The end is nigh. Nine Premier League games remaining. What are we after?

I cast my mind back to the final stretch last season, and we were in a battle for Top Four. For the sake of this discussion, I’d like to put aside the hunt for Trophies, and delve deeper into what there is to look forward to.

Following the loss to Spurs a year ago, momentous events followed. Principally, was the cementing of the partnership between Mertesacker and Koscielny. This was in tandem with a new found restraint from our Full Backs who proceeded to show more discipline.

What was laid in those final nine games, were the foundations of a new defensive stability that continued to serve us so well into this seasons’ campaign.

Apart from the sunny Spring time fixtures, the meeting up with chums and the inevitable excitement that any game of football brings, I wonder what little gems lie in wait.

Injuries present opportunities, and the largest recipient this season has been The Ox. He has benefited from injuries to both Aaron as well as Theo. Might the remaining fixtures see him finding a definitive starting position for next season? Talking of definitive positions, we have the Jack issue.

Looking across the midfield, I still wonder who is the No 10 of choice. I understand there is a fluidity in this area, but with all the injuries to key players, I certainly don’t know how my First XI would line up. I have a feeling we will begin to see the real Mesut emerge as the midfield pivot around which all that is good orbits.

I can also see Gnabry getting more playing time, and have a gut feeling he is one of those players that will rise to the top very quickly. Remember the Aaron of last season, and we see how certain players can suddenly blossom.

Like the pairing of Kos and Mert, it can be an unforeseen partnership that emerges, and this can happen in small couplings anywhere on the pitch, which is why I see a possibility of this between Mesut and Serge.

Now, how about some dark horses. Kellstrom and Diaby, who peaches informs us is at altitude not skiing. With Aaron returning, how will the midfield set up?

With some mouthwatering encounters around the corner, there remains much fun to be had. Who knows where we end up, but I reckon, as with last season, there are surprises in store outside of the results themselves.

Prior to the Spurs game and the wonderful blast of a goal from Mr T. Rosicky, I would have liked to see a couple of long rangers, but another one or two wouldn’t hurt. Oh, and is there any chance a genuinely quality free kick specialist might emerge in the mould of Noddy Talbot? That would be long overdue and a real bonus.

The one thing I’d like to see more than anything over the remaining fixtures would be a new found venom from the true fans towards the early leavers. A mass mocking, naming and shaming, a Faceoff Campaign, anything. Some suggestions on how to deal with this, my biggest beef, and a real solution would leave my season ending on an even higher note.

Written by MickyDidIt

66 Responses to The end is nigh. Nine Premier League games remaining. What are we after?

1. RC78 says:

First and foremost, let us please win the FA Cup on April 12th!

As for the league, I think that the Top 4 is more or less secured.

Now, the idea is to win the EPL but I do believe that we will finish 4th because our team is depleted and our firepower is limited.

What are we after until the end of the season?

- Let us win at least 7 out of 9 games (+ 1 draw) and see where we finish in the league
    - Take the opportunity to mould OX into a key player of our squad either in midfield or upfront and prepare players such as Gnabry and Sanogo to become reliable EPL players for next year
    - Find the right balance in midfield as I still feel that we are missing a creative spark
    - Identify the 3-4 players needed for next year and already bind them before the transfer season is officially open
    - Identify the players that we need to get rid of but here is my list:
    — Fabianski is leaving on his own consent – sad but we gotta cope
    — Vermaelen may leave as well – sad but gotta cope
    — Diaby should and can leave
    — Bendtner, Park, Myachi should and can leave
    — Podolski is set to leave as well

So this is what I would be after b4 the season ends :-)

This was written by RC78 late this morning re: yesterdays post. He makes a very good point and it would be a shame for it to get missed ….

