Can you help cure our injuries?

Morning Gooners

Injuries have blighted us again this season, although we’re in fourth place with three games to play, which in a league of twenty that’s not a bad position at all, but injuries I am sure have robbed us of at least two or three  positions. I know this is not just this year as we all know we seem to suffer more than a lot of others.

What causes these seasonal injuries, we could say our players are just not robust enough, but we do have a fairly large squad and we do bring in the odd one or two in, but are we doing something wrong, or are we just unlucky. Do we encourage injury by the way we play, many’s the time I hear players and managers commenting that if they get in our faces and play physical we are easily turned over.

Now I am not sure that is the answer, as we seem to get our fair share of bookings. Are we easier in the tackle than the rest? I always remember in my playing days that it was said, that if you go into a tackle half-hearted you always come out worse off. Many would say that size may have some bearing on it. Our midfield are not the biggest around and after all it is the engine room of the team, so power must come from it, but I must admit I never really feel that we are that powerful. We have little Santi, Jack and Arteta and Rosicky isn’t so big either but then you have Aaron, who seems pretty sizeable, but he’s only just come back after quite a spell out and Koscienly too.

Diaby has been out for a season but he tops six feet so it appears size is not the reason. Diet and training has to be considered as it seemed to make a massive difference when Wenger first came, enough for other clubs to follow our lead so that seems out of the question. So what has changed that we now suffer so badly,

You would be justified to look at equipment, Football boots, shin guards, cycle shorts and now I see some players wearing under shielding. Football boots have changed over the years from ankle protective boots made out of natural leathers butwe now don the latest man made fibre low cut shoe type footwear, maybe that can account for some injuries.

Maybe even the footballs. They also have changed from lace up leather heavy balls, to lightweight man made  symmetrical shaped balls, that tend not to fly straight. Maybe stretching for a ball you feel should come straight to you, but at the last second it moves could cause a stretch, but then that would be for all teams so that is out of the question too.

Now I seem to be running out of possibilities, but I shouldn’t exclude the medical staff. They massage the players before, during and after the game , they nurse the players back to fitness, and their advice is also used in warm ups and warm downs, could that be a reason as all clubs must have different methods. In my day a hamstring was just a hamstring but today its Hamstring 1 2 or 3 that seems to denote how long it takes to repair. Metatarsal and cruciates and other injuries I have never heard of, also seem to be a modern thing, Maybe the equipment used today has brought some of those ailments to the fore, but others also would suffer the same, so maybe not.

I seem to have run out of options and haven’t cleared up this problem, so perhaps you have some suggestions that may solve this important fault, then maybe we’ll be the team at the top. instead of where we are.

Written by Steve Palmer1

100 Responses to Can you help cure our injuries?

1. wam says:

not a big enough squad. Same players, playing the same brand of football which winds up the opposition players into body checks and leaving a foot in, and then they have to play again 3 days later. No recovery time brings on stress injuries that keep a player out for 4 weeks.

Voluntarily leave a player at home for 1 week in 4 or lose them for all 4 weeks.

If Arsenal hired me I could save them wasting £5m a year on wages for injured players. Is that worth a £1m a year contract for me? I think so.

2. Pat7 says:

Running out of puff two thirds through the season sounds like not enough strength training. Added into this is the fact we start with not more than the bare 15 or so plus i juries of players trusted by AW to do a job so we have to over use the players we have who may or may not have been i nury prone before bought…..

Over use means more injuries, especially as the game has greatly developed in speed and technique so tireness and non-rotation really costs us.

Ah Steve,

“Can you help cure our injuries?”

I’ve been waiting so long for someone to ask me this question, so thank you. By the way, my answer is “Yes”. Easy.

I know the logical thing is simply to assume they’re a bunch of poofs, but I think that would be wrong, just because guys like Ollie and Jack spend half their time writhing on the ground with fake injuries.

So, my solution. Stop training on perfect surfaces.

I understand this is good for ball skills, and excellent preparation for playing on todays’ superb pitches, but for preparing the body for unexpected twists and turns, utter pants.

