In praise of Arsène Wenger but give him the funds to challenge

Morning Gooner’s

While reading Arnie’s post the other day, about other clubs Managers, I left a comment Praising Arsene Wenger. Now although I don’t go back on what I said, I believe I should clarify a few things. When I wrote why I like Wenger and why I feel he should stay, it may have given the impression that I am a happy Gooner. Now I am content with him, but that does not mean that I don’t expect expect him to try and do better in the future.

Arsenal supporters expect the team to be up there with the best in the league, and granted Wenger has managed to do that. But all supporters want to see us go that step further, and by that I don’t mean third. This season we headed the league to Christmas, yes the lead went from one to another, but that was because of television fixtures, but realistically we were the leading team.

Many Arsenal fans enjoyed the feeling of that position, and many myself included, also felt we had a chance, sadly that came undone by injuries, but it also brought home to me, the deficiencies our squad had.

Theo Walcott’s injury, left us with absolutely no pace up front. That was a major blow. Aaron Ramsey one player who broke through defences also went out, which left us toothless. Oliver Giroud did his best, but he had to hold the ball up, and had to wait for reinforcements, although Oliver is a tough nut to crack, he certainly lacks the Theo pace.

Jack Wilshere compounded our misery even more, and Koscielny’s short injury added to a depleted team. Our chance went right there, why? Because we didn’t have the same talent as back up. Our record signing also joined the walking wounded, so what were we left with? Our penetrating midfield out, our best through ball passer out, our fastest winger forward out, and our best central defender out.

Holes every where, and the talent on the bench was not up to the replacement standard. Oxlade Chamberlain, Serge Gnabry and Ya Ya Sanogo are players for the future, they just weren’t ready for a season of first team football. Had everybody stayed fit, we could have used all of these players sparingly, but we had to push them forward because we had too.

Wenger in all fairness has had to work on what seems a shoestring budget, he couldn’t have foreseen so many main players going out injured, so had to rely on these youngsters. Inexperienced, they had to take on some of the best teams in the league, if not the world, and all picked up injuries for their thanks.

Not many teams could have handled the amount of injuries that we had, and still have, with some players missing the end of the season. We took a few bad hidings that supporters are not used to seeing. Bad feeling crept in, accusations that the manager had not spent in the winter window, and how if he had brought five or six players in both windows, would have won us the league.

Unhappy supporters who’s pride had been hurt, can be very hurtful, when their Spud and Manc mates take the pee. But when they see the season out, and see what we have achieved, even with all the problems we have had, must see that this season is slightly better than last.

I have a lot of time for Wenger, but I would urge him to go to the board and say to them, I am only human you know, I need help and I need funds, we cannot keep buying kids, we have to have more Ozil’s, and we need them now, before the talent we have at the moment get itchy feet.

Wenger knows as we do, that sponsorship money has come in, yes we still have big debts, but we also have fans by the thousands, that deserve top players. They have had the big defeats, and now they want us to inflict them. Its time for our board to find the funds, as Wenger is needing that help now. We may not win the league next season but at least give us the chance.

Wenger if he signs, has 2 years left, give him the dammed money.

Written by Steve Palmer

170 Responses to In praise of Arsène Wenger but give him the funds to challenge

1. Thank you steve for the post.

After splashing £42m on Ozil you’d think I feel confident about a bit of a spending spree this summer. But I’m not. In the first instance we can’t or won’t compete with the oiled clubs for big money signings and secondly I’m not convinced that Arsene would even if we could.

I’m sure we’ll be buying some players but I expect more diamonds in the rough, maybe a top class right-back if Bacary moves on, but I feel Ozil will be a solitary member of our ‘expensive signings club’

Would love to be wrong though ………………..

Morning all, Peaches that “little” wall (about 2.5/3ft) is going, and is the reason for the redesign. :)

Steve, I am glad you pointed out the run of fixtures, as it was that run coupled with the injury list that left us short, would we have been better placed if those fixtures had been more evenly spread out during the second half? Afterall we won a fair few games with the depleted squad at other times (for example earlier in the season we were without Santi, Theo and Ox but still did ok. It was almost a perfect storm, foreseeable yes but as I always ask when it comes to squad depth can we afford more? We have a pretty full squad when everyone’s fit and some are not yet named in the 25.

Peaches Ozil was bought with our previous reserves of cash, from this summer we have the improved income from sponsorship and TV and no need to strike cash up front deals.

We are poised to go into the market, and I think before signing Arsene is waiting for assurances.

Great stuff Steve,

Before I launch into this, are we absolutely clear on any aspect of Arsene’s status.

I am not aware that he’s been offered a new contract. Is this right?

4. ray says:

Wenger’s reluctance to spend the boards money is what is holding Arsenal back.

Thought provoking Steve.

My first thoughts are where do we need to add to the squad.

First up there is the problem of who is leaving. If TV, Sagna and Fabianski leave there are three signings straight away.

I feel we will not add anyone on the right as Gnabry looks a wonderful prospect.

CF? I doubt it. Sanogo is clearly favoured by AW. I expect us to sign someone but have no suggestions. I will be hugely surprised to see AW spend an Ozil size amount.

So ….. I agree with Peaches.

Ray

There is zero evidence either way on what Arsene has to spend.

7. Tut tut Micky ……….. troll alert

8. Podge says:

Ideally we would complete our squad this summer, fill all the holes. Fabianski is leaving and good luck to him he deserves first team football. Sagna is leaving and as long as he doesn’t go to City good luck to him. Vermaelan may leave but the boss may block that potential transfer.
    So how many players do we need to ‘fill all the gaps’ replacing the back up keeper and first choice right back just to keep the squad where it is now. We will have to add at least one centre back even if Vermaelan stays. Arteta is slowing down and while he is still very useful we probably needed another more athletic body in midfield. We lack pace in our attack and apparently we need a striker according to a very quiet minority.
    Everyone has their favourites to come in and take those positions and when you add up the likely transfer fee total you can clearly see we wont be signing those ~6 players. If money wasn’t an issue would it really be a good idea to make 6 additions to a squad in one transfer window? I don’t think so.

Ok, my predictions.

