Arsenal Have Max’d Out With Giroud

I think it is incredible just how much we have been able to achieve this season with a striker like Giroud.

1I remember describing him as a French Andy Carroll without a pony tail: good in the air, slow on the ground and a poor first touch, then Carroll got the pony tail cut off…..hmmmmmm.

Ok perhaps a bit cruel especially when you consider that there is a genuine difference (sic) in the fact that Carroll is always injured and Giroud looks like he is going to go the whole season without a major injury.

I think it is this fact above all that has allowed us to punch above our weight in the striker department this season, although, to be a tad more fair to Giroud he has used his limited talents very well.

But there is an obvious difference between us and Liverpool, the team that is looking most likely to win the league, which is that Brenda purposely got rid of Andy Carroll ensuring that they couldn’t play the long ball game with all its limiting consequences that we are so often shackled to; the sale forced them to use the quick passing interplay that their present forwards do so well.

This is not a subtle dig at Wenger; I am convinced that he, above all, would have liked to have changed things, best demonstrated by the attempt to buy Suarez. And on that note don’t you find it irritatingly childish when Arsenal supporters say: well, why didn’t he go and buy someone else when it became clear that Liverpool were not going to sell, as though you can go into Tescos and just pick up one or two strikers at you convenience!

There has been a lot of talk recently about the aborted Suarez purchase attempt so I might as well add my tuppence worth.

Was there a buy out clause?

Of course we will never know the truth but on balance the chances are surely high. This is very common practice in Spain and so I am guessing that this also applies throughout the Hispanic world of football. I think the other significant reason it that there is no way that when Suarez arrived at Liverpool that he saw it as his last stop up football’s slippery ladder. His ultimate goal is Real Madrid and that being the case a buy out clause was even more likely.

Suarez may have a genuine chance of getting his dream move at the end of this season but he certainly didn’t at the end of last. We are talking about a man whose press was so bad that he was making Joey Barton look likable. Having bitten a chunk out of a chav’s arm, being banned for umpteen games, it is fair bet that the man thought long and hard about moving on.

Enter the enterprising Arsenal waving Champions League football around. I am sure that the club knew about the buy out clause and made their intentions known to Suarez by triggering it – 40mil and one pound, that is not exactly a shabby opening bid.

This was the point when Liverpool had to decide whether they wanted to sell him or not. If they did they could have named their price – but I am convinced they didn’t. Liverpool went into overdrive to try and keep him, excluding CL football they were in a position to be able to offer him any deal that Arsenal put forward and more, indeed Liverpool renewed his contract a few weeks after it become clear that we were not going to be successful.

It was not a lack of trying, it was not a reluctance to offer more money, the reality was that Liverpool didn’t want to sell and they could offer him as much if not more wages than we could.

So we were forced to start the season with Giroud, Sanogo and Bendtner. We could have brought some sub standard striker but if the purchase of Ozil has shown us anything is that we have moved on from that way of doing things. We are a club that will push the boat out if a player wants to come to THOF. There is nothing wrong in picking up a cheap filler here and there à la Flamini and Kallstrom when the Real McCoy is not available but when it is we will act.

I have read recently people making comparisons with RvP and Suarez in as much that it appeared that manu were able to force us to sell but we were not able to do the same. I don’t agree with this at all. Without having our whole future balanced on one man’s shoulders, namely a Sugar Daddy, we have to operate within sensible commercial constraints. A five year deal for RvP, at his age was an offer he couldn’t refuse and as we all know when that deal was tabled he did everything he could to get away. The club tried its hardest to sign Suarez but what could we have offered that would have made him want to come to us rather than stay where he was? Never mind about offering Liverpool more money they didn’t want to sell, I am talking about getting the Uruguayan on side first.

This brings me back to Giroud, I see nothing wrong with Kelsey’s cries that we need a new striker, I feel the same and the higher the calibre the better. The Suarez ship has sailed but with Ancelotti’s feet more securely under the table at Real Madrid he could decide to offload Benzema and buy the Uruguayan, I would be disappointed if we brought their Frenchman, for me he is too close to the one we already have but if this huge piece of wishful thinking does come about I would be content to pick up Morata.

Written by LB

197 Responses to Arsenal Have Max’d Out With Giroud

Thanks LB, I agree that Giroud has given all he can to the team and we could not ask any more from a player.

You may well be right in your speculation over the Suarez deal.

Here’s a question to everyone with a crystal ball……. on the assumption that there would have been a can’t ignore it price for Suarez, which would have been the better deal for Arsenal – £42m for Ozil or £65m for Suarez?

I’m a big fan of Ozil’s and am I’m glad he’s an Arsenal player – but I also think we would have won the Prem with Suarez up front.

Nice one LB. “Carrying on from my fine work yesterday”? I feel utterly trumped by your fine effort.

Now I know we don’t always agree on Jack LB but as I read this I find I pretty much agree with you on most other points. Your reference to just picking up strikers from Tescos reminds me of AW’s stance that, at this stage, he only wants to bring in players that are of the right calibre. There is no point at this stage with settling for second best and putting them on a 5 year contract.

I feel fairly certain that had the correct player been available for purchase in January he would have gone for it. They obviously weren’t so he didn’t. I further believe he likely tried for a loan deal with Morata but it didn’t happen. My gut feeling is we wanted a loan with option to buy and Madrid were reluctant. The option to buy would have been the right thing for me with a young promising striker and like you LB I wouldn’t say no to Morata arriving.

At times I look at Benzema and think “yeh you could be the one” but keep changing my mind. I have a nagging doubt that I can’t put my finger on, so my gut instinct says look elsewhere. The fellow from Nuremberg looks an interesting option from his stats and the litlle I have seen of him.

Otherwise AW could do what I said yesterday and convert the Ox into a striker, make him our new Aguero / Suarez. What’s that I hear you all say “your off your bloody rocker GoonerB”. Well I was maybe coming round to the same conclusion only to find that the great Bobby Pires has stepped up and said that the Ox could be converted into a great striker. Cue big smiles from me (and Mad Micky didit) and a great feeling of self righteousness. If Bobby said it is must be so.

Seriously though, and I know I am playing FFM here, but how about the lad from Nuremberg and then look to convert the Ox over the next season. We don’t really need him in CM midfield with the plethora of options we have there. I truly believe he has all the right physical and technical aspects to become a frightening front man, less in the slightly bigger European style of striker but more in the South American style of shorter stature but strong with good balance.

If the Ox is playing less as a CM or attacking wide player we could then make our big attacking buy Reus to add to our wide attacking options. Reus is the real deal for me. Always impressed when watching him and I often feel he runs the show for Dortmund and to boot his goal-scoring stats are high for the position he plays. The lad from Nuremberg, Reus, the Ox converted, and a powerful quick DM? Mmmm, salivating at the thought.

3. lance says:

if we had suarez we definately would have won the league. no disrespect to ozil but he was not the player we needed. but the worst part of this whole situation is that giroud makes our wizards in the midfield look average. to be brutally honest giroud is a disease that has killed of our title chances

4. mrglobeman says:

100 mill we need the best DIEGO COSTA don’t wait do it now.

I agree Rasp that in the here and now Suarez would have potentially won us the EPL this year so could be seen to have been the better option over Ozil. Looking ahead though I am pleased with Ozil. I think for his first season in the EPL he has done very well, and often with our team set-up not completely to his strengths.