Although Suarez, Sturrige and especially Robben do dive or go down easily, they are all wonderful players with pace, trickery and a good eye for goals and they creat goal-scoring opportunities for themselves and others. We do not have one player of this caliber among our squad up front at the moment (we may be able to argue the case in favour of Walcott…)…

- Giroud will finish off moves and will provide some assists but he will not creat opportunities for himself and he not really pacey nor can he dribble past players…I will not comment on Bendtner…
    - Podolski is also a mysetry but in general, he is not that pacey nor a good dribbler but he has a ferocious shot and is quite lethal when playing as 9 but still, he s not in the same league as Suarez or even Sturridge…
    - Sanogo – good potential but not a dribbler nor a pacey player and definitely not a creator.

OK – we do not have players that are divers but we also do not have anyone that can create chances for themselves nor that can dribble past players easily (Cazorla and Ozil are not having the best seasons to be honest and Walcott is injured)…At the end of the day, I would rather have one Suarez or Robben in my team that may go down easily but that creates tons of chances than the other way around…Let us be honest here and not only focus on their acting antics…

If Suarez or Robben played for us, we would be sitting top of the table…

Sorry all for a very hurried post.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’m not sure the FA would allow us to see Mesut and Serge coupling on the pitch. :D

Great post Micky!

Hurried? It is a very good post and leaves much to discuss. ….. which I will do later!

What excites me is that (contrary to RC78′s opinion) we have players who have the courage to run at the opposition – Ox, Gnabry, Walcott, Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla, JW and Gibbs.

I want to see more of the same.

What is very worrying for JW is that The Ox is taking his position in the midfield. My starters (if fit) would be Ramsey, Ox, Ozil and Cazorla with Arteta as DM. And Cazorla or Ox dropping to the bench when Walcott returns.

Or perhaps …. OG on the bench and Theo in the middle. Mmmmmm this is an exciting thought process with which to start my work day.

Micky

I notice that you carefully omitted the spearhead of our attack, the one and only Ollie “I playaway” Giroud ;) or the pending announcement of Wenger signing an extension of his contract,which may not exactly be relevent to your post but in all probability he will stay,especially as Ramsey and Cazorla have had new extended contracts announced this week.

I have stated many times that a top team is built on a firm and understanding defence who play together as a unit, and we have seen a huge improvement in this aspect of our game except on two noticeable occasions.
    Wenger cannot change his style completely. We are known as a quick passing push and move team with a high proportion of possssion but in recent games we have often had a lower proportion of possession and our game has changed quite dramatically.
    Wenger does not encourage long range shooting as that doesn’t fit with his philosophy of play,yet so many many times we scream at players to shoot instead of making that extra pass

One game at a time till the end of the season and even allowing for injuries this is where AW really has to chose his starting eleven carefully as well as his subs, and not be so predictable as to how we play..

Early leavers: There are pros and cons to that debate. Many travel a long distance by train and are restricted by time table times as to when they must leave,others stay to the bitter end regardless of the score and there was that famous exodus at half time when liverpool were 3-0 down in the CL Final.
    I don’t things have changed since I first started attending,some will stay and some will leave early for a number or reasons.

7. Shubham says:

Three important things in the to do list for Arsenal to end their trophy drought:

1. Don’t loose to the near rivals like Chelsea, ManC and even Everton
    2. Be imperious against the lower sides particularly at home
    3. No complacency while playing Wigan in the FA cup semi final

The rest will take care of itself. COYG!!

Some very interesting questions Micky. The subject of Jack’s place in the team – in fact of his fitness in general, is a topic all in itself.

We do need pace, guile and attacking intent from our AM’s. Without the Ox at the moment, we would have little going forward. You are right, this is his chance to shine for Arsenal and book his place on the plane to Brazil. He’s got everything, if he can stay fit, he will progress to a first choice Arsenal midfielder (possibly at Jack’s expense). And Gnabry is very much in the same mould, I hope we can keep hold of him.

9. Dundonald Gooner says:

We were at the Newcastle game in 2011 and when BSR scored after 26 minutes to make it 4-0 there were some Toon supporters who started leaving the ground….

10. wally says:

Not sure what the intent of the article was.