Arsene only stays if we are top four, so I’ll only cover that bit as it’s a given :-)

Total Net spend £30M.

One top quality… at DM. Lars Bender type.
    Then, gap fillers for whoever leaves.

10. Micky – I think it’s widely accepted that Arsene has been offered a two year extension but he’s not made a decision yet about signing.

or rather the club are saving that piece of news to work some media magic on supporters around season ticket renewal time :)

Peaches

I “ummm’d” but thought it wasn’t Sniffers style.

I’ll simply shoot him next time :-)

Sorry Peaches, it simply can’t be accepted by me.

Things happen. Just suppose we didn’t get top four and the place went mental. I think the Board would be nuts to offer him two years in those circs.

So, I believe nothing.

First off, osteospermum.
    Back in a bit for Steve’s post.

14. Lovely Osteospermum :)

15. …………. but there must have been contract negotiations!!!!!!

“Wenger knows as we do, that sponsorship money has come in”

I bet that money is conditional on CL Football. So I reckon, that failure to get past qualifying stage for Tournament proper, combined with loss of participation money, would leave us with a considerably smaller transfer budget.

17. I agree with you that if we don’t make top four there could well be a meltdown amongst supporters and I feel the board would be very silly to think giving AW another two years would placate the uprising.

Ooo, just seen the Chas garden.

Yum, yum. Edible stuff. Am I right in spotting passion fruit, chives, thyme

19. The thing is, would we know if there was a successor already lined up ??????

20. Yes Micky, definitely passion fruit and chives ………….

So, can we agree Peaches?

No top four, no contract.

I actually don’t think Arsene would want to spend his last two years simply struggling to get back into the top four, whether the board would want him to or not.

Great post, Steve, cheers.

I’ve been pleased with our season and I think so far it has exceeded my expectations. Then again, I suppose it helps that I never really expected us to sustain a challenge for the title.

I don’t think we will be buying more Ozil-priced players, but the usual 10 to 15 million pounds gems to be polished. We won’t be competing with the financially-doped clubs for players. What’s the point when you are up against a bottomless oil-well of funds? I also don’t think money will be withheld from Wenger if he wishes to spend it.

Injuries did for us, just as they would have the dippers if it had been them suffering the same for their crucial personnel.

23. Yes Micky we agree :)

GiE may stop talking to us though he has said for a while that he thinks AW is leaving.

Sorry to disappoint but it’s chives and virginia creeper, though I have got shed loads of strawberry plants further down that raised bed which produced stacks of huge fruit last year. :)

25. It’s the pink avatar show :)

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, Wenger said yesterday that Arsenal fans shouldn’t expect an influx of new signings. He’s looking for stability not wholesale changes.

He’s still repeating his mantra from previous transfer windows. “It’s difficult to sign players early in the window”. “I will only sign a player who will improve the squad”. Etc. Etc.

Sanga, Fabianski and Vermaelen are more than likely to go, Vermaelen has become more and more injury prone over the past two seasons, he’s injured at the moment.

Jenkinson is not good enough to replace Sagna.

We need a right back.

We need a ‘keeper,

We need a centre back.

We surely have enough mid-fielders, with the caveat that fitness is not as much of an issue next season.

Giroud has limitations. Sanogo is not ready. Joel Campbell could come back from loan but has no Premiership experience.

We need a striker.

Does four signings represent an influx?

We have for too long been signing “prospects”. If there is to be only one or two signings they must be fully fledged, been there done that and got the tee-shirt types.

Please no more last minute loan signings. Kallstrom, through no fault of his own (back injury) turned out to be a waste of the paper his contract was written on.

27. crystals says:

Morning

Firstly sorry I missed your excellent article GN5 and some interesting comments from Martin Wengrow.

Secondly,RA 8 years for Mr.Clifford ,I do know what I am talink about sometimes :)

Thirdly,peaches please try and sort behind the scenes for me,it varies from day to day,I even had trouble posting my latest “is Mertesacker right?

Steve

We have always been a club clouded in mystery and the above comment by Raddy as to who is leaving, one would assume AW already knows.

Forth has to be secured firstly otherwise we could be 60 million worse off with no CL football therefore a drop on TV revenue for those matches and the Puma deal also has caveats in it, but I am pretty confident we will get forth.

The reliance on FFP by the club amounts to a gamble,but we will see.

Did I read that AW has warned there will be no major spending,and the comment has been removed.

Sanogo at this stage is an experiment which may or may not bare fruition.

Arteta definitely needs to be covered and a DM with power is just as important as a fox in the box.

I disagree about The Ox as I think when fully fit he should be a regular.

Not sure Gnabry has had enough playing time as yet to feature a lot.

Say AW doesn’t stay would a new man have the same financial restrictions .My answer is probably yes but our playing style maybe more flexible and not so predictable.

To be honest I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing if AW stays.He is definitely being out thought tactically against the other big boys and would he actually take advise from those around him, in other words can a leopard change his spots.

28. Oooh is the Parthenocissus a Henryana?

29. Scravaldio says:

I agree with some of your points in the article but this idea that Arsene has to beg for money from the board couldn’t be less accurate. This guy earn’t all of that money not the board and they know it in fcat they know that they themseleves are rich becuase of AW.
    If he turned around and said I am spending 150m this summer they would not stand in his way in fact i beleive that Ivan would actually be happy as every year he is told everyone we can spend and then we don’t so he looks like a right numpty. (Don’t say we did just because of Ozil because you know that this has been long long overdue.)
    We need Arsene to grow a pair in the transfer market this summer or we will be playing thursday spursday football and getting back up will take an effort that is simply beyond Arsene at his age.
    I would take the whole transfer dealing out of arsene’s control, he says who he wants and the club goes and gets them.

30. Danny says:

All that Ivan, Stan and Wenger want is 4th and probably by this evening that is what they would have achieved. It never crosses their minds that we could win the league. In January we had a chance, then Walcott and Ramsey got injured but did they buy anybody to take their places to continue to challenge for the title? No of course, coz 4th was more or less assured. They got Kim in knowing that even though he was injured if he played a couple of matches that would contribute to getting 4th.
    Last season on 29th January we were 5th and Gibbs got injured. Suddenly the holy 4th place looked a bit unsure so immediately Monreal a Spanish international was bought to get 4th. This season during the January transfer window this wasn’t required.
    This everybody is not good enough and is one of the major reasons that Van Persie, Cesc, Clichy etc left. This is why we need a new manager to say to the board and Ivan that 4th for Arsenal isn’t enough, this team should be challenging for the title.
    Oh well I guess we have a minimum of 2 more seasons of this 4th place ambition stuff.

