam the moors and date mountain goats !.

Ballotelli !!….no way, he`s nucking futs !…..would you entertain a blogger with his psychological make up ?. . ……….

Condemned by your own words Cockie :lol:

I have crossed fingers that a new striker will arrive.

72. Shard says:

There was a time when I thought Bendtner would be better than Berbatov at his peak. He even talked of becoming better than Ibrahimovic and being recognised as Scandinavia’s best footballer.

But somewhere down the line, he wasted his talent. All the same, this season, it looked like he was finally prepared to get his head down and make up for lost time. He was set to join Crystal Palace, which was a huge comedown for a man who through his agent was talking about joining only Cl clubs. But when we couldn’t get another striker in, we made him stay, and he seemed to be working hard to get back to fitness. The goal he scored to win us the game (was it Cardiff?) was his finest moment of the season, but then he got injured while doing it, and I think since then, he gave up on his Arsenal career, because Sanogo also came back into the team.

The guy who wanted to compete against Zlatan, gave up when faced with competing against Yaya Sanogo.

73. hahaha Rasp…….bang to rights !.

74. Although, after readings Shard`s first paragraph……..I think I`m quite normal !. hahaha

A good post leads to a good discussion.

Raddy’s does just that. Thank you robe wearer :-)

I’ve just read through comments and my favourite word has been used a few times. Balotelli.

He’s a great bloke. Deadly footballer. An entertainer. Unpredictable in a good footballing way. Hasn’t peaked. Will mature. Scores goals.

Whenever I see his name, I’m reminded how Seralex Ferguson was told he was bonkers to sign Eric Cantonna.

76. Shard says:

As the conversation has moved on to our current and future striking options, I think before demanding the ‘marquee’ striker, we need to look at who’s available. This year’s crop is less exciting than last season. Costa is this year’s biggest star who is moving, and I know he’s scored a lot of goals and all, but he doesn’t seem to be a great striker as far as I’m concerned.

Same with Benzema, but I think Benzema might be closer to what we need, unless we are looking to get rid of Giroud and upgrade on him, in which case Costa would have fit the mould (yes I am aware he’s Chelsea bound seemingly)

I think Sanogo has potential, but that we also need another striking option. Since I don’t think any great strikers are available this year, I would be happy with Remy, or maybe even Vela. Save the money there and spend it on the defense and midfield. With Walcott, Ox, and Podolski reasonably expected to get more minutes, and perhaps increased roles for Gnabry and Campbell, I think we should have enough goals in the team, especially if we get to rotate the midfield better too. Apart from with an Henry or RVP level player, I think Arsenal teams work best with a varied goal threat.

Having had a read through the comments it is clear that for each blogger there are as many opinions, and sometimes more!

Take Norfolk, for instance, back refreshed from holiday, I believe, and there he is wanting to give poor little Sanogo the bullet, and this after telling me in the early season (last September?) that he thought he was ‘pacey’ and would be a good addition to our squad – and now he is only good enough for the firing squad. :-)

And then there is the Rasper, listing some very good strikers at some of the top clubs and comparing their goal scoring antics with Giro’s. :D

Perhaps the fact that they play in top teams surrounded by the cream of footballers might have something to do with an increased scoring rate – after all, every striker depends on team mates to give him the opportunities to score – and I bet not too many top strikers have to sod around chasing lost causes, like Giro does.

OK, what about me and my opinion?

Well I agree with both of you to an extent. Sanogo is a player who needs more time and experience, but if we want to go for the Premier League title and the CL, he is not capable, yet, of getting us there.
    We need a ready made, better, more experienced forward now.

Giro and his goals? He has done well for us and has had a decent but not spectacular season. He might score more in a better team than Arsenal, but candidly we will never know, as he will never play for Citeh, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern, so might point to Rasp earlier has some truth in it, but is irrelevant.

We need a better player as our No.1 CF than Giro, although I love his big heart and never say die attitude.

Have I added anything to the debate with the above? No! :D

might = ‘my’. :-)

79. arnie says:

Balotelli is exciting, and I think is an achievable target. On with it!!!! :razz:

Micky: did you get my email? :)

Oi, tricky Micky, I baggsed the Robe this morning, so no messing with my trophy!!

