3 goals, 3 points and we are back on track.

Arsenal fans always seem to find a whipping boy just now it’s Arteta and of course Giroud, but I will come back to that in a moment.

There is no such thing as an easy game in the PL (ask Chelsea)  and confidence seemed to be coming back after the midweek win against West Ham so expectations were high for our visit to Hull, especially with the return of Koscienly, Ozil and Ramsey. However, for the best part of half an hour we again seemed off the pace and Hull created one or two chances notably when Livermore hit the post from distance.

This seemed to be a wake up call. I had asked beforehand if Cazorla and Ozil could play together, but more importantly open up a very physical and determined Hull defence? The answer was an emphatic yes, but it was the inclusion of Ramsey, who is going to be a world class player, that gave us the extra impetus and it was he who opened the scoring, ably assisted by Ozil and Cazorla.

ozil and rambo

Ozil seemed to have a free role and after a reasonably long lay off showed all the doubters that he oozes class. Further excellent goals by Podolski, sealed the match and at times we were seeing the Arsenal of old with pace, fluidity and a renewed confidence.

ramsey v hull

Giroud comes in for a lot of stick from many sections of the fan base but he laid off the ball for the second and takes a bruising every single game. Despite his twenty goals this season, he is not a natural clinical striker but he has a part to play in the squad and we will see come the end of the season if he stays or goes or even possibly gets demoted to an alternative forward if we venture into the market .

poldi scores v hull

Arteta is slowing up and still had a reasonable game but we need someone with a more physical presence for next season. My only beef about him is that often he slows the game down especially when we are counter attacking.

All in all it was a pleasing performance and still kept us on track for CL qualification yet the main talking point was how much we had missed the Welsh Wizard who considering his long lay off really made a huge difference to our attacking options.

Confidence, returning players,and goals are back in abundance, so all in all a positive position to be in for the final run in.

kelsey

169 Responses to 3 goals, 3 points and we are back on track.

1. Very happy about the win. Ramsey has been a terrible loss this season, missing 17 league games. There’s no doubt in my mind we’d still be challenging for the league, had he been fit.

The only point I want to make is about how Liverpool have shown how important it is a) to have a lethal striker, and b) to be able to keep that player when suitors have come knocking.

We were definitely done over by Henry in the summer, who refused to honour Suarez’s release clause. Possibly Suarez didn’t really want to come to Arsenal and that’s why he didn’t attempt to force the issue. Nevertheless, it showed we *were* and therefore still are, in the market for a striker.

I’m desperately hoping Arsene can work some magic this summer and bring in a striker of extremely high quality. That may limit our options to buy replacements in other positions, but a striker is what we have missed in those big games: someone to put away those fleeting chances and put us on the front foot to play on the counter.

Last summer was a bit of a disaster. We only ended up with Ozil out of pure luck. We could easily have missed out on him, and the feeling remains that he was a luxury purchase, the sort that Man City or Chelsea usually make: a player you don’t really need but have the money to buy so you get him anyway.

We simply cannot afford to have another transfer window this summer like that.

2. Shubham says:

Keep the momentum going. Need to bring home the FA Cup and get the 9 year monkey of our back. Then build a strong spine for next season and we’ll be knocking the doors. COYG!!

3. Shubham says:

Also friends in AA please update the tables.

Nice summary Kelsey

Not a lot to disagree with there.

I was a bit confused about the dig at Arteta yesterday, I thought he played well…………..Long term? Well, I understand the concern.

5. Danny says:

We were 1 – 0 up when Livermore hit the post if I remember correctly.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, nicely done Kelsey.

Ultimately a comfortable win despite another slow start, why don’t we ever sprint out of the blocks?

No doubt which player has been missed most, Ramsey!

I thought Arteta did pretty well considering he had a tooth knocked out by some lumbering Hullite.

Three league games and a Cup Final to go, so now is not the time for dissecting player’s performances and speculating on possible comings and goings. Just get behind the club as a whole an dcheer the team on to the end of the season.

7. arnie says:

Lovely report on a pleasing game, yes. Well done Arsenal, well said Kelsey. :)

Norfolk: ” Just get behind the club as a whole an cheer the team on to the end of the season.” Yes. COYG. :) :) :)

8. arnie says:

Shubham. :) The tables seem pretty complete to me, leaving aside yesterday’s game. And except the GiE’s swingometer, which is not being updated for obvious reasons. :razz: Likewise, the TT mobbollix! :razz:

9. arnie says:

I might add that there seems to be good spirit within the team, and this bodes well for the run in. COYG. :)

10. arnie says:

Every game is like a knock out now. Newcastle next Monday is key. COYG. :)

11. arnie says:

And that’s 5. :razz: :razz: :razz:

Arnie the swingometer is being updated on my PC I just haven’t submitted for a while because there was a period when that was looking bleaker. We are still +3 points on last season according to my swingo.

Liverpool’s stats on the swingo are wrong as if anyone looks carefully there was a clerical error by yours truly and they had the same swing as us, when in fact they were already plus 15 points and the League summit was beckoning.

Nice summary on the game Kelsey, rather than highlight Girouds weakness I thought the return of Rambo in particular highlighted his strength, with players willing to run into central positions his movement out wide drags centre backs around. If no one is filling those voids as has been the case since Jan/Feb he looks ineffective.