31. crystals says:

The girl who lives upstairs to me is the ticket manager at Fulham. Does anyone want me to ask her if I can get a pair of FA Cup tickets,no promises.

I tend to agree with NG, by the way.

Here’s the garden at my old gaff

33. Morning crystals, did you have a lie-in :)

34. crystals says:

No,,had to go to A&E for my girl.

36. Oh wow chas, a proper plantsperson looked after that garden :)

37. …..and it looks like that was you …………

38. crystals – I definitely think you should ask her about tickets.

Hope all is well with your daughter.

Splendid Steve

Arsene is attempting to achieve what all Football Clubs should strive for, winning with style.

Its not enough any more just to win. The game has changed. Yeah the passion and sometimes irrational thinking that goes with supporting ones club is still there, but the commercialisation of the game has created a vast demand for entertainment.

The idea that Arsene is not a good tactician and is some how out thought by his opponents is nonsensical.

My own views on Arsene have not changed. I have always believed him to be a long term strategist as opposed to a short term tinkerer. Yes, subtle changes are evident in matches, but Arsenes long term vision of squad development restricts his hand. We are simply incapable of performing like Chelsea, and nor should we strive to.

Steve, I dont really buy your assertion that Arsene should bang on the Boards door and make demands for financial backing. He already gets it.

Up to this point, examination of the financial figures indicate that Arsenal spend what they have. This time last year we were all quibbling about Arsenals “socialist” wage structure and the Clubs inability to pay top wages to keep its better players. I don’t hear to much of that at the moment, do you?

Though our final league position may suggest otherwise, there has been improvement

These advancements, additional funds to keep our better players and procure more Ozil type quality, is at a very early stage.

I believe our time has come. This season i thought we could win the league but unfortunately we fell short. Next year however I reckon we will win it and it will only be the beginning of a great new era for our Club.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

There was even a vacant plot at the end……

41. Norfolk Gooner says:

Didn’t Wenger say earlier that he would wait until the end of the season before deciding his future?

If there had been talks between Arsenal and a prospective successor, surely something would have been leaked to the press, these sort of things always are.

The runners-up spot is still a mathematical possibility, but would fourth be seen as sufficient progress? Will winning the FA CUP satisfy the doubters?

Another season of Champions League football, with it’s associated publicity and cash rewards would in all probability satisfy Silent Stan and the sponsors, so Wengers fate is really in his own hands.

42. Shard says:

Maybe Wenger hasn’t signed the contract yet because he’s waiting to see whether the board back him with funds?

Wenger is quoted as saying yesterday we’re looking at only 2 or 3 players and apart from his reputation as stingy, has also been on record to say that any more than 3 signings can destabilise a squad.

I’m looking back to 2001 when Wenger signed a defender, a fullback, a striker, a midfielder, and a backup goalkeeper. (Campbell, Van Bronkhorst, Jeffers, Inamoto, Wright) We’ll probably need something similar again (note, not all of them would meet the criteria ‘top class’)

He’s done it before and made a team that was 10 points off the pace into clear champions. I think he can do it again.

WHo we need, how many we need, I’m not sure. I don’t think we need a ‘top class’ (ie expensive) striker. I think we need a striker with pace, and decent finishing. The kid Drmic could be an answer. Maybe also Remy. Plus there could be Campbell returning from loan, and Afobe and Akpom as well to decide on. We do need a midfielder (or mythical DM) but who? Bender? maybe. But what if, as reports suggest, Fabregas is moving.. Should we let him move somewhere else? Do we really need a ‘DM’ when we have Flamini and Ramsey? Could Coquelin come back? What about Aneke?

At the back, Sagna is almost certainly leaving. What of Vermaelen?

Basically, too many variables now. If Wenger says we just need to buy 2 or 3, I assume that he includes a keeper, a winger/striker, and a midfielder. With our youngsters and returning loanees filling out the squad. I don’t think that’s a bad thing with the likes of Gnabry, and Sanogo potentially getting more game time along with Podolski, Ox, Walcott and Ramsey.

43. Danny says:

“The Ghosts of the Thirties” would never have settled for 4th or 3rd or 2nd.
    Sorry but until we get a new manager 4th will continue to be are annual target.

I think it’s quinquefolia, peaches.
    Might have to get the Thierryana, though. :)

Crystals

“Does anyone want me to ask her if I can get a pair of FA Cup tickets”

I very much doubt you’ll find any takers on an Arsenal site, where at least two ST Holders have lost out :-)

So I probably wouldn’t bother if I were you :-)

46. Excellent name change, I shall be referring to mine as Thierryana from now on :)

Hi Shard

I’d put money on Theo to score more through the middle in the current Arsenal team over a season than a Remy.

In fact, I remain convinced that Theo was about to get a run prior to his injury.

It will be fascinating to see whether a central striker is signed if Arsene is around. I doubt it very much.

48. Here’s our answer …..

49. I agree about Theo ………. big loss this season, huge loss this season, massivo loss this season :(

I am going to the game. Missed out on a ticket but luckily I have a mate who has Wembley season tickets

Dont even like the bloke. He has a habit of scratching his bum and whilst you having a conversation, counting money. But I have no choice.

51. I think I might have mentioned it before lol

You want to watch that Therryana Plant like a hawk.

It has a tendency to re-seed itself. Believe me, if the sun shines brighter on your neighbours side of the fence, it’ll stay a while, stop fruiting, pinch the best of your nutritional soil, then bugger off :-)

53. I haven’t got a problem with Giroud, he does his job, he hasn’t had the players around him in the area to either feed or feed him. I hope he stays.