If we’re talking about the future we need to have more people capable of running beyond the defensive line. While Giroux has been heroic in effort he’s no danger when it comes to taking the ball, turning and running beyond. The only players we’ve had this year who’ve done that consistently are walcott and ramsey. We need more of that, especially if we’re to take advantage of the Wizard of OZ.
    Our defensive solidity has improved greatly but can still get better. Sagna is gone and I won’t miss him. He still gets to far forward with the resulting diagonal in behind him leaving the centre-halves split. And we need another fullback on the left side, Gibbs gets hurt far too often to be reliable.
    And finally i’d like to see someone with a dominant personality emerge and lead the team, be ‘the guy’ that drives the team forward the way Viera (as an example) once did.
    I’m really pleased with the team and it’s evolution this year.

Wally,

Great comment and I’m in complete agreement with you – and its unusual for me to agree with anyone 100%.
    I really like “The Wizard of Ox” title – sounds like the start of a post by one of our writers – maybe someone who resides in Toronto?

Well done Micky for starting the day of with an interesting topic – although it appears that most people have gone back to sleep.

What I want from a new Left Winger is this …. not much to ask:-)

Not much to ask – simply a clone?

14. jnyc says:

I want revenge on Mourihno for so many losses, obnoxious statements and overall bad football. . A simple way to get revenge, beat them this week. Especially while they are down. How sweet that would be. Nobody expects us to win, so we have the motivation, and we should play with much less pressure than them.
    That’s what I want for this week.

15. RC78 says:

I would be happy with a draw at Chelsea…The positive thing is that Oscar and Ramires are out so Jose will have to play an experimental midfield, probably with the Serb guy, Mikel and Lampard – steely but not really creative. The creative work will be done by Hazard and Schurrle or Willian and I am hoping that we will manage to subdue them. We have to be focused on set-pieces as I think that the main threat will be coming from there…

All and all, a draw will not be a bad result for us as we will still be in the hunt…

I would play:

Szecesny – Sagna, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Rosicky, Flamini, Arteta – Ox, Giroud, Cazorla

16. RC78 says:

Guyz – do you think that Joel Campbell can become one of our leading strikers next year? He is doing OK in Greece

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

To answer micky’s headline question…..twenty seven points and two wins at Wemberleee. :D

Is that too much to ask for?

RC78. I do not think Joel Campbell will be our main striker next season,though it will be very interesting to see if AW will bring him back to Arsenal.

He likes Sanogo and will (I hope, fingers crossed etc etc) buy a world class striker to play alongside Ozil

That was a good read Micky, thanks.

As for the Jack issue, I hope he comes back fitter and stronger than ever and if he warrants a place in the team he should get it.

But what seriously worries me…………….

Is that because he is regarded as such a prized asset of the future he gets special treatment; he is played when there are better options and this has resulted in Arsenal dropping points.

Not recently. Before his injury he had been filling in for the injured Ramsey, Chamberlain and Diaby, no, not then, I mean earlier in the season.

Jack Wilshere on the left wing…………….please.

This is not the only example but it does help make my point quickly.

20. jnyc says:

Btw, I know he hasn’t put the ball in the net for us yet, but I have a feeling there is something about sanogo. Of course that’s bolstered by the fact that arsene clearly sees something. I still want a big time striker bought. A team as big as ours can’t only rely on a future hopes.
    I like giroud, but I would use his indiscretion as excuse to sell him and upgrade. Maybe mandzukic or better .
    If podolski goes, I will be very sad to see his spirit and personality gone. Maybe replace him with someone Arsene would use more.
    And I can’t imagine tommy v staying, because he’s too good to sit as much as he does. He can be first choice in many places. Maybe Barcelona?
    Easy enough to find a top cb, very hard to get a quality 3rd choice. If Arsene rotated jenks more, sagna could be that guy. But if he’s going to start almost every match at rb, he can’t be third cb, possibly fourth?
    For now, I’m enjoying our title challenge, no matter how little chance the media give us, we’re right there :-)
    — this week the special one is the nervous one.