Lest we forget how Bobby took time to become the great player for us that we now remember. TH14 took some time to adapt to his new role with us. Even god had a certain adaptation period, and the flavour of the season, Suarez, showed his raw quality when he came to the EPL but wasn’t as effective with his talent until recently. I also remember Utd fans saying Ronaldo couldn’t hit a barn door with a cow’s ar-e.

I can see Ozil kicking on over the next season or two to become a truly awesome player. I think Wenger and playing in the EPL will add new dimensions to his game. With a mobile striker ahead of him I think he will flourish more and I can see him strengthening (body wise) to cope with the EPL more and finally I see Wenger encouraging him to burst into the box more often and add goals to his game.

A bit harsh Lance. He is what he is and it is not his fault. I still think with the right types of players around him he gives a plan B option and he doesn’t hold back on putting in a shift. If there was one thing I would say to him it would be to get more nasty with the defenders rather than sitting on the floor so often looking victimised. Become a beast so that every EPL defender that faces you comes off bruised and battered. Soften them up more.

7. arnie says:

Great stuff, LB. Very thoughtful and thought provoking. :-) Not that I can add much by way of input, but here is my tuppence bit.

Yes, strikers are not vended in Tesco’s and yes good strikers at a reasonable price are a rare commodity. Therefore, a lot of preparation goes behind each attempt to buy. Hours of scouting, reporting, financial decisions on investment, informal and formal talks and finally an offer. We now know about some of these elaborate processes in Arsenal from the interview of one of the leading scouts.

Then, I have a question, still, and a wish.

The question is: if Suarez attempt was always low percentage for success but a statement of intent, what was Plan B? I raised this question earlier and had some partial responses, mainly saying there was no Plan B. Really? Or were we unsuccessful in all those attempts.

And now the wish. We know Arsene likes to surprise us by unanticipated buys of relatively unknown players. Giroud from Ligue 2, Rosicky when no one knew about him. But they knew soon because he scored a wonder goal in an international match. So, I hope along similar lines, we are perhaps in for a surprise in the World Cup!

We anticipate Draxler in any case. He is also an unknown. Hopefully there is a surprise lurking here as well. :-)

Morning GoonerB, I agree with all you say. If we had a fit Ramsey and Theo, both Ozil and Giroud would have looked better players because they would have been able to concentrate on doing what they do best.

Ozil is a vital piece in the jigsaw of the team we are looking to build and the style in which we wish to play. Unfortunately injuries to key players have denied us that model for the latter half of this season and that’s why we are where we are now.

9. White Bear says:

I’d like to hear anyone disagreeing with this! Solid logic, well said LB.

However, however…why are you saying that Liverpool could match everything that we offered Suarez? Turn the table round and say we could match everything that Pool had to offer plus CL, plus London. Why would LS choose LFC? Bizarre, still not clear

Giroud and Bendtner, and good looking Mexican, and Reyes and few others I forgot, all disappointed, but Giroud definitely less than others. He is a good lad, just not good enough finisher

Hi arnie, since we offered £40m +1 for Suarez and paid just over £40m for Ozil, isn’t it possible simply that £40m was all that was available to buy a player?

11. Shubham says:

You are absolutely right with the heading. It has struck me several times on how we have been punching above weight this season with our attack spearheaded by Giroud. He is so limited in his ability that I don’t think any title aspirant in the top 3-4 leagues would have him as their first choice striker. Slow on feet, unable to turn, no skills to beat a man, poor shooting, dreadful right foot, average first touch and heading ability. One can go on for long about the limitations. But on the positive side, he puts in a shift, uses his body well to hold up play and most importantly isn’t injured often. God only knows Wenger’s predicament to not buy a good striker in Jan. Whatever, it is now, I hope the team performs well in the remaining 8 games of the season (6 in the EPL & possibly 2 in the FA cup) and brings home a trophy. Next season will be big challenge for the management to reinforce the squad in practically all areas of the pitch.

12. arnie says:

yes, Rasp, maybe. that would be a remarkably small out lay for a big team, though. Even the likes of Newcastle may have larger outlays. Dont know though. :-)

13. peter tosh says:

Hahaa..desease?true bt wenger is nt creative anymore or mayb ignorant and goes on favouring his fellow countrymen!chamber can b a dangerous 4wad bt no chance 4 him there due to geyrud.akpom can pruv his worth bt sanogo(the overated frenchman is there)the arsenal jesey is big for them.vamaelen shld b utilise as a DM ‘D.Luiz’.sagna shld b a CB next season lacks pace and creativitx in his position..bt all we need much is 9,6,2 and depth(strong bench)

Thanks arnie. I have often called for Arsenal to speculate to accumulate = risk some money we don’t have (within reason) to give us the potential to make greater profit on the pitch and financially. It is just not the new Arsenal’s style.

The last time we speculated it was on the revenue we hoped to get from the Highbury Development and thanks to the crash in the housing market we got our fingers badly burnt. That was by far the single most important event in shaping our financial strategy for the last 8 years I believe.

I think the money we spent on Ozil was simply what we could afford without dipping into resources. It’s rumoured we have a bigger warchest this summer – but who knows?

15. Ant fewwwq says:

What the chance of him picking up a major injury next season,

16. Podge says:

Giroud has a fantastic first touch, sometimes looks a bit off when he is under serious pressure and fatigued.

@GoonerB I thought about the Ox as a striker for a long time he has great attributes for the role he kind of reminds me of Brazilian Ronaldo in his running style and build. However he has never shown much of a goal scoring instinct although that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Podge, the Ox strikes a ball well off both feet and has a powerful shot (see a clip from an under 21 training camp if you can). I think he has shown an eye for goal but as with any player that is played in a role that finds them not as often in the goal-scoring positions he will mis-cue some efforts. Not much different to TH14 and Suarez when they arrived here, and even Christiano Ronaldo (as he was developing). He needs to have some regular playing time in this position to hone his instincts for the role. If he does he could become a frightening prospect so it is well worth the effort to find out IMO.

Shubham, I don’t think we need as much surgery as some do. I hope we keep our back line as it is and retain both Sagna and Vermaelen. I would then hope to see the addition of a young promising CD that can be groomed to take over from the BFG eventually. One top class DM would do it for me in midfield and then it is onto the front line as we are discussing today.

Chas, come out come out wherever you are. You know when I mentioned seeing the clip of the Ox at the under 21 training camp it was aimed at you.

I have a question. Does anyone have the stats for penalties we have won this season, and maybe in the last 2 seasons? If so who has won those penalties? Two people pop up in my mind from recollection as being good at this, being the Ox and Gnabry. Gnabry has not been played much in the latter half of the season and the Ox recently has been generally operating too deep to be regularly running at opposition defenders.

21. JM says:

I look into the TW in summer 2012, when we got in Giroud and Podolski with Cazorla. We missed out on Mandzukic and Reus with Cazorla.

Bayern Munchen stole in on Mandzukic when they need a more potent frontman when they realised Gomez was inept in big occasions during their CL final vs Chelsea that year. Mandzukic was signed for £12million and he starred brightly for his new club and country (Croatia in Euro2012) since. (We had Giroud for £11million).

Dortmund came and recruited back their youth player, Reus. Then up and coming player for Germany, whose role model is Tomas Rosicky. Reus transferred for £17million and became a highly sought attacking winger/forward thereafter. (We had Podolski for £11million, reported he was also on or close to £100,000 p/w too, quite similar to Walcott and only below Ozil).

Mandzukic + Reus = £29million

Giroud + Podolski = £22million

Difference of £7 million, we get what we “bargained” for.