54. All climbers do that Micky, they are the most disloyal of plants and romp off to the other side as soon as they’re big enough. The trick is to get your neighbour to plant one on their side too ;)

Nice thinking Peaches :-)

56. Shard says:

Hi Micky,

I’m wondering if we’re going to make the switch to 4-4-2 next season, and that is what the (rumoured) signing of Bender is aiming to allow. But if not, Remy can play wide right while Theo plays centre, or the other way round.. Makes no difference. We need more speed and one or two more numbers in attack. Drmic, Vela, Remy, all are fairly quick, and decent finishers. I’d be happy with one (or maybe 2) of them.

I like Japanese knot weed as it can ruin the next door neighbours foundations. Top quality plant

58. No Thai orchids, Chas?

I used have green fingers way back when I worked in the ear, NOSE, and throat department at the Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford.

59. wally says:

I really do want to stop hearing about financial constraints. Our wage bill is as high as anyone in the league. There isn’t anyone we can’t afford if we so choose. The question is whether dear leader will choose to or not.

As to requirements for next season, they’ve been duly noted. Another CB, two if Vermaelen leaves. A FB if Sagna goes (Jenkinson is no where near ready for prime time, the fact that he could barely get on the field this year tells you that), DM reinforcements as Arteta ages, and Flamini racks up the cards, another striker without a doubt (if Wenger doesn’t sign one it tells you he’s not really serious). That Sanogo is in this side at this point in his career says more about our ambitions than capabilities. A back up goalie.

That’s 5 players. To think that we’ll get by with 2 maybe 3 additions and 5 departures is nonsense. It means we’re destined for more of the same.

Shard. Where does Podolski play? IMO there is zero chance we will sign two attacking players. Remy could be a decent squad player, Vela would be mad to return and Drmic is very young and probably a long-term prospect.

I still hold out hope for Draxler.

Raddy

If we signed Draxler and Bender, we may as well quit the PL right away, as we’d be too good, and simply enter The World Cup :-)

Right, off to surf.

62. The return of the Yummy One???????

Raddy – why would he be mad to want to return? He plays on the left ………. he’s a shoe-in surely?

63. Look at our leeeeetle frogs ……….

64. Maybe Bobby could play on the left tomorrow, five minutes :)

Good afternoon people. :-)

Mr Wenger has said he will not authorise any player sales this season, so Vernaelen and Poldi will stay.

I went back to re-read the report again, and realised our canny Frenchman had added ‘yet’ as a suffix.

So if he does let them go, (players will go if they want – we should know that) does that add 2 to his estimate of ‘2 or 3 players in’, making it five, or does that mean 2 less, making it 1.

Very tricky our Arsene. :-)

Peaches. Because he is a confidence player who has done well in Spain. Why return to a country where he probably hates the weather, the language and has been a flop?

I think he is just putting out feelers for a bigger club in Spain.

For those who read my ‘life changing comment, yesterday, I can now explain.

Among a number of ‘life indicators’ that researchers have discovered is a very simple one that can predict whether you will live for another 5 to 10 years or not, with apparently huge and worrying accuracy.

First, stand on one leg. Now count to 30. make a note of how far you get – don’t go past 30 – it is not necessary.

Off you go. will get back to you with the second part.

[Not sure what allowance is made for a winged bird, Peaches] :-)

Excellent Post, Steve, really apposite to the current situation.

How many fish did you catch yesterday? :-)

OK,

For those who have remarked about Wenger going cap in hand to the Board for funds — do you remember this from last summer?

Arsenal’s chief executive, Ivan Gazidis declared, “This year (2013) we are beginning to see something we have been planning for some time, which is the escalation in our financial firepower. We have a certain amount of money which we’ve held in reserve and we have also got new revenue streams coming on board (2014) and all of these things mean we can do some things which would excite you.”

When asked if Arsenal could buy a player for £25 million and a salary of £10 million a year he said “Of course we could do that. We could do more than that.”

And true to his word, Arsenal bought Ozil for £42.5 million and a salary exceeding £7 million per annum.

If Wenger wants – Wenger gets. :-)

70. Shard says:

BR

I admit I haven’t thought about it very well.. Unfotunately, I have injured my knee yet again.. and it’s swollen up very scarily.. Still hopeful it isn’t a ligament tear, but am completely bed ridden right now.

On the whole, you are probably right that we will not add more than one attacking player, although Wenger being Wenger, you never know. He can’t have been happy at our attack falling apart this season without Walcott and Ramsey and will surely want to rectify that.

I think if Vermaelen stays, we won’t need a CB (Hayden will be the 4th choice) Add a midfielder in place of Kallstrom, and give either Aneke or Zelalem a few games and midfield is sorted.

Add a striker/winger and increased roles for Gnabry and (maybe) Campbell, and that is a fairly big squad.

Only Sagna and Fabianski will then need replacing, but that takes the bought players to 4… Are we planning on giving Jenkinson and Bellerin the RB slots? (Or perhaps Coquelin?) WIth Flamini being occasional backup? I hope not. And as RA pointed out, perhaps it is 2 or 3 players except for players who might leave. In which case we could get 5 players total :D

In any case, it promises to be an exciting summer, although I bet as it goes on and the moans about first, a lack of transfer action, and then, about the ‘class’ of the transfers, will make me change my mind.

71. Wham supporters singing ‘Tottenham Hotspur it’s happened again’

Wham 2 Totts 0

72. Should be four up, Lloris amazing

Shard. I guess you will not be doing RA’s 1.00 p.m. !!

I have completely bolloxed mt right knee twice. Ten years later I ski, run, cycle and swim. Fear not – it just requires patience and then rigourous recuperation programmes

74. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, May i thank you all for some great comments.
    I see a few of you believe that all the Arsenal are looking for is that 4th placed position. I honestly think that getting to that position is almost as hard as winning the league.

Because Arsene has done it for seventeen years on the trott, doesn’t make it easy. For quite a few years now there has been a lot of changes , lots of money has come into the game and clubs who had been waiting a lifetime for success, appeared like Magic at the top of the league.

The twoing and throwing of such wealth, really upset the apple cart. Not many could have predicted some of the changes that happened. I would imagine Wenger himself was knocked sideways by it.

Clubs coming in with wealthy owners spending obscene amounts of money, but even worse than that, buying every single top rate player, and outbidding even established clubs that were at the top.