13. RC78 says:

Good news:
    – Ramsey showed great form since his return and being decisive by assisting, scoring and creating chances
    – Podolski is on a good run
    – Ozil cme back showing some nice touches
    – Giroud had a good game

Bad news:
    – We are not defending as a block anymore and this is extremely worrying. We were exposed too frequently by Hull…We got away with it today and against West Ham but it could have gone either way…To be honest, we really need to address this defensive frailty. The main issue being the lack of defensive aggression and wits showed by Monreal, Arteta and also (surprisingly) by Kos

Others:
    – I hope that Wilshere is watching Ramsey taking his game to another level because this is where Wilshere should be by now! He needs to keep fit and work hard. Ramsey has improved tremendously, especially offensively…I hope that Wilshere has the same development – I would even argue that it would be great to see him improve greatly defensively…They would need be very compatible, especially if we stick to 3 players in the middle of the park…Ramsey – RECRUIT – Wilshere

– We better improve defensively when we meet HUll in the final of the Cup!

Nice one, Madame Kelse.

Gazing at your ball produced such a fine outcome this week.

15. arnie says:

Is there any way to see tomorrow’s U21 game against the Chavs. On tele or stream? :)

Kelsey.

I was expecting a sub standard report this time because you apparently had actually seen the match for a change, and not just gazed into your crystal balls, but no, that was a very good write up.

Well done and thank you. :-)

I tend to agree with LB that Arteta played very well yesterday, but with his legs going and also his confession that he does not enjoy playing at DM, it is possible that he will be moving on in the summer.

I think you’ll be struggling, arnie, what with their first team playing.
    It’s not even on the Chelsea TV schedule as highlights.

Danny, you may well be right.

RC78,

I see your point to a degree but we have had an ever changing defensive line up these past few months and I thought all in all we gave Stoke I mean Hull very few opportunities to score.

I forgot to mention that Santi had one of his best games Away from home for a long time and an interesting fact was that we didn’t have a corner in the whole game.

Good report Kelsey.

The game was a glimpse of the early season and showed us just how good this season could have been.

It is also a sad reflection on all those “experts” that have spent the last 10/12 games beating their anti Wenger drums after every poor result. I seldom involve myself in the player “reviews” but I believe that to criticize either Arteta or Giroud falls into the same category as criticizing Wenger – the “expert reviewers” need to give themselves a pinch – of antidote for the bile they constantly spew up.

20. arnie says:

Kelsey: Is that right? 3 goals and no corners? Yes, our attack was more through the centre, and this is both the reason and the outcome of lack of pace down the wings somewhat. But this is quite extraordinary. :)

I think from now on all match reports should say that every player played well and that the manager was perfect.

Oh, but wait, wouldn’t that bring an end to all blogs, hmmmm?

Oh of course we had two stonewall penalties not given.

I thought Flamini might have come on for the latter part of the game maybe for Arteta but then on reflection once we were 3-0 up and Jelovic and Long were subbed there was no need .

I don’t think it will be a disadvantage being oods on favorites to win the cup despite beating Hull twice. They will have to put out a weaker tam and our boys will all want that trophy.

The next point maybe contraversial but I have a feeling that Wilshere may struggle to be an automatic choice to get back into the team, and hopefully when fuly fit,which could be a while yet, and being a contraversial character he will have to buckle down or dare I say may want to leave.

Thanks for the report Kelsey, I only managed to see the highlights – which made us look like the Barca of old :P

As regards the lack of corners – that could also be seen as a good thing …. meaning we controlled the ball from out wide and passed infield to feet rather than hoofing it in the air which often results in a defender heading it out for a corner?

Kelsey that is a strange comment about Li’l Jack which is not controversial, just ….. strange.

— “I have a feeling that Wilshere may struggle to be an automatic choice to get back into the team, and hopefully when fuly fit,which could be a while yet, and being a contraversial character he will have to buckle down or dare I say may want to leave.”

You base all of that on a feeling and surrounded by so many caveats that you couldn’t shake a stick at them.

Jack will be delighted to hear it.

LB,

Being critical of specific performances by individual players is one thing but to continually beat the drums of discontent is to miss the bigger point and the consequences of critical injuries to vital players. Which in turn forces AW to use other players during periods when they are a tad off their game.

No player is at his peak performance level for every game and they need a spell on the bench to revitalize themselves. AW has not been able to do that and the team, individual players and our results have all suffered as a consequence.

assists update sent, Rasp.

This is the band we saw on Saturday. It was so much fun. What a great weekend.

Rasper,

We are woeful at attacking corners and never look like scoring from them anyway. That probably is because we get pushed, pulled and held by the shirt whichever team we play.

We were subject to a number of corner kicks ourselves and made a hash of most of them, but luckily Hull were boss-eyed.

The reason we were so poor at defending them, at first, was because of that zonal marking system, where our guys stand in a line like stooges, and allow the opposition to run to the ball and leap over our static defenders.

I know it is a given at Arsenal that that is the way we defend corners and free kick crosses, but I hate it.

Thanks chas :)

Redders, I would prefer we weaved intricate passing moves into the box and created chances that way rather than pumping the ball in the air. As to the shirt pulling etcetera – its the same for all teams so we just have to deal with it. I am not a great fan of zonal marking or floating in corners (it seems this is our preference) so let’s keep hold of the ball and do what we do best.

kelsey. Thank you for the report.