I don’t do team sports, but I do potter about from time to time. I’m guessing I’ve pretty much covered every inch of Dartmoor’s 360 square miles, and you know what, no more than about two inches are flat and unblemished. What this means is that your body compensates, with your weight shifting constantly, thus strengthening bits and bobs you don’t necessarily need for moving on perfectly even surfaces. Do I pull a muscle and blub every time I fall over? No, I don’t.

Therefore, the answer is this. Two days a week, and it’s a cross country run. Goodbye London Colney, Hello Brecon Beacons.

4. Naz says:

On a side note, a psychologist may be beneficial to the team in order to get over big game fears etc.

5. arnie says:

Great stuff, Steve. :) I know very little about fitness or training. As you might imagine, I am a couch potato. But I would like to learn something from all of you chums.

OK, and then on to Micky. About Ollie, I would like to differ. I would say Ollie takes an awful lot of knocks every game. And every time he rises up. IMO, he is a genuinely hard nut! :razz: Further, if that were not so, we would probably have been in bigger trouble this year.

But, endurance training in Brecon Beacons sounds like a good idea. :) :)

Over-cosseted namby pamby woofters or just bad luck;who knows?

I’d still like to know what kind of injury Rambo had which seemed so hard to resolve. Muscle strains shouldn’t take 3 months to overcome, surely?

I like the Micky’s uneven surface training idea. Even for ball work it would be excellent for strengthening parts of the musculature which rarely get a work-out. Perhaps if they played on some proper glue pot pitches, they might find it twice as easy next time they play on a bowling green, eh, kelsey?

Another idea I had was to employ really ugly and aggressive physios so that a spell on the sidelines becomes less of an attractive proposition.

Also some yoga-taekwondo fusion training would be useful for when we play Stoke. Keeping calm and being able to kick the doodahs out of the opposition all in one blistering package.

This really is the $64000.00 question,Steve.

I have a theory but maybe it’s just a shot in the dark.

We are known to have the best playing surface in the land and has won numerous awards and I guess our state of the art training centre is as good.
    We play a certain type of football under AW which was originally modelled on Barca and when on song the level pitch helps our style,even the new Wembley is not as flat and is slower.
    I don’t know the stats but I feel most of our injuries occur either when we play Away and especially when our players are on international duty.

Even allowing for this one would expect our medical team and the player himself would know when they are fit to play in the most intensive league in thw world.

If players or even the manager are lying and know the particular player isn’t 100% fit it is a risk to play him, and AW has in the past more or less admitted that he has played players in the red zone.

Of course there are just some players who have an interrupted career because they are jus plain injury pronne. All clubs have them but we seem to top the league regularly.

chas,

I was just typing as your comment went up and I think Micky and I are on the same wavelength.

Bowls :) In Spain we played on an outside carpet rink so it was always an even surface but in England where they place outside in the Summer the green is always slower and uneven in the early months,totally unpredictable and requires more physical effort.

Steve a valid question.

I wonder why so many put it at the door of the brand of football we play. Surely it should be the refs responsibility to apply the laws of the game. Yes opposition teams like to get in our faces, but continual fouling should surely merit cards?

Maybe the problem if it is to do with style of play is more of ref’s and ex pros…..why ex pros?

Because they are generally pundits, and refs are swayed by public (and therefore media) opinion. Look at how many penalties are given for players initiating contact now, far fewer and rightly so. But still yesterday Michael Owen believed Osman should have been awarded a penalty despite being on the way down as soon as he tied the ball out if touch and waiting for the contact. It really beggars belief but is the way he played so it must be right.

Someone who we spoke to at the Green Man pre semi final said that the players are upset with the medical staff, apparently Gibbs was diagnosed with a hernia, went for treatment…then tweaked again in training and when looking at the original scans they realised they’d missed a double hernia. If true not good for our diagnosis teams.

I said a few seasons back the most disastrous people to exit the club were Gary Lewin and the Team Doctor, both snaffled by the FA for England Team Duties full time. Since then the situation has for worse and worse.

10. Good call on the uneven surface training !. A bit like having some nookie on a nice flat bed, it`s not as strenuous as in the back of a Bond Bug !. ( have you seen how much room there is in the back of a Bond Bug ! ) A Bond Bug session is world renowned for pulling women who like a dangerous playboy lover and improving stamina and subtleness !. Although at this moment in time, I`ve got cramp in my buttocks and my fingers have gone numb !….could some fetch a crow bar !…I`m stuck !…..I`m in Tesco`s car park in Launceston !……make it quick though, a crowds gathering !.