With Mandzukic, Reus, Cazorla and adding to Flamini and Ozil from last summer, we wouldn’t be having arguments about how missing out on Higuain & Suarez this season. We should have been No.1 contender for the PL champions.

So either of Arsene Wenger or Steve Rowley and his scouts or Ivan Gazidis, Richard Law and his negotiation team has been underperforming with their work in scouting and recruiting the best players for Arsenal FC.

If we are making our main man in Ozil to provide our ammunition, we need to give him (and source for) the right gun barrel(s) upfront. A couple of intelligent players who can read his intentions and run instinctively to the open pockets around the goal and penalty areas to have strikes on target where amateurs cannot see.

I would believe AW visioning our future and fluid midfield trio of Ramsey, Wilshere and The Ox. (Similar context in the axis of Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal for Juventus; Javi Martinez/Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Kroos/Thiago for Bayern), whereby all three players can and are capable of defending and attacking.

Ramsey ~ Pogba, Javi Martinez/Lahm
    Wilshere ~ Pirlo, Schweinsteiger
    The Ox ~ Vidal, Kroos/Thiago

With Ozil as an extra midfielder and part of the front three, Walcott in the inside forward/winger role and with the new forward/striker recruit.

(With possibly competent reserve strength from Gnabry, Zelalem, Sanogo). Of course, another high class combative midfielder to help up our midfield axis is most welcome too.

Haha, I don’t think I have ever had 4 in a row comments. Make it 5 unless someone has sneaked in in the 30 seconds it took to put this one up.

Damn you JM. It will take me years to get to 5 in a row now.

LB

So many points to mull over.

You
    know my feelings about Giroud. With regards to Sanogo….who knows, but the biggest pratt is Bedtner who could have been a first class striker for us.

The problem we have is that when we bedded younger players into the Invinsible team,such as Fabregas they were playing with seasoned internationals who had won trophies with Arsenal and had the winning mentality,we don’t have that now.
    Yes we have The Ox,RamseyWilshere,Gnabry,Sanogo who are all still very young in football terms and even Walcott isn’t the finished article as yet.

Ozil was practicaly a last minute buy,though I rate him highly but if you believe all you read he wasn’t first or second choice on our shopping list and only the Bale transfer allowed us to buy him.

We need a better blend of players old and young but first and foremost win the FA Cup this year as that would do wonders.
    Remember the 17 barren years, then we won The Fairs Cup, that gave belief and we went on to do the double the year after.

IMO we can play with a false number 9 but my reservations are that Wenger is to set in his ways to have an alternative set up against certain teams who now how to outwit him. If only he had a better coaching team around him and a better network of scouts.
    I don’t want to keep hearing (usually a year or two later) that we nearly bought so and so e.g. Yaya Toure.

25. wilson says:

For Heavenly sake , let the guy go back to France

I get the impression that some readers are not fully understanding the post – it’s not about whether Giroud should go or stay (most level headed supporters think he should stay as part of the squad).

27. arnie says:

GoonerB: it could have been 6 in a row. :-) can moderators edit and put JM’s comment below or above your’s? :razz: It seems JM might have been composing his detailed thoughts for 15 mins or more, though! :-)

28. peter tosh says:

France wil call Geyrud to hold the play 4 them?..lol
    Again in i wil ask my little bro what he wants to b when he grows up,and am sure he wount change the dream”I WANT TO BE ARSENALS MANAGER”

Your last paragraph (@11.30) strikes a chord Kelsey. It brings the subject of tactics and tactical flexibility back up again. You know my feelings on this subject that I don’t feel we pay enough attention to it at times.

Arsene has always been the master of identifying young talent and the coaching of it into world class status. He has also been the master of spotting a player operating in position A and redefining them into an even better player in position B, e.g Henry.

Apparently Yaya has said that AW wanted to make him a striker. I can see why that would have been a possibility, and I don’t think it was why he didn’t join us, i.e turned us down because of it. I was always under the impression it was a work permit thing otherwise we would have brought him in.

Similarly reports stated that Vertonghen was looking to join us but Arsene told him he wanted him as a DM, which Vertonghen didn’t want and so turned us down and joined Spuds instead. Is this true or not ? Who knows but again I can actually see the merit of Vertonghen as a DM..

The last few seasons I have been a bit more baffled by some decisions on where and how to play certain players. I can understand that sometimes it is a case of improving the all round development of a certain player in the Ajax total football type way, but similarly there do seem to be some square pegs in round holes situations from how I see it.

Regarding the coaching set-up, my question is who chooses the set-up in the first place? Is it done over and above the managers head or does he get final say in it? If it is deficient then where does the responsibility lie with this? I would have thought that any coaching set-up would have to sit comfortably with the manager so would largely be shaped as he sees fit. Then the question is does that manager want coaches who will challenge him and whom he can defer responsibility to, or do they have to follow a strict coaching plan that the manager decides upon solely?

I honestly don’t know enough about our scouting set up to know how good it is Kelsey. I don’t know if the hard evidence is out there to indicate that other teams have a better scouting set-up than us. I would suggest that there are two elements to it though.

Firstly the identifying of the talent before your rivals and getting the jump on them and secondly the securing of the player. In actual fact the cases of Yaya, Christiano Ronaldo and even Hazard (who AW seemed to try and secure 4 seasons or so ago) would seem to suggest that we are still right up there withe identifying aspect. We can’t spot every young potential world class player before every other team obviously.

For me it would suggest that it is in securing these players where the problems arise. There could be a number of factors that thwart us here, not least our recent years of austerity, but also maybe just because the player doesn’t fancy the move at that time and when they do mature enough to fancy it that every other bugger with gazillions of oil money behind them is after them as well.

Very logical post LB.

When I read the headline I thought – oh no here we go another shot at poor old Giroud. But in fact it was a well balanced set of thoughts, net net Giroud needs help. I still maintain that he had all the help he needed until they all made their way to the sick bay.

It boggles the mind to think of what might have been – the speed of Walcott combined with the work rate of Giroud and the elusive Suarez -

You must have a really slow day in the office GB?

There you go GB 5 in a row.

Morning GN5, the headline was of my doing. The original headline would not have attracted so many interesting comments (and a few muppets!)

It’s interesting, I read it as meaning ‘we’ve got the absolute best value we can out of Giroud’ – but others seem to have gathered a more negative inference.

I’m like the proverbial bus GN5. You will not see me for ages after this. No don’t breathe a sigh of relief. In actual fact I am dispersing now and will not catch up on any other comments till a bit later.

Done my stint for the site for the day. Now I will sit back and see if anyone debates with my comments or whether everyone will ignore me. No problem with that I am used to it, I have a wife and daughter so am well conditioned in the “being ignored” status.

Till later amigos.

Who said that :roll:

Haha Rasp, I bet when I check back later that is the only comment that referenced anything I said. Now I really must go.

Rasp – I read it as – he’s all used up and his time is over.

Fair do’s GN5, I can see that. Just goes to show there are 2 ways of looking at everything :)

Actually one more thing Rasp. I can’t remember exactly when it was but in one of the last 2 posts I put down a comment (medium sized by my standards) and not one person made reference to it. A few hours later Rocky (who I know is far more eloquent than me) trotted up and said much the same thing. Cue about 5-6 replies of “Great point / comment Rocky”.

I was actually very tickled by it and was going to mention it but being that I am still a computer illiterati I still can’t do proper smileys so thought it would come out as if I was miffed rather than finding it amusing, so didn’t bother.

Damn you all, your making me late. I will say it one final time. I’m off so LEAVE ME ALONE FOR A BIT.