I happen to agree with you about Wlishire (rare I know!).

With Ramsey, Ox, Gnabry,and a new DM, I cannot see him as a first choice player. Lack of pace is the problem.

RA

I will try and explain that a little better.As you know I am not a master of words.

Jack has suffered a number of serious injuries and I actually believe he didn’t have enough time to regain full fitness and was played whilst in the “red zone” though he has had a few good games,but his instinctiveness is to attack and not defend, and we are well blessed in that area. He doesn’t score often and IMO AW wants him to play deeper, and there is the problem

.As I said he is a feisty character,a bit of a rebel (not always a bad thing) and I think he might struggle to be an automatic choice when fully fit.

OK, Kelsey, I understand.

I do not think any player can expect to be automatically included in the team, and that applies to Jack as much as anyone else, so we agree on that.

I hope Jack comes back stronger than ever and merits his place in the starting line up.

What drives me to distraction is when, in my opinion, he is played for the sake of being played in positions that do not suit him all for the sake off keeping him happy.

It is an interesting suggestion that there may not be space for Wilshere in the starting line up when he returns.

The other conundrum as I see it is how on earth is the club going to keep Wallcott, Chamberlain and Gnabry happy, all three players are only going to get a chance to play out wide right.

34. arnie says:

IMO, The Ox and Gnabry are viewed by Arsene as developing players, so is Jack. Hence they will be played in different positions. This is Arsene’s style, like it or not. They should be mentally prepared to take up any position that is available.

It’s so funny reading comments about how are we going to keep all these players happy….they play when they’re fit…we get enough injuries that not many sit on the bench fully for for long :)

No but really it proves the point I was making this morning, we have a good squad we all want depth and then if there is a sniff a player might not get a starting place we worry they’ll be off……and yet we expect a squad of depth. I think the words vicious circle comes to mind!

As for Jack he is now 22 (a year younger than Rambo) and probably had longer on the sidelines through injury. So much is expected because of the early displays alongside Cesc, Nasri and BSR.

Now let’s take a little glimpse into a future Arsenal midfield…..

Theo, Ozil, Rambo, Oz and Jack.

Tasty! Theo and Ozil are 25, Jack 22, Rambo 23 and Ox 20.

We won’t need to buy a midfielder or have attacking fullbacks for quite some time :D

Honestly what is the current market value of that lineup?

Ozil £42m, Rambo £35m (conservatively), Theo £30m, Jack £30m (conservatively), Ox £25m.

Total £162m ….. Not bad really when you consider that four come under home grown rules.

GIE

If the injury rate continues as it has this season then I certainly agree that every player in the squad will be needed.

But it is not beyond the realms of imagination that Walcott and Chamberlain between them could stay fit for a whole season. This is a possibility I reckon that has not been missed by Gnabry, if you were he would you still see the conundrum I suggest as being funny?

37. arnie says:

GiE: points well made. In your opinion, do we need a midfield enforcer?

arnie

I still maintain a winning team is built first and foremost on a solid defence including keeper, that play as a unit,the rest follows naturally.

If anything we are overloaded in midfield and light in other positions.

It is more than likely Fabianski will leave,there are doubts about Vermaelen and Sagna and possibly Podolski and even though others are going who haven’t really featured we need at least three players.

Ideally I would like to see Jenkinson go out on loan and Sanogo but in all likelyhood AW will keep them in the squad, if he’s still in charge :)

39. arnie says:

Kelsey: I have no disagreement with that. :)

Senior players may indeed choose to leave if they view themselves as surplus to requirements. Juniour players who are still developing will stay and learn their trade. In Arsenal, they will get chances to play. In rotation, yes, and in different positions, because that is how they develop as a player.

LB: Therefore, Theo is fixed in right wing. But The Ox, Gnabry and even Jack will rotate positions, left midfield, DM, right midfield and sometimes even centrally.

If instead they prefer to go to another good side, they will not get a chance at all. If their development requires a loan, Arsene will organise that (agreed Kelsey :) ). Hence, I do not see a problem.

If on the other hand, we buy a top midfield player then it is different.

Wise words, Kelsey, :-)

— “a winning team is built first and foremost on a solid defence including the keeper, that play as a unit,the rest follows naturally.”

Arnie put a proper back four behind that five with no need to join in the attack maybe no need for an enforcer. I reckon that five could execute a very good high press.

LB haven’t you been listening to Micky? Gnabry is our new centre forward. :D

Actually could really see us playing a false 9 if you add Gnabry into the mix. Front three of Ozil, Theo and Gnabry, mid three of Jack, Rambo and Ox.

I’m still drooling :D

The internet is awash with rumours that Moist has been sacked …. I do hope not :?

arnie,

— ‘Theo is fixed in right wing. But The Ox, Gnabry and even Jack will rotate positions’ — seriously?

We appear to have agreed earlier that no player has an automatic right to a team position.

Theo was not in the team at the beginning of the season, but kept the bench warm.

I am not a great fan of Theo, and I am therefore hoping that AW buys a tricky fast winger to compete with him or to play on the opposite wing — and anyway, although Wenger sees the long term future of the Ox is in midfield, he brings a lot of pace and power to the wing position when he is played there.

