An Arsenal Blast from the Past 1932/33 League Divison 1 Championship

The 1932/33 season saw Arsenal win it’s second League Division One Championship it was the first of three successive Championship wins 1932/33, 1933/34 and 1934/35. During the eight year period of 1930/31 to 1937/38 they won five League Championship titles. In the 1932/33 season they scored 111 goals, Cliff Bastin getting 33 of them, a record for a winger unlikely ever to be beaten. That year there was also a shock defeat in the FA Cup losing 0-2 away to Walsall, Herbert Chapman got the local underground station, Gillespie Road renamed to Arsenal, and he also introduced the now famous white sleeves in a match against Liverpool in March 1933. Unfortunately Chapman died of pneumonia in January of 1934, he was succeeded as manager by George Allison with Tom Whittaker and Joe Shaw as coaches, George went on win the League titles in both 1933/34 and 1934/35. The 1934/35 season saw Sunderland emerge as their main competitors; Arsenal lost 1-2 away then they drew 0-0 at Highbury on March 9th 1935 in front of Arsenal’s all time record crowd of 73,295.

Arsenal were the outstanding team in the Football League, early on in the1932/33 season Leeds United were one of their main competitors and they were involved in a titanic tussle for the leadership of the First Division. On Boxing Day 1932 Leeds travelled to Highbury, at the time they were six points adrift of Arsenal in the League standings and to everyone’s surprise it was Leeds who triumphed beating Arsenal by 2-1, with Charlie Keetley getting both goals in front of a huge 55,876 crowd, while Joe Hulme scored the lone Arsenal goal. Incredibly enough this set the scene for the very next day, when they played again in the return fixture at Elland Road where the crowd of the previous day was exceeded and a new record attendance for Elland Road was set at 56,796. For safety reasons the gates were locked and hundreds clambering on nearby house roofs as well as the Peacock Public House and various vantage points on Beeston Hill, in an attempt to get a glimpse of the action. Victory would have strengthened Leeds United’s championship aspirations but they were held to a goal-less draw by the star-studded Gunners and ended up the season in eighth position.

Arsenal went on to take the Football League Championship that season and were so dominant and overwhelming that they went on to become only the second team in Football League history to complete a treble by winning the Championship again in 1933-34 and 1934-35, Huddersfield Town being the first team to achieve the treble of Championships from 1924 to 1926.

In an English International game played at Highbury against Italy on November 14th, 1934 England fielded seven Arsenal Players Frank Moss in goal, George Male at right back, Edie Hapgood at left back, Wilf Copping at left half, Ray Bowden at inside right Cliff Bastin at inside left and Ted Drake at center forward. Ted Drake scored one of England’s goals in a 3-2 victory, during the 1934/35 season Ted netted 42 times for Arsenal.

players training

Arsenal training: Apr 27, 1935

The Arsenal team was chock full of Internationals and household names and their line ups at the time usually included such names as: Frank Moss; George Male, Eddie Hapgood, Frank Hill, Herbie Roberts, Bob John, Joe Hulme, David Jack, Tim Coleman, Jack Lambert, Alex James, Cliff Bastin, Wilf Copping, Ray Bowden and Ted Drake

arsenal1932-3-league

Arsenal 1932-33 Team

gn5 table 2

gn5 league standings

NB: That’s the type of League table that I like, no Manchester United, Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur anywhere to be seen – those were the days my friends………

GunnerN5

116 Responses to An Arsenal Blast from the Past 1932/33 League Divison 1 Championship

1. Danny says:

“Rosicky is a doubt for Chelsea”
    A great way to start the day.

2. Excellent as usual, Mister Arsenal.com

Off-topic, but on-topic as regards Arsene Wenger’s special day, here’s a quote…

“It is not possible to have 1,000 matches unless the club is also a fantastic club who support their manager especially in the bad moments – and when the bad moments are quite a lot.”
    Jose Mourinho

…a bloody nice comment from a bloody good bloke…

3. Joe says:

It’s nice to see Mo never let’s us down Arsene has more class in his small finger than Mo has in whole body. With a head the size of Mo’s that’s hard.