Wenger is part of the establishment, and as some have said, Maybe if he did ask they would say yes, but we can only surmise that that is the case.

I feel Wenger is deep down a winner, he hates to lose, he almost crawls into the interview room when we lose, he makes excuses up, he talks double Dutch a lot of the time just to deflect the blame from the players,

If i found out that loads of money has always been there, and Wenger has refused to use it, I would probably shoot him myself. But i just can’t believe it.

75. stevepalmer1 says:

RA. My first Carp of the season and i must say it must be the smallest in the lake 5lb but a fish all the same, I feel like Wenger did when he bagged Ozil.

Better get the Forty pounder very soon, as i only lasted 5 seconds on one leg :)

Both WHU & AFC beat THFC 3 times in a season. They really are pisspoor.

How did Downing know that Mr Banjo and Mr Dildo would both want to get out of the way. :)

Ooops, Paulinho and Cow’s arse.

Steve. IMO it is total nonsense to say that AW and the BoD set 4th as their target. What is is , is their MINIMUM target as it should be.

It infuriates me to continually read comments about lack of ambition when they take no consideration of the difficulties of working in a financially rigged league. Just as it is very very difficult for teams below us to shift the Arsenal from the top 4.

But I accept my intolerance of what is in my opinion crass stupidity

I’ve just realised that the audio speeded up makes Owen slightly more palatable. :)

81. Bayonne Jean says:

The gift that keeps on giving….Spuds lose to FatSam. Watch wall defending by Paulinho and Adebayor on second goal for ROFL moment of the weekend.

Interesting; if Manure win the rest of their matches, they match Spuds on points with a better GD and go into Europe as sixth place team. Question: who would you prefer to see waste their resources in Europa League — Spuds or Manure?

Surely Vela on the right, and Theo on the left….quite like that both are excellent finishers.

As for the continued “em when Aaron and Theo were injured we should have bought”. Bought what standard? And what to do with them once Aaron and Theo return? This is not Championship Manager, books have to be balanced.

I also think we need to look at Ivan’s comments about spending in context, when are they made? What purpose do they serve? If the club really want to spend and Arsene doesn’t what should the club do? But the club offered him a new contract, despite Arsene’s approval rating probably being at its lowest ebb……so ask yourself is that the decision of a club who doesn’t like what the manager is doing?

West Ham having a lap of appreciation, god the stick that we get for doing that at the end of the season!?

83. Norfolk Gooner says:

Chas, only the mute button can make Owen palatable. :D

84. Norfolk Gooner says:

Conversation heard at Upton Park…”Ooh look out Pauline that nasty man is going to kick that ball right at us”. “Na na nanana! yer missed us, yer missed us” “Thanks for the warning Ada” “Good job it went into the net, it could have hurt somebody”.

85. Come on Fulham, would like to see them stay up.

86. Norfolk Gooner says:

…and your point is ray?

87. Norfolk Gooner says:

Manure one nil down to Sunderland at home. Giggs In, Giggs in. :D

88. Norfolk Gooner says:

Ray, where has he ever “promised” to win anything?

The troll comes in many shapes and sizes, he has even learnt to ctrl+c ctrl+v

Don’t feed the troll.

I just heard Ginola and James say that 5th or 6th isn’t good enough for Spuds.

They must be joking……surely someone tell me they are joking…..or that they put laughing gas in the Bubbles at Upton Park.

92. I wander away and a troll appears ………

93. Bayonne Jean says:

No more speculation about United winning the rest of their fixtures to claim sixth.

Still the worst outcome in this season….how did Gunners manage to claim only one point against this pile of manure?

MU desperate for a couple of CB’s. AW must under no circumstance sell Koscielny or TV to them

95. crystals says:

and we only got one measly point from a team in disarray. Feck it :)

Come on City. 3 points not none

Yeah and we got 6 points from the team above them in the table. Cup half full or empty?

As Raddy says cup half full or empty.

Maureen fans will say he knows how to win the big games, Maureen critics will say hasn’t won enough against the lesser teams.

99. I think it is a valid point that we should have taken more points off manure as they were a weaker force this season. If we had beaten them would it have given us more confidence for other big games?

I like Dzeko. I like him more now.

101. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry BigR, for not answering your 2.44, Unexpected company turned up .

I do agree with what you said, Many Gunners have got used to that top four position, Many have stated that they couldn’t care if we finish lower.

Well i can understand how some say they want us higher, but i certainly can’t fathom the lower. Supporters confuse the life out of me at times, they want Arsenal to win the league but are not bothered where we finish.

Are these people really supporters.

102. crystals says:

Raddy

Never mind the also rans,United are the current champions which ever way you look at it :)

103. crystals says:

No they are not Steve. If you read LG 75% of them are still in school shorts and don’t really know anything about football let alone Arsenal.

104. stevepalmer1 says:

Well said Crystals :)

105. stevepalmer1 says:

3.1 City, I have started smiling. :)

Crystals. For once I agree with you

My affection for Dzeko has just increased 100% !

Could we see Bendtner start tomorrow :-D

107. eldergooner says:

Good post Steve , interesting stuff.
    Just seen on BBC that City’s third goal is their 150 th this season and their goal difference in the league is 60 !!! Gulp and gulp again.

108. 26may1989 says:

I know it’s against our interests but I really hope Everton get the third goal.

109. stevepalmer1 says:

Thanks ElderG, yeh good stats mate, but they aint avin it all their own way in this game.

110. Reddawn says:

This season despite the detractors, has been a good season. Let us consider, the players who are slated for being second string, have helped us to qualify for European football next season. Added to the fact, that all the younger players have matured and we will have our star players fit for next season, puts things into perspective. We look forward to the possibility of winning the cup final, plus maybe, some new signings before the new season. I’m a cup 3/4 full man.

111. crystals says:

OK, forth secured so even with the WC we really should do any business early with the CL qualifier before the season starts.
    I don’t think Wilshere or The Ox will feature for the 3 games England will play so with my Arsenal hat on it’s better if they have a rest.

113. eldergooner says:

Could we see a changed team now tomorrow in light of toffees v shity result and maybe an eye on Wembley ?