11. Joe says:

Could it just be that Arsenal players surfer more foul tackling and do not get the protection they should.

Steve. Good post on a subject under scrutiny not just on the blogs but at the Emirates.

I am sure AW would pay millions to have a fit squad throughout the season. Impact injuries cannot be helped but soft tissue??

Brecon Beacons? Porthcawl beach would be better

Thanks Steve, the answer is almost certainly a combination of factors rather than one primary cause.

Things we’d hope aren’t to blame are :
    Incompetent medical staff
    Rushing players back before they are properly recovered
    Overplaying players until they are in the ‘red zone’
    Recruiting players who are injury prone or not physically strong enough
    Training techniques

Things that would be more acceptable as reasons:
    Lack of protection by referees
    Style of play

So it is clear that there are more negatives than positives. I’m sure the club are very concerned and have been trying hard to put things right. The last 2 categories (Lack of protection by referees & style of play) we can do very little about, there is always room for improvement in the other areas.

15. White Bear says:

foocking stupid Chavs trying to sing louder than the Scousers with their ‘You never walk alone’ . Love Pool or hate them, but there is no other athem like theirs

Well that’s another feather in the cap of Maureen, he is just Pulis with money. The screen/block by Ivanovic was straight out of the Dark Arts coaching manual. Would I want him and would I want his football….simply put…..never.

Rasp on players being rushed back how much do you think us player choice?

Compare Rambo and Jack. As Chas said a 3 week muscle pull turned in to a 3 month unknown, now maybe it was a bargaining tool to avoid players prices going up, but maybe the return to the side and what they were capable of when they returned could be because one would rather be fully fit and one is just desperate to play and will lie.

Hi GiE, I’m not looking for scapegoats. I’d imagine every decent player probably wants to return a bit earlier than is wise – it has to be the call of the medics/coaches. I’m not saying it’s a problem at Arsenal necessarily, the whole point of the post is that none of us have a clue :?

Chaps

Changing tack slightly, but some advice worth passing on.

Do not ever go to a shop called B and Q. You will want to buy something, and it will be on a shelf somewhere surrounded by lots and lots of other things. Every one of the staff are “special needs”, and know nothing of any value. Take an Orangutan with you, as the jungle dweller will have a far clearer idea of how to serve you. Grrrr

Although I don’t mind Pool winning the title, a draw here wouldn’t be bad, as we want City still in the hunt when they go to Goodison. So come on Suarez “dive” :-)

Just asking a question Rasp…no more.

LB would probably say Jack has delivered what he is capable of, whereas I haven’t seen the same player since his lay off. Whereas Rambo seemed (this time) to come back and be straight back to his old self.

Yes I agree with that GiE.

Cesc said Jack was the best player on the pitch against Barca – and he was correct, we haven’t seen him play at that level for a long time.

My son is writing a thesis about the effect of various parameters on sporting performance and the psychological aspect is always the great unknown. It may just be that Aaron’s temperament is more stable than Jack’s.

Cockie @ 1:02,

Launceston Tesco’s? Hold on in there. I’m coming.

(Damn, Rasp is bound to misinterpret that last sentence)

I agree with Rasper, agreeing with Exile 2 3:37.

Well done, Steve, a good Post, thank you. :-)

My pet hate is amateur physiologists cum doctors.

What is it with people who second guess professionals, and then have a fall back that it must all be Wenger’s fault. Tssh.

I am a devotee of the Master Duflong Didit, and I believe that the answer is simples.

Little Arsenal man comes into contact with big opposition man and gets hurtee.

Wassa not to understand? :-)

You can be my manager, Chas. :-)

Chas @ 3:50,

What no Duck?

Clispy duck gone back China

31. jnyc says:

Mourihno makes me sick.

I agree with that Johnny, but he gives me a horrible feeling that there may be something to all this tactics nonsense :-(

Chas

Talking of the Crispy Duck, has Beijing really quit?