Fitness and form are the main prerequisites to get in the team.

44. Norfolk Gooner says:

I hate to say this, but could Wilshire be the next Diaby? Lots of skill but injury prone in the extreme.

RA, “Over the weekend, Wenger was widely reported as saying Jack will be in peak condition for England at the World Cup, so he does not seem to have any worries about him.” He also said Wilshire is due to start jogging this week, by my reckoning that means ready to play in three weeks, barring set backs, so a place on the Cup Final bench is the best he can hope for, but will Hodgson select him for Brazil? He’s already said he won’t take any players who are not fully fit.

I doubt if we will see much of Jack before the pre-season games and, from an Arsenal point of view, that’s no bad thing.

45. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp, Daniel Levy is speeding north to sign Moist as Sherwood’s replacement. :D

Aha NG, now that would be good news. The spuds fear that van Gaal will go to the mancs instead of them this summer – so there’ll still be plenty to make us happy :lol:

Quick, someone write a post on this …. peaches has just reminded me that the rumours about Cesc leaving Barca in the summer are gaining momentum (obviously dependent on them overturning the transfer ban).

Do we have a buy back clause? Would we still want him?

Cesc to the mancs ….. no, no, noooooooooo

Pretty sure Moist will be gone within 24 hours. Most probably working out compensation as United’s season is effectively over.

What bugs me is that we only took a point off them.

50. arnie says:

Redders, you may be right. My impression is that Theo’s position is fixed, if selected, but not his selection. There is probably enough competition within the team. A pacy left winger, yes please. :)

51. Norfolk Gooner says:

Cesc to United? Why would he? Just a vague chance of a Europa League place, only God knows who the manager will be and Old Rednose lurking in the background.

Oh yeah of course! Money!!!

Rasp

Barca most probably haven’t even paid half his fee as yet. Quite feasable he could come back as we are a bit short of midfielders :)

53. arnie says:

Kelsey. “What bugs me is that we only took a point off them.” :sad: Yes, that is what I was thinking during the game yesterday. But mum’s the word. I will not discuss our current team until the end of the season.

I think Moist was a wrong choice for ManUre (good for us :) ). But if he is sacked it is bad news as well. Is there to be no team within the EPL, other than Arsenal, that shows some class. Well, Everton and maybe Liverpool. But this is still sad. If the older clubs do not uphold traditions then who will! :sad:

54. Bayonne Jean says:

Prior to this match, was of the opinion that TPIG2 would be between the posts for Wembley, for all the reasons that have been cited, particularly for his performance between the posts in the semifinal shootout. Also thought that AW would be supportive and reward Fab by starting him in the final.

But…in addition to all the reasons that have been given for playing TPIG1 in the final, Szczesny’s performance yesterday, against the same side you’ll face in Wembley, is a tipping point. Against Hull, you not only need to be strong between the posts, but also everywhere in the area. To me, Chezza had his best game of the season yesterday. Hull’s only real hope in the final is to attack aerially, especially without its two strikers, and TPIG1 is the horse best suited for that course.

It’s if SAF planned the whole thing so that he bowed out in glory and then let the team fall in the shite. It’s all about him.

Bayonne Jean

Yet again a very good and logical opinion put forward.However AW doesn’t always do what may seem logical to many. I hadn’t thought it that way,but don’t be surprised if Fab gets the nod.

I wish you commented more.

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

Seriously though, Fabregas won’t make any move until the manager situations at both Barca and Manure are settled.

The Spanish club are almost certain to sack Gerardo Martino, and he’s the guy who has said they will listen to offers for Fabregas. A new manager might well see Fabregas as the natural heir to Xavi or Iniesta who are both approaching the end of their careers.

Cesc back to Arsenal? No! We have greater priorities, namely a striker and a truly defensive mid-fielder.

Norfolk,

Arsene is notorious for giving well intentioned injury updates which turn out to be months out from the actual return, so his comments about Jack need to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.

I am sure many of us wonder whether Jack’s career is going to be plagued by injuries. Does he have a genetic problem, or is it all the hacking at his ankles that the referees allow? Who knows?

If you recall, Theo went through a similar bout on the sidelines with first one shoulder injury then the other. Then he had more than one hamstring injury and so on — and now he is out again, until next season – genetic? Medical incompetence?

And no – I personally do not think it is Wenger’s or the medical staff’s fault, in case anyone asks me. :-)

59. arnie says:

Bayonne Jean, Kelsey: Dont agree. Fabianski is our cup team keeper. He has performed well in this role. Unless there is a strong reason to replace him, he should play. It is about fairness to the player.

Likewise, I am happy that our young boys fought and lost to Chavs in the Mickey Mouse Cup. I would not like to see first team players in that team beyond what is required to protect teh young guys from merceneries.

Ah well! If we manage to lose the FA Cup final? Well, then, so be it. There are certain things which are bigger than trophies.

But this is just my opinion. :)

RA

I agree with that and I wouldn’t put it more than 50-50 that Jack even goes to Brazil.

With Theo it was found his original shoulder injury was genetic,from his father.

Actually if you read it again arnie, you do agree with me :)

If Fabianski was staying I would understand though not agree with him playing in the Final – but he is not — and he should not.