114. Champions league football for us next season ……..never doubted us for a moment :)

115. TwentyTwelve says:

Arsenal are now guaranteed fourth, but could they by some miracle get third?

All those dormers who were convinced we wouldn’t get a CL spot must be gutted. Actually, knowing how shallow they are, they are probably celebrating and telling everyone it were never in doubt.

117. crystals says:

How dare you talk about peaches like that Raddy :)

118. Yeah Raddy how can you say that about me ;)

Oops. I forgot to tell you the second part of the one legged thing – and it apples to males and females.

Having stood on one leg for up to 30 second – either one – now it is time to stand on either foot you prefer – with your eyes closed.

If you can count to 30 seconds you will live for at least another 10 years.

If it is only 15 seconds you will live for 4 to 6 years-ish.

If it is only 2 or 3 seconds … the news is not good.

(There is no effort required – just stand on one foot – with your eyes closed, and count to 30 seconds — off you go! :-)

120. TwentyTwelve – it would have to be some miracle!!!!!!!! Chelsea to lose their last two games and we win ours is our only hope I’m afraid. Their goal difference is far superior so they’d need to drop points in both of their games.

Too true, Raddy.

Peaches OUT — And Micky – just because.

122. stevepalmer1 says:

It is possible though Peaches.
    All we have to do is win 3 games. :)

123. TwentyTwelve says:

Agreed, peaches. Chelsea v Norwich is no given, but I cannot see Cardiff getting all three pts, although it will be their last home game before going down. Miracle can happen :) Keep winning, Arsenal!

124. Adrian says:

Hope we don’t play with the handbrakes off tomorrow tho now that we’re guaranteed 4th! Glad city won today. Not just for our sake, but because I’d rather see City win it then Liverpool.

RA,7.49 I have 6months to live. Can someone take over the pre-matches after Xmas?

126. stevepalmer1 says:

Thats better than me BR, don’t think i’ll see out May day

It is surprisingly difficult.

Apparently, the brain is like a computer – which we all know – but it can go slightly or seriously doolally without us being necessarily aware of that.

Closing the eyes while balancing on one leg requires the computer to process data from the ears, (sound and balance), the feet for feel and it can sometimes ‘freeze’ like a real computer because it is wearing out or has a glitch.

Some people can only stand like that (one leg – eyes closed) for two or three seconds, but that might be because you are or are not wearing comfortable shoes.

Anyway – don’t worry about it – you could fall over and not make it for even one year! :-)

128. crystals says:

When do I stop RA I am missing Britains Got Talent.

129. fatgingergooner says:

Well that’s Champions League football wrapped up for another season. Well done to Arsene and the boys on that one. Does that mean it’s been a successful season? Erm, I suppose from the beginning of the season….yes, but from the new year, maybe not. Maybe your view depends on how much you allowed yourself to dream when we were top of the league.

For me, it’s ultimately been a step forward this season (which could be underlined with an FA cup victory). We have struggled in key parts of the season, mainly due to injuries and a lack of pace in the squad, but if we finish 7 points behind City and lose only 1 more game than them, then I would say that’s a good effort overall. Add the improved defensive displays (only 21 goals conceded if you take out those 4 shocking results) and unbeaten record at home in the PL since week 2, and you can definitely see progress.

The worrying factors are the poor results against the top 3, aswell as our lack of PL goals this season, but these can be fixed with a top striker and some more defensive know how in midfield, aswell as fit players of course.

If we can beat Hull on May 17th and do some good business in the summer, then I think we may well look back in a few years time at this season and see that it was a turning point, on and off the field.

Looking forward to the Tuesday and Wednesday nights once again!

Kelsey Balls,

You are not supposed to be lying down doing it. :-)

As a rule of thumb, for the rest of you, you can stop when you see stars – you will probably have fallen over and cracked your head. :-)

131. fatgingergooner says:

I see the Vela story has come up again recently. I think he would be a bargain at only £4m and would give someone like Morata a little bit of time to develop into the top class striker he surely will become. £25m for the pair? I wish!

132. stevepalmer1 says:

Wenger in talks with Fabregas, Apparently Gazedez and Wenger put a clause in his contract, that should he want to leave Barca then we should be the first to know, Should anybody bid on him we have first refusal

It appears Wenger has asked after him and also phoned to ask him his thoughts.

Fabregas has been unhappy this season, Played out of position and subbed many times.

Wenger had been in touch with Fabregas last season and Cesc told him he would see it out for another season, but now may be a good time to move.

Barca want to restructure, so Cesc may be surplus

133. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger would create space for Cesc, he loves him as a player.

For pure footballing reasons I’d have him at Arsenal in a heartbeat.

134. stevepalmer1 says:

Me too :) Cesc has supposedly said, that other than Barca, Arsenal is the only other club he would want to join. 20 odd mill Euro triggers this clause.

Cesc back? Without doubt.

Take back over from Arteta? Yes please he needs to be involved in the game in the heat of midfield. My guess would be both Guardiola and Villanova had a huge part in his return, with what has sadly happened to Tito and with Guardiola in Munich and Iniesta and Xavi seemingly around a while longer time is running out. And let’s face it if first refusal means he doesn’t go to ManUre then it has to be done. He still has mates at Arsenal and if we can add Song into the deal?

136. RC78 says:

Top 4 again…Again at the bottom of the Top 4…
    Yet, CL footie on the horizon – let us not forget we must play the play-ff game to qualify for the CL main draw…

Anyways, one good things done….Now let us win the FA Cup and strengthen for next year

Hi Redders

I tried your standing on one foot test and rather than the expected “Congratulations Mancini, you unfit twat. You have 20 years to live” I now fear my time is nigh.

Unfortunately, I attempted the test forgetting I was wearing my highest seceret heels for men shoes, thus slipped and ended up doing the splits.

The agony and imobility was unberable, leaving me no choice but to shout out to my estranged wife for help.

After a few yells back of “eff off, hope you kop it” I barked out there would be financial remuneration, so she came upstairs.

“Dont just stand there” I excalimed, “Help me to the couch”

She wouldnt do it, insisting that my offer of £1,000 and collection of china dolls was not enough.

She left me there, legs akimbo, but more worrying was not knowing which bloody way my groin was facing.