34. Pat7 says:

Just got home and scanned through. MickeyDidIt has another good point about some training on rougher ground which certainly makes sense. They could do their warm up or run down on some dodgier ground or dod some specific work using MBTs a special shoe designed to train-in instability. I offered AW this possibility 8-9 years ago (?) when i was in the UK but got blanked…..i remember Sol and TH14 at least being out with ankle turnovers at that time so offered my expertise on something i had latched onto at the time (as a Personal Trainer – i was not after anything, just to help my team!).

Pat7
    “MickeyDidIt has another good point”
    Agreed.
    Just can’t remember the other one :-)

Good news, I think, City 1-0 up

37. Adrian says:

Mourinho wants a result, mourinho gets a result. If it wasn’t for steven gerrard’s slip he would still have found a way to win, be it a deflection from 30 yards or another beach ball incident. Not pretty to watch in any way, and his smugness is overwhelming (just watch his post match interview), but if you ever want a win at a rivals ground you know who to call. And let’s face it, that hypocritical, arrogant tactical genius know what’s he doing.

As for someone mentioning our training sessions not being tough enough being a probable cause of our huge injury list, I read somewhere recently that it was the opposite. Apparently it was reported that our training regime especially during the pre seasion was so rigid that it was comparable to the marines (direct quote as I remembered), and that was the main reason behind our burnout and injuries during mid season.

Adrian. 2nd para. So what becomes clear is that none of us know the training regimes nor why AFC continually top the injury lists but if we only dealt with facts there would be no blogs :-)

A bit ironic that Chelsea use every trick in the book for time wasting almost fom the start and then score in the time added on.

I hate the man and the team but they nearly always get a result when it really matters.Love him or hate him or his style of play he is tactically astute.

photo/1

41. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all.
    May i just apologise for not responding, as i was unaware of the posting, and went fishing. I noticed on my phone but couldn’t get my comment through.

Some blinding comments, i knew you lot would come up with lots of idea’s and some good ones too.

And before you ask No bugger all. :)

43. stevepalmer1 says:

Was impressed with the idea of training on a dodgy surface, Also what you find is, its better for ball control as well, makes you think when a pass is coming.

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Pat7 introduce it to Puma mate, you could make a fortune and still help the club.

Man Utd (Moyes) 0 Chelsea 0
    Tottenham (AVB) 1 Chelsea 1
    Chelsea 0 West Ham 0
    West Brom (Clarke) 1 Chelsea 1
    Aston Villa 1 Chelsea 0
    Crystal Palace 1 Chelsea 0
    Chelsea 1 Sunderland 2

You see what happens when he meets other defensive managers? F’ all. Tactical genius or one trick pony like everyone else?

46. stevepalmer1 says:

Don’t rub it in Chas :)

Feel sorry for Stevee Gee, he is going to have nightmares about that slip night after night.

After night.

After night….

No worse than Kompany felt 2 weeks ago.

LB the worst is there is going to be a video of his “speech” to his players post Man City screaming “we will not let this slip, not let it slip now”.

Oops.

I really like the Alcaraz one as he wrong foots his keeper, but the Coleman one is my favourite because he wrong foots everyone and himself.

53. Adrian says:

Trev

Yes that is true, but I would say his strikers have let him down this season as compared to city and liverpool’s strikers. Loaning out Lukaku hasn’t exactly helped his case either. Perhaps this is why he has been grinding out games more often than not lately.

Similiarly I could say, does Pellegrini and Rodgers strike me as being more tactically astute than Mourinho this campaign? I would say no, even though Rodgers seems to have come leaps and bounds as compared to his previous seasons. Then again, having a fully fit and in form Suarez and Sturridge tends to make it a little easier.

54. Adrian says:

*except for Sturridge’s recent hamstring injury.

Adrian one of the biggest things Rodgers has had to his advantage is at least 4 days to work with his players before each game, meaning he can work on whatever the new system is going to be (if they are changin it to suit opponents) or get personnel working together. Those 4 days allows them to get over injury molehills also as the players are going to train with each other for four days minimum.

Chelsea, City and Arsenal have a system they stick to. It allows players to drop in and out with as little disruption as possible, the biggest tactical tweak Maureen may make is putting in two Defensive Midfielders or three. He doesn’t stay in jobs for more than two or three seasons because people get bored of him and his tactics very quickly.