When you refer to “Mo” I assume you are talking about the coach who tried to gouge out the eye of a fellow professional?

5. Lei says:

Theres only one Mo and hes a bloody GOONER!

6. Joe says:

Mo = dick head at Chelsea

7. arnie says:

absolutely fantastic work, GN5. :D :D :D

8. arnie says:

“bad moments are quite a lot”!!!! ha ha ha ha. Bloody fecking barsteward Moaninho!!!!!!! how can a man stoop so low? perhaps he was a gymnast in his previous career!

Beautiful GN5. Simply beautiful.

Those Ghosts are something aint they? What a fantastic history our club has got.

I do yearn for yesteryear. I remember as a kid playing down the park with my mates, what joy.

Jumpers for goal posts, impressing the watching girls with my dribbling skills.

One time to show off to a watching girl I scored a hat trick in a thrilling 13-12 win, and all this with the pain of a wasp sting to the testicle

I think I made an impression with the hat trick so constantly turned round to stare at her, legs akimbo with a terrible grimace on my face as I clutched the swollen ball.

Afterwards, as I lay on my bed de icing the injury, I worried why after the game she had snubbed me and contemplated how large a gonad could expand to.

What a bad sport Morinio is. The mans a snide, a bogey picker. Cant stand the bloke.

Always enjoy beating Chelsea, but after his snidely comments victory would be even sweeter.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Top work GN5

11. RC78 says:

Great post, yet again!

Unrelated but the draw of the CL took place today:

Bayern – Man Utd
    Real – Dortmund
    PSG – Chelsea
    Barca – Atletico

Three of the four fixtures are easily predictable: Bayern, Real and Barca should go through…

Chelsea has the edge over PSG but I believe that it will be the toughest and most unpredictable fixture…

Cavani, Ibra, Lavezzi vs Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry – interesting match up

Another lovely read Gn5. How lucky we are that they are all digitised so we can re-read them.

I would love to have seen Alex James and Cliff Bastin. Real men and real heroes.

13. Lei says:

I only know our marathonian gooner Mo!

14. Jose Moanio over at Chelsea is such a bitch that the only hopes I have for him are negative.Only after a good trashing from a rampant Arsenal side tomorrow, along with a dramatic end of season flop culminating with him being sacked for a second time will serve to satisfy some of my wishes. The guy has no dignity, humour or sense of camaraderie. I suppose he thinks it great to play the pantomime villain but he is not making a good job of it. He really is only turning out to be an obnoxious person and an idiot!
    By him suggesting that it is preferable to have games in hand than points in the bag was more than questionable. He also said Chelsea are a small horse. Arsene Wenger was correct in challenging the perspective of any manager of the league leaders declaring they are not in it. In effect Wenger called the Moanio out as a Scaredy Cat and he hit a nerve! The moany, smarmy one was hedging his bets. The opportunity to fritter dosh away for glory is now not as great as in his early days so he could add kudos by winning at times he was not convinced. If that is the script I’ll be F***ed.
    Hey Jose,-Chelsea is now, not a small horse. You helped to make them a force. You were sacked for being too functional, lacking in imagination and projection etc. Chelsea F.C. improved while you were away but now you’re back as same old Jose, charmless as ever and envious of Arsene Wenger. Instead of a proper and fitting acknowledgement of the Arsenal man’s achievements you deign to nit-pick? Jose, you are a donkey. A rich,clever one,but a donkey nevertheless
    Happy 1000th. game Arsene!! You are the Man!

Cheers, GN5.
    The Ghosts of the Thirties……………..

(the results graphic has 1947/8 on it and it looks like they are the results from that season)

16. Norfolk Gooner says:

Another good ‘un GN5.

Nice to hear from Big Al, it’s been a while.

Premier League position to one side, it would be special to celebrate the Great Man’s 1000 with a win.

Off topic, I see there have been calls for the assets, cash and property of Russian president Vladimir Putin’s friends, Abramovich and Usmanov, to be frozen over The Crimea situation. That would hurt The Chavs more than it would hurt us.