After a good five minutes agonising what the future would hold for a wig wearing Eunuch, she came back with the deeds of the house. So now ime homeless to.

I calculate that a combination of homelessness, baldness, and non functioning groin reduces my life expectancy by 80%. I tried to test this theory by once again standing on one leg, but just like my groin, couldnt get it up.

hahaha, sniffer, i know your comments will be removed so know one will know what ime laughing at, but I find your snidey comments very funny hahaha

139. Happy St Forth Place Day !.

VCC tried that standing on one leg thingy and is still going strong…..mind you, the cheating bastard is propped up by his zimmer frame !.

140. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the post, Steve.

Through all of the gossip, it is an established fact that Wenger tried to sign Suarez and Cabaye last summer, which demonstrates two areas of the pitch where he thought we should strengthen, but only with the best quality players. His comments this about having a busy summer but not needing many new players reads to me like he wants to complete those tasks. It is always pointless to think about whether Wenger will spend big on particular players – when the money is there, he is willing to spend it, but he also doesn’t see the point of spending it on whichever players are the fashion of the moment. He could spend Ozil-like money on a player or two this summer or he might not.

But it is certainly true that we have the resources available, so if there is a chance to sign important players, the funds ought to be there. And it is also true that we have reached a stage in development where we should be above all else ambitious. We are a big club, with big revenues, some excellent players and a great manager – we can and should be getting closer to the oilers and their ilk.

As for what we need, that’s where it gets tough. Not so much because of finances, but because we could end up needing to bring in so many players that the squad dynamics become upset by too much change. Which I guess is one reason why Wenger might refuse to allow a player like Vermaelen to go, despite the obvious justification for a player like to feel he should move. Another factor might be Mertesacker: he was excellent in the first half of the season but looked more lacking after the new year.

To improve the squad, we need to keep the forwards we have and recruit at least one top quality attacking player, and I would like to think we might go for two (doubt it will happen). Draxler would be great, as would Balotelli. From what I’ve seen (not a lot), Griezmann looks good. Vela is intriguing, and looks a different player to when we had him before – I can’t believe he would really return but he always had talent, so perhaps.

The DM one is the other area we can see might need to be improved (Arteta slowing, Flamini not good enough). Scheiderlin would be the one I would want.

A priority should be trying to convince Sagna to stay – I’m sure every effort is being made, but it is a critical one for a number of reasons: having had a poor season last year, he has been very good this year (with some duff performances in the mega defeats though); he is our fourth choice CB; and Corporal Jenks, love him, but he isn’t close to being good enough to a first pick. Plus having to sign a top quality RB (Coleman, Alves) would cost a lot of money.

We will definitely need to make at least one signing at GK. I haven’t seen enough of Viviano, but perhaps we should sign him permanently to be second pick. Even if we do, will Martinez (on loan at Sheff Weds) be good enough to be third? If we did go into the market, David Marshall at now relegated Cardiff would be good, but who knows if he’d be available. And at CB, will we need a new fourth choice player? Hayden (as suggested), Miquel? Go back for Ashley Williams?

There’s a lot of good in our squad but it’s not good enough yet. The idea of Cesc coming back is a really interesting idea – the trouble is it would require re-engineering the side. We are now built around Ozil (at least to my eye) – could we really accommodate a double engine of Mesut and Cesc? Would it leave us too soft defensively? I would also think it would mean the end of Jack Wilshere being a Gunner – some might think that would be a good thing. Where is LB, by the way? :)

All in all, a lot of questions for this summer. More than I’d like, to be honest.

141. 26may1989 says:

Has this season been a success or a failure?

Bit of both. We showed fantastic solidity and consistency until January, but throughout the season, we’ve looked more pedestrian than any of us would like. The goals scored column is testament to that. And then when it started to go wrong, it did it spectacularly.

4th place for us does look disappointing, and it is, but nobody foresaw Liverpool’s amazing last half of the season, not even them. My Liverpool mates were still saying in December that they were rooting for Arsenal to win the title, on the assumption that 4th was the summit of their ambitions. I don’t think we’ve gone backwards, and the emergence of Ramsey has been the highlight of the season, but I don’t feel too warm and fuzzy about where we have finished and how we got there. We could and should have done better, even with all the injuries.

Amazing to think that Everton, Spurs and Hull will be in the Europa League next season but not Man United. As the MotD highlights showed, whoever gets Moyes’ old office has an enormous job ahead: a new defence and a new midfield – you don’t get those from LIDL.

City certainly look like champions now. From a footballing point of view, it amazes me how they haven’t won everything in the last four years or so. Says something about a lack of character there that they make it such a competition, despite having so many superb players. But it does look like they’ll win now.

Stunning recoveries from Crystal Pulis and Sunderland, much respect. And it was good to see Roberto Martinez serving such a good apprenticeship for taking over from Le Prof in a year or two…..

142. ai-zed says:

hello all, can’t believe i’m dropping a comment this late on an arsene wenger themed post. had to travel to treat a rather adorable patient (i’m a vet by the way). so, 4th place all nicely wrapped up, the blue mancs marching on to the title (my prefered non-arsenal winners) & an FA cup final looming, we win that & its been a really good season for me (monkey off our back and all that). as much as I love cesc I don’t know what his coming back would mean for the team & team dynamics; what would it mean for cazorla, and jack? we struggle when we play with jack & Rambo as the double pivot, would a cesc/Ramsey collaboration fare better? is he our NEED? I long for a better and more competitive cover for theo, either that or a really good left winger, Madrid playing alonso & modric actually showed me that we need a cover for Ramsey more than we need an upgrade on arteta considering that we have the flame who covers well for(and defends better than) arteta. jack still needs some discipline to learn (position wise & possession wise)…….other transfers I believe should be based on the outflux of players (keeper, defenders)

143. 26may1989 says:

@ Ai-Zed: You’re right about the FA Cup, if we do win it, that will be a proper achievement. The fact that we have “easy” sides in the semi and final obscures the fact that we had a really tough run of draws: we had to knock out Liverpool, Everton and Spurs before we got to the semis. So if we do win at Wembley, I’ll take plenty of pride in the team’s achievement.