Football is both a business and entertainment and those two things are not mutually exclusive. But the business needs a trophy win to generate more sponsorship funding – to help more trophy wins.

The hard headed, non-sentimental decision is nothing new and many a player’s heart has been broken over the years, so for the reasons Bayern has given as well as looking to the future with Szczeney, we need to play TPIG1 in goal.

But as kelsey has said, you cannot predict M. Wenger and Flappy might still make his swan song appearance, but heaven forbid if he screws up and we lose …………… BOOOM!!!!

63. arnie says:

Kelsey. :) I am disappointed to have too many agreements over the past few days. I tried hard for once, alas! :)

64. arnie says:

So be it, Redders, principles are principles. We have a cup team and they have right of first refusal to play. Ah, if he was injured, that is another matter then. BTW, how do we know Fabianski will leave in the summer? Has he said he is unhappy at Arsenal? Is he unhappy to compete for a place with Szcz? Has he not got chances to play?

Arsene is very fair to our players. And this is why we pull our weight above our financial investments into the team. That is the Arsene way, that is the Arsenal way. Long may it continue.

65. arnie says:

OK, Redders the saviour! :)

Oh, arnie, you old romantic.

Being ‘fair’ to Fabianski has nothing to do with it. What is ‘fair’ to the team and the club in both the long and the short term is what matters.

Next season TPIG2 might well be playing for the Spuds or the Chavs and would not give a monkeys about us.

If we lost the FA Cup because of a goalkeeping error by TPIG2, then your comment “There are certain things which are bigger than trophies” could not be more wrong.

Arsene and Arsenal are desperate for a trophy after such a barren spell, as at least 50% of the irate fan base keep telling us, and at the moment nothing is bigger than that psychologically just to let the club move forward.

67. Norfolk Gooner says:

BJ and Arnie, Why are we even talking about which ‘keeper should play in the Cup Final? We have upcoming games against Newcastle, West Brom and mighty Norwich, all of them in their way are “cup finals”.

68. arnie says:

Redders. Well, we have to live with our differences then. This cup team earned victories against Everton and Liverpool. Now who are we to claim it would be better to play Szcz. Perhaps playing Szcz was a better option all along.

IMO, we make a big mistake by thinking some of our players paly be Gooners as well. We fans and this attitude are partly responsible for the fact that we do not have a Gerrard playing in our team.

The cup team is teh cup team. They have earned their place in teh final. They should have the previlege to play. Principles, my dear Redders, principles!

Old romantic fart? so be it! :)

arnie,

It isn’t that I am voicing a different opinion to you for the sake of it, in fact I admire your Corinthian spirit, but it is so far divorced from the realities of professional sport, in this case football, that I am having some difficulty believing you are serious.

Just look around you at the sharp practice on the playing fields with all the diving, swearing and downright cheating from the players you are suggesting should be treated fairly. Look at the way clubs buy and dispose of players as it suits them, and the same thing with managers (as Moist seems to be about to find out).

Fairness? Phooeey!

That concept has never come into professional sport and never will.
    The days of the Corinthians has been consigned to the dustbin of history. And more the pity.

70. arnie says:

Norfolk: agreed. first things first. :)

Can someone help me here? Has anyone seen anything in Sanogo that gives the impression that he has what it takes to become a top striker worthy of a place in our starting line up?

Gnabry as a CF, doh, of course, why didn’t I think of that?

That is funny.

It’s the way of the blogs, Norfolk, they/we are not known for structured discussion and we blow whichever way the proverbial social discourse takes us.

Gorgeous long legged women would be my preferred subject matter – but that does not seem likely at the moment! :-)

74. arnie says:

Cockie. Is that a disagreement? :)

75. Norfolk Gooner says:

LB @4.54, NO!

76. arnie….after a long thought out process, that was my short answer to LB !. hahaha

77. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, blonde or brunette? :D

78. Any more questions where I can just say……..Yes or No ?. hahaha

Hi LB, quote “Sanogo was France U-20 manager Pierre Mankowski’s top scorer during their U-20 World Cup triumph”.

I think he may turn the corner when he gets his first couple of goals. He’s big, powerful, has a few tricks and is quick – so it is possible he could become a top striker.

I’m baffled though, neither he or Giroud are the sort of strikers I would have expected AW to want spearheading his attack?

80. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’d rather see Sanogo go out on loan and Joel Campbell come back from Olympiakos. Even so we still need to by a top striker.

81. Now if Brendon Rodgers was our manager, this imo would be Arsenal`s attack !
    Ox, Theo and Gnabry…….reason is obvious, but I will give my opinion. He got rid of Liverpool`s most expensive player in Carroll, so he would not use a Giroud type player and the nearest imo to his current SSS 3……quick skilful players is the one`s I have mentioned !. Simples….Cockie In !.

Yep, I see what you mean, he certainly isn’t what I would have expected Wenger to go for. I can only assume that the kind of players Wenger would have ideally wanted were not available and so he had to go for something and Giroud and Sanogo were available so he had to act.

Back to Sanogo, I am trying to keep an open mind until he has scored a couple of goals; that, as you suggest, might change a lot of things.

Anelka and Henry were very slow starters both of which as we both know turned out to be rather successful so I suppose for those two alone Wenger still has a lot of credit.