Afternoon all, LB interesting thoughts.

You are right we have for the maximum out of Giroud. I guess a question having watched Bayern last night is how are the best team in the world the best team in the world with a similar centre forward?

My answer in the way they help get the most from him from all positions, and how others such as Kroos, Robben, Muller and Ribery chip in with goals.

On Suarez vs Ozil, for me I’m not sure Suarez would have taken us to the PL title, because I’m not sure we would have got the most out of him with the players we have around him.

Petr Cech is another example,GoonerB. One would think logically the first thing to find out would be the issue of a work permit, which quite frankly I don’t understand the procedure.
    If you are suggesting Wenger has not only complete control over everything does that mean he doesn’t listen to any of his coaching staff if they offer a different opinion on a players position or tactics or even subbing in a match ?
    I can’t believe that some reports say that AW never speaks at half time to the players,it just isn’t feasable.
    What I have noticed on match days that rarely does he utter a few words to formerly Pat Rice and now Steve Bould yet opposing managers and their respective number twos seem to converse a lot more,but again that is just an observation.

What did GB say? He wrote so many comments I lost the plot.

45. Lei says:

@GoonerB Now im getting scared are you kind of a mind reader or something? Because some of my thoughts appeared in your comments!
    Just yesterday was I thinking of the penalties we got this campaign/recent seasons and who were the players who provoked them and I noticed Ox Theo Gnabry were our most dangerous players in the opp box. Having missed half this season Ox already won 2pens for us (maybe more?) +Milan 2seasons ago, Theos non awarded vs chavs (he got one last yr vs wigan too) and Gnabry vs Palace. Its a shame the latter 2 didnt get to play more this season, but the three of them certainly are a big source of goalscoring opportunities and having them fit and available for a full season woul be massive for this team

Before you go GoonerB, I think that once in a while we all put up what we think is a stonker of a comment only to be ignored .. it happens to me all the time :)

The other reason is that readers tend to be lazy and if they see a long comment they switch off and do not read properly.

I always read your stuff because you talk a lot of sense and are better than me at putting in the caveats that can make even a highly critical observation seem tame :?

I try to be succinct these days – and still get ignored :lol:

Note my frequent use of smilies to underline my points :roll:

47. Lei says:

Özil won 2penalties this season too.

48. Lei says:

This brings me to the idea am I the only fool thinking of a front three of Theo/Ox/Gnabry with Özil supplying them?

Hi Lei, hmmmmm, Theo, The Ox, Gnabry, Ozil – who’s going to be doing the tracking back and defending? Maybe a fully fit Ramsey, but I think it would be asking a bit much of an aging Arteta to cover for all those attack minded players.

Like others, I’d probably opt for a midfield enforcer rather than a new striker if I could be confident our AM’s would remain fit.

Rasp

If your comment is ignored it maybe the total opposite that it is so good that no one can justify a reply, but I wouldn’t wind RA up, the king of long comments (dictionary an essential item required) ;)

:P Kelsey, it is true that some comments leave little scope for reply – but GoonerB’s are generally packed with topics for discussion, I think its just that many of us just don’t have the time to wade through it all :lol:

Here is my charter for comments:

Try to make it short and sweet
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum
    Try not to make too many points at any one time
    Try to give it a humorous edge
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum
    Try to make it relevant to the post for at least the first hour
    Try not to upset LB or GN5 or they will come back and bite your bum
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum
    Try not to flirt with White Bear – she’ll stalk you

Caveat…. the bit about White Bear isn’t true … actually she’s very choosy ;)

53. arnie says:

Rasp: a minor correction. :razz:

Try to make it short and sweet
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum
    Try not to make too many points at any one time
    Try to give it a humorous edge
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum and chavs
    Try to make it relevant to the post for at least the first hour
    Try not to upset LB or GN5 or they will come back and bite your bum
    Try to make it disrespectful to totnum, chavs and manure
    Try not to flirt with White Bear – she may choose to stalk you

Fair enough arnie. Actually I missed out the most important consideration …. Rasp is always right :?

55. Lei says:

Hi Rasp!
    My thought behind that was Ramsey plus another disciplined DM as i dont think Arteta should be a regular starter going forward.
    Of my 3 strikers id have Theo as the main man upfront as he is a more mature/experienced goalscorer. What impressed me most with Gnabry is that he never shirks his defensive respinsibility, always tracks back to help the FB and so does Ox. Moreover, their versatility would enable them to switch positions with either Özil in CAM or Walcott in the striker role.

56. arnie says:

Rasp: I humbly stand corrected. :razz:

Hi again Lei,
    Well that certainly would be an attacking set-up and could work if we had a Vieira/Toure type midfielder to conduct proceedings.

I don’t think Theo centrally works. He needs to run on to the ball and so playing wide and cutting in suits his game and he gets plenty of goals playing in that way.

I choose to ignore any and all posts from Rasp.

Well its short a short comment – but not very sweet.

I get ignored so often that I can’t remember when I wasn’t ignored.

You’ll be ignoring yourself soon

I can’t respond because I’m ignoring you.

I’ve just had my bum bitten :(

63. arnie says:

I like the concept of ignoring oneself. :razz:

64. arnie says:

Is ignorance bliss, or plain bollix?

65. arnie says:

Bollix? that would be totnumb then. :-)

66. arnie says:

Is bollix sweet or humorous? Maybe, if it is related totnumb, chavs or manure. No, manure is outrageously revolting. :sad:

67. arnie says:

better ignore myself then. :-)

68. White Bear says:

Rasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are going to regret it mate. I never stalked anyone in my life. I had fallen in love, briefly, with a few AAers, but didn’t stalk them. And it was you who pinched me arse, not the other way round. There.

69. peter tosh says:

That was waaoo!walcott CF Gnabry and chamber flank
    Then ozil supplying?very gd coach..some1 sayed they r attacking minded!gnabry can track back and tackle unlike santi who tracks back bt cant tackle bt he is always 1st 11,chamber does mistake and tracks back to correct it,its all abt the manager to command the play and stand on the touchline to direct his players.just try it we see,it can b a rocket attack better than SAS

70. arnie says:

Barcelona have been given a 14-month transfer ban by Fifa for breaking rules on signing international players under 18. Any crumbs coming our way? :razz:

71. Lei says:

@Rasp
    Well i would love to see more of Theo upfront. Not in all games but he sure can be an option. It’s a shame he got injured after his most accomplished performance in that position he had a tremendous game and would have scored a hattrick with a bit more luck. I really felt something different from his other outings at CF it would have been interesting to see him again there. I believe the manager would have used him more in the striker role had he remained fit.
    We need a new imposing DM no matter who plays as a striker.

72. Shard says:

Generally agree with the article LB.

On the issue of Ozil vs Suarez, and some people saying Ozil is not what we needed. I think that’s incorrect. Last season Santi Cazorla was almost dead on his feet as he was the only creative player we had and was overworked. As such more creativity was near the top of my list. Ozil, despite being in a new league, with no pre-season and now out injured, has still created an immense number of chances.

Suarez could of course also add some creativity, but despite all those goals, Suarez is somewhat of a ball hog. Sure, goals are great. But would he have been as good a fit in our team when Liverpool are essentially built around him. Think of how good Cesc looked with us, and how he doesn’t catch the eye so much in a better team which isn’t built to maximise his considerable talent. Suarez would have made us better, without doubt. But I am unconvinced he would be the same player we are seeing at Liverpool this season.