21. jnyc says:

Did anyone scout Morata yesterday. ? He looks skillful, quick, fast, but a bit young and lightweight.
    Less important goals or misses.
    With Jese injury, I wonder if it affects availability. Jese seems to be played more on wing and Morata at striker.

22. Joe says:

All Giroud has to do to be a mid-twenties striker is to score 5-6 goals in our remaining games so why would Arsenal let him go.

Cheers, Micky.
    What an excellently diverse post.

I’d love to see us achieve a goodly points total and perform to our abilities in the FA semi. Who knows what could happen?
    I’d also like to have plenty more joyful meetings-up with fellow gooner chums .
    I’d absolutely love an away ticket for Carrow Road.

I’m not sure Mesut is suited to being the the pivot of the midfield. He seems to me to be more someone who likes to wave his wand from the outskirts, subtlely but crucially influencing proceedings. Though I like your idea of him linking up with Gnabbers; he fits the bill as one of these players who might benefit from a Mesmertron.

Love that last line Johnny

LB:

Re Jack:

“he gets special treatment; he is played when there are better options and this has resulted in Arsenal dropping points.”

Your comment is made to sound as though its a fact where its just an opinion.

My opinion is that we have one of, if not, the most envied mid-fields in the EPL. Even with our injuries its still difficult to choose their best positions and who are the ideal combinations – and if they are all fit its nigh on impossible.

We can only thank our 999 game manager for their creation and nurturing them into what we see today – and they are still not the finished article.

I have no problem with the way he has handled Jack in fact I have a bigger issue with seeing Santi’s skills wasted on the left wing but then again we have so many mid-field riches to choose from that somebody is bound to play where they are not best suited.

Its the nature of the beast AW has created.

This is being recommended on twitter.
    I haven’t listened to it myself but intend to.
    Yeah, I know it’s Talksport.

GN5

All of my comments are obviously mere opinions, it would be silly to reference every single one as being such.

GN5

I have just read your comment again and I find it interesting that you express concern about Cazorla being wasted out on the left.

I agree completely, last season Cazorla, the player of the season, played where?

So who came back and forced the most two footed player we have at the club out to the wing?

And by the way, it’s not Ramsey; he was already playing and playing very well in the latter part of last season.

After being married for thirty years, a wife asked her husband to describe her.

He looked at her for a while, then said,
    “You’re like an alphabet wife ….. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K.”

She asks … “What the hell does that mean?”

He said, “Adorable, Beautiful, Cute, Delightful, Elegant, Fabulous, Gorgeous, and Hot”.

She smiled happily and said …
    “Oh, that’s so lovely, but what about I,J,& K?”

He said, “I’m Just Kidding!”

The swelling in his eye is going down and the doctor is fairly
    optimistic about saving one of his testicles.

LB:

I recognize that but that does not mean that we dropped points because of that single decision – as we are both aware there are many different ways to drop points.

It’s well worth listening to that Talksport clip, very, very good.

Well GN5, I genuinely think we have dropped points. I am not trying to change your mind; but, it is, and will remain, my view.

LB;

Your comments will not change my opinion as there are simply too many varying factors involved in dropping points with positional choices being just one.

Rasp,

I sent you a message – I hope its not too late.

Horrible watching the Mancs first half. The luck has returned to OT.

36. OMGArsenal says:

We actually don’t need another ¨better¨striker, which is a fallacy that has been making the rounds since Wenger bought him 2 years ago. We DO need to work on our accuracy in shooting. The Ox had 4 clear opportunities to score cleanly against the Spuds last weekend and I don’t think he even hit the side netting, never mind the net. Giroud also tends to miss more than he hits the net. We need these guys to go to the Tomas Rosicky school of scoring. He may not score very often but he can hit the target with precision….that was what TH14 had ahead of all other strikers in his time. He could place the ball perfectly in chosen spot regardless of what pressure he was under. Ozil is also able to place his shots well and Podolski can occasionally do this as well. IF Gnabry ever develops that skill or Sanogo, for that matter, then we won’t be wasting our time moaning about Giroud orour ¨need¨ for another striker.