Here’s a little clip from the 1933 Arsenal……..

Hmmm, I have just realised — if we lose tomorrow our tittle hopes are over; although, if we win, they are, of course, very much alive.

So that makes it, as Chas says, a must win game.

Most important game of the season so far.
    A real six-pointer.
    Game of two halves.
    Sick as a parrot.

That reminds me, there is a story about the phrase originating from a certain cess-pit in N17.

This from a spud website.

The very day in 1919 that Arsenal pinched Tottenham’s place in the First Division, the club’s pet parrot collapsed and died. The parrot had been a gift from a ship’s captain as the Spurs team returned from a 1908 tour of Argentina & Uruguay and it lived a healthy and happy life on its perch at White Hart Lane for a full 11 years before its untimely end. It’s death is thought to be where the phrase “as sick as a parrot” came from.

With the chav game being an early kick-off, a good result would make for a smashing weekend. Anything else and footie will be off the menu until Tuesday.
    Oh no, it’s on BT Sport with that bell-end Michael Owen. It’s either the mute button or find a stream, I think.

I wonder how Sky have billed the Sunday fixtures of spuds v Saints and Villa v orcs? ‘Suicidal Sunday’.

Right, off for a beer.

22. Shard says:

Hi Gn5

You make me wish I could have seen that team play. Were the Manchester clubs considered our rivals then? SPurs quite obviously must have been, but which clubs were what would be considered a proper rivalry in that era?

23. Shard says:

Mourinho doesn’t bother me anymore. He tries and the media tries to give him importance, but his facade is lost. The oh so special aura was always a sham and more and more people see it now. His farcical attempts to keep it up just make him appear like a petulant brat. Which he is of course.

In other news, apparently Arsene Wenger was once engaged to Joan of Arc, who now predicts that because he has never had a plan B, City will win the title.

Another fantastic read Gn5.

George Allison’s two title’s may be credited as having been won by “Harbert Chapman’s team” but, as David Moist is finding out this season, filling big shoes is not as easy as it looks! My conclusion: although Allison’s teams were built by Chapman, Allison must also have been doing something right.

From the Telegraph:

“United’s Van Persie Out For Up To Six Weeks

“Robin van Persie will miss Manchester United’s Champions League quarter-final tie against Bayern Munich after being ruled out for 4-6 weeks with a knee ligament injury.

“The Dutch forward, who was injured in the final stages of United’s 3-0 victory against Olympiakos on Wednesday, could face a battle to be fully fit for the World Cup if the injury keeps him out of action beyond the six week period suggested by the club’s medical staff.
    Having spent the day on crutches at United’s Carrington training ground on Thursday, Van Persie underwent a second scan on his knee today.

“And United have confirmed this evening that he could now be sidelined until May with the injury. A United spokesperson said: “Following further investigation Robin van Persie has a sprained knee which will keep him out for around 4-6 weeks.”

At last, the Mancs are getting the REAL Van Persie.

Scoring a hat trick one day and being ruled out for six weeks the next is SO typical of his Arsenal career.

Thank you those who took the time to comment on my post.

Sometime writing a post on AA is like pissing your pants in a dark suit. You get a nice warm feeling – but nobody else notices!

Well if it’s any consolation Gn5, you pissed down my pants too :)

Thanks Rocky.

29. neamman says:

Nice post GN5. Now I have a couple of unrelated questions for all and sundry.

1] For the GTA area Gooners who post here, it looks like we should be in the Cup Final. Any of you guys fancy meeting up to watch the game and celebrate after? It can be in Toronto or Mississauga, if so please pm me.

2] A question for the old timers.. I am running an old north bank song through my head which went..
    [excuse the swearing]

Fuck them all, Fuck them all
    United , West Ham, Liverpool
    We are the Arsenal and we are the best
    We are the North Bank so fuck off the rest.

My question is I think there was a second verse but I cannot remember the words. Am I correct and if so, what were the words?