I think losing out on Higuain was a real loss. If we could have got him (and Ozil – Real Madrid did sell both after all) we’d have more mobility up front, he already had an understanding with Ozil, and he’s a very good finisher. At the same time, I think Arsenal were going after the better player in Suarez. A gamble that didn’t pay off unfortunately.

I admit to having the same (irrational) doubts about Benzema as you, but I still think he would be an amazing signing for us. There really aren’t that many ‘big name’ strikers around anymore and very few of them would be available. Costa maybe, but surely we can’t match what Chelsea will offer him. (Plus they can bargain with Atletico over Courtois) Cavani and Falcao? Even if they move, forget it. They would need to want to come to us over any other club. Unlikely. Who else?

I think we’re relying on Wenger to unearth another Eduardo if not another Henry. In addition to someone like Draxler (who reminds me of Suarez) that would be great in my view.

More of a smack than a pinch surely White Bear :lol:

74. Lei says:

His hold up play, pressing and overall workrate was impressive. He got involved in the build up of attacks and was even back to defend sometimes, dangerous as ever on the counter, and making runs from across the frontline so he doesnt have to stick to one spot.
    I was really excited with his performance then massively gutted with the news of his ACL!

Sounds like there’s been a bit of slap and tickle going on – what next?

How’s your father?

Lei I find myself agreeing with you about a front 3 with Ozil or say Cazorla behind but I would go with AOC as the central forward player and Theo as the wide right. I would expect them to rotate positions anyway but I feel that AOC has a better direction change in him when running at pace and has 2 good feet when shooting. Theo actually may be the slightly more clinical currently but I feel AOC’s style of running with the ball plus his body shape and size would make him the better central candidate.

I also agree with those that say that for this to work we would need a powerful, quick top level DM.

78. Domhuail says:

Great post LB but I only have one area of disagreement with you….we rarely use the long ball (a la Stoke or Sunderland) but prefer to play up from our attacking midfielders, which was amply shown against City last weekend.
    Giroud is worth all the Spuds striker force combined AND has provided better returns for a tenth of the price! His holdup play, his strength and his commitment to both defend and attack are what has kept us in many games to date. He will never be a Suarez,nor a Ronaldo but he is, at least, a better character than RVP!

Hi GB, do you have a powerful, quick top level DM in mind (Diaby is unacceptable as an answer)

80. Lei says:

GB My point was that the front three would be switching and changing positions during game thus becoming difficult for oppostion to mark. But im also keen with the idea of Ox as the frontman he strikes me more as a Rooney (not divey of course) than a Gerrard..and what a beast of a striker he would make!

I think Rasper is the sage of AA!!

To demonstrate that I have selected a short précis of his unwritten rule for comments attracting hits – and I am sure he deserves them.

— Try not to upset White Bear or she will come back and bite your bum
    — Try to make it disrespectful to totnum
    — Try not to flirt with LB or GN5 – or they will stalk you
    — Try to get Kelsey to do his ‘post match, previews with after the match predictions of the already known scores! They are fun.

Now that is unadulterated wisdom. :-)

Shard

I am not disagreing with you just for the sake of disagreeing but :)
    when you say Suarez is somewhat of a ball hog one could equally say so was Henry,but actually Suarez has become much more of a team player as his assists show.

I am absolutely sure he would have given a number of extra points this season and I for one would have loved to see him in our shirt,but it wasn’t to be and none of us now the real reasons except Wenger totally out of character wanted to buy a player from within the PL at a record price for Arsenal.

Bobby Pires wants me to say that GoonerBetterBGood pinched his notion that the Ox should be coached as our next CF, which appeared in the national press on the same day GBBG wrote his last minute post for AA.

Charlatan! :-)

Hi Redders, that comment was short and sweet and didn’t get us thumbing through the dictionary – although I’m not sure I would have owned up to being unadulterated :P

Apologies, LB, I should have first off thanked you for an excellently written Post that kept this reader gripped until the end.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. :-)

Rasper,

I am surprised you did not object to my tasteful amending of your 9 Commandments — and why only 9? Cheapskate! :roll:

Its always interesting how a head line post is received: there are usually compliments, there are always people calling you a twat in a variety of ways and then there is the reason I bother writing them in the first place.

Some people come up with ideas that had never crossed my mind and to me they feel like flashes of excitement going of in my head.

There are two today: Evonne’s suggestion to turn the tables and ask what could Liverpool offer Suarez to make him stay that Arsenal couldn’t. This is brilliant in its simplicity and I must confess it never entered my head.

And the gem that GIE came up with by pointing out that Bayern have just won the league with a very similar type of striker. This made me stare at my computer screen in wonderment. I am so Barça focused this had never crossed my mind.

PS, I don’t like Barça, they irritate the f out of me.

Lei, we are in agreement then.

Rasp, not really, I am not too up to date with what is out there. Two names seem to crop up currently those being Lars Bender and William carvallho but I will admit to not knowing enough about either.

I know what I would want from this player though. He would have to be of good technical ability with his passing and also being comfortable on the ball when being closed down, i.e can turn away from being closed down or burst past the player closing down (much like PV4 did so well). I would like him to be able to offer something going forwards but to remain primarily defensively disciplined (no new Songhinho’s) so maybe more specifically a holding midfielder.

We would also obviously want physical strength but for me not at the expense of pace which is an area I consider to be highly important if you are to patrol in front of the back 4 and prevent attacks before they occur, and nip in and nick the ball off opposition players and then launch quick counter-attacks. I would prefer a quick but strong six footer than a slightly more cumbersome but strong 6 foot 3 inch player (like Fellaini).

Remember one of the best touted exponents of his role was Makelele who was obviosly no giant but was still physical, but more than anything covered the ground quickly. I would love to see more of Kallstrom, who I really haven’t seen any footage on, to see if he ticks alot of these boxes. You have seen more of him Rasp and I believe you were reasonably impressed at this early stage.

Damn, rumbled by Redders.

90. Shard says:

haha Kelsey. Despite what you say I am certain you are disagreeing with me just for the sake of it :)

Suarez has improved as a team player, although to compare him to Henry in terms of being a ballhog is sacrilege in my book. Suarez still takes a lot of speculative shots. I’m sure I could find stats to back that up somewhere but meh… You’ll just disagree with me anyway :P

We are in agreement anyhow that Suarez would have won us more points (although that might have depended on Cazorla’s fitness in the absence of Ozil)

However, Arsenal would not be built around him the same way that Liverpool is. Arsenal would play a lot more games. Big games at that. (And Suarez I think till date hasn’t scored against any of the top clubs) And so, I don’t think his impact would be the same as it is at Liverpool this season. Positive impact though it undoubtedly would have been for us.

LB, GIE’s point is well made. Bayern play with 2 quick wing forwards either side of the striker who score goals and can get beyond that striker and behind defences.

I have mentioned before IMO that to play Ollie effectively we would need this set-up. Only Gnabry, Theo and the Ox fall into that catagory IMO. Despite their other attributes none of Ramsey, Jack, Ozil, Cazorla, Arteta, Flamini or Rosicky actually offer the kind of pace needed or the regular goal threat cutting in from wide areas.

This for me means that to play Ollie effectively that a lot of those players would need to be sacrificed to the bench in order to get 2 from 3 of Theo / Ox / Gnabry out there. That is therefore our plan B for me. If we want more of those crafty technicians who don’t have the real pace out there behind a front man then the front man needs to have pace to exploit the gaps behind the defenders, which I would class as plan A and isn’t Ollie.