83. No more questions for at least 40 mins please, as I`m going on the treadmill, so Redders can carry on playing his Banjo whilst he contemplates making love to his cousin !. hahaha

arnie,

I did not refer to you as an ‘old romantic fart’. Certainly the words ‘old’ and ‘fart’ never graced my keyboard when chatting with you, and you have in any case misconstrued the meaning of the use of the word ‘romantic’.

I was simply using it in the context, not of you being romantic as in a Romeo-esque way, but in the way the word is used to describe ‘romantic impressionism’ in art and music, and you may need to look it up to understand the meaning.

You are a very amiable man, arnie, but what I was implying was that in this connection you are living in an idealistic world of your own making that is lacking in awareness of the real world around you.

Therefore please be careful not to impugn my principles, or lack of them – for that road leads to perdition and would be most unfortunate, as I am very proud of my integrity and honesty and will respond in kind, if necessary.

Cookie

I think Liverpool are going to try and turn the tables on us in the summer and try to tempt Theo away.

Have you been spying on us, Cockie? :-)

And where are the pies you promised me and Terry?

I think Sanogo needs a goal and then they could start flying in, seems to me me he maybe a streak/confidence striker. Watching his highlight reels of say plenty, watching him for us so far not so much. Altho rewind 12-18 months and many would have said the same about Rambo.

He is a perfectionist in air shots :) Maybe he is part of a cunning plan .

89. arnie says:

Redders. No you did not! And neither did I claim so. And principles are about the club, not you or me! But also if you think I am being idealistic, let us wait just a few days. May 17 is not far off! Do you seriously think Arsene will start with Szcz with Fab on the bench? I suspect not.

Whether I am “living in an idealistic world of your own making that is lacking in awareness of the real world around you”. We will see. Not long to wait, then! :)

There is a chance that AW might start Sanogo in the FA Cup final?

91. arnie says:

Yes, there is a chance, Rasp.

About Fabregas. I thought Barca have been banned from buying or selling for 14 months.

Why would MU buy him? They have just bought Mata and already have difficulty playing him alongside Rooney. Why buy another attacking MF?

I hope Fabianski plays in the FAC Final, he deserves it.

Moist In.

I expect it another ruse from Paddy Power to get people to bet on his removal.

BR,

The word on the street is that Barca have appealed the transfer ban and that it is likely to be reduced from a two window to a one transfer window ban.

It is not clear which window the ban applies to, and if Barca take it to CAS it could take anything up to a year to get resolved.

Anyway, apparently it was Moist who wanted Cesc, and the new guy will have his own ideas.

I am not sure that Cesc will leave Barca – it all seems like speculation as it is allegedly the current manager who said Cesc can go, but he seems to be a dead man walking, and the new guy may have very different views about DNA Fabregas.

Well, first up, has to be a nod to Crystals aka Kelsey Out :-)

With your balls now fully operational, you could get cracking right this minute with next weeks Review. Sterling work today. Thank you.

Now to deal with the rest of you. What a load of old tosh. Jeepers, am I the only one who knows anything about football tactics bollocks?

First in my sights is Exile.
    Look here young man, never have I suggested Herr Gnabry takes up the striking role. Theo, yes, Gnabry never. Which brings me on to the Ox, Theo and Gnabry fighting over the same position.

Look where Ox has played this term. Everywhere nearly, and with Theo poised to make a go at CF, that’s that conundrum sorted (whether it works, we’ll see).

Good teams are built on sound defences. Oh crikey. What, like Liverpool? Pants defence. A great team has great players everywhere, the rest is a series of compromises. Talking of Pool, I suggested two years ago buying Gerrard and playing him as a DM. Nothing. Not one “Oh Micky Dear, what a great idea”.

This is fun, and I haven’t started on Jack, Sanogo et al.

Ooo, Oooo, More.

First comment ofrom Nicholas regarding our attempt at buying Suarez:
    “Nevertheless, it showed we *were* and therefore still are, in the market for a striker.”

Err, no it doesn’t. It proves we interested in Suarez.

And this: “We only ended up with Ozil out of pure luck”. Eh? Arsene spent £42M by mistake :-) How luck. The fact that the Bale transfer to Madrid was the most nailed on move of the window, and was always going to be last minute, meant that Mesut was always going to be last minute minus 30 seconds :-)

Micky I’ll be honest and say I took a punt that you may have suggested it…..you do seem to favour the pacy forward so figured you may have.

On the Fab1 vs Szczesny for FAC final I’ll go Fab1….something about his performances in the FAC so far tell me he wants to leave the club on a high. Szczesny is an Arsenal man, he has said at much in interviews that it feels like home to him, for that reason I reckon he’ll be cheering from the sideline.

We got into Wembley for semi final as Szczesny was having a workout with Payton, Gary not Tim. And when Fab1 came on for his warm up Szczesny led the applause. For me shows some humility and team spirit that we often don’t see during the games.

Exile

I’ll think of something I can punt in your direction :-)

Now, thinks, what was it you said about Arsene :-)

Micky, Micky, Micky,

I do not know why you even raised the question, “am I the only one who knows anything about football tactics bollocks?”

You are undoubtedly the master of talking football bollocks, tactical or otherwise.

Your latest football bollix is right up there with the best bollix going and is second only to Kelsey Out’s musings. :-)

Lovely.