IF we get there Neamann and IF I can’t get a ticket to the real thing, I’d be up for it.

I think Gn5 is in the London area, I’m downtown TO. Where are you?

31. arnie says:

GN5: you are very generous. comments have been shocking over the past several weeks. you generously did 2 posts in two days, What a poor return to such fantastic posts both days. personally, I have been one of the guilty individuals, I raise my hands up and apologise. all I can say is you are a big hero. :D :D :D hang my head in shame. :sad:

32. arnie says:

I hope there will be more people around to revel in the tension and celebrate the game together. ahem. I mean celebrate the victory together. :razz:

33. arnie says:

Rocky @ 9:16: well, nobody noticed first time. why are you drawing attention to it! :razz:

34. neamman says:

Hi Rocky I’m in Mississauga

Apologies for not being around to comment on another fine post GN5. The team being chock full of household names struck me as a clear difference between today’s footballers and those of yesteryear.

Without wall to wall media coverage many of today’s “stars” would not be in the position they are. Different eras.

Just watched Moneyball, should probably read the book, but the key thing I took from the film was that John Henry tried to get Beane at the end of the season for the Red Sox, Beane turned him down but the Red Sox won the World Series two years later using Beane’s methods. One of the key things was focussing on attack and not defence, get on base score runs, don’t worry about the defensive side of you can out score your opponents.

As we know Henry now owns Dippers and by all accounts there is a committee set up there to assess player recruiting on a very similar basis, when Rpdgers wanted defenders the committee wanted to give him Sturridge, and he rejected it at first, and then the committee for him in the next window. Sturridge when at Chavs would have suited Moneyball stats, high goals per game ratio, and the committee’s desire to our score the opponent is working for them right now. Not sure whether it gets them over the finishing line, unlike Beane’s A’s they do not have to win the last game to win the League, they only need to win the most League games.

If it works I think we could see a lot of clubs adopt the methodology.

Bloody iphone typos! If you can’t work just replace of’s with it’s and our with got and ……..

37. arnie says:

Red Nose on Arsene: “His undoubted love of the game was always apparent but his abundant energy and desire over all of those years has allowed him to survive in such an intense profession.

“Of course, his ability as a coach, manager and teacher have brought huge successes to Arsenal. However, it is his convictions, beliefs and philosophies that will always remind me that he is a special person. Someone who set out his way at a great football club and produced some wonderful players and teams.”

38. arnie says:

Wenger’s 999 games v Red Noses first 1,000 (Source: Beebs)
    Games Wins Draws Losses For Against Win %
    Arsenal 999 572 235 192 1845 961 57.3
    ManUre 1,000 564 248 188 1784 944 56.4

39. arnie says:

all scrambled, oh dear! :sad:

Frank Clark (former Nottingham Forest manager) on Wenger: “Don’t forget players get bored of the same voice. So you either have to reinvent yourself or change your players. You do not survive in the way he has and achieve success without a ruthless streak and the courage to back your convictions.

“It just shows that you have to appoint a manager who has a philosophy and who knows the club’s philosophy. If you don’t, you will get conflict sooner rather than later. Here is an example of two philosophies marrying together perfectly.”

40. arnie says:

Gerry Francis (former TotNumb boss) on Arsene: “I had agreed to sign Emmanuel Petit and had met him and he was coming to Tottenham, the deal was done. Arsene though had been with Petit at Monaco and he spoke to him and that was that. At the time it was a big blow and he became instrumental for them so I wasn’t too happy, but we laughed about it recently.

“You cannot explain what being a football manager is like. I say to people it’s like having a baby. Unless you’ve given birth and know what it’s like, you have no real idea of what’s involved. The pressure is relentless, year in, year out, so to handle that for 1,000 games at one club is remarkable.”

a little bit of respect. all quotes from Beebs.

41. arnie says:

Will Maureen be on the touch line tomorrow? Hope not, should not, he has seen a red card last week! That way, Arsene will not have to shake his hand!