Arnie

I will get back to you on your question this morning. It goes to the heart of how I see our present day transfer policy and I might even be able to turn it into another post.

Excellent Post LB (and Gooner B yesterday).

You sum up my view of OG very accurately – we could not have asked any more of him this season simply because he has no more to give.

A common characteristic for all the very best teams is a world class striker. Suarez at ‘Pool, Aguero at City, Messi at Barca, Ronaldo at RM, Ibra at PSG, Muller at Bayern.

If the Chavs fail to win the EPL this year it may well be because they lack an out-and-out killer striker (Torres is a busted flush and Eto is over the hill).

The logic is clear: if we want to be serious challengers next year we need a top, top striker.

Who that person is I’ll leave to others, since I don’t watch much foreign footy. But I have little doubt that AW has one or more in his sights.

Thanks GoonerB, it’s too early to tell with Kallstrom, but for the short while he was on the pitch he was strong, reasonably quick, attacking and showed good movement – so I would also like to see more of him.

Also LB, I’m sure your point about Suarez is correct.

There was a release clause and our bid of forty million plus a quid would have triggered it – but only if Suarez had insisted on it.

He didn’t so the rest is irrelevant.

GoonerB,

You must be playing hooky today, and it has been a pleasure to read your honest, interesting and good natured comments. :-)

If you want to know how to do a ‘smiley’ just hover your cursor over the little smiley bastards head – and it will present you with : – ) or : P etc — I have typed them with spaces so you can see them, but when you do them, keep them together and separated from any other words like this :-) :P :roll:

You know you want to!

LB, maybe Liverpool offered Suarez a new contract with an option to go (sensible buy-out clause) if Real Madrid or Barcelona came in for him over the summer. We saw the same thing with Ronaldo – he gave manu one more year and so when he left, both clubs retained their respect.

By the way, GB, I totally agree with your comment that you have sometimes written a stinker (oops) stonker of a comment and been ignored — and I make it my business to ignore you, obviously — only for RockaDiddly to show up on a white pony and paraphrase your epic epiphany and attract all the responses!

He also does that to my works of art all the time — he is the Magpie of AA if you ask me! :D

Shard

“A few minor points. I think Liverpool weren’t immediately of the stance of ‘not selling at any price’. Their initial statements suggested they were looking for more money. It was later they decided that if they ignore the clause it wouldn’t lead to legal action from Suarez, who obviously didn’t want to join us all that much.”

This is interesting and in an attempt to reply constructively I will break it down into two categories:

A, An offer came in that Liverpool could not refuse.

B, An offer came in from Real Madrid, which surely you agree, would have been Suarez’s dream move and had that happend Suarez would have done everything he could to make the move happen Anelka, RvP the list, as you know is long.

The thing is we are ruled out on both counts, we are not run by oil rich business men who don’t care if they ever see a return of their investment and we are obviously not Real Madrid.

So yes you are right to say that Liverpool’s initial statements suggested they were looking for money but when they realise that we were the only ones interested they went into overdrive to try and keep him.

And my rationale is the same as I have stated above that being that Liverpool were able to match any offer we could make.

And this is for Evonne if she is reading: Better the devil you know etc , backed up by: he would have had to change his children’s school and no parent does that if they can help it.

Rasp

I am convinced that that was what the buy out clause was for in the first place.

Rocky

4.10

Thank you, thank god there is one person (smiley face)

Thanks LB, I was responding to your comment about “Evonne’s suggestion to turn the tables and ask what could Liverpool offer Suarez to make him stay that Arsenal couldn’t.” – why not simply that. They told him they wouldn’t sell him this season (to Arsenal) but if he played his heart out for pool they would let him go for the right price in the summer if Barca or Real came in for him. I think the flirting with a prem rival would have riled them and they wouldn’t sell to us for that reason.

103. One less competitor in the transfer market this Summer ?.

Oh……and the Spuds say they will be in their new stadium for 2017 !………lets hope they have nearly ten years of penny pinching and in their case….relegation !.

Thanks Redders. Where exactly do I find these little smiley bastards to hover over. It is just one of those weird things that i have never worked out how to do. My father is good on computers but doesn’t blog like this so it is something he will not know about. My brother is also a whizz but i don’t see him as regularly and when I do I forget to get a lesson from him.

I had time earlier but am now in full flow at work but getting the odd moment to put up a comment.

GoonerB,

Here are several smiley buggers for you, :-) :P :D :roll: :oops:

Just move your pointy thing (no – the cursor over the horrid little face, and leave it there for a second or two, and lo and behold : – ) will appear, for example. :-)

(walks off, whistling Dixie, and thinking ‘what a pilchard’)

Hiya, Cockie, :-)

How is your alter ego’s van driving going, or have you imprisoned him in his own love shack making out with Fonzie? :P

LB. Thank you for the post. I agree that OG has done all he can this season. Comparing his performances early season when he had our creative players in the team to today when he appears laboured is a testament to the amount of work he has done.

So – do we want a shiny new striker or develop an Ox-in-the-Box?

AW sees Ox as a Gerrard style player, however this is how most view Ramsey) and looking forward I cannot see how we will fit all our superb young talent in unless they learn to develop different skill sets.

Gnabry and Ox are almost replicas of each other, Ramsey & JW want to take the same position on the pitch and none are deemed powerful enough to be a DMF.

Zelalem is another lightweight MF as is Eisfeld and the very young but excellent prospect Daniel Crawley.

But what we need to develop from the youth team is a CB, a DMF and a lethal striker. Akpom could be the man or Joel Campbell.

GB,

I have probably been too technical. :-)

Type a colon : and then a dash – and then bracket )

: – ) but don’t leave spaces and wowed, you get :-) now place your cursor arrow over the face I just typed and you will get a reminder of how to do it.

Your dad will have the odd tear drop as you show him and he will smile benignly and say, “I knew my boy would crack it!’ :D

Barca will challenge the ban and will win. As will teams who fall foul of FFP

110. TwentyTwelve says:

Great topic LB. I wonder if Arsenal can get more from Giroud next season. I mean, obviously not speed, but perhaps more accuracy and decision making?

He’s missed some clear chances this season. A lack of composure? Failure to assess the time he has to shoot? Misreading of the defense?

He also cost Arsenal ball possessions the limited times he decided to dribble out of trouble. He seems to do okay when in the open, out wide, one-on-one. When he is hemmed in, with a second defender hovering nearby, he seems to commit more errors. Again is he misreading the situation. Can he improve there?

:-)

:roll: :-) :P :D :D :D :D :D

:oops:

Sorry, just stubbed my toe.

114. arnie says:

Raddy: “Akpom could be the man or Joel Campbell”. We live in hope! :-)

LB: Thank you. In anticipation of another brilliant post, the. :-)

Raddy

It’s a red herring. Both Barca and RM are being investigated Barca and Real are likely to lose money in the next TV sponsorship deal as other clubs want their piece of the pie. Also still waiting for the EC to review the illegal tax breaks both clubs get over their rivals. Both could be in serious financial trouble.

Yay — GoonerBVeryGood has got it — he’s the Champion Smiley King!! :-)

kelsey. It will never happen, both clubs are too important for TV revenue and the reputation of Spain worldwide.