RA

What a well mannered chap you are, and perceptive with it :-)

Actually, I’m going easy on Kelsey Out, given his new found connections with the divine. Ball Readers tend to do spells and shit :-)

“We only ended up with Ozil out of pure luck”.

Just when you thought Arsenal supporters couldn’t get more ridiculous they come up with this one.

It truly beggars belief.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how did I end up supporting the same club as these people?

or maybe I should say how did they end up supporting the same club as me.

Hey LB

Yip, that one rattled me, but it still comes some distance behind “Arsene only signed Mesut due to fan pressure”.

That’s a cracker you must admit :-)

That’s better. They followed you when the team got winning.

I do not have any doubts about Monsieur Wenger staying, just slightly puzzled as to why he has not gone public yet.

You see, the preliminary transfer negotiations will already be underway, and the reason that Moist is being shown the door now is because the Glazers do not want to waste everyone’s time with transfers that a new manager might not want.

The same with Arsene, he would not want to commit a new Arsenal manager to players he might not want. Ipso facto, he will be staying.

I have tipped off Sky News who told me to fcuk off, because they want to string the ‘Arsene Out’ story a bit longer – but wait and see, and eventually the strap line will come up with ‘Sources say Wenger will sign’ and now you know it was me what dun it. :-)

I deserve a fag break.

Blimey Micky, you’re on form!

Top crystallizing Kelsey.

I see how you two took that sentence about ‘Ozil – luck’ and were discommoded. :-)

When I read the comment I let it go, because as Micky said a short time ago — we signed him (Ozil) at the last minute of the transfer window – minus 30 seconds.
    Hence I assumed he meant we were lucky that we just had time.

Micky Out. :-)

RA

I suppose the most obvious time to announce that Wenger will stay is after we win the FA Cup. If we don’t then the club are going to have to find a way of sliding it under the carpet at some point.

I certainly agree with you that it has already been decided.

Gadzooks, the prodigal Media Mogul has returned!!

How are you mighty scribe? Well I trust? :-)

RA

That Ozil comment has been doing the rounds for a while now. It is quite funny really.

“Micky Out”

Haaa, the Didit is firmly wedged in. Shall not be moved :-)

Must dash.

115. ai-zed says:

sorry if this comment is coming bit late, I would think that a good DM (big, strong, technical) would be the priority, any defensive transfers would be dependent on outgoings (TV05, fab, sagna?), if Campbell returns I see wenger not getting a winger ( cos Campbell is obviously) if not, then a good, TRICKY winger should be brought in….. as for the striker position…….I still think with a fit support cast (fantasy?) that our HFB could be enough so the cries for a WC striker………well……but seeing as wenger was interested in Count Luis we’ll have to simply wait & see…..but pace is critical, one hold up striker is more than enough, one because yaya should be loaned out ideally (for me anyway)

Hello Redders :)

Now if you insist on referring to me as a “Media Mogul” I will have to refer your comments to M’Learned Friend Mr Two-and-Sixpence.

It’s “Media Molehill” as you well know.

You Colonials are so mischievous.

LB,

Touching on your earlier comment about Gnabry, he certainly has the robust physique, pace and goal scoring aptitude to be our CF (fox in the box) type of player.

My concern is that the German clubs have allegedly been sniffing around him, and he might become disillusioned with all the talk of yet another forward being linked with us, and allow his head to be turned.

I think he could be very exciting and it is a pity that he has been injured quite a lot lately. This could have been his chance to come on as a sub and show what he can do.

Anyway, I am probably worrying about nothing. :-)

ai-zed
    Interesting point.
    I haven’t seen too many people dispute the idea that we need a “world class striker” but you make a good case.

Certainly Ollie looked a far better player with willing runners around him.

Sounds like a good idea for a headline post if you ask me…

Well, Rocket, Two and Six has done a runner lately too, and left me with only poor old arnie to argue with, and he is far too nice! :-)

LB,

If the Ozil transfer has been described as ‘lucky’ in any way other than managing to complete the paperwork in the short time available, then it is too ridiculous to give it any credence.

Like you, I have become disillusioned with many of the people who call themselves Gooners, and have stopped describing myself as such, whenever football is discussed outside the blogs. :-(

apparently I’m not dashing until eight, soooo ra, you want an argument?

the one minute, of five minute? :-)

(as the Cockie one would say) :-)

evening rocky

hope all’s well in the land of snowy peaks.

that’s not an answer.

By the way anyone thing the purse strings will be unlocked for new managers at OT?

Judging by the level of return they need to finance the Debt of buying the club I think the Glaziers may well be waving goodbye to their investment soon, as surely like ours sponsorship deals are based on performance.

Interestingly the 2012/13 Accounts show their minimum requirements on field (I guess they have to because of PLC rules although not sure):

Team Performance:

Minimum 3rd place finish in EPL
    Last 16 of Champions League
    Last 8 of domestic cup competitions

So that was the minimum for Fergie’s last season……marked by that Moyes has achieved 2 (CL and Capital One Cup).

OK, then.

I am sure that Arsene will do his first transfer business before the World Cup. What do you make of them apples?? :-)

fragrant candles

Loved the vid, Micky. :-)

Now I have to go.

Nite Micky, Nite Exile, Nite LB, Nite Media Molehill – à demain. “-)

Good teams are built on sound defences. Oh crikey. What, like Liverpool?