42. arnie says:

GN5: I was anticipating the 1950 FA Cup today. Maybe you have kept that aside for the FA Cup final this year. In that case, excellent decision, Sir! :D

GN5

This is what you have done:

“The Arsenal team was chock full of Internationals and household names”

Well, before your series began in the summer, these players were not household names to me. They are now, and I’m a better Gunner for it. So thank you.
    I could copy and paste my sorry not around, busy, thing from yesterday, but this’ll do :-)

Chas

“With the chav game being an early kick-off, a good result would make for a smashing weekend. Anything else and footie will be off the menu until Tuesday”

Mmmm, so it’s lights out at 2:30 pm :-(
    Not a bad idea, I’ll get here early Tuesday, puff the cushions up and slap the kettle on :-)

Oh yes, loved the wave vid.

No need to talk about the FAC because as Evonne rightly says, it’s in the bag.

We’ve been celebrating for nearly two weeks now :-)

It was more the beating Chelsea bit I was interested in.

Need a good conversation starter. Mmm, I know, stick up a gripping twenty minute vid

Have to say, I think we might get thrashed today, so lucky we’ve got the Cup safely in the lock-up.

Can’t work out if my mind is playing tricks on me with a bit of reverse psycho shit, or what

Morning Al

Must be that smoked stuff you have been eating, psychosis tends to linger.

The vid was for people to watch when the blog is quiet, UK. :)

Is Al back?

Reverse psycho, how apt.

Micky
    Are you trying to put a bok on the FA Cup?

chas. Too late. If we don’t win it we know who to blame and it won’t be the players

Thing is, I’m going through a confused phase thinking I might be gay, as I’ve developed a full blown case of enjoying hunting for antiques on ebay, so just bear with me, uk :-)

Morning Al

Not trying to pre-anything the Raddy line up, but are both Arteta and Flamini fit?

I can’t see the point in antiques. What do you do with them once you’ve got them? Look at them for a bit hoping they go up in value and then flog them?

Oh bum … PM to write just as I was settling into thinking about “what is my favourite film?”.

Micky. I am going to Scandinavia’s biggest antiques fair his morning. Anything I can help with?

No, use the buggers.

Oh Raddy, I’m soooo jealous :-)

Back to the gay thing.

What was your last purchase and what have you used it for?

65. White Bear says:

I wish it was tomorrow already. So very scared :(
    I know I told you a few times about my ex-boss (he is always in my head,, so you can suffer a bit too), a true Chelsea supporter that we had fallen out over football. Terrific guy, but I hate him. I so want us to beat them at the Bridge!! I can imagine him crying, bliss

66. White Bear says:

you is not gay Micky, just have an addictive personality – takes one to know one. You can buy all the ‘antiques’ I bought on ebay from me; tonnes of useless, worthless, ugly things that I paid a small fortune for. Half price to you

A Georgian table. Beautiful. Very elegant. Used to home one of my zillion antique chess sets. Next?

White stick
    Once you use the reverse psycho and realise we’re going to get thrashed, all the tension disappears.

69. White Bear says:

handbags Micky, very addictive

Ah, I see, stand them on top of one another. Very clever.

71. White Bear says:

Pervie – too easy

Easy is good

Knowledge is Truth

Losing is Triumph

Can’t do “job lots” Evonne. No fun, plus I’m easily the most critical person I know and am very selective.

76. White Bear says:

madness all around

Right, off to annoy some chaps with huge moustaches at the gym.

78. White Bear says:

perfectionist, takes one to know one :) Careful DidIt, there is a medical term for it

perv – why are we going to get thrashed?

Chas

Ha ha, you’re so right. I really do think we’re going to get hammered, simply because they have more goal scorers.

Thing is, I’m already so over it :-)

Evonne, Dearest. Please tell me you have a thing for handbags :-)
    Women who don’t are lezzos, and as gay as I may be, I’ve no time for short haired women.

80. White Bear says:

how will you annoy them?