Investigations in Spain mean little and as to other clubs wanting to break the RM/Barca hegemony they have next to no hope of a successful result. It is only this season that people have been interested in A Madrid . the others are just fodder.

arnie.5.26. We certainly do. This evening’s hope is that Mrs Raddy doesn’t ruin a pasta al salmone :-D

118. arnie says:

Raddy: now, I am feeling hungry, and jealous :-)

Yes, Spanish reputation. But then, Catalonia may become a separate country by then? :razz:

119. jnyc says:

At the beginning of this season, Suarez was a steal at 40m. He was worth 50, albeit with reservations about his behavior.
    We had a Window of opportunity to negotiate above the buy out clause, at the time Suarez was really pushing for a move, Rodgers said they wouldn’t let him go for under 50-55 M. THIS IS ON VIDEO AT AN OFFICIAL LIVERPOOL PRESS CONFERENCE. simple. That meant 50m + add ons.
    They owned us in that situation, and now are reaping the rewards. A shot at the league, and a player now worth even more than before, maybe much more. We didn’t want to pay what he was actually worth. We wanted the better deal of a buy out clause, even though it was still big money.
    We might have had to pay out the ad ons because we may have won the league. Or with our luck, he would have been injured in his first game for us.
    Either way, we have a slow 6-4 striker who doesn’t score headers. I like him, but we need an upgrade.

arnie. Much like (and with as much chance as) Scotland..

I know we are not a political site but …. I have no idea how the paople of Scotland feel about the upcoming referendum. The press here are saying it is a foregone conclusion the Scots will vote for inclusion. What do you think?

121. arnie says:

Raddy: It has been very divisive. The polls are quite close, but I think status quo will prevail. Very emotive issue. People are increasingly angry with the way the campaign has been handled on both sides.

I am undecided. Not as simple as it probably looks from the outside. Certainly not that much about “those English people” and so on. Cannot discuss here, but happy to chat elsewhere (email, etc.) if you like. :-)

Jnyc. It is easy to say that in hindsight. Many on AA would not have signed him given his behaviour last season which meant he was banned for week after week. Racism and cannibalism are hardly Arsenal traits.

40m was AFC’s assessment of his value – given that this would have been the second biggest transfer in PL history, it was a reasonable offer. And just because Rodgers said he would take 55m does not mean they would sell; it is Henry who owns the club and he said he would not sell Suarez whatever we bid.

Johnny

Can you find the video clip, I would really like to see it.

What a super post, LB, cheers.

I honestly don’t think the dippers would have sold him to us regardless of any bollix as him being worth as much as Cavani.
    Any price setting was a starting position for negotiations if Madrid came in for him.

I just wish we’d taken a stand like them and refused to sell brave sir robin to a prem rival, even if it meant losing some money to make the point. Just imagine if we hadn’t had to see his treacherous face on our screens for the last two seasons (though, admittedly, this season it’s been a little more fun) :lol:

Thanks RA for the lesson. I will not even tell you the basic error I was making. Remember to invoice me for tuition fees. I will not pay anything silly Redders like £50, I will only go to £100 max.

Sorry Redders forgot to add :D

Old habits die hard. :D

Raddy

“reputation of Spain worldwide” :) Yes nearly all the other clubs are skint but the general economic climate and the EU investigation is going to take place. Then their is the issue of Messi avoiding tax and the Neymar transfer is also being investigated.

The government have changed their views dramatically as things like those I have mentioned above would have been swept under the carpet two years ago. So I disagree with you aswell :)

kelsey. We shall see. Investigations into tax abuse in Spain ….. whatever next :-D

LB
    Here are a couple of articles reporting the same interview. (notice the different slant, goal.com saying any bid would have to match PSG’s Cavani bid, the Telegraph not making things up)

Lastly a video: look after 1 minute.

Raddy (@5.01) you said :

I totally agree with that sentiment. IMO we seem to have a lot of excellent players but are maybe top heavy with certain players with certain skill sets. I think there is a post in there looking at the different players and their favoured 1 (or sometimes 2) roles and see how it adds up. I have thought about it for a while and think it can be done but requires a bit of creative thinking and the adaptation of certain players to certain roles.

Finally raddy you say :

This evening’s hope is that Mrs Raddy doesn’t ruin a pasta al salmone

Now I presume to us heathens that is pasta with fish and at no time is Mrs Raddy cooking anyone called Al. I wish you a very pleasant meal or as Del Boy would say “Bon Voyage”.

GB LOL.

Ce soir, Allez Paris, Allez Paris, Allez

No invoice for you, GB, I don’t charge friends! :-)

Anyway I have seen a plethora of other smileys from t’other bloggers, and I would have to charge them the special £100 price + 50% discount = £150 too. Chance and fat spring to mind. :P

133. arnie says:

Redders: are you saying “t’other bloggers” are not your friends? :-)

With respect to les français with whom I join as a fan of PSG, for one night, can I say;

Je vous souhaite une bonne nuit – I wish you good night.

À demain – until tomorrow.

Sshh, arnie – don’t let GB hear — t’others are not as gullible and would insist on an additional 50% discount, and GB would get jealous as I would only charge them £200 each. :D

Bon soir, mon ami.

By the way there was a really big difference between Suarez and BSRcwhen it came to holding out.

At start of 12/13 season Dippers got Suarez to put pen to paper on a new contract assumed long term, this was after the racism ban so unlikely to get many offers and he took the deal. So he had only completed 1 year of a new deal when we went in, BSR as we all know had one year left on a deal, and actually if Arsene didn’t want him around anymore, and BSR would only sign for one club or sit at London Colney and sulk did we really have any option?

And I have equalled GB’s record 4 in a row! :-)

Damnation, Exile, now you have ruined my run of comments, just to make a sensible point. :-)

GIE
    Maybe he would have gone to Juve if we’d categorically said he couldn’t go to the mancs. Any speculation is as valid as the next. :)

Damn it all this foreign language stuff, which i presume is danish seeing as raddy started it, is making my head spin. All the different discounts are really confusing and i just need to get the business finished so my final offer RA is £250.

Good point gie. I was really miffed abot bsr but seem to be over it now. Dont want him back. Just want us to move onwards and upwards. Utd fans will never accept him as a legend and really it is sad for him that he will never have those special moments that the likes of dennis, thierry and bobby get when they return and are treated like returning family heroes.

142. jnyc says:

Raddy, fair point, though many of us wanted to up the bid at the time. thinking he was well worth 40 and more, especially to our club, with no other good options available for a top striker, clock ticking, and Giroud as the alternative. And managers dont throw numbers around in press conferences without discussing with superiors. It was a message to any suitors.
    Also honestly, the season he is having now, is what I always thought he could do on a better team
    (Like Arsenal) …

If there was a real clause, we should have sued because not putting up a fight made us look weaker. Even if we didn’t get him in the end, it might have forced them to a fair negotiation for a little more, or destabilized them a bit. Considering that we are looking up at them, it couldn’t have hurt.
    What is to keep other teams from doing the same to us? If we were not supposed to know the actual amount , we should have made a bid of 41, or 41.2. To cover ourselves. But we had to pay the absolute minimum. As usual.
    By the way, on value, I think Ozil is worth what we paid, easily. In today’s market especially.i think the press and some fans just don’t recognize his subtle qualities. I just know that this team needs a real quality striker also.

Jnyc. It is just supposition and like RL says it’s irrelevant now.

I agree that we are desperate for a top quality striker but I also think that had we managed to keep a fully fit AR , Ozil and TW we would be at least 6 points better off and challenging for the title.

Jnyc. Were we in a legally strong position to sue liverpool or would that have needed to have come from suarez himself as others have suggested. Maybe it was the latter and there was nothing we could do about it as suarez wasnt as dead set on us as we would have liked. I tend to agree with the suspicions that we were a means to flush madrid out with. If we had pushed it further formally with no solid legal grounding we may have ended up more a laughing stock

Chelsea have bought another referee.