Signed: The Robe

Since all the AA ‘experts’ who really know about football and tactical bollix agree, we must mount a ‘Balotelli In’ campaign :P

Hi Redders – are you assuming that it is easier for a top striker to score in a good team surrounded by top players (isn’t there greater competition?) …. others would say the opposite = that some strikers shine because they are far superior to their team mates…. whaddya think?

Yes Arnie, but sorry, haven’t dealt with the personal emails yet. That normally takes months :-)

However, a programme goes to Dundee tomorrow :-)

84. 26may1989 says:

What to do about Diaby?

Glue?

RA
    It’s all yours. You’d fit in with Raddy’s “community” better than me :-)
    Sordid is what they are. Loose on the morals.

Rasp
    Going to football games is about being entertained. Oh, ok, and winning. We’re spoilt with our great football, but an entertainer like Balotelli would be fabulous.

87. arnie says:

Micky: thank you, most generous Sir. :)

26may: glue, yes, plus nail and hammer. :razz:

Ebay perhaps :-)
    It’s not bad for shifting damaged goods.

Arnie
    Almost anything for a fellow Gunner :-) .

As I said, Rasp, with reference to Giro, that it can never be proved, but a better team with top, top players around them (thank you, Arsene) can improve other players, but even people like me who are not AA ‘experts’ or understand tactical bollix have heard many times from those who are, like sundry managers and professional players that playing with the best always helps other ‘lesser’ players to improve.

But maybe they were talking bollix too. :D

This talk about Dzeko, Ballotelli et al, is almost like boys looking in a candy shop window for available goodies with a price tag that can be met, but the reality is that many of these players are not available, would cost too much anyway, or simply would not want to play in England or for us.

But it is fun – of course – and I enjoy hearing everyone’s opinions, especially when I disagree with them!! :D

Micky,

Lovely!!

Raddy’s degenerate Robe community, I mean, not you – although you might be too, in the right light and wearing a bag on your bonce. :P

92. I second, third and fourth – if necessary – the idea that Balotelli would bring excitement and more goals to this Arsenal team. Is he naughty or just a big kid – letting off fireworks in the house is the kind of thing a naughty boy would do. He’s certainly talented maybe someone needs to send him the video of celebrations on Sunday …….. we certainly know how to show the love ;)

Won’t he cost us too much money though?

RA
    Well, I for one, want my striker rocking up to The Ems in a leopard print lambo, and Mario is very much the man for the job.

read up on balotelli’s early childhood.Adopted by white parents,racially abused as a kid in Italy has left certain pyschological marks on him.
    A talent no doubt about that,but headstrong, so could AW manage him.

Mancini spoke about him when at City that he needs special treatment.

95. arnie says:

Peaches: what ghappened to the Puma deal? :) all hot air? :razz:

You have my rather suspect opinion on costs etc, Peaches, at 6 o’clock. :D

97. Shard says:

Why is Balotelli exciting apart from the fact that he’s a nutter?

He might have the physical attributes to be a top class goalscorer, but he isn’t at that level yet.

In 25 starts and 5 sub appearances, he’s scored 14 goals in the Serie A this season from a 152 shots. Has 6 assists.

Gonzalo Higuain 28 starts (4 subs) 90 shots, 17 goals. 7 assists.

Benzema 34 starts (1 sub) 102 shots, 17 goals. 9 assists.

Costa 34 starts (1 sub) 108 shots, 27 goals. 3 assists.

Suarez 33 starts: 181 shots, 31 goals, 12 assists.

Remy 24 starts (2 subs) 90 shots, 14 goals. 3 assists.

Vela 35 starts (2 sub) 86 shots, 16 goals, 12 assists.

i always seem to go against the grain :)

Shard

to say he is a nutter is a tad unfair if you read about his upbringing.

arnie,

Puma hot air?

Not at all. But you as an esteemed economist will know that the additional sponsorship money has to be carefully spread across a number of player purchases – but could we buy Yaya Toure, Ronaldo or Messi? No! Balotelli? Probably not!

But you already know that, you rascal! :D

101. Shard says:

kelsey

His upbringing might explain his nutterness…. it doesn’t take it away. Besides, there have been other players from Africa who have had some tough childhoods and they haven’t all acted the way he does.