37. neamman says:

Sadly its not easy to find a special striker. OG already has 18 goals and hopefully willo end up with 20-22. How many other players are there who could do better and how much would they cost?

I’m back working, so not around as much as I usually am.

Ah ha, so it appears Brave was trying last night. There’s a surprise.

Funnily enough, I was at some business seminar shitballs until late last night and was speaking to a Utd fan (regular home gamer at OT). In no uncertain terms, he said how disinterested Brave has been in the league.

Chas

Back working eh?

Well I hope you are not going to make a habit of such a filthy idea.

Mind you, my blogging has nosedived recently. I, too, must break free from such distractions asap

Filthy indeed

Here’s a bloody thought before I go.

Some say “isn’t it wonderful how Ollie tracks back and uses his height to help out at corners and whatnot”

Moi: No. It’s rubbish. Maybe this why the poor smutty frenchie is knackered.

Get a 6’2″ defensive midfielder and Ollie can stay put on the half way line and remain fresh and virile.

44. White Bear says:

it is becoming scary with the CL outcome – Chavs and United can actually WIN it, Please Dennis, please no. don’t let them, ,they are shite

45. White Bear says:

good hurried post DidIt, thanks. Mouth watering fixtures, injuries presenting opportunities and name-shaming own fans. Lovely. could not agree less :)

We are in the horrible situation of wanting BSR to be fit to be able to face City.

I am one of the few who still believes we can win that League thingy.

Morning all, interesting thoughts Micky.

For the rest of the season as many wins as possible, and let’s see. We will not be finished after the games against Chavs and City. Come out of them still in reach of the summit and we have a good run in.

Most worrying are the injuries we have racked up in recent weeks.

In the early part of the season the injuries seemed to help with team selection, Ox out Theo fit, Santi out but Jack was fit etc. now they have all come at once.

I am not worried about Ox’s emergence preventing opportunities for others as I think it will be good if we can have as many interchangeable players as possible. We need to start rotating more which will help all players from picking up wear and tear injuries and mean that when necessary players can be rested.

I would like to read a post and get to vote on how we see or what we want from Oliie/New striker next season. I don’t know how to write that kind of post where as others seem to write them effortlessly.

Haha, could not agree less. :)

Morning all

I was pretty sure United would win against a pretty average team who have a disastrouus away form in Europe.

Our boy didn’t look that impressive to me (Campbell) and United will get found out.

Was RVP playing for a new contract or putting on a show to European bidders who were watching,anyway who cares.

They are basically a two man team when they feel up to it in Rooney and RVP and deGea is a good keeper.They need at least 6 players next Summer but will they let Moyes do what AVB did at Spurs and more to the point will the Glazers invest heavily.

My daughter has an extremely complicated procedure today so I doubt I will be back on after 9.00 this morning.

I would add that there is more than a rumour that Kit Night Rider Kallstrom will be in the squad on Saturday

chas

interesting subject. His stats are admirable, his private life is to say interesting,but his main attributes are poor. Sanogo might overtake him to lead the attack sometime next season, but I doubt AW will get a clinical striker for one main reason and that is money and Chelsea will make that a priority for them, and other areas need strengthening.
    Both full backs are a main issue. Gibbs needs to remain fit,which is unlikely and Monreal isn’t a cover for him as to me he isn’t a class act when defending,especially against good teams. Then though opinion is split,weighing everything up I was hoping Sagna would stay but if he doesn’t Jenkinson though full of promise isn’t ready to step into his shoes.

52. White Bear says:

good luck to Poppy xxx

Kels – “our boy didn’t look that impressive to me” – before I read the rest of the sentence I thought you were referring to the treacherous Dutchman and was ready to jump to your throat

Ok, so the Mancs are 2.5 men team. Can they still win the CL?

Thanks Evonne .