Well there is no argument there,Micky which shows what a crazy season it’s been.

Take away our injuries to key personal and the mere 20 goals we shipped in 4 games, the title would have been ours :)

And yes – it is. Don’t argue!

Before Qatar, RA :) You been looking at my balls.

How dare you, Kelsey?

You said it – I agreed with you – now at the faintest nudge by that argumentative Micky you cave. What’s that all about? :-)

Oh – and Nite Kelsey out. :-)

ooops, the dashing begins. till tomorrow.

Kelsey, you’re back in. for now :-)

You are a wicked, wicked boy, Kelsey! Quatar indeed – and I thought I was looking at baloons!! :-)

Definitely gone now – I am getting the ‘look’. :-)

136. arnie says:

Chas: thanks, I missed your 12:31 earlier, for which I blame Redders. :)

137. njstone9 says:

The Özil transfer WAS luck.

It was also well known that Spurs were trying to delay the Bale transfer long enough for us to run out of time to sign Özil. That eventuality could easily, very easily have panned out and we’d have ended up with nothing.

An attacking creative midfielder was not our priority last summer. Cazorla had been our best player the season before playing in that position.

Don’t get me wrong: I love Özil and I’m delighted we’ve got him but I’m very confident we’d be at the top of the league had we got Suarez instead, say for an extra 10m. 50m+ was what Rogers initially said we’d have to pay to get him.

Rather than take me for a doomer or anti Wenger type, you could instead address the nub of my argument which is that this summer I want us to identify a target, then go straight out and buy him, rather than be at the mercy of other parties.

We shouldn’t have to be leaving it till transfer deadline minus 10 seconds to secure signings. The players don’t get time to bed in, the fans (and existing players) get stressed, and the whole process is one step away from transfer falling through too late to secure a replacement. For example, Demba Ba.

So don’t tell me that we weren’t and aren’t in the market for a striker.

Perhaps the photographer could have directed who sat where…. :)

Love the MP vid – not seen it for 25+ years.

ai-zed must have read the post I wrote yesterday which is sitting in the loading bay!

Moyes In. Micky Out

142. arnie says:

Motning all.

GiE: I havent stopped laughing since I saw that pic. :) :) :)

Chas: great stuff. :)

143. arnie says:

Is it Rocky day today? :)

hi Nicholas

on ozil. who actually knows what went on? for example, perhaps arsenal had spoken to Madrid and agreed the deal would be done however late the bale transfer went through. I just find it impossible to believe that arsene would splash that kind of money lightly.

whether an ozil type was the priority, then I could see that argument, but I don’t believe it could ever be a mistake to sign someone of his quality, as apart from anything else it could be seen as a catalyst to luring a top striker.

talking of suarez/ba, I did say that I agreed arsene was in for a tp striker, what I also said was that that was last window, and I don’t think it necessarily follows that it still applies. in arsene’s eyes. who knows, a season later he may decide he has what he needs in Ollie and yaya.

personally, and I didn’t mention my own thoughts, I believe we are crying out for a top quality speedy striker.

apols for my knackered caps lock. they come and they go:-(

The final shot of AW hugging Fabianski – how can he possibly leave him out for the final?

From an interview with Rami Shabaan………

What was it like to be coached by Wenger? What was he like as a manager?

He made you feel like you were the most important part of the team to every player, even the substitutes. He relied on your abilities. I think I felt so good because when I played, he never doubted any player or me he put on the pitch and that’s his biggest strength and keeping the team together.

148. White Bear says:

Moist is gone :( I really feel for him

149. White Bear says:

raddy – what makes you think Fabianski will not play in the final? That cannot happen, the place is his, he earned it

WB. I agree. What makes you think I think that Fabianski will not play in the final?

So much for the #moistin campaign lol I’ll be upset if they get Klopp now to replace him :(

152. Love the tweet at 7.36 :)

Bugger. He’s gone …. Moyes Back

154. We have a Rocky post for today and Raddy has one waiting in the cupboard. How do we all feel about honouring dandan by using his first ever post again on Thursday? It’s a very enjoyable read.

Other than that, we’ll need to have posts for saturday and sunday as we’re not playing until Monday night.

Can only do certain capital letters typing with one hand …….. :)

155. arnie says:

yes, Peaches, the Dandan post on Thursday please.

very sad about Moyes. We will Walk Alone …… :)

how about dandan’s on Friday, as that is the day of his funeral. I think.

Moyes for Tottenham.

Moyes IN :-)

We shouldn’t give up all hope on Moyes just yet…..Tottenham are still dumb enough to give him a job.

Damn you MIcky

I thought I was going to be the first with that joke……lol

160. the funeral is on thursday

Oi.

Who amended my comment at 7:57 to Kelsey re his crystal balls, and amended ‘currants’ to ‘baloons’?

Oh, hang on – it’s misspelled – got to be you Madame Kels!! :-)

Kelsey OUT

Oh, and Micky NOT SURE – NOT SURE

163. New Post everyone ……………………

164. […] Kelsey on ArsenalArsenal recapping the game: “All in all it was a pleasing performance and still kept us on track for CL [UEFA Champions League] qualification yet the main talking point was how much we had missed the Welsh Wizard who considering his long lay off really made a huge difference to our attacking options.” […]