81. White Bear says:

hundreds of handbags. I only know one woman that has more than me(Peaches’ relative). I put a few of them on eBay with free postage. They sold for 99p each and I had to pay £8 to post!! Ejeet.
    I still think I am a lesbian, find men so off putting

Bend over in front of them with a “in yer dreams yer Freddie Mercury style sicko” post-it note stuck on his butt

83. White Bear says:

ha ha ha :) Perv wouldn’t do it, he is too PC

99p each. Ha ha. Quality were they? ROLF

Has Micky finally lost it?

Keep him talking Evonne and I’ll alert the authorities :)

Right lots to do this morning, take Mrs Exiles car in for service, bus back, get my car to tyre place and sort slow puncture, be a daddy for a bit so I can sit and watch footy in peace. May not bother with footy as now I know we have been thrashed it’s no biggy. :D

What have I said Exile :-)

88. White Bear says:

GiE – “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

They were about £100 each when new. 2 were brand new with tags.

Oh no Exile, must watch the game, you just never know. Only a pleasant surprise awaits

As Chas says, lose, and we all hide until Tuesday. Oh, and Evonne, if you speak to Peaches and we lose, tell her the answer to the match report is “No” :-)

Did you walk around with your bags labels on?

91. White Bear says:

These big games are often a disappointment. Too much at stake and both teams cautious not to make any mistakes. Could be a nil all today

I’m going to wave a copy of Antiques Monthly under their noses when they’re trying to bench press 300lbs.

Make that 5-0 to them, and it’s almost inevitable you’ll feel better about the actual outcome.

Chas :-)

95. arnie says:

Motning all. :D :D

Madness all around. Madness is bliss. Results is already known. Pre-post-report-review must be in place as well.

BTW, where is Kelsey?

OK, back to behind the sofa….. :D

Today I am on the hunt for antique door handles and some lighting, but already know I will end up saying “you want how much for that piece of crap – you are a bounder and a thief and your mother would be ashamed of you – your only way io salvation would be to sell it to me at half price”.

It is a tactic I have tried many times but is yet to work

98. arnie says:

I am on the hunt for antique frames for 1001 art exhibition posters that I have collected in the past few years!!!! :razz: Good luck, Raddy. It is actually good fun. :D

I have decided to start every day by playing the sea clip that Chas posted yesterday.

John Maus (Hey Moon) never heard of it before, it’s become my new found morning therapy.

Holly the pig

arnie. It will help get me through the hours pre-match. I have been to antique auctions all over Europe but rarely buy as we have a minimalist lifestyle. But it is great fun looking and it is possible to find stuff at fairs – I have built up a fine collection of old Arsenal pin badges (how droll :-( )

102. arnie says:

yesterday, I referred to someone as gay, and was quickly corrected that he is (actually was) an androgyne. So had to look up what it meant. :razz:

chas. Your introduction of the surfing vids was a brilliant idea. We have seen some wonderful nature and “interesting” ( = mad) surfers

arnie. 8.07. On that subject may I recommend Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

105. arnie says:

pretty good, Raddy, will check up.

Wow,
    The days comments quota more than doubles on the early motning session. Guess we’re busy people.

Chas introduced the first surfing vid on here did he Raddy?
    :-)

Ok, off out. Back for the game.

109. arnie says:

ok, mrs out of the way, off to a political rally in Glasgow. the day all to myself now. so, whats on offer? Raddy’s pre-match, eagerly awaited, will take up some quality time. And then the game.

But where do I watch it? Some stream, perhaps, at home, all to myself and AA. Second option, some BT pub. the one in Dundee centre is not an option. I was racially abused there a couple of months back. Mind you, only the fourth time this has happened to me in 13 years that I have lived in the UK. First time St James Park in Newcastle, during a Newcastle-Arsenal game, I think in 2002 or 2003. Second, in Trafford Cente, Manchester. Third, inside an M&S in Lancaster. And the pub in Dundee was the fourth, which is therefore not an option.

So, where then? A BT pub I know in St Andrews does good pub food as well. Maybe, that is what I should do. The 20 mile drive will settle nerves as well. :D :D

arnie. That is 4 times too many.

111. arnie says: