Bayern: A Fan’s View.

The draw for the next round of the Champions League was about to be made. Please, please Munich or Madrid. Two sides I’d love to see us beat, and two Cities I’d love to visit.

I packed light. Scarf, wallet, passport, ticket, fags, lighter, Nicorette gum, e-cigarettes and a lightweight tunnelling shovel just in case.

We lift off from Bristol Airport at 2pm on the Monday, and I’m in my hotel in the middle of Munich by 6pm local time. My chum Max doesn’t arrive until Tuesday evening, so I head to the bar where there are already gathered ten or more committed drinking Gunners. Three of us head into town and explore a wonderful City. We launch into a heart stopping Bavarian Meat Fest of epic quality and then back out into town. We visit every one of the famous beer halls (thanks for the tip YanMan), and eventually roll back into the hotel in the early hours.

Match Day. Kick off not until 20:45 local time, so plenty of time to explore. I opted for the two hour trip to Mount Wank. The train journey South and West to The Alps takes you through absolutely stunning countryside. Past Lakes and then into the foothills before journeys end. Turns out Mount Wank is little more than a pimple, so I opt to head up The Zugspitze (Germany’s highest peak at over 9,000 feet with views over four countries).

DSC_0362

Step One. I board the small mountain train that climbs the steep snowy base before entering a tunnel gouged through the heart of the mountain itself. Being the only passenger not in heavy footwear and florescent arctic clothing, looks in my direction are curious. Emerging in some ski resort or other, I then head to the cable car for the final push. At this point, curious looks turned to something more sinister. Now I don’t know if any of you have ever in your youth boarded a tube train in rush hour, with dyed orange and black hair, reeking of fish with every square millimetre of your hands bloodied and scabbed, having done a day’s work with sea lions, but I have, and the feeling is one of being highly toxic and infectious. The unsurprising upside is that you find yourself, as I did in the cable car, with a lot of space to yourself and the most terrific choice of views.

Wow, the view from the top was breathtaking on a perfect day. I felt fantastic. Things were going well.

DSC_0370

I managed to re-join one old mate as well as my new chums back in the hotel bar around 18:00.

Off to the match and a fast thirty minute express train to the outskirts of the city. Emerging from the underground, the Stadium comes into view. Perhaps half a mile away, it sits isolated on a barren plain sitting there like some squashed glowing poisonous tropical fruit. It is impressive in its Bayern Red luminous robes.

Stadium

I’m guessing there were three odd thousand Gooners high in the North End behind the goal. For me, our vocal support was somewhat muted in its potential as there were two distinctive areas of noisy support, and being divided by a quieter central group, we never managed to sync and get maximum volume. Nevertheless, we did our best against overwhelming numbers. Incidentally, and perhaps it was just on this occasion, but the Bayern support was nothing like as colourful or vocal as we experienced in Dortmund. Having said that, they all remained until the very end. Now it’s worth remembering, that this Stadium is a 40 minute tube ride to the main Munich rail station, and also, that kick off is a full hour later. Mmmm.

DSC_0383

Needing to be at the airport at 14:00 on the final day, there was time to explore the City. It really is a lovely place. Stunning architecture and very friendly people. Time to visit a Palace, and track down some chocolate to bring home. Sitting outside a café in the sun, I pondered the difference between Munich and London. Striking to me was the absence of road markings and hideous signposts everywhere. The lack of traffic wardens and surveillance cameras. Uncluttered by ludicrous instructions. It struck me that citizens in Munich are capable of making their own decisions and not nanny stated. Clearly a very personal view, but it appeared to me that people were allocated individual responsibility, and they used it wisely. It was refreshing. I liked the place very much.

Here’s a question to myself. If I knew for absolute certain that The Arsenal were going to win every single game, would I still go? No, I wouldn’t. We lost to the current European Champions, and these things happen. I don’t mind. The team played with passion and pride, and I banked more very happy memories. I was in Dortmund with Raddy when we won, and that was also memorable but for more reasons than just the victory, and next season I want to try again. I met Gooners who were there when we beat Villarreal and Madrid, but they had to witness losses on their travels for that to be possible. This is football, and it is exciting. To make these journeys with fellow Arsenal fans is a privilege.

Thank you Chas and Ant, as without your amazing away support, I would never have been able to go.

Written by MickyDidIt

104 Responses to Bayern: A Fan’s View.

Another wonderful story Micky.

It seems that you take full advantage of your trips and don’t waste a moment, and you always ensure that more than adequate time is allowed to partake in the local delicacies.

The Arsenal did us all proud it was an epic performance and they never gave up trying.

Can i just say what a marvellous couple of days posts from gn5 and micky. Just read both on a train into oslo. Commenting from my phone and soon entering a tunnell so wont say anymore. Tata for now.

An Arsenal supporter, wearing his club jersey after watching his team play, went to a bar. The bar was filled with Bayern supporters.

The owner of the bar, also a Bayern supporter, said to the Arsenal supporter

“We give Arsenal supporters a chance to throw a dice here. If the dice shows the number 1 to 5, then we throw them out of the bar.”

“Well what happens if my dice shows the number 6?”

“We let you have another throw.”

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Brilliant Micky, an absolute treat to read.

5. arnie says:

Absolutely fantastic stuff, Micky. :D Now, that was some trip. I have visited Munich and surrounding Bavaria several times, but I will retrace Micky’s path next time I go. Seems like great fun. :D

Just wondering, Munchen and Madrid, yes, but why not Barca? Quite an exciting city as well, I think. :D :D :D

6. arnie says:

Kelsey said earlier that his stars predicted a ROLF moment or two for today. Support comes from TT’s Mobbollix. 18% predict dropped points by Shitty against Hull, and 14% predict that Chavs will drop points against Villa. :D :D

That’s a lovely story, MichaelWhatDoneIt. :-)

Of course you are being far too modest, yet again, in saying people only avoided you on the cable car with the aid of your sealion like proclivities – no, no, people avoid you because they recognise your inherent charm. :-)

8. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Redders, fantastic: “people avoid you because they recognise your inherent charm”. :D

Great read Micky, thank you.

Polar Bear,

You asked me what the difference is between certainty and ….. not;

— “and one for you RA – what does it mean ‘high degree of certainty’? I thought that certainty is 100% and everything else is uncertainty?”

Mickey also mentioned it in his Post above.

— “If I knew for absolute certain that The Arsenal were going to win every single game, would I ….?”

Well we all know that the concept of certainty clashes with the principle of human intellectual limitation, which posits that human beings cannot know anything to the absolute degree.

The mysterious disappearance of the Malaysian airliner is a case in point. Given the limited information available, the authorities cannot know for certain what happened, but they have ‘a high degree of certainty’ that it flew on for 5 hours after they lost track of it, because it carried on sending identifying signals to a satellite used by the airlines.

Another instance would be a woman having a ‘high degree of certainty that she is pregnant because of physiological changes, but to be certain she would need a pregnancy test.

Certainty is not an absolute, and by definition, uncertainty is not an absolute either.

It could be said that we are uncertain that Arsenal have the team to win the EPL, but we might. So ‘uncertainty’, like ‘certainty’ is not an absolute! :-)

Does that help? :-)

Well now I’m certain that I’m uncertain?
    At least I think I am?
    Well maybe I’m not?

I’ve got to give this some more thought before I can be certain about being uncertain – know what I mean?

12. arnie says:

Redders and GN5: Lovely. I thought I could quickly find a quote from Alice in Wonderland to add to the diacussion, but I could not. Nevertheless had a lovely time reading the conversations between Alice, The Caterpillar and the Pigeon about uncertainty. :D :D :D

One thing that is certain is that the Bayern Munich Chairman got three and a half years for tax evasion :) (70 years earlier,he would have been shot)

Micky in all seriousness that is a wonderful and descriptive story of one fans Away trip and making time to explore the surrounding areas and make astute observations how people live in Munich.

I don’t think I have ever read a football Away game report like this on any other site. Well done.

14. arnie says:

“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?”

15. arnie says:

And finally, I think this is to AA:

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
    “Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
    “How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
    “You must be,” said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    :D :D

16. arnie says:

And there I will stop. :D

Kompany sent off after 8 minutes :)

arnie,

What is the meaning of your 12:46 and your 12:52?

You liked it so much you wrote it twice! :-)

Your 12:48 puts me in mind of Groucho Marx when he said, on being invited to become a member of a select club;

“i could never belong to a club who had me as a member!”

19. Bayonne Jean says:

Hull are rubbish. City loses Kompany for 80 minutes, yet generate no chances. Fernandinho misses a sitter, Dzeko has a breakaway saved, yet City score two anyway — could have been four or five, and all with ten men. Hull couldn’t even figure out City’s high line — constantly offside.

20. arnie says:

Redders: writing twice was an artefact of WordPress. But yes, I liked it. What does it mean? well, I think it captures the notion of “uncertainty” very well. mind you, Lewis Carroll was writing at a time when uncertainty was not a mainstream concept, let alone quantification of uncertainty.

I kike it, or, is it just me? :D

21. arnie says:

very cruel on Cardiff. come on Villa.

“a lightweight tunnelling shovel just in case”, Brilliant.

Lovely read, I just wish I had been there with you.

Only disappointment was no talk of sausages

Evening all.
    Thanks for nice comments. Liked this from Kelsey:
    “I don’t think I have ever read a football Away game report like this”..mmm, what could he mean :-)

Did you enjoy your Malmo game BR?

Actually Raddy, on the sausage front, I wanted to remain upbeat about my experiences, and discussing the German Banger would have fouled that line :-)

They do, however, do good things with Pork. I brought home some wonderful air dried smoked shit :-)

Yes I did thank you. Malmo won 3-2.

What surprised me was that there were so many hooligans at the game and a massive police presence with both dogs and horses. Needless to say it went off but the police just stopped the fans from getting on the pitch whist the nutters threw fireworks at the police and each other.

Good game though. 5 goals a sending off and a fine hotdog.

I thought you could ónly get air dried smoked shit in Nepal and some parts of California :-D

27. arnie says:

Raddy: here is some conspiracy theory. the modern State allows citizens to indulge in controlled hooligan behaviour, mostly relating to sporting events. This releases, in a controlled way, pressures that inevitable build up within society. :razz:

28. arnie says:

on the Chavs game, so far so good.

arnie. I would agree with that method of controlling hooligans. Let them kick two colours out of each other. Problem is that you and I and all taxpayers have to settle their hospital bills!

30. arnie says:

Yes, that is right, Raddy. We foot the hospital bills. And maintenance for hooligans in jail.

If on the other hand, it prevents some loonies from creating more severe collateral damage, examples of which we can all guess, perhaps it is better than the alternative. But, does the state know how fine to cut the cloth? I have my doubts. Most importantly, this threatens to spoil the sporting experience of normal non-violent peace-loving tax-paying citizens like us. :D

arnie. True. Compulsory military service and the birch ……

32. arnie says:

But then, who cares? Sport is most often viewed by the modern western State as a working-class indulgence that needs no support. Even to the extent that they do not allow normal pubs to keep their doors open during late night England games in the World Cup. The reason they cite is precisely that hooligans may create trouble.

Gone are the days that GN5 is painfully and brilliantly documenting for us, when the working class supported sports. It was an expression of their organisation and solidarity, and at the same time it helped to maintain a national spirit during times of strife, and helped rebuild nations afterwards. Sad, but I think, largely true. :sad:

33. arnie says:

Yes, I agree with “Compulsory military service and the birch”. :D

34. White Bear says:

Micky – so you did it! Well done. I thought you’d get lost without Raddy holding your hand, but you made it and back. Trooper

What I don’t understand why you took fags, e-fags and Nicorette gum? Aren’t the last 2 surplus to requirements?

And don’t worry about muted support, we heard you loud and clear!!

Ha ha

Funnily enough Arnie and Raddy, two separate discussions have actually the same conclusion.

Thing is, some conspiracists would argue the State allows Raddy’s smoked shit to sedate hooligans along the lines of Arnie’s theory/

Am I making sense, or have I eaten too much of my smoked shit

36. arnie says:

Raddy: BTW, you may have missed this because you are not in the UK. Following Bob Crow’s death, there have been a couple of very good TV programmes on the miners’ strikes in the 80s. One on BBC which is OK, but the one on ITV I thought was brilliant. You may want to catch it up on IPlayer if you can. Quite balanced and informative, I thought. :D

You here Bear

The other non flammable stimulants are handy in airports, trains and stuff

38. arnie says:

Micky: If the smoked shit encouraged you, even a little bit, to write your post today, it must be fantastic. :D :D :D I am so jealous!!!!!

39. arnie says:

Red card for Willan. Still 0-0. shhhhhh. how are the balls doing, Kelsey? :D

Right must go.

Back bright and early on match day.

Sounds like a great trip Micky even though the result wasn’t brilliant.

You are right in what you say about putting in the yards to get rewards as a fan. If we can’t take defeat we surely shouldn’t be going?

Two pints of coffee this morning Arnie. Usual firm kick start.

Nite all.

43. arnie says:

nite, Micky. :D

44. arnie says:

Aston Villa 1-0 Chelsea – Fabian Delph

yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!!!!!!! :D :D :D hold on, Villa.

45. White Bear says:

OMG – that Ramirez shocker was a SHOCKER!!

GN5 – what did you say about Villa :)

46. arnie says:

RED CARD – Chelsea’s Ramires

47. arnie says:

Maureen sent off as well!!!!!! :D

48. White Bear says:

of course Micky, forgot the non smoking areas nuisance

Villa, Villa, Villa, Villa
    Villa, Villa Villa!!
    Chelsea down to 9 men – take that Maureen

The balls were half right :)

50. arnie says:

ok, now only the small matter of dealing with Spurs tomorrow!!!!! :razz:

51. arnie says:

will do for the moment, Kelsey. :D but Shitty are scary, with 10 men as well. have to admit that. :sad:

Ooooh WillIAn and Ramires out for next week? Nice

Excellent stuff, Micky.
    So true what you say about having to take the rough with the smooth. I’m using the other Zugspitze photo as my phone wallpaper. Simply stunning.

Great result for Villa.
    I’d better go before someone says that tomorrow is now a must-win game for us as the chavs have lost. :)

54. arnie says:

Yes, GiE, and the difference is that we are no longer favourites!!!!! :D :D

55. arnie says:

dont worry, Chas, we have our feet firmly on the ground. we will enjoy the ride, no matter what happens. hopefully, we will put the right foot ahead as well. :D

I think it’s a must win game for us tomorrow :)

57. arnie says:

Maureen banned from the touchline as well next week, so Arsene will not be pressured into shaking his hand? :D

58. White Bear says:

good thinking Kels!!

Holy shmoly I have just seen the Villa result.

That makes it a must win game for us………………….I couldn’t resist.

60. White Bear says:

doh !! just read chas’s comment

it is a must win game tomorrow

Lovely stuff Micky, glad you had a great trip

You strike me as a man of action. Climbing Mountains, constantly in flippers, and doing high raising cable cars

Been that the sight of a ladder makes me feel queer and the last time I went in the sea I and my toupee embarresingly ended up swimming in different directions, the only bit of your post I can relate to is the mountainous wank.

Germany is a great place. I like Germans, they are very respectful people. On holiday they are the only ones who dont use my hairy back as a substitute towel.

Strange day today. Kompany sent off and Demichelis playing, yet City still win with nine men.

Chelsea also end up with nine, but so what? The amount of time they spend diving they rarely have more than eight players erect anyway. Mourino looked really pissed off, doubt he will be feeling erect tonight. Probably have to ring Pele for some advice.

Cant wait for tommorow. I dont like Totnumb. They piss me off with there pretence. What “history” and “glory nights”. Do they mean the fantastic night I found out my first wife had left me for a man who enjoyed Hugh Grant films?

There current side is not very good. Soldildo would be better off making a living as a Human Crow impersonater and Ericksons hair, just like Totnumbs top 4 chances, is doomed.

Tim Sherwoods tactical genius is wasted on them

Come on you Rip Roaring Gunners.

62. arnie says:

Mobbollix now or after Raddy’s pre-match? tough decision!!!! :D :D

63. arnie says:

restrained Terry. “I dont like Totnumb”. understatement of the year so far? :razz:

64. neamman says:

I hitch hiked around Germany in the 60s and loved the place. At every bar we just said we hated the French and it was guaranteed a good nights drinking with the locals. Their Bratwursts are wonderful and the beer…. marvellous. I was only 16 at the time and from then on only drank German style lager, British warm ale just didn’t do it for me any more.

When I read this, I immediately thought of Terry but then realised it wasn’t wacky enough.
    Still, it is quite relevant as derby day dawns.

Btw, I mistyped a word on my 7.39, it should have read,

“……some dickhead says that tomorrow…….” :)

Morning all

Here we are. The Big One.

Neamman,
    While I’m no fan of Real Ale, what I do like is regional and national diversity. I’m really glad Ireland has it’s Black Stuff, England it’s ales with their brilliant names and so on.
    Having said that, like you, I prefer the German stuff.

The Arsenal fitness and coaching staff could learn something from this lad’s warm-up routine. (the dog is an essential part of it)

Micky
    Did you find out if your PC expert had been at another appointment which made him late or was he just late because he couldn’t be arsed to be on time?

The only reason I ask is because I was thinking of setting up something similar in the deep and distant past but realised I’d only be able to commit to one appointment a day. This is because each 10 minute job to sort something computer-wise usually takes 5 or 6 hours at least.

I suppose you’re going to have to get that chap in from Cornwall now that you’ve pissed off the Devon guy. :)

Morning Chas

Weird Maude story.
    That Zugspitze pic was taken on my mobile.
    Few weeks ago, I ent into the camera/techy dept of John Lewis. I asked the expert what price of camera would produce equal quality pics to my phone. I was expecting the answer to be a compact at around £50. I was stunned when he said around £500!
    He said Sony phones have by far the best cameras and amazing technology inside.

All this now fits in your pocket.

Chas

My beef was that he didn’t bother to phone. I never excuse people for being late. I work as little as possible, and to make that happen I am super efficient with my time.

Neil in Cornwall does all my graphic stuff, and knows nothing about pc’s. Keep thinking of switching to Apple, but having decided I wouldn’t supply UK Supermarkets any more, now looks like I may. Thing is, at that level PC’s are a must. They operate EDI systems, and Apple’s cock up the formatting.

This morning I’ve just switched to an old laptop the children use.

Both my Explorer and Chrome are both going like snails and fucking ad’s popping up.

Dickhead……………………bit harsh?

Haha, if the cap fits……..

Soz, just one of my bugbears.
    Those that say there is extra pressure on us to win after a rival has lost. As if every game isn’t a must-win, not taking into account that all games against the spuds are must-win games anyway. :)

Chas

For God’s sake set up a phone service. Thing I like about Apple, is there is one phone, one ipad, one system, and so on, and they al speak the same language.

I have three £900+ laptops and always the best Sony phone. One’s Android, th others windows 7 or 8, and nothing syncs.

A £100 an hour phone service would be brilliant

Sync music. sync pics. save bookmarks so you can just bin programs

Thing is, like my man Neil, he now knows and gets me. Before I used some freak nerd who just didn’t understand how quickly and simply I like to work.

Neil is brilliant.

Apple it is then.

LB
    I’d never call you a dickhead. You used to travel away with the Bear, didn’t you?

Micky
    When I said in the deep and distant past, it was because it’s all got away from me in the last few years.
    I’d be no better than your freak nerd these days.

I did, but only once.

Right, must go.

Draw in the mancs v dippers game?
    Or are we van pussy supporters today?

Chas
    Bollocks :-)
    Worth a try.

LB
    It was one of my favourite AA stories too. :)

I am confused.

Are we saying Sony phones or Apple phones are the way forward?

I have to go.

I’d rather a Pool win, as once we’ve beaten Spurs, that’ll be both both Spuds and Utd condemned to Europa and we can focus on the Double :-)

Sony for the camera is all I’m saying.

87. White Bear says:

Micky – did you delete the browsing history? Did you install Spybot as I suggested before?

88. White Bear says:

and this Click the tools button (it is in the top righthand corner and looks like a cog), then select internet options. Go to the Privacy tab, and under Pop-up Blocker, select the Turn on Pop-up Blocker check box, and then tap ok.

89. Sav from Australia says:

If its Ads and Popups that need stopping, I use Adblock-Plus on Firefox. And the new Comodo Firewall – which is free – allows you to run the browser in a sandbox format, which means nothing can get through because even if it does, it has nowhere to go.

Better start the PM otherwise Peaches will do unspeakable things. She may use her pop-up blocker again – last time Mrs Raddy was very unhappy

91. White Bear says:

shower chanteur getting ready for the game. That’s a tough one – it would be better for us if United win, but the world’s be a better place if they lose

Thanks Bear and Sav.
    I’ll have another go, then enough tech talk.

You’re right Miss White. the world is a better place when Utd lose :-)

93. White Bear says:

get my email from Peaches or Raddy and I will talk you through the process if you get lost :) Doubt you need an expert at all

Evonne
    Back on Mobile as downloaded.your sprint. Something called sphincter is now going crazy unearthing filthy diseases and virus
    Could take a while
    Really, I am completely useless. I don’t need expensive cars or offices for my work. Just a good phone and a good laptop so I try and by the best and then coco them up
    Oooo 759 threats so far :@

Ha ha
    Sphincter and coco
    Text predictor working well

96. Morning

It’s a gorgeous day :)

Oooooooh NLD derby too. I was at the Emirates in January when we dispatched from the FA cup and made them look really ordinary ……… Looking forward to more of the same today :)

97. Sorry wrong me ……… Just going to change the settings

98. White Bear says:

Micky – no good having an Aga cooker if you cannot boil an egg (moi). So having a good laptop requires certain skills or good friends (moi). Get my email, we can flirt :)

Evonne
    Ha ha
    Don’t agree. You get what you pay for so buy the best you can.
    Wow, I think your software might have worked. Been here for two minutes and no ad’s.
    Off to try from Explorer now

Sorry. PM took longer than expected – interrupted by a West Ham fan whittering on about how feckless their manager is and how he is destroying the club.

This is an amusing read

101. Tin hats on guys ………….

…….. We have a New post ……………

102. I know what you are doing, please; let me finish the grateful column by myself, because I have a lot
    of things to add. Whatever, be the size of your PC monitor, your computer will never miss the presence of new-age wallpapers.
    The flowers inside the bubbles are so bright and beautiful.