I don’t think Balotelli can curb his hot streak enough to shape his talent to fit a team ethic. Not yet at least. If we’re not willing to take on another project, I don’t understand why Balotelli gets a mention. He’s a high risk, expensive project, who gets recognition because of some wonder goals. He is certainly not efficient though, and in some cases is a liability, even leaving aside his attitude.

He does seem to be a nutter, Kelsey, whatever the reason.

But Micky likes him and his leopard skin car – so that’s good enough for me. :-)

Shard

“because of some wonder goals”

That is different, exciting and not something the football fan sees too often. Sure other players have better stats, but some players get the ball and you can feel the expectation levels rise in the stadium. Wrighty had it, players like Higuain certainly don’t.

Risk? I agree, but at 23/4, wow the potential must be enormous.

I doubt Arsene would ever consider it, but hey.

104. arnie says:

Redders: I feign ignorance. :razz: No, but seriously, I have to say I am a bit confused as to how sponsorship deals are linked to FFP and so on!!!! I suspect there might be some accounting jugglery that some accounting gurus on here ( :razz: ) can put together!

The likes of Toure, Ronaldo, Messi certainly a no-go zone, I agree. :)

105. Shard says:

Higuain is an exciting striker Micky. Much closer to Ian Wright (from the highlights) than Balotelli is I think. The goal he scored against us for Napoli this season, the turn and shoot into the corner, is exactly what we could have done with. Pity.

I get what you mean though. The ready to take a shot from anywhere attitude makes a change from pass it around to search for the opening. While we need a bit of the first, it is the latter which allows that to work. I doubt Balotelli can find that balance. His decision making isn’t the best :)

Like I said, I’d prefer Remy or Vela from among the current options. Not only because they come cheap, but they have the attributes the team seems to need.

106. England U17`s Vs The Dutch in the Final of the European Championships is currently on Eurosport Ch 410…….Englands LB is from Arsenal !.

107. arnie says:

Shard, Micky: GiE was telling me almost precisely the same thing abour Rambo during the FAC final.

I was wondering why Rambo was occasionally shooting from a distance rather that trying to advance. GiE said that it is necessary to sometimes shoot from away in order to create doubts in the defenders’ minds and draw them out.

Sometimes you get a spectacular goal, most often not. But you create more gaps in defence in the process. :)

Shard

That Higuain goal was a fluke :-)

Without being awkward, I don’t see that Wrighty buzz in Higuain, but do in Mario.

Got it

To use a horrible term, it’s the X Factor.
    That’s the bunny :-)

110. LBG says:

Still feel Remy and Bony would represent best value for money.(both represent the pace OG lacks) Save big bucks for holding midfielder Martinez /Bender plus two defenders as we seem likely to lose Bacary and Thomas. I would also take Barry. Isn’t it fun to speculate!

Balotelli has mental issues which i fully understand but as I said originally I don’t think AW would want the baggage that comes with him.

Arnie the Puma deal had caveats which included qualification for the CL.

Cockily Dockily, :-)

I have just been listening to Talksport ‘Daily Arsenal’ and have had a good laugh with two Gooners, called the “Away Boyz” singing Poldi’s song, Sczeney’ song and they were willing to sing ‘Fat Huddleston’s’ song, but they weren’t allowed – to rude!

Oddly enough, I was thinking of you!! :D

113. Shard says:

arnie

Exactly, but it needs to be balanced well. Ramsey’s decision making is usually very good. I haven’t seen Balotelli play except once or twice since his move, and although he is capable of scoring some jaw dropping goals, I have never got the sense of him being a great striker. He’s still young though, and can develop into it. I just don’t think he’s ready now. Although for all I know, he’s going to have a breakout year next season.

Micky, are you channeling your Piers Big M small organ in being a judge of the X factor? :p

Umm, we qualified for the CL, Kelsey, even if it was true.

arnie, a lawyer, called M’Lud 26, is extremely knowledgeable on FFP and might be persuaded to write something on the subject. :-)

I am all written out on the subject, because I have written extensively on the subject, in my ‘other life’ on various blogs – and have now given up as I felt I was wasting my time!