144. eldergooner says:

Please please please tell me it´s not true ! BBC , Football , Gossip , Daily Mirror report that Rio Ferdinand could be coming to the Gunners !!!!! Please Arsene , remember Sylvestre and don´t do this.

Mind you , there´s also a report there that we are lining up a bid for Diego Costa as he has a 31million release clause (I know, Suarez) in his contract.Now that is all day long erection material . Yes please.

About Cesc. No thank you . Let´s move on and remember that we won bugger all when he was here (sub for the FA Cup) – and he had a lot of injury issues. Have those gone away? No , I like where we are and what we are doing now so let´s move forward . Clocks don´t go back until October and transfer window is closed then – so no Cesc please. He jumped ship before and now he´s doing it again.

That’s my transfer window and season round up done.

Superb, and I agree with every word.

146. crystals says:

Morning

In case you need it Raddy

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Arsenal have lost just two of their last 15 Premier League meetings with West Brom, and they’re unbeaten in the last six.
    The Gunners have found the net in all of their 15 Premier League clashes with the Baggies.

Arsenal

Arsenal haven’t lost at home in the league since the opening day of the season, with 12 wins and five draws from their last 17 matches.
    The Gunners have won three successive league games. This follows a run which saw them win just two of their previous nine.
    This weekend could see Arsenal guarantee a top-four finish for an 18th consecutive season. They last finished outside the top four in 1995-96.
    They have the second best record in the league against teams in the bottom half of the table. Out of their 18 matches they have won 15, drawn two and lost just once.
    Arsene Wenger’s side have kept 15 clean sheets in the league. Only Chelsea, with 17, have kept more.

West Bromwich Albion

West Brom haven’t won back-to-back league matches since September, when they beat Sunderland 3-0 at home and then won 2-1 against Manchester United at Old Trafford.
    Eight of West Brom’s last nine league goals have come before half-time.
    The Baggies are one of three Premier League clubs who are yet to receive a red card during this campaign. Aston Villa and Southampton are the other two.
    West Brom are unbeaten in all five league matches when Saido Berahino has scored this season, winning four of them. He scored his first goal since 1 January in the win over West Ham last weekend

With regards to Cesc I think sentiment shouldn’t come into it. I think we sold him for about 35 million though I don’t know the amount involved in the buy back clause.

By their high standards Barca have faltered this season,new manager and Cesc has been a sub more than a starter.

Do we need yet another gifted small midfielder as I don’t see Cesc as a DM.
    We need a more physical bigger presence in the team.

I inspected my balls and for once came away with two scenarios.Either a really tight game which we might edge by the odd goal or as we have now secured forth which equates to less pressure and more confidence boosting in the team that we may just run riot against the Baggies.

I hope we play our strongest team available none of this now we have qualified for CL let’s experiment in a few positions.The atmosphere should be great inside the stadium,relief I suspect.

Interesting fact is that we topped the league on 20 occasions this season.

Question

I was listening to the last 20 minutes of the Everton City game on the way home yesterday.

Anyone else just a little disappointed it leaves nothing riding on todays’ game?

Of course I’m absolutely delighted we’ve confirmed 4th, but it would have been nice to have to cement it with a home win in front of the fans.

Talking of 4th, Chas, you do remember don’t you how I regard you as my bestest friend?

Raddy,
    Pack your bag. We’re back on the road next season :-)

Morning Elder and Crystals.

Elder, my feelings on Cesc is that I’d rather build that central position around Mesut, and aim for speed and power on either side of him.

Crystals,
    Glad you’ve adopted my name for you, as I thought you may have felt offended, and preferred Kelsey Out :-)

I really hope we sign Bac for a few more years, as it would be much cheaper than a replacement and add continuity. It would also limit the number of new faces required for the 1st XI, as I think two is the most, followed by one or two hopefuls

Yesterday, Oscar and I were scoffing bacon rolls in a café as we waited for the tide to change, and saw this in our local paper, The Western Morning News.

First Surf book ever nominated in British Sports Book Awards, and done by three local photographers.

Mmmm, just looked for the book on Amazon, and it’s only £16.74.

Can’t be that great quality printing. Still.

Some great stuff from 26 last night.

Peaches – could they be cobbled together for a post next week subject to 26’s permission? Or maybe not!!

152. Morning Fourth Place Trophy Friends

There, that wasn’t so difficult was it :)

I’m having to shelve my plans to go to the game today :( firstly because I can’t really get dressed :( secondly because I just feel too vulnerable still :( :(

My friend down the road is delighted because her uncle is here from Cyprus and he was desperate to go, so it’s a mitzvah as we say in the old country :) Hope he sees six goals from the Gunners today :)

153. Where is everyone ………. it’s match day and a real no pressure game :P :P :P

154. crystals says:

Peaches WBA still aren’t out of the woods so the pressure is all theirs.

Why don’t you go as Lady Godiva ;)

155. Charybdis1966 says:

Motning all, last home game of the season so who’s going and is anyone going to the pub beforehand?

156. chary!!!!!! Eeeek, did you use one of the silver memberships to get your ticket?

157. crystals – we laugh at another teams’ pressure, we are The Mighty Arsenal hahahahahahahaha

sorry Peaches – busy elsewhere ;-)

Terry Mancini, @ 10:48, you are an absolute comic genius. I have only just stopped laughing, and now I have hurt my groin too. :-) :-)

160. Charybdis1966 says:

Hiya Peachy, sadly it was the platinum and golds who got a shot at the FA Cup final tickets so it’s unlikely I’ll get one 😕.

No, for today, because I’m not going!!!!!!! But I can send the ticket with someone

162. Obviously, that’s me, not Rasp :)

Two top notch comments from 26, and as BR says which I agree, they should make a post.

I love Cesc as much as the next Arsenal supporter — but he is not going to be coming back any time soon; the reason, is not as 26 playfully suggests that it could spell the end of Wilshere at Arsenal. It is more a case for me that Ramsey has filled Cesc’s spot to the point where the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Rasp. I am done -get busy :-D

LB. BAng on. I love Cesc but that ship has sailed.

Morning all ……

….. New post ………

167. He doesn’t need to spend big, but he needs to stop faffing about and sign some decent players.