54. Shard says:

Morning everyone,

I’ve been keeping my blogging to a minimum mainly because I don’t have much to say (that’s a first eh?) , and I’ve been compiling some data which might lead to an article at the end of the season, although I’ve been doing it mostly to satisfy my own curiosity and I don’t really know what I’ll come up with, if anything.

I watched the ManU game last night and ManU are a terrible team. They won with a convincing scoreline, but I think they were lucky. A penalty and a GK error on the free kick. Some chances spurned by Olympiakos. Sadly, I don’t think they can beat City. (You’re not alone LB) Even with BSR and Rooney trying. Although who knows if referees get involved.

I though Joel Campbell showed enough to suggest that he’s worth a place in the squad next year, despite having a lot of learning left to do. I’m with Micky on getting a tall DM (Also dark and handsome?),

I also feel we need either a high class winger, or a high class striker. Winger is probably easier to get, and if we can sign a relatively unknown but good finisher, like Eduardo, I’ll be very happy.

So … to sum up what we are after:

We win the League and Cup double.

AW and Sagna to re-sign contracts, or if Bacary doesn’t sign

We buy a Right Back who can cross and defend

We buy a Tall, Dark & Handsome Defensive Midfielder

We buy a Left Winger with a goal threat.

We buy a World Class Striker.

Not much then :-D

Morning Shard. Hope you rediscover your “voice”.

Chas. Congratulations upon finding work in these difficult times. Find your feet and then Prioritise because AA Needs You.

57. White Bear says:

“We buy a Tall, Dark & Handsome Defensive Midfielder” – make it top of the list :)

and add – knock us off the top of the injury table, preferably relegate us from there altogether

58. Vinay says:

How about buyinga medical team? that can sort a lot of our issues.
    Honestly we need around 5-6 players, may sound a lot but fact is we have good players but not great, if we want to be a great and consistent team, we need great players.
    Right back- everyone knows why, who- well coleman, pizcek, montoya seem to be the names thrown around.
    GK- Iker Casillas pleaseeeeeee
    Holding Midfielder- Lars Bender/Matuidi/Gundogan
    Left Winger- greizmann and can i dare to say reus, dont care which wing where he plays, reus will be a dream come true.
    Striker- Morata/Remy/Benteke.
    Immediate future, we need to win the FA cup and i think we can win the league if we get 7 points in the next 3 games, need to beat city and swansea at home, chelshit hopefully a draw.

The biggest problem ManUre have is that they had to turn to a 40 year old midfielder last night. Giggs is a freak of nature and a fine footballer probably the least SAF’d of the lot. Which is strange considering he played under him for so long.

As got our striker Chas posted some stats that indicated he has a better scoring record than Drog in 6 of his 8 seasons in the PL, not only that but he does more to bring others into the game than Drog did.

Realistically our attack has faltered in recent weeks not because of Oli per se but because the runners off of him are not there.

So the plan b we need is a couple of Theo’s or Gnabry’s in the squad to give that alternative.

For me a lot of it stems from the defence and the defensive midfielders, as soon as they go into defensive mode it becomes a lot harder for our attacking midfield to be decisive. Think that’s why Flamster is so often encouraging the midfield to squeeze so the defense have room to squeeze too, and we are a lot closer to the AMs if they lose possession.

60. Shard says:

Thanks BR.

kelsey – hope everything goes well with Poppy today x

chas – working!!!! Oh no ….. your body will suffer you know ;)

However hard BSR and Rooney were working last night it was Giggs that made the magic. I’m disappointed to think that the Manchester derby is likely to be very one-sided …….. with the blue half being victorious but football is a funny old game :)

62. I agree with GiE that the biggest problem for Olly has been that without Theo and Rambo he is largely isolated and can’t be expected to work miracles with two CB’s working hard to stop him seeing any of the ball.

63. …. and LB, I’m whispering, but I’m with you on winning the league ;)

“Saying that, I do agree with whoever said that The Ox could benefit from some shooting practice but hey he’s a footballer, he probably does that anyway.”

Seems a distinct possibility!

65. We have a New Post …………….