People will have their own agendas as to whether FFP is working or will work, or whether it is a good or a bad thing and snoooozzze …….

Pretty much agreed with all your comments today, Shard!! :-)

116. Shard says:

kelsey

There was an interesting interview with Tom Fox recently where although he didn’t specify the clauses, he said that the relationship Arsenal have with their sponsors isn’t necessarily one where the sponsors punish the club in their time of need. Which makes sense and I wonder if all clubs work like that.

Actually, let me try and find it again. That was an interesting read.

117. arnie says:

Redders and Shard: too much agreement? :razz:

Shard
    I’ll :-) you, although have no idea what you’re on about.
    Must dash.

119. Shard says:

yes arnie.. I agree with you about there being too much agreement :)

120. Shard says:

Micky,

Piers M (organ)

121. Shard says:

I seem to have killed the blog.

Love the idea of a leopard skin Lambo. I might have one of my bicycles customised.

Balotelii would be great but two hopes….. Bob Hope and No Hope.

I know the exact player we should sign to play alongside OG – Suarez.

AW identified the type of player he was looking for and tried to buy him. Who else is like the Biter? Aguero? Vela?

If he is available Alexi Sanchez would be a great signing (21 goals 15 assists last season).

I was thinking exactly that: Alexi Sanchez would be fantastic.

And Barcelona are going to have a big clear out…………..oooh, I like this one.

In fact I would prefer Alexi Sanchez over Ballatelli.

RA

A good suggestion if you don’t mind me saying, an update as to what has happened recently regarding the FFP from one of our learned bloggers would make interesting reading.

Haven’t had time to read all comments in centre forward debate.

But if we assume OG is first choice and his style of play (hold up man to bring others in from tippy tappy) then surely Theo is going to provide some of the goals we have missed in the second half of the season.

For whatever reason Pod does not work that great in our current system so someone with the pace of Theo for the left wing would be useful and maybe another back up pace merchant if those get injured or if we are looking for a different option and play Theo up top on his own.

We need to look through the squad and even with our new riches need to strike a balance of first choice man for every position and adequate back up.

I think we know our first choices for most positions:

GK: Szcesny

LB : Monreal
    CB : Vermaelen
    RB: Jenkinson
    CM : Flamini, Wilshere
    AM : Podolski, Gnabry, Ox
    CF : Sanogo

So clearly GK backup would be good, Robert Green or John Ruddy?

If Sagna goes then probably a new senior right back.

A different type of centre forward, Sanchez, Falcao, Cavani would all be dreamy, Remy and Papa Cisse offer a different slant, if we think the same type of player because Sanogo wouldn’t work I wouldn’t look further than Ricky Lambert although age isn’t on his side he is an excellent passer and finisher, and with Pochetino maybe on his way could be available.

Whilst all this talk of transfer activity I am surprised no one has mentioned the curious case of Yaya Toure and his agent, their machinations at City are ridiculous to the extreme but proof if any was needed how strange football has become a man paid £250k a week feels unappreciated……altogether now……banned word.

128. arnie says:
  129. neamman says:

Agree 100% about NicB. To me he threw his career away these past 6 months. I would say that he was played out of position for much of his time with us, was that a factor? Not justifying it… pay me 50K a week and I will happily clean all the toilets of the Emirates!!!

130. arnie says:
  131. arnie says:
  132. neamman says:

I have lost a lot of respect for Toure. Be a man.. you get upset because someone [your boss who pays you 100K plus a week] didn’t shake your hand?
    What world do you live on?????

133. arnie says:
  134. arnie says:

neamman: the “me” generation. of course, to Yaya Toure, he himself is the most important person in the world.

135. neamman says:

sad. He is so lucky yet he acts like a birk!

136. 26may1989 says:

Have just seen that micky said Balotelli is a great bloke. What tosh, Balotelli is a twat. But a bloody talented twat, I’d be delighted if he joined us, he’s exactly the sort of talent we need to add some real sparkle to our attack. Milan finished nowhere this season, and now moronic Italians are racially abusing Balotelli when he’s training to represent the country at the World Cup – what a screwed up situation, surely life in London would be much happier…..

I had a look at the final Serie A table – Juventus finished on 102 points, with a record of W33, D3, L2. Epic stuff.

arnie, re FFP, the essential point about sponsorship and other commercial deals is that UEFA have quite rightly adopted a system that allows them to analyse such deals to make sure they are market value deals. Without that, the sleazy buggers in the governments of Abu Dhabi and Qatar would be able to manipulate the whole system by putting in a series of pretend sponsorship contracts so as to inflate the income column, allowing greater levels of expenditure than can actually be sustained. So in the case of Abu Dhabi, City have a series of deals with Abu Dhabi entities, like the tourism authority, the state-owned phone company and the state-owned airline. Various family members of Sheikh Mansour run those organisations. I think it is fantastic that UEFA have had the guts to call those deals what they are, uncommercial mechanisms to try to avoid FFP.

Hey, I’ve just got my PC working again using an external ethernet card to USB. Yippee.

Great post, BR.
    Poor old Nikki pink boots (remember when stupidly coloured boots were something unusual); he’ll always be a trend-setter. The only trouble is, is that who wants to be a trend-setter in being a pillock? :)

I’m back working again at the moment so not around for long in the mornings. Especially when I’m off for a swim and sauna beforehand, like now.
    Taraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Now it’s a Sauna !!!!!!

Jeepers, whatever next.

“micky said Balotelli is a great bloke. What tosh, Balotelli is a twat”

If I’m being strictly honest, I would lean towards the “twat” definition if describing someone who might drive a leopard print lambo, and our Mario might.

However, I read he is very generous to those less privileged and does generous charity shit stuff.

I will also do anything to justify the fact that I like him.

See you in court :-)

Good to read chas fixed his computer but at a loss to understand how he did it.

And the sauna thing. So ’70’s San Francisco.

142. chas mobile says:

Just out. It’s the bit where the naked Scandinavians whip you with willow shoots that I like the best.

143. arnie says:

Balotelli is a twat. Right. One might have said the same thing about Suarez last summer. Or Cantona some years back.

What matters more is how they behave in the dressing room and the collegiality they show in the team. Apart from that, if he takes away all the media attention leaving the rest of the team in relative peace, all the better.

144. arnie says:

Forgot to wish you chums Good Motning,

European Elections today. No comments about politics though.

arnie. Not from me!

Wouldn’t it be great if we had a mole in the Arsenal management team who could give us information about the real transfer targets. It would allow a whole summer of fantasy & discussion.

Instead we are subjected to a summer of journo’s guesses.

The site has had a sidebar with all the supposed transfer targets in the past and it got silly. Rasp was adding to it every day.

Morning Guys,

I am not particularly fussed about Balotelli because as the instigator Micky says, it is not going to happen, although based on his talent, I would be very happy if someone waved a magic wand and made it so.

It is perhaps a little unfair to call him a ‘twat’. A little unusual in his priorities.

You see, he and many other players have come from modest backgrounds, like most of us, and had enormous wealth bestowed on them in a very short timescale – and that means they can make choices that baffle the rest of us.

Take Toure and his ridiculous rant, through his preposterous agent, about the lack of respect regarding his birthday. It seems that because another player in Eastern Europe was given an £800,000 Bugatti on his birthday, Toure wanted the same ‘respect’ bestowed upon himself.

Is he a ‘greedy bastard’ or just had his moral compass buggered up by riches beyond imagination. Probably both, if the story is true. :-)

147. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Raddy, great fun.

Transfer speculation is a healthy social activity. :razz: It is part of the ritual of being a fan. Even if there is no mole and all speculations are rubbish. :) :) :)

Look forward now to a long summer of fantastic speculation. :)

148. LBG says:

Yaya Toure/Balotelli both greedy twats…….. with lots of ability, but not for us.
    Find us the new Bergkamp Rolls Royce with class and elegance please, AW!

149. arnie says:

Peaches: whenever you wake up, please will you send Shard and me each other’s emails. cheers. :)

Arnie. I have sent it

151. Wow Rocky has come up with a brilliant idea for posts during the summer ………… thank you Rocky, first one coming up ……

152. We have a New Post ……………………..

153. AmosCP says:

Bendtner only needs to flee the media and all type of negative news. He has talent and can still take on the world if only he keeps his attitude in check. I love him. Love his confidence. I am happy he leaves with a medal.