In fact it is probably what Moyes found so difficult at United, having only a few days between games meant he did not have time to drill his players and change their style/formation from game to game as he was used to doing at Everton.

See he isn’t a big game player either:

Cheers Steve, great post my old son

I find lack of running avoids injury. In fact no movement what so ever is even better. This is why my career as a Limbo Dancer was cut tragicaly short.

If our players can embrace paranoid fear with manic compulsive disorder, we will never have an injury again. Several years ago in order to impress I took a lady to Paris. During our stay we ambled across some narrow bridge when I was suddenly consumed with fear that the bridge would collapse and I would be consumed by the sea.

I fell to the floor, curled up in a ball, and yelled for a Barry Manilow song to calm me. I managed through my tears to crawl to the other end, but the relationship ended. Apparently women dont like men who whilst travaling a bridge insist on wearing a life jacket.

The reality of course is that our players are not as disturbed as I, though i have reservations about Nicolas Bendtner, he looks like the kind of guy that would demand a Lifeboat was on tow, so i have another theory.

We have a lot of young players who have an untested injury record. In other words its an added risk nurturing youngsters .

If you combine that with the fact that we play a very fast moving game and that loads of our players are weak enough to be beaten to a pulp by a lower than average sized Darts player, I think that explains it.

58. Sav from Australia says:

Thanks for the post Steve. This is a key issue for AFC. Reading Untold Arsenals injury reviews from earlier this season, I suspect the big difference between Arsenal and everyone else is lack of referee protection, particularly in domestic competition.

But alas, that will be an ongoing issue as long as the current negative bias towards Arsenal continues.

Solution? My opinion AW is working in the solution and it is to be unstoppable, irresistible, a deep squad, and we just need a few more players brought in or stepping up and we are there. So close…so close…I’m cautiously optimistic.

Great pic of Lucas.

I was being serious yesterday about players being weak as a result of perfect surfaces. Any children these days who show real promise are whisked away to Club Academies, and all the training is done on artificial surfaces.

I have friends whose children who have played with Plymouth and I have run my theory past them. They did not look at me in a particularly odd way.

I thought it was a good idea.
    Why would anyone think you weren’t serious?

I’ve seen us play away at Stoke and QPR where the pitch was so bad that a week’s training on a pitch with uneven bounce and texture would have been ideal preparation, regardless of any long term strengthening benefits.

I reckon at least not watering our training ground and letting grass grow longer would be useful in preparation for games like Stoke.

On kids and perfect pitches for training I kind of agree but only at lower levels, one of the things that put us behind the other countries is lack of AstroTurf meaning kids can’t train in winter. But on the other hand I have played against kids on AstroTurf who clearly only ever play on AstroTurf their skill set is much better, but us old’uns normally say something like “try that on the Dog and Ducks pitch and you’ll have issues.”

Exile

Loved your stats on Maureen’s tactical deficiencies :-)

lads
    I’m concerned that children playing from such a young age on perfectly even surfaces will be innately weak in adulthood.

they will develop only the core strength required (naturally) leaving them vulnerable to the unexpected.

I like your idea, Micky.

Wibbly, wobbly pitches are the way forward. :-)

It would be worth the odd twisted ankle, wrenched knee and stubbed toe to make us as good as Stoke.

And another consequent benefit of such radical thinking is that 60,000 fans at the Ems would burn effigies of the person who introduced the scheme alongside Guy Fawkes.

Ernm that would be you then, Micky. :-)

Terry, @ 11:05 p.m.

I do not suppose you will ever read this as you and your pigeon won’t be up until this afternoon.

You are in the wrong profession! You have an innately wonderful imagination and see the comic in situations that no one else on any blog can better.

You are a genuinely funny man – with an element of pathos that consistently makes so many of us laugh.

Just go on being yourself and let the syrup tale care of itself. :-)

RA 8.05. I agree 100%.

69. White Bear says:

kids needs to be brought up properly to be successful sportsmen. I watched a programme about 7-11 year old Thai kick-boxers – they are starved, made jog between cars on streets at night, locked in car boots on boiling hot days to lose weight and punished for not winning. The champs can support the whole village

70. White Bear says:

how come the rugby players are seldom carried off the pitch and carry on playing with broken noses, thumbs, bleeding mouths, etc

RA

I never suggested poor pitches at the Ems.
    I say being brought up on and then training on perfect surfaces is poor preparation.
    Why do I bother :-) (rolly eyeballs one)

Cannot wait for the game tonight

72. eldergooner says:

@WBear.
    “locked in car boots on boiling hot days to lose weight and punished for not winning”. What on earth do they do to them as a punishment ? You have to tell me or my whole week will be ruined !

73. White Bear says:

elder – mental torture follows. They are made feel guilty for depriving the family of the prize money. Shocking, horrific, sad. Thousands Thais go to watch little kids fighting, many boys carried out from the ring on a stretcher

74. arnie says:

Motning all.

What? Terry is not a comedian by profession, and neither a writer? :razz:

75. arnie says:

Micky: I agree fully with your suggestion. The problem is that people always expect ROLF, particularly in the motnings. I wonder why! :razz:

76. Ever wondered why so many foreign country players have better football skills ?….one word….landmines !…….one bad first touch and you lose a leg !.

77. Vinay says:

I think a psychologist would be a great idea, even a motivator who can help the team as well as Wenger as they seem so sucked up in the pressure all the time.

Injuries are a part and parcel of the game but id did read an article which says our training technique borders on danger and this maybe one of the reasons that we have players getting unstuck so often and taking so long to recover.

Imagine a young Wilshere at 18-20 had the world at his feet but this constant injuries may reduce him to be an if only if talent,.That will be horrible.

We need to re work on the training, it should be more a shake your cobwebs and get in the groove training than intense first touch, ball control, outside of the foot pass, etc. These players know how to do it on the pitch and let them do so there. End of the training session the players can practice on such stuff but the whole training should not be so intense.

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, 8.52 AM
    Take away their mobile phones and play stations :)

I did play on Astro turf and remember the horrible burns we used to get.. We always played with trainers on as well no studs to get caught up. Many of our players seem to spend a bit of time on the deck so burns would be horrendous. We made sure we never went down, as it took ages to heal up.

Micky @8:48,

I never suggested that you did suggest such pitches at the Ems.

Please accept my profuse apologies for not taking your non-suggestion seriously – I hang my head in shame for a lamentable attempt at humour.

We need to get more serious on here!!

Arnie

I’m sure all our problems could be resolved by coaches, masseuses, nannies and the psychologists for the little darlings, all buying more training “apps” for their ipads

ROLF :-)

RA
    No-one confuses me more than myself :-)

Maybe they’re too skinny and don’t drink enough beer.
    How often did Big Tone tweak a hammy?

If you keep tightening a string, eventually it breaks. Put some lubricant on it.

83. stevepalmer1 says:

Now all you guys that played football and some who still do, how much training did you do. Now i played for 30 years man and boy but i have to say many of those years were just game to game and not much training. At jobs i had in the past we had a big number of footballers and we did have open ground where we played at lunchtimes, most of these were at full pelt for an hour, but not to many suffered that much.

We talk about burn out with 50 games a season being blamed, perhaps more time in the classroom and a little less in actual contact football.

I used to go Jogging for endurance training but that was only so i could last a full game, Maybe they train to much.

Morning all, Raddy, I’m trying to get into your PM to insert the pitch graphic but it appears you’re still logged in?

Evonne
    Yikes. Exactly which tv channels do you watch?

Rasp

Raddy says he couldn’t care less about team layout so long as Aaron and Ox start :-)

Oh, and Pod because he scores goals, and mesut and santi because they’re very good.

Aha Micky, but I have inside info and the Ox is not in the starting line up :lol:

Rasper,

Is your ‘inside information’ as reliable as Kelsey’s or his crystal currants? :-)

90. stevepalmer1 says:

When you look at people who break planks of wood with a Karate chop, not many break their hand, and most of the time the plank or brick breaks. But what happens with the guy who does has doubts in his mind the moment before he makes contact.

Same thing if you are involved in an accident you walk away scott free, You haven’t had a chance to think about anything. But should you have time you can see the danger and are thinking negative.

Don’t know if you understand what i’m saying, but i think the Japanese word is Chee.

Rasp. Sorry – very slow start to my day. Done now.

No worries Raddy ….. fine job :P