PSG are rubbish. Top Heavy or what.

Top heavy like Pammy?

Oscar dived yet again for another pen and it is clear the referee has been bought. Fair play to Abramovich he is an expert.

148. jnyc says:

Yes Raddy, water under the bridge. Our determination or lack thereof will be shown this summer. Ozil for example, must have been promised that our ambitions are higher than top 4. Koscielny and others will also be watching our moves.

Let’s see if we make signings other than kids, or just make excuses.

149. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. David Luiz own goal! :-)

150. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. PSG 3-1 Chelsea – Javier Pastore

Bloody hell. Chelsea concede a cracker from a bloke who cost €40m whom I have never heard of!!

152. Hi all

Great little third goal for PSG I thought for a few moments here that the chavs were going to equalise.

We need a post for tomorrow and one for Saturday as we’re not playing until Sunday.

I’m afraid I’m really out of action at the moment as I fractured my shoulder on Monday and I’m still in a lot of pain. I’ll be immobile for two months and probably won’t get to the Ems again this season :(

Sorry to be popping in just to nag, hopefully I’ll be in a better mood next week.

If someone can write a little something for tomorrow that would be great.

If this comment comes up as Rasp I’ll be very cross :lol:

You must be very cross!

That’s tough luck Peaches, especially just as the good weather is starting and of course gardening season. I hope its less than two months and that the pain eases off soon it must be hard to simply type.

155. Hi GN5, just popped some pills so at least I’ll be in a fugg soon. It will get better so I mustn’t complain too much but I was looking forward to starting a lovely planting job.

The legs are back.

Well instead of planting you can relax by sitting in your garden and watching the plants grow. Don’t forget to take a bottle of red out with you – strictly for medicinal purposes of course!.

My 5 year old grandson fell off of a climber, at school, last week and broke his wrist. We have a picture of him holding up his cast and he has the saddest look on his face – its just precious..

It’s good for him GN5 I broke my elbow at 5 refusing to let go of the monkey bars, I left one arm hanging until I spun round so far as to break my elbow once, then broke in another place as I hit the floor. Got lots of sympathy from girls and dinner ladies.

Broke it again when I was 15 playing football on Tarmac…not sensible. I say with my parents in agony while we watched Ireland v Romania in Italia 90, decided I was still in quite a bit of pain at final whistle so should probably go to Hospital. Where my Dad had to convince them to x ray it as I was moving it around saying it was fine. Haha….first lesson in life…your parents always know best. I was lucky to carry on playing football after that, against everyone’s best intentions I was back for opening game of season whilst still trying to get my arm straight, eventually ended up with only 8 degree bend at full extension, which was better than the 15 degrees they said it’s be.

Peaches employ staff sit back drink a Peroni and get a straw :)

160. arnie says:

hard luck, Peaches. wish you a quick recovery. :-)

162. VCC says:

Peaches….sorry to hear about your mishap. I wish you a speedy recovery. Hopefully it’s relatively painless with the pills.

As GN5 says….take a bottle of red with it. ;-)

Exie 5:32 Indeed :-)

That’ll be you GIE

LB

Great post followed by some great comments.
    Sorry wasn’t around, just going through a busy period.

My take on Suarez: my reservation is that had Arsene landed him, my gut says he would have tried to play him with Ollie, and thus I wouldn’t be watching the fluid fast attack I like watching such as Pool play with him in their side.

I don’t think we should confuse other sides such as PSG or Bayern who play with a big ‘un up top, as the difference is their boys are as good facing goal as they are back to goal.

Ouch Peaches

Sorry to hear of your injury. Follow GN5’s advice of sun and alcohol and hopefully the recovery time will pass quickly.

This caught my eye from Evonnee

“I had fallen in love, briefly, with a few AAers”. A few!!

Well, Dear, two eaten, how many to go then? :-)
    What’s the name of those spiders that eat their mates? Perhaps the White Bear tag should be changed :-)

Okedoke, back to the grind for me.

Peaches. Nasty. Perhaps time for Mum to be Mummed.

chas. As always – thank you.

chavs nailed on for a 2-0 home leg win going through on that poxy away goal.

Peaches
    Hope you feel better as soon as poss.

Morning all.

peaches I know too well the pain you must be suffering.My wife broke her shoulder last August , tripping up whilst dog walking. Hopefully you won’t need surgery,as often these things take a while to heal themselves with a some physio. xx

I agree with chas about Chelsea going through .I wasn’t impressed with PSG apart from that excellent half volley.

Looks like it may well be RM’s to lose
    With the rub of the green I honestly think we could at least of got to the Final. Not winning our group again, plus the mandatory sending off that we always get was our downfall.

My daughter said she was staying at a friends house and now I see her in the Ukraine, her mum is going to be very cross.

If PSG score at the Bridge the Chelsea have to score 3 which I think is beyond them – and I believe PSG will score as CFC are forced to attack.

LB :-D :-D

Can you bring her to the match next time I am over?

177. arnie says:

Motning all.

Kelsey: the missed penalty is the worst of the lot. :sad:

I disagree Raddy :)

179. arnie says:

what will happen to today’s post? I will try and do one later today, for whenever.

180. arnie says:

I think it is time to leave. The Raddy-Kelsey disagreement brought back painful memories of Chavs scoring more than 2, in fact a whole half a dozen. oh dear! :sad:

I think Chelsea are far better at drawing games than they are at winning them.

Ibra after five minutes — game over.

Didn’t Ibra pull his hamstring last night. ?

Look at the table on the left of this web page – it is no wonder we are struggling. Good news for the run-in with some players returning

184. arnie says:

yes, he did. dont know how bad it is. could be more of a precaution.

If you have no post for today why don’t we just have a poll on something if anyone has any ideas.

Who does evonne fancy. 5 canditates,vote and explain why :)

The French defender injured his calf against Chelsea and is expected to be out for another couple of weeks at least.(from your link)

That is the bit I don’t like,Raddy.

187. arnie says:

Kelsey: I have thought about that. a poll on who we would like to win the CL may be nice. someone must know how to make a poll.

arnie,

I have been lucKy enough to attend the 1966 World Cup Final, as well as seeing Arsenal win the double in 1971, going to both games and of course numerous other finals but the only thing outstanding is to see us win the CL trophy.

Although it goes back to 2006 I really think with :Lehmann being sent off,henry missing a sitter and then larsen coming on to beat Almunia at his near post,luck wasn’t on our side and Barca though obviously being good, hadn’t reached their peak.

Conversation starter sent.

190. White Bear says:

or maybe who Evonne doesn’t fancy. Candidates: ROBBEN, Robben, Robben, Ronaldo and Bale.

How about voting who will win the CL?

I don’t care who wins it, if it isn’t Arsenal (though I would much prefer it if it isn’t Chavs or MU :-) )

Morning Joke…..

As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Traffic Warden’s
    Funeral, a voice from inside screams
    “I’m not dead, I’m not dead. Let me out!”
    The Vicar smiles, leans forward sucking air through his teeth and mutters
    “Too fecking late pal, I’ve already done the paperwork”

193. arnie says:

Kelsey: I was not born in 1966 and too young in 1971. :razz: But on the rest I agree. If I can see the day Arsenal wins it, the World Clubs Cup also usually comes with it, it will be the best day of my life! we live in hope! :-)

Morning all … sorry, peaches has gone missing? but thanks to Micky we have a ……

